Why Choose Crutchfield?
Great gear and expert advice
Our experts help you pick the ideal gear for your needs.Meet our advisors
Free tech support for the life of your gear.Read about our one-on-one expert help
You may return items that are complete and like new for any reason within 60 days.See the details of our return policy
Earn one point for every dollar you spend and use those points to save on future purchases.Get full details on Crutchfield Rewards
Deep discounts on car installation gear
We offer vehicle-specific installation instructions, dash kits, wiring harnesses, and speaker accessories at deeply discounted prices with car stereo and speaker purchases. Available for most vehicles.Learn more
Trusted since 1974
Our customers have trusted us with their business, and they’ve helped us win awards for our service.Check out our most recent awards
The manufacturer’s warranty always applies.See more details
Internet-ready 3D Blu-ray home theater system with iPod® dock, built-in Wi-Fi®, and wireless rear speakers
Item # 158BDV790W | MFR # BDVN790W
This item is no longer available.
Our take on the Sony BDV-N790W by Crutchfield's Marshall Chase
Sony's one-stop home audio solution
If you're looking for a complete home theater system, you could shop for a Blu-ray player, a home theater receiver, a matching iPod® dock, speakers and a powered sub all separately or you can get the Sony BDV-N790W. Sony built this system for great performance, easy setup, and simple operation.
Outstanding Blu-ray picture and sound quality
The receiver's built-in Blu-ray player delivers a stunning high-definition picture that'll look great on your HDTV. Enjoy exciting 3D images with a compatible TV when you play 3D Blu-ray discs. This system supports the highest-quality surround sound formats, like Dolby® TrueHD and DTS-HD® Master Audio, for realistic wraparound sound to match the picture. And it includes a built-in iPod dock, so you can enjoy easy access to your digital music collection.
Quench your entertainment thirst at the digital stream
The 'N790W lets you stream online movies from services like Netflix® and music from services like Pandora® Internet radio right to your living room via a broadband Internet connection. Now you'll never run out of things to watch or listen to. To get started, just hook the receiver up to your existing home network with an Ethernet cable or use the built-in Wi-Fi®.
Convenient wireless rear speakers
Some living rooms present a real challenge when it comes to installing the rear speakers in a surround sound setup. The 'N790W comes with a wireless amplified module that makes connecting the two back speakers a whole lot simpler. Plug the module into an outlet close to where you'll place the back speakers. Then connect the speakers with the included wire. The best part is there'll be no more wires running from the front to the back of your room.
You'll be able to finish your installation with just a few simple connections. Plug the player/receiver into your TV with an HDMI cable, and connect the three remaining speakers and subwoofer using the included speaker wire. Dual HDMI input adds the convenience of switching between Blu-ray and two more HD sources.
Very easy system to setup. Really good sound that the wireless rear speakers saved us a ton of wiring expose through out the room and has an automatic sound adjustment feature that uses a set of microphones hooked into the system - very very accurate
What's in the Box:
- Integrated Blu-ray receiver (HBD-N790W)
- Surround amplifier (TA-SA300WR)
- 2 Wireless transceivers (EZW-RT50)
- 2 Front speakers (SS-TSB112)
- 2 Surround speakers (SS-TSB111)
- Center speaker (SS-CTB111)
- Subwoofer (SS-WSB111) with attached 10' speaker wire
- Auto setup microphone
- Remote control (RM-ADP072)
- 2 "AA" batteries
- iPod dock (TDM-iP30)
- 31" miniUSB-to-USB cable
- 4' Composite video cable
- One 6.5' length of speaker wire for center-channel (with bare-tinned wire on one end and a proprietary connector on other end)
- Two 9.75' lengths of speaker wire for fronts (with bare-tinned wire on one end and a proprietary connector on other end)
- Two 16.5' lengths of speaker wire for surrounds (with bare-tinned wire on one end and a proprietary connector on other end)
- FM wire antenna
- Operating Instructions (En)
- Operating Instructions (Sp)
- Quick Setup Guide (En/Fr/Sp)
- Speaker Installation Guide
- Limited Warranty
- Online Product Registration
- powered home theater system with 3D Blu-ray player/receiver, 5 speakers (including wireless rear speakers), and a subwoofer
- Internet-ready plays TV shows, movies, and music from a number of sources, including Netflix®, YouTube, Pandora®, and Slacker® (broadband service required; subscription required for Netflix service)
- find out the latest info about this system's Internet apps at Sony's website
- learn more about the Sony Entertainment Network
- Wi-Fi® capability built in
- iPod®/iPhone® dock included
- streams photos/videos/music from a compatible DLNA-enabled Windows® PC
- 2 USB inputs for connecting a digital camera, MP3 player or thumb drive
- BRAVIA® Theatre Sync simplifies remote operation for compatible Sony TVs and components via the HDMI connection (HDMI-CEC)
- control the player and access detailed movie information from your iPhone, iPad® or compatible Android phone (requires free app)
- Digital Cinema Auto Calibration for easy setup (microphone included)
- speaker wire and remote control included
- viewing high-definition 3D Blu-ray content requires a 3D-compatible HDTV and 3D glasses
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- plays 3D Blu-ray discs, standard Blu-ray discs, DVDs, CDs, MP3 CDs, and JPEG CDs
- plays AVCHD video files recorded on HD camcorders and burned to DVD
- selectable video resolution up to 1080p via HDMI output
- video upconversion for DVD (via HDMI)
- built-in Dolby® Digital, Dolby Pro Logic® II, Dolby TrueHD, DTS®, DTS-ES, and DTS-HD audio processing
- 6-channel amplifier (125 watts x 4 for speakers, 250 watts x 1 for center channel and 250 watts for subwoofer)
- 2 HDMI inputs
- audio inputs include analog RCA stereo and optical digital
- video output for TV includes composite and HDMI
- receiver: 18-1/8"W x 2-15/16"H x 9-3/4"D
- front speakers: 3-7/8"W x 12-9/16"H x 4"D (each)
- center channel speaker: 13-1/16"W x 2-3/16"H x 2-1/4"D
- rear speakers: 3-7/8"W x 10-1/16"H x 3-9/16"D (each)
- wireless surround module: 8-1/16"W × 2-3/16"H × 9-3/16"D
- subwoofer: 7-1/2W x 12-7/8"H x 14-9/16"D
Sony BDV-N790W Reviews
Average Customer Review(s):
Thanks for submitting your review
Disc Compatibility: The Sony BDV-N790W Blu-ray Home Theater System is compatible with many disc types.
|Disc Type||Disc Description|
|Blu-ray||BD-ROM, BD-3D, BD-R (ver.1.1/1.2/1.3), BD-RE (ver.2.1)|
|DVD||DVD-Video, DVD-R, DVD-RW, DVD+R, DVD+RW|
|CD||CD-Audio, CD-ROM, CD-R, CD-RW, SACD|
Blu-ray Disc Overview: Blu-ray Disc (BD) is a new high-definition disc format designed to take advantage of today's high quality HDTVs. The resolution is up to 1920 x 1080 (1080p) and the data transfer rate is up to 54 mbps. Blu-ray Disc discs and Home Theater Systems offer several advantages over the standard DVD format:
- Better Picture Quality: Blu-ray Disc is a true high-definition format offering video at 720p, 1080i, or 1080p resolution. While standard DVDs look very good on an HDTV, they don't provide a high-definition signal (not even when you use an up-converting DVD Home Theater System). Blu-ray Disc delivers an extraordinarily sharp, clean, detailed picture, with deeper, richer colors.
- Better Sound Quality: In addition to the same multi-channel sound formats you're accustomed to with DVD (Dolby Digital and DTS), Blu-ray Disc offers Dolby TrueHD, Dolby Digital Plus, DTS-HD Master Audio, DTS-HD High Resolution, and uncompressed 7.1 channel PCM.
- Greater Storage Capacity: What makes Blu-ray Disc's superior picture and sound possible is the much higher storage capacity of Blu-ray Disc discs. A single-layer Blu-ray Disc can hold 25 gigabytes of data, over five times the amount a standard DVD can hold. Dual-layer Blu-ray Discs hold 50 gigabytes, which equates to nine hours of High Definition or 23 hours of Standard Definition video, plus high-resolution multi-channel audio and the added features and material that require multiple discs with standard DVD.
- Backward Compatible: To ensure backward-compatibility with your existing library of discs, Blu-ray Disc Home Theater Systems use a dual-laser mechanism: a blue laser for playing high-definition Blu-ray Discs, and a conventional red laser for playing DVDs and audio CDs.
Note: Like DVD, BD uses region codes. The region code on your disc must match the region code on your Home Theater System, otherwise the disc will not play. The BDV-N790W is Blu-ray region A and DVD region 1. Blu-ray Disc uses the Advanced Access Content System (AACS) to prevent unauthorized recording of copyrighted material.
Firmware Updates: As Blu-Ray technology continues to evolve, new disc types with enhanced functionality will become available. In order for you to enjoy this new functionality, you will likely be required to update the firmware in your Home Theater System. These firmware updates will become available for downloading from the Internet. Occasionally, Sony may release updated firmware for this unit that may add or improve the way a feature operates. These updates are available free of charge. This unit is capable of checking the firmware automatically when connected to the Internet via broadband connection.
Note: The tested Sony contained firmware version M13.R.0203 (as of 5/17/2012). There was an immediate firmware upgrade (M13.R.0330) available. Visit the Sony eSupport Site for the latest firmware update information.
AVCHD: AVCHD (MPEG-4 AVC/H.264) is a high definition digital video camera format used to record in high definition or standard definition on DVD, using an efficient data compression coding technology. The format is designed to compress video and audio (Dolby Digital or Linear PCM) data, enabling a high definition video signal shot on a digital video camera recorder to be recorded on DVD discs, in the same way as it would be for a standard definition signal.
MPEG Playback: The Sony Blu-ray disc Home Theater System supports playback of MPEG (1-2-4) video files recorded on BD-RE, BD-R, DVD+RW, DVD+R, DVD-RW, DVD-R, CD-R, and CD-RW discs.
Still-Image Playback: This unit will play JPEG/GIF/PNG/MPO still picture files recorded onto BD-RE, BD-R, DVD+RW, DVD+R, DVD-RW, DVD-R, CD-R, and CD-RW discs. Still images on your disc can be viewed in a Slide-Show as well as rotated 90-degrees left or right.
MP3/WMA/AAC Playback: The BDV-N790W supports MP3/WMA/AAC audio files recorded on BD-R/RE, DVD-R/RW, DVD+R/RW, and CD-R/RW discs. When stopped and restarted, playback resumes at the same point as long as the tray hasn't been opened and the Home Theater System hasn't been turned off.
SACD: Super Audio CD use a technology called Direct Stream Digital (DSD) to convert music into a digital signal that can be stored on a disc. Compared to the traditional PCM method (the technology used for CD), DSD offers a much higher resolution by following more closely the original waveform of music. With a frequency response of over 100kHz and a dynamic range over 120dB across the audible frequency range - some 64 times higher resolution then CD - Super Audio CD offers music reproduction that reveals details you just cannot hear on a normal CD.
Dual HDMI Inputs: The Sony BDV-N790W is equipped with two HDMI (ver.1.4) inputs to let you connect a high-definition satellite receiver/cable box or game system for high definition video and audio. Both HDMI inputs are capable of carrying uncompressed digital audio (up to 5.1ch) and video up to 1080p, as well a 3D content.
Note: Video signals from the HDMI inputs are only sent out through the unit's HDMI output to your television. There are no composite, S-video, or component video inputs.
Video Outputs: The Sony BDV-N790W features two high-definition video outputs (HDMI) and one standard-definition video output (composite).
- HDMI (ver.1.4): The BDV-N790W's HDMI output simplifies A/V connections by carrying video and digital audio in one cable. The HDMI resolution can be set to 480i, 480p, 720p, 1080i, or 1080p, or set to Auto, which selects the highest resolution accepted by your television. The HDMI video output support 3D, ARC, Deep Color, and x.v.Color.
- Composite Video: The composite video output will only output 480i, no matter the source.
Note: Video signals from the BDV-N790W's HDMI inputs are only sent out through the unit's HDMI output to your television. You cannot output video from the receiver's HDMI inputs through the unit's composite video outputs. This unit does not offer a component or S-video output.
3D-Ready with 2D-3D Conversion: The Sony BDV-790W lets you enjoy 3D Blu-ray disc movies in full HD 1080p. 3D viewing requires compatible 3D content, 3D-ready HDTV, 3D emitter & glasses, and a high-speed HDMI cable (supporting at least 10.2 Gbps) connection. The Sony BDV-790W can also convert 2D (two-dimensional) video content into simulated 3D (three-dimensional) video when connected to a 3D-ready TV, with 3D-glasses. You can make adjustments to the 3D effect and 3D depth.
1080p HDMI Output with DVD Upscaling: Through the HDMI output, the BDV-N790W is capable of upscaling the resolution of your standard DVDs. Output options include Auto (highest resolution accepted by the TV), 1080p (60 Hz video or 24 Hz), 1080i, or 720p. If necessary the output resolution can also be set to 480p or 480i.
24p True Cinema: Movies are typically recorded on film with a frame rate of 24 frames per second. When a movie is transferred to Blu-ray Disc at 24 frames per second the BDV-N790W will output that signal to the TV (if the TV will accept the 1080p/24 format) with no need for conversion.
Deep Color: The Sony BDV-N790W supports a color depth of up to 12 bits. Connecting the unit and a TV that supports Deep Color via HDMI allows more accurate color reproduction than when connecting it to a TV that does not support Deep Color. The Deep Color function can be set to 10-bit, 12-bit, Auto, or Off.
x.v.Color: The BDV-N790W supports x.v.Color, offering a wider color range than the current broadcast standard. For the x.v.Color feature to be useful, the entire video production chain must be compatible (camera-editing-format-Home Theater System-display).
Screen Settings: The Sony BDV-N790W features the following screen settings:
- TV Type: You can select a 16:9 or 4:3 aspect ratio for the unit's video output to match your connected Television's screen aspect ratio.
- Screen Format: You can select the display configuration
for a 4:3 screen picture on a 16:9 wide screen television. You can select
from the following:
- Original: select when connected to a TV with a wide mode function; displays a 4:3 screen picture in 16:9 aspect ratio even on a wide-screen TV
- Fixed Aspect Ratio: changes the picture size to fit the screen size with the original picture aspect ratio
- DVD Aspect Ratio: You can select the display configuration for playback of 16:9 screen pictures on a 4:3 screen TV. You can select from Letter Box or Pan & Scan.
Video Settings: The BDV-N790W offers the following video adjustments:
- Picture Quality Mode: You can select from 3 preset pictures settings (Auto, Custom1, or Custom 2) for different lighting environment.
- Texture Remaster: Adjusts the sharpness and detail of the edges.
- Super Resolution: Improves the resolution of the image.
- Smoothing: Reduces on-screen banding by smoothing gradations on flat areas.
- Contrast Remaster: Automatically arranges the black and white levels so that the screen is not too dark and the image is modulated.
- Clear Black: Adjusts the display of the dark elements of the image. All shading is not suppressed; it allows beautifully reproduces black tones.
Cinema Conversion Mode: The Sony BDV-N790W offers two Cinema Conversion Modes - Auto & Video.
- Auto: The unit automatically detects whether the material is video-based or film-based, and switches to the appropriate conversion method.
- Video: The conversion method suited for video-based material will always be selected regardless of the content.
I/P Noise Reduction: I/P Noise Reduction improves the picture quality of Internet entertainment for crisp, clear HD images.
BonusView: The BonusView feature provides picture-in-picture capability with select Blu-ray Disc titles. You can view addition content (such as director/actor commentary) in a small display window while the movie is playing.
S-Master Digital Amplifier: The integrated Blu-ray disc/DVD receiver is equipped with an S-Master Digital Amplifier for superb accuracy, clear separation of signals, and balanced sound reproduction using a digital-to-digital process. It is designed to be highly efficient, producing minimal heat, while taking up 1/4 of the space of conventional amplifiers. The amplifier is rated at 125 watts x 2ch (Front Left/Right) at 1kHz in 3-ohms with 10% THD; plus 250 watts x 2ch (center/subwoofer) at 1kHz/80Hz in 6-ohms with 10% THD. The rear surround speakers are powered by a separate wireless surround amplifier that is rated at 125 watts x 2ch (Rear Left & Right).
Digital Cinema Auto Calibration (D.C.A.C.): The BDV-N790W is equipped with an Auto Calibration function to achieve ideal surround sound settings for your room. With the included microphone placed at the listening position, Sony's DSP automatically analyzes speaker placement and sets the delay times and output levels. The microphone has a threaded insert on the bottom so it's compatible with a tripod. Speakers configuration, speaker distances and output levels can also be manually set.
Note: If your prefer, you can setup the receiver and the connected speakers manually by using the receiver's manual speaker setup menu. You can adjust the level of each speaker from -6 to +6 dB in 0.5 dB steps and set the distance for each speaker from your main listening position (0' to 23' increments).
Surround Modes: The Sony BDV-N790W incorporates a wide variety of surround modes to bring you maximum enjoyment from your audio and video software. The surround modes include:
|2CH Stereo||The 2 channel button sets the receiver to power only the front left and right speakers, no surround and no subwoofer. Two-channel sources bypass the sound field processing and multi-channel sources are down-mixed to 2 channels.|
|Dolby Pro Logic|
|Dolby Pro Logic||Dolby Pro Logic transforms stereo sound into 4-channel surround sound with mono surrounds.|
|Dolby Pro Logic II||Dolby Pro Logic II transforms high-quality stereo sound into 5.1-channel surround sound. Thanks to its full-range performance, you will hear all the detail and subtleties of a compelling five-channel Dolby surround sound mix from a stereo signal. You can select between PLII Movie, Music, and Game modes.|
|Dolby Digital||Dolby Digital has been selected as the default format for DVD video, standard 2 channel audio playback and HDTV Digital broadcasting. Dolby Digital features two independent surround channels giving same full range as the three front channels. Plus it adds a Low Frequency Effect channel LFE. Dolby Digital accomplishes this by using a technique called compression.|
|Dolby Digital Plus||Dolby Digital Plus is based on core Dolby Digital technologies. Dolby Digital Plus is an advanced surround sound audio codec designed specifically for evolving media. Dolby Digital Plus brings cinematic sound to Blu-ray, broadcast, online, game, and mobile phone entertainment (up to 7.1ch)|
|Dolby Digital TrueHD||Dolby TrueHD produces audio that is identical to and every bit as spectacular as the master recording. It lets you experience the full potential of Blu-ray Disc (up to 7.1ch), and is even ready for future HD delivery formats.|
|DTS||DTS (Digital Theater Systems) uses the same concept as Dolby Digital, but implements a lower compression rate. This leads to more dynamic range, improved channel separation, and more subtle nuances.|
|DTS-HD||High Resolution Audio||DTS-HD Audio delivers sound quality that matches the clear and vivid images of high-definition video. Blu-ray and HD-DVD discs deliver five times the video resolution of standard DVD and produce images with stunning realism. But that's only half of the story. You need incredible sound to complete the high definition experience and DTS-HD Audio provides the highest quality multi-channel (7.1ch) sound possible. Movies come alive with sound as lifelike as the picture, and music becomes as real as a live performance.|
|DTS-ES||DTS-ES (Discrete/Matrix) delivers 6.1 channels of discrete or matrixed audio. Movies encoded in DTS-ES will dramatically intensify the DTS surround effect with the addition of a surround center-channel speaker.|
|DTS 96/24||DTS 96/24 offers a higher quality level of multi-channel audio (up to 5.1 channels) for standard DVDs. The "96" refers to a 96kHz sampling rate (compared to the typical 48kHz sampling rate.) The "24" refers to 24-bit depth, compared to 16-bit depth used for CD sound, which means there is more audio information present.|
|DTS Neo: 6||DTS Neo:6 takes 2-channel (stereo) audio and completely transforms it into up to six full-bandwidth matrix channels of surround sound. Your home theater system will produce six and five separate channels, respectively, to match your speaker layout. DTS Neo:6 can also generate a center surround channel from 5.1 material.|
|Sound Modes||You can select a suitable sound mode for movies or music. You can choose from Auto, Movie, Music, Sports, Game Rock, Omni-Directional, 3D Surround, Hall, and Night.|
Note: 7.1 channel surround formats will be downmixed to 5.1 channels. The system's built-in Blu-ray Home Theater System supports all formats. The unit's HDMI and optical inputs do not support 7.1ch LPCM, Dolby Digital Plus, Dolby TrueHD, or DTS-HD.
ARC (Audio Return Channel): This feature allows audio to be sent from your compatible HDTV to the integrated Blu-ray disc/DVD receiver through the same HDMI cable already being used to send audio and video to your HDTV. This eliminates the need for extra cables connected to your television.
Audio Settings: The BDV-N790W allows you to adjust the following audio settings:
- Audio Enhancer: Hear improved sound quality while watching movies from the internet as the Audio Enhancer restores sound lost during compression.
- AV SYNC: When the sound does not match the picture on the TV screen, you can adjust the delay between the picture and sound.
- Audio DRC: The Home Theater System offers three dynamic range compression levels - Auto, Standard, and Wide Range.
Analog & Digital Inputs: The Sony BDV-N790W features both analog (stereo RCA) and digital (optical) audio inputs.
FM Tuner: The BDV-N790W features a built-in FM tuner and stores up to 20 FM preset stations. There is no AM tuner.
Wireless Surround Kit: The TA-SA300WR Wireless Surround Amplifier Kit gives you a way to place the system's rear speakers in the back of your home theater room without having to run wires from the Blu-ray disc/DVD receiver. The kit includes a 2-channel amplifier and two wireless transceivers. One wireless transceiver plugs into the back of the TA-S300WR while the other plugs into the back of the BDV-N790W. The BDV-N790W is able to wirelessly transfer the rear audio signal to the TA-SA300WR surround amplifier by using a wireless 5.8GHz frequency connection. The surround amplifier has proprietary speaker terminals that match the speaker wires supplied with the home theater system. The TA-SA300WR must be plugged into an AC outlet and speaker wires run from the surround amplifier to the rear speakers. The surround amplifier is rated at 125 watts x 2-channel (in 3-ohm at 1kHz with 10% THD).
Note: The TA-SA300WR measures 8.0625" wide x 2.3125" tall x 9.3125" deep.
Satellite Surround Speakers: The Sony BDV-N790W Blu-ray home theater system features two satellite surround (rear) speakers. Each speaker consists of a bass-reflex cabinet with a front-firing port and features a single 2" cone-type, full-range driver. Each surround speaker features a small pedestal stand which allows you to place the speaker on a table-top, shelf, or stand. The pedestal stand can be removed from the bottom of the speaker and mounted to the rear of the speaker, so you can wall-mount the front speakers using a single keyhole slot. There is also a rear-mounted 5mm threaded insert for optional articulating wall-mount brackets (sold separately). Each surround speaker comes with a 16.5' length of speaker wire which connects to the spring-clip terminals on back of the speaker and the proprietary plugs on back of the included wireless surround amplifier.
Center-Channel Speaker: The Sony Blu-ray home theater system features an acoustic-suspension center-channel speaker which consists of one 1.25" x 3.5" cone-type, full-range driver. The center-channel speaker comes with two integrated rubber feet so it can be placed securely on top of your TV, shelf or stand. The center-channel speaker also features two key-hole slots on its rear-panel which allows you to mount the center-channel speaker horizontally on a wall. The center-channel speaker comes with a 6.5' length of speaker wire which connects to the spring-clip terminals on back of the speaker and the proprietary plugs on back of the AV receiver.
Front Speakers: The Sony BDV-N790W features two 2-way front speakers with a separate 0.75" tweeter (0.75") and 2" woofer that deliver premium sound with better highs and lows. The front speakers are uniquely designed to provide a wider "sweet spot"; so even when you're watching with the whole family everyone will enjoy great sound. The front speakers employ a bass-reflex cabinet with front-firing port for added efficiency and midbass response. Each front speaker features a small pedestal stand which allows you to place the speaker on a table-top, shelf, or stand. The pedestal stand can be removed from the bottom of the speaker and mounted to the rear of the speaker, so you can wall-mount the front speakers using a single keyhole slot. There is also a rear-mounted 5mm threaded insert for optional articulating wall-mount brackets (sold separately). Each front speaker comes with a 9.75' length of speaker wire which connects to the spring-clip terminals on back of the speakers and the proprietary plugs on back of the AV receiver.
Passive Subwoofer: The home theater system features a bass-reflex, passive subwoofer with a down-firing 5.5" woofer and down-firing port. The subwoofer includes four integrated rubber feet to place the unit securely on your floor. In addition, the subwoofer features and attached 10' length of speaker wire which connects the proprietary plugs on back of the integrated Blu-ray Disc/AV receiver.
Speaker Wiring: The integrated Blu-ray disc/DVD receiver uses color-coded 2-pin proprietary jacks for the front, center, and subwoofer outputs. The color-coded 2-pin proprietary jacks for the surround speakers are found on the wireless surround amplifier. Speaker wires, terminated with color-coded plugs, are supplied. Each length of supplied speaker wire has tinned wire on one end, and a color-coded proprietary plug on the other for easy hookup. The color-coded plugs are white (Front Left), red (Front Right), blue (Surround Left), gray (Surround Right), green (Center), and purple (Subwoofer).
Wired or Wireless Network Connection: The Sony BDV-N790W Blu-ray Home Theater System supports a wired or wireless network connection. Via the Blu-ray Home Theater System's network connection your can enjoy music, video, and still-image files stored on your computer. You can also listen to internet radio and watch online movies, via the Bravia Entertainment Network.
- Ethernet (LAN) Jack: The Sony BDV-N790W Blu-ray Home Theater System is equipped with an Ethernet (LAN) RJ-45 jack for connecting the Home Theater System to your home network and computer.
- Built-in Wireless LAN: The Sony Blu-ray Home Theater System also features built-in WiFi which allows you to wirelessly access the Internet and your home network. The Blu-ray Home Theater System's built-in WiFi provides a wireless network connection for the Home Theater System with easy and quick setup. With this feature, you can easily connect to a wireless LAN and enjoy the benefits of networking in a cable-free environment. A wireless connection requires a home network with an 802.11 access point (802.11n recommended) and internet connection. Supports WPS, WEP, and WPA security.
Bravia Entertainment Network: Once the Sony BDV-N790W has been connected to your home network (via Ethernet or WiFi), you can have your favorite internet content delivered to the Sony Blu-ray Home Theater System via Bravia Internet Video or the built-in web browse. You can stream movies, videos, music, and more with Bravia Internet Video; while the built-in web-browser lets you search on-line content by URL.
- Bravia Internet Video: Bravia Internet Video serves as a gateway to online audio/video content, delivering a variety of on-demand entertainment straight to the Sony Blu-ray Home Theater System. Bravia Internet TV allows you to instantly stream a wide variety of movies, TV episodes, videos, and music from a large selection of entertainment apps.
- Opera Internet Browser: The built-in Opera Internet Browser allows you to access select web content through the Sony Blu-ray Home Theater System. Using the Opera Internet Browser, you gain access to Sony.com and Gracenote Music Services. The built-in internet browser also allows you to do basic keyword searches, so you can browse other select websites (text-based only). The Opera Internet Browser is not a full search engine for the Internet and Web. For Internet audio/video/photo content, use Sony's Bravia Internet Video service. Some web-pages maybe too large for download.
Bravia Network Entertainment Library: Currently the Bravia Network Entertainment Library contains the following online content and widgets. (as of 4/18/2012).
|Bravia Internet Video|
|Movies||Video Unlimited: Video Unlimited is the ultimate source for the latest hit movies, classics and TV shows from every major studio. Forget monthly subscriptions or late fees. Watch what you want, when you want. Buy or rent titles in SD, 1080p HD or 3D (select titles) up to 28 days before Netflix or Redbox.|
|Netflix 5.1: Unlimited Movies & TV episodes: For only $7.99 a month, instantly watch unlimited movies & TV episodes streaming over the Internet to your Sony TV.|
|Hulu+: Hulu Plus lets you watch current hit TV shows, classic series, and acclaimed movies anytime in HD for $7.99/month with limited advertising.|
|Vudu: Vudu is an HD on-demand movie service. With over 3,000 movies available on-demand in streaming 1080p, VUDU offers you the world's largest HD movie catalog. You can watch new movies on Vudu the same day they're released on DVD. Vudu delivers 1080p vide with 5.1ch surround sound. There is no monthly subscription fee. Pay for only the movies you want to watch.|
|Flixster: Get the hottest new movie trailers from Flixster.|
|Amazon Instant Video: Amazon Instant Video lets you search, browse and rent your favorites instantly, right from your couch. Choose from over 90,000 movies and TV shows, including the latest new releases|
|SnagFilms: The best Indie movies on demand.|
|CinemaNow: CinemaNow is a digital entertainment service that offers instant access to an extensive library of premium video content for rental or purchase, including new release movies and TV shows, with no subscription required.|
|Crackle: The next-generation video entertainment network with hundreds of movies, TV shows and original series from the vast Sony Pictures library.|
|Music||Music Unlimited: Music Unlimited offers you unlimited access to millions of songs from every major label. Forget syncing MP3 files across multiple devices; simply connect to the cloud to instantly experience the music you love anytime, anyplace. Enjoy timeless favorites or dare to try something new; all without paying for each track or album.|
|Pandora: Free, personalized internet radio playing only music you love. Pandora brings an effortless personal soundtrack into your living room. Enter your favorite artists and enjoy stations created just for you. Rate songs as they play, because Pandora caters to your tastes and adapts stations to your feedback on the spot.|
|Slacker: Slacker is a free personalized radio service with millions of songs from thousands of artists. Simply select your favorite type of music from one of over 120 expert-programmed genre stations. As you listen, give feedback and the station becomes personalized just for you.|
|Singing Fool: The Singing Fool music video collection: rock, pop, rap, R&B, country and more. Thousands of titles means there's something for everyone on Singing Fool.|
|Berliner Philharmoniker: Enjoy one of the world's best orchestras directly from your connected Sony TV.|
|MoshCam.com: Over 800 full length concert videos recorded in Sydney, Australia's leading music venues including Jane's Addiction, Gary Numan, Ben Harper, John Butler Trio, The Hives, Blondie, Jarvis Cocker, Public Enemy and many more.|
|Social Media||YouTube: The world's most popular online destination, comes to your Sony Connected Device. This forum allows people to discover and watch millions of originally-created videos.|
|Facebook: Millions of people use Facebook everyday to keep up with friends, upload an unlimited number of photos, share links and videos, and learn more about the people they meet.|
|Sports||XOS College Sports: Offers the largest digital library of college sports content, spanning 75+ years of competition. Watch full games, original programming, season highlights and documentaries both past and present. All the best conferences, teams and sports are here.|
|NHL Vault: Gives you access to over 800 classic games, as well as full length and condensed game replays with no blackouts.|
|GolfLink.com: Built for golfers, and covering over 21,000 courses, Golflink.com brings you everything you need to track and improve your game.|
|Billabong's: Snow, Surf, Skate and Wake action from around the globe, featuring Billabong's all-star athletes, swimwear and fashion models.|
|Lifestyle||AOL HD: Watch the latest in technology from Engadget and TechCrunch, catch up on the latest celebrity gossip from Huffington Post, preview the latest movies from Moviefone, or even learn how to cook like a pro from personalities such as Curtis Stone, Sam Talbot and Gail Simmons - all from AOL HD.|
|eHow: Watch the latest videos from Howcast, your source for the best how-to videos. From how to write a resume - to how to survive a bear attack, Howcast shows you how to do just about anything; wherever and whenever you want to know how.|
|Dr. Oz: Entertaining, high octane, multi-topic hour that is equal parts life-saving information combined with an "embarrassment-free zone" sensibility where nothing is off limits or out of bounds. The show is all about what impacts viewers, their families, their health and their well-being.|
|Livestrong: The destination for health, fitness and lifestyle videos. Take responsibility and live an active, healthy lifestyle every day.|
|Tara Stiles: Useful and fun yoga routines for everyone.|
|Style.com: The definitive voice of fashion online, providing comprehensive coverage of the major fashion shows and authoritative reports on seasonal trends.|
|elgourmet.com: With original contents for those who know how to enjoy the pleasures of life, elgourmet.com offers 24 hrs of uninterrupted programming for experts in fine living.|
|Epicurious: Learn how to prepare dishes from around the world, tour celebrity kitchens and get tips on entertaining.|
|WealthTV: WealthTV is the premier luxury lifestyle and entertainment cable network that gives you a vicarious look into the American Dream. From the fastest cars to the most exotic destinations, WealthTV allows you to travel the world and live the good life without having to leave your living room.|
|uStudio: Professionally-produced video clips and how-to videos. Named 'Best of Web' by BusinessWeek readers in 2008.|
|DailyMotion: Engages your world with video of your interests and hobbies, eyewitness accounts of recent news and distant places and everything else from strange to spectacular.|
|News||NPR: Acclaimed audio podcasts from National Public Radio featuring news, talk, and entertainment.|
|NewsLook: Whether you're interested in anything ranging from World News and US Politics to Recipes and Celebrity Gossip, NewsLook's topic based video RSS reader has everything you're looking for available in real time. Watch news on the go or from the comfort of your home on your connected Sony TV.|
|Opera Internet Brower|
|Opera Internet Brower||Sony.com: Access to Sony official website|
|Gracenote Music Service: Links to the Gracenote Music Service which contains more than five million tracks for identification and recommendations.|
|URL Searches: Browse the internet via keyword & URL searches.|
Note: Visit the Sony Entertainment Network for the latest internet content. Bravia Internet Video Requires home network with a connection speed of at least 2.5 Mbps recommended (10 Mbps for HD content). Video quality and picture size vary and are dependent upon broadband speed and delivery by content provider. Online content may require additional fees and/or PC registration. Available online content may change without notice (visit Sony.com for latest information regarding online content).
DLNA Certified: DLNA certification allows you to enjoy various content from your home network, such as photo (JPEG/PNG/GIF), music (MP3/WMA/AAC/LPCM), and video (AVCHD/MPEG) files stored on your Windows 7 PC (or other DLNA Certified media server) through the Sony BDV-N790W. The Blu-ray Home Theater System can be connected to your compatible PC using a hardwired Ethernet (LAN) connection or Wi-Fi connection (via built-in WiFi). This eliminates the need to copy your photo, video, and music files to a separate USB storage device.
WiFi Direct: Sometimes your friends want to share their personal photos and videos on your TV. With Sony's WiFi Direct Mode, your friends can wirelessly transfer personal content (such as photos & videos) to the Sony BDV-N790W and view it on your connected TV without connecting to your home network. WiFi Direct completely bypasses the WiFi access point/router, so it's easy to set up. Streaming of copy-protected content and other certain formats are not supported.
Party Streaming: You can play music in other rooms simultaneously by connecting Sony products which are compatible with DLNA and the Party Streaming function.
Gracenote Metadata Service: The Gracenote Metadata service instantly gives you access to detailed information about the movies you are watching through the Blu-ray disc Home Theater System internet connectivity. This easy-to-navigate service displays information such as cast information, genre, jacket art and more right on the TV screen. You can also access select internet apps including YouTube and Qriocity to find related entertainment
Note: Requires Internet connectivity. Some disc titles may not be supported by the Gracenote service.
BD-Live: BD-Live technology allows you to download and stream bonus content such as additional scenes, shorts, trailers, movie-based games, and more from a broadband Internet and home network connections (fees may apply). The Sony Blu-ray Home Theater System features an Ethernet port to connect to the Internet via your home network & features front-panel USB port for additional storage. You must have a minimum 1GB USB memory device inserted in the unit's rear-panel USB port in order to download content from BD-Live.
Dual USB Port: The Blu-ray player's front- & rear-panel USB (type-A) ports allow you to play photo (JPEG/PNG/GIF/MPO), videos (AVCHD/MPEG), & music (MP3/WMA/AAC/LPCM) files on a connected USB device. The player can recognize Mass Storage Class (MSC) Devices that are FAT-compatible and Still Image Capture Devices (SICD) class devices. The player can recognize up to 5 folders and 500 files per folder. The receiver will also charge your USB device while connected to the front-panel USB port (5V/0.5A). The USB ports also allow you to enjoy additional content (such as BonusView) on certain Blue-ray Disc titles. Some BD-ROMs have bonus content & other data which can be downloaded to an inserted USB Flash Drive (minimum 1 GB recommended, sold separately).
Note: Not all USB devices are supported.
iPod/iPhone AV Dock: The Sony BDV-N790W includes an iPod/iPhone dock (TDM-iP30) which allows you to playback music and videos stored on your iPod/iPhone through the Sony Blu-ray Disc/DVD home theater system. The iPod/iPhone dock connects to the unit's front-panel USB port and your television's composite video input. The iPod/iPhone is controlled by the receiver's remote (your iPod/iPhone's clickwheel or touchscreen is locked). Your iPod/iPhone's battery will be charged while docked (when receiver is On).
- Music Playback: Using the included iPod/iPhone dock, you can listen to music stored on your Apple iPod/iPhone through the Sony BDV-N790W. The USB connection bypasses your iPod/iPhone's DAC and uses the receiver's built-in DACs for better sound quality. Song/artist information and elapsed time are displayed on your connected TV screen. You can navigate your iPod/iPhone's music using the on-screen menu and remote control by Playlist, Artist, Album Genre, or Song. You also have access to Repeat (One/All/Off) and Shuffle (Songs/Albums/Off) functions.
- Video Playback: The included iPod/iPhone dock also lets you watch videos stored on your iPod/iPhone through the BDV-N790W and your connected TV (via composite video). The dock plugs directly into your TV's composite video input. You can access Movies, Music Videos, TV Shows, Video Podcasts, Rented Movies, and Video Playlists stored on your iPod/iPhone using the receiver's on-screen menu and IR remote control
iPod/iPhone Compatibility Chart: Using the included iPod/iPhone dock, the Sony BDV-N790W supports the following iPod/iPhone models and functions (as of 5/17/2012).
|iPod/iPhone Model||Generation||Tested Version||Media Type||Control Type||Display Type||Charge|
|Audio||Video Out||Remote||iPod/iPhone||Song/Artist Text||Track Info|
Note: Apple iPod/iPhone software updates may change functionality results. If you download a newer software version, you may need to reset the receiver and your iPod/iPhone to regain functionality. If this doesn't work, you may need to wait until a newer software update is available.
Quick Start: Quick Start speeds up the load time on movies, so discs start faster after they're inserted into the Blu-ray Home Theater System. The Sony BDV-N790W has a start-up time of approximately 5.1 seconds in Quick Start mode (25.7 seconds in normal mode). In Quick Start mode, it takes approximately 29.1 seconds for a Blu-ray disc to begin playback (45.3 seconds in normal mode).
Note: The Start Up/Play Back Time tests were started with the Blu-ray system initially turned off & in standby mode. The Start Up Time test was stopped when the unit's Home Menu screen appeared. The Play Back Time test was stopped when the Blu-ray disc began playback.
On-Screen Display: The Sony BDV-N790W provides an OSD via its HDMI or composite video output. The on-screen text can be set to English, French, Spanish, or Portuguese. The integrated Blu-ray receiver also features a single-line top-panel display.
Parental Control: The Sony BDV-N790W offers Parental Control settings to limit BD, DVD, and streamed Internet video according to the age of the users. You can also Allow or Block all unrated Internet video. The control settings are protected by a custom 4-digit password. You can also lock the disc tray to prevent it from being opened by mistake.
Child Lock: You can deactivate the buttons on the main unit to prevent unauthorized operation.
Dimmer: You can adjust the lighting of the unit's front panel display from Bright or Dark.
Screen Saver: The screen saver image appears when you do not use the Home Theater System for more than 10 minutes while an on-screen display, such as the home menu, is displayed on your TV screen. The screen saver image helps prevent your display devices from becoming damaged.
Sleep Timer: You can set the system to turn off after a preset time period, so you can fall asleep listening to music, The time can be preset in intervals of 10 minutes.
Auto Standby Mode: If any button on the Home Theater System or remote is not pressed for more than 30 minutes, the Home Theater System automatically returns to standby mode.
Wireless Remote Control: The supplied IR remote control provides wireless operation of the home theater system. It is also preprogrammed to operate Sony and other manufacture's televisions. There is a "Netflix" button to instantly access your online Netflix movies and TV shows.
Bravia Theater Sync: When the Sony BDV-N790W is connected to a Sony TV via HDMI, you can operate the system with simplified controls. In addition to audio and video transmission, control functions are transmitted via the HDMI cable. This feature works with a select number of Sony Bravia TVs. The simplified controls include:
- One-Touch Play: By pressing "Play" on the unit or the remote, the TV turns on and is set for the DVD input mode automatically.
- System Audio Control: While watching TV, you can switch the sound to come out of either the TV or the BDV-N790W's speakers.
- Remote Easy Control: You can control the basic functions of the system via your Sony Bravia TV's remote when the system's video output is displayed on the TV screen.
- Language Control: When you change the language for the on-screen display of your TV, the system's on-screen display language is also changed.
- Routing Control: When you perform One-Touch Play on the connected component, the system turns on and sets the system's function to HDMI1 or HDMI2, and your TV's input is automatically set to the HDMI input to which the system is connected.
- System Power Off: When you turn the TV off by using the "Power" button.
Mobile Device Control: You can turn your Sony Tablet, iPod touch, iPhone, iPad (running iOS 4.0+), or compatible Android smartphone (2.1+) into a versatile remote when you download the free MediaRemote app for Apple iOS devices, Android devices, or Sony Tablets. The Media Remote app requires that the Sony Blu-ray Home Theater System and Apple iOS, Android, or Sony remote device be connected to the same wireless network with the remote device connected through an 802.11 access point (802.11n recommended). Enjoy complete remote function, as well as full QWERTY keyboard.
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.
3 questions already asked
5 answers Does this not/not work with Comcast DVR box? I was getting ready to by this and read a review that it didn't work with "COMCAST HDMI" and am not entirely sure what that means. I thought all HDMI's were the same, and the advisor I spoke with said nothing about it not being compatible with Comcast, even though I asked if it was compatible with the DVR box from the cable company. [ Cheryl Mar 02, 2014 ]
Did not work with mine worked first time then goes to flashing screen and everything has to be unplugged and reset this is and was the last thing I will ever buy from crutch field [ RICHARD Mar 05, 2014 ]
The specs say it is HDMI compatible. Yes, HDMI is very convenient. I have a HDMI pass- through amp, Just one cord. [ DANIEL M Mar 04, 2014 ]
I cant speak on your comcast box, but with my directv receiver, i do have problems with my pay movie channels like hbo...showtime...starz..etc.. When i turn to those channels, sometimes the screen will be blinking a black picture with the message "this hdmi cable is not compatible, please us standard hd cables". Then other times it works just fine....i have zero problems with the use of the dvr. Its been a good system for me as it offers a lot....i use it for netflix..blu-ray, pandora music, and internet. It has many features to choose from.....if you can overlook that little problem or just use standard hd cables it should be fine, but like i said this is with my directv box. I kept the hdmi cable by the way. Good Luck [ JEFF Mar 04, 2014 ]
I can't give you a definitive answer to your question because I bought this as a gift for my parents and they never used Comcast. I can say that you are correct about all HDMIs being the same, so I don't see why it wouldn't be compatible with the Comcast DVR box...I would suggest you ask Comcast directly if they know of any particular feature of the box that would make it incompatible with some accessories. [ Gazelle Mar 03, 2014 ]
I have mine hooked up to comcast DVr box. No problems [ CHRISTOPHER Mar 03, 2014 ]
You will want to contact an Advisor by phone (1-800-324-9695) or online chat to discuss compatibility with your current remote. They may be able to pull up your remote and see if this will work. If it does not, then they will also be able to discuss other options with you. [ Jeff Jan 30, 2014 ] Staff
I wan to compare with the Bose system ...what is the different between ... Pzl. Thanks [ R May 10, 2014 ]
No, it's only FM [ RICHARD Dec 18, 2013 ]
Yes [ ENRICO B Dec 17, 2013 ]
I'm not sure on am, but I'd listen to fm station on this unit..and btw, this is superb unit to have! [ GERALD J Dec 17, 2013 ]
Yes it does. [ ENRICO B Dec 17, 2013 ]
It has fm not am [ KENT Dec 17, 2013 ]
Yes it does. [ CHRISTOPHER Dec 17, 2013 ]