60" Smart LED 4K Ultra HD TV with HDR (2018 model)
Crutchfield: How to Unbox a Sony TV
Our take on the Sony XBR-60X830F by Crutchfield's Steve Kindig
A "tweener" TV loaded with performance and smarts
The XBR-60X830F is the lone 60" model in Sony's 2018 4K TV lineup. It's a great option if you don't quite have room for a 65". It's a mid-priced TV, but it delivers the smooth, filmlike picture quality that Sony is famous for.
The real ace up Sony's sleeve is their video processing. With 4K TVs, the processing is as important as the panel, because most content isn't 4K and must be upconverted by the TV. The XBR-60X830F is extremely good at removing the noise from lower-resolution or streamed content, then upconverting it to 4K.
This TV uses an IPS panel, which provides the typical trade-off for IPS: wider viewing angles than with typical LCD TVs, but with picture contrast and black levels that are just so-so. It makes this TV a better choice for a bright room than a dark one.
Everything looks better on a 4K TV
The XBR-60X830F combines 4K resolution with HDR (High Dynamic Range). You'll find that nearly all Ultra HD Blu-ray titles are encoded with HDR, as well as most of the recently released 4K content from streaming services like Netflix® and Amazon Instant Video.
But you don't need 4K content to enjoy a thrilling picture on a the XBR-60X830F. Based on ten years' experience upscaling movies to 4K in movie theaters around the world, Sony has developed a processor so advanced it can upscale HD content to near-4K quality. This 4K X-Reality™ PRO chip visibly improves detail and color on everything from Blu-ray discs to video games to streamed movies and shows.
Sony's Motionflow™ XR 960 with 120Hz refresh rate is one of the most advanced blur-reduction technologies around. If you love watching sports, this set keeps even fast action looking clean and clear.
Use your words with voice search
The '60X830F's remote has a built-in microphone that makes it easy to search for a particular movie or actor just by saying the name. You can ask the built-in Google Assistant to adjust the volume, change channels or inputs, and control other basic TV functions. You can also use it to get answers to everyday questions, control connected smart home devices, and do other voice control tricks with your favorite Google Home- or Alexa-compatible voice control assistant.
The TV's built-in Android operating system lets you easily log in to your Google ID to access a huge collection of apps, games and content from Google Play. Use the Chromecast Built-in feature to stream movies, pictures, and TV shows from your iOS or Android-based phone, or from a laptop.
Use the Sanus MountFinder™ to see a list of wall-mounts that work with your specific TV.
- 60.1" screen (measured diagonally)
- Ultra High Definition TV with 4K screen resolution (3840 x 2160 pixels)
- Motionflow™ XR 960 blur reduction (120Hz refresh rate)
- High Dynamic Range (HDR 10 and HLG) for extended picture contrast and brightness when viewing HDR content from connected sources or streamed from the TV's built-in apps
- direct-lit LED backlighting with frame dimming
- IPS (In-Plane Switching) LCD panel for better off-angle viewing
- 4K HDR Processor X1™ and 4K X-Reality™ PRO upscaler ensure a clean, clear picture with all video sources
- TRILUMINOS™ Display technology for a wider color range
Video Source Compatibility:
- watch streamed 4K video sources like Netflix®, Amazon Instant Video, and YouTube (requires internet speed of at least 20Mbps)
- built-in tuner receives over-the-air HDTV broadcasts (antenna required)
- Clear QAM tuner decodes unencrypted digital cable signals up to 1080i without a set-top box (subscription required to receive cable channels)
Smart TV Features:
- Android TV™ with Chromecast Built-in lets you cast your favorite entertainment apps and video content from your Android™ or iOS® device, or laptop
- Netflix Recommended TV offers a unique feature set that makes Netflix even easier to use and enjoy
- dual-band 802.11ac Wi-Fi® provides fast, reliable wireless streaming
- mobile-to-TV wireless mirroring with Miracast™ enabled phones and tablets
- free downloadable apps for iOS® and Android™ let you use a compatible smartphone or tablet as a remote control
- 4 HDMI 2.0a
- 1 component video (selectable component/composite)
- RF input for antenna/cable signals
- optical digital audio output (can pass Dolby® Digital/DTS multichannel or 2-channel audio from connected sources)
- stereo minijack headphone output can also be connected to a sound bar or other audio system
- Ethernet port for a fast, reliable wired network connection
- 3 USB inputs for connecting a thumb drive or other device
- built-in down-firing speakers (10 watts x 2)
- Bluetooth® wireless audio streaming to a compatible speaker or set of headphones
- you can set up the TV to output sound from Bluetooth, the built-in speakers, and the headphone output at the same time
- Voice Remote with built-in microphone
- supports voice control of compatible apps:
- detachable dual-footer stand ("footprint" is 44-3/8"W x 12-1/2"D)
- wall-mountable (bracket not included)
- 53-5/8"W x 31-1/8"H x 3-1/8"D (33-5/8"H x 12-1/2"D on stand)
- weight: 45.9 lbs. with stand; 43.7 lbs. without stand
- warranty: 1 year parts & labor in-home service or pick-up for service
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
Features and Specs
Frequently Compared With
60" Smart LED 4K Ultra HD TV with HDR (2018 model)$1,699.99
55" Smart LED 4K Ultra HD TV with HDR (2018 model)
65" Smart LED 4K Ultra HD TV with HDR (2018 model)
65" Smart LED 4K Ultra HD TV with HDR (2018 model)