Why Choose Crutchfield?
Great gear and expert advice
Our experts help you pick the ideal gear for your needs.Meet our advisors
Free tech support for the life of your gear.Read about our one-on-one expert help
You may return items that are complete and like new for any reason within 60 days.See the details of our return policy
Earn one point for every dollar you spend and use those points to save on future purchases.Get full details on Crutchfield Rewards
Deep discounts on car installation gear
We offer vehicle-specific installation instructions, dash kits, wiring harnesses, and speaker accessories at deeply discounted prices with car stereo and speaker purchases. Available for most vehicles.Learn more
Trusted since 1974
Our customers have trusted us with their business, and they’ve helped us win awards for our service.Check out our most recent awards
The manufacturer’s warranty always applies.See more details
JL Audio CL-RLC
Remote level control and line driver
Item # 136CLRLC | MFR # 98117
This item is no longer available.
Our take on the JL Audio CL-RLC by Crutchfield's Ken Nail
The JL Audio CL-RLC remote level control and line driver adds versatility to your system, by allowing you to:
1) control the level of a subwoofer amplifier from your dash;
2) add an auxiliary sound source to your system and control its level;
3) add a separate audio zone to a boat or limo, and control its level.
Connect the CL-RLC in-line with the signal feeding a subwoofer amplifier, and control your sub's level with the included volume knob. The volume control stays isolated from the signal path so you won't inject any extra noise into your system. The pass-through connection allows you to send a full-range signal to another amp in your system.
The CL-RLC will also control a full-range signal. You can use it to adjust the volume of a separate amplifier in a second audio zone, or to feed the output of an iPod® or other auxiliary source to an external amplifier.
I am using it as a 2nd zone for the outside of my RV. It works perfectly and would highly recommended it as a 2nd zone for an RV or boat.
JB, Palm Springs
What's in the Box:
- 2-Channel remote level control preamplifier
- Wired remote control knob
- 18' Wired remote connection cable
- 2 Nuts
- 2 Washers
- active level control preamplifier for amplifiers and accessory devices
- control the level of a subwoofer amplifier, an auxiliary device, or add a zone level control to a boat or limo
- works independently or in conjunction with the CL441dsp CleanSweep
- one set of inputs, stereo variable outputs, stereo pass-through
- dimensions: 1-11/16"W x 4"H x 1-1/4"D
- warranty: 2 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
JL Audio CL-RLC Reviews
Average Customer Review(s):
Thanks for submitting your review
Overview: The JL Audio CL-RLC 2-Channel Remote Level Control/Line Driver is a true, active level control preamplifier which can be used for subwoofer level control or as an audiophile-grade, full-range volume control. The CL-RLC's differential-balanced inputs minimize the likelihood of noise, while its dependable preamp design delivers up to 7.5 VRMS of unclipped output to your amplifier. Unlike inexpensive, passive line-level controls, no signal passes through the CL-RLC's control cable and knob. Instead, the control knob only sends volume level signals to the preamp circuit in order to maximize fidelity and minimize the possibility of noise.
Subwoofer Level: By inserting the CL-RLC in-line with any signal feeding a subwoofer amplifier you can control the subwoofer level from the front of your vehicle using the supplied control knob. The CL-RLC can be used as a subwoofer level control for the JL Audio CleanSweep CL441dsp or any amplifier. The wired remote control comes supplied with an 18' connection cable. The wired remote control knob measure 0.795" wide x 0.789" tall x 1.665" deep.
Pass-Through: Another important feature is a buffered pass-through connection so that you can also pass signal along (without volume control) to a satellite amplifier from the same input channels. The unit features a variable and fixed stereo preamp output.
Full-Range Volume Control: Since the CL-RLC uses top-quality active circuitry, its application is not just limited to subwoofer duty. It can be used wherever you want to have volume control over any line-level signal. For example, you can use it to control a center-channel level, rear channel levels, or even the level of an iPod input directly to an amplifier.
Connections: The CL-RLC features the following input and output connections.
- Input: The CL-RLC features a left and right stereo RCA input on a 7" pigtail for connecting input signal
- Fixed Out: The unit features a pass-through, left and right stereo RCA fixed output on a 7" pigtail for feeding the input signal to amplifier.
- Variable Out: The unit features a pass-through, left and right stereo RCA variable output on a 7" pigtail for feeding the input signal to amplifier.
- Remote: The CL-RLC features an RJ-11 port on a 7.5" pigtail for connecting the supplied wired remote control volume knob.
- IGN: The unit features a 13" red power wire for switched power.
- +12V: The unit features a 13" yellow power wire for constant power.
- GND: The CL-RLC features a 13" black ground wire for grounding the unit.
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.