Why Choose Crutchfield?
Great gear and expert advice
Our experts help you pick the ideal gear for your needs.Meet our advisors
Free tech support for the life of your gear.Read about our one-on-one expert help
You may return items that are complete and like new for any reason within 60 days.See the details of our return policy
Earn one point for every dollar you spend and use those points to save on future purchases.Get full details on Crutchfield Rewards
Deep discounts on car installation gear
We offer vehicle-specific installation instructions, dash kits, wiring harnesses, and speaker accessories at deeply discounted prices with car stereo and speaker purchases. Available for most vehicles.Learn more
Trusted since 1974
Our customers have trusted us with their business, and they’ve helped us win awards for our service.Check out our most recent awards
The manufacturer’s warranty always applies.See more details
Sennheiser RS220 (Factory Refurbished)
Wireless headphones with docking station
Crutchfield: Sennheiser RS 220 wireless headphones
Item # 143RS220R | MFR # RS220 B-stock
This item is no longer available.
Our take on the Sennheiser RS220 (Factory Refurbished) by Crutchfield's David Brown
Great wireless sound for less with the factory refurbished RS 220
If the crystal-clear sound and wireless capabilities of Sennheiser's RS 220 headphones are just beyond your budget, check out the factory refurbished version. Carefully refurbished and tested by Sennheiser, these headphones will deliver the same great performance as a new pair of RS 220s. They're even backed by the same two-year warranty that is standard with all Sennheiser headphones, so you can be confident they'll meet their stringent quality standards.
Wireless has never sounded so good
Wireless used to mean compromised sound. Not anymore. Thanks to powerful advancements in wireless technology, the experts at Sennheiser have created audiophile-quality headphones certain to please even the most demanding listener without the hassle of wires. Based on the legendary sound of Sennheiser's own HD 600 and HD 650 designs, the RS 220 wireless headphones will deliver your tunes with the kind of clarity that used to be available only with wired models. Their advanced drivers and open-air design help eliminate distortion, allowing these 'phones to fully reproduce the dynamics and details of your music. And plush velour earcups gently surround your ears, letting you enjoy extended listening sessions in total comfort even if you wear glasses.
Interference-free DSSS wireless technology
The RS 220 uses Direct Sequence Spread Spectrum (DSSS) technology to deliver uncompressed, interference-free stereo sound. DSSS works by sequentially spreading and transmitting the digital audio signal over a wide frequency band. If interference occurs at one point within this range, data is automatically shifted to a different frequency, maintaining full CD-quality sound. Multi-receiver mode allows two people using Sennheiser DSSS headphones to listen to the same audio source, so you can easily share music, movies, or TV shows with a friend or family member.
You'll never misplace these headphones
The transmitter base keeps the RS 220 headphones charged up and ready to go. It also doubles as a docking station, so you'll never forget where you put them. Optical and coaxial digital audio inputs, plus a pair of analog RCA jacks, provide versatile connections for your audio/video gear. Each input also includes a duplicate output, allowing you to daisy chain the RS 220's base station with other components in your system. Tactile buttons on the headphones make it easy to adjust volume and balance for perfect sound levels. Plus, you can select your playback sources right from the headphones. That means when it's time to switch music sources or watch TV, you don't even have to get up.
Love the open back. Reminds me of the HD 600's. The range is limited but experience zero dropouts when in the same room. A shame that they cannot handle dolby or DTS. Luckily my TV will decode Dolby or DTS to stereo PCM, which the base will accept.
redgar, Redmond, WA
What's in the Box:
- Refurbished wireless headphones (HDR 220)
- Transmitter (TR 220)
- 2 Rechargeable NiMH batteries (installed in headset)
- AC power adapter (with attached 6' DC cord)
- 4 AC plug adapters (US/EU/UK/AU)
- 7' Digital audio coaxial cable
- 7' Stereo audio RCA cable
- Male 3.5mm-to-Stereo RCA adapter
- Instruction Manual CD-ROM
- Quick Guide
- Safety Guide
- open-back, around-the-ear design with velour padded earcups and a padded, adjustable headband
- Direct Sequence Spread Spectrum (DSSS) technology for uncompressed, interference-free digital audio transmission over 2.4 GHz frequency
- range: up to 300 feet (line of sight) from docking station transmitter and up to 100 feet indoors
- 3 audio input connections: analog stereo RCA, coaxial digital, and optical digital
- 3 audio output connections (for use as pass-through): analog stereo RCA, coaxial digital, and optical digital
- multi-purpose transmitter also functions as a charger and docking station for the headphones
- headphones feature volume control,balance, source input selector, and power on/off button
- frequency response: 16-22,000 Hz
- total harmonic distortion: less than 0.1% at 1 kHz
- includes multi-country AC power cable for docking station
- headphones use 2 NiMH rechargeable batteries (included) for 6 to 8 hours of operation per charge
- RCA audio cable and coaxial digital cable included
- weight: 11.1 oz. for headphones/receiver (with batteries); 16.4 oz. for transmitter/docking station
- warranty: 2 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
Sennheiser RS220 (Factory Refurbished) Reviews
Average Customer Review(s):
Thanks for submitting your review
Features and Specs
|Earcup Width x Height||3.6875" x 4.4375"|
|Mic For Taking Calls||No|
|Frequency Response||16-22k Hz|
|1/4-inch Adapter Included||No|
|Parts Warranty||2 Years|
|Labor Warranty||2 Years|
Overview: The Sennheiser RS 220 digital wireless headphone system transmits uncompressed CD-quality audio over a robust 2.4GHz digital link, enabling you to enjoy your music or movie soundtracks without the hassle of cables. The Sennheiser RS 220 digital wireless headphone system is made up of a pair of wireless headphones (HDR 220) and a multi-purpose transmitter (TX 220) which also functions as an charging cradle and docking station. The RS 220 digital wireless headphone system offers both analog and digital audio connections.
DSSS Wireless Transmission: The Sennheiser RS 220 digital wireless headphone system utilizes DSSS (direct-sequence spread spectrum) to deliver clear, clean, uncompressed audio without the need for tuning. The RS 220 is able to work in crowded RF environments amongst Bluetooth, Kleer, and Wi-Fi signals. The digital wireless headphones have a wireless range up to 300' (line of sight) from multi-purpose transmitter and up to 100' indoors.
Wireless Headphones: The Sennheiser digital wireless headphones employ a dynamic transducer system with powerful neodymium magnets that deliver clear and detailed audio reproduction. The digital wireless headphones utilize an Open-Air speaker system that mimics the acoustic properties of hi-fi speakers for a truly immersing, high-quality sound. The Open-Air speaker system delivers the most natural sounding private wireless audio experience possible. The over-the-ear design also prevents sound leakage. Velour earpads and an adjustable cushioned headband provide a comfortable fit. The headphones receive their 2.4GHz wireless stereo audio signal from the included transmitter. The wireless headphones are powered by two supplied rechargeable NiMH AAA batteries (for up to 8 hrs). You can place the headphones on the multi-purpose transmitter to recharge the batteries (approx. 16 hrs).
Note: The headphones can operate off of AAA alkaline (1.5V) batteries or NiMH (1.2V/800mAh) rechargeable batteries.
Multi-Purpose Transmitter: The multi-purpose transmitter connects to your television's and audio system's digital or analog audio outputs and then transmits the audio signal wirelessly to the RS 220's digital wireless headphones. You can connect up to three audio sources to the transmitter. The transmitter is fitted with two digital inputs/outputs (optical & coaxial) and one analog input/output (RCA). The analog/digital outputs allow signal to be looped through the wireless headphone system, so that the transmitter can be integrated in between two connected components. The multi-purpose transmitter also functions as a charging cradle and docking station. The transmitter operates off of standard household AC current, via the included AC power adapter.
Multi-Receiver Mode: Up to two Sennheiser digital wireless headphones can be connected to one transmitter so two people can listen to the same sound source.
Auto Power Off: If there is no signal from the transmitter for more than three minutes, the headphones automatically switch to standby mode. If the headphones are outside the transmission range or switched to off for more than ten minutes, the transmitter automatically switches to standby mode.
- On/Off: The On/Off button turns the digital wireless headphones On or Off.
- Input: The Input button lets you select between analog and digital audio sources.
- Balance: The Balance control allows for right/left volume adjustment.
- Volume: The Volume control lets you increase/decrease the volume of the headphones.
- On/Off: The On/Off button turns the digital wireless headphone system On or Off.
- Input: The Input button lets you select between analog and digital audio sources.
- Level: The Level control dial allows you to individually adjust the transmitter to your audio source in order to achieve optimum sound quality.
- Pair: The Pair button connects one or two digital wireless headphones to the transmitter.
- Charging Contacts: Charging contacts are integrated into the adjustable headband that interface with charging contacts on the transmitter to charge the included AAA NiMH batteries.
- Digital Audio Inputs/Outputs: The multi-purpose transmitter is fitted with digital audio inputs and outputs (PCM only, will not accept Dolby Digital or DTS signals). There are optical (toslink) and coaxial (RCA) input and output connectors. The digital inputs provide connection to your HDTV and satellite/cable box. The digital outputs allow digital audio signals to be looped through wireless headphone system, so that the transmitter can be integrated between two existing connected components, such as your TV and home theater receiver.
- Analog Audio Input/Output: The multi-purpose transmitter is fitted with Stereo RCA analog audio inputs and outputs. The stereo RCA input provides connection to your HDTV or other analog source component. The stereo RCA output allows analog audio signals to be looped through wireless headphone system, so that the transmitter can be integrated into an existing connection between 2 devices, such as your TV and home stereo receiver.
- Charging Contacts: Charging contacts are integrated into the transmitter and interface with charging contacts on headset to charge the AAA NiMH batteries.
- DC Input: The DC input connects to the supplied AC adapter (Input: 100-240V~0.3A, 50-60Hz; Output: 9V-1.12A). There are 4 AC adapter plugs (US/UK/EU/AU) included.
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.
1 question already asked
I forwarded your question to an Advisor and they responded with the following: The Sennheiser headphones can be used with a Samsung 43 inch plasma as long as the plasma television has an audio output. The headphones have a analog stereo RCA input, coaxial digital input, and an optical digital input so as long as the television has one of those audio outputs, they will work. If you would like to discuss further you can contact an Advisor directly by phone (1-800-324-9695) or online chat. [ Krissy Jun 08, 2014 ] Staff