Why Choose Crutchfield?
Great gear and expert advice
Our experts help you pick the ideal gear for your needs.Meet our advisors
Free tech support for the life of your gear.Read about our one-on-one expert help
You may return items that are complete and like new for any reason within 60 days.See the details of our return policy
Earn one point for every dollar you spend and use those points to save on future purchases.Get full details on Crutchfield Rewards
Deep discounts on car installation gear
We offer vehicle-specific installation instructions, dash kits, wiring harnesses, and speaker accessories at deeply discounted prices with car stereo and speaker purchases. Available for most vehicles.Learn more
Trusted since 1974
Our customers have trusted us with their business, and they’ve helped us win awards for our service.Check out our most recent awards
The manufacturer’s warranty always applies.See more details
46" Internet-ready 1080p 3D LED-LCD HDTV
Item # 15846EX720 | MFR # KDL46EX720
This item is no longer available.
Our take on the Sony KDL-46EX720by Crutchfield's Tara W.
One look at the KDL-46EX720's elegant design and gorgeous picture and you know that Sony's still got it. This is a 3D TV whenever you're ready for 3D, just pick up a pair or two of Sony's active 3D glasses. In the meantime, you'll enjoy remarkably crisp, clear images with everything else you watch thanks to LED backlighting and Motionflow blur reduction.
Enjoy a big screen without a big utility bill
LED backlights are much more efficient than conventional fluorescent backlights, and the KDL-46EX720 has some other clever energy-saving features up its sleeve. Sony's "Presence Sensor" detects if you've stepped away from your TV and automatically turns the picture off. And a built-in room light sensor enables the TV to adjust the screen brightness based on your room's lighting conditions.
Connect to all the latest high-def sources and to the Web
Four HDMI inputs let you enjoy the best possible picture from high-def sources like Blu-ray players, satellite TV receivers, and HD game consoles. Connect this Sony to your broadband Internet service and you can use the TV's remote to watch Netflix® movies and surf 25+ other web "channels" without even touching your computer. If it's not convenient to run a cable from the TV to your home network, be sure to get Sony's Wi-Fi® USB adapter.
Tip: For a list of over-the-air digital TV stations you can receive, as well as antenna recommendations for your location, enter your zip code in AntennaWeb's mapping tool.
- 46" screen (measured diagonally)
- black finish
- tuner receives over-the-air HDTV broadcasts (antenna required)
- QAM cable TV tuner receives unscrambled programs without a set-top box (cable service required)
- displays 3D images when you wear Sony's active glasses (sold separately)
- 2D-to-3D conversion adds a 3D-like effect to non-3D video sources
- Motionflow XR 240 blur reduction (120Hz refresh rate plus backlight scanning)
- LED edge backlight for high picture contrast and lower energy use
- X-Reality Engine video processing improves the look of non-HD sources
- Internet-ready Smart TV — has built-in apps for accessing the Sony Entertainment Network (on-demand movies and music), Netflix®, and more (broadband service required; subscription/fees required for some online services)
- built-in web browser
- you can find the latest info about this TV's Internet apps at Sony's website
- video and music streaming from a DLNA-compatible Windows® PC (wireless streaming requires Sony's optional USB Wi-Fi® dongle)
- 1-tuner picture-in-picture
- built-in stereo speakers (10 watts x 2)
- remote control
- BRAVIA Sync simplifies control of compatible Sony components via the HDMI connection (HDMI-CEC)
- meets ENERGY STAR® requirements
- picture settings memory for each video input
Connections and Dimensions:
- 6 A/V inputs, including:
- 1 composite video
- 1 component video (selectable component/composite)
- 4 HDMI v1.4
- PC input
- RF input for antenna/cable signals
- optical digital audio output
- stereo minijack headphone output can also be connected to a sound bar or other audio system
- Ethernet port for a high-speed connection to a home network
- 2 USB ports for connecting a camera or thumb drive, or Sony's USB Wi-Fi adapter
- detachable swivel stand (stand "footprint" is 18-1/8"W x 10-1/4"D)
- wall-mountable (bracket not included)
- 42-1/2"W x 25-3/4"H x 1-3/4"D (27-1/4"H x 10-1/4"D on stand)
- weight: 39.5 lbs. with stand; 31.5 lbs. without stand
- warranty: 1 year parts & labor in-home service or pick-up for service
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
What's in the Box:
- 46" Widescreen LED-LCD TV
- Pedestal base
- Guide stand
- Metal neck
- Wireless remote control (RM-YD061)
- 2 "AAA" batteries
- Three 5mm x 16mm machine screws (with a flat-washer/lock-washer installed)
- Four 6mm x 14mm hex-screws
- Setup Guide (Operating Instructions)
- Table-top stand assembly diagram (taped to TV)
- Limited Warranty Information
- "Attention" note (Eng/Fre/Spa)
- Safety and Regulatory Booklet (Eng/Fre/Spa)
- End User License Agreement
- "Tips on Presence Sensor setting" note (taped to TV)
- "Remote Control" note (attached to remote)
- DirecTV brochure
Features and Specs
Edge LED Backlight: The Sony Bravia KDL-46EX720 TV utilizes edge LED backlighting for dynamic contrast, smooth motion performance, and energy savings inside a slim designed cabinet. This technology sharpens image contrast giving an amazingly crisp picture you can see. The ultra-thin backlight system also allows for a slimmer, sleeker design.
X-Reality Engine: Sony's X-Reality engine lets you enjoy a vivid, lifelike picture experience by analyzing each scene so you see sharpened images, amazing contrast, and fine detail. Blu-ray Disc movies, cable TV, satellite TV, and even Web videos each place unique demands on the processing circuits of a TV. The X-Reality Engine helps get the best results from different video sources. The X-Reality Engine analyzes the scene and selectively applies a variety of noise reduction and image processes prior to upscaling in order to get the best results from different sources.
- Intelligent Image Enhancer: Experience exceptional color contrast and picture accuracy in every frame with the television's Intelligent Image Enhancer. The Intelligent Image Enhancer enhances the details and outlines of the picture while suppressing artifacts. The X-Reality Engine uses the Intelligent Image Enhancer to divide the signal according to four characteristics (Texture, Outline, Contrast, and Color). The circuit divides the picture into these four parts, analyzes the quality of each scene and applies only the processing required for each part. The result is a picture that's carefully optimized for natural image reproduction.
- Intelligent MPEG Noise Reduction: Dramatically reduces two common problems in compressed video signals - block noise and mosquito noise. The Intelligent "MPEG Noise Reduction" automatically reduces picture noise, such as mosquito noise and/or block noise, in compressed videos. It improves picture quality in Digital broadcast and DVD/BD/HDD players.
- Adaptive Noise Reduction: The TV's Adaptive Noise Reduction automatically reduces picture noise.
- Adaptive Dot Noise Reduction: Adaptive Dot Noise Reduction automatically reduces dot noise around objects on the screen.
Note: The X-Reality Engine performs Interlace-to-Progressive (IP) conversion and upscaling as required. Film-based 24 frames-per-second content undergoes special IP conversion to reduce the "stair-step jaggies" that can form at high-contrast edges.
NTSC/ATSC/QAM Tuners: The TV is equipped with an analog NTSC tuner, a digital ATSC/8VSB tuner, and a digital QAM tuner for receiving unscrambled digital cable channels. It is not CableCARD compatible. You do not need to connect an external HDTV set-top box in order to receive High-Definition programming.
1080p Resolution: The KDL-46EX720 has a full HD native resolution of 1920 x 1080 with over 2 million pixels (more than twice the pixels of 720p HDTV). The TV's four HDMI inputs can accept 480i, 480p, 720p, 1080i, 1080p and 1080p (60/24Hz) signals, and the component video input can accept 480i, 480p, 720p, 1080i and 1080p (60Hz) signals. All video signals from standard definition and high definition are upconverted to 1080p.
HD Video Inputs: The Sony Bravia KDL-46EX720 provides High Definition HDMI and component video inputs.
- 4 HDMI (ver.1.4) Inputs: The KDL-46EX720 features four HDMI 1.4 inputs. The HDMI (High-Definition Multimedia Interface) terminals provide an uncompressed, all-digital audio/video interface between this TV and any HDMI-equipped A/V equipment.. The HDMI input will accept 1080p (60/24Hz), 1080i, 720p, 480p, and 480i signals. The HDMI 4 input shares a 3.5mm audio jack with the television's PC input. With an HDMI-to-DVI cable, you can connect the TV to a DVI-equipped A/V component. When connecting to a DVI-equipped component, the 3.5mm audio input is used and separate minijack audio cable must be connected.
- Component Video Input: The component video input will accept 1080p (60Hz), 1080i, 720p, 480p, and 480i signals. If needed, Component Video input can be used as a composite video input instead.
Note: The TV is also equipped with a composite video (480i only) input.
3D Ready: The Sony KDL-46EX720 gives you the option to enjoy 3D (three-dimensional) pictures and graphics. You can enjoy an immersive, realistic movie and gaming experience in Full HD 1080p using Sony's proprietary 3D Active Glasses, (sold separately) and connecting a compatible 3D-ready Blu-ray Disc Player, Satellite Receiver, or PlayStation3 gaming console (all sold separately) to the HDTV via HDMI. When viewed through the active shutter glasses, the on-screen image is precisely synchronized and delivered with the Full HD 1080p image intact, for an optimum 3D viewing experience. Sony's 3D technology displays high speed synchronized left- and right-eye images to deliver an immersive 3D experience. And since each frame you see is shown at Full HD resolution, the 3D action still offers razor-sharp detail. You can adjust the following 3D settings.
- Display Mode: For switching between 3D and 2D display modes.
- 3D Format: Select between 3 types of 3D formats based
on your video content.
- Simulated: for viewing regular 2D pictures in simulated 3D
- Side-by-Side: selecting this displays two near-identical pictures side-by-side for 3D viewing (wear the 3D Glasses before setting "3D Format" as the instructions will otherwise be unreadable because of doubly-blurred letters on the screen)
- Over-Under: selecting this displays two near-identical pictures one above the other for 3D viewing (wear the 3D Glasses before setting "3D Format" as the instructions will otherwise be unreadable because of doubly-blurred letters on the screen)
- 3D Depth Adjustment: For adjusting the depth of the 3D image on the screen.
- Simulated 3D Effect: Use to heighten or lessen the 3D effect when you display 2D pictures in simulated 3D.
- 3D Glass Brightness: For setting the image brightness when using 3D display mode. By selecting "Auto", image brightness through the 3D glasses is automatically adjusted in conjunction with the "Scene Select" setting.
Note: The 3D display mode is automatically selected when a 3D signal is detected. The recommended viewing angle and distance for 3D viewing is 120° (left/right) at 3'-20'.
MotionFlow XR 240: Sony's MotionFlow XR 240 technology combines 120 frames-per-second with an advanced backlight blinking system to simulate a 240 Hz effect. MotionFlow XR 240 provides smooth and precise detail during fast-action scenes for fast action movies and sports by reducing blur caused by quick camera movements, enhancing image sharpness, and overall creating a clearer picture. You can select between 4 settings - Smooth, Standard, Clear, or Clear Plus.
- Standard: Provides smooth picture movement for standard use.
- Smooth: Provides smoother picture movement for film-based content.
- Clear: Reduces motion blur for high-speed picture content.
- Clear Plus: Reduces motion blur while maintaining brightness for high-speed picture content.
CineMotion: This function provides improved picture movement and reduces picture blur and graininess for film-based content. There are two settings.
- Auto 1: Provides smoother picture movement that the original film-based content.
- Auto 2: Displays film-based content with picture expression close to the original by applying a film-specific process.
24pTrue Cinema (24p Input Capability):Many movies are filmed at 24 frames per second (fps) and prime time TV programs are video taped at 24p. Seizing on an opportunity, some studios are taking a purist approach and encoding high definition video content such as Blu-ray Disc in 24p. Sony wisely takes advantage of this by including 24p input capability via HDMI on this television producing images that are smooth and natural looking.
Infinite Dynamic Contrast Ratio: Dynamic contrast ratio compares the luminance of a 100 IRE (white) signal with that of a 0 IRE (black) signal. When the TV receives a 0 IRE signal the backlight is turned off and the luminance measurement is 0.00 cd/m2. The resulting dynamic contrast ratio is infinite.
LightSensor Technology: The TV's built-in Light Sensor automatically adjusts the picture brightness based on the amount of light in the room. As a result, you can enjoy automatic customized picture brightness and save energy without lifting a finger.
Advanced Contrast Enhancer (ACE): The televisions Advance Contrast Enhancer (ACE) automatically adjusts backlight and contrast to the most suitable setting judging from the brightness of the screen. This setting is especially effective for dark scenes, and will increase the contrast distinction for the darker picture scenes. The ACE can be set to High, Medium, Low, or Off.
Screen Modes: You can choose from the following Screen Modes:
- 4:3 Source:
- Wide Zoom: enlarges the picture to fill a 16:9 screen, preserving the original picture as much as possible
- Normal: displays a 4:3 picture in its original size; side bars are shown to fill the 16:9 screen
- Full: stretches the 4:3 picture horizontally, to fill the 16:9 screen
- Zoom: displays the cinemascopic (letter box format) picture in the correct proportion
- Captions: stretches the picture horizontally to fill a 16:9 screen, while fitting captions in the screen
- 16:9 Source:
- Wide Zoom: enlarges the picture to fill a 16:9 screen, preserving the original picture as much as possible
- Normal: displays a 6:9 picture in its original size; side bars shown for 4:3 image
- Full: displays a 16:9 picture in its original size
- Zoom: displays the cinemascopic (letter box format) picture in the correct proportion
- Captions: stretches the picture horizontally to fill a 16:9 screen, while fitting captions in the screen
- Auto Wide: Automatically changes screen settings base upon incoming video signal and content.
Picture Modes: You can select one of the following picture modes:
- Standard: Displays a standard picture for typical viewing environments.
- Cinema: For film-based content.
- 1: suitable for a theater-like environment.
- 2: suitable for basic home use
- Vivid: Enhances picture contrast and sharpness.
- Sports: Optimizes picture quality for viewing sports.
- Animation: Optimizes picture quality for viewing animations.
- Game: For gaming content.
- Standard: provides standard picture suitable for games
- Original: adjust the game picture according to your preference
- Graphics: Optimizes picture quality for viewing graphics.
- Photo: For still-image
- Standard: optimizes picture quality for viewing photographs
- Original: enhances the visual warmth of photographs
- Vivid: enhances contrast, sharpness, and
color of photographs
Custom: adjustment of detailed settings for viewing photographs and storing your preferred settings
- Custom: Allows you to store your
- Backlight: adjust brightness of backlight
- Picture: adjusts picture contrasts
- Brightness: adjust brightness of picture
- Color: adjusts color intensity
- Hue: adjusts green and red tones
- Color Temperature: adjust the whiteness of the picture
- Sharpness: adjust sharpness of picture
Note: The TV's picture adjustments can be made for a particular A/V input or for all inputs.
Advanced Video Settings: In addition to the Picture mode, the Advanced Video Settings menu also features the following:
- Auto Light Limiter: Reduces glare such as in scenes where the entire screen is white.
- Black Corrector: Enhances black areas of the picture for stronger contrast. The Black Corrector can be set to High, Medium, Low, or Off.
- Detail Enhancer: Enhances the details of the picture.
- Edge Enhancer: Enhances the edges of the picture.
- Skin Naturalizer: Makes the texture of the skin smoother (available for USB and Media server content). It can be set to High, Medium, Low, or Off.
- Gamma: Adjusts the balance between bright and dark areas of the picture.
- Clear White: Emphasizes white and light colors. It can be set to High, Low, or Off.
- Live Color: Makes colors more vivid and reproduces clear skin tones. It can be set to High, Medium, Low, or Off.
- White Balance:Adjusts the color temperature color by color.
Pro Picture Setup: The Pro Picture Setup menu allows for Color Matrix and HDMI adjustments.
- Color Matrix: Reproduces the color-difference signals. It is recommended to leave this at the factory default setting.
- HDMI Dynamic Range: Produces natural color by changing the luminance tone reproduction of HDMI input color signals.
Picture Adjustment Lock: This function prevents the television's Picture Settings from being changed.
Twin Picture (PIP): This feature lets you watch two pictures simultaneously. You can have view an image from a TV program and external input (excluding PC) at the same time. One picture will be displayed as the main image, while to other is displayed in an inset window or side-by-side. You can flip-flop images and switch audio between the two images.
ARC (Audio Return Channel): The Audio Return Channel in HDMI 1.4 enables a TV, via a single HDMI cable, to send audio data "upstream" to an A/V receiver; increasing user flexibility and eliminating the need for any separate S/PDIF audio connection. This feature allows audio to be sent from the television to your A/V receiver through the same HDMI cable already being used to send audio/video to the television. This eliminates the need for extra cables connected to the TV. ARC allows audio from the TV tuner, Network connection, inserted USB device, HDMI inputs, or any analog connected device to be heard through your ARC compatible AV receiver via the television's HDMI ARC input. The audio from the TV's tuner, network connection, and HDMI inputs can pass as Dolby Digital or 2ch PCM. USB and analog connected devices will be output as 2ch PCM only.
Note: Both the television and the receiver must support ARC for this function to work properly. When connecting an A/V receiver that is compatible with Audio Return Channel (ARC), connect it to the TV's HDMI IN 1 port. If connecting a system that is incompatible Audio Return Channel (ARC), an additional audio connection via Digital Audio Out (Optical) is necessary.
Sound Position: The speakers of this TV provide different sound images according to how you position the television. You can select between "Table-Top Stand" or "Wall Mount/Floor Stand" to provide the best sound quality based on the television's placement.
Sound Mode: You can customize the bass and treble or use one of the three preset sound modes:
- Dynamic: Enhances both treble and bass to make sound clear.
- Standard: Provides natural sound.
- Clear Voice: Make voice clearer by lowering background sound.
- Custom: Allows you to customize sound settings (Bass, Treble and Balance).
Note: The TV's sound adjustments can be made for a particular A/V input or for all inputs.
Equalizer: The TV is equipped with a 7-band EQ (100Hz, 200Hz, 500Hz, 1kHz, 2kHz, 5kHz, 10kHz). You can adjust the level of each band between -12 to +12 dB.
S-FORCE Front Surround: S-FORCE front surrounds provides a virtual surround experience made possible using just two front speakers. You can active a 3D mode to generate a virtual three-dimensional sound effect.
Sound Enhancer: The Sound Enhancer reproduces clear sound by complementing high-frequency bands.
Advanced Auto Volume: The Advanced Auto Volume function keeps the volume level constant across all programs and advertisements.
Volume Offset: Adjusts the volume level of the current input (TV or video input) relative to other inputs.
Audio Outputs: The Sony HDTV offers analog and digital audio outputs.
- Headphone/Analog Output: The TV's side-panel 3.5mm analog output can be used to connect a set of headphones or as an audio output to connect your home theater receiver or soundbar system. You will need a minijack-to-RCA adapter (119MCON2M, sold separately) to make a stereo RCA connection between the television and your AV receiver. The TV's analog audio output terminal will output 2ch audio from any of the television's source inputs. You can set the TV's analog output to Fixed or Variable. You can set the TV to automatically mute the built-in speakers when a set of headphones are connected.
- Digital Audio Output: An optical digital output is provided to allow you to connect the unit to a surround processor. The TV's digital audio output terminal outputs a Dolby Digital or 2-channel down-mixed PCM signal for use with an external Dolby Digital decoder or other external audio system with an optical audio input. The TV's optical digital terminal will output audio from the television's antenna, HDMI, and RCA inputs. The digital optical output terminal only sends an audio signal in Dolby Digital when receiving Dolby Digital surround sound from a digital broadcast channel through the tuner on the TV, or Dolby Digital surround sound from a Sony Bravia Internet app, via the television's network connection. The optical digital audio output will only output in 2ch stereo from sources connected to the TV via HDMI, RCA, or USB.
PC Compatible: A 15-pin HD15 jack allows you to connect your personal computer to the display. There is also a corresponding stereo mini-jack (3.5mm) for the computer's audio signal. The television can be used as a monitor for your PC through the TV's RGB HD-15 input or HDMI input. The TV supports the following PC resolutions - VGA (640 x 480), SVGA (800x 600), XGA (1024 x 768), WXGA (1280 x 768/1360 x 768), SXGA (1280 x 1024), and HDTV (1920 x 1080). When a PC is connected to the TV and the PC input is selected, the PC settings screen is available.
- Wide Mode: Select from Normal (original), Full 1 (enlarge picture keep original aspect ratio), or Full 2 (enlarge picture to fill display area).
- Phase: Adjusts the phase when the screen flickers.
- Pitch: Adjusts the pitch when the picture has unwanted vertical stripes.
- Position: Horizontal Center (moves the position of picture left/right), Vertical Center (moves position of picture up/down)
- Auto Adjustment: Automatically adjusts the display position and phase of the picture when the TV receives an input signal from the connected PC.
USB Port: The Sony TV features two USB (type-A ports) for sharing your photos (JPEG/RAW) or videos (AVCHD/MPEG), and listening to music (MP3/WAV) from your connected digital camera, USB-enabled MP3 player, or other USB storage device. The USB device must be formatted in FAT12, FAT16, and FAT32.
- Picture Frame: You can set photos in the connected USB device to be displayed for a specified period of time for a slide-show demonstration.
- Photomap: By connecting a digital still camera with GPS function to the unit's USB port, you can display a photo with a map of the location where the photo was taken. To use this feature, the TV also has to be connected to the Internet to download map information.
Ethernet (LAN) Jack: The Sony KDL-46EX720 is equipped with an Ethernet (LAN) jack for connecting the television to your home network and computer. Via the TV's Ethernet connection your can enjoy music, video, and still-image files stored on your computer. You can also browse internet content (text-based), listen to internet radio (via Bravia Internet), and watch online movies (via Bravia Internet).
Wi-Fi Adapter Ready: The Sony TV provides a wireless network connection for your TV by inserting a USB Wireless LAN Adapter (158WABR100, sold separately) into one of the TV's USB ports. This optional Wireless LAN Adapter lets you wirelessly access the Internet, Bravia Internet Video, and your home network through the TV. By inserting this USB Wireless LAN Adapter into the TV's USB port, you can easily create a cable-free network. As a result, you can enjoy the convenience of wireless connectivity of your home entertainment network and make accessing your online entertainment even easier.
Note: Requires home network with an 802.11 access point (802.11n recommended) and internet connection. Supports WPS, WEP, and WPA security.
DLNA Certified: DLNA certification allows you to enjoy various content from your home network, such as photo (JPEG), music (MP3/WAV), and video (AVCHD/MPEG) files stored on your Windows 7 PC (or other DLNA Certified media server) on the Sony HDTV. The TV can be connected to your compatible PC using a hardwired Ethernet (LAN) connection or Wi-Fi connection (optional adapter required). This eliminates the need to copy your photo, video, and music files to a separate USB storage device.
Opera Internet Browser: The television's Ethernet (LAN) port allows you to make a broadband Internet connection, so you can connect to and access select web content through it's built-in Opera Internet Browser. Using the Opera Internet Browser, you gain access to Sony.com and Gracenote Music Services. The built-in internet browser also allows you to do basic keyword searches, so you can browse other select websites (text-based only). Some web-pages maybe too large for download.
Note: Requires a broadband internet connection. The Opera Internet Browser is not a full search engine for the Internet and Web. For Internet audio/video/photo content, use Sony's Bravia Internet Video service.
Bravia Internet Video: Bravia Internet Video serves as a gateway to Internet audio/video content, delivering a variety of on-demand entertainment straight to your Sony TV. Once connection (via Ethernet or optional WiFi) to your network and setup is complete, Bravia Internet TV allows you to instantly stream a wide variety of movies, TV episodes, videos, and music from a large selection of entertainment apps. Currently Bravia Internet Video offers the following online content (as of March 2011):
|Bravia Internet Video Entertainment Library|
|amazon instant video||Berliner Philharmoniker||blip.tv||concierge.com||Crackle||CinemaNow|
|Slacker||Sony Pictures Television||Style.com||Tara Stiles||ustudio||Dr. Oz|
|Video Detective||Videocast.com||vTuner||Wired||YouTube Videos||Yahoo!|
Note: Bravia Internet Video Requires home network with a connection speed of at least 2.5 Mbps recommended (10 Mbps for HD content). Video quality and picture size vary and are dependent upon broadband speed and delivery by content provider. Online content may require additional fees and/or PC registration. Available online content may change without notice (visit Sony.com for latest information regarding online content).
Skype Ready: You can enjoy free high-definition Skype-to-Skype video calls from the comfort of your living room. The Sony KDL-46EX720 is Skype Ready, so you can easily connect to your family and friends live on the Sony TV wherever they are with Skype. Simply attach the Sony compact microphone/camera (available spring 2011, sold separately) and see your friends on the big screen.
Automatic Software Updates: Automatic software updates are done through the TV's Ethernet (LAN) port or using the optional Wireless LAN Adapter (sold separately). The TV's software updates when the television is in standby mode.
Scene Mode: You can access the following scene modes from the remote control to optimize both picture and sound quality.
- Auto: Automatically optimizes picture and sound quality according to the input source.
- General: Optimizes picture and sound quality for general content.
- Cinema: Delivers picture scenes and sound just like those in a theater.
- Sports: Presents realistic pictures and sound just like those in a stadium.
- Animation: Lets you enjoy watching an animation with superb picture and sound quality.
- Photo: Reproduces the texture and color of a printed photo.
- Music: Lets you experience dynamic and clear sound just like a concert.
- Game: Broadens your game-playing experience with superb picture and sound quality.
- Graphics: Eases prolonged monitor viewing with clearer detailed pictures.
Rovi Guide: The Rovi On-Screen Guide provide up to 24 hours of program information and easy personalization of program listings. You can search for programs by category or keyword. You can organize the program listings by profile (Move, Sports, Kids, etc..) and create your own profile to organize your favorite programs, channels, or keywords.
Note: The Rovi On-Screen Guide is available with connection to your cable service or with over-the-air antenna signal (not compatible with Satellite TV).
Info Banner: The television's Info Banner displays information about the currently viewed TV channel and program.
Favorites: The Favorites function makes it easy to quickly access your favorite TV content. The Favorites menu manages your preferred TV channels, photos, music, video content, and external inputs for quick and easy access. The Favorites feature provides quick access to your frequently used items, such as preferred TV channels or external inputs. In addition, your favorite media files, Internet content. and Widgets can be shown in the Favorites screen.
Recommendations: The Sony TV also features a "Recommendations" function which automatically analyzes your interests by referencing your viewing history to find programs and items you may like, and presents them in the TV's Favorites menu.
TrackID: This feature searches for information about music and video you've heard and seen from the TV. You can obtain information about music and video played on the current program, external input, connected USB storage device, or network connection. You can also start a new search for information about other audio/video content by entering a keyword (track title, album name, and/or artist name).
Input/Channel Label: You can assign an icon or name to an external input and connected equipment, as well as edit channel labels to your preference.
Close Captions (CC): The Sony HDTV provides Analog Closed Captions and Digital Closed Captions. The Digital CC offers customizable text, font, and size.
ENERGY STAR Certified: This Sony HDTV exceeds ENERGY STAR requirements by incorporating advanced power saving features such as LightSensor Technology, Advance Contrast Enhancer, and the following PC Power Management functions.
- Power Saving: This feature reduces the power consumption by adjusting the backlight brightness of the TV's screen. This also enhances the black level of the television. You can select from Low, High, Off and Picture Off.
- Idle TV Standby: Automatically powers off the TV after 1, 2, or 4 hours when no buttons are pressed on the remote control or the TV.
- Auto Shut Off: Automatically powers off the TV when no input signal is detected for approximately 15 minutes.
- Presence Sensor: Presence Sensor is an audience monitoring function. When the sensor detects no audience in front of the TV for a certain period of time, it turns the picture off automatically, while leaving the TV sound on. Additionally, if no presence is detected after 30 minutes in picture off mode, the TV will switch to standby mode. This helps you save energy automatically turning the picture off when you are not in the room, leaving only the audio on, or switching the TV to standby mode After 30 minutes of no motion. The TV's Presence Sensor has a range of 20'.
TV Timer: The TV Timer turns on the television from the standby mode at a time you set, and tunes to a channel or input of your preference.
Sleep Timer: The sleep timer switches the television off after a specified amount of time. The sleep timer can be set to 15, 30, 45, 60, 90, or 120 minutes.
Parental Control: You can select a viewing limitation based on the TV and movie ratings. Three presets are available (Child, Youth, and Young Adult) or the limitation can be customized to specific industry ratings. The control is accessed and protected by a 4-digit password.
Input/Channel Block:This feature allows you to block certain channels or inputs regardless of program ratings.
i-Manual: The Sony TV comes with a Quick Setup Guide booklet. The TV's full owner's manual can be accessed on the TV using the remote's i-Manual button.
Wireless Remote Control:The TV comes supplied with an IR wireless remote control (RM-YD061). The remote is designed for TV operation only, unless used with Bravia Sync AV components connected by HDMI. The remote control features two power buttons (one on the front of the remote and one on the back of the remote).
Bravia Sync: This TV is equipped with Bravia Sync, an HDMI Control function that allows communication between Sony TVs and other Sony equipment when they are connected via HDMI. Bravia Sync helps you connect compatible Sony Bravia HDMI equipment, such as a BD player or AV amplifier, to the TV and control the external equipment using the television's remote control. With the "Control for HDMI" function, Bravia Sync helps to communicate with Bravia Sync-compatible equipment using HDMI CEC (Consumer Electronics Control). Bravia Sync-compatible equipment is listed as a new input source in the television's menu. The television offers the following Bravia Sync operations for the listed device.
- BD/DVD Player:
- Automatically turns the "Bravia" Sync-compatible equipment on and switches the input to that equipment when you select it from the Home Menu or Sync Menu.
- Automatically turns the TV on and switches the input to the connected equipment when the equipment starts to play.
- Automatically turns the connected equipment off when you switch the TV to standby mode.
- AV Amplifier:
- Automatically turns the connected AV amplifier on and switches the sound output from the TV speaker to the audio system when you turn the TV on. This function is only available if you have previously used the AV amplifier to output TV sound.
- Automatically switches the sound output to the AV amplifier by turning the AV amplifier on when the TV is turned on.
- Automatically turns the connected AV amplifier off when you switch the TV to standby mode.
- Adjusts the volume (VOL +/-) and mutes the sound (MUTING) of the connected AV amplifier through the TV's remote control.
- Video Camera:
- Automatically turns the TV on and switches the input to the connected video camera when the connected video camera is turned on.
- Automatically turns the connected video camera off when you switch the TV to standby mode.
Note: Control for HDMI (Bravia Sync) is only available for the connected Sony equipment that has the Bravia Sync logo.
Tabletop Stand: The display comes supplied with a tabletop pedestal stand which must be attached using the supplied hardware. The tabletop stand allows the television to swivel 20° left or right. The television weighs 39.5 lbs with the stand attached.
Optional Wall Mount Brackets: The stand can be removed, allowing you to wall-mount the TV using an optional wall-mount bracket. The TV has 4 threaded screw holes with a horizontal spacing of 300mm and a vertical spacing of 300mm. The screw holes all accept M6 (6mm) screws. The TV weighs 31.5 lbs without the stand.
Note: When mounting the TV on the stand or a wall (with optional bracket) leave 4" of clearance on each side of the television and 11.875" above the television for adequate ventilation.
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.