Why Choose Crutchfield?
Great gear and expert advice
Our experts help you pick the ideal gear for your needs.Meet our advisors
Free tech support for the life of your gear.Read about our one-on-one expert help
You may return items that are complete and like new for any reason within 60 days.See the details of our return policy
Earn one point for every dollar you spend and use those points to save on future purchases.Get full details on Crutchfield Rewards
Deep discounts on car installation gear
We offer vehicle-specific installation instructions, dash kits, wiring harnesses, and speaker accessories at deeply discounted prices with car stereo and speaker purchases. Available for most vehicles.Learn more
Trusted since 1974
Our customers have trusted us with their business, and they’ve helped us win awards for our service.Check out our most recent awards
The manufacturer’s warranty always applies.See more details
Garmin Colorado 400c
Handheld GPS navigator with maritime maps of U.S. and Bahamas
Item # 150CO400C | MFR # 010-00622-61
This item is no longer available.
Our take on the Garmin Colorado 400cby Crutchfield's Ralph Graves
The Garmin Colorado 400c comes with BlueChart® coastal charts, making it a great companion for saltwater mariners. This waterproof navigator features detailed maps that include shorelines, depth contours, navaids, marinas and port plans even coastal roads for the U.S. and Bahamas. Its highly sensitive GPS receiver acquires satellites quickly and works well under challenging conditions.
Pre-loaded maps and an expansion card slot
The navigator comes pre-loaded with a shaded relief basemap of the world in addition to its detailed coastal maps. You can supplement the built-in maps with pre-loaded MapSource® SD cards from Garmin. The navigator's SD card slot is contained inside its waterproof battery compartment, protecting your additional topographical or marine maps from loss or damage.
A big, bright display for maps and photos
The large, three-inch color display makes it easy to see map information, even in bright sunlight. You can also view digital photos stored on an SD memory card you insert in the unit's expansion slot. An intuitive thumb wheel control makes for easy operation one-handed operation.
Short-range wireless data sharing and other cool extras
Send your own custom waypoints and routes wirelessly to other Garmin Colorado navigators to share your favorite trips with your friends. An electronic compass and barometric altimeter give you accurate location and altitude readings. You also get a dedicated geocaching mode, storage for up to 1,000 user-defined waypoints, and a handy outdoor calendar that lists the best regional hunting and fishing times and sunrise/sunset times.
- handheld GPS navigator for use outdoors, in a car, or on a boat
- 3" backlit LCD display (240 x 400 pixels) with built-in picture viewer
- WAAS (Wide Area Augmentation System) capability improves GPS accuracy to within 3 meters
- electronic compass and barometric altimeter
- elevation plotter
- Rock n' Roller wheel control for one-hand operation
- short-range wireless transfer of data to other Garmin Colorado navigators
- pre-loaded BlueChart® coastal chart of U.S. and Bahamas
- pre-loaded worldwide basemap with shaded relief
- route calculation with visual turn-by-turn directions
- 1,000 user waypoints with name and graphic symbol
- 10,000-point automatic track log saves up to 20 tracks
- 50-route memory
- 384MB embedded memory
- SD card slot allows for storage of optional MapSource detail (SD card not included)
- trip computer with odometer, average speed, total time, current direction, and more
- high-speed USB connection (cable included)
- outdoor calendar with best fishing/hunting times and sunrise/sunset times
- alarm clock and stopwatch
- standard and scientific calculators
- waterproof design (can withstand accidental immersion in one meter of water for up to 30 minutes)
- 15 hours typical use on two "AA" batteries (not included)
- detachable carabiner clip
- 2-7/16"W x 5-1/2"D x 1-7/16"D
- weight: 7.3 oz. with batteries (not included)
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
What's in the Box:
- Handheld GPS unit
- Carabiner clip
- 39" USB cable with a miniUSB type-B connector on one end and a USB type-A connector on other end
- Trip & Waypoint Manager CD-ROM
- Owner's Manual
- Quick Start Guide
- Important Safety and Product Information note
- BlueChart Copyright and Warning Requirements sheet
- MapSource products brochure
- "Attention" note attached to USB cable
Waterproof Design: The Garmin Colorado 400c all-terrain, hand-held GPS features a rugged, metal-plated, fully gasketed water resistant (IPX7) housing.
GPS Antenna: The Garmin Colorado 400c features a built-in GPS Quad Helix antenna for quick satellite acquisition. The unit also features an external antenna connection.
GPS Receiver: The GPS receiver used in the Colorado 400c is WAAS enabled. The Wide Aras Augmentation System (WAAS) is made up of satellites and ground reference station positioned across the United States that monitor GPS satellite data to help improve its accuracy.
Color LCD Display: The Garmin handheld GPS unit offers a 1.53" (W) x 2.55" (H), transreflective color TFT (240x 400 pixels) backlit LCD display. You can set the display's backlight to stay on when the unit is turned on, or to turn off after a selected period of time has elapsed. You can also choose from different preloaded images or load your own for the unit's LCD display background. In addition, you can adjust the color of the soft key labels.
Light-Weight: The handheld GPS unit only weighs 7.3 ounces (with optional batteries) and comes with a carabiner clip so it is very easy and convenient to carry with you outdoors.
USB Port: The USB port that is used to connect to your PC to update mapping and software information is housed under a rubber weather-proof cap. It allows for fast and convenient downloads from your computer using the supplied 39" USB cable.
Power Supply: The unit operates on two "AA" batteries (not supplied). You can use either Alkaline, Lithium or NiMH batteries. Stored data is not lost when you need to remove or replace the batteries. The unit can also be powered from your computer using the USB connection with the supplied USB cable or from an optional 12 volt DC adapter.
SD Card Slot: The unit features an SD Card slot to load additional detailed maps and to view JPEG still images. This GPS unit does not come supplied with an SD card.
Locking Battery Compartment: The Colorado 400c batteries and SD-card slot are installed inside a rubber-housed compartment with a locking latch to keep an optional card and batteries safe from the elements.
Rock'n Roller Input Wheel: The Colorado 400c features an intuitive Rock 'n Roller input wheel for easy one-handed operation. The Rock'n Roller input wheel rotates clockwise and counter-clockwise, and can be used to move through the lists on any of the Colorado 400c screens and to zoom in our out on the map. The Rock'n Roller input wheel can also be used to enter text using an on-screen list of alphanumeric characters.
384 MB Built-In Memory Preloaded Maps: The Garmin Colorado 400c features a 384 MB built-in memory and is preloaded with the MapSource World Base Map and US Bluechart g2 Map.
- World Base Map: The general worldwide basemap provides basic cartography, including interstates, motorways, oceans and various other general reference detail as well as political boundaries and principal cities and towns. The World Base Map does not include any detailed mapping data.
- BlueChart Map: BlueChart is Garmin's exclusive marine cartography. The Bluechart Map's marine cartography provides the detail of paper charts when viewed on the Colorado 400c but with a 3D perspective for the U.S. and Bahamas. Details include shorelines, depth contours, navaids, harbors, marinas, and port plans coastal roads. You can even view chart name, number, scale, revision date and the latest Notice to Mariners update.
Note: Garmin offers additional detailed mapping data via optional SD-cards (sold separately).
MapSource Trip And Waypoint Manager: The Colorado 400c comes supplied the MapSource Trip and Waypoint Manager CD-ROM. MapSource Trip and Waypoint Manager allows you to transfer waypoints, routes and tracks between the Garmin GPS device and your PC. Included is a general world-wide basemap that provides basic cartography. The basic map included is for general reference only, and detailed maps cannot be loaded to any Garmin device using this software. Your PC will need to meet the following requirements to use this software - Windows 2000 or newer, minimum 32 MB of Ram, minimum 200MB of free hard drive space, CD-ROM reader, Adobe Acrobat Reader software 6.0 or newer.
Map Orientation: The Colorado 400c features a two-dimensional on-screen map that can be set to one of two orientations and a 3-dimensional view.
- North Up: Always shows north at the top of the page.
- Track Up: Shows your current track toward the top of the page.
- 3D: 3D perspective of Bluechart data (only available for marine use)
Profiles: Profiles are a collection of settings that allow you to optimize the Colorado 400c from one type of use to another, such as moving from recreational use to automotive use. Because the Colorado 400c can be used for a variety of GPS functions, saving specific profiles for different functionalities allows you to quickly move from one type of activity to another. It also allows you to easily share the Colorado 400c with another user. The Colorado 400c comes preloaded with five default profiles - Recreational, Geocaching, Automotive, Marine and Fitness. You can also create your own profiles.
- Recreational: The Recreational Mode is designed for pedestrian travel.
- Geocaching: Geocaching is a high-tech version of treasure hunting. Geocacher seek hidden treasures using GPS coordinates posted on the Internet by those hiding the geocache. Using the Colorado 400c, you can search the backwoods or urban streets to find the hiding spot of the geocache. The first step in using the Colorado to hunt and find geocaches is to download a geocache from www.geocaching.com. The Colorado 400c is supported by the site, and after registering, you can download geocaches directly to the Colorado 400c.
- Automotive: The Automotive Mode is a perspective map for use while driving.
- Marine: The Marine mode features helpful functions for marine use. The Marine mode features four alarms to warn you of the following - Anchor Drag, Off Course, Deep Water, Shallow Water.
- Fitness: The Fitness Mode is designed to connect the Colorado 400c to an optional Garmin Heart Rate Monitor or Garmin Bike Cadence Sensor.
Navigating: You can navigate to a destination with the Colorado 400c either by using the Where To? menu, by choosing a point on the map or using other various options. The Colorado 400c provides several categories you can use to search for and navigate to your destination.
- Recent Finds: The Recent Finds Page shows a list of the last items you have searched for or gone to recently.
- Waypoints: Waypoints are locations you record and store in the Colorado 400c that you might want to return to later or share with other users. You can mark up to 1,000 waypoints at any time on the Colorado 400c. You can edit waypoints to change the symbol, name, comment, location, elevation and depth.
- Tracks:A list of tracks on the Colorado 400c. Tracks create an electronic bread crumb trail. The track log starts recording as soon as the Colorado 400c gets a location fix. This unit can save up to 20 tracks with 10,000 points. Additional tracks can be archived from your current track and shared with other users. You can views the tracks from on the Track Page, Map, Elevation Profiles or Navigation Page.
- Routes: A list of up to 50 routes stored on the Colorado 400c. You can customize your routes by indicating Off-Road, Fastest On-Road Time, or Shortest Distance On-Road Time. You can also indicate your means of transportation and certain road-types you would like to avoid.
- Geocache: A list of downloaded geocaches to search for using the Colorado 400c (requires downloading from www.geocaching.com).
- All POI (Points of Interest): If supported by optional mapping SD-cards (sold separately) or using the preloaded database of Bluechart marine POIs, various Points-of-Interest categories may be listed.
- Cities: A list of major cities in current area.
- Tides: A list of major waterways in current area.
- Obstructions: A list of wrecks along the nearest waterways.
- Navaids: A list of the nearest ports in the your area.
- Marine Services: A list of the nearest marine service in your area.
- Restricted Areas: A list of restricted waterways in your area.
Note: By default, the Colorado 400c searches near you current location, but you can configure it to search near another location.
Route Planner: You can plan and create a specific route to navigate using the Colorado 400c. You can choose from two different types of routes.
- Turn-By-Turn Routes: These routes require routable cartography and provide along-the-road guidance to a destination.
- Point-to-Point Routes: These routes provide straight-line guidance to each successive point in the route and does not require special cartography.
Active Route: While actively navigating, you can view your progress along your route.
Compass Page: During active navigation, the Compass page guides you to your destination with a graphic compass display using a pointer. Data files show information such as current speed, distance to the next point on the route and estimated arrival time. The compass ring indicates your heading, and the pointer tells you what direction you should be headed to reach your destination. You must first calibrate the electronic compass outdoors before using.
Elevation Plot: The Elevation Plot page shows you elevation changes over distance or time, or pressure changes over time. You can change the data fields at the top of the page to show various elevation and pressure-related data. The Elevation Plot offers the following option settings.
- Plot Over Time or Plot Over Distance: View changes over a set period of time or over a set distance.
- View Elevation Plot or View Pressure Plot: View a plot of elevation changes that occur over a set distance or view changes in the barometric pressure for a set period of time.
Altimeter Setup: The Altimeter Setup page allows you to set up the altimeter to self-calibrate each time you turn the Colorado 400c on, to function as a barometer, and to continually save pressure trend data.
Trip Computer: The Trip Computer page provides a variety of useful travel data when using the Colorado 400c. Set in either Automotive Mode or Recreational Mode, the Trip Computer indicates your current speed, average speed, maximum speed, trip odometer, and other helpful statistics.
Satellite Page: The Satellite page shows the GPS accuracy, satellite locations, satellite signal strength, the current location, and GPS elevation. The blue bars on the Satellite page indicate that the Colorado 400c has locked onto a satellite. White bars indicate the GPS unit is still collecting ephemeris data.
Shortcuts: As you use the Colorado 400c to geocache, navigate, or fish, you may find there are some applications you use frequently and others not at all. You can add or remove these applications from the unit's Shortcuts menu.
Share Wirelessly: The Colorado 400c can wirelessly share waypoints, routes, tracks and geogcaches with another Colorado 400c wirelessly.
Where I Go: The Where I Go feature is a toolset for creating and playing location-base adventures in the real world. As you sue the Colorado 400c to guide you to a physical location, you can take and use virtual items, interact with characters, and solve puzzles. The Where I Go experience combines physical and virtual elements overlaying engaging story lines onto a real-world background. You can build and play and exciting adventure game or other innovative activities. For additional Where I Go activities visitwww.wherigo.com.
Calendar: The GPS unit's Calendar shows sunrise time, sunset time, and the phase of the moon on each date.
Sun And Moon: The Sun and Moon page shows sunrise, sunset, moonrise and moonset times for specified dates, times and locations.
Almanac: An Almanac provides the predicted best times for hunting and fishing on a chosen date.
Alarm Clark: You can se the Colorado 400c to automatically turn on at a specified time.
Calculator: The Colorado 400c has a standard calculator and a scientific calculator, operable in radians or degrees.
Stopwatch: The Colorado 400c includes a stopwatch with a lap timer. The stopwatch can record the lap time base on distance or on a button press.
Area Calculation: The Colorado 400c can calculate the size of a specific area by pressing start and walking around the perimeter of the area you want to calculate and then pressing stop.
Receiver: 12 channel WAAS enabled/High sensitivity
- approximately 1 second (warm start)
- approximately 33 seconds (cold start)
- approximately 36 seconds (AutoLocate)
Update Rate: 1/second, continuous
GPS Accuracy: <10 meters (33 feet) RMS, 95% typical
DGPS (USGC) Accuracy: 3-5 meters (10-16 feet), 95% typical with DGPS corrections
Velocity Accuracy: 0.01 meter/sec steady state
Compass Accuracy: +/-2 degrees (+/-5 degrees extreme Northern/Southern latitudes)
Altimeter Accuracy: +/-10 feet; 1 foot range between 2,000 to 30,000 feet
Interfaces: Garmin Proprietary (USB)
Weight: 7.3 ounces (with batteries)
Battery Life: Up to 15 hours of typical use
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.