Why Choose Crutchfield?
Great gear and expert advice
Our experts help you pick the ideal gear for your needs.Meet our advisors
Free tech support for the life of your gear.Read about our one-on-one expert help
You may return items that are complete and like new for any reason within 60 days.See the details of our return policy
Earn one point for every dollar you spend and use those points to save on future purchases.Get full details on Crutchfield Rewards
Deep discounts on car installation gear
We offer vehicle-specific installation instructions, dash kits, wiring harnesses, and speaker accessories at deeply discounted prices with car stereo and speaker purchases. Available for most vehicles.Learn more
Trusted since 1974
Our customers have trusted us with their business, and they’ve helped us win awards for our service.Check out our most recent awards
The manufacturer’s warranty always applies.See more details
3D Blu-ray player with Wi-Fi®
Item # 158BDPS590 | MFR # BDPS590
This item is no longer available.
Our take on the Sony BDP-S590 by Crutchfield's Marshall Chase
Add a third dimension to your movie viewing
The Sony BDP-S590 is ready for your 3D Blu-ray movies. The quandary has been that there just aren't too many movies made in 3D. This Sony Blu-ray player includes a 2D-to-3D conversion feature that adds a noticeable sense of depth to Blu-ray and DVD films with the click of a button. The BDP-S590 also upconverts your regular DVDs, so that even older movies will look amazing on your screen.
Does your remote have a nice ring to it?This player may have two or more remotes one comes in the box, and the others may be on your cellular phone plan. Thanks to a free Sony media app download, you can use your iPhone®, or compatible Android phone to control the BDP-S590 using Wi-Fi. Plus the iPad® and lots of other tablet computers work too. Either way, no roaming charges apply.
Add thousands of movies, millions of songsUse this player to stream a variety of online content, from instantly available movies on Netflix® to videos from YouTube. Or listen to Pandora® Internet radio played through your home theater speakers. And with built-in Wi-Fi you can take advantage of the 'S590's online capabilities without running Ethernet cable. You can also stream movies, pictures and music directly from your home computer. When you connect your digital camera or thumb drive to either of the player's USB ports you can share your videos or photos with friends and family on your TV screen.
The Sony BDP-S590 was easy to set up. It plays Blu Rays and DVD's well with excellent video and sound quality. It also makes my music CD's sound great. An added bonus to this unit is that it plays music from Pandora very well.
BigA, Wheeling, IL
What's in the Box:
- Single-disc Blu-ray player
- RMT-B119A wireless remote control
- 2 "AA" batteries
- 47`" Audio/Video cable (with a composite video and stereo RCA connections on each end)
- Operating Instructions
- Warranty information
- Online product registration information
- plays standard and 3D Blu-ray discs, DVDs, and CDs
- built-in Wi-Fi® to link to a wireless network
- Internet-ready plays TV shows, movies, and music from a number of sources, including Netflix®, YouTube, and Pandora® Internet radio (broadband service required; subscription required for Netflix service)
- find the latest info about this Blu-ray player's Internet apps at Sony's website (apps may vary by model)
- control the player and access detailed movie information from your iPhone®, iPad® or Android phone (requires free app)
- plays AVCHD video files recorded on HD camcorders and burned to DVD
- BRAVIA Sync simplifies remote control for compatible Sony TVs and components via the HDMI connection (HDMI-CEC)
- remote control
- selectable video resolution up to 1080p via HDMI output
- video upconversion for DVD (via HDMI)
- 2D-to-3D conversion adds 3D-like depth to non-3D Blu-ray and DVD movies
- built-in audio decoding for Dolby® Digital, Dolby Digital Plus, Dolby TrueHD, DTS, DTS-HD, and DTS-HD Master Audio
- high-resolution audio can be decoded in the player or in your compatible receiver (HDMI connection required)
- video outputs include composite video and HDMI
- audio outputs include stereo, optical digital and coaxial digital
- Ethernet port for Internet connectivity
- USB port lets you share media from a compatible camera or thumb drive
- 16-15/16"W x 1-5/8"H x 8-7/16"D
- weight: 3.3 lbs.
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
Sony BDP-S590 Reviews
Average Customer Review(s):
Thanks for submitting your review
Features and Specs
|Surround Sound Decoding||
Dolby Digital Plus
DTS-HD High Resolution Audio
DTS-HD Master Audio
|4K Ultra HD|
|Internet Movie Streaming||Netflix 5.1,Hulu,Vudu,YouTube|
|Smartphone App Control||Yes|
|DVD Video Upconversion||720p, 1080i, 1080p|
|Parts Warranty||1 Year|
|Labor Warranty||1 Year|
|Digital Optical Output||1|
|Digital Coaxial Output||1|
|Analog Audio Outputs||1|
|1080p Video Output||Yes|
|Component Video Outputs||None|
Disc Compatibility: The Sony BDP-S590 Blu-ray disc player is compatible with many disc types:
|Disc Type||Disc Description|
|Blu-ray||BD-ROM, BD-3D, BD-R (ver.1.1/1.2/1.3), BD-RE (ver.2.1)|
|DVD||DVD-Video, DVD-R, DVD-RW, DVD+R, DVD+RW|
|CD||CD-Audio, CD-ROM, CD-R, CD-RW, SACD|
Blu-ray Disc Overview: Blu-ray Disc (BD) is a new high-definition disc format designed to take advantage of today's high quality HDTVs. The resolution is up to 1920 x 1080 (1080p) and the data transfer rate is up to 54 mbps. Blu-ray Disc discs and players offer several advantages over the standard DVD format:
- Better Picture Quality: Blu-ray Disc is a true high-definition format offering video at 720p, 1080i, or 1080p resolution. While standard DVDs look very good on an HDTV, they don't provide a high-definition signal (not even when you use an up-converting DVD player). Blu-ray Disc delivers an extraordinarily sharp, clean, detailed picture, with deeper, richer colors.
- Better Sound Quality: In addition to the same multi-channel sound formats you're accustomed to with DVD (Dolby Digital and DTS), Blu-ray Disc offers Dolby TrueHD, Dolby Digital Plus, DTS-HD Master Audio, DTS-HD High Resolution, and uncompressed 7.1 channel PCM.
- Greater Storage Capacity: What makes Blu-ray Disc's superior picture and sound possible is the much higher storage capacity of Blu-ray Disc discs. A single-layer Blu-ray Disc can hold 25 gigabytes of data, over five times the amount a standard DVD can hold. Dual-layer Blu-ray Discs hold 50 gigabytes, which equates to nine hours of High Definition or 23 hours of Standard Definition video, plus high-resolution multi-channel audio and the added features and material that require multiple discs with standard DVD.
- Backward Compatible: To ensure backward-compatibility with your existing library of discs, Blu-ray Disc players use a dual-laser mechanism: a blue laser for playing high-definition Blu-ray Discs, and a conventional red laser for playing DVDs and audio CDs.
Note: Like DVD, BD uses region codes. The region code on your disc must match the region code on your player, otherwise the disc will not play. The BDP-S590 is Blu-ray region A and DVD region 1. Blu-ray Disc uses the Advanced Access Content System (AACS) to prevent unauthorized recording of copyrighted material.
Firmware Updates: As Blu-Ray technology continues to evolve, new disc types with enhanced functionality will become available. In order for you to enjoy this new functionality, you will likely be required to update the firmware in your player. These firmware updates will become available for downloading from the Internet. Occasionally, Sony may release updated firmware for this unit that may add or improve the way a feature operates. These updates are available free of charge. This unit is capable of checking the firmware automatically when connected to the Internet via broadband connection.
Note: The tested Sony BDP-S590 Blu-ray player contained firmware version M12.R0161 (as of 4/18/2012). There was an immediate firmware upgrade (M12.R0320) available. Visit the Sony eSupport Site for the latest firmware update information.
AVCHD: AVCHD (MPEG-4 AVC/H.264) is a high definition digital video camera format used to record in high definition or standard definition on DVD, using an efficient data compression coding technology. The format is designed to compress video and audio (Dolby Digital or Linear PCM) data, enabling a high definition video signal shot on a digital video camera recorder to be recorded on DVD discs, in the same way as it would be for a standard definition signal.
MPEG Playback: The Sony Blu-ray disc player supports playback of MPEG (1-2-4) video files recorded on BD-RE, BD-R, DVD+RW, DVD+R, DVD-RW, DVD-R, CD-R, and CD-RW discs.
Still-Image Playback: This unit will play JPEG/GIF/PNG/MPO still picture files recorded onto BD-RE, BD-R, DVD+RW, DVD+R, DVD-RW, DVD-R, CD-R, and CD-RW discs. Still images on your disc can be viewed in a Slide-Show as well as rotated 90-degrees left or right.
MP3/WMA/AAC Playback: The BDP-S590 supports MP3/WMA/AAC audio files recorded on BD-R/RE, DVD-R/RW, DVD+R/RW, and CD-R/RW discs. When stopped and restarted, playback resumes at the same point as long as the tray hasn't been opened and the player hasn't been turned off.
SACD: Super Audio CD use a technology called Direct Stream Digital (DSD) to convert music into a digital signal that can be stored on a disc. Compared to the traditional PCM method (the technology used for CD), DSD offers a much higher resolution by following more closely the original waveform of music. With a frequency response of over 100kHz and a dynamic range over 120dB across the audible frequency range - some 64 times higher resolution then CD - Super Audio CD offers music reproduction that reveals details you just cannot hear on a normal CD.
Video Outputs: The Sony BDP-S590 Blu-ray disc player features one high-definition HDMI output and one standard-definition composite video output.
- HDMI (ver.1.4): The BDP-S590's HDMI output simplifies A/V connections by carrying video and digital audio in one cable. The HDMI resolution can be fixed at 480i, 480p, 720p, 1080i, or 1080p, or set to Auto, which selects the highest resolution accepted by your television.
- Composite Video: The composite video output will only output 480i, no matter the source.
Note: This player does not offer a component or S-video output.
Precision Cinema HD Upscaling: Through the HDMI output, the BDP-S590 is capable of upscaling the resolution of your standard DVDs. Output options include Auto (highest resolution accepted by the TV), 1080p (60 Hz video or 24 Hz), 1080i, or 720p. If necessary the output resolution can also be set to 480p or 480i.
24p True Cinema: Movies are typically recorded on film with a frame rate of 24 frames per second. When a movie is transferred to Blu-ray Disc at 24 frames per second the BDP-S590 will output that signal to the TV (if the TV will accept the 1080p/24 format) with no need for conversion.
3D-Ready with 2D-3D Conversion: The Sony BDP-S590 lets you enjoy 3D Blu-ray disc movies in full HD 1080p. 3D viewing requires compatible 3D content, 3D-ready HDTV, 3D emitter & glasses, and a high-speed HDMI cable (supporting at least 10.2 Gbps) connection. The Sony BDP-S590 can also convert 2D (two-dimensional) video content into simulated 3D (three-dimensional) video when connected to a 3D-ready TV, with 3D-glasses. You can make adjustments to the 3D effect and 3D depth.
Deep Color: The Sony Blu-ray player supports a color depth of up to 12 bits. Connecting the player and a TV that supports Deep Color via HDMI allows more accurate color reproduction than when connecting it to a TV that does not support Deep Color. The Deep Color function can be set to 10-bit, 12-bit, Auto, or Off.
x.v.Color: The BDP-S590 supports x.v.Color, meaning it's ready for x.v.Color discs when they become available in the future.
Screen Settings: The Sony BDP-S590 features the following screen settings:
- TV Type: You can select a 16:9 or 4:3 aspect ratio for the unit's video output to match your connected Television's screen aspect ratio.
- Screen Format: You can select the
display configuration for a 4:3 screen picture on a 16:9
wide screen television. You can select from the following:
- Original: select when connected to a TV with a wide mode function; displays a 4:3 screen picture in 16:9 aspect ratio even on a wide-screen TV
- Fixed Aspect Ratio: changes the picture size to fit the screen size with the original picture aspect ratio
- DVD Aspect Ratio: You can select the display configuration for playback of 16:9 screen pictures on a 4:3 screen TV. You can select from Letter Box or Pan & Scan.
Video Settings: The BDP-S590 offers the following video adjustments:
- Picture Quality Mode: You can select from 3 preset pictures settings (Standard, Brighter, Theater) for different lighting environment.
- BNR: Reduces the mosaic-like block noise in the picture.
- MNR: Reduces minor noise around the picture outlines (mosquito noise)
- I/P Noise Reduction: Improves the picture quality of Internet entertainment.
Cinema Conversion Mode: The Sony Blu-ray player offers two Cinema Conversion Modes - Auto & Video.
- Auto: The player automatically detects whether the material is video-based or film-based, and switches to the appropriate conversion method.
- Video: The conversion method suited for video-based material will always be selected regardless of the content.
BonusView: The BonusView feature provides picture-in-picture capability with select Blu-ray Disc titles. You can view addition content (such as director/actor commentary) in a small display window while the movie is playing.
Surround Sound Decoders: The BDP-S590 has built-in Dolby Digital and DTS surround processors; multi-channel PCM Dolby Digital Plus, Dolby TrueHD, DTS-HD High Resolution, and DTS-HD Master Audio are output through the HDMI jack (when encoded on the Blu-ray Disc).
- Dolby Digital Plus: Dolby Digital Plus was developed as an extension to Dolby Digital. The audio coding technology supports 7.1 channel surround sound. Dolby Digital Plus also includes the standard Dolby Digital bit stream and is compatible with all current Dolby Digital processors using the coaxial digital output.
- Dolby TrueHD: Dolby TrueHD is a lossless coding technology that supports up to 8 channels of multi-channel surround sound for the next generation optical discs. The reproduced sound is true to the original source bit-for-bit.
- DTS-HD High Resolution Audio: DTS-HD High Resolution Audio supports a maximum sampling frequency of 96 kHz, and 7.1 multi-channel surround. DTS-HD High Resolution Audio has a maximum transmission rate of 6 Mbps, with a lossy compression.
- DTS-HD Master Audio: DTS-HD Master Audio has a maximum transmission rate of 24.5 Mbps and uses lossless compression (Lossless), and DTS-HD Master Audio corresponds to a maximum sampling frequency of 192 kHz, and maximum of 7.1ch.
Note: Dolby Digital Plus, Dolby TrueHD, & DTS-HD are only output via the player's HDMI output.
DTS Neo:6: This surround sound setting outputs simulated multichannel sound from 2 channel sources via the player's HDMI output.
Audio Settings: The BDP-S590 allows you to adjust the following audio settings:
- AV SYNC: synchronize the picture and sound by delaying the audio output in relation to the picture output; 0 to 120 milliseconds
- Audio DRC: The player offers three dynamic range compression levels - Auto, On, Off.
Audio Outputs: The Sony BDP-S590 Blu-ray disc player features two digital audio outputs (coaxial/optical) and one analog RCA stereo audio output.
- Digital Audio Outputs: The BDP-S590 is equipped with two digital audio outputs (coaxial & optical). The Audio menu allows you to select the digital audio format that is passed through the digital output. Settings allow you to transfer Dolby Digital and/or DTS sound tracks, or down-mix surround bitstreams to 2-channel PCM audio.
- Analog Audio: There is also a pair of stereo analog RCA outputs.
Wired or Wireless Network Connection: The Sony BDP-S590 Blu-ray player supports a wired or wireless network connection. Via the Blu-ray player's network connection your can enjoy music, video, and still-image files stored on your computer. You can also listen to internet radio and watch online movies, via the Bravia Entertainment Network.
- Ethernet (LAN) Jack: The Sony BDP-S590 Blu-ray player is equipped with an Ethernet (LAN) RJ-45 jack for connecting the player to your home network and computer.
- Built-in Wireless LAN: The Sony Blu-ray player also features built-in WiFi which allows you to wirelessly access the Internet and your home network. The Blu-ray player's built-in WiFi provides a wireless network connection for the player with easy and quick setup. With this feature, you can easily connect to a wireless LAN and enjoy the benefits of networking in a cable-free environment. A wireless connection requires a home network with an 802.11 access point (802.11n recommended) and internet connection. Supports WPS, WEP, and WPA security.
Bravia Entertainment Network: Once the Sony BDP-S590 has been connected to your home network (via Ethernet or WiFi), you can have your favorite internet content delivered to the Sony Blu-ray player via Bravia Internet Video or the built-in web browse. You can stream movies, videos, music, and more with Bravia Internet Video; while the built-in web-browser lets you search on-line content by URL.
- Bravia Internet Video: Bravia Internet Video serves as a gateway to online audio/video content, delivering a variety of on-demand entertainment straight to the Sony Blu-ray player. Bravia Internet TV allows you to instantly stream a wide variety of movies, TV episodes, videos, and music from a large selection of entertainment apps.
- Opera Internet Browser: The built-in Opera Internet Browser allows you to access select web content through the Sony Blu-ray player. Using the Opera Internet Browser, you gain access to Sony.com and Gracenote Music Services. The built-in internet browser also allows you to do basic keyword searches, so you can browse other select websites (text-based only). The Opera Internet Browser is not a full search engine for the Internet and Web. For Internet audio/video/photo content, use Sony's Bravia Internet Video service. Some web-pages maybe too large for download.
Bravia Network Entertainment Library: Currently the Bravia Network Entertainment Library contains the following online content and widgets. (as of 4/18/2012).
|Bravia Internet Video|
|Movies||Video Unlimited: Video Unlimited is the ultimate source for the latest hit movies, classics and TV shows from every major studio. Forget monthly subscriptions or late fees. Watch what you want, when you want. Buy or rent titles in SD, 1080p HD or 3D (select titles) up to 28 days before Netflix or Redbox.|
|Netflix 5.1: Unlimited Movies & TV episodes: For only $7.99 a month, instantly watch unlimited movies & TV episodes streaming over the Internet to your Sony TV.|
|Hulu+: Hulu Plus lets you watch current hit TV shows, classic series, and acclaimed movies anytime in HD for $7.99/month with limited advertising.|
|Vudu: Vudu is an HD on-demand movie service. With over 3,000 movies available on-demand in streaming 1080p, VUDU offers you the world's largest HD movie catalog. You can watch new movies on Vudu the same day they're released on DVD. Vudu delivers 1080p vide with 5.1ch surround sound. There is no monthly subscription fee. Pay for only the movies you want to watch.|
|Flixster: Get the hottest new movie trailers from Flixster.|
|Amazon Instant Video: Amazon Instant Video lets you search, browse and rent your favorites instantly, right from your couch. Choose from over 90,000 movies and TV shows, including the latest new releases|
|SnagFilms: The best Indie movies on demand.|
|CinemaNow: CinemaNow is a digital entertainment service that offers instant access to an extensive library of premium video content for rental or purchase, including new release movies and TV shows, with no subscription required.|
|Crackle: The next-generation video entertainment network with hundreds of movies, TV shows and original series from the vast Sony Pictures library.|
|Music||Music Unlimited: Music Unlimited offers you unlimited access to millions of songs from every major label. Forget syncing MP3 files across multiple devices; simply connect to the cloud to instantly experience the music you love anytime, anyplace. Enjoy timeless favorites or dare to try something new; all without paying for each track or album.|
|Pandora: Free, personalized internet radio playing only music you love. Pandora brings an effortless personal soundtrack into your living room. Enter your favorite artists and enjoy stations created just for you. Rate songs as they play, because Pandora caters to your tastes and adapts stations to your feedback on the spot.|
|Slacker: Slacker is a free personalized radio service with millions of songs from thousands of artists. Simply select your favorite type of music from one of over 120 expert-programmed genre stations. As you listen, give feedback and the station becomes personalized just for you.|
|Singing Fool: The Singing Fool music video collection: rock, pop, rap, R&B, country and more. Thousands of titles means there's something for everyone on Singing Fool.|
|Berliner Philharmoniker: Enjoy one of the world's best orchestras directly from your connected Sony TV.|
|MoshCam.com: Over 800 full length concert videos recorded in Sydney, Australia's leading music venues including Jane's Addiction, Gary Numan, Ben Harper, John Butler Trio, The Hives, Blondie, Jarvis Cocker, Public Enemy and many more.|
|Social Media||YouTube: The world's most popular online destination, comes to your Sony Connected Device. This forum allows people to discover and watch millions of originally-created videos.|
|Facebook: Millions of people use Facebook everyday to keep up with friends, upload an unlimited number of photos, share links and videos, and learn more about the people they meet.|
|Sports||XOS College Sports: Offers the largest digital library of college sports content, spanning 75+ years of competition. Watch full games, original programming, season highlights and documentaries both past and present. All the best conferences, teams and sports are here.|
|NHL Vault: Gives you access to over 800 classic games, as well as full length and condensed game replays with no blackouts.|
|GolfLink.com: Built for golfers, and covering over 21,000 courses, Golflink.com brings you everything you need to track and improve your game.|
|Billabong's: Snow, Surf, Skate and Wake action from around the globe, featuring Billabong's all-star athletes, swimwear and fashion models.|
|Lifestyle||AOL HD: Watch the latest in technology from Engadget and TechCrunch, catch up on the latest celebrity gossip from Huffington Post, preview the latest movies from Moviefone, or even learn how to cook like a pro from personalities such as Curtis Stone, Sam Talbot and Gail Simmons - all from AOL HD.|
|eHow: Watch the latest videos from Howcast, your source for the best how-to videos. From how to write a resume - to how to survive a bear attack, Howcast shows you how to do just about anything; wherever and whenever you want to know how.|
|Dr. Oz: Entertaining, high octane, multi-topic hour that is equal parts life-saving information combined with an "embarrassment-free zone" sensibility where nothing is off limits or out of bounds. The show is all about what impacts viewers, their families, their health and their well-being.|
|Livestrong: The destination for health, fitness and lifestyle videos. Take responsibility and live an active, healthy lifestyle every day.|
|Tara Stiles: Useful and fun yoga routines for everyone.|
|Style.com: The definitive voice of fashion online, providing comprehensive coverage of the major fashion shows and authoritative reports on seasonal trends.|
|elgourmet.com: With original contents for those who know how to enjoy the pleasures of life, elgourmet.com offers 24 hrs of uninterrupted programming for experts in fine living.|
|Epicurious: Learn how to prepare dishes from around the world, tour celebrity kitchens and get tips on entertaining.|
|WealthTV: WealthTV is the premier luxury lifestyle and entertainment cable network that gives you a vicarious look into the American Dream. From the fastest cars to the most exotic destinations, WealthTV allows you to travel the world and live the good life without having to leave your living room.|
|uStudio: Professionally-produced video clips and how-to videos. Named 'Best of Web' by BusinessWeek readers in 2008.|
|DailyMotion: Engages your world with video of your interests and hobbies, eyewitness accounts of recent news and distant places and everything else from strange to spectacular.|
|News||NPR: Acclaimed audio podcasts from National Public Radio featuring news, talk, and entertainment.|
|NewsLook: Whether you're interested in anything ranging from World News and US Politics to Recipes and Celebrity Gossip, NewsLook's topic based video RSS reader has everything you're looking for available in real time. Watch news on the go or from the comfort of your home on your connected Sony TV.|
|Opera Internet Brower|
|Opera Internet Brower||Sony.com: Access to Sony official website|
|Gracenote Music Service: Links to the Gracenote Music Service which contains more than five million tracks for identification and recommendations.|
|URL Searches: Browse the internet via keyword & URL searches.|
Note: Visit the Sony Entertainment Network for the latest internet content. Bravia Internet Video Requires home network with a connection speed of at least 2.5 Mbps recommended (10 Mbps for HD content). Video quality and picture size vary and are dependent upon broadband speed and delivery by content provider. Online content may require additional fees and/or PC registration. Available online content may change without notice (visit Sony.com for latest information regarding online content).
DLNA Certified: DLNA certification allows you to enjoy various content from your home network, such as photo (JPEG/PNG/GIF), music (MP3/WMA/AAC/LPCM), and video (AVCHD/MPEG) files stored on your Windows 7 PC (or other DLNA Certified media server) through the Sony BDP-S590. The Blu-ray player can be connected to your compatible PC using a hardwired Ethernet (LAN) connection or Wi-Fi connection (via built-in WiFi). This eliminates the need to copy your photo, video, and music files to a separate USB storage device.
Party Streaming: You can play music in other rooms simultaneously by connecting Sony products which are compatible with DLNA and the Party Streaming function.
Gracenote Metadata Service: The Gracenote Metadata service instantly gives you access to detailed information about the movies you are watching through the Blu-ray disc player internet connectivity. This easy-to-navigate service displays information such as cast information, genre, jacket art and more right on the TV screen. You can also access select internet apps including YouTube and Qriocity to find related entertainment
Note: Requires Internet connectivity. Some disc titles may not be supported by the Gracenote service.
BD-Live: BD-Live technology allows you to download and stream bonus content such as additional scenes, shorts, trailers, movie-based games, and more from a broadband Internet and home network connections (fees may apply). The Sony Blu-ray player features an Ethernet port to connect to the Internet via your home network & features front-panel USB port for additional storage.
Note: You must have a minimum 1GB USB memory device inserted in the unit's rear-panel USB port in order to download content from BD-Live.
Dual USB Port: The Blu-ray player's front- & rear-panel USB (type-A) ports allow you to play photo (JPEG/PNG/GIF/MPO), videos (AVCHD/MPEG), & music (MP3/WMA/AAC/LPCM) files on a connected USB device. The player can recognize Mass Storage Class (MSC) Devices that are FAT-compatible and Still Image Capture Devices (SICD) class devices. The player can recognize up to 5 folders and 500 files per folder. The USB ports also allow you to enjoy additional content (such as BonusView) on certain Blue-ray Disc titles. Some BD-ROMs have bonus content & other data which can be downloaded to an inserted USB Flash Drive (minimum 1 GB recommended, sold separately).
Note: Not all USB devices are supported. The player also supports USB 101 keyboards.
Quick Start: Quick Start speeds up the load time on movies, so discs start faster after they're inserted into the Blu-ray player. The Sony Blu-ray player has a start-up time of approximately 3.1 seconds in Quick Start mode (29.1 seconds in normal mode). In Quick Start mode, it takes approximately 24.3 seconds for a Blu-ray disc to begin playback (49.7 seconds in normal mode).
Note: The Start Up/Play Back Time tests were started with the Blu-ray player initially turned off & in standby mode. The Start Up Time test was stopped when the player's Home Menu screen appeared. The Play Back Time test was stopped when the Blu-ray disc began playback.
On-Screen Display: The Sony BDP-S590 provides an OSD via its HDMI or composite video output. The on-screen text can be set to English, French, Spanish, or Portuguese. The player also features a single-line front-panel display.
Auto Display: The player automatically displays information on your TV screen when changing the viewing titles, picture modes, audio signals, etc..
Screen Saver: The screen saver image appears when you do not use the player for more than 10 minutes while an on-screen display, such as the home menu, is displayed on your TV screen. The screen saver image helps prevent your display devices from becoming damaged.
Parental Control: The Sony BDP-S590 offers Parental Control settings to limit BD, DVD, and streamed Internet video according to the age of the users. You can also Allow or Block all unrated Internet video. The control settings are protected by a custom 4-digit password. You can also lock the disc tray to prevent it from being opened by mistake.
ENERGY STAR Compliant: The Sony BDP-S590 Blu-ray player meets Energy Star 2.0 standards. Electric power consumption is significantly reduced during both use & standby.
Multi-brand Remote: The supplied remote operates the Blu-ray player & a Sony TV's power on/off, input select, and volume up/down. The remote is also pre-programmed with power, input, & volume controls for several other brand TVs. The IR remote also includes a dedicated Netflix button so you can access your on-line Netflix movies with a single press of a button.
HDMI Control (Bravia Sync): Sony components compatible with the HDMI Control function can be controlled via the HDMI connection. This includes convenient features like One-Touch Play & System Power-Off.
Mobile Device Control: You can turn your Sony Tablet, iPod touch, iPhone, iPad (running iOS 4.0+), or compatible Android smartphone (2.1+) into a versatile remote when you download the free MediaRemote app for Apple iOS devices, Android devices, or Sony Tablets. The Media Remote app requires that the Sony Blu-ray player and Apple iOS, Android, or Sony remote device be connected to the same wireless network with the remote device connected through an 802.11 access point (802.11n recommended). Enjoy complete remote function, as well as full QWERTY keyboard.
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.