Why Choose Crutchfield?
Great gear and expert advice
Our experts help you pick the ideal gear for your needs.Meet our advisors
Free tech support for the life of your gear.Read about our one-on-one expert help
You may return items that are complete and like new for any reason within 60 days.See the details of our return policy
Earn one point for every dollar you spend and use those points to save on future purchases.Get full details on Crutchfield Rewards
Deep discounts on car installation gear
We offer vehicle-specific installation instructions, dash kits, wiring harnesses, and speaker accessories at deeply discounted prices with car stereo and speaker purchases. Available for most vehicles.Learn more
Trusted since 1974
Our customers have trusted us with their business, and they’ve helped us win awards for our service.Check out our most recent awards
The manufacturer’s warranty always applies.See more details
Blu-ray player with Wi-Fi®
Item # 158BDP3100 | MFR # BDP-S3100
This item is no longer available.
Our take on the Sony BDP-S3100 by Crutchfield's David Brown
There's always something on
The latest Blu-ray players offer much more than just gorgeous HD picture quality from discs. With built-in Wi-Fi on many players, online streaming options are plentiful. That's certainly the case with the Sony BDP-S3100. With more than 100 apps for movies and shows like Netflix®, Amazon Instant Video, HuluPlus™, and YouTube™, the viewing options are practically endless.
Don't forget about music
Looking for even more streaming options? With a networked PC, you can stream videos, photos, and music to the 'S3100. Plus, Pandora® Internet radio and other streaming music options offer endless possibilities for listening, for discovering new songs or enjoying old favorites. The 'S3100 even features a coaxial digital output — perfect for older A/V receivers without HDMI inputs, so you can enjoy big beats from music and wall-shaking sound effects from movies through your home theater speakers. Sony's TV SideView app for Apple® and Android™ also lets you control the player from your compatible smartphone, transforming it into a powerful Wi-Fi remote using your wireless home network.
A USB port for even more options
Have a USB flash drive with photos and music? Pop it into the BDP-S3100's front-panel USB port and display your photos on your HDTV for instant slide shows. Or play MP3s through your home theater speakers, perfect for making party mixes without having to burn CDs. A thumb drive can also allow you to download BD-Live content from select Blu-ray discs, for access to bonus features like music and soundtrack information, behind-the-scenes trivia, and games.
easy to set up. great picture, loads fast, so far no cons
What's in the Box:
- Single-disc Blu-ray player
- Wireless remote control (RMT-B119A)
- 2 "AA" batteries
- Operating Instructions
- Warranty information
- Online product registration information
- Software License Information
- DIRECTV brochure
- plays Blu-ray discs, DVDs, CDs and rewriteable CDs
- built-in Wi-Fi for wireless streaming with 100+ apps for playing TV shows, movies, and music, including Netflix, HuluPlus, Amazon Instant Video, YouTube, and Pandora Internet radio (subscriptions required for some services)
- fully enclosed optical drive offers improved protection against dust
- Socialize feature allows you to make posts about movies, videos and music to social media
- stream photos/videos/music from a compatible DLNA-enabled Windows® PC
- control the player and stream content from compatible smartphones and tablets with Sony's SideView app for Apple and Android devices (requires both devices to be connected to the same wireless home network)
- BD-Live and BonusView support for added bonus features with compatible discs (requires external USB storage device)
- remote control
- plays Region A Blu-ray discs and Region 1 DVDs
- selectable video resolution up to 1080p, with video upconversion for DVD
- built-in audio decoding for Dolby® Digital, Dolby TrueHD, DTS®, and DTS-HD Master Audio
- front-panel USB port for use with external hard drives and thumb drives
- coaxial digital audio output
- Ethernet port for wired Internet connection
- HDMI output (cable not included)
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
Sony BDP-S3100 Reviews
Average Customer Review(s):
Thanks for submitting your review
Features and Specs
|Surround Sound Decoding||
Dolby Digital Plus
DTS-HD High Resolution Audio
DTS-HD Master Audio
|4K Ultra HD||No|
|Internet Movie Streaming||Neftlix,Hulu,Vudu,YouTube|
|Smartphone App Control||Yes|
|DVD Video Upconversion||720p, 1080i, 1080p|
|Parts Warranty||1 Year|
|Labor Warranty||1 Year|
|Digital Optical Output||None|
|Digital Coaxial Output||1|
|Analog Audio Outputs||None|
|1080p Video Output||Yes|
|Component Video Outputs||None|
Disc Compatibility: The Sony BDP-S3100 Blu-ray disc player is compatible with many disc types:
|Disc Type||Disc Description|
|Blu-ray||BD-ROM, BD-R, BD-RE|
|DVD||DVD-R, DVD-RW, DVD+R, DVD+RW|
|CD||CD-Audio, CD-R, CD-RW|
Blu-ray Disc Overview: Blu-ray Disc (BD) is a high-definition disc format designed to take advantage of today's high quality HDTVs. The resolution is up to 1920 x 1080 (1080p) and the data transfer rate is up to 54 mbps. Blu-ray Disc discs and players offer several advantages over the standard DVD format:
- Better Picture Quality: Blu-ray Disc is a true high-definition format offering video at 720p, 1080i, or 1080p resolution. While standard DVDs look very good on an HDTV, they don't provide a high-definition signal (not even when you use an up-converting DVD player). Blu-ray Disc delivers an extraordinarily sharp, clean, detailed picture, with deeper, richer colors.
- Better Sound Quality: In addition to the same multi-channel sound formats you're accustomed to with DVD (Dolby Digital and DTS), Blu-ray Disc offers Dolby TrueHD, Dolby Digital Plus, DTS-HD Master Audio, DTS-HD High Resolution, and uncompressed 7.1 channel PCM.
- Greater Storage Capacity: What makes Blu-ray Disc's superior picture and sound possible is the much higher storage capacity of Blu-ray Disc discs. A single-layer Blu-ray Disc can hold 25 gigabytes of data, over five times the amount a standard DVD can hold. Dual-layer Blu-ray Discs hold 50 gigabytes, which equates to nine hours of High Definition or 23 hours of Standard Definition video, plus high-resolution multi-channel audio and the added features and material that require multiple discs with standard DVD.
- Backward Compatible: To ensure backward-compatibility with your existing library of discs, Blu-ray Disc players use a dual-laser mechanism: a blue laser for playing high-definition Blu-ray Discs, and a conventional red laser for playing DVDs and audio CDs.
Note: Like DVD, BD uses region codes. The region code on your disc must match the region code on your player, otherwise the disc will not play. The BDP-S3100 is Blu-ray region A and DVD region 1. Blu-ray Disc uses the Advanced Access Content System (AACS) to prevent unauthorized recording of copyrighted material.
Firmware Updates: As Blu-Ray technology continues to evolve, new disc types with enhanced functionality will become available. In order for you to enjoy this new functionality, you will likely be required to update the firmware in your player. These firmware updates will become available for downloading from the Internet. Occasionally, Sony may release updated firmware for this unit that may add or improve the way a feature operates. These updates are available free of charge. This unit is capable of checking the firmware automatically when connected to the Internet via broadband connection.
Note: The tested Sony BDP-S3100 Blu-ray player contained firmware version M14.R.0039 with an immediate update for firmware version M14.R.0093 (as of 3/14/2013). Visit the Sony eSupport Site for the latest firmware update information.
USB Port: The front-panel USB (type-A) port allows you to play photo, videos, and music files on a connected USB device. The player can recognize Mass Storage Class (MSC) Devices that are FAT-compatible and Still Image Capture Devices (SICD) class devices. The player can recognize up to 500 folders/files. The USB port also allows you to enjoy additional content (such as BonusView) on certain Blu-ray Disc titles. Some BD-ROMs have bonus content and other data which can be downloaded to an inserted USB Flash Drive (minimum 1 GB recommended, sold separately).
Note: Not all USB devices are supported.
Compatible Audio/Video/Photo Formats: The Sony Blu-ray disc player supports playback of the following audio/video/photo files recorded on BD-R/RE, DVD+R/RW, DVD-R/RW, and CD-R/RW discs; plus compatible USB memory devices.
|Media Format||File Type|
|Audio||MP3, WMA, AAC, FLAC, WAV|
|Video||AVCHD, MPEG-1, MPEG-2, MPEG-4, Motion JPEG, WMV9, XVID|
|Photo||JPEG, GIF, PNG|
Enclosed Optical Drive: The fully-enclosed optical drive keeps dust and particles away for optimal video playback.
HDMI (ver.1.3): The BDP-S3100's HDMI output simplifies A/V connections by carrying video and digital audio in one cable. The HDMI resolution can be fixed at 480i, 480p, 720p, 1080i, or 1080p, or set to Auto, which selects the highest resolution accepted by your television.
Note: This player does not offer any analog audio/video outputs.
Precision Cinema HD Upscaling: Through the HDMI output, the BDP-S3100 is capable of upscaling the resolution of your standard DVDs. Output options include Auto (highest resolution accepted by the TV), 1080p (60 Hz video or 24 Hz), 1080i, or 720p. If necessary the output resolution can also be set to 480p or 480i. You can also choose to bypass the Blu-ray player's scaler, so the source material's original resolution is passed to your connected TV.
24p True Cinema: Movies are typically recorded on film with a frame rate of 24 frames per second. When a movie is transferred to Blu-ray Disc at 24 frames per second the BDP-S3100 will output that signal to the TV (if the TV will accept the 1080p/24 format) with no need for conversion.
Triluminos Color: The BDP-S3100 Blu-ray player incorporates Sony's Triluminos Color technology to provide a wider color gamut with rich, authentic color and a far more natural viewing experience with a heightened sense of depth.
Deep Color: The Sony Blu-ray player supports a color depth of up to 12 bits. Connecting the player and a TV that supports Deep Color via HDMI allows more accurate color reproduction than when connecting it to a TV that does not support Deep Color. The Deep Color function can be set to 10-bit, 12-bit, Auto, or Off.
x.v.Color: The BDP-S3100 supports x.v.Color, meaning it's ready for x.v.Color discs when they become available in the future.
Screen Settings: The Sony BDP-S3100 features the following screen settings:
- TV Type: You can select a 16:9 or 4:3 aspect ratio for the unit's video output to match your connected Television's screen aspect ratio.
- Screen Format: You can select the display configuration for a 4:3 screen picture on a 16:9 wide screen television. You can choose Full or Normal (select when connected to a TV with a wide mode function; displays a 4:3 screen picture in 16:9 aspect ratio even on a wide-screen TV) or Normal (changes the picture size to fit the screen size with the original picture aspect ratio).
- DVD Aspect Ratio: You can select the display configuration for playback of 16:9 screen pictures on a 4:3 screen TV. You can select from Letter Box or Pan & Scan.
Video Settings: The BDP-S3100 offers the following video adjustments:
- Picture Quality Mode: You can select from 3 preset pictures settings (Standard, Brighter, Theater) for different lighting environment.
- BNR: Reduces the mosaic-like block noise in the picture.
- MNR: Reduces minor noise around the picture outlines (mosquito noise)
- I/P Noise Reduction: Improves the picture quality of Internet entertainment.
Cinema Conversion Mode: The Sony Blu-ray player offers two Cinema Conversion Modes - (1) Auto mode automatically detects whether the material is video-based or film-based, and switches to the appropriate conversion method. (2) The Video mode is suited for video-based material and will always be selected regardless of the content.
BonusView: The BonusView feature provides picture-in-picture capability with select Blu-ray Disc titles. You can view addition content (such as director/actor commentary) in a small display window while the movie is playing.
Surround Sound Decoders: The BDP-S3100 has built-in Dolby Digital and DTS surround processors; multi-channel PCM Dolby Digital Plus, Dolby TrueHD, DTS-HD High Resolution, and DTS-HD Master Audio are output through the HDMI jack (when encoded on the Blu-ray Disc).
- Dolby Digital Plus: Dolby Digital Plus was developed as an extension to Dolby Digital. The audio coding technology supports 7.1 channel surround sound. Dolby Digital Plus also includes the standard Dolby Digital bit stream and is compatible with all current Dolby Digital processors using the coaxial digital output.
- Dolby TrueHD: Dolby TrueHD is a lossless coding technology that supports up to 8 channels of multi-channel surround sound for the next generation optical discs. The reproduced sound is true to the original source bit-for-bit.
- DTS-HD High Resolution Audio: DTS-HD High Resolution Audio supports a maximum sampling frequency of 96 kHz, and 7.1 multi-channel surround. DTS-HD High Resolution Audio has a maximum transmission rate of 6 Mbps, with a lossy compression.
- DTS-HD Master Audio: DTS-HD Master Audio has a maximum transmission rate of 24.5 Mbps and uses lossless compression (Lossless), and DTS-HD Master Audio corresponds to a maximum sampling frequency of 192 kHz, and maximum of 7.1ch.
Note: Dolby Digital Plus, Dolby TrueHD, and DTS-HD are only output via the player's HDMI output.
DTS Neo:6: This surround sound setting outputs simulated multichannel sound from 2 channel sources via the player's HDMI output.
Audio Settings: The BDP-S3100 allows you to adjust the following audio settings.
- AV SYNC: synchronize the picture and sound by delaying the audio output in relation to the picture output; 0 to 120 milliseconds
- Audio DRC: The player offers three dynamic range compression levels - Auto, On, Off.
Digital Audio Outputs: The BDP-S3100 is equipped with a coaxial (RCA) digital output. The Audio menu allows you to select the digital audio format that is passed through the coaxial digital output. Settings allow you to transfer Dolby Digital and/or DTS sound tracks, or down-mix surround bitstreams to 2-channel PCM audio.
Wired or Wireless Network Connection: The Sony BDP-S3100 Blu-ray player supports a wired or wireless network connection. Via the Blu-ray player's network connection your can enjoy music, video, and still-image files stored on your computer. You can also listen to internet radio and watch online movies, via Bravia Entertainment Network.
- Ethernet (LAN) Jack: The Sony BDP-S3100 Blu-ray player is equipped with an Ethernet (LAN) RJ-45 jack for connecting the player to your home network and computer.
- Built-in Wireless LAN: The Sony Blu-ray player also features built-in WiFi which allows you to wirelessly access the Internet and your home network. The Blu-ray player's built-in WiFi provides a wireless network connection for the player with easy and quick setup. With this feature, you can easily connect to a wireless LAN and enjoy the benefits of networking in a cable-free environment. A wireless connection requires a home network with an 802.11 b/g/n access point (802.11n recommended) and internet connection. Supports WPS, WEP, and WPA security.
Bravia Entertainment Network: Once the Sony BDP-S3100 has been connected to your home network (via Ethernet or WiFi), you can have your favorite internet content delivered to the Sony Blu-ray player via Bravia Internet Audio/Video, the Opera TV Store, or the built-in web browser. You can stream movies, videos, music, and more with Bravia Internet Video; while the built-in web-browser lets you search on-line content by URL. The Opera TV Store lets you download additional apps.
- Bravia Internet Audio/Video: Bravia Internet Audio/Video serves as a gateway to online audio/video content, delivering a variety of on-demand entertainment straight to the Sony Blu-ray player. Bravia Internet Audio/Video allows you to instantly stream a wide variety of movies, TV episodes, videos, and music from a large selection of entertainment apps.
- Opera Internet Browser: The built-in Opera Internet Browser allows you to access select web content through the Sony Blu-ray player. Using the Opera Internet Browser, you gain access to Sony.com and Gracenote Music Services. The built-in internet browser also allows you to do basic keyword searches, so you can browse other select websites (text-based only). The Opera Internet Browser is not a full search engine for the Internet and Web. For Internet audio/video/photo content, use Sony's Bravia Internet Video service. Some web-pages maybe too large for download.
- Opera TV Store: The Opera TV Store provides a collection of additional downloadable web apps that are optimized for TV viewing. These apps range from videos, games, weather, news, world clocks, and social networks.
Bravia Internet Audio/Video Library: Click here for a full list of Sony Entertainment Network content. The chart below lists many of the popular pre-installed Bravia Internet apps (as of 3/14/2013).
|App Categories||Popular Apps|
|Movies||Video Unlimited: Video Unlimited is the ultimate source for the latest hit movies, classics and TV shows from every major studio. Forget monthly subscriptions or late fees. Watch what you want, when you want. Buy or rent titles in SD, 1080p HD or 3D (select titles) up to 28 days before Netflix or Redbox.|
|Netflix 5.1: Unlimited Movies and TV episodes: For only $7.99 a month, instantly watch unlimited movies and TV episodes streaming over the Internet to your Sony TV.|
|Hulu+: Hulu Plus lets you watch current hit TV shows, classic series, and acclaimed movies anytime in HD for $7.99/month with limited advertising.|
|Vudu: Vudu is an HD on-demand movie service. With over 3,000 movies available on-demand in streaming 1080p, VUDU offers you the world's largest HD movie catalog. You can watch new movies on Vudu the same day they're released on DVD. Vudu delivers 1080p vide with 5.1ch surround sound. There is no monthly subscription fee. Pay for only the movies you want to watch.|
|Flixster: Get the hottest new movie trailers from Flixster.|
|Amazon Instant Video: Amazon Instant Video lets you search, browse and rent your favorites instantly, right from your couch. Choose from over 90,000 movies and TV shows, including the latest new releases|
|SnagFilms: The best Indie movies on demand.|
|CinemaNow: CinemaNow is a digital entertainment service that offers instant access to an extensive library of premium video content for rental or purchase, including new release movies and TV shows, with no subscription required.|
|Crackle: The next-generation video entertainment network with hundreds of movies, TV shows and original series from the vast Sony Pictures library.|
|Music||Music Unlimited: Music Unlimited offers you unlimited access to millions of songs from every major label. Forget syncing MP3 files across multiple devices; simply connect to the cloud to instantly experience the music you love anytime, anyplace. Enjoy timeless favorites or dare to try something new; all without paying for each track or album.|
|Pandora: Free, personalized internet radio playing only music you love. Pandora brings an effortless personal soundtrack into your living room. Enter your favorite artists and enjoy stations created just for you. Rate songs as they play, because Pandora caters to your tastes and adapts stations to your feedback on the spot.|
|Slacker: Slacker is a free personalized radio service with millions of songs from thousands of artists. Simply select your favorite type of music from one of over 120 expert-programmed genre stations. As you listen, give feedback and the station becomes personalized just for you.|
|vTuner: vTuner offers easy browsing of internet radio stations and podcasts. vTuner enables access to web-based radio stations and podcasts via an extremely reliable online database with a wide variety of content. You can browse content by Genre, Location, Language, and Favorites.|
|Berliner Philharmoniker: Enjoy one of the world's best orchestras directly from your connected Sony TV.|
|Social Media||YouTube: The world's most popular online destination, comes to your Sony Connected Device. This forum allows people to discover and watch millions of originally-created videos.|
|Facebook: Millions of people use Facebook everyday to keep up with friends, upload an unlimited number of photos, share links and videos, and learn more about the people they meet.|
|Sports||XOS College Sports: Offers the largest digital library of college sports content, spanning 75+ years of competition. Watch full games, original programming, season highlights and documentaries both past and present. All the best conferences, teams and sports are here.|
|NHL Games: Watch live and archived NHL games.|
|GolfLink.com: Built for golfers, and covering over 21,000 courses, Golflink.com brings you everything you need to track and improve your game.|
|Billabong's: Snow, Surf, Skate and Wake action from around the globe, featuring Billabong's all-star athletes, swimwear and fashion models.|
|Lifestyle||AOL HD: Watch the latest in technology from Engadget and TechCrunch, catch up on the latest celebrity gossip from Huffington Post, preview the latest movies from Moviefone, or even learn how to cook like a pro from personalities such as Curtis Stone, Sam Talbot and Gail Simmons - all from AOL HD.|
|eHow: Watch the latest videos from Howcast, your source for the best how-to videos. From how to write a resume - to how to survive a bear attack, Howcast shows you how to do just about anything; wherever and whenever you want to know how.|
|Livestrong: The destination for health, fitness and lifestyle videos. Take responsibility and live an active, healthy lifestyle every day.|
|Style.com: The definitive voice of fashion online, providing comprehensive coverage of the major fashion shows and authoritative reports on seasonal trends.|
|elgourmet.com: With original contents for those who know how to enjoy the pleasures of life, elgourmet.com offers 24 hrs of uninterrupted programming for experts in fine living.|
|Epicurious: Learn how to prepare dishes from around the world, tour celebrity kitchens and get tips on entertaining.|
|WealthTV: WealthTV is the premier luxury lifestyle and entertainment cable network that gives you a vicarious look into the American Dream. From the fastest cars to the most exotic destinations, WealthTV allows you to travel the world and live the good life without having to leave your living room.|
|uStudio: Professionally-produced video clips and how-to videos. Named 'Best of Web' by BusinessWeek readers in 2008.|
|DailyMotion: Engages your world with video of your interests and hobbies, eyewitness accounts of recent news and distant places and everything else from strange to spectacular.|
|News||NPR: Acclaimed audio podcasts from National Public Radio featuring news, talk, and entertainment.|
|NewsLook: Whether you're interested in anything ranging from World News and US Politics to Recipes and Celebrity Gossip, NewsLook's topic based video RSS reader has everything you're looking for available in real time. Watch news on the go or from the comfort of your home on your connected Sony TV.|
Note: Bravia Internet Audio/Video requires a home network with a connection speed of at least 2.5 Mbps recommended (10 Mbps for HD content). Video quality and picture size vary and are dependent upon broadband speed and delivery by content provider. Online content may require additional fees and/or PC registration. Available online content may change without notice.
DLNA Certified: DLNA certification allows you to enjoy various content from your home network, such as photo (JPEG/PNG/GIF), music (MP3/WMA/WAV), and video (AVCHD/MPEG/WMV/XVID) files stored on your Windows 7 PC (or other DLNA Certified media server) through the Sony BDP-S3100. The Blu-ray player can be connected to your compatible PC using a hardwired Ethernet (LAN) connection or Wi-Fi connection (via built-in WiFi). This eliminates the need to copy your photo, video, and music files to a separate USB storage device.
Party Streaming: You can play music in other rooms simultaneously by connecting Sony products which are compatible with DLNA and the Party Streaming function.
Gracenote Metadata Service: The Gracenote Metadata service instantly gives you access to detailed information about the movies you are watching through the Blu-ray disc player internet connectivity. This easy-to-navigate service displays information such as cast information, genre, jacket art and more right on the TV screen. You can also access select internet apps including YouTube and Qriocity to find related entertainment.
Note: Requires Internet connectivity. Some disc titles may not be supported by the Gracenote service.
BD-Live: BD-Live technology allows you to download and stream bonus content such as additional scenes, shorts, trailers, movie-based games, and more from a broadband Internet and home network connections (fees may apply). The Sony Blu-ray player features an Ethernet port to connect to the Internet via your home network and features front-panel USB port for additional storage.
Note: You must have a minimum 1GB USB memory device inserted in the unit's front-panel USB port in order to download content from BD-Live.
Quick Start: Quick Start speeds up the load time on movies, so discs start faster after they're inserted into the Blu-ray player. The Sony Blu-ray player has a start-up time of approximately 2.7 seconds in Quick Start mode (23.1 seconds in normal mode). In Quick Start mode, it takes approximately 19.7 seconds for a Blu-ray disc to begin playback (35.3 seconds in normal mode).
Note: The Start Up/Play Back Time tests were started with the Blu-ray player initially turned off and in standby mode. The Start Up Time test was stopped when the player's Home Menu screen appeared. The Play Back Time test was stopped when the Blu-ray disc began playback.
On-Screen Display: The Sony BDP-S3100 provides an OSD via its HDMI output. The on-screen text can be set to English, French, Spanish, or Portuguese. The unit does not offer a front-panel display.
Auto Display: The player automatically displays information on your TV screen when changing the viewing titles, picture modes, audio signals, etc..
Screen Saver: The screen saver image appears when you do not use the player for more than 10 minutes while an on-screen display, such as the home menu, is displayed on your TV screen. The screen saver image helps prevent your display devices from becoming damaged.
Auto Standby: If any button on the player or remote is not pressed for more than 30 minutes, the player automatically returns to standby mode.
Parental Control: The Sony BDP-S3100 offers Parental Control settings to limit BD, DVD, and streamed Internet video according to the age of the users. You can also Allow or Block all unrated Internet video. The control settings are protected by a custom 4-digit password. You can also lock the disc tray to prevent it from being opened by mistake.
Energy Star Compliant: The Sony BDP-S3100 Blu-ray player meets Energy Star 2.0 standards. Electric power consumption is significantly reduced during both use and standby.
Multi-brand Remote: The supplied remote operates the Blu-ray player and a Sony TV's power on/off, input select, and volume up/down. The remote even has a dedicated Netflix button for immediate access to your Netflix movies. The remote is also pre-programmed with power, input, and volume controls for several other brand TVs.
HDMI Control (Bravia Sync): Sony components compatible with the HDMI Control function can be controlled via the HDMI connection. This includes convenient features like One-Touch Play and System Power-Off.
Sony TV SideView App: With the free Sony TV SideView App, you can control the BDP-S3100 Blu-ray player and browse content from your Apple iPod touch/iPhone/iPad (5.0+) or Android smartphone/tablet (2.2+). Simply download the this app from the iTunes App Store or Google Play Store. The TV SideView App will allow your compatible Apple iOS or Android device to act as a remote control and software keyboard for the Sony Blu-ray player. You can also view disc information and search for Sony Bravia Internet apps from your compatible mobile device. In addition, you can use your Apple iOS/Android device to stream your videos, pictures, and music stored on your Windows computer or DLNA server to the Blu-ray player and your connected TV.
Note: The Sony TV SideView App requires that the Sony Blu-ray player and your Apple iOS or Android device be connected to the same DLNA compatible wireless network with the remote device connected through an 802.11 access point (802.11n recommended).
USB Keyboard Compatible: The Sony Blu-ray player also supports the connection of a USB 101 keyboard, which makes web browsing simpler.
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.
4 questions already asked
5 answers Can it be used out of the box for playing CDs, DVDs and Blu-Ray without WIFI? (I know, you give up a lot a features without WIFI.) If WIFI is required just to set it up for such limited use, can it be set up at a lococation with WIFI and then used at a location without WIFI? [ R. S. Zak Jan 31, 2014 ]
With all the streaming on lone I have not even used this device yet. Sorry I could not help. [ MIKE Feb 02, 2014 ]
Wi-Fi is not needed to set up the player. It is needed to access the apps and update the firmware. Other than that. Go for it. You won't be sorry. Excellent player. [ DENNIS E Jan 31, 2014 ]
You don't need the WIFI to play CD's, etc. It is wired into your receiver and plays and works like the old ones. The WIFI is independent. I don't remember if you need the WIFI for initial set-up, but I don't think so if you're not going to use it. [ JOHN A Jan 31, 2014 ]
R.S. Z, Sony BDP-S3100 can be used without a WI-Fi connection. All types of discs are supported: CD, CDR, DVD, DVDR & Blu-Ray. The WI-FI connection allows to access on line content(Netflix, Hulu etc...) but is not needed to set up the player with a non-Wi-Fi system. I hope this helps, Anthony [ ANTHONY Jan 31, 2014 ]
Plug in the HDMO cable and it is good to go. The wifi is used for streaming video [ RICHARD T Jan 31, 2014 ]
We bought blue ray player solely to play DVD's and connect to our new Samsung HD-TV 40". Samsung is the very best. I know absolutely nothing about connecting to the internet. [ Frank Jan 16, 2014 ]
Yes, you can access the web. I find it hard to navigate using my remote, so I'm not sure if a wireless keyboard would work, but that would be a lot easier. [ BRIAN Jan 07, 2014 ]
I believe you can only stream videos, such as netflix, hulu, and amazon. I think you need a computer for the things you mention. [ SUSAN Jan 06, 2014 ]
The DVD has a web browser app that let's you go anywhere on the web. I haven't tried these specific sites but I think as long as the sites have a decent mobile version it should work. Personally I do not like to do heavy surfing without a keyboard so I stick to my laptop to do most things. [ CHRIS L Jan 06, 2014 ]
hi, well, I know you can access youtube, facebook, netfix, Pandora, etc. I have not tried to access email and other sites. even if you could, it would be awkward since there is no physical keyboard. [ DOUG Jan 06, 2014 ]
Hi Jerry, I just used an HDMI cable direct to the TV. This takes care of picture and sound. I also connected it to my wireless network which adds a lot of features. It also downloaded a software update as soon as it connected to the internet. Very easy to set up. Hope that helps. Jim [ JAMES Jan 05, 2014 ]
Yes. Great machine. [ RICHARD Dec 27, 2013 ]
Connections can be pretty simple. If you want to run your audio through your TV set, then the HDMI cable from your BDP to your TV will take care of video and audio. If you want to run the audio thorugh a receiver, then you will also need a digital coaxial cable from your BDP to your receiver. This is audio only. You will still need to run the HDMI from the BDP to your TV for the video feed. There is a third option of running everything through your receiver, but you would need a proper receiver to do that. [ JEFFREY Dec 27, 2013 ]
Sorry, I cannot help. Ours was wired using only HDMI and it works fine. [ Mallory Dec 27, 2013 ]
Yes - it means digital audio coaxial, but it takes care of audio only. You need an HDMI cable for video. Hope this helps [ BENJAMIN Dec 27, 2013 ]
I'm not sure about that, I'm running it using HDMI cable, and of course that carries both the audio and video signal. Hope that helps. [ JAMES Dec 27, 2013 ]
Sorry but I have no clue. Thank you. [ ROMAN Dec 30, 2013 ]
works great, great price, no problems so far [ TERRENCE Dec 29, 2013 ]
Thanks for this tip as I've received conflicting answers. I think another site stated this is a multi-region player but will check out the users manual. Thanks again! [ kimberly Dec 27, 2013 ]
nope [ DINO Dec 27, 2013 ]
I don't believe so [ JAMES Dec 27, 2013 ]
Yes. I believe it is. The best way to confirm my answer is to download the users manual. [ DENNIS E Dec 27, 2013 ]
Kimberly, Sony does not produce a "region free" blu-ray/dvd player. At least not for sale in the U.S. [ ANTHONY Dec 26, 2013 ]
I bought mine some time ago but an not sure regarding Kimberly's question. Sorry I could not answer this. Mike [ MIKE Dec 26, 2013 ]