Why Choose Crutchfield?
Great gear and expert advice
Our experts help you pick the ideal gear for your needs.Meet our advisors
Free tech support for the life of your gear.Read about our one-on-one expert help
You may return items that are complete and like new for any reason within 60 days.See the details of our return policy
Earn one point for every dollar you spend and use those points to save on future purchases.Get full details on Crutchfield Rewards
Deep discounts on car installation gear
We offer vehicle-specific installation instructions, dash kits, wiring harnesses, and speaker accessories at deeply discounted prices with car stereo and speaker purchases. Available for most vehicles.Learn more
Trusted since 1974
Our customers have trusted us with their business, and they’ve helped us win awards for our service.Check out our most recent awards
The manufacturer’s warranty always applies.See more details
40" BRAVIA® S-Series 1080p LCD HDTV
Item # 15840S4100 | MFR # KDL40S4100
This item is no longer available.
Our take on the Sony KDL-40S4100 by Crutchfield's Steve Kindig
The 40-inch KDL-40S4100 is one of Sony's lowest-priced HDTVs with full 1080p screen resolution. Compared to 720p screens, 1080p delivers around twice the pixel count, for more detailed images. Whether you receive your high-def content from over-the-air broadcasts, cable, or satellite TV, most HD programs employ the 1080i format. To see all of the detail in those programs, you need a 1080p screen.
Built-in HD reception
This TV has built-in tuners for your local digital and analog broadcasts, so you'll get great over-the-air reception both before and after the digital switchover in 2009 (antenna required). Plus, a "QAM" cable TV tuner lets cable subscribers watch unscrambled channels without a set-top box including HD channels in many areas.
Versatile inputs keep you ready for the latest HD sources
The KDL-40S4100's "jack pack" includes three HDMI connections that will ensure maximum picture quality as high-def formats evolve. Sony calls them 24p True Cinema capable, which means they can accept the 1080p/24 output from a Blu-ray player. Most movies are originally shot at 24p (24 frames per second), so this feature lets you see video in its most flawless form. One HDMI input is located on the side of the TV so it's easier to hook up an HD camcorder or video game console.
Tip: For a list of over-the-air digital TV stations you can receive, as well as antenna recommendations for your location, enter your zip code in AntennaWeb's mapping tool.
FREE scheduled delivery to your door: This item will be delivered to the door of your house or apartment. Available to physical addresses in 50 United States only. Limited delivery available to Alaska and Hawaii for $99 per item call 1-888-955-6000 for more details. Sorry, we can't ship to P.O. Boxes or freight forwarders. Delivery takes 5-7 business days once your order has been processed. Extra charges may apply to items that must be carried up more than 5 flights of stairs. Allow extra time for delivery to remote addresses.
The TV came within a week of ordering it, and its beautiful! We use it for PS3, Blue Ray movies, and Xbox360 and love how all of them look on it. We highly recommend this TV.
Jenna, Chicago, IL
What's in the Box:
- 40" Widescreen LCD TV
- Pedestal stand
- Wireless remote control (RM-YD025)
- 2 "AA" batteries
- 6.5 AC cord
- 4 Machine screws with a flat washer and lock washer installed on each screw
- Cable tie
- Operating Instructions
- Quick Setup Guide
- "Assembling the Table-Top Stand" instructions
- Attaching table-top stand diagram
- "Installing the Wall-Mount Bracket" sheet
- Warranty sheet
- "Notices and Licenses For Software Used In This Television" sheet
- Online product registration sheet
- "Digital Broadcast Reception" notice
- 40" screen (measured diagonally)
- widescreen 16:9 aspect ratio
- high-gloss black finish
- built-in digital (ATSC) and analog (NTSC) tuners for over-the-air TV broadcasts (antenna required)
- built-in QAM cable TV tuner receives unscrambled programs without a set-top box (cable service required)
- 1920 x 1080 pixels
- 8-millisecond pixel response time
- 2500:1 contrast ratio
- PC picture-in-picture (main PC image with TV inset)
- built-in stereo speakers (10 watts x 2)
- remote control
- picture settings memory for each video input
- 7 A/V inputs, including:
- 2 composite video (1 rear, 1 side)
- 1 S-video
- 2 component video (accepts signals up to 1080p)
- 3 HDMI (2 rear, 1 side) accepts signals up to 1080p (60Hz, 24Hz)
- PC input: analog RGB (D-Sub 15-pin)
- RF input for antenna/cable signals
- optical digital audio output for Dolby® Digital
- Energy Star® 3.0 compliant see our article on TV power consumption for more info about this and other testing standards
- detachable stand (stand "footprint" is 16-1/8"W x 10-7/8"D)
- wall-mountable (bracket not included)
- 39-1/4"W x 25-5/8"H x 4-3/4"D (27-1/8"H x 10-7/8"D on stand)
- weight: 50.1 lbs. with stand; 43.9 lbs. without stand
- warranty: 1 year parts & labor in-home service or pick-up for service
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
Sony KDL-40S4100 Reviews
Average Customer Review(s):
Thanks for submitting your review
Features and Specs
NTSC/ATSC/QAM Tuners: The TV is equipped with an analog NTSC tuner, a digital ATSC/8VSB tuner, and a digital QAM tuner for receiving unscrambled digital cable channels. It is not CableCARD compatible. You do not need to connect an external HDTV set-top box in order to receive High-Definition programming.
Native Resolution: The KDL-40S4100 has a full HD native resolution of 1920 x 1080 with over 2 million pixels (more than twice the pixels of 720p HDTV). The TV's three HDMI inputs can accept 480i, 480p, 720p, 1080i, 1080p and 1080/24p signals, and the two component video inputs can accept 480i, 480p, 720p, 1080i and 1080p signals. All video signals from standard definition and high definition are upconverted to 1080p.
BRAVIA Engine Full Digital Video Processor: This television uses Sony's BRAVIA Engine full digital video processor for crisp and clear images. Several special picture enhancement technologies are integrated into the processor to create better gradations and details, enhance contrast, dynamically improve color, and reduce image flicker.
24pTrue Cinema (24p Input Capability): Many movies are filmed at 24 frames per second (fps) and prime time TV programs are video taped at 24p. Seizing on an opportunity, some studios are taking a purist approach and encoding high definition video content such as Blu-ray Disc in 24p. Sony wisely takes advantage of this by including 24p input capability via HDMI on this television producing images that are smooth and natural looking.
Picture Mode: You can select one of the following picture modes:
- Vivid: enhances picture contrast and sharpness
- Standard: displays a standard picture for typical viewing environments
- Cinema: used to view film-base content; suitable for viewing in a theater-like environment
- Custom: allows you to store your preferred settings for Backlight, Picture, Brightness, Color, Hue, Color Temperature, Sharpness, and Noise Reduction
Screen Modes: You can choose from the following Screen Modes:
- 4:3 Default:
- Wide Zoom: Enlarges the center portion of the 4:3 picture proportionately, while the left and right edges of the screen are stretched to fill the screen
- Normal: Displays the 4:3 picture in its original size with black bars at the left and right sides to fill the screen
- Full: Stretches the entire 4:3 picture horizontally only to fill the screen
- Zoom: Enlarges the entire 4:3 picture proportionately to fill the screen (useful for watching Letterbox movies)
- 16:9 Wide Mode:
- Wide Zoom: Enlarges the picture to fill the screen with minimal distortion
- Normal: Displays a 4:3 picture in its original aspect ratio when the original source is 4:3
- Full: Displays the picture at its original size
- Zoom: Enlarges the picture proportionately, both vertically and horizontally
- Auto Wide: Automatically changes screen settings base upon incoming video signal and content.
Screen Settings: The Sony LCD TV offers the following screen adjustments.
- Vertical Center: allows you to adjust the vertical size of the picture when in Wide Zoom mode
- Vertical Size: adjust the vertical size of a standard-definition picture
- Display Area:
- Full Pixel: displays the picture for 1080, 1080p or 1080/24p sources in its original size
- Normal: displays the picture in its original size
- -1/-2: enlarges the picture to hide the edges of the picture
CineMotion 3/2 Pulldown Processing: This function optimizes the display by automatically detecting film content and applying a reverse 3-2 pulldown process. Moving pictures will appear clearer and more natural-looking.
PC Compatible: The television can be used as a monitor for your PC through the TV's RGB HD-15 input or HDMI input. The TV supports the following PC resolutions - VGA, SVGA, XGA, WXGA, SXGA and HDTV. You can adjust Phase, Pitch, Horizontal and Vertical Position and Wide Mode of picture.
PC PIP Feature: While in PC input mode, PIP can be selected from the TV's Tools Menu. The PIP feature allows you to see both the PC input's image as well as your TV channels (RF Antenna/Cable input) simultaneously. The television's main window will display the PC input image, while the television's sub-window will display your television station's video content via the RF Antenna/Cable input.
Favorite Channel: This feature allows you to store and quickly access your favorite analog and digital channels.
Jump Function: This feature allows you to jump back and forth between two channels. The TV alternates between the current channel and the last channel that was selected.
Label Channels: This feature allows you to assign labels such as station call letter to the channel numbers. You can use up to seven characters.
Input Label: Each of the television's inputs (except PC) can be labeled with names (DVD, Cable Box, Satellite, Blu-ray, VCR, DVR, Game, Camcorder, PC or Skip) instead of video 1, video 2, video 3, etc. The Skip label is useful for inputs to which no equipment is connected. If you select Skip, the TV skips this input when you press the Input button of the remote.
Caption Vision/Info Banner: This feature allows Closed Caption and/or channel programming information to be displayed on the TV screen. You can choose from CC1, CC2, CC3, CC4, Text1, Text2, Text3 and Text4. Digital Channel's Closed Captions can be customized. You can select Text-type, Character-size, Character-style, Character-color, Character-opacity, Edge-type, Edge-color, Background-color and Background-opacity.
Sound Settings: The Sound Settings menu allow you to make the following adjustments:
- Sound Mode: You can customize the bass and
treble or use one of the three preset sound modes:
- Dynamic: enhances both treble and bass
- Standard: suitable for spoken dialogue
- Clear Voice: suitable for spoken dialogue
- Treble, Bass, Balance: You can individually set the treble, bass, and balance settings as desired.
Parental Control: You can select a viewing limitation based on the TV and movie ratings. Three presets are available (Child, Youth, and Y. Adult) or the limitation can be customized to specific industry ratings. The control is accessed and protected by a 4-digit password.
Channel/External Input Block: This feature allows you to block channels or external inputs regardless of program ratings.
Sleep Timer: The sleep timer switches the television off after a specified amount of time. The sleep timer can be set to 15, 30, 45, 60, 90, or 120 minutes.
Power Saving: This feature reduces the power consumption by adjusting the backlight brightness of the TV's screen. This also enhances the black level of the television. You can select from Low, High, Off and Picture Off.
PC Power Management: This feature automatically places the television in Standby mode when there is not signal input for more than 30 seconds.
Wireless Remote Control: The TV comes supplied with an IR wireless remote control (RM-YD025). The remote is designed for TV operation only.
Tabletop Stand: The display comes supplied with a tabletop pedestal stand which must be attached using the supplied hardware. The television weighs 50.0625 lbs with the stand attached.
Optional Wall Mount Brackets: The stand can be removed, allowing you to wall-mount the TV using an optional wall-mount bracket. The TV has 4 threaded screw holes with a horizontal spacing of 11-3/4" (300mm) and a vertical spacing of 11-3.4" (300mm). The screw holes all accept M6 (6mm) screws. The TV weighs 43.875 lbs without the stand.
HDMI: The KDL-40S4100 features 3 HDMI inputs (2 Rear/1 Side). The HDMI (High-Definition Multimedia Interface) terminals provide an uncompressed, all-digital audio/video interface. The HDMI 1 input also has left and right RCA audio jacks. With an HDMI-to-DVI cable, you can connect the TV to a DVI-equipped A/V component. When connecting to a DVI-equipped component, the RCA audio inputs are used and separate RCA audio cable must be connected.
Note: The HDMI input will accept 1080/24p, 1080p, 1080i, 720p, 480p, and 480i signals.
Component Video Inputs: The two component video inputs will accept 1080p, 1080i, 720p, 480p, and 480i signals.
PC Input (RGB): A 15-pin HD15 jack allows you to connect your personal computer to the display. There is also a corresponding stereo mini-jack (3.5mm) for the computer's audio signal.
Side Panel AV Inputs: For convenience, there is an A/V input on the left side panel of the TV. Included are stereo RCA inputs and a composite video input, as well as an HDMI input.
Analog Audio Outputs: These stereo RCA audio jacks allow you to listen to the TV's audio through your stereo system. In the menu you can set the output to Fixed (volume controlled by the receiver/amplifier) or Variable (volume controlled by the TV's remote control) operation.
Note: You must turn the TV speakers off in the menu in order for the audio outs to function.
Digital Audio Output: Optical digital output that connect to the optical digital input of your digital audio equipment that is PCM/Dolby Digital compatible. Dolby Digital Audio signal from the HDMI input will be output as PCM.
USB (Service) Port: For service use only.
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.