Why Choose Crutchfield?
Great gear and expert advice
Our experts help you pick the ideal gear for your needs.Meet our advisors
Free tech support for the life of your gear.Read about our one-on-one expert help
You may return items that are complete and like new for any reason within 60 days.See the details of our return policy
Earn one point for every dollar you spend and use those points to save on future purchases.Get full details on Crutchfield Rewards
Deep discounts on car installation gear
We offer vehicle-specific installation instructions, dash kits, wiring harnesses, and speaker accessories at deeply discounted prices with car stereo and speaker purchases. Available for most vehicles.Learn more
Trusted since 1974
Our customers have trusted us with their business, and they’ve helped us win awards for our service.Check out our most recent awards
The manufacturer’s warranty always applies.See more details
55" 1080p 3D LED-LCD HDTV with Wi-Fi®
From Sony: Bravia HX950
Item # 15855HX950 | MFR # XBR55HX950
This item is no longer available.
Our take on the Sony XBR-55HX950 by Crutchfield's Steve Kindig
The XBR legend lives onThe XBR badge only appears on Sony's very finest HDTVs, and over the years we've found XBR picture quality to be truly something special. The XBR-55HX950 features technology we haven't seen in any other TV brand. Super-strong Corning® Gorilla® Glass makes the elegant “monolithic” frameless design possible, and its superb optical clarity lets the full beauty of high-def and 3D images shine through.
A sophisticated — and increasingly rare — full-array LED backlight with local dimming can independently control the bright and dark levels in each area of the screen, for ultra-precise picture contrast with incredibly deep black levels. And Sony's Super Bit Mapping video processing applies14-bit upscaling to smooth gradation for a more natural-looking picture.
Pro-grade picture detail
Displaying high-definition images with pinpoint detail on a large TV requires more than just a high-quality screen. You need powerful video processing, too, and that's one of Sony's biggest strengths. Their advanced X-Reality™ Pro feature improves picture detail in everything you watch — HD sources as well as low-resolution web videos. X-Reality Pro isn't limited to enhancing detail and reducing video noise. It actually draws on a database of real patterns, shapes and textures to display a startlingly lifelike picture. Plus, you get full HD 1080p — even in 3D — and Sony's highest level of motion processing, Motionflow™ XR 960. And whenever you want to try out the 3D-at-home experience, just pick up a pair or two of Sony's 3D glasses.
Tap into a massive library of online fun
Built-in Wi-Fi® lets you easily connect the XBR-55HX950 to the Internet and stream endless content directly to its screen. The Sony Entertainment Network puts thousands of movies, TV shows, online videos and games at your fingertips, along with millions of songs. Built-in web apps include Netflix®, Hulu Plus™, YouTube™, Pandora® Internet radio, and more. You can also enjoy content pulled from the web or a PC on your home network without connecting an Ethernet cable.
Sony should have continued to produce this TV. It is truly outstanding.
Robert, Port Orchard, Wa.
What's in the Box:
- 55" LED-LCD TV
- Pedestal base
- Guide stand
- Metal neck
- Wireless remote control (RM-YD073)
- 2 "AAA" batteries
- Seven 5mm x 16mm machine screws (flat-/lock-washers installed)
- 2 Plastic caps
- Operating Instructions (Setup Guide)
- Table-top stand assembly diagram (taped to TV)
- Limited Warranty Information
- "Attention" note (En/Fr/Sp)
- Safety/Regulatory Booklet (En/Fr/Sp)
- End User License Agreement
- DIRECTV brochure
- 54.6" screen (measured diagonally)
- frameless "monolithic" design with glossy screen
- tuner receives over-the-air HDTV broadcasts (antenna required)
- QAM cable TV tuner (subscription required to receive cable channels contact your local service provider for details)
- displays 3D images when you wear Sony's active glasses (sold separately)
- 2D-to-3D conversion adds 3D-like depth to non-3D video sources
- OptiContrast panel with super-thin, super-durable Gorilla® Glass
- full array "Intelligent Peak" LED backlight with local dimming for superb picture contrast and black levels
- 1,000,000:1 dynamic contrast ratio
- Motionflow XR 960 blur reduction (240Hz refresh rate plus backlight scanning)
- X-Reality Pro video processing optimizes picture texture, outline, contrast and color
- 1-tuner picture-in-picture
- Internet-ready Smart TV — has built-in apps for accessing the Sony Entertainment Network (on-demand movies and music), Netflix®, and more (broadband service required; subscription/fees required for some online services)
- supports up to 5.1-channel audio with streaming movie services like Netflix and Vudu (audio quality depends on your connection speed)
- built-in Wi-Fi® to link to a wireless network
- Wi-Fi Direct™ Mode supports direct wireless content transfer from compatible devices with no Wi-Fi network needed
- built-in web browser
- find the latest info about this TV's Internet apps at Sony's website
- video and music streaming from a DLNA-compatible Windows® PC
- Skype-ready (requires Sony CMU-BR100 camera, sold separately)
- built-in stereo speakers (10 watts x 2)
- remote control
- BRAVIA Sync simplifies control of compatible Sony components via the HDMI connection (HDMI-CEC)
- meets ENERGY STAR® requirements
- picture settings memory for each video input
Connections and Dimensions:
- 6 A/V inputs, including:
- 1 composite video
- 1 component video (selectable component/composite)
- 4 HDMI v1.4
- PC input
- RF input for antenna/cable signals
- optical digital audio output
- stereo minijack headphone output can also be connected to a sound bar or other audio system
- Ethernet port for a high-speed connection to a home network
- 2 USB ports for connecting a camera or thumb drive
- detachable swivel stand (stand "footprint" is 19-1/4"W x 14-5/8"D)
- wall-mountable (bracket not included)
- 50-3/8 "W x 30-1/2"H x 2-1/4"D (32-1/2"H x 14-5/8"D on stand)
- weight: 65.2 lbs. with stand; 58.9 lbs. without stand
- warranty: 18 months parts & labor in-home service or pick-up for service
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
Sony XBR-55HX950 Reviews
Average Customer Review(s):
Thanks for submitting your review
Features and Specs
Intelligent Peak LED: Sony's Intelligent Peak LED Backlight uses local dimming and boost to achieve an incredible dynamic contrast ratio with the deepest blacks and brightest whites possible. Sony's Intelligent Peak LED Backlight system uses a full array, local dimming for deeper blacks, while also boosting brightness in lighter scenes creating incredible on-screen contrast. Every television picture requires contrast (the difference between dark and light areas of the screen). High contrast makes your TV picture vivid, deep and powerful. Sony achieves spectacular contrast with Intelligent Peak LED Backlight. This system places a multi-segment array of white LEDs behind the screen and varies the LED brightness according to the picture content. It shines brightly where the picture is bright, and can fall to black where the picture is black. Experience Sony's best picture quality and extraordinary contrast with this full-array, local dimming system.
OptiContrast Panel with Corning Gorilla Glass: The Sony Bravia XBR-HX950 series LED-LCD TV combines Sony's OptiContrast Panel with Corning Gorilla Glass for an incredible dynamic contrast, increased brightness, and minimized unwanted light reflection - for overall better picture quality.
- OptiContrast Panel: The Sony Bravia XBR-HX950 series television utilizes OptiContrast panel technology for improved brightness, deeper blacks, less reflection, and overall better picture accuracy.
- Corning Gorilla Glass: The Sony Bravia XBR-HX950 series TV features an incredibly durable, remarkably lightweight, frameless design with Corning's exclusive Gorilla Glass. By replacing the thin layer of air between the LCD panel and the front glass with a specially-formulated dark resin, reflections are minimized and contrast and brightness are increased. This resin also provides a suitably dark background for producing rich and vibrant pictures, even in a well-lit room, and enhances the Bravia LED-LCD television's Monolithic Design concept by making the television appear to be a seamless black monolith when the screen is switched off. Plus, the Corning Gorilla Glass is used to increase the strength of the screen at a molecular level, while simultaneously enabling it to be thinner and lighter than ever before.
X-Reality PRO Engine: Sony's X-Reality PRO Engine lets you enjoy a vivid, lifelike picture experience by analyzing each scene pixel-by-pixel so you see sharpened images, amazing contrast, and fine detail. Blu-ray Disc movies, cable TV, satellite TV, and even Web videos each place unique demands on the processing circuits of a TV. The X-Reality PRO Engine helps get the best results from these different video sources by analyzing texture, outline, contrast, and color reproduction. The X-Reality PRO Engine will then analyze each scene pixel-by-pixel across 3-dimensions (Width, Height, and Time) and uses sophisticated pattern matching to optimize the picture, ensuring you always get the best images possible.
- Intelligent Image Enhancer: Experience exceptional color contrast and picture accuracy in every frame with the television's Intelligent Image Enhancer. The Intelligent Image Enhancer enhances the details and outlines of the picture while suppressing artifacts. The X-Reality Engine uses the Intelligent Image Enhancer to divide the signal according to four characteristics (Texture, Outline, Contrast, and Color). The circuit divides the picture into these four parts, analyzes the quality of each scene and applies only the processing required for each part. The result is a picture that's carefully optimized for natural image reproduction.
- Intelligent MPEG Noise Reduction: Dramatically reduces two common problems in compressed video signals - block noise and mosquito noise. The Intelligent "MPEG Noise Reduction" automatically reduces picture noise, such as mosquito noise and/or block noise, in compressed videos. It improves picture quality in Digital broadcast and DVD/BD/HDD players.
- Reality Creation Pixel Mapping: The television's Reality Creation Pixel Mapping feature adjusts detail and noise for a more realistic picture.
- Adaptive Noise Reduction: The TV's Adaptive Noise Reduction automatically reduces picture noise.
- Adaptive Dot Noise Reduction: Adaptive Dot Noise Reduction automatically reduces dot noise around objects on the screen.
- Video Area Detection: Adjusts effect level optimally by detecting video area within a picture.
- Smooth Gradation: This feature of the X-Reality PRO Engine creates smooth gradations on flat surfaces of the picture.
- Resolution: The Resolution function adjusts detail and clarity of the picture.
Note: The X-Reality Engine performs Interlace-to-Progressive (IP) conversion and upscaling as required. Film-based 24 frames-per-second content undergoes special IP conversion to reduce the "stair-step jaggies" that can form at high-contrast edges.
HDTV Tuner: The TV has built-in over-the-air HDTV (ATSC) and Digital Cable (QAM) tuners, so you don't need a separate set-top box to receive and decode over-the-air HDTV/SDTV or unencrypted Digital Cable signals.
1080p Resolution: The Sony XBR-HX950 series television has a HD native resolution of 1920 x 1080 (1080p). All video signals from standard definition and high definition sources are displayed at 1920 x 1080.
Video Inputs: The Sony XBR-HX950 series TV is equipped with HDMI, Component, and Composite video inputs.
- 4 HDMI Inputs: The XBR-HX950 series features four HDMI inputs. The HDMI (High-Definition Multimedia Interface) terminals provide an uncompressed, all-digital audio/video interface. The HDMI input will accept 1080p (60/24Hz), 1080i, 720p, 480p, and 480i signals. The HDMI 2 input shares a 3.5mm audio jack with the television's PC input. With an HDMI-to-DVI cable, you can connect the TV to a DVI-equipped A/V component. When connecting to a DVI-equipped component, the 3.5mm audio input is used and separate minijack audio cable must be connected.
- Component Video Input: The component video input will accept 1080p (60Hz), 1080i, 720p, 480p, and 480i signals. If needed, the component video input can be used as a composite video input instead.
- Composite Video Input: The TV is also equipped with a composite video (480i only) input.
24pTrue Cinema (24p Input Capability): Many movies are filmed at 24 frames per second (fps) and prime time TV programs are video taped at 24p. Seizing on an opportunity, some studios are taking a purist approach and encoding high definition video content such as Blu-ray Disc in 24p. Sony wisely takes advantage of this by including 24p input capability via HDMI on this television producing images that are smooth and natural looking.
MotionFlow XR 960: Sony's MotionFlow XR 960 technology feature a precise backlight control that is synchronized with the liquid crystal movement from frame-to-frame creating clearer, sharper moving images. MotionFlow XR 960 combines 240 frames-per-second with the TV's advanced full-array, LED backlight system to simulate a 960 Hz effect. MotionFlow XR 960 provides smooth and precise detail during fast-action scenes for fast action movies and sports by reducing blur caused by quick camera movements, enhancing image sharpness, and overall creating a clearer picture. You can select between 4 settings - Smooth, Standard, Clear, or Clear Plus.
- Standard: Provides smooth picture movement for standard use.
- Smooth: Provides smoother picture movement for film-based content.
- Clear: Reduces motion blur for high-speed picture content.
- Clear Plus: Reduces motion blur while maintaining brightness for high-speed picture content.
CineMotion: This function provides improved picture movement and reduces picture blur and graininess for film-based content. There are two settings.
- Auto 1: Provides smoother picture movement that the original film-based content.
- Auto 2: Displays film-based content with picture expression close to the original by applying a film-specific process.
Automatic Intelligence: The TV's built-in Light Sensor automatically adjusts the picture brightness based on the amount of light in the room. As a result, you can enjoy automatic customized picture brightness and save energy without lifting a finger. The televisions Advance Contrast Enhancer (ACE) automatically adjusts backlight and contrast to the most suitable setting judging from the brightness of the screen. This setting is especially effective for dark scenes, and will increase the contrast distinction for the darker picture scenes. The ACE can be set to High, Medium, Low, or Off.
3D Ready: The Sony XBR-HX950 series LED-LCD TV gives you the option to enjoy 3D (three-dimensional) pictures and graphics. You can enjoy an immersive, realistic movie and gaming experience in Full HD 1080p using Sony's proprietary 3D Active Glasses, (158BR250, sold separately) and connecting a compatible 3D-ready Blu-ray Disc Player, Satellite Receiver, or PlayStation3 gaming console (all sold separately) to the HDTV via HDMI. When viewed through the active shutter glasses, the on-screen image is precisely synchronized and delivered with the Full HD 1080p image intact, for an optimum 3D viewing experience. Sony's 3D technology displays high speed synchronized left- and right-eye images to deliver an immersive 3D experience. And since each frame you see is shown at Full HD resolution, the 3D action still offers razor-sharp detail. You can adjust the following 3D settings.
- Display Mode: For switching between 3D and 2D display modes.
- 3D Format: Select between 3 types of 3D formats based
on your video content.
- Simulated: for viewing regular 2D pictures in simulated 3D
- Side-by-Side: selecting this displays two near-identical pictures side-by-side for 3D viewing (wear the 3D Glasses before setting "3D Format" as the instructions will otherwise be unreadable because of doubly-blurred letters on the screen)
- Over-Under: selecting this displays two near-identical pictures one above the other for 3D viewing (wear the 3D Glasses before setting "3D Format" as the instructions will otherwise be unreadable because of doubly-blurred letters on the screen)
- 3D Depth Adjustment: For adjusting the depth of the 3D image on the screen.
- Simulated 3D Effect: Use to heighten or lessen the 3D effect when you display 2D pictures in simulated 3D.
- 3D Glass Brightness: For setting the image brightness when using 3D display mode. By selecting "Auto", image brightness through the 3D glasses is automatically adjusted in conjunction with the "Scene Select" setting.
Note: The 3D display mode is automatically selected when a 3D signal is detected. The recommended viewing angle and distance for 3D viewing is 120° (left/right) at 3'-20'.
Wide Mode: The Wide Mode feature allows you to select the screen display which fits the current video image and TV screen best. Based on the original signal source, you may see black bars around the picture or just on the both sides of the screen. Sometimes you will see the picture fill the full screen.
|Wide Mode||16:9 Original Source||4:3 Original Source|
|Wide Zoom||Enlarges the picture to fill the screen with minimal distortion.||Enlarges the center portion of the 4:3 picture proportionately, while the left and right edges of the screen are stretched to fill the screen.|
|Normal||Displays a 4:3 picture in its original aspect ratio when the original source is 4:3 (available for 480i or 480p sources).||Displays the 4:3 picture in its original size with black bars at the left and right sides to fill the screen (available for 480i or 480p sources).|
|Full||Displays the picture at its original size.||Stretches the entire 4:3 picture horizontally only to fill the screen.|
|Zoom||Enlarges the picture proportionately, both vertically and horizontally.||Enlarges the entire 4:3 picture proportionately to fill the screen (useful for watching Letterbox movies).|
|Captions||Stretches the picture horizontally, while fitting captions on the screen.||Stretches the picture horizontally to fill a 16:9 screen, while fitting captions in the screen.|
|Stretches a black-framed game image to fill the screen.|
Automatically changes screen settings based upon incoming video signal and content.
Picture Modes: You can select one of the following picture modes:
- Standard: Displays a standard picture for typical viewing environments.
- Cinema: 1 (suitable for a theater-like environment), 2 (for basic home use).
- Vivid: Enhances picture contrast and sharpness.
- Sports: Optimizes picture quality for viewing sports.
- Animation: Optimizes picture quality for viewing animations.
- Game: Standard (provides standard picture suitable for games), Original (adjust the game picture according to your preference).
- Graphics: Optimizes picture quality for viewing graphics.
- Photo: Standard (optimizes picture quality for viewing photographs), Original (enhances the visual warmth of photographs), Vivid (enhances contrast, sharpness, color of photographs), Custom: (adjustment of detailed settings for viewing photographs and storing your preferred settings).
- Custom: Backlight (adjust brightness of backlight), Picture (adjusts picture contrasts), Brightness (adjusts brightness of picture), Color (adjusts color intensity), Hue (adjusts green and red tones), Color Temperature (adjusts the whiteness of the picture), and Sharpness (adjusts sharpness of picture).
Note: The TV's picture adjustments can be made for a particular A/V input or for all inputs. You can also lock the television's picture adjustments to prevent the TV's Picture Settings from being changed.
Advanced Video Settings: In addition to the Picture mode, the Advanced Video Settings menu also features the following:
- Auto Light Limiter: Reduces glare such as in scenes where the entire screen is white.
- LED Dynamic Control: Optimizes contrast by adjusting brightness in individual sections of the screen.
- Black Corrector: Enhances black areas of the picture for stronger contrast. The Black Corrector can be set to High, Medium, Low, or Off.
- Detail Enhancer: Enhances the details of the picture.
- Edge Enhancer: Enhances the edges of the picture.
- Skin Naturalizer: Makes the texture of the skin smoother (available for USB and Media server content). It can be set to High, Medium, Low, or Off.
- Gamma: Adjusts the balance between bright and dark areas of the picture.
- Clear White: Emphasizes white and light colors. It can be set to High, Low, or Off.
- Live Color: Makes colors more vivid and reproduces clear skin tones. It can be set to High, Medium, Low, or Off.
- White Balance: Adjusts the color temperature color by color.
Pro Picture Setup: The Pro Picture Setup menu allows for Color Matrix and HDMI adjustments.
- Color Matrix: Reproduces the color-difference signals. It is recommended to leave this at the factory default setting.
- HDMI Dynamic Range: Produces natural color by changing the luminance tone reproduction of HDMI input color signals.
PIP & PAP: The Sony LED-LCD TV offers PIP (picture in picture) and PAP (picture and picture).
- PIP (Picture in Picture): Picture-in-Picture displays an image from a connected PC (via PC-input or HDMI) in full-screen and a TV program other external input in an inset window. You can swap audio between the main and sub window. You can also change the channel of the sub window. If you have your PC connected via HDMI, you cannot view another HDMI source in the inset window.
- PAP (Picture and Picture): This feature lets you watch two pictures simultaneously. You can view an image from a TV program and external input (except for PC) at the same time. One picture will be displayed as the main image, while to other is displayed in an sub window. You can flip-flop images and switch audio between the two images.
ARC (Audio Return Channel): The Audio Return Channel in HDMI 1.4 enables a TV, via a single HDMI cable, to send audio data "upstream" to an A/V receiver; increasing user flexibility and eliminating the need for any separate S/PDIF audio connection. This feature allows audio to be sent from the television to your A/V receiver through the same HDMI cable already being used to send audio/video to the television. This eliminates the need for extra cables connected to the TV. ARC allows audio from the TV tuner, Network connection, inserted USB device, HDMI inputs, or any analog connected device to be heard through your ARC compatible AV receiver via the television's HDMI ARC input. The audio from the TV's tuner, network connection, and HDMI inputs can pass as Dolby Digital or 2ch PCM. USB and analog connected devices will be output as 2ch PCM only.
Note: Both the television and the receiver must support ARC for this function to work properly. When connecting an A/V receiver that is compatible with Audio Return Channel (ARC), connect it to the TV's HDMI IN 1 port. If connecting a system that is incompatible Audio Return Channel (ARC), an additional audio connection via Digital Audio Out (Optical) is necessary.
Sound Position: The speakers of this TV provide different sound images according to how you position the television. You can select between "Table-Top Stand" or "Wall Mount/Floor Stand" to provide the best sound quality based on the television's placement.
Sound Mode: You can customize the bass and treble or use one of the three preset sound modes:
- Dynamic: Enhances both treble and bass to make sound clear.
- Standard: Provides natural sound.
- Clear Voice: Make voice clearer by lowering background sound.
- Custom: Allows you to customize sound settings (Bass, Treble and Balance).
Note: The TV's sound adjustments can be made for a particular A/V input or for all inputs.
Equalizer: The TV is equipped with a 7-band EQ (100Hz, 200Hz, 500Hz, 1kHz, 2kHz, 5kHz, 10kHz). You can adjust the level of each band between -12 to +12 dB.
S-FORCE Front Surround: S-FORCE front surrounds provides a virtual surround experience made possible using just two front speakers. You can active a 3D mode to generate a virtual three-dimensional sound effect.
Sound Enhancer: The Sound Enhancer reproduces clear sound by complementing high-frequency bands.
Advanced Auto Volume: The Advanced Auto Volume function keeps the volume level constant across all programs and advertisements.
Volume Offset: Adjusts the volume level of the current input (TV or video input) relative to other inputs.
Audio Outputs: The Sony HDTV offers analog and digital audio outputs.
- Headphone/Analog Output: The TV's 3.5mm analog output can be used to connect a set of headphones or as an audio output to connect your home theater receiver or soundbar system. You will need a minijack-to-RCA adapter (sold separately) to make a stereo RCA connection between the television and your AV receiver. The TV's analog audio output terminal will output 2ch audio from any of the television's source inputs. You can set the TV's analog output to Fixed or Variable. You can set the TV to automatically mute the built-in speakers when a set of headphones are connected.
- Digital Audio Output: An optical digital output is provided to allow you to connect the unit to a surround processor. The TV's digital audio output terminal outputs a Dolby Digital or 2-channel down-mixed PCM signal for use with an external Dolby Digital decoder or other external audio system with an optical audio input. The TV's optical digital terminal will output audio from the television's antenna, HDMI, and RCA inputs. The digital optical output terminal only sends an audio signal in Dolby Digital when receiving Dolby Digital surround sound from a digital broadcast channel through the tuner on the TV, or Dolby Digital surround sound from a Sony Bravia Internet app, via the television's network connection. The optical digital audio output will only output in 2ch stereo from sources connected to the TV via HDMI, RCA, or USB.
Wired or Wireless Network Connection: The Sony XBR-HX950 series LED-LCD TV supports a wired or wireless network connection. Via the TV's network connection your can enjoy music, video, and still-image files stored on your computer. You can also listen to internet radio and watch online movies, via the Bravia Entertainment Network.
- Ethernet (LAN) Jack: The Sony XBR-HX950 series LED-LCD TV is equipped with an Ethernet (LAN) RJ-45 jack for connecting the television to your home network and computer.
- WiFi (wireless LAN): The Sony TV offers built-in WiFi that allows you to wirelessly access the Internet and your home network. The TV's built-in WiFi provides a wireless network connection for the television with easy and quick setup. With this feature, you can easily connect to a wireless LAN and enjoy the benefits of networking in a cable-free environment. A wireless connection requires a home network with an 802.11 access point (802.11n recommended) and internet connection. Supports WPS, WEP, and WPA security.
Bravia Entertainment Network: Once the TV has been connected to your home network (via Ethernet or WiFi), you can have your favorite internet content delivered to the Sony LED-LCD TV screen via Bravia Internet Video, Yahoo! Widgets, or the built-in web browser. You can stream movies, videos, music, and more with Bravia Internet Video; while Yahoo! Widgets allow you to easily access local news, sports headlines, and social media feeds. The built-in web-browser lets you search on-line content by URL and keywords.
- Bravia Internet Video: Bravia Internet Video serves as a gateway to online audio/video content, delivering a variety of on-demand entertainment straight to the Sony TV. Bravia Internet TV allows you to instantly stream a wide variety of movies, TV episodes, videos, and music from a large selection of entertainment apps. You'll be able to enjoy some of the web's most popular online movie services; Netflix(5.1ch), Hulu Plus, Video Unlimited, CinemaNow, Amazon Instant Video, YouTube, and more. You can also listen to select music services offered on the internet with this receiver. You'll be able to enjoy some of the web's most popular internet radio services; vTuner, Pandora, Music Unlimited, Slacker, NPR, and more. Visit the Sony Entertainment Network for a full list of the latest internet content.
- Yahoo! Widgets: Yahoo! Widgets deliver interactive content when your TV is connected to the Internet. Widgets are small downloadable applications that provide easy access to interactive content when your TV is connected to the Internet. You can display a variety of information on the screen. You are able to download these widgets directly to your TV screen to quickly access news headlines, weather updates, sports scores, finance/stocks while you watch TV. You are also able to access Facebook, Twitter, and Flickr.
- Opera Internet Browser: The built-in Opera Internet Browser allows you to access select web content through the Sony LED-LCD TV. Using the Opera Internet Browser, you gain access to Sony.com and Gracenote Music Services. The built-in internet browser also allows you to enter URLs and do basic keyword searches, so you can browse other select websites (text-based only). The Opera Internet Browser is not a full search engine for the Internet and Web. For Internet audio/video/photo content, use Sony's Bravia Internet Video service. Some web-pages maybe too large for download.
Note: Bravia Entertainment Network content requires a home network with a connection speed of at least 2.5 Mbps recommended (10 Mbps for HD content). Video quality and picture size vary and are dependent upon broadband speed and delivery by content provider. Online content may require additional fees and/or PC registration. Available online content may change without notice (visit Sony.com for latest information regarding online content).
Skype Ready: You can enjoy free high-definition Skype-to-Skype video calls from the comfort of your living room through this Sony TV. Simply attach the Sony compact microphone/camera (158CBR100, sold separately) and see your friends on the big screen.
DLNA Certified: DLNA certification allows you to enjoy various content from your home network, such as photo (JPEG), music (MP3WMA/LPCM), and video (AVCHD/MPEG/WMV) files stored on your Windows 7 PC (or other DLNA Certified media server) on the Sony HDTV. The TV can be connected to your compatible PC using a hardwired Ethernet (LAN) connection or Wi-Fi connection (via built-in WiFi). This eliminates the need to copy your photo, video, and music files to a separate USB storage device.
WiFi Direct: Sometimes your friends want to share their personal photos and videos on your beautiful HDTV. With Sony's WiFi Direct Mode, your friends can wirelessly transfer personal content (such as photos & videos) to your TV without connecting to your home network. WiFi Direct completely bypasses the WiFi access point/router, so it's easy to set up. Streaming of copy-protected content and other certain formats are not supported.
USB Port: The Sony LED-LCD TV features two USB (type-A) ports for sharing your photos (JPEG) or videos (MPEG/H.264/XviD/WMV9), and listening to music (MP3/WMA) from your connected digital camera, USB-enabled MP3 player, or other USB storage device. You USB-connected device must USB mass storage class compliant and be formatted in FAT 16/32.
- Photo Playback Auto Start: The TV automatically displays the thumbnail view screen when the TV is turned on and a digital still camera or other USB device storing photo files is connected to the TV's USB port.
- Photo Frame: You can enjoy looking at a photo, listening to music, and viewing the clock/calendar at the same time. To prevent any type of burn-in, the position of the photo, clock, and calendar are switched automatically every hour. The TV will automatically shut off after 1, 2, 4, or 24 hours of Photo Frame mode.
PC Compatible: A 15-pin HD15 jack allows you to connect your personal computer to the display. There is also a corresponding stereo mini-jack (3.5mm) for the computer's audio signal. The television can be used as a monitor for your PC through the TV's RGB HD-15 input or HDMI 1 input. The TV supports the following PC resolutions - VGA(640x480), SVGA(800x600), XGA(1024x768), WXGA(1280x768), SXGA(1280x1024) and HDTV (1920x1080). When a PC is connected to the TV and the PC input is selected, the PC settings screen is available.
- Wide Mode: Select from Normal (original), Full 1 (enlarge picture keep original aspect ratio), or Full 2 (enlarge picture to fill display area).
- Sharpness: Phase (fine tunes overall sharpness), Pitch (adjusts uneven sharpness)
- Position: Horizontal Center (moves the position of picture left/right), Vertical Center (moves position of picture up/down)
- Auto Adjustment: Automatically adjusts the display position and phase of the picture when the TV receives an input signal from the connected PC.
Info Banner: The television's Info Banner displays information about the currently viewed TV channel and program.
Favorites: The Favorites function makes it easy to quickly access your favorite TV content. The Favorites menu manages your preferred TV channels, external inputs, media files, Internet content, and widgets for quick and easy access. The Favorites feature provides quick access to your frequently used items, such as preferred TV channels or external inputs. In addition, your favorite media files, Internet content. and Widgets can be shown in the Favorites screen.
Recommendations: The Sony TV also features a "Recommendations" function which automatically analyzes your interests by referencing your viewing history to find programs and items you may like, and presents them in the TV's Favorites menu.
TrackID: This feature searches for information about music and video you've heard and seen from the TV. You can obtain information about music and video played on the current program, external input, connected USB storage device, or network connection. You can also start a new search for information about other audio/video content by entering a keyword (track title, album name, and/or artist name).
Video Search: Find out all you need to know about the actors and directors of the movie or TV series you're watching, with Sony's Video Search feature. It provides detailed cast and crew information, including other related content, so you can enjoy more shows or movies (Network/Internet connection required).
Scene Mode: You can access the following scene modes from the remote control to optimize both picture and sound quality.
- Auto: Automatically optimizes picture and sound quality according to the input source.
- General: Optimizes picture and sound quality for general content.
- Cinema: Delivers picture scenes and sound just like those in a theater.
- Sports: Presents realistic pictures and sound just like those in a stadium.
- Animation: Lets you enjoy watching an animation with superb picture and sound quality.
- Photo: Reproduces the texture and color of a printed photo.
- Music: Lets you experience dynamic and clear sound just like a concert.
- Game: Broadens your game-playing experience with superb picture and sound quality.
- Graphics: Eases prolonged monitor viewing with clearer detailed pictures.
Input/Channel Label: You can assign an icon or name to an external input and connected equipment, as well as edit channel labels to your preference.
Close Captions (CC): The Sony televisions provides Analog Closed Captions and Digital Closed Captions. The Digital CC offers customizable text, font, and size.
ENERGY STAR Certified: This Sony LED-LCD TV exceeds ENERGY STAR requirements by incorporating advanced power saving features such as LightSensor Technology, Advance Contrast Enhancer, and the following Power Management functions.
- Power Saving: This feature reduces the power consumption by adjusting the backlight brightness of the TV's screen. You can select from Low, High, Off and Picture Off.
- Backlight Drive: The TV adjusts the backlight brightness according to the Scene Select mode to reduce power consumption.
- Idle TV Standby: Automatically powers off the TV after 1, 2, or 4 hours when no buttons are pressed on the remote control or the TV.
- Auto Shut Off: Automatically powers off the TV when no input signal is detected for approximately 15 minutes.
Timers: The Sony LED-LCD TV offers On and Sleep timers.
- TV Timer: The TV Timer turns on the television from the standby mode at a time you set, and tunes to a channel or input of your preference.
- Sleep Timer: The sleep timer switches the television off after a specified amount of time. The sleep timer can be set to 15, 30, 45, 60, 90, or 120 minutes.
Parental Control: You can select a viewing limitation based on the TV and movie ratings. Three presets are available (Child, Youth, and Young Adult) or the limitation can be customized to specific industry ratings. You can also block specific channels. The control is accessed and protected by a 4-digit password.
Input/Channel Block: This feature allows you to block certain channels or inputs regardless of program ratings.
i-Manual: The Sony TV comes with a Quick Setup Guide booklet. The TV's full owner's manual can be accessed on the TV using the remote's i-Manual button.
Automatic Software Updates: Automatic software updates are done through the TV's Ethernet (LAN) port or built-in WiFi. The TV's software updates when the television is in standby mode. The tested television contained firmware version PKG1.402AAA (as of 11/7/2012). Visit the Sony eSupport site for the latest software updates.
Wireless Remote Control: The TV comes supplied with an IR remote control for wireless operation of the television. The remote is designed for TV operation only, unless used with Bravia Sync AV components connected by HDMI. The remote offers a dedicated Netflix button to instantly access your Netflix account on the Sony TV.
Bravia Sync: This TV is equipped with Bravia Sync, an HDMI Control function that allows communication between Sony TVs and other Sony equipment when they are connected via HDMI. Bravia Sync helps you connect compatible Sony Bravia HDMI equipment, such as a BD player or AV amplifier, to the TV and control the external equipment using the television's remote control. With the "Control for HDMI" function, Bravia Sync helps to communicate with Bravia Sync-compatible equipment using HDMI CEC (Consumer Electronics Control). Bravia Sync-compatible equipment is listed as a new input source in the television's menu. The television offers the following Bravia Sync operations for the listed device.
- BD/DVD Player:
- Automatically turns the "Bravia" Sync-compatible equipment on and switches the input to that equipment when you select it from the Home Menu or Sync Menu.
- Automatically turns the TV on and switches the input to the connected equipment when the equipment starts to play.
- Automatically turns the connected equipment off when you switch the TV to standby mode.
- AV Amplifier:
- Automatically turns the connected AV amplifier on and switches the sound output from the TV speaker to the audio system when you turn the TV on. This function is only available if you have previously used the AV amplifier to output TV sound.
- Automatically switches the sound output to the AV amplifier by turning the AV amplifier on when the TV is turned on.
- Automatically turns the connected AV amplifier off when you switch the TV to standby mode.
- Adjusts the volume (VOL +/-) and mutes the sound (MUTING) of the connected AV amplifier through the TV's remote control.
- Video Camera:
- Automatically turns the TV on and switches the input to the connected video camera when the connected video camera is turned on.
- Automatically turns the connected video camera off when you switch the TV to standby mode.
Note: Control for HDMI (Bravia Sync) is only available for the connected Sony equipment that has the Bravia Sync logo.
Mobile Device Control: You can turn your iPod touch, iPhone, iPad (running iOS 4.0+), or compatible Android smartphone (2.1+) into a versatile remote when you download the free Media Remote app for Apple App Store or the Android Market. The Media Remote app requires that the TV and Apple iOS or Android remote device be connected to the same wireless network with the remote device connected through an 802.11 access point (802.11n recommended). Enjoy complete remote function, as well as full QWERTY keyboard.
USB Keyboard/Mouse Compatible: You can connect a USB-enabled keyboard and mouse (both sold separately) to the television for easier web browsing. You can move the cursor with the USB mouse and enter text with the USB keyboard. Not all web-based apps support keyboard/mouse control.
Tabletop Stand: The Sony television comes supplied with a tabletop pedestal stand which must be attached using the supplied hardware. The television weighs 65.2 lbs with the stand attached. The tabletop stand allows the television to swivel 15° left or right, as well as tilt backward 6°.
Optional Wall Mount Brackets: The stand can be removed, allowing you to wall-mount the TV using an optional wall-mount bracket. The TV has 4 threaded screw holes with a horizontal spacing of 300mm and a vertical spacing of 300mm. The screw holes all accept M6 (6mm) screws. The TV weighs 58.9 lbs without the stand.
Note: When mounting the TV on the stand or a wall (with optional bracket) leave 4" of clearance on each side of the television and 11.875" above the television for adequate ventilation.
Attached AC Power Cord: The television if fitted with an attached 5' AC power cord which is terminated by a straight two-prong AC plug. The AC plug sits 1.375" from the wall.
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.