Why Choose Crutchfield?
Great gear and expert advice
Our experts help you pick the ideal gear for your needs.Meet our advisors
Free tech support for the life of your gear.Read about our one-on-one expert help
You may return items that are complete and like new for any reason within 60 days.See the details of our return policy
Earn one point for every dollar you spend and use those points to save on future purchases.Get full details on Crutchfield Rewards
Deep discounts on car installation gear
We offer vehicle-specific installation instructions, dash kits, wiring harnesses, and speaker accessories at deeply discounted prices with car stereo and speaker purchases. Available for most vehicles.Learn more
Trusted since 1974
Our customers have trusted us with their business, and they’ve helped us win awards for our service.Check out our most recent awards
The manufacturer’s warranty always applies.See more details
Internet-ready Blu-ray player, 3D-ready
Item # 158BDPS470 | MFR # BDPS470
This item is no longer available.
Our take on the Sony BDP-S470 by Crutchfield's Kristen Schaub
Prepare yourself for next-generation Blu-ray entertainment with Sony's BDP-S470. This slimline player not only lets you enjoy the gorgeous video and detailed sound that Blu-ray discs have to offer, but it also plays 3D Blu-ray discs (may require free firmware update). You can experience new dimensions of action-packed movie thrills, with 3D movies that put you in the middle of the story. Plus, this player can stream movies from the Internet, or music stored on your home computer. And if you have a large collection of DVDs, the 'S470 can play those too, and even convert their standard-def picture to near-HD quality.
Enjoy all the extra features that Blu-ray discs offer
With the BDP-S470, you can access bonus features like the director's commentaries and behind the scenes footage, even while your movie's playing, along with additional downloadable bonus features like games, chat, and movie trailers. Just plug a thumb drive into the player's USB port to save downloaded material. Add the optional Wi-Fi® adapter, and you can take advantage of the 'S470's online capabilities without running Ethernet cable. And iPhone® and iPod touch® users will appreciate the free BD-Remote app that lets you control the 'S470 and view movie details like cast and genre listings.
Netflix® movies, PANDORA® Internet radio, and even more entertainment options
Use this player to stream a variety of online content, from instantly available movies from Netflix® (membership required) and videos from YouTube. Or listen to PANDORA® and Slacker® Internet radio played through your home theater speakers. You can also connect your digital camera or thumb drive to the player's USB port to share your videos or photos with friends and family on your TV screen.
I'm very happy with this Blu-Ray player. It was easy to set up and use. The picture and sound is much better than my old standard JVC DVD player I had for over 8 years. I've had no problems with it so far and I would recomend it.
Scott S, Dallas, TX
What's in the Box:
- Single-disc 3D Blu-ray player
- RMT-B107A wireless remote control
- 2 "AA" batteries
- 46" Audio/Video cable with a composite video and stereo RCA connections on each end
- Operating Instructions
- Warranty information
- Online product registration information
- "End User License Agreement" booklet
- "Planned software update for 3D" note
- plays 3D Blu-ray discs (may require free firmware update), Blu-ray discs, DVDs, CDs, and JPEG CDs
- Internet-ready plays TV shows, movies, and music from a number of sources, including Netflix®, YouTube, PANDORA®, and Slacker® (broadband service required; subscription required for Netflix service)
- find the latest info about this Blu-ray player's Internet apps at Sony's website (apps may vary by model)
- learn more about the Sony Entertainment Network
- streams photos/videos/music from a compatible DLNA-enabled Windows® PC
- control the player and access detailed movie information from your iPhone® or iPod touch® (requires free app)
- plays AVCHD video files recorded on HD camcorders and burned to DVD
- BD-Live Ready requires 1GB USB thumb drive
- Wi-Fi capable with optional USB adapter
- BRAVIA Sync simplifies remote control for compatible Sony TVs and components via the HDMI connection (HDMI-CEC)
- remote control included
- selectable output resolution: 1080p signals available through HDMI output only; 720p/1080i signals available through HDMI or component video
- selectable 720p/1080i/1080p video upconversion for DVD (upconverted video available through HDMI output only)
- built-in audio decoding for Dolby Digital, Dolby Digital Plus, Dolby TrueHD, DTS, DTS-HD, and DTS-HD Master Audio
- high-resolution audio can be decoded in the player or in your compatible receiver (HDMI connection required)
- video outputs include composite video, component video, and HDMI
- audio outputs include stereo, coaxial digital, and optical digital
- Ethernet port for Internet connectivity
- USB port lets you share media from a compatible camera or thumb drive
- 16-15/16"W x 1-7/16"H x 9-3/4"D
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- viewing high-definition 3D Blu-ray content requires a 3D-compatible HDTV and 3D glasses
Sony BDP-S470 Reviews
Average Customer Review(s):
Thanks for submitting your review
Features and Specs
|Surround Sound Decoding||
Dolby Digital Plus
DTS-HD High Resolution Audio
DTS-HD Master Audio
|4K Ultra HD|
|Internet Movie Streaming||Netflix/HuluPlus/YouTube|
|Smartphone App Control||No|
|DVD Video Upconversion||720p, 1080i, 1080p|
|Parts Warranty||1 Year|
|Labor Warranty||1 Year|
|Digital Optical Output||1|
|Digital Coaxial Output||1|
|Analog Audio Outputs||Stereo|
|1080p Video Output||Yes|
|Component Video Outputs||1|
Disc Compatibility: The Sony BDP-S470 Blu-ray disc player is compatible with many disc types:
- BD-ROM: Bonus View (Profile1.1); BD-Live (Profile2.0); BD-ROM (SL/DL); 3D Blu-ray disc (Firmware upgrade required)
- BD-R (ver.1.1/1.2/1.3)BD-RE (ver.2.1): recordable Blu-ray Discs (including DL)
- Data BD: BD-REs and BD-Rs containing MP3/AAC/WMA audio files or JPEG still-image files
- DVD-Video: pre-recorded DVD
- DVD-R: record once DVD (including DL); Video and VR mode movies and MP3 or JPEG files
- DVD-RW: rewritable DVD; Video and VR mode movies and MP3 or JPEG files
- DVD+R: record once DVD (including DL); Video and +VR mode movies and MP3 or JPEG files
- DVD+RW: rewritable DVD; Video and +VR mode movies and MP3 or JPEG files
- SACD: pre-recorded Super Audio CD
- CD: pre-recorded CD
- CD-R: record once; CD-DA and MP3 or JPEG files
- CD-RW: rewritable CD; CD-DA and MP3 or JPEG files
Region Code: Like DVD, BD uses region codes. The region code on your disc must match the region code on your player, otherwise the disc will not play. The BDP-S470 is Blu-ray region A and DVD region 1.
Copy Protection: Blu-ray Disc uses the Advanced Access Content System (AACS) to prevent unauthorized recording of copyrighted material.
Blu-ray Disc Overview: Blu-ray Disc (BD) is a new high-definition disc format designed to take advantage of today's high quality HDTVs. The resolution is up to 1920 x 1080 (1080p) and the data transfer rate is up to 54 mbps. Blu-ray Disc discs and players offer several advantages over the standard DVD format:
- Better picture quality: Blu-ray Disc is a true high-definition format offering video at 720p, 1080i, or 1080p resolution. While standard DVDs look very good on an HDTV, they don't provide a high-definition signal (not even when you use an up-converting DVD player). Blu-ray Disc delivers an extraordinarily sharp, clean, detailed picture, with deeper, richer colors.
- Better sound quality: In addition to the same multi-channel sound formats you're accustomed to with DVD (Dolby Digital and DTS), Blu-ray Disc offers Dolby TrueHD, Dolby Digital Plus, DTS-HD Master Audio, DTS-HD High Resolution, and uncompressed 7.1 channel PCM.
- Much greater storage capacity: What makes Blu-ray Disc's superior picture and sound possible is the much higher storage capacity of Blu-ray Disc discs. A single-layer Blu-ray Disc can hold 25 gigabytes of data, over five times the amount a standard DVD can hold. Dual-layer Blu-ray Discs hold 50 gigabytes, which equates to nine hours of High Definition or 23 hours of Standard Definition video, plus high-resolution multi-channel audio and the added features and material that require multiple discs with standard DVD.
- Compatibility with your current disc collections: To ensure backward-compatibility with your existing library of discs, Blu-ray Disc players use a dual-laser mechanism: a blue laser for playing high-definition Blu-ray Discs, and a conventional red laser for playing DVDs and audio CDs.
Note: As Blu-Ray technology continues to evolve, new disc types with enhanced functionality will become available. In order for you to enjoy this new functionality, you will likely be required to update the firmware in your player. These firmware updates will become available for downloading from the Internet via the rear panel Ethernet terminal.
3D-Ready: The Sony BDP-S470 lets you enjoy 3D Blu-ray disc movies in full HD 1080p.
Note: Free Firmware update required for 3D playback. 3D viewing requires compatible 3D content, 3D HDTV, 3D emitter & glasses, and a high-speed HDMI cable (supporting at least 10.2 Gbps) connection.
AVCHD: AVCHD (MPEG-4 AVC/H.264) is a high definition digital video camera format used to record in high definition or standard definition on DVD, using an efficient data compression coding technology. The format is designed to compress video and audio (Dolby Digital or Linear PCM) data, enabling a high definition video signal shot on a digital video camera recorder to be recorded on DVD discs, in the same way as it would be for a standard definition signal.
MPEG Playback: The Sony Blu-ray disc player supports playback of MPEG (1-2-4) video files recorded on BD-RE, BD-R, DVD+RW, DVD+R, DVD-RW, DVD-R, CD-R, and CD-RW discs, or a USB MSC (mass storage class) device.
JPEG Playback: This unit will play JPEG still picture files recorded onto BD-RE, BD-R, DVD+RW, DVD+R, DVD-RW, DVD-R, CD-R, and CD-RW discs, or a USB device (Mass Storage Class or Still Image Capture Device) using the players' front-panel USB port. Still images on your disc can be viewed in a Slide-Show as well as rotated 90-degrees left or right.
MP3/WMA/AAC Playback: The BDP-S470 supports MP3/WMA/AAC audio files recorded on BD-R/RE, DVD-R/RW, DVD+R/RW, and CD-R/RW discs, or a USB device. When stopped and restarted, playback resumes at the same point as long as the tray hasn't been opened and the player hasn't been turned off.
SACD: Super Audio CD use a technology called Direct Stream Digital (DSD) to convert music into a digital signal that can be stored on a disc. Compared to the traditional PCM method (the technology used for CD), DSD offers a much higher resolution by following more closely the original waveform of music. With a frequency response of over 100kHz and a dynamic range over 120dB across the audible frequency range - some 64 times higher resolution then CD - Super Audio CD offers music reproduction that reveals details you just cannot hear on a normal CD.
Video Outputs: The Sony BDP-S470 Blu-ray disc player features two high-definition video outputs (HDMI, Component) and one standard-definition video output (composite).
- HDMI (ver.1.4): The BDP-S470's HDMI output simplifies A/V connections by carrying video and digital audio in one cable. This unit features HDCP copyright protection technology, and must be connected to an HDCP-compliant device. If your TV has a DVI input instead of an HDMI input, you can connect this unit to your TV using an HDMI-to-DVI adapter. You will also need to connect audio cables to the player because DVI is a video only cable. The HDMI resolution can be fixed at 480i, 480p, 720p, 1080i, or 1080p, or set to Auto, which selects the highest resolution accepted by your television. The video format can be set to Auto, component (4:4:4 or 4:2:2) or RGB.
- Component Video: The component video resolution can be set to 480i, 480p, 720p, or 1080i. If the HDMI output is set to 1080p, the component video output is fixed at 1080i. When a copyright protected DVD is played, the maximum component video output resolution is 480p.
- Composite Video: The composite output is always live and fixed at 480i. It can output video when playing a Blu-ray Disc.
Precision Cinema HD Upscale: Precision Cinema HD upscale uses high bandwidth digital-to-analog conversion and processing to detect image changes at the pixel level, rather than at the level of whole scan lines. Additionally, separate algorithms are used to process the moving and still parts of an image, resulting in sharp backgrounds with moving objects that are free from motion artifacts.
1080p HDMI Output with DVD Upscaling: Through the HDMI output, the BDP-S470 is capable of upscaling the resolution of your standard DVDs. Output options include Auto (highest resolution accepted by the TV), 1080p (60 Hz video or 24 Hz), 1080i, or 720p. If necessary the output resolution can also be set to 480p or 480i.
24p True Cinema: Movies are typically recorded on film with a frame rate of 24 frames per second. When a movie is transferred to Blu-ray Disc at 24 frames per second the BDP-S470 will output that signal to the TV (if the TV will accept the 1080p/24 format) with no need for conversion.
Deep Color: The Sony Blu-ray player supports a color depth of up to 12 bits. Connecting the player and a TV that supports Deep Color via HDMI allows more accurate color reproduction than when connecting it to a TV that does not support Deep Color. The Deep Color function can be set to 10-bit, 12-bit, Auto, or Off.
x.v.Color: The BDP-S470 supports x.v.Color, meaning it's ready for x.v.Color discs when they become available in the future.
Screen Settings: The Sony BDP-S470 features the following screen settings:
- TV Type: You can select a 16:9 or 4:3 aspect ratio for the unit's video output to match your connected Television's screen aspect ratio.
- Screen Format: You can select the
display configuration for a 4:3 screen picture on a 16:9
wide screen television. You can select from the following:
- Original: select when connected to a TV with a wide mode function; displays a 4:3 screen picture in 16:9 aspect ratio even on a wide-screen TV
- Fixed Aspect Ratio: changes the picture size to fit the screen size with the original picture aspect ratio
- DVD Aspect Ratio: You can select the display configuration for playback of 16:9 screen pictures on a 4:3 screen TV. You can select from Letter Box or Pan & Scan.
Video Settings: The BDP-S470 offers the following video adjustments:
- Picture Quality Mode: You can select from preset pictures settings for different lighting environment.
- FNR: Reduces the random noise appearing in the picture.
- BNR: Reduces the mosaic-like block noise in the picture.
- MNR: Reduces minor noise around the picture outlines (mosquito noise)
Cinema Conversion Mode: The Sony Blu-ray player offers two Cinema Conversion Modes - Auto and Video.
- Auto: The player automatically detects whether the material is video-based or film-based, and switches to the appropriate conversion method.
- Video: The conversion method suited for video-based material will always be selected regardless of the content.
BonusView: The BonusView feature provides picture-in-picture capability with select Blu-ray Disc titles. You can view addition content (such as director/actor commentary) in a small display window while the movie is playing.
Parental Control: The Sony BDP-S470 offers Parental Control settings to limit BD, DVD, and streamed Internet video according to the age of the users. You can also Allow or Block all unrated Internet video. The control settings are protected by a custom 4-digit password. You can also lock the disc tray to prevent it from being opened by mistake.
Quick Start: This feature shortens the startup time from standby mode. When the Quick Start Mode is turned on the standby power consumption is higher.
Dimmer: You can adjust the lighting of the unit's front panel display from Bright, Dark, or Off.
Screen Saver: The screen saver image appears when you do not use the player for more than 10 minutes while an on-screen display, such as the home menu, is displayed on your TV screen. The screen saver image helps prevent your display devices from becoming damaged.
Auto Standby Mode: If any button on the player or remote is not pressed for more than 30 minutes, the player automatically returns to standby mode.
Surround Sound Decoders: The BDP-S470 has built-in Dolby Digital and DTS surround processors; multi-channel PCM Dolby Digital Plus, Dolby TrueHD, DTS-HD High Resolution, and DTS-HD Master Audio are output through the HDMI jack (when encoded on the Blu-ray Disc).
- Dolby Digital Plus: Dolby Digital Plus was developed as an extension to Dolby Digital. The audio coding technology supports 7.1 channel surround sound. Dolby Digital Plus also includes the standard Dolby Digital bit stream and is compatible with all current Dolby Digital processors using the optical or coaxial digital output.
- Dolby TrueHD: Dolby TrueHD is a lossless coding technology that supports up to 8 channels of multi-channel surround sound for the next generation optical discs. The reproduced sound is true to the original source bit-for-bit.
- DTS-HD High Resolution Audio: DTS-HD High Resolution Audio supports a maximum sampling frequency of 96 kHz, and 7.1 multi-channel surround. DTS-HD High Resolution Audio has a maximum transmission rate of 6 Mbps, with a lossy compression.
- DTS-HD Master Audio: DTS-HD Master Audio has a maximum transmission rate of 24.5 Mbps and uses lossless compression (Lossless), and DTS-HD Master Audio corresponds to a maximum sampling frequency of 192 kHz, and maximum of 7.1ch.
Audio Settings: The BDP-S470 allows you to adjust the following audio settings:
- AV SYNC: synchronize the picture and sound by delaying the audio output in relation to the picture output; 0 to 120 milliseconds
- Audio DRC: The player offers three dynamic range compression levels - Auto, Standard, and Wide Range.
Audio Outputs: The Sony BDP-S470 Blu-ray disc player features two digital audio outputs (optical, coaxial) and one analog audio output (RCA)
- Digital Audio Outputs: The BDP-S470 is equipped with a coaxial and optical digital output. The Audio menu allows you to select the digital audio format that is passed through the optical digital and coaxial digital outputs. Settings allow you to transfer Dolby Digital and/or DTS sound tracks, or down-mix surround bitstreams to 2-channel PCM audio. The maximum sampling frequency can also be adjusted; 96 kHz/24-bit or 48 kHz/16-bit.
- Analog Audio: There is a pair of stereo analog RCA outputs.
Cooling Fan: A fan on the back of the BDP-S470 keeps the unit cool.
LAN (100) Port: Connect the player's rear panel LAN (100) terminal to your Internet modem or router using a CAT-5 network cable (Ethernet cable sold separately) to access Internet video and music content or update the unit's software.
Wi-Fi Adapter Ready: In addition to the unit's Ethernet port (LAN) connection, you can also easily connect wirelessly to your home's broadband network with Sony's optional USB Wireless LAN adapter (158WABR100, sold separately). This adapter plugs into the Blu-ray player's front or rear panel USB port.
Note: Requires home network with an 802.11 access point (802.11n recommended) and internet connection. Supports WPS, WEP, and WPA security.
USB Ports: The Sony BDP-S470 features front and rear panel USB Type-A port:
- Front Panel: The front-panel USB port allows you to play photo (JPEG), videos (MPEG), and music (MP3/WMA/AAC) files on a connected USB device. The player can recognize Mass Storage Class (MSC) Devices that are FAT-compatible and Still Image Capture Devices (SICD) class devices. The player can recognize up to 5 folders and 500 filers per folder.
- Rear Panel: The BDP-S470 features a rear panel USB Type-A port which allows you to enjoy additional content (such as BonusView) on certain Blue-ray Disc titles. Some BD-ROMs have bonus content and other data which can be downloaded to an inserted USB Flash Drive (minimum 1 GB recommended, sold separately).
Note: Not all USB devices are supported. The front or rear panel USB port can also used for Sony's optional USB Wireless LAN adapter (sold separately)
DLNA Certified: DLNA allows you to share music, videos, and photos between DLNA compatible devices using your DLNA home network. A DLNA network can be setup hardwired (using Ethernet port) or wirelessly (using optional USB Wireless LAN adapter).
Note: Requires home network and DLNA enabled device (such as a Windows PC). Firmware update required for DLNA functionality (available July 2010).
BRAVIA Internet Video: The Sony BDP-S470 lets you instantly access millions of online entertainment choices from BRAVIA Internet Video. Using your home network and broadband connection, you can access a wide variety of movies, videos, music, and more. This can be done through the Blu-ray player's Ethernet terminal or using the optional USB Wireless LAN adapter (sold separately). Currently BRAVIA Internet Video offers the following online content (as of December 2010):
- Movies & TV: HuluPlus, Netflix, Amazon Video On Demand, Qriocity, Crackle, FearNet, Video Detective
- Entertainment: YAHOO!, YouTube Videos, Dailymotion, Videocast.com, blip.tv
- Lifestyle & How-To: Concierge.com, eHow, Epicurious, Ford Models, GolfLink.com, Howcast, LiveStrong.com, ON networks, Style.com, Wired, Podcasts
- Music: Pandora internet radio, Slacker, Singing Fool, MyPlay
Note: BRAVIA Internet Video Requires home network with a connection speed of at least 2.5 Mbps recommended (10 Mbps for HD content). Video quality and picture size vary and are dependent upon broadband speed and delivery by content provider. Online content may require additional fees and/or PC registration. Available online content may change without notice (visit Sony.com for latest information regarding online content).
Cross Search: Cross Search allows you to easily search select BRAVIA Internet Video partners for entertainment or information related to the Blu-ray disc that you are currently viewing.
Note: Requires internet connectivity and use of BRAVIA Internet Video functionality
Gracenote Metadata Service: The Gracenote Metadata service instantly gives you access to detailed information about the movies you are watching through the Blu-ray disc player internet connectivity.
Note: Requires Internet connectivity. Some disc titles may not be supported by the Gracenote service.
BD-Live: BD-Live technology allows you to download and stream bonus content such as additional scenes, shorts, trailers, movie-based games, and more from a broadband Internet and home network connections (fees may apply). The Sony Blu-ray player features an Ethernet port to connect to the Internet via your home network and features rear-panel USB port for additional storage.
Note: You must have a minimum 1GB USB memory device inserted in the unit's rear-panel USB port in order to download content from BD-Live.
Multi-brand Remote: The supplied remote operates this unit and a Sony TV's power on/off, input select, and volume up/down. The remote is also pre-programmed with power, input, and volume controls for several other brand TVs.
HDMI Control (Bravia Sync): Sony components compatible with the HDMI Control function can be controlled via the HDMI connection. This includes convenient features like One-Touch Play and System Power-Off.
iPhone/iPod Touch Remote Compatibility: You can turn your Apple iPhone or iPod touch into a wireless remote control for the Sony BDP-S470. With a free app from the Apple iTunes Store you can operate and control your Blu-ray Disc Player as well as access detailed movie information using the Blu-ray players and iPhone/iPod touch's internet connection.
Note: Application must be downloaded from the iTunes application store. Requires that the Blu-ray Disc Player and the iPhone or iPod touch be connected to the same wireless network.
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.