Why Choose Crutchfield?
Great gear and expert advice
Our experts help you pick the ideal gear for your needs.Meet our advisors
Free tech support for the life of your gear.Read about our one-on-one expert help
You may return items that are complete and like new for any reason within 60 days.See the details of our return policy
Earn one point for every dollar you spend and use those points to save on future purchases.Get full details on Crutchfield Rewards
Deep discounts on car installation gear
We offer vehicle-specific installation instructions, dash kits, wiring harnesses, and speaker accessories at deeply discounted prices with car stereo and speaker purchases. Available for most vehicles.Learn more
Trusted since 1974
Our customers have trusted us with their business, and they’ve helped us win awards for our service.Check out our most recent awards
The manufacturer’s warranty always applies.See more details
Internet-ready Blu-ray player
Item # 158BDPS185 | MFR # BDPS185
This item is no longer available.
Our take on the Sony BDP-S185 by Crutchfield's Marshall Chase
One small player a whole lot of entertainment
Leave it to Sony to come up with the most compact Blu-ray player we've seen. But the BDP-S185 is far more than a disc player it's a one-box entertainment center. This player also lets you stream videos from Netflix® and YouTube, share your latest pictures with friends and family, or play music from streaming services like PANDORA® Internet radio. Oh, yeah, it plays those standard-def DVDs, too, and can make them look almost as good as HD.
Tell all your friends and followers
The BDP-S185 comes with Sony's Socialize feature. This allows you to post a message to the major social media sites so you can share information about the Internet videos and music that you're enjoying. Just the touch of a button on the included remote lets you easily post your opinion on Facebook® or Twitter.
Great Picture for the money, nothing like 1080 pi. Product is easy to use self explanatory. Great price. Use a high end Monster HDMI Cable for best results.
ASG, Hemet, CA
What's in the Box:
- Single-disc Blu-ray player
- RMT-B118A wireless remote control
- 2 "AA" batteries
- 47`" Audio/Video cable (with a composite video and stereo RCA connections on each end)
- Operating Instructions
- Warranty information
- Online product registration information
- Software License Information
- plays standard Blu-ray discs, DVDs, and CDs
- Internet-ready plays TV shows, movies, and music from a number of sources, including Netflix®, YouTube, Hulu Plus, PANDORA®, and Slacker® (broadband service required; subscription required for Netflix service)
- find the latest info about this Blu-ray player's Internet apps at Sony's website (apps may vary by model)
- learn more about the Sony Entertainment Network
- Socialize feature allows you to make posts about movies, videos and music to social media
- plays AVCHD video files recorded on HD camcorders and burned to DVD
- BD-Live Ready requires 4GB USB thumb drive
- meets ENERGY STAR® requirements
- remote control
- selectable video resolution up to 1080p via HDMI output
- video upconversion for DVD (via HDMI)
- built-in audio decoding for Dolby® Digital, Dolby Digital Plus, Dolby TrueHD, DTS®, and DTS-HD
- high-resolution audio can be decoded in the player or in your compatible receiver (HDMI connection required)
- video output via HDMI only
- audio outputs include stereo RCA and coaxial digital
- Ethernet port for Internet connectivity
- dual USB ports let you share media from a compatible camera or thumb drive
- 11-7/16"W x 1-11/16"H x 8-3/4"D
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- no front-panel display
Sony BDP-S185 Reviews
Average Customer Review(s):
Thanks for submitting your review
Features and Specs
|Surround Sound Decoding||
Dolby Digital Plus
DTS-HD High Resolution Audio
DTS-HD Master Audio
|4K Ultra HD|
|Internet Movie Streaming||Neftlix,Hulu,Vudu,YouTube|
|Smartphone App Control||No|
|DVD Video Upconversion||720p, 1080i, 1080p|
|Parts Warranty||1 Year|
|Labor Warranty||1 Year|
|Digital Optical Output||None|
|Digital Coaxial Output||1|
|Analog Audio Outputs||Stereo|
|1080p Video Output||Yes|
|Component Video Outputs||None|
Disc Compatibility: The Sony BDP-S185 Blu-ray disc player is compatible with many disc types:
|Disc Type||Disc Description|
|Blu-ray||BD-ROM, BD-R (ver.1.1/1.2/1.3), BD-RE (ver.2.1)|
|DVD||DVD-Video, DVD-R, DVD-RW, DVD+R, DVD+RW|
|CD||CD-Audio, CD-ROM, CD-R, CD-RW|
Blu-ray Disc Overview: Blu-ray Disc (BD) is a new high-definition disc format designed to take advantage of today's high quality HDTVs. The resolution is up to 1920 x 1080 (1080p) and the data transfer rate is up to 54 mbps. Blu-ray Disc discs and players offer several advantages over the standard DVD format:
- Better Picture Quality: Blu-ray Disc is a true high-definition format offering video at 720p, 1080i, or 1080p resolution. While standard DVDs look very good on an HDTV, they don't provide a high-definition signal (not even when you use an up-converting DVD player). Blu-ray Disc delivers an extraordinarily sharp, clean, detailed picture, with deeper, richer colors.
- Better Sound Quality: In addition to the same multi-channel sound formats you're accustomed to with DVD (Dolby Digital and DTS), Blu-ray Disc offers Dolby TrueHD, Dolby Digital Plus, DTS-HD Master Audio, DTS-HD High Resolution, and uncompressed 7.1 channel PCM.
- Greater Storage Capacity: What makes Blu-ray Disc's superior picture and sound possible is the much higher storage capacity of Blu-ray Disc discs. A single-layer Blu-ray Disc can hold 25 gigabytes of data, over five times the amount a standard DVD can hold. Dual-layer Blu-ray Discs hold 50 gigabytes, which equates to nine hours of High Definition or 23 hours of Standard Definition video, plus high-resolution multi-channel audio and the added features and material that require multiple discs with standard DVD.
- Backward Compatible: To ensure backward-compatibility with your existing library of discs, Blu-ray Disc players use a dual-laser mechanism: a blue laser for playing high-definition Blu-ray Discs, and a conventional red laser for playing DVDs and audio CDs.
Note: Like DVD, BD uses region codes. The region code on your disc must match the region code on your player, otherwise the disc will not play. The BDP-S185 is Blu-ray region A and DVD region 1. Blu-ray Disc uses the Advanced Access Content System (AACS) to prevent unauthorized recording of copyrighted material.
Firmware Updates: As Blu-Ray technology continues to evolve, new disc types with enhanced functionality will become available. In order for you to enjoy this new functionality, you will likely be required to update the firmware in your player. These firmware updates will become available for downloading from the Internet. Occasionally, Sony may release updated firmware for this unit that may add or improve the way a feature operates. These updates are available free of charge. This unit is capable of checking the firmware automatically when connected to the Internet via broadband connection.
Note: The tested Sony BDP-S185 Blu-ray player contained firmware version M09.R.0022 (as of 11/18/2011). There was an immediate firmware upgrade (M09.R.0029) available. Visit the Sony eSupport Site for the latest firmware update information.
AVCHD: AVCHD (MPEG-4 AVC/H.264) is a high definition digital video camera format used to record in high definition or standard definition on DVD, using an efficient data compression coding technology. The format is designed to compress video and audio (Dolby Digital or Linear PCM) data, enabling a high definition video signal shot on a digital video camera recorder to be recorded on DVD discs, in the same way as it would be for a standard definition signal.
MPEG Playback: The Sony Blu-ray disc player supports playback of MPEG (1-2-4) video files recorded on BD-RE, BD-R, DVD+RW, DVD+R, DVD-RW, DVD-R, CD-R, and CD-RW discs.
JPEG Playback: This unit will play JPEG still picture files recorded onto BD-RE, BD-R, DVD+RW, DVD+R, DVD-RW, DVD-R, CD-R, and CD-RW discs. Still images on your disc can be viewed in a Slide-Show as well as rotated 90-degrees left or right.
MP3/WMA/AAC Playback: The BDP-S185 supports MP3/WMA/AAC audio files recorded on BD-R/RE, DVD-R/RW, DVD+R/RW, and CD-R/RW discs. When stopped and restarted, playback resumes at the same point as long as the tray hasn't been opened and the player hasn't been turned off.
Video Outputs: The Sony BDP-S185 Blu-ray disc player features one high-definition HDMI output and one standard-definition composite video output.
- HDMI (ver.1.3): The BDP-S185's HDMI output simplifies A/V connections by carrying video and digital audio in one cable. The HDMI resolution can be fixed at 480i, 480p, 720p, 1080i, or 1080p, or set to Auto, which selects the highest resolution accepted by your television.
- Composite Video: The composite video output will only output 480i, no matter the source.
Note: This player does not offer a component or S-video output.
Precision Cinema HD Upscaling: Through the HDMI output, the BDP-S185 is capable of upscaling the resolution of your standard DVDs. Output options include Auto (highest resolution accepted by the TV), 1080p (60 Hz video or 24 Hz), 1080i, or 720p. If necessary the output resolution can also be set to 480p or 480i.
24p True Cinema: Movies are typically recorded on film with a frame rate of 24 frames per second. When a movie is transferred to Blu-ray Disc at 24 frames per second the BDP-S185 will output that signal to the TV (if the TV will accept the 1080p/24 format) with no need for conversion.
Deep Color: The Sony Blu-ray player supports a color depth of up to 12 bits. Connecting the player and a TV that supports Deep Color via HDMI allows more accurate color reproduction than when connecting it to a TV that does not support Deep Color. The Deep Color function can be set to 10-bit, 12-bit, Auto, or Off.
x.v.Color: The BDP-S185 supports x.v.Color, meaning it's ready for x.v.Color discs when they become available in the future.
Screen Settings: The Sony BDP-S185 features the following screen settings:
- TV Type: You can select a 16:9 or 4:3 aspect ratio for the unit's video output to match your connected Television's screen aspect ratio.
- Screen Format: You can select the
display configuration for a 4:3 screen picture on a 16:9
wide screen television. You can select from the following:
- Original: select when connected to a TV with a wide mode function; displays a 4:3 screen picture in 16:9 aspect ratio even on a wide-screen TV
- Fixed Aspect Ratio: changes the picture size to fit the screen size with the original picture aspect ratio
- DVD Aspect Ratio: You can select the display configuration for playback of 16:9 screen pictures on a 4:3 screen TV. You can select from Letter Box or Pan & Scan.
Video Settings: The BDP-S185 offers the following video adjustments:
- Picture Quality Mode: You can select from 3 preset pictures settings (Standard, Brighter, Theater) for different lighting environment.
- BNR: Reduces the mosaic-like block noise in the picture.
- MNR: Reduces minor noise around the picture outlines (mosquito noise)
- I/P Noise Reduction: Improves the picture quality of Internet entertainment.
Cinema Conversion Mode: The Sony Blu-ray player offers two Cinema Conversion Modes - Auto & Video.
- Auto: The player automatically detects whether the material is video-based or film-based, and switches to the appropriate conversion method.
- Video: The conversion method suited for video-based material will always be selected regardless of the content.
BonusView: The BonusView feature provides picture-in-picture capability with select Blu-ray Disc titles. You can view addition content (such as director/actor commentary) in a small display window while the movie is playing.
Surround Sound Decoders: The BDP-S185 has built-in Dolby Digital and DTS surround processors; multi-channel PCM Dolby Digital Plus, Dolby TrueHD, DTS-HD High Resolution, and DTS-HD Master Audio are output through the HDMI jack (when encoded on the Blu-ray Disc).
- Dolby Digital Plus: Dolby Digital Plus was developed as an extension to Dolby Digital. The audio coding technology supports 7.1 channel surround sound. Dolby Digital Plus also includes the standard Dolby Digital bit stream and is compatible with all current Dolby Digital processors using the coaxial digital output.
- Dolby TrueHD: Dolby TrueHD is a lossless coding technology that supports up to 8 channels of multi-channel surround sound for the next generation optical discs. The reproduced sound is true to the original source bit-for-bit.
- DTS-HD High Resolution Audio: DTS-HD High Resolution Audio supports a maximum sampling frequency of 96 kHz, and 7.1 multi-channel surround. DTS-HD High Resolution Audio has a maximum transmission rate of 6 Mbps, with a lossy compression.
- DTS-HD Master Audio: DTS-HD Master Audio has a maximum transmission rate of 24.5 Mbps and uses lossless compression (Lossless), and DTS-HD Master Audio corresponds to a maximum sampling frequency of 192 kHz, and maximum of 7.1ch.
Note: Dolby Digital Plus, Dolby TrueHD, & DTS-HD are only output via the player's HDMI output.
Audio Settings: The BDP-S185 allows you to adjust the following audio settings:
- AV SYNC: synchronize the picture and sound by delaying the audio output in relation to the picture output; 0 to 120 milliseconds
- Audio DRC: The player offers three dynamic range compression levels - Auto, On, Off.
Audio Outputs: The Sony BDP-S185 Blu-ray disc player features a coaxial digital audio output (coaxial) and one analog RCA stereo audio output.
- Digital Audio Outputs: The BDP-S185 is equipped with a coaxial digital output. The Audio menu allows you to select the digital audio format that is passed through the coaxial digital output. Settings allow you to transfer Dolby Digital and/or DTS sound tracks, or down-mix surround bitstreams to 2-channel PCM audio.
- Analog Audio: There is a pair of stereo analog RCA outputs.
USB Port: The front-panel USB (type-A) port allows you to play photo (JPEG), videos (MPEG), & music (MP3/WMA/AAC) files on a connected USB device. The player can recognize Mass Storage Class (MSC) Devices that are FAT-compatible and Still Image Capture Devices (SICD) class devices. The player can recognize up to 5 folders and 500 files per folder. The USB port also allows you to enjoy additional content (such as BonusView) on certain Blue-ray Disc titles. Some BD-ROMs have bonus content & other data which can be downloaded to an inserted USB Flash Drive (minimum 1 GB recommended, sold separately).
Note: Not all USB devices are supported. The player also supports USB 101 keyboards.
LAN (100) Port: Connect the player's rear panel LAN (100) terminal to your Internet modem or router using a CAT-5 network cable (Ethernet cable sold separately) to access Internet video & music content or update the unit's software.
Note: This player is not WiFi compatible
BRAVIA Internet Video: The Sony BDP-S185 lets you instantly access millions of online entertainment choices from BRAVIA Internet Video. Using your home network and broadband connection, you can access a wide variety of movies, videos, music, and more. This can be done through the Blu-ray player's Ethernet terminal or using the optional USB Wireless LAN adapter (sold separately). Currently BRAVIA Internet Video offers the following online content (as of November 2011).
|BRAVIA Internet Video Entertainment Library|
|Sony Video Unlimited||blip.tv||concierge.com||Crackle||Dailymotion||eHow||epicurious||golflink.com||HuluPlus||LiveStrong.com|
|Netflix (2ch)||NPR||ustudio||Pandora||Podcasts||Amazon Instant Video||Singing Fool||Slacker||Style.com||Wired|
|YouTube Videos||Dr. Oz||Sony Pictures Television||Picasa||Photobucket||Shutterfly||Berliner Philharmoniker||Sony Music Unlimited||Moshcam.com||Flixster|
|Michael Jackson||NHL Vault||Vudu HD Movies||Billabong||terra||XO's College Sports||3D||Cinema Now||elgourmet.com||& more...|
Note: BRAVIA Internet Video Requires home network with a connection speed of at least 2.5 Mbps recommended (10 Mbps for HD content). Video quality and picture size vary and are dependent upon broadband speed and delivery by content provider. Online content may require additional fees and/or PC registration. Available online content may change without notice (visit Sony.com for latest information regarding online content).
Socialize: The Socialize feature allows you to post a message to the leading social media sites (Facebook & Twitter) so you can share information about the Internet videos & music that you're enjoying on the Sony Blu-ray disc player.
Gracenote Metadata Service: The Gracenote Metadata service instantly gives you access to detailed information about the movies you are watching through the Blu-ray disc player internet connectivity. This easy-to-navigate service displays information such as cast information, genre, jacket art and more right on the TV screen. You can also access select internet apps including YouTube and Qriocity to find related entertainment
Note: Requires Internet connectivity. Some disc titles may not be supported by the Gracenote service.
BD-Live: BD-Live technology allows you to download and stream bonus content such as additional scenes, shorts, trailers, movie-based games, and more from a broadband Internet and home network connections (fees may apply). The Sony Blu-ray player features an Ethernet port to connect to the Internet via your home network & features front-panel USB port for additional storage.
Note: You must have a minimum 1GB USB memory device inserted in the unit's front-panel USB port in order to download content from BD-Live.
Start Up/Play Back Time: The Sony BDP-S185 Blu-ray player has a start-up time of approximately 25 seconds. It takes approximately 43 seconds for a Blu-ray disc to begin playback.
Note: The Start Up/Play Back Time tests were started with the Blu-ray player initially turned off & in standby mode. The Start Up Time test was stopped when the player's Home Menu screen appeared. The Play Back Time test was stopped when the Blu-ray disc began playback.
On-Screen Display: The Sony BDP-S185 provides an OSD via its HDMI or composite video output. The on-screen text can be set to English, French, Spanish, or Portuguese. The unit does not offer a front-panel display.
Auto Display: The player automatically displays information on your TV screen when changing the viewing titles, picture modes, audio signals, etc..
Screen Saver: The screen saver image appears when you do not use the player for more than 10 minutes while an on-screen display, such as the home menu, is displayed on your TV screen. The screen saver image helps prevent your display devices from becoming damaged.
Parental Control: The Sony BDP-S185 offers Parental Control settings to limit BD, DVD, and streamed Internet video according to the age of the users. You can also Allow or Block all unrated Internet video. The control settings are protected by a custom 4-digit password. You can also lock the disc tray to prevent it from being opened by mistake.
ENERGY STAR Compliant: The Sony BDP-S185 Blu-ray player meets Energy Star 2.0 standards. Electric power consumption is significantly reduced during both use & standby.
Multi-brand Remote: The supplied remote operates the Blu-ray player & a Sony TV's power on/off, input select, and volume up/down. The remote is also pre-programmed with power, input, & volume controls for several other brand TVs.
HDMI Control (Bravia Sync): Sony components compatible with the HDMI Control function can be controlled via the HDMI connection. This includes convenient features like One-Touch Play & System Power-Off.
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.