Garmin Forerunner 645
GPS running watch with built-in heart rate monitor (Sandstone)
Our take on the Garmin Forerunner 645 by Crutchfield's Ken Nail
A serious training tool
If you're a serious runner, you want a serious tool on your wrist. There aren't many more capable than Garmin's Forerunner 645 running watch. It's built to record all the important metrics of your run while providing feedback that'll help you up your game. Forerunner also boasts battery life that'll cover the distance, whether you're doing a local 5K or stepping onto the trails for a 50K. You can track the data by selecting from a variety of data fields, or customize the display with Garmin's Face-it™ app, changing the background to any picture stored in your smartphone.
Garmin's smart notifications work with your smartphone to let you receive texts, emails, and alerts on the watch screen. And Forerunner 645 automatically uploads your workout to Garmin Connect, where you can share it with your friends through social media or many popular fitness-tracking apps. Garmin's Live Tracking feature lets your family friends track you in real time — a great safety and race day feature. Forerunner 645 works with Garmin Pay, too, so you can use your watch to buy that post-run snack.
Built-in heart rate monitoring
I've learned through hard experience that heart rate monitoring is an essential tool for getting the most out of a training cycle. There's really no better way to ensure that you push hard enough during your key workouts and that you back off enough on the intensity when you need recovery. Forerunner 645's wrist-based monitoring technology makes it easy to monitor your heart rate and hit your target zones, so you'll know when you need to dial it up and when you need to take it down a notch.
Forerunner 645 offers great tools and analytics for runners, recording data on cadence, ground contact time and vertical oscillation, along with all the usual pace and time metrics you're used to. And using the data it records with its heart rate monitor, it will estimate and track your VO2 max, predicting your performance and suggesting training paces.
If you're joining the growing ranks of the trail running community, Forerunner 645 has tools you'll appreciate. It'll measure your total ascent and descent in the mountains, and the altimeter will clue you in on how many more feet of vertical remain before the top of the mountain. Garmin's TracBack feature makes it easy to retrace your steps if you've taken a wrong turn, too.
Mix it up
Cross-training should be in every runner's training program, and Forerunner 645 is well-equipped for these sessions. When you're in the pool, this watch tracks your distance, pace, stroke count, and more. And quit worrying about keeping track of laps during those long pool sessions — it'll count those for you too. Riding your bike? Forerunner 645 will track your distance and pace like a champ.
- GPS/GLONASS multisport training watch with color illuminated display
- wrist-based heart rate measurement
- compatible with Garmin Connect, Strava, and popular training apps
- text and email smart notifications
- compatible with Garmin Pay
- 1.2" LCD display (240 x 240 pixels)
- built-in rechargeable lithium ion battery allows up to 7 days operation in Smartwatch mode; 14 hours in GPS mode
- time/date, alarm, timer, chimes, and vibration watch functions
- 5 ATM water rating
- GPS speed and distance, AutoLap, AutoPause, interval trainer, heart rate, calorie counter, and lap fitness functions
- VO2 max estimator
- recovery advisor
- race predictor
- records personal records
- swimming metrics and stroke recognition
- pool swimming lap counter
- point to point, breadcrumb, and TracBack GPS navigation
- elevation profiles and ascent/descent tracking
- altimeter, compass, and thermometer
Activity Tracking Features:
- step counter with auto goal setter
- move bar
- sleep monitoring
- 1.75"W x 1.75"H x .55"D
- weight: 1.45 oz
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee