Why Choose Crutchfield?
Great gear and expert advice
Our experts help you pick the ideal gear for your needs.Meet our advisors
Free tech support for the life of your gear.Read about our one-on-one expert help
You may return items that are complete and like new for any reason within 60 days.See the details of our return policy
Earn one point for every dollar you spend and use those points to save on future purchases.Get full details on Crutchfield Rewards
Deep discounts on car installation gear
We offer vehicle-specific installation instructions, dash kits, wiring harnesses, and speaker accessories at deeply discounted prices with car stereo and speaker purchases. Available for most vehicles.Learn more
Trusted since 1974
Our customers have trusted us with their business, and they’ve helped us win awards for our service.Check out our most recent awards
The manufacturer’s warranty always applies.See more details
34" widescreen FD Trinitron® XBR® HDTV
Item # 15834XBR2 | MFR # KD-34XBR2
This item is no longer available.
Our take on the Sony KD-34XBR2 by Crutchfield's Steve Kindig
If you thought that High Definition TV could only be experienced on a large projection TV, Sony's KD-34XBR2 offers a space-efficient alternative. This is our first integrated direct-view HDTV (the HD tuner is built-in). Just try and take your eyes off a 1080i HDTV broadcast the effortless detail and dimensionality will completely pull you in! Even objects in background scenery that normally look blurry are in sharp focus.
Over-the-air digital TV broadcasts are now reaching about 75% of the nation's television markets. But what makes high-tech TVs like this Sony so appealing is that they can revolutionize your viewing even if you don't watch any HDTV shows! How? Well, Sony's Digital Reality Creation Multifunction upconversion technology gives non-HDTV signals (DVD, VCR, DBS, etc.) a smoother, more solid look by reducing the visibility of horizontal scan lines. The screen's rectangular 16:9 aspect ratio is much better for viewing widescreen DVDs than standard 4:3 squarish screens. And, Sony's Hi-Scan design means this TV is also compatible with progressive-scan DVD players.
The KD-34XBR2 includes the other technologies and features that make Sony's flat-faced Wega TVs so popular: totally flat screen, advanced 3D digital comb filter with 10-bit processing, Twin View PIP, and a great remote. The built-in HDTV/NSTC tuner features a single, simple onscreen program guide that makes it easy to select over-the-air HDTV channels and conventional channels received via antenna or cable. To enjoy Dolby® Digital audio on HDTV broadcasts, simply connect the TV's optical digital output to a compatible home theater receiver with built-in Dolby Digital decoding.
Sony's matching TV stand looks terrific supporting the KD-34XBR2, and raises it to the ideal viewing height.
- built-in HDTV/SDTV tuner
- seamless NTSC/HDTV tuning
- Hi-Scan 1080i Display (compatible with all HDTV/SDTV formats and displays them at 1080i or 480p; also accepts 480p output from a compatible DVD player)
- Digital Reality Creation Multifunction (upconverts NTSC sources to 960i or 480p)
- CineMotion 3-2 pulldown processing
- 16:9 screen aspect ratio
- 10-bit 3D digital comb filter
- Twin View 2-tuner Picture and Picture with Multi-Image Driver X
- Velocity Modulation Scanning (selectable)
- MTS stereo reception
- SteadySound automatic volume control
- 181-channel tuner
- illuminated Flip/joystick multibrand remote
- 6 A/V inputs, including:
- 4 composite video (3 rear, 1 front)
- 4 S-video (3 rear, 1 front)
- 2 rear-panel wide-bandwidth component video
(compatible with 1080i/720p/480p/480i signals)
- 2 RF inputs for antenna/cable
- 2 i.LINK ports with copy protection (DTCP)
- optical digital output for Dolby Digital
- 15 watts x 2
- 39-1/4"W x 24-1/2"H x 23-3/8"D
- warranty: 1 year parts and labor, 2 years parts on the picture tube
FREE In-home delivery! Because of its large size, the KD-34XBR2 will be delivered and placed in any accessible room in your home. Delivery is available to physical addresses in the lower 48 states. (Sorry, no P.O. Boxes or freight forwarders.) Transit time is 5-7 business days once your order has been processed. Extra charges may apply for delivery after business hours or on a weekend, or if the TV must be carried up more than 5 flights of stairs.
Note: Free return shipping not available with this model.
What's in the Box:
- 34" Widescreen HDTV
- RM-Y185 Wireless remote control
- 2 "AA" batteries
- Operating Instructions
- Warranty card
- HDTV Registration Card
- DHG-M55CV set-top box note
Features and Specs
|Picture in Picture||2 Tuner|
|Audio Output Power||15 watts x 2|
|Parts Warranty||1 YR/CRT 2|
|Labor Warranty||1 YEAR|
|Type of Warranty Service||---|
|Footprint Width (inches)||---|
|Footprint Depth (inches)||---|
|Inputs & Outputs|
|Side Panel Composite Inputs||---|
|Side Panel Component Video Inputs||---|
|Rear Composite Video Inputs||3|
|Rear Component Video Inputs||2|
|Total Video Inputs||6|
HDTV/SDTV Tuner: The built-in HDTV/SDTV tuner allows you to receive over-the-air HDTV broadcasts.
Seamless NTSC/HDTV Tuning: The built-in tuner tunes both HDTV and conventional TV channels with a single, straightforward interface.
Widescreen: This 34" television has a cinema-like 16:9 aspect ratio.
Hi-Scan 1080i Display: Two component video inputs allow you to connect an HDTV source with component video outputs. This television is capable of receiving 1080i, 720p, 480p, and 480i digital TV formats.
CineMotion Reverse 3/2 Pull-Down Technology: This function provides an optimized display by automatically detecting film content and applying a reverse 3/2 pull-down process. Moving pictures will appear clearer and more natural-looking.
Digital Reality Creation Multifunction: Digital Reality Creation Multifunction allows you to enjoy a very high-resolution picture from any standard NTSC image by using digital processing to turn all NTSC images to 960i resolution, which is approximately 4 times the resolution of a standard NTSC image. This helps to give you a finer, more detailed picture and decrease the visibility of scanning lines by doubling the number of scanning lines and pixels per line. You can select Interlaced mode, which is recommended for moving pictures, Progressive mode, which is recommended for still images and text, or CineMotion mode, which is recommended for 24 frame-per-second films.
10-Bit 3D Digital Comb Filter: Sony's new comb filter analyzes picture information horizontally, vertically and over time. You will get high resolution under most picture conditions. New 10-bit signal processing renders superb gray-scale gradation, resulting in superior picture detail.
Wide Band Velocity Modulation Scanning System: This system varies the electron beam speed to trace fine detail with extra precision for optimum High Definition pictures.
Twin View: Using the Multi-Image Driver, Twin View allows you to watch two programs side-by-side with the ability to zoom in on one picture and listen to the program in the selected window. You can watch pictures from two different sources (1080i, 720p, 480p, or 480i) simultaneously.
Scrolling Channel Index System: The system splits the screen into one main picture and four smaller pictures that automatically scroll through all the available channels.
Favorite Channel Preview: This feature allows you to preview up to 16 favorite channels without leaving the current channel.
i.LINK Digital Interface: Two i.LINK ports enable you to connect compatible digital equipment to this television. Each port handles both digital audio and digital video.
Steady Sound: This feature stabilizes the volume level, preventing unwanted blasts of sound during commercials.
Optical Digital Output: An optical digital output lets you send a Dolby Digital bitstream to a compatible home theater receiver for up to 5.1 channels of crisp, clear sound.Sound Effects: To enhance the sound, you can select TruSurround, which adds a three-dimensional sound to stereo programs, or Simulated, which adds a surround-like effect to mono-channel programs. The sound effects can be turned off.
Video Mode: You can select Vivid, Standard, Movie, Pro, or Game. The Vivid setting enhances picture contrast and sharpness. The Standard setting displays a standard picture for normal viewing environments. The Movie setting displays a finely detailed picture for low light environments. The Pro setting displays a picture with minimum enhancements. The Game setting reduces the visibility of artifacts, which often appear in graphics and animation.
Screen Mode: You can choose from the following screen modes:
- Wide Mode: you can select Wide Zoom, Normal, Full, or Zoom. The Wide Zoom setting enlarges the 4:3 size picture, while the upper and lower parts of the picture are condensed to fit the wide screen. The Full setting enlarges the 4:3 picture horizontally so it fills the wide screen. The Zoom setting enlarges the 4:3 picture horizontally and vertically to an equal aspect ration that fills the wide screen. The Normal setting returns the picture to normal mode.
- Vertical Center: allows you to move the position of the picture up and down in the window. This feature is only available in Wide Zoom and Zoom modes.
- Vertical Size: allows you to adjust the vertical size of the picture. This feature is only available in Wide Zoom and Zoom modes.
Freeze Function: This function allows you to temporarily capture a program's picture. The TV switches to Twin View mode and displays the "frozen" picture on the right, while the current program continues on the left. This function only works in normal view mode; if you are in Twin View mode already, it will not work.
Parental Control: V-Chip technology allows you to block unsuitable programming for younger viewers. Blocked programs are protected by a 4-digit password.
Sleep Timer: The sleep timer switches the television off after a specified amount of time. The sleep timer can be set to 15, 30, 45, 60, or 90 minutes.
Timers: This unit has two timers that can be set by day, time, duration, and channel.
RM-Y185 Remote: The supplied remote is pre-programmed to operate this unit and a number of functions on other brands of A/V components, including VCRs, DVD players, Laserdisc players, cable boxes, and satellite receivers. Several controls are located under a lid that covers the top half of the remote. A joystick allows you to move the on-screen selector, making menu navigation simple and efficient. The enter, volume, channel, and numeric keypad buttons glow in the dark (blue).
Front Panel (under lid):
- Video 2 Input: stereo RCA jacks, RCA composite video jack and S-video jack
- Video 1 Input: stereo RCA jacks, RCA composite video jack and S-video jack
- Video 3 Input: stereo RCA jacks, RCA composite video jack and S-video jack
- Video 4 Input: stereo RCA jacks, RCA composite video jack and S-video jack
- Video 5 Input: stereo RCA jacks and component video jacks (Y/PB/PR); component video jacks accept 1080i, 720p, 480p, and 480i input signals
- Video 6 Input: stereo RCA jacks and component video jacks (Y/PB/PR); component video jacks accept 1080i, 720p, 480p, and 480i input signals
- Select Out: stereo RCA jacks and RCA composite video jack
- Audio Output: stereo RCA jacks that can be set to fixed or variable
- Cable Coax Input: female RF coax input
- VHF/UHF Coax Input: female RF coax input
- Optical Digital Output: standard Toslink digital output
- i.LINK (S200): two 4-pin i.LINK ports
- Control S: mono mini-jack input and output
Warranty Note: The picture tube has a 2 year parts warranty.
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.