Why Choose Crutchfield?
Great gear and expert advice
Our experts help you pick the ideal gear for your needs.Meet our advisors
Free tech support for the life of your gear.Read about our one-on-one expert help
You may return items that are complete and like new for any reason within 60 days.See the details of our return policy
Earn one point for every dollar you spend and use those points to save on future purchases.Get full details on Crutchfield Rewards
Deep discounts on car installation gear
We offer vehicle-specific installation instructions, dash kits, wiring harnesses, and speaker accessories at deeply discounted prices with car stereo and speaker purchases. Available for most vehicles.Learn more
Trusted since 1974
Our customers have trusted us with their business, and they’ve helped us win awards for our service.Check out our most recent awards
The manufacturer’s warranty always applies.See more details
55" 1080p 3D LED-LCD HDTV with Wi-Fi®
Item # 15855W900 | MFR # KDL55W900A
This item is no longer available.
Our take on the Sony KDL-55W900A by Crutchfield's Steve Kindig
Sony's #1 priority is still picture quality
The KDL-55W900A ably demonstrates Sony's total mastery of TV display technology. Whether it's due to their decades of experience building the highest-performing TVs available, or because they're the only TV maker that owns a movie studio, Sony consistently delivers a beautifully lifelike picture.
Sony TVs have long been known for their powerful video processing. The new X-Reality™ Pro chip enhances picture quality by analyzing and correcting images, resulting in impressively natural detail and color. You'll see the benefits of X-Reality Pro on everything from Blu-ray discs to Netflix® movies to video clips from your smartphone. X-Reality Pro enhances detail and reduces video noise in a sophisticated way. It actually draws on a database of real patterns, shapes and textures to display a startlingly lifelike picture.
You also get Sony's highest level of motion processing, Motionflow™ XR 960, which reduces the blur and judder that can smear high-speed movement. It combines 240Hz refresh rate with a high-speed blinking backlight, achieving blur reduction that is equivalent to what you'd see with a 960Hz refresh rate. The enhanced clarity is noticeable whether you're watching video in 2D or 3D.
TRILUMINOS LED backlighting
Unique to Sony, TRILUMINOS Display LED backlighting creates remarkably pure, lifelike colors. This cutting-edge "quantum dot" technology achieves a wider color range. Even hard-to-reproduce shades like deep reds and emerald greens are displayed beautifully. Sony's "Dynamic Edge" edge-lit LED backlight system essentially divides the screen into regions, each of which can be dimmed independently. This is a form of "local dimming," and it provides excellent picture contrast with black levels that get really black.
Watching more on the web
More and more people these days are turning to the web for day-to-day viewing, so a TV's Internet smarts are important. The KDL-55W900A includes built-in apps for accessing the Sony Entertainment Network, home to thousands of movies, shows, games and more. You can also stream movies instantly from Netflix® or listen to Pandora® Internet radio through the TV. Built-in Wi-Fi® lets you enjoy entertainment pulled from the web or a PC on your home network without connecting an Ethernet cable. Wirelessly streamed HD video can look surprisingly good.
A few of this TV's cool new tricks
In addition to standard Wi-Fi operation, Sony's Wi-Fi Direct Mode completely bypasses your wireless router. The next time your friends want to share photos or videos from their smartphones, they can wirelessly "throw" the content straight to this TV. Also, if you download the free Media Remote™ app you can turn your iPhone®, Android™ phone or Sony Tablet™ into a versatile remote.
Awesome picture. Great for gaming, sports and action movies.
Bob E, New Fairfield, Ct
What's in the Box:
- 55" LED-LCD TV
- Pedestal base
- Pedestal bracket
- IR remote control (RM-YD087)
- RF remote control (RMF-YD001)
- 4 "AAA" batteries
- Four 3D glasses (TDG-BT400A)
- Seven M5 x 16mm screws (lock-/flat-washers)
- Operating Instructions (Setup Guide)
- Active 3D Glasses Instructions
- Safety/Regulatory Booklet
- Stand Assembly Diagram (taped to TV)
- Limited Warranty
- End User License Agreement
- "Attention" note
- "Color IQ" note
- Directv Brochure
- 54.6" screen (measured diagonally)
- glossy screen, black bezel and cabinet
- tuner receives over-the-air HDTV broadcasts (antenna required)
- QAM cable TV tuner (subscription required to receive cable channels contact your local service provider for details)
- displays 3D images when you wear Sony's active glasses (4 pairs of glasses are included)
- 2D-to-3D conversion adds 3D-like depth to non-3D video sources
- Triluminous LED backlight with local dimming for vivid colors and superior picture contrast
- Motionflow XR 960 blur reduction (240Hz refresh rate plus backlight scanning)
- X-Reality PRO video processing optimizes picture texture, outline, contrast and color
- Internet-ready Smart TV — has built-in apps for accessing the Sony Entertainment Network (on-demand movies and music), Netflix®, and more (subscription required for some services)
- supports up to 5.1-channel audio with streaming movie services like Netflix and Amazon Instant Video (audio quality depends on your connection speed)
- built-in Wi-Fi® to link to a wireless network
- built-in web browser
- find the latest info about this TV's Internet apps at Sony's website
- video and music streaming from a DLNA-compatible Windows® PC
- Skype-ready (requires Sony CMU-BR100 camera, sold separately)
- MHL-compatible HDMI input for viewing photos/videos from a compatible smartphone on the TV's screen
- built-in speakers (10 watts x 2)
- remote control
- free downloadable apps for iOS® and Android let you use a compatible smartphone as a remote control
- BRAVIA Sync simplifies control of compatible Sony components via the HDMI connection (HDMI-CEC)
- meets ENERGY STAR® requirements
Connections and Dimensions:
- 6 A/V inputs, including:
- 4 HDMI
- 1 component video (selectable component/composite)
- 1 composite video
- RF input for antenna/cable signals
- optical digital audio output (may only pass 2-channel audio from HDMI-connected sources)
- stereo minijack headphone output can also be connected to a sound bar or other audio system
- Ethernet port for a wired connection to a home network
- 3 USB inputs for connecting a camera or thumb drive
- detachable swivel stand (stand "footprint" is 18-1/4"W x 11-3/4"D)
- wall-mountable (bracket not included)
- 48-7/8"W x 28-1/2"H x 2-7/16"D (29-5/8"H x 11-3/4"D on stand)
- weight: 48.5 lbs. with stand; 43.4 lbs. without stand
- warranty: 1 year parts & labor in-home service or pick-up for service
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
Sony KDL-55W900A Reviews
Average Customer Review(s):
Thanks for submitting your review
Features and Specs
Dynamic Edge LED Backlighting w/ Local Dimming: Dynamic Edge LED backlighting with local dimming delivers pitch-black night scenes and illuminates bright scenes that pop with vibrant color. Rather than illuminating the entire screen, contrast is boosted in just the right areas for a more realistic picture.
TRILUMINOS Display Technology: Unique to Sony, TRILUMINOS Display technology creates incredibly true, natural shades of colors; just the way you want them. Hard-to-reproduce reds, aqua blues, and emerald greens are displayed beautifully, so landscapes and seascapes look more vivid. Faces look better, too, with natural skin tones. It's all thanks to a new TRILUMINOS display that gives images a heightened sense of depth.
X-Reality PRO Engine: Sony's X-Reality PRO Engine lets you enjoy a vivid, lifelike picture experience by analyzing each scene pixel-by-pixel so you see sharpened images, amazing contrast, and fine detail. Blu-ray Disc movies, cable TV, satellite TV, and even Web videos each place unique demands on the processing circuits of a TV. The X-Reality PRO Engine helps get the best results from these different video sources by analyzing texture, outline, contrast, and color reproduction. The X-Reality PRO Engine will then analyze each scene pixel-by-pixel across 3-dimensions (Width, Height, and Time) and uses sophisticated pattern matching to optimize the picture, ensuring you always get the best images possible.
MotionFlow XR 960 Technology: Sony's MotionFlow XR 960 technology feature a precise backlight control that is synchronized with the liquid crystal movement from frame-to-frame creating clearer, sharper moving images. MotionFlow XR 960 combines 240 frames-per-second with the TV's advanced LED backlight system to simulate a 960 Hz effect. MotionFlow XR 960 provides smooth and precise detail during fast-action scenes for fast action movies and sports by reducing blur caused by quick camera movements, enhancing image sharpness, and overall creating a clearer picture. You can select between various settings.
- Standard: Provides smooth picture movement for standard use.
- Smooth: Provides smoother picture movement for film-based content.
- Clear: Reduces motion blur for high-speed picture content.
- Clear Plus: Reduces motion blur while maintaining brightness for high-speed picture content.
- True Cinema: Images, such as a movie created in 24fps are reproduced at the original frame rate.
1080p Resolution: The Sony KDL-W900A series television has a HD native resolution of 1920 x 1080 (1080p). All video signals from standard definition and high definition sources are displayed at 1920 x 1080. The Sony KDL-W900A series TV is equipped with HDMI, Component, and Composite video inputs.
- 4 HDMI Inputs: The KDL-W900A series TV is fitted with four HDMI inputs to connect your high-definition sources; such as Blu-ray/DVD player, Satellite/Cable receiver, game system, and AV receiver. In addition, any HDMI input can be used to connect a PC to this TV. The HDMI inputs will accept 1080p (60/24Hz), 1080i, 720p, 480p, and 480i signals.
- Component Video Input: The component video input will accept 1080p (60Hz), 1080i, 720p, 480p, and 480i signals. If needed, the component video input can be used as a composite video (480i only) input instead.
- Composite Video: The composite video input will support 480i video signals only.
Note: The TV has built-in over-the-air HDTV (ATSC) and Digital Cable (QAM) tuners, so you don't need a separate set-top box to receive and decode over-the-air HDTV/SDTV or unencrypted Digital Cable signals.
24pTrue Cinema (24p Input Capability): Many movies are filmed at 24 frames per second (fps) and prime time TV programs are video taped at 24p. Seizing on an opportunity, some studios are taking a purist approach and encoding high definition video content such as Blu-ray Disc in 24p. Sony wisely takes advantage of this by including 24p input capability via HDMI on this television producing images that are smooth and natural looking.
MHL Compatible: The HDMI 2 input is designed for the connection of select mobile phones and other portable electronic devices using the new MHL (Mobile High-Definition Link) standard. Simply plug your MHL compatible smartphone into the TV's HDMI 2 (MHL) input using the HDMI cable that is included with your mobile phone. MHL allows you to display full 1080p video and still images on the Sony TV from your mobile smartphone. The TV's IR remote can be used to control basic playback functions (such as Play/Pause, Stop, Fast Forward/Rewind, and Menu navigation). Your MHL compliant device will also charge while connected to the TV's HDMI 2 input. To find MHL-certified devices, go to www.mhlconsortium.org.
Active 3D Technology: The Sony KDL-W900A series TV gives you the option to enjoy 3D (three-dimensional) pictures and graphics. You can enjoy an immersive, realistic movie and gaming experience in Full HD 1080p using the included active 3D glasses (4 pair included). Enjoy 3D content from the TV's built-in network apps, or your HDMI connected Blu-ray player, satellite receiver, or gaming console. When using the active shutter glasses, the on-screen image is precisely synchronized and delivered with the Full HD 1080p image intact, for an optimum 3D viewing experience. Sony's 3D technology displays high speed synchronized left- and right-eye images to deliver an amazing 3D experience. And since each frame you see is shown at Full HD resolution, the 3D action still offers razor-sharp detail. You can adjust the following 3D settings.
- Depth Control: You can adjust the depth of the 3D image to your personal preference.
- 2D-to-3D Conversion: To ensure that you can enjoy 3D any time you want, Sony has incorporated 2D-to-3D conversion, which allows you to watch your favorite 2D movies, TV programs, or games in virtual 3D.
- SimulView Gaming: SimulView gaming presents two different Full HD pictures at once on the LED-LCD TV, making it so each player sees only their unique point of view across the entire screen while wearing the included Active 3D glasses. There's already a growing collection of fun-filled PS3 games with SimulView technology.
Automatic Intelligence: The TV's built-in Light Sensor automatically adjusts the picture brightness based on the amount of light in the room. As a result, you can enjoy automatic customized picture brightness and save energy without lifting a finger. The televisions Advance Contrast Enhancer (ACE) automatically adjusts backlight and contrast to the most suitable setting judging from the brightness of the screen. This setting is especially effective for dark scenes, and will increase the contrast distinction for the darker picture scenes. The ACE can be set to High, Medium, Low, or Off.
Wide Mode: The Wide Mode feature allows you to select the screen display which fits the current video image and TV screen best. Based on the original signal source, you may see black bars around the picture or just on the both sides of the screen. Sometimes you will see the picture fill the full screen.
|Wide Mode||16:9 Original Source||4:3 Original Source|
|Wide Zoom||Enlarges the picture to fill the screen with minimal distortion.||Enlarges the center portion of the 4:3 picture proportionately, while the left and right edges of the screen are stretched to fill the screen.|
|Normal||Displays a 4:3 picture in its original aspect ratio when the original source is 4:3 (available for 480i or 480p sources).||Displays the 4:3 picture in its original size with black bars at the left and right sides to fill the screen (available for 480i or 480p sources).|
|Full||Displays the picture at its original size.||Stretches the entire 4:3 picture horizontally only to fill the screen.|
|Zoom||Enlarges the picture proportionately, both vertically and horizontally.||Enlarges the entire 4:3 picture proportionately to fill the screen (useful for watching Letterbox movies).|
Automatically changes screen settings base upon incoming video signal and content.
Picture Adjustments: The TV's picture adjustments can be made for a particular A/V input or for all inputs. You can also lock the television's picture adjustments to prevent the TV's Picture Settings from being changed.
- Picture Mode: You can select one of the following
- Standard: Displays a standard picture for typical viewing environments.
- Vivid: Enhances picture contrast and sharpness.
- Custom: Allows you to store your preferred settings for Backlight, Picture, Brightness, Color, Hue, Sharpness, and Color Temperature.
- Advanced Video Settings: In addition to the Picture
mode, the Advanced Video Settings menu also features the following:
- Auto Light Limiter: Reduces glare such as in scenes where the entire screen is white.
- LED Dynamic Control: Optimizes contrast by adjusting brightness in individual sections of the screen.
- Black Corrector: Enhances black areas of the picture for stronger contrast. The Black Corrector can be set to High, Medium, Low, or Off.
- Resolution: The Resolution function adjusts detail and clarity of the picture.
- Detail Enhancer: Enhances the details of the picture.
- Edge Enhancer: Enhances the edges of the picture.
- Skin Naturalizer: Makes the texture of the skin smoother (available for USB and Media server content). It can be set to High, Medium, Low, or Off.
- Smooth Gradation: Creates smooth gradations on flat surfaces of the picture.
- Gamma: Adjusts the balance between bright and dark areas of the picture.
- Clear White: Emphasizes white and light colors. It can be set to High, Low, or Off.
- Live Color: Makes colors more vivid and reproduces clear skin tones. It can be set to High, Medium, Low, or Off.
- White Balance: Adjusts the color temperature color by color.
- Digital Noise Reduction: The LED-LCD TV provides
Digital Noise Reduction (DNR) to help eliminate noise and create a clear
- Intelligent MPEG Noise Reduction: Dramatically reduces two common problems in compressed video signals - block noise and mosquito noise. The Intelligent "MPEG Noise Reduction" automatically reduces picture noise, such as mosquito noise and/or block noise, in compressed videos. It improves picture quality in Digital broadcast and Blu-ray/DVD players.
- Adaptive Noise Reduction: The TV's Adaptive Noise Reduction automatically reduces picture noise and dot noise around objects on the screen.
- Pro Picture Setup: The Pro Picture Setup menu allows
for Color Matrix and HDMI adjustments.
- Color Matrix: Reproduces the color-difference signals. It is recommended to leave this at the factory default setting.
- HDMI Dynamic Range: Produces natural color by changing the luminance tone reproduction of HDMI input color signals.
- CineMotion: This function provides improved picture movement and reduces picture blur and graininess for film-based content.
PIP & PAP: The Sony LED-LCD TV offers PIP (picture in picture) and PAP (picture and picture).
- PIP (Picture in Picture): Picture-in-Picture displays an image from a connected PC (via HDMI) in full-screen and a TV program or external analog input in an inset window. You can swap audio between the main and sub window. You can also change the channel of the sub window. You cannot view another HDMI source in the inset window.
- PAP (Picture and Picture): This feature lets you watch two pictures simultaneously. You can view an image from the component video or HDMI inputs in the main window and a TV program or external analog input in the sub window. You can switch audio between the two images.
S-Force Front Surround: S-FORCE Front Surround provides a virtual surround experience made possible using just two front speakers. S-Force Front Surround simulates 5.1ch surround sound, with an enlarged sweet spot that everyone in the room can enjoy. You can active a 3D mode to generate a virtual three-dimensional sound effect to match your 3D video.
Sound Position: The speakers of this TV provide different sound images according to how you position the television. You can select between "Table-Top Stand" or "Wall Mount/Floor Stand" to provide the best sound quality based on the television's placement.
Preset Sound Modes + 7-Band EQ: The TV offers five preset sound modes (Standard, Music, Cinema, Game, Sports). The TV is also equipped with a 7-band EQ (100Hz, 200Hz, 500Hz, 1kHz, 2kHz, 5kHz, 10kHz). You can adjust the level of each band between -12 to +12 dB.
Advanced Audio Settings: The TV offers additional audio adjustments to enhance the television's sound.
- Sound Enhancer: The Sound Enhancer reproduces clear sound by complementing high-frequency bands.
- Sound Booster: The Sound Booster enhances both treble & bass in order to reproduce a more dynamic sound.
- Voice Zoom: Makes voice clearer by lowering background sound.
- Volume Offset: Adjusts the volume level of the current input relative to other inputs.
- Advanced Auto Volume: The Advanced Auto Volume function keeps the volume level constant across all programs and advertisements.
ARC (Audio Return Channel): The Audio Return Channel in HDMI 1.4 enables a TV, via a single HDMI cable, to send audio data "upstream" to an A/V receiver; increasing user flexibility and eliminating the need for any separate S/PDIF audio connection. This feature allows audio to be sent from the television to your A/V receiver through the same HDMI cable already being used to send audio/video to the television. This eliminates the need for extra cables connected to the TV. ARC allows audio from the TV tuner, Network connection, inserted USB device, HDMI inputs, or any analog connected device to be heard through your ARC compatible AV receiver via the television's HDMI ARC input. The audio from the TV's tuner, network connection, and USB input can pass as Dolby Digital or 2ch PCM. HDMI and analog connected devices will be output as 2ch PCM only.
Note: Both the television and the receiver must support ARC for this function to work properly. When connecting an A/V receiver that is compatible with Audio Return Channel (ARC), connect it to the TV's HDMI IN 1 port. If connecting a system that is incompatible Audio Return Channel (ARC), an additional audio connection via Digital Audio Out (Optical) is necessary.
Audio Outputs: The Sony HDTV offers analog and digital audio outputs.
- Headphone/Analog Output: The TV's 3.5mm analog output can be used to connect a set of headphones or as an audio output to connect your home theater receiver or soundbar system. You will need a minijack-to-RCA adapter (sold separately) to make a stereo RCA connection between the television and your AV receiver. The TV's analog audio output terminal will output 2ch audio from any of the television's source inputs. You can set the TV's analog output to Fixed or Variable. You can set the TV to automatically mute the built-in speakers when a set of headphones are connected.
- Digital Audio Output: An optical digital output is provided to allow you to connect the unit to a surround processor. The TV's digital audio output terminal outputs a Dolby Digital or 2-channel down-mixed PCM signal for use with an external Dolby Digital decoder or other external audio system with an optical audio input. The TV's optical digital terminal will output audio from the television's antenna, HDMI, and RCA inputs. The digital optical output terminal only sends an audio signal in Dolby Digital when receiving Dolby Digital surround sound from the TV's built-in tuner, network connection, or connected USB device. The optical digital audio output will only output in 2ch stereo from sources connected to the TV via HDMI, or RCA.
Wired or Wireless Network Connection: The Sony KDL-W900A series LED-LCD TV supports a wired or wireless network connection. Via the TV's network connection your can enjoy music, video, and still-image files stored on your computer. You can also listen to internet radio and watch online movies, via the Bravia Entertainment Network.
- Ethernet (LAN) Jack: The Sony KDL-W900A series LED-LCD TV is equipped with an Ethernet (LAN) RJ-45 jack for connecting the television to your home network and computer.
- WiFi (wireless LAN): The Sony TV offers built-in WiFi that allows you to wirelessly access the Internet and your home network. The TV's built-in WiFi provides a wireless network connection for the television with easy and quick setup. With this feature, you can easily connect to a wireless LAN and enjoy the benefits of networking in a cable-free environment. A wireless connection requires a home network with an 802.11 access point (802.11n recommended) and internet connection. Supports WPS, WEP, and WPA security.
WiFi Direct: When using WiFi Direct, you can connect directly with other devices without using a wireless router. You'll be able to wirelessly transfer personal content (such as photos & videos) to the Sony LED-LCD TV without connecting to your home network. WiFi Direct completely bypasses your WiFi access point/router, so it's easy to set up. Streaming of copy-protected content and other certain formats are not supported.
DLNA Certified: DLNA certification allows you to enjoy various content from your home network, such as photo (JPEG), music (MP3/WMA/LPCM), and video (AVCHD/MPEG/WMV) files stored on your Windows 7/8 PC (or other DLNA Certified media server) on the Sony HDTV. The TV can be connected to your compatible PC using a hardwired Ethernet (LAN) connection or Wi-Fi connection (via built-in WiFi). This eliminates the need to copy your photo, video, and music files to a separate USB storage device.
Sony Entertainment Network: Once the TV has been connected to your home network, you can have your favorite internet content delivered to the Sony LED-LCD TV screen via Bravia Internet Video, Opera TV Store, or the built-in web browser. You can stream movies, videos, music, and more with Bravia Internet Video; while the built-in web-browser lets you search on-line content by URL. The Opera TV Store lets you download additional apps. Click here for a full list of Sony Entertainment Network content.
- Bravia Internet Video: Bravia Internet Video serves as a gateway to online audio/video content, delivering a variety of on-demand entertainment straight to the Sony TV. Bravia Internet TV allows you to instantly stream a wide variety of movies, TV episodes, videos, and music from a large selection of entertainment apps. You'll be able to enjoy some of the web's most popular online movie services; Netflix(5.1ch), Hulu Plus, Video Unlimited, CinemaNow, Amazon Instant Video, YouTube, and more. You can also listen to select music services offered on the internet with this receiver. You'll be able to enjoy some of the web's most popular internet radio services; Pandora, Music Unlimited, Slacker, NPR, and more.
- Opera TV Store: The Opera TV Store provides a collection of additional downloadable web apps that are optimized for TV viewing. These apps range from videos (viewster), weather (AccuWeather), news (Associate Press), social networks (Facebook/Twitter), photo albums (Flickr), games, and more.
- Opera Internet Browser: The built-in Opera Internet Browser allows you to access select web content through the Sony LED-LCD TV. Using the Opera Internet Browser, you gain access to Sony.com and Gracenote Music Services. The built-in internet browser also allows you to enter URLs and do basic keyword searches, so you can browse other select websites (text-based only). The Opera Internet Browser is not a full search engine for the Internet and Web. For Internet audio/video/photo content, use Sony's Bravia Internet Video service. Some web-pages maybe too large for download.
Note: Bravia Entertainment Network content requires a home network with a connection speed of at least 2.5 Mbps recommended (10 Mbps for HD content). Video quality and picture size vary and are dependent upon broadband speed and delivery by content provider. Online content may require additional fees and/or PC registration. Available online content may change without notice.
Skype Ready: You can enjoy free high-definition Skype-to-Skype video calls from the comfort of your living room through this Sony TV. Simply attach the Sony compact microphone/camera (158CBR100, sold separately) and see your friends on the big screen. Or, you can use your MHL-connected mobile phone as your camera.
Miracast Technology: Miracast is a "screen mirroring" function which lets you view the screen of your WiFi-enabled Android smart phone or tablet (with support for Miracast) on the Sony LED-LCD TV.
Triple USB Ports: The Sony LED-LCD TV features three USB (type-A) ports for sharing your photos (JPEG) or videos (MPEG/H.264/XviD/WMV9), and listening to music (MP3/WMA) from your connected digital camera, USB-enabled MP3 player, or other USB storage device. You USB-connected device must USB mass storage class compliant and be formatted in FAT 16/32.
- Photo Playback Auto Start: The TV automatically displays the thumbnail view screen when the TV is turned on and a digital still camera or other USB device storing photo files is connected to the TV's USB port.
- Photo Frame: You can enjoy looking at a photo, listening to music, and viewing the clock/calendar at the same time. To prevent any type of burn-in, the position of the photo, clock, and calendar are switched automatically every hour. The TV will automatically shut off after 1, 2, 4, or 24 hours of Photo Frame mode.
Content Search: The TV offers unique ways to search and access your favorite and new content from the TV's tuner and network apps.
- Favorites: The Favorites function makes it easy to quickly access your favorite TV content. The Favorites menu manages your preferred TV channels, external inputs, media files, Internet content, and widgets for quick and easy access. The Favorites feature provides quick access to your frequently used items, such as preferred TV channels or external inputs. In addition, your favorite media files, and Internet applications can be shown in the Favorites screen.
- Keyword Search: You can type in a keyword to search for TV shows, movies, and music. Simply enter in the track title, album name, or movie title.
- Content Information Search: This feature searches for information about the TV program you are watching, or the currently playing music title/artist name on your TV, from an Internet database.
- Related Search: When the TV is connected to the Internet, you can search for related content while watching various content on the TV.
- History: This feature displays the last five sources you have selected from TV, external inputs, network apps, media server, and USB.
Scene Select: You can access the following Scene Select modes from the remote control to optimize both picture and sound quality.
- Auto: Automatically optimizes picture and sound quality according to the input source.
- General: Optimizes picture and sound quality for general content.
- Cinema: Delivers picture scenes and sound just like those in a theater.
- Sports: Presents realistic pictures and sound just like those in a stadium.
- Animation: Lets you enjoy watching an animation with superb picture and sound quality.
- Photo: Reproduces the texture and color of a printed photo.
- Music: Lets you experience dynamic and clear sound just like a concert.
- Game: Broadens your game-playing experience with superb picture and sound quality.
- Graphics: Eases prolonged monitor viewing with clearer detailed pictures.
Input/Channel Label: You can assign an icon or name to an external input and connected equipment, as well as edit channel labels to your preference.
Close Captions (CC): The Sony televisions provides Analog Closed Captions and Digital Closed Captions. The Digital CC offers customizable text, font, and size.
ENERGY STAR Certified: This Sony LED-LCD TV exceeds ENERGY STAR requirements by incorporating advanced power saving features such as Light Sensor Technology, Advance Contrast Enhancer, and the following Power Management functions.
- Power Saving: This feature reduces the power consumption by adjusting the backlight brightness of the TV's screen. You can select from Low, High, Off and Picture Off.
- Idle TV Standby: Automatically powers off the TV after 1, 2, or 4 hours when no buttons are pressed on the remote control or the TV.
- Auto Shut Off: Automatically powers off the TV when no input signal is detected for approximately 15 minutes.
Timers: The Sony LED-LCD TV offers On and Sleep timers.
- TV Timer: The TV Timer turns on the television from the standby mode at a time you set, and tunes to a channel or input of your preference.
- Sleep Timer: The sleep timer switches the television off after a specified amount of time. The sleep timer can be set to 15, 30, 45, 60, 90, or 120 minutes.
Parental Control: You can select a viewing limitation based on the TV and movie ratings. Three presets are available (Child, Youth, and Young Adult) or the limitation can be customized to specific industry ratings. You can also block specific channels. The control is accessed and protected by a 4-digit password. You can also block certain channels or inputs regardless of program ratings.
i-Manual: The Sony TV comes with a Quick Setup Guide booklet. The TV's full owner's manual can be accessed on the TV using the remote's i-Manual button.
Automatic Software Updates: Automatic software updates are done through the TV's Ethernet (LAN) port or built-in WiFi. The TV's software updates when the television is in standby mode. The tested TV contained software version PKG3.008AAA (as of 7/4/2013). Visit the Sony eSupport site for the latest software updates.
Dual Wireless Remote Controls: The TV comes supplied with an IR remote control and RF remote control for wireless operation of the television. The remotes are designed for TV operation only, unless used with Bravia Sync AV components connected by HDMI. The IR remote offers a dedicated Netflix button to instantly access your Netflix account on the Sony TV and a numeric keypad. The RF remote control provides an on-screen numeric keypad.
Bravia Sync: This TV is equipped with Bravia Sync, an HDMI Control function that allows communication between Sony TVs and other Sony equipment when they are connected via HDMI. Bravia Sync helps you connect compatible Sony Bravia HDMI equipment, such as a BD player or AV amplifier, to the TV and control the external equipment using the television's remote control. With the "Control for HDMI" function, Bravia Sync helps to communicate with Bravia Sync-compatible equipment using HDMI CEC (Consumer Electronics Control). Bravia Sync-compatible equipment is listed as a new input source in the television's menu. The television offers the following Bravia Sync operations for the listed device.
- BD/DVD Player:
- Automatically turns the "Bravia" Sync-compatible equipment on and switches the input to that equipment when you select it from the Home Menu or Sync Menu.
- Automatically turns the TV on and switches the input to the connected equipment when the equipment starts to play.
- Automatically turns the connected equipment off when you switch the TV to standby mode.
- AV Amplifier:
- Automatically turns the connected AV amplifier on and switches the sound output from the TV speaker to the audio system when you turn the TV on. This function is only available if you have previously used the AV amplifier to output TV sound.
- Automatically switches the sound output to the AV amplifier by turning the AV amplifier on when the TV is turned on.
- Automatically turns the connected AV amplifier off when you switch the TV to standby mode.
- Adjusts the volume (VOL +/-) and mutes the sound (MUTING) of the connected AV amplifier through the TV's remote control.
- Video Camera:
- Automatically turns the TV on and switches the input to the connected video camera when the connected video camera is turned on.
- Automatically turns the connected video camera off when you switch the TV to standby mode.
Note: Control for HDMI (Bravia Sync) is only available for the connected Sony equipment that has the Bravia Sync logo.
TV SideView Remote App: With the free Sony TV SideView App, you can control the Sony KDL-W900A series TV and browse its content from your Apple iPod touch/iPhone/iPad (5.0+) or Android smartphone/tablet (2.2+). Simply download the this app from the iTunes App Store or Google Play Store onto your compatible device. The TV SideView App will allow your compatible Apple iOS or Android device to act as a remote control and software keyboard for the Sony LED-LCD TV. You'll be able to search what's available to watch on broadcast stations and video on-demand apps. You can even pull up the TV's channel guide on your smartphone or tablet without interfering with the what you're watching on the TV. You also get to learn more about the show you're watching right now, like cast and episode details. In addition, you can tweet about what you're watching from your mobile device or see what fellow fans are tweeting about in real time. You'll also be able to stream your videos, pictures, and music stored on your Apple iOS/Android device to the TV.
USB Keyboard/Mouse Compatible: You can connect a USB-enabled keyboard and mouse (both sold separately) to the television for easier web browsing. You can move the cursor with the USB mouse and enter text with the USB keyboard. Not all web-based apps support keyboard/mouse control.
Serial/IR Ports: You can connect the 3.5mm serial and IR ports to an external control device (such as a computer or A/V control system) to control the TV's functions externally.
Tabletop Stand: The Sony television comes supplied with a tabletop pedestal stand which must be attached using the supplied hardware. The table-top stand allows the TV to swivel left or right 15-degrees. The television weighs 48.5 lbs with the stand attached.
Optional Wall Mount Brackets: The television can be wall mounted using an optional wall-mount bracket (sold separately). The TV has 4 threaded screw holes with a spacing of 300mm (h) x 300mm (v). The screw holes accept M6 (6mm) screws. The TV weighs 43.4 lbs without the stand.
Note: When mounting the TV on the stand or a wall (with optional bracket) leave 4" of clearance on each side of the television and 11.875" above the television for adequate ventilation.
Attached AC Power Cord: The television if fitted with an attached 5' AC power cord which is terminated by a straight two-prong AC plug. The AC plug sits 1.5" from the wall.
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.
4 questions already asked
I have not noticed the screen being reflective at all. My living room can get really bright with the afternoon sun. As far as the dark screens go, I can't tell any difference whether it's bright in the mid day/afternoon or at night. Great picture regardless the situation!! [ WILLIAM Mar 12, 2014 ]
Yes it is, you must be a ware of the lighting ,so just keep that in mind,as in all TV's as big as this is it can be a problem not with Sony but all big screens. [ GARY . Mar 11, 2014 ]
No. I honestly don't have any reflection in bright rooms. And dark screens look good in bright room. Its a good tv overall. I'am very happy with my purchase. [ EDWIN Mar 11, 2014 ]
Its not to reflective if the light is off to the side. However any lights that are directly behind it do reflect. The overall picture quality is amazing whether the room is light or dark. [ MATT Mar 11, 2014 ]
I have it in my great room and occasionally it gets direct sunlight on the screen. It still shows the picture well, even though this isn't an optimal setup. The colors are bright and much more realistic as compared to a Samsung. Hope this helps. I love this TV! [ ROBERT Mar 11, 2014 ]
Dark scenes, not screens... [ Russ Mar 10, 2014 ]
The picture is still clear; no distortion. [ Thomas Mar 07, 2014 ]
Hi Michael, Thank you for taking the time to check this for me. Most of our seating will view the tv at better angles, but I was trying to get info for the closest seats on our sofas flanking the tv. [ Kathy Mar 07, 2014 ]
Dear David, Thank you for taking the time to check for me. [ Kathy Mar 07, 2014 ]
Thanks, Corey! That's what I wanted to hear! [ Kathy Mar 07, 2014 ]
Thanks for your thoughts. [ Kathy Mar 07, 2014 ]
The view is great from the side. There's no glare or blur. The closer you are, the better the picture. I absolutely love this TV!!! Whether you are 2 -feet or 20-feet away, the picture is awesome.... [ WILLIAM Mar 07, 2014 ]
Kathy L: Although I don't usually sit that close or view at that angle, I did evaluate your specifics. Viewing straight-on, whether at 2 ft. or 22 ft., the LED picture quality is superb and does not degrade. Viewing at a 45 degree angle at 2-3 feet, picture quality remains the same with no degradation. Realize, of course, that at that close distance and angle, your visual challenge is taking-in the perspective of the 48 inch wide screen. Great picture without going to 4K. [ VICTOR J Mar 07, 2014 ]
The picture quality is excellent and remains consistent at all angles and distances. I have a large living room and am able to view the tv from anywhere without experiencing any dimming or loss of picture quality. [ COREY J Mar 07, 2014 ]
This television has an outstanding picture when viewed at a minimum distance of 8-9 feet. Looking at the picture from the side at 2-3 feet is irrelevant as no television in this size is meant to be viewed at that distance and angle. So the answer to your question whether it was this television or any other would be unacceptable. After extensive research spanning several months I purchased this television and I can say it was the right choice.. The picture quality is superior out of the box, the internet is fast and watching 24 on Netflix is crystal clear. What is unique about the picture is a feeling of depth in the picture unlike many televisions where the picture is flat. Go to the sony store. Look at the 4K then look at this television. I believe that will answer many of your questions. [ DENNIS E Mar 07, 2014 ]
Kind of a hard question, but I will try to answer it. I think it's better than normal. All tv's will lose a little clarity when viewing from the side. I don't notice much of a diminished picture from the side. Also, only being 2 feet away from a 55 inch tv is definitely not the optimum viewing distance! At that distance the resolution may appear to be blurry. Hope this helps. [ David Mar 07, 2014 ]
My unscientific eyeball test says out to about 45 degrees everything is great. Beyond that the colors begin to change subtlety, e.g. a white shirt will take on a little reddish hue. It's a slight change, so depending on what you are watching even that may not be noticeable. This is an incredible TV with great image quality. Hope this helps. [ Guest Mar 07, 2014 ]
I've been impressed with the crispness and clarity of the HD picture. The TV seems to have no problem following fast action in sports and movies. I noticed no blurring when binge-viewing The Avengers and Iron Man 3 recently and similarly found the picture excellent and blur-free for the NFC Championship game. In the latter case, a fine picture but a not so fine result. [ KENNETH D Jan 23, 2014 ]
This tv is excellent for sports and movies. I have only had it for a few weeks but I have not noticed any blurring while watching fast paced TV. [ Jonathan Jan 16, 2014 ]
Bill B Good question, just watched Denver Game Sunday and didn't see any problems!! matter of fact you get so involved in the game and the picture is so out of this world I have never even through about it. [ GARY . Jan 16, 2014 ]
No blurs. The TV is fantastic. Where it shines in in it's color reproduction. Doing a side-by-side comparison in a local store (before buying from Crutchfield) all other TVs looked washed out, even the Samsung (my second choice). [ Jerre Jan 16, 2014 ]
I have notice blurs occasionally will college football. I haven't notice it with profootball so far. [ ROBERT V. Jan 16, 2014 ]
I watched hours of college football during bowl season, as well as a few movies. I've seen no evidence of blurring or anything else regarding hi-speed coverage. I know there are a few options for settings for this, but mine is still set to "standard." [ J BRADLEY Jan 16, 2014 ]
I have all of the motion enhancements turned off (check out the CNet review for a good baseline of settings for this TV) and have not noticed anything upsetting. We've watched sports, movies and standard television broadcasting, and the set does a great job. [ Daniel Jan 16, 2014 ]
I am not a huge sports fan, so I can't answer this question. I have not seen any blurs on fast action items. [ Sophie Jan 16, 2014 ]
The remote is super easy. Just press the "home" button, use the arrow buttons to select "applications," then pick from your choices. Amazon, Hulu, Netflix, etc will all be there. Have fun! [ Eric Dec 31, 2013 ]
We just got our tv and are just thrilled with it. Beautiful picture and menu options are very easy to set and change etc. our other Sony is not a smart tv so we have to maneuver thru the tv settings and our blue ray player in order to access Netflix and the other viewing options (amazon, etc). This new Sony has everything accessible thru itself and not an additional component. Hooking up to our wifi was very easy. We especially like that the screen is all picture and doesn't have the 3" border all the way around like our 52" Samsung does. This Sony is well worth the price even without the current discount. Thanks. [ Tom Dec 31, 2013 ]
Thanks, Richard [ Mary Dec 31, 2013 ]
Thanks, Thomas [ Mary Dec 31, 2013 ]
Thanks, Henry [ Mary Dec 31, 2013 ]
Press the HOME key Select the APPLICATIONS menu item Select the application very easy [ Thomas Dec 30, 2013 ]
I had heard the same thing, turns out to be no problem at all, in my opinion anyway. I think what people talk about is the way you enter the initial information (I.e.: account information), this isn't hard at all but I can see how people used to a keyboard would say that. So, don't worry it's pretty easy and after the initial account setup there's nothing to it.. You can get to the applications in two key presses then just scroll over. Netflix has its own button so press it and done. Hope this helps. [ Richard Dec 30, 2013 ]
Actually, it's a relatively straightforward process to use the Sony remote. First you have to connect the TV to your home network. The remote has a Sony Entertainment Network (labeled SEN) button. Once you select SEN, the apps appear on your screen in a grid fashion. Using the directional controls on your remote, you move through the apps and hit select (center of the circle) to choose the highlighted app. That's it from the TV end. Some of the apps (Amazon for example) require login information. I was able to establish a link to watch Amazon prime on my TV -- not too difficult -- just a little tedious.The TV remote is a lot more user friendlier than the PS3 controller. (By the way -- I have a PS3 and invested in a TV-like remote for the PS3 for when I watch BluRays.) [ HENRY Dec 30, 2013 ]
It's very, very easy. In fact, I think my mother could do it! Pull up main menu, go to "Apps", then select the app you wish to use using the controller. The tv comes with 2 controllers - one of them is a simplified version of the other. I typically only use the simplified one myself. VERY EASY. [ David Dec 30, 2013 ]