Why Choose Crutchfield?
Great gear and expert advice
Our experts help you pick the ideal gear for your needs.Meet our advisors
Free tech support for the life of your gear.Read about our one-on-one expert help
You may return items that are complete and like new for any reason within 60 days.See the details of our return policy
Earn one point for every dollar you spend and use those points to save on future purchases.Get full details on Crutchfield Rewards
Deep discounts on car installation gear
We offer vehicle-specific installation instructions, dash kits, wiring harnesses, and speaker accessories at deeply discounted prices with car stereo and speaker purchases. Available for most vehicles.Learn more
Trusted since 1974
Our customers have trusted us with their business, and they’ve helped us win awards for our service.Check out our most recent awards
The manufacturer’s warranty always applies.See more details
Sony Alpha SLT-A99V (no lens included)
24.3-megapixel full-frame sensor digital SLR camera body
Watch a product review
Crutchfield: Sony Full-Frame Cameras
Crutchfield: Sony Alpha A-Mount Cameras
From Sony: Alpha SLTA99V
Item # 158A99V | MFR # SLTA99V
This item is no longer available.
Our take on the Sony Alpha SLT-A99V (no lens included) by Crutchfield's Woody Sherman
It's a chameleon
A full-frame DSLR that pushes the still photography envelope and is infused with Sony's decades of knowledge and experience making some of the world's best broadcast video cameras? Good choice, checking out this page, because the Alpha SLT-A99V is one of Sony's most intriguing digital imaging offerings to date.
Full-frame lushness, in motion
Most all photo enthusiasts would be excited by this announcement of a new full-frame DSLR, of course. The full-frame look is gorgeous, lush, and malleable in an artist's hands. The 'A99V does not disappoint, offering tools and technology that enhance its versatility for almost any photographic challenge. But Sony has taken things a step further, welcoming aspiring filmmakers to the fold with features that spring from Sony's long history with the worlds of broadcast video and electronic cinematography.
Video without compromise
Sony's been offering low-compression, high-quality 1080/60p video on most of its top cameras for a while now, making it possible for you to capture great video to SD cards and Memory Stick® media. But it's important to note that they've now enabled uncompressed video capture via the on-board HDMI interface, making it possible to route that signal to external solid-state recording devices at frame rates of 60p, 60i, and 24p. In combination with the aforementioned full-frame "look," you'll be able to get moving imagery that's really...moving.
Uncompressed signals mean you'll be able to generate content that rivals the best quality the broadcasters have to offer. What better way to stand out from the film school pack, or have your work recognized at the next film festival you enter? Oh...not to mention, your family vacations will look awesome, too.
Still photo features shine
Traditional still photography takes on a new dimension with full-frame on the 'A99V. In addition to the features you've come to expect on Sony Alpha DSLR's things like fast continuous shooting, full-time continuous autofocus (even while shooting video), auto HDR for amazing dynamic range the 'A99V has some exciting new features. There's a new Dual autofocus system that combines the image sensor's 19 traditional AF points with a 102-point phase-detection autofocus sensor. This means improved focus tracking in low light, and better detection of changes in depth and direction. The Quick Navi Pro feature enhances your ability to find settings in a hurry. And the new Multi-Interface Shoe enables you to use many accessories from the Sony video Handycam® family, like microphones and video lights, in addition to the flash units you'd expect to use in that location.
Of course, the Sony Alpha SLT-A99V has suggestions for you if you're feeling uninspired. Auto Portrait Framing mode will detect when you take a photo of a person, and save a second copy of your image, cropped with the rule of thirds applied, in either portrait or landscape orientation. And there are 13 creative finishing styles for processing your images, including "Vivid," "Night Scene," and "Autumn Leaves."
This camera is expensive, but is one ove the best full frame cameras on the market. It's video can not be beat. Crutchfield is the place to buy your sony product!
TK, Cave Creek, AZ
What's in the Box:
- Digital camera body (black) with installed body cap and accessory shoe cover
- NP-FM500H Rechargeable Lithium-Ion battery (7.2V/1600mAh)
- BC-VM10 battery charger (8.4V/750mA)
- Accessory shoe adapter with attached terminal cover
- 43" USB cable (with Type A USB on one end and Mini-B 2.0 USB on other end)
- Adjustable neck strap
- Application Software CD-ROM
- Instruction Manual (Eng)
- Instruction Manual (Fren/Ital)
- Limited Warranty sheet (US and Canada)
- Product registration sheet
- Warning sheet regarding touching mirror
- 24.3-megapixel effective recording
- full-frame HD Exmor CMOS image sensor (35.8 X 23.9 mm) for superior low-noise and low-light image performance
- doubles as a world-class electronic cinematography camera, featuring high-quality 1080/60p/60i/24p HD modes with full-time autofocus
- uncompressed HDMI output
- GPS-enabled for geo-tagging photos
- built-in sensor-shift SteadyShot INSIDE image stabilization (provides image stabilization with all attached lenses)
- upgraded Sony BIONZ image processor for accurate, low noise images and responsive shooting
- high-res 3" three-axis articulated LCD screen (1,229,000 dots) with WhiteMagic technology, which greatly improves visibility in bright outdoor situations
- screen tilts, rotates, and swivels for perfect monitoring from any angle
- Tru-Finder OLED electronic viewfinder (2,359,000 dots) with diopter adjustment
- Dual AF uses 19 points (11 cross-type) on the image sensor in combination with a 102-point phase-detection autofocus sensor for sophisticated, intelligent focusing performance
- AF-D continuous autofocus mode detects both depth and side-to-side motion for accurate tracking of fast-moving objects
- Sweep Panorama mode captures expansive landscapes automatically, either horizontally or vertically
- built-in anti-dust technology to keep image sensor clean for spotless photos
- Auto Portrait Framing will sense you're photographing a person and save an additional, optimally framed image in portrait or landscape orientation
- auto High Dynamic Range (HDR) mode takes three exposures in rapid succession and combines them to capture increased shadow and highlight details
- Dynamic Range Optimizer for better shadow and highlight detail in high-contrast shooting conditions
- dual media slots: 1 SD/SDHC/SDXC only, 1 SD and Memory Stick® media
- Multi-Interface Shoe expands hot-shoe utility to Sony Handycam® video accessories like microphones and lights
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- compatible with Sony Alpha, Minolta, and Konica/Minolta A-type bayonet mount autofocus lenses
Exposure Modes and Controls:
- continuous shooting mode: up to 6 frames per second (8 fps in 10MP Tele-Zoom mode) with continuous auto-focus and auto-exposure
- burst mode buffer: JPEG Standard (29 shots), JPEG Fine (24 shots), JPEG Extra Fine (15 shots), RAW (15 shots), RAW+JPEG (12 shots)
- shutter speed range: 30-1/8,000 seconds, bulb
- sensitivity or ISO (film speed equivalent) range: 100-25,600, (100-6,400 in Auto mode)
- program auto, shutter-priority, aperture-priority, manual, auto-advanced, scene, and fully automatic exposure modes
- preset scene modes for accurately exposed images in various shooting environments
File Formats and Storage:
- image storage modes: JPEG, RAW, and RAW+JPEG
- accepts Memory Stick® PRO Duo or SD, SDHC, or SDXC memory cards
Connections and Dimensions:
- high-speed USB 2.0 interface
- mini HDMI output for sharing images on a compatible HDTV (cable not included)
- optional Sony RMT-DSLR2 remote commander available separately
- input for optional external microphone
- output for optional headphones
- 6-1/16"W x 4-7/16"H x 3-3/8"D (without lens)
- weight (body only): 25.9 oz.
- rechargeable NP-FM500H lithium ion battery
- battery charger
- adjustable shoulder strap
- USB cable
- body cap
- multi-interface to auto lock accessory (ADP-MAA), shoe adaptor, and shoe cap
- software CD-ROM
Sony Alpha SLT-A99V (no lens included) Reviews
Average Customer Review(s):
Thanks for submitting your review
Features and Specs
|LCD Screen Size||3"|
|Lens 35mm Equivalent||N/A|
|Sensor Size||35.8 x 23.9 CMOS|
|Image Stabilization||Sensor Shift|
|Highest Resolution||6000 x 4000|
|Video Resolution||1920 x 1080/60p|
|Weight With Battery (ounces)||28.7|
|Parts Warranty||1 Year|
|Labor Warranty||1 Year|
Camera Body Only: The Sony SLT-A99V α (alpha series) DSLR camera is compatible with Sony A-mount lenses. Operation with Minolta/Konica and Minolta lenses has also been confirmed. This product contains the camera body, along with a rechargeable battery, adjustable neck strap, USB cable, and software on CD-ROM. No lenses are included.
Translucent Mirror Technology: The A99V features Translucent Mirror Technology, which directs light to both the image sensor and the Phase Detection AF sensor simultaneously. This allows the camera to focus and capture the image at the same time. Since the mirror never moves, the time needed to raise and lower the mirror is eliminated.
Tiltable 3" LCD Screen: The A99V uses a 3" TFT Xtra Fine LCD screen with 1,228,800 dots. The TruBlack screen has a special resin layer to suppress internal reflections to increase contrast. The brightness of the LCD monitor is automatically adjusted to surrounding lighting conditions for best visibility. The LCD monitor can be tilted upward 150°,downward 180° and rotated 270° for best visibility when shooting at difficult angles.
0.5" OLED Electronic Viewfinder: The 0.5" Tru-Finder OLED electronic color viewfinder has 2,359,296 dots, and provides approximately 100% field of view. The brightness can be manually or automatically adjusted in 3 steps. The built-in diopter lets you adjust the viewfinder image to your individual eyesight. If you're using the electronic viewfinder to frame your shots, the LCD turns off automatically when you bring the camera up to your eyes.
Quick Navi Pro: The A99V gives you instant access to virtually all camera parameter settings with the enhanced new Quick Navi PRO user interface. Using the LCD screen, the Function button, and the 4-way Multi-selector, you can select and change numerous camera settings on the fly. Functions available on the Quick Navi screen include Auto Mode, Scene Selection, Tele-zoom Cont. Priority AE, Select Recording Media, Quality, Steady Shot (still images), Drive Mode, Flash Mode, Focus Mode, AF area, Object Tracking, Smile, Face Detect, Metering Mode, White Balance, DRO, Auto HDR, Creative Style, Picture Effect, Auto Port. Framing, Exposure Comp, Flash Comp, and ISO.
Display Options: You can choose how much information appears in the viewfinder and LCD monitor. There are five options: Graphic Display, Display all information, No display information, Digital Level Gauge, and Histogram. The digital level gauge indicates whether the camera is level in both horizontal and front-to-back directions. The indicators turn green when the camera is level in one of the directions. The histogram displays the luminance distribution that shows how many pixels of a particular brightness exist in the picture.
Live View: The A99V's Live View lets you use the LCD screen and Electronic Viewfinder to frame your photos as you shoot. The Live View image will provide an accurate preview of your photo, including the white balance, focus, depth of field, exposure, and framing. In addition, the on-screen displays will keep you informed on all your settings and recording information.
Top-mounted LCD: The camera features a top-mounted monochrome LCD panel which provides shutter speed, aperture, exposure compensation, flash compensation, ISO sensitivity, white balance, drive mode, and image quality. The display panel has a switchable backlight for better visibility in low light.
Full Frame Image Sensor: The SLT-A99V features a 35mm full-frame Exmor HD CMOS image sensor (35.8 x 23.9mm). It has approximately 24.7-million total pixels and 24.3-million effective pixels. When a DT lens is attached to the camera, the image size is automatically set to that of an APS-C size setting, and the image is smaller.
Still Image Recording Formats: Still images are recorded in JPEG file format in Standard, Fine, and ExtraFine compression rates. You can choose to shoot in 3:2 or 16:9 aspect ratio, and in large, medium, and small image sizes. You can also record still images using the RAW format, which is uncompressed with no processing performed in the camera. RAW images must be transferred to a computer for processing, editing, and printing using the supplied Image Data Converter SR software. You can select the following image sizes:
|35mm Full Frame||APS-C||35mm Full Frame||APS-C|
|Large||20M: 6000 x 3376||8.7M: 3936 x 2216||24M: 6000 x 4000||10M: 3936 x 2624|
|Medium||8.7M: 3936 x 2216||3.9M: 2640 x 1488||10M: 3936 x 2624||4.6M: 2640 x 1760|
|Small||3.9M: 2640 x 1488||1.7M: 1728 x 976||4.6M: 2640 x 1760||2.0M: 1728 x 1152|
|RAW||20M: 6000 x 3376||8.7M: 3936 x 2216||24M: 6000 x 4000||10M: 3936 x 2624|
Panorama Photos: The Sweep Panorama mode lets you record panoramic images by holding down the shutter button as you pan across the scene. Panoramic photos can be taken in several different resolution settings:
- Horizontal: 12416 x 1856 (23M)
- Vertical: 5536 x 2160 (12M)
- Horizontal: 8192 x 1856 (15M)
- Vertical: 3872 x 2160 (8.4M)
Movie Recording Formats: The A99V can record 16:9 Full High Definition movies in AVCHD 2.0 Progressive with MPEG-4 AVC/H.264 video and 2-channel Dolby Digital audio. Movies can also be recorded in MP4 mode with MPEG-4 AVC/H.264 video and MPEG-4 AAC-LC 2-channel audio. You can select from the following bit rates/image quality:
|File Format||Average Bit Rate||Resolution|
|AVCHD 60p 28M (PS)||28 Mbps||1920 x 1080 (60p)|
|AVCHD 60i 24M (FX)||24 Mbps||1920 x 1080 (60i)|
|AVCHD 60i 17M (FH)||17 Mbps||1920 x 1080 (60i)|
|AVCHD 24p 24M (FX)||24 Mbps||1920 x 1080 (24p)|
|AVCHD 24p 17M (FH)||17 Mbps||1920 x 1080 (24p)|
|MP4 HD 1440 x 1080||12 Mbps||1440 x 1080 (30p)|
|MP4 VGA 640 x 480||3 Mbps||640 x 480 (30p)|
Dual Slot Dual Media Options: The A99V camera has two slots for digital media cards, and accepts two types of media for capturing still images. Slot 1 will accept Memory Stick PRO Duo (including Memory Stick PRO-HG Duo), and SD, SDHC, and SDXC Memory Cards, including the new, ultra-high-speed UHS-1 cards. Slot 2 will accept SD cards only. The maximum number of images that can be recorded on a memory card formatted with this camera varies slightly between the two types of media.
SteadyShot INSIDE In-Camera Image Stabilization: The SteadyShot INSIDE in-camera image stabilizer shifts the image sensor to compensate for camera shake without sacrificing image quality. The compensation effect is equal to 2.5 to 3.5 shutter speed steps, giving you more creative freedom when shooting in low light. And, because it is integrated into the camera body, SteadyShot INSIDE technology works with all compatible α (alpha) system lenses.
Eye-Start Auto Focus: The camera features the Eye-Start Auto Focus system, which begins precision auto focus adjustments the moment you raise the camera to your eye. This feature can be turned off in the menu, if desired.
Dual AF System: The A99V's 19-point high-performance auto focus system is complemented by a multi-point focal plane phase detection AF sensor with 102 AF points that overlays the image sensor. You can choose from the following Auto/Manual Focus Modes:
AF (Auto focus) Mode: You can select between 3 modes:
- Single-Shot AF: The camera focuses and the focus is locked when you press the shutter button halfway down.
- Continuous AF: The camera continues to focus while the shutter button is pressed and held halfway down.
- Automatic AF: This mode automatically switches between single-shot AF and continuous AF depending on the movement of the subject.
- Depth Map Assist Continuous AF: After the camera focuses on the subject using the 19 AF areas, the camera uses the 102 AF points to continue to focus on the subject.
- Object Tracking: When Object Tracking is enabled, the camera allows you to select a subject to be tracked while it moves through the frame. The subject remains in focus until you press the shutter release.
- Manual Focus: When it is difficult to get the proper focus in auto focus mode, you can adjust the focus manually. This mode allows you to set the distance of a subject by switching to MF on the lens and rotating the focusing ring to achieve a sharp focus.
Face Detection/Smile Shutter: The camera can detect human faces, and adjusts the focus, exposure, performs image processing and adjusts flash settings for best results. Faces can be registered, and priority given to those faces over others in the frame. Up to 8 faces can be detected and/or registered. When the Smile Shutter feature is enabled, the camera will automatically release the shutter when a slight, normal, or big smile is detected.
Auto Portrait Framing: When taking a photo of a person's face, the Auto Portrait Framing feature analyzes the scene and saves another image of the face with a more impressive composition. Combining Face Detection and By Pixel Super Resolution technology with rule of thirds, Auto Portrait Framing provides beautifully composed and appealingly balanced, full resolution portraits. This feature can be turned off, if desired.
AF Illuminator: When you press the shutter button halfway down a red illuminator is emitted until the focus is locked. Under dark lighting conditions or when you shoot a low contrast subject, the AF illuminator allows the camera to focus more easily on the subject. The AF illuminator has a range of approximately 3.3 to 23 feet.
Drive Modes: The camera offers the following shooting modes:
- Single Shooting: Default setting for standard picture taking.
- Continuous Shooting: When you press and hold the shutter button, the camera records the images continuously. There are two speeds: High (6 fps full frame/7 fps APS-C) and Low (2.5 fps). For faster continuous shooting, you can select Tele-zoom Continuous Priority AE on the Mode Dial, which captures a narrow center area of an image (10 or 8 fps). The maximum number of recordable frames varies by Speed, Image Quality, and Memory Card type.
- Self-Timer: You can set the camera to two different self-timers: 10 second for self photos, 2 second to reduce camera shake.
- Bracket: You can choose from four types of bracketing: Continuous, Single, White Balance, and DRO (Dynamic Range Optimizer).
- Remote Commander: You can shoot still images and movies using the optional RMT-DSLR2 or still images only with the optional RMT-DSLR1.
Exposure Modes: Using the top-mounted Mode Dial, the camera offers the following exposure recording modes:
- Auto: This mode allows easy shooting with settings adjusted automatically.
- Program Auto: This mode allows you to shoot with the exposure adjusted automatically (both the shutter speed and the aperture value). The other settings can be adjusted manually.
- Aperture Priority: This mode allows you to shoot after adjusting the aperture value manually, letting the camera set the appropriate shutter speed.
- Shutter Speed Priority: This mode allows you to shoot after adjusting the shutter speed manually, letting the camera set the appropriate aperture.
- Manual Exposure: This mode allows you to shoot after adjusting the exposure (shutter speed and aperture) manually.
- 1, 2, 3: Lets you recall the three combinations of frequently-used modes and settings stored in Memory.
- Scene Selection: You can select an appropriate mode for the subject or the shooting conditions to allow you to shoot the image with a suitable setting for the subject. Choose from: Portrait, Sports Action, Macro, Landscape, Sunset, Night Scene, Hand-held Twilight, or Night Portrait.
- Sweep Panorama: Shoots expansive scenery or high-rise buildings with dynamic composition.
- Tele-zoom Continuous Priority AE: The camera shoots continuously while the shutter button is pressed fully down. The camera records at a maximum of about 10 or 8 images per second (selectable).
- Movies: Recording movies in Full HD or standard definition in 16:9 or 4:3 aspect ratio with exposure adjusted manually (shutter speed and aperture).
Exposure Compensation: Exposure compensation is used to alter the camera's standard exposure setting. You can make the image look lighter (increased exposure) or darker (decreased exposure). The exposure compensation amount can be set up to +/-5.0 EV in 1/3-step or 1/2-step increments.
AE Lock: You can fix the exposure before deciding on the composition when taking a picture. This is effective when the metering object and focusing object are different or when you want to shoot continuously while keep the same exposure value.
Metering Mode: A 1200-zone evaluative sensing system provides multi-pattern measuring for superior exposure control accuracy in a wide range of lighting conditions. You can select the method for measuring the brightness of a subject from the following three methods:
- Multi Segment: This method uses the whole screen divided into 1200 zones to measure light.
- Center Weighted: While emphasizing the central area of the screen, this method measure the average brightness of the entire screen.
- Spot: This method measure light only in the spot metering circle in the center of the frame.
White Balance: You can adjust the color tones according to the lighting conditions. You can choose from the following WB options, and adjust the +/- 3 to fine tune the colors:
- Auto WB: This mode adjusts the white balance automatically.
- Daylight: This mode adjusts for outdoors and sunlit subjects.
- Shade: This mode adjust for shady conditions on a clear day.
- Cloudy: This mode adjust for a cloudy sky.
- Incandescent: This mode adjusts for incandescent lighting.
- Fluorescent: This mode adjusts for florescent lighting (select Warm white, Cool white, Day white, or Daylight)
- Flash: This mode adjusts for flash conditions.
- Custom: In a scene where the ambient light consists of multiple types of light sources, use of the custom white balance is recommended in order to accurately reproduce the whiteness.
Color Temperature/Color Filter: You can adjust the white balance further by selecting Color Temperature or Color Filter in the Custom White Balance option. With Color Temperature, the higher the number, the more reddish the image, and the lower the number, the more bluish the image. Color Filter achieves the effect of Color Compensation filters for photography. Based on the set color temperature as the standard, the color can be compensated to Green (G) or Magenta (M).
Image Processing (Creative Style): This camera is pre-programmed with image styles optimal for various scenes and purposes. For each setting, you can adjust the contrast, saturation, and sharpness. You can choose from the following settings: Standard, Vivid, Neutral, Clear, Deep, Light, Portrait, Landscape, Sunset, Night Scene, Autumn Leaves, B & W, and Sepia.
Picture Effect: You can select the desired effect filter to achieve more impressive and artistic expression. There are several Picture Effect options, including Toy Camera, Pop Color, Posterization, Retro Photo, Soft High-key, Partial Color, High Contrast Mono, Soft Focus, HDR Painting, Rich-tone Mono, and Miniature.
ISO Settings: ISO is a unit of measurement of sensitivity to light. The larger the number, the higher the sensitivity. The camera's ISO can be set manually (ISO 100-25600) or automatically (with selectable lower and upper limits), depending upon the exposure mode. For movies, sensitivity can be set manually between ISO 100-6400, or automatically between ISO 100-3200.
Flash: The SLT-A99V does not have a built-in flash. The A99V features the newly-developed Multi-Interface Shoe, which allows you to use many of the Sony Handycam accessories such as video lights. For attaching conventional flash units, an ADP-MAA shoe adapter is included. The A99V offers the following flash modes:
- Autoflash: In auto mode the flash automatically fires if it is dark or against light.
- Fill-Flash: In this mode the flash fires every time the shutter is released.
- Slow Sync: Slow sync shooting allows you to shoot a clear image of both the subject and the background by slowing the shutter speed.
- Rear Sync: In rear sync mode, the objects illuminated by other light sources are captured first, then the flash is fired right before the exposure is completed.
- Red-eye Reduction: Reduces the red-eye phenomenon during flash use.
- Wireless: The camera can use the flash light to transmit signal to an external off-camera flash to produce a more three-dimensional image. (Requires optional wireless flash unit such as HVL-F58AM, HVL-F42AM, HVL-F56AM, or HVL-F36AM).
Noise Reduction: The camera offers Long Exposure and High ISO Noise Reduction (NR) to automatically reduce the grainy noise found in photos during long exposures or high ISO settings.
Anti-Dust Technology: Changing lenses on a DSLR can allow dust to enter the camera. To help keep the image sensor cleaner for better pictures, the A99V utilizes a static-free anti-dust coating on the imager's filter. The camera also has a cleaning function which vibrates the image sensor for a short time to knock off any dust that may have settled on the imager.
Built-in GPS: The camera has a built-in GPS receiver that can obtain location information from overhead Global Positioning Satellites. This information is recorded in the images and movies shot at that location. Using the supplied "PMB" software, you can import images with location information to your computer and enjoy viewing them with a map which shows their shooting location.
Optional Vertical Grip: The A99V is compatible with the optional VG-C99AM vertical grip. The grip can hold 2 additional NP-FM500H batteries to give you significantly longer shooting times without having to change or charge batteries. The vertical grip has multiple controls that can be used comfortably when the camera is rotated to the portrait (vertical) orientation.
Playback Options: You can view images on the LCD monitor with 3 options: with recording data displayed, without recording data, or histogram display. A histogram is the luminance distribution that shows how many pixels of a particular brightness exists in a picture. The histogram display of this camera shows the brightness on the horizontal axis and the number of pixels on the vertical axis.
Auto Review: After an image is recorded, you can have the camera automatically display it on the LCD monitor for two, five or 10 seconds. You can also turn off auto review.
Image Rotation: Vertical shots can be rotated automatically so that they are displayed upright during playback. This can be done manually or automatically.
Playback Screen: You can view your photos back as a single image on the LCD monitor, as an Index or as a Slide Show. During Index View mode, you can view 4 or 9 images at once. You can adjust the Slide Show mode interval from 1, 3, 5, 10, or 30 seconds.
D-Range Optimizer/Auto HDR: The camera allows you to correct the brightness and contrast of an image automatically, using the D-Range Optimizer (DRO) and Auto High Dynamic Range functions. The DRO optimizes the gradations of a recorded image in each area of the image; you select the optimal level from Lv1 (weak) and Lv5 (strong). When Auto HDR is selected, the camera shoots three images with different exposures, then overlays them to create one image with the correct exposure and an overlaid image.
Rotating Images: Images can be rotated counter-clockwise 360-degrees on the camera's LCD monitor during single image playback.
Protect Images: You can protect all images on your memory card or select only certain images to be protected from accidental erasure.
HDMI Output: The SLT-A99V provides direct mini-HDMI output to your HDTV screen, so you can view and share photos in clarity and detail. The output resolution can be set to 1080p, 1080i, or Auto. When connected to a Sony BRAVIA TV, you can control the image playback using the TV remote. A mini-HDMI-to-HDMI cable is not supplied.
Printing Options: The camera offers the following printing options.
- DPOF Compatible: Using the camera, you can specify the images and the number of images to print before you print images at a photo-shop or with your printer.
- Memory Card: You can print images with a Memory Stick or SD card compliant printer.
- Computer: You can copy images to a computer using the supplied "Picture Motion Browser" software and print the images.
InfoLithium Battery: The SLT-A99V is powered by the NP-FM500H InfoLithium battery (supplied). The battery communicates data to the camera, so that the percentage of battery power remaining can be displayed. The approximate number of images that can be recorded with the supplied battery is as follows:
|With Viewfinder||With LCD Monitor|
|Still Images||410 shots||500 shots|
|Movies||155 minutes||155 minutes|
Charging: The supplied InfoLithium battery requires approximately 175 minutes for a full charge. The battery should be fully charged before initial use.
Power Save: You can set different time intervals for the camera to switch to Power Save mode. You can set the interval to 10 seconds, 20 seconds, 1 minute, 5 minutes, or 30 minutes. Once the camera goes into Power Save mode, you can return to the shooting mode by pressing the shutter button halfway. When the camera is connected to a TV or the drive mode is set to Remote Commander, the power save mode defaults to 30 minutes regardless of the setting.
Application Software CD-ROM: The following software is included with the SLT-A99V:
PlayMemories Home Ver. 1.3:
- Compatible with Windows XP SP3, Windows Vista SP2, and Windows 7 SP1 only
- Set images shot with the camera and display them on the computer.
- Organize images on the computer on a calendar by shooting date to view them.
- Retouch (red-eye reduction, etc.) print, send still images as email attachments, and change the shooting date.
- Edit images on the computer, such as trimming, resizing.
- Print or save still images with the date.
- Create Blu-ray discs or DVD discs from AVHCD movies imported to a computer. (Internet connection required when disc is created for the first time.)
Image Data Converter Ver. 4.2:
- Compatible with Windows XP SP3, Windows Vista SP2, Windows 7 SP1, Mac OS X v10.5 -- 10.8
- Open and edit images recorded in RAW mode with various corrections, such as tone curve, and sharpness.
- Adjust images with white balance, exposure, creative style, etc.
- Save the images displayed and edited on a computer. You can save the image as RAW format, or save it in the general file format.
- Display and compare RAW/JPEG images recorded with the camera.
- Rate the images on a scale of 5.
- Set color labels.
Remote Camera Control Ver. 3.0:
- Compatible with Windows XP SP3, Windows Vista SP2, Windows 7 SP1, Mac OS X v10.5 -- 10.8
- Set up the camera or record an image from the computer.
- Record an image directly to the computer.
- Perform an Interval Timer Shooting.
Compatible Operating Systems (for USB Connection):
- Windows: Windows XP SP3, Windows Vista SP2, Windows 7 SP1
- Macintosh: Mac OS X v10.3 -- v10.8
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.
Product reviews from the Crutchfield Labs
by Zak Billmeier
Sony's Alpha line of digital SLRs employ a translucent mirror instead of the traditional flipping mirror, letting you shoot faster than ever.