Why Choose Crutchfield?
Great gear and expert advice
Our experts help you pick the ideal gear for your needs.Meet our advisors
Free tech support for the life of your gear.Read about our one-on-one expert help
You may return items that are complete and like new for any reason within 60 days.See the details of our return policy
Earn one point for every dollar you spend and use those points to save on future purchases.Get full details on Crutchfield Rewards
Deep discounts on car installation gear
We offer vehicle-specific installation instructions, dash kits, wiring harnesses, and speaker accessories at deeply discounted prices with car stereo and speaker purchases. Available for most vehicles.Learn more
Trusted since 1974
Our customers have trusted us with their business, and they’ve helped us win awards for our service.Check out our most recent awards
The manufacturer’s warranty always applies.See more details
32" BRAVIA® LCD HDTV
Item #: 15832M4000
This item is no longer available.
Our take on the Sony KDL-32M4000 by Crutchfield's Steve Kindig
The Sony KDL-32M4000 brings crisp, glare-free viewing to any bedroom, office, dorm room or den. This no-frills HDTV emphasizes solid performance and rugged reliability. You get built-in tuners for your local digital and analog over-the-air broadcasts (antenna required). Plus, a "QAM" cable TV tuner lets cable subscribers watch unscrambled channels without a set-top box including HD channels in many areas.
Sony's powerful BRAVIA Engine circuitry applies digital processing to enhance contrast, reduce noise, and ensure natural-looking color. It also upconverts standard-definition video for a picture with more detail and definition. The Advanced Contrast Enhancer dynamically adjusts backlight levels scene by scene to improve overall contrast without masking details in darker areas of the picture.
Back-panel connections include four high-def-capable inputs two HDMI and two component video to handle your best-quality sources. There's also a standard computer input so you can use the KDL-32M4000 as a PC monitor. In fact, the handy PC picture-in-picture feature lets you work on a spreadsheet or other application on the main screen while keeping an eye on a TV channel in the inset window.
What's in the Box:
- 32" LCD TV
- Pedestal stand
- Wireless remote control (RM-YD026)
- 2 "AA" batteries
- 3 Machine screws (each with a flat washer and lock washer)
- Operating Instructions (English)
- Quick Setup Guide
- Instructions for attaching the table top stand
- Warranty sheet
- On-line product registration card
- "Notices and Licenses for Software Used in this Television" sheet
- Important Safety Instructions
- 31.5" screen (measured diagonally)
- widescreen 16:9 aspect ratio
- high-gloss black finish
- built-in digital (ATSC) and analog (NTSC) tuners for over-the-air TV broadcasts (antenna required)
- built-in QAM cable TV tuner receives unscrambled programs without a set-top box (cable service required)
- 1366 x 768 pixels
- 8-millisecond pixel response time
- 2500:1 contrast ratio (9000:1 dynamic)
- BRAVIA Engine 2 digital video processing
- Advanced Contrast Enhancer dynamic backlighting for better contrast and black levels
- PC picture-in-picture (main PC image with TV inset)
- built-in stereo speakers (10 watts x 2)
- remote control
- BRAVIA Theatre Sync simplifies remote control for compatible Sony components (HDMI-CEC)
- picture settings memory for each video input
- 6 A/V inputs, including:
- 2 composite video (1 rear, 1 side)
- 1 S-video
- 2 component video (accepts signals up to 1080i)
- 2 HDMI (accepts signals up to 1080i)
- PC input: analog RGB (D-Sub 15-pin)
- RF input for antenna/cable signals
- coaxial digital audio output for Dolby® Digital
- Energy Star® compliant (new standard) see our article on TV power consumption for more info about this and other testing standards
- detachable stand (stand "footprint" is 16"W x 9-1/2"D)
- wall-mountable (bracket not included)
- 31-7/8"W x 21-3/8"H x 4-3/8"D (23"H x 9-1/2"D on stand)
- weight: 36 lbs. with stand; 31 lbs. without stand
- warranty: 1 year parts & labor in-home service or pick-up for service
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
Features and Specs
NTSC/ATSC/QAM Tuners: The TV is equipped with an analog NTSC tuner, a digital ATSC tuner, and a digital QAM tuner for receiving unscrambled digital cable channels. It is not CableCARD compatible. You do not need to connect an external HDTV set-top box in order to receive High-Definition programming.
Native Resolution: The KDL-32M4000 has a native resolution of 1366 x 768. The TV's 2 HDMI inputs and two component video inputs can accept 480i, 480p, 720p, and 1080i signals.
Bravia Engine Technology: The latest version of Sony's respected Bravia Engine fully digital video processor uses a collection of unique Sony algorithms to significantly reduce noise and produce sharp, vibrant, life-like images. Bravia Engine technology optimizes the color, contrast, detail and clarity of every scene for the exceptional performance. The television offers the following Bravia Engine features.
- Dynamic Noise Reduction: Intelligently identifies and dramatically reduces noise in the signal according to the motion and brightness of each scene for clearer, crisper images.
- Detail Enhancement: Improved image enhancement algorithms render greater overall detail.
- Contrast Enhancement: Works with the Advanced Contrast Enhancer circuit to optimize the contrast for every scene to create better depth and reality.
Advanced Contrast Enhancer (ACE): Part of the cinematic drama in film-making comes from details found in shadows and dark areas of the picture. Sony's Advanced Contrast Enhancer (ACE) uses real-time image processing to dynamically adjust backlight levels for improved contrast without masking details the filmmaker intended you to see. ACE delivers deep blacks in darker scenes, as well as fine details in shadows and other dark areas of the picture for a difference you can truly see.
Bravia Theater Sync: Bravia Theater Sync is based on the industry standard HDMI-CEC function and allows your HDMI cable to do more than just transmit pure digital audio and video signals by allowing one-touch control of compatible Sony Bravia A/V components. Functions include: One-Push Play, One-Push Theater Settings and One-Push System Power-Off.
Screen Modes: You can choose from the following Screen Modes:
- With 4:3 Sources:
- Wide Zoom: Enlarges the center portion of the 4:3 picture proportionately, while the left and right edges of the screen are stretched to fill the screen
- Normal: Displays the 4:3 picture in its original size with black bars at the left and right sides to fill the screen
- Full: Stretches the entire 4:3 picture horizontally only to fill the screen
- Zoom: Enlarges the entire 4:3 picture proportionately to fill the screen (useful for watching Letterbox movies)
- With 16:9 Sources:
- Wide Zoom: Enlarges the picture to fill the screen with minimal distortion
- Full: Displays the picture at its original size
- Zoom: Enlarges the picture proportionately, both vertically and horizontally
- Auto Wide: The television's screen will automatically change to the screen mode based upon a program's content.
Picture Mode: The TV has three picture modes. You can customize each mode to your own tastes by adjusting Backlight, Picture (contrast), Brightness, Color, Hue, Color Temperature, and Sharpness. You can also reset each picture mode to its factory default values. The picture modes include:
- Vivid: enhances picture contrast and sharpness
- Standard: displays a standard picture for typical viewing environments
- Cinema: for viewing film-based content in a theater-like environment
Advanced Picture Setting: In addition the television offers the following advanced picture functions.
- Noise Reduction: reduces the noise level of connected equipment and the Cable/Antenna input
- Black Corrector: enhances black areas of the picture for stronger contrast
- Gamma: adjusts the balance between the light and dark areas of the picture
- Clear White: emphasizes white and light colors
- Live Color: makes colors more vivid and reproduces clear skin tones
- Light Sensor: measures the room brightness which allows the TV to automatically adjust the backlight brightness based on the picture settings and the ambient room light conditions
Picture Position: The LCD TV allows you to move the position of the picture up and down and allows you to adjust the vertical size of the picture.
Backlight: You can turn off the backlight of the television's LCD panel to conserve power while the audio is left on.
Sound Mode: The Sony LCD TV allows you to select from the following Sound Modes.
- Dynamic: enhances the sound of action movies, sports events, and musical videos
- Standard: standard sound optimized for home use
- Game: enhances the video games sound
- Clear Voice: enhances the voice sound, recommended fro television news and documentary programs
- Custom: allows you to customize Treble and Bass sound settings
Steady Sound: This feature stabilizes the volume across all programs and commercials.
PC-PIP: This PIP (Picture In Picture) feature combines the PC input signal and TV channels (tuner) signal, allowing you to view the two pictures simultaneously. You cannot combine the PC input with another external source, such as DVD, VCR, or Cable/Satellite box.
Favorite Channel: This feature allows you to store and quickly access 8 of your favorite channels.
Channel Label: This function allows you assign labels to channel numbers. You can create up to a 7 character label.
Input Label: Each of the seven video inputs can be labeled with names (VCR, DVD, Satellite, etc.) instead of video 1, video 2, video 3, etc. You can select from the following labels: DVD, VCR, Blu-Ray, Cable Box, Satellite, DVR, Game, Camcorder or Skip (this input is skipped when you press the TV/Video button on the remote control). You can also customize a 7 character label for each input.
Timers: There is one event timer and a sleep timer built in. The event timer is set for the day, time, channel, duration and volume. The sleep timer switches the television off after a specified amount of time. The sleep timer can be set to 15, 30, 60, or 120 minutes.
Parental Lock: You can select a viewing limitation based on the TV and movie ratings. Three presets are available (Child, Youth, and Y. Adult) or the limitation can be customized to specific industry ratings. You can select controls based on USA ratings or Canadian ratings. The control is accessed and protected by a 4-digit password.
Channel Block: This feature allows you to block channels regardless of program ratings.
Remote: The television comes supplied with an IR-wireless remote control designed to operate only the functions of the TV.
Removable Stand: The display comes with a tabletop stand which must be attached to the TV using the supplied hardware. The TV does not swivel on the stand. The TV weighs 36 lbs with the stand attached.
Optional Wall Mount Brackets: The TV can be wall-mounted using an optional universal wall-mount bracket. The TV has 4 threaded screw holes with a horizontal spacing of 200mm and a vertical spacing is 200mm. The screw holes accept 6mm screws. The TV weighs 31 lbs without the stand.
HDMI: The KDL-32M4000 features two HDMI inputs, one with left and right RCA audio jacks. The HDMI (High-Definition Multimedia Interface) terminals provide an uncompressed, all-digital audio/video interface. With an HDMI-to-DVI cable, you can connect the TV to a DVI-equipped A/V component. When connecting to a DVI-equipped component, the RCA audio inputs are used. The HDMI inputs will accept 1080i, 720p, 480p, and 480i signals. You can also connect a PC with an HDMI output.
Component Video Inputs: The two component video inputs will accept 1080i, 720p, 480p, and 480i signals.
PC Input (RGB): A 15-pin HD15 jack allows you to connect your personal computer to the display. There is also a corresponding stereo mini-jack (3.5mm) for the computer's audio signal.
Side Panel AV Inputs: For convenience, there is an A/V input on the left side panel of the TV. Included are stereo RCA inputs and a composite video input.
Headphone Jack: Along with the A/V input on the left side of the TV, there is a 3.5mm stereo headphone jack. When headphones are plugged into the TV, the speakers are muted.
Audio Outputs: These stereo RCA audio jacks allow you to listen to the TV's audio through your stereo system.
Digital Audio Output: This coaxial digital audio output feeds a digital audio signal from a tuned digital channel to a component compatible with Dolby Digital and/or PCM signals.
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.