Why Choose Crutchfield?
Great gear and expert advice
Our experts help you pick the ideal gear for your needs.Meet our advisors
Free tech support for the life of your gear.Read about our one-on-one expert help
You may return items that are complete and like new for any reason within 60 days.See the details of our return policy
Earn one point for every dollar you spend and use those points to save on future purchases.Get full details on Crutchfield Rewards
Deep discounts on car installation gear
We offer vehicle-specific installation instructions, dash kits, wiring harnesses, and speaker accessories at deeply discounted prices with car stereo and speaker purchases. Available for most vehicles.Learn more
Trusted since 1974
Our customers have trusted us with their business, and they’ve helped us win awards for our service.Check out our most recent awards
The manufacturer’s warranty always applies.See more details
Sennheiser RS 170
Wireless headphones with docking station
Item # 143RS170 | MFR # 502874
This item is no longer available.
Our take on the Sennheiser RS 170 by Crutchfield's Dave Bar
Sennheiser's RS 170 wireless headphones make a great choice for movie and TV buffs. Their dynamic bass boost and virtual surround sound processing simulate the spaciousness and impact of a full home theater system. The comfortable, cushioned earcups sit around your ears to seal out external noise. And with a listening range of up to 260 feet, these 'phones let you roam freely throughout your living area — make popcorn during TV commercials or stay up for a late-night movie while your spouse sleeps soundly next to you.
Exceptionally "Kleer™" wireless technology
The RS 170s use Kleer wireless technology to deliver uncompressed stereo sound. Unlike other wireless technologies, Kleer delivers lossless, CD-quality digital audio, which means you won't be able to tell the difference between these headphones and your wired ones. Multi-receiver mode allows two or more people using Sennheiser Kleer headphones to listen to the same audio source, so you can easily share music, movies, or TV shows with your friends and family.
Convenient storage and easy setup
The multi-purpose transmitter keeps your headphones charged up and ready to go. It also doubles as a docking station, so you'll never forget where you put them. Wireless setup is easy — just connect the transmitter to a spare headphone jack or RCA audio output using the included cable. Then plug the transmitter into an AC power outlet. Automatic tuning does the rest, pairing with the headphones for interference-free sound.
From the review Sennheiser RS 170 wireless headphones
"Sound quality was on a par with, or better than, many wired headphones I've used in the past, and they did a solid job getting my music or video audio track to where I was, with no transmission noise or dropouts. Setting [up the RS 170] was easy — a plug and play operation and the form factor of the headphones and their stand almost seemed to invite me to use them."
— Ken Nail, Crutchfield Video Producer and A/V Writer
good headphones I bought these as a second pair old ones I've had 15 years and still going strong
What's in the Box:
- HDR-170 Wireless headphones
- TR-170 Transmitter
- 2 "AAA" Ni-MH rechargeable batteries (600 mAh)
- AC adapter (output 5V/500mA) with 57" cord
- 4 AC adapter plugs (US/EU/UK/AU)
- 44" Minijack cable
- 12" Minijack-to-RCA adapter cable (with a female 3.5mm connector on one end and male stereo RCA connectors on other end)
- 1/8" to 1/4" Adapter
- Wire holder
- Wire holder clip
- Instruction Manual CD-ROM
- Quick Guide
- Safety Guide
- comfortable over-the-ear design with padded, sealed earcups and a padded headband
- Kleer wireless technology delivers uncompressed stereo transmission over 2.4 GHz to 2.8 GHz wireless frequency range
- multi-receiver mode enables up to four people to listen to the same source
- multi-purpose transmitter also functions as a charger and docking station for the headphones
- range: up to 260 feet
- selectable Dynamic Bass Boost delivers deep bass response
- selectable surround sound mode provides an engaging experience for movies
- headphones include volume control, on/off switch, and automatic pairing to transmitter
- full-range dynamic drivers with neodymium magnets
- frequency response: 18-21,000 Hz
- impedance: 32 ohms
- total harmonic distortion: <0.5% at 1 kHz
- 3.6-foot detachable audio cable with 1/8" mini headphone plug 1/4" adapter and RCA audio adapter also included
- includes multi-country AC power cable
- headphones use 2 "AAA" NiMH rechargeable batteries (included)
- weight: 7.6 oz. for headphones/receiver (without batteries); 7.6 oz. for transmitter (without batteries)
- warranty: 2 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
Sennheiser RS 170 Reviews
Average Customer Review(s):
Thanks for submitting your review
Features and Specs
|Earcup Width x Height||3.535" x 4.075"|
|Mic For Taking Calls||No|
|Frequency Response||18-21k Hz|
|1/4-inch Adapter Included||Yes|
|Parts Warranty||2 Years|
|Labor Warranty||2 Years|
Overview: The Sennheiser RS 170 RF stereo hi-fi wireless headphone system offers transparent and balanced sound imaging with excellent bass response making it ideal for hi-fi, home cinema, and TV use. The Sennheiser RS 170 wireless headphone system is made up of a pair of wireless headphones (HDR 170) and a multi-purpose transmitter (TX 170) which also functions as an charging cradle and docking station. The RS 170 also features a Dynamic Bass Boost and Surround Sound simulation mode for your favorite music and movies. The RS 170 utilizes Kleer's uncompressed digital wireless audio transmission, offering a range of up to 260 feet, audiophile-grade sound, and reception to four optional pairs of Sennheiser Kleer headphones. The Sennheiser RS 170 offers automatic, interference-free pairing between the headphone and transmitter.
Kleer Wireless Transmission Technology: The Sennheiser RS 170 headphone system features the digital wireless audio transmission technology from Kleer (with a range up to 260'). Kleer technology transmits uncompressed audio over a robust 2.4 GHz digital link (2.4-2.8GHz), enabling you to enjoy your music with the hassle of cables. Kleer's uncompressed digital wireless transmission delivers CD-quality sound.
Note: Kleer technology will not interfere with wireless networks or other 2.4 GHz devices.
Wireless Headphones: The RS 170's wireless headphones utilize audiophile-level transducer systems with powerful neodymium magnets for clear and detailed audio reproduction. The over-the-ear private earcups provide exceptional detailed, full-bodied sound reproduction. The around-the-ear design also prevents sound leakage. Leatherette earpads and an adjustable cushioned headband provide a comfortable fit. The headphones receive their wireless stereo audio signal from the included transmitter. The wireless headphones are powered by two supplied rechargeable NiMH "AAA" batteries (for up to 24 hrs). You can place the headphones on the multi-purpose transmitter to recharge the batteries (approx. 16 hrs).
Note: The headphones can operate off of "AAA" alkaline (1.5V) batteries or NiMH (1.2V/600mAh) rechargeable batteries.
Multi-Purpose Transmitter: The transmitter connects to your television's or audio system's audio output and then transmits the audio signal wirelessly to the RS 170's wireless headphones. The Multi-purpose transmitter also functions as a charging cradle and docking station. The transmitter operates off of standard house-hold AC current via the included AC power adapter.
Bass Boost & Surround Sound: The Sennheiser RS 170 features selectable Dynamic Bass Boost to deliver deep bass response. It also features selectable Surround Sound simulation for a private movie theater experience.
Multi-Receiver Mode: Up to 4 Sennheiser Kleer headphones can be connected to one transmitter so 4 people can listen to the same sound source.
Note: Additional Kleer headphones sold separately.
Auto Power Off: If there is no signal from the transmitter for more than 5 minutes, the headphones automatically switch to standby mode. If the headphones are outside the transmission range or switched to off for more than 5 minutes, the transmitter automatically switches to standby mode.
- Multi-Function: With the multi-function button, you can switch the transmitter on, to standby mode, set the transmitter to multi-user operation, and associate the transmitter.
- Surround: Activates or deactivates 3D surround sound.
- Bass: Activates or deactivates the dynamic bass boost function.
- Attenuator: The attenuator switch allows you to select 0dB or -8dB to match the incoming audio signal of your audio source for optimal sound performance.
- Multi-Function: With the multi-function button, you can switch the headphones on, to standby mode, set the headphones to multi-user operation, mute the headphones, and associate the headphones.
- Surround: Activates or deactivates 3D surround sound.
- Bass: Activates or deactivates the dynamic bass boost function.
- Volume: Allows you to increase the volume of the headphones.
- Audio In: 3.5mm input to connect to your TV using the supplied minijack cable or optional minijack-to-RCA cable.
- Charging Contacts: Interfaces with charging contacts on headset to charge the "AAA" NiMH batteries.
- DC Input: For use with supplied AC adapter.
- Charging Contacts: Interfaces with charging contacts on transmitter to charge the "AAA" NiMH batteries.
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.
2 questions already asked
YES,Great sound. This is the best wireless headphone I have ever had. Just plug it into the ipad like any other headphone set. Crutchfield is a great company , I have bought 3 HDTVs from them in last year. [ JOHNNY C Jun 19, 2014 ]
yes [ DAVID Feb 04, 2014 ]
sorry I have neither , but do like them metal walls are the only thing that limits there use or distance of course, sheetrock walls don't. [ mouse Feb 03, 2014 ]
Yes. Anything with a headphone jack. I use this set to listen to iHeart Radio on both my iPhone 5 and iPad Air. [ ROBERT L Feb 02, 2014 ]
Not directlly. The headphone charger is also the transmitter. If the transmitter is plugged into the audio outs on the iPads etc the signal is transmitted out all over the house. It is very effective and the quality is outstanding. This works easily, however If you leave your house this would be rather awkward as the transmitter must be plugged into an a.c. power source. I give the audio quality of these phones at 5 stars. The RS 170 is sturdy, solid, and very comfortable. In the picture shown the headphones are in the position of being charged. So the answer to the question is that the headphones are completely wireless. and are never connected to anything. Any source will be heard in the phones if the sources are directly connected to the transmitter charger' [ ROGER L Feb 02, 2014 ]
Hi Steve, Yes you can use the headphones with either an iPad or iPhone. Use a mini stereo cable (1/8") going from headphone base to your Apple device. Mark [ Mark Feb 02, 2014 ]
Yes it should work, I have not tried them but I see no reason they wouldn`t [ LARRY L Feb 02, 2014 ]
Yes they work great. Just make sure you turn up the volume high on your iPad or iPhone and then control the actual volume you hear using the controls on the headphones. [ JOSEPH Feb 02, 2014 ]
If you purchased the product from Crutchfield, feel free to contact our Tech Support team. They can walk you through the settings on the product and see if there may be a fix. Our toll-free Tech Support number is printed on your invoice, and is also available under the "My Orders" tab in the "My Account" section of our website. If you did not purchase the unit from Crutchfield, then you may want to contact the manufacturer. You can also post your question in our forums: http://community.crutchfield.com. Or try our online support center: http://crutchfield.custhelp.com/app/answers/list/kw/. [ Jeff Dec 07, 2013 ] Staff