Why Choose Crutchfield?
Great gear and expert advice
Our experts help you pick the ideal gear for your needs.Meet our advisors
Free tech support for the life of your gear.Read about our one-on-one expert help
You may return items that are complete and like new for any reason within 60 days.See the details of our return policy
Earn one point for every dollar you spend and use those points to save on future purchases.Get full details on Crutchfield Rewards
Deep discounts on car installation gear
We offer vehicle-specific installation instructions, dash kits, wiring harnesses, and speaker accessories at deeply discounted prices with car stereo and speaker purchases. Available for most vehicles.Learn more
Trusted since 1974
Our customers have trusted us with their business, and they’ve helped us win awards for our service.Check out our most recent awards
The manufacturer’s warranty always applies.See more details
720p sports action camera
Item #: 146XS20HDC
This item is no longer available.
Our take on the Polaroid XS20HDC by Crutchfield's Woody Sherman
So what's it feel like?
The Polaroid XS20HD sports action camcorder is ready for duty in the water.
You can tell people what it's like to shoot Class 5+ rapids til you're blue in the face. But the fact is, you're asking people to visualize something they have no experience to re-create. The best they can do is remember that time they tried water skiing and ended up getting towed face-first through the water at 15 knots. So how do you really communicate the thrill of the experience?
Take them along for the ride
Perhaps you should start with the Polaroid XS20HD sports action camera. It's primed to deliver the raw power of walls of water rushing at you at breakneck speed. Once you lock it on your helmet with the included mount, it will see the entire run the way you do — and you'll know it's on without having to look, because it vibrates to confirm the recording. So turn your head and show your audience what it's like to ride down a "stompin' gnar" — with a panoramic 120-degree field of view. Now, just maybe, your audience will have an inkling of the sheer adrenaline ride you're on.
The many flavors of video
The XS200HD takes vivid 720/30p video, and has a few other features of interest. It can be set to start shooting stills or video when it detects motion, and it has built-in LED lights, to illuminate close-up items. Things like this might be handy when trying to grab a shot of some unsuspecting aquatic life, once your journey lets you out in more placid surroundings.
Ready for any kind of action
This camcorder is not only good at the wet and wild challenges -- it features impressive shock, dirt, and dust resistance as well. So go ahead and show the world what you're made of. The Polaroid XS20HD is ready to make you the action star of your own movie.
What's in the Box:
- HD Action camera (white)
- Water seal (installed)
- Bicycle handlebar mount
- 2 Rubber grips
- Helmet mount base
- Dual-sided 3M adhesive pad
- Straight ball joint
- Angled ball joint
- Helmet mount nut
- 40" USB cable (Type A USB on one end and Mini-B 2.0 USB on other end)
- 40" AV cable (2.5mm sub-mini plug on one end and composite video and mono audio RCA plugs on other end)
- Cloth storage pouch
- PC-Cam Software on CD-ROM disc (8 cm)
- User Guide
- Warranty sheet
- captures HD video in 720p/30
- built-in motion detector triggers camera to start recording or taking stills automatically
- file formats: AVI (video); PCM, mono (audio)
- waterproof to 20m and shock-, dust- and dirt-resistant
- built-in LED lights have 2 brightness settings for illuminating close subjects
- snaps 5-megapixel still JPEG images
- records to MicroSD and MicroSDHC cards (not included)
- fixed-focus 120° wide-angle lens
- 1/2.5" 5-megapixel CMOS sensor
- USB port for easy connection to a PC (cable included)
- composite A/V output port for easy playback on a TV (cable included)
- built-in 850 mAh battery (approximately 3 hours of operation on a full charge)
- helmet and handlebar mounts plus mounting hardware
- carrying pouch
- 1-7/16"W x 1-3/4"H x 3-11/16"D
- weight: 2.65 oz. with battery and memory
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
Features and Specs
|LCD Screen Size (inches)||N/A|
|Total Pixel Count||---|
|Effective Pixel Count for Video||---|
|Built-in Video Light||Yes|
|Max Recording Time w/ Included Battery||3 hours|
|Digital Still Camera Features|
|Effective Pixel Count for Stills||5MP|
|Built-in Photo Flash||No|
|Still Image Aspect Ratios||4:3|
|Inputs and Outputs|
|USB Port||2.0 High Speed|
|Weight With Battery (ounces)||2.65|
|Parts Warranty||1 Year|
|Labor Warranty||1 Year|
|Image Sensor Warranty||1 Year|
Overview: The Polaroid XS20 is a small action camera that can record HD video and 5 MP still images. The camera has a wide-angle lens with a wide viewing range of 120°. It comes with a self-adhesive helmet mount and a bicycle handlebar clamp mount. The camera has a waterproof housing that allows use as deep as 60 feet under water. The supplied waterproof plug keeps water out of the rear operation panel (card slot, USB and AV output jacks).
Recording Formats: The XS20 records 1280 x 720p video at 30 fps in the AVI HD video format with PCM audio. You can set the video quality (resolution) to High, Standard, or Low. It will also record 2560 x 1920 (5 MP) still images in the JPEG format.
Memory Cards: The camera has a slot for a microSD card, and will accept microSD and microSDHC cards between 1 GB and 32 GB. Class 6 or higher cards are recommended. You can view files on the microSD card through the camera when connected to a computer or TV, or remove the microSD card and use a card reader to view the files.
Loop Recording: When the memory card becomes full, the camera will delete the first recorded video clip or still image and overwrite it with the most current video or still image. You can turn off the looping feature by programming the camera to stop recording when the flash card is full.
LED Lights: The XS20 is equipped with 8 bright-white LEDs that can be turned on to illuminate your subject and enhance video quality. The top-mounted Light Button acts as a three-way switch. The first press turns on all 8 LEDs, the second press reduces the light output to 4 LEDs, and the third press turns off the lights. The LEDs can be used in any of the four recording modes.
Recording Modes: You can set the XS20 to one of the four recording modes:
- Manual Video Recording: The camera begins recording video when the Execute button is pressed, and stops when the button is pressed again. Continuous video is recorded for 20 minutes, at which time the camera will save the clip, and resume recording in a new file.
- Manual Photo-Taking: In the still image mode, the camera will take a single image each time the Execute button is pressed.
- Motion-Detect Video Recording: In the Motion-Detect mode, the camera will automatically take video clips of moving objects for a preset length of 10 seconds, 1 minute, 5 minutes, or 10 minutes. Each clip is saved as a separate file.
- Motion-Detect Photo-Taking: In this mode, the camera will take a single image each time it senses subject movement.
PC Camera: The camera can be connected to your computer via the supplied USB 2.0 cable and used as a PC camera. You must first install the driver program from the supplied CD-ROM software disc. The LED lighting panel can be used to enhance the video quality, if needed. Third-party application software may be needed in order to view and save real-time video to your computer.
TV Out Function: You can connect the camera to your TV using the supplied AV cable via the AV out (composite) terminal to view videos or still images. While connected to the TV, you can use the camera in the Motion Detect Monitor mode. In this mode, live video appears on the screen and the camera sets itself to Motion Detect mode. When the camera detects movement, the camera will automatically record a video clip of a preset length (10 sec, 1 min, 5 mins, or 10 mins). You can also set the camera to take still images instead of videos when motion is detected.
Note: The video output format can be set to NTSC or PAL.
Power Requirements: The XS20 has a built-in, non-removable 3.7V 850mAh Lithium-Ion rechargeable battery, which charges via USB in approximately 3 hours. The battery life is approximately 3 hours (without the LED lights on).
Software: The camera comes with a CD-ROM loaded with software, including a Time-Date Stamp Utility. This program will set the camera's system time, and will record time-date stamp data on the video and still image files.
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.