Why Choose Crutchfield?
Great gear and expert advice
Our experts help you pick the ideal gear for your needs.Meet our advisors
Free tech support for the life of your gear.Read about our one-on-one expert help
You may return items that are complete and like new for any reason within 60 days.See the details of our return policy
Earn one point for every dollar you spend and use those points to save on future purchases.Get full details on Crutchfield Rewards
Deep discounts on car installation gear
We offer vehicle-specific installation instructions, dash kits, wiring harnesses, and speaker accessories at deeply discounted prices with car stereo and speaker purchases. Available for most vehicles.Learn more
Trusted since 1974
Our customers have trusted us with their business, and they’ve helped us win awards for our service.Check out our most recent awards
The manufacturer’s warranty always applies.See more details
Item #: 158CDXMP45
This item is no longer available.
Our take on the Sony CDX-MP450X
Take your favorite songs from the Internet to the Interstate with the Sony Xplod CDX-MP450X! This ingenious CD receiver plays MP3 files that you've downloaded onto CD-R (or CD-RWs), plus home-burned audio CD-Rs and CD-RWs (as well as store-bought discs). You can access MP3 file titles quickly with the handy Cross-key Control. The CDX-MP450X will also display CD Text information that may be encoded on your discs.
Nineteen watts RMS (50 peak) per channel of built-in Xplod power revs up your music to respectable levels. And three-step D-Bass processing adds "thump" to your tunes, while auto-level adjust prevents "overenhancement." For more clarity and reserve power, use the two sets of preamp outputs to connect component amplifiers. A wireless remote is included.Details:
- detachable, fold-down face
- Rotary Encoder with Cross-key Control
- two-color display
- SSIR-EX tuner
- 18 FM/12 AM presets
- travel presets
- seek tuning
- plays audio CD-Rs and CD-RWs as well as MP3-encoded CD-R/RWs
- will display CD Text info (artist/track) from CD Text-encoded discs
- D-Bass with auto-level adjust
- front and rear sets of preamp outputs
- source tone memory
- wireless remote supplied
- 19 watts RMS/50 peak x 4 channels
- CD frequency response 10-20,000 Hz
- CD signal-to-noise ratio 90 dB
- FM sensitivity 9 dBf
- 1-year warranty
What's in the Box:
- AM/FM/CD receiver with 10-amp fuse inserted into chassis
- Hard face case
- Trim ring
- Wiring harness
- RM-X114 Wireless remote
- CR2025 Lithium battery (installed in remote)
- 2 DIN side springs (for "E" mounting)
- 4 ISO-mount screws
- 1 Metal backstrap
- 1 Self-tapping screw
- 1 Machine screw
- Operating Instructions
- Installation/Connections sheet
- Warranty sheet
Features and Specs
|Memory Card Slot||No|
|Satellite Radio Ready||No|
|RMS Power Output||19 watts|
|Peak Output||50 watts|
|RMS Power Bandwidth||20-20kHz|
|Sub Preamp Outputs||No|
|Switchable Rear Preamp Outputs||---|
|Key Button Color||Red/Keyed*|
|Steering Wheel Control Compatible||---|
|Parts Warranty||1 YEAR|
|Labor Warranty||1 YEAR|
|FM Sensitivity||9 dBf|
|Radio Data System||No|
Display/Button Illumination: The main display line (which shows tuner frequency, track number, track time and text info) and the menu navigation arrows (cross-key controls) are displayed with white illumination. The D-bass, repeat, and shuffle indicators are displayed with red illumination. The buttons are backlit with red illumination.
Dual Info Display: There is a portion of the display that can be set to show the source name (FM1, FM2, CD, etc.) or the clock, while the main display line shows CD Text, the track number and elapsed time, or the tuner frequency.
Motion Display: When the unit's audio output has been turned off and the Motion Display has been turned on, a demo display is shown with scrolling text and moving graphics.
MP3 File Playback: This unit can play MP3 files that have been recorded with constant bit rate (32kbps to 320kbps) or variable bit rate compression on CD-ROM, CD-R and CD-RW discs. The disc must be in one of the following formats: ISO 9660 level 1, ISO 9660 level 2, Joliet, or Romeo. The following functions are available during MP3 playback:
- Folder Search: Forward and backward.
- Automatic Music Sensor (File Search): Forward and backward. Note: This function skips forward or backward from one file to another. This function does not allow you to do a fast forward or reverse audible search within a file.
- Manual File Search: This function allows you to do a fast forward or reverse audible search within a file.
- Name Search: Allows you to search for folders and files by name.
- File Repeat
- Folder Repeat
- Shuffle Play: You can select SHUF:1 or SHUF:FLDR. In SHUF:1 mode, the unit plays all the files on the disc in random order. In SHUF:FLDR mode, the unit plays all the files in the current folder in random order.
- Program Memory: Up to 20 files can be programmed and played in any order.
CD Compatibility: This unit will play standard audio (16-bit, 44kHz, PCM) CDs, finalized CD-Rs and finalized CD-RWs, and it will play CD-ROMs, finalized CD-Rs and finalized CD-RWs that contain MP3 audio files.
Rotary Encoder Control with Cross-Key Control: This unit is equipped with a rotary control that turns like a conventional knob (for volume, bass, treble etc) and cross-key buttons (for seek and manual tuning, track advance and track search, etc) for easy, intuitive operation. There are four cross-key buttons; the four buttons are located immediately above, below, to the left and to the right of the rotary encoder for convenient operation.
D-Bass: D-bass uses a sharper curve than standard loudness controls to give you more bass without interfering with mids and highs. Besides "D-bass off", there is D-bass 1, 2 and 3, each of which gives you progressively more bass.
CD Text Capable: When used with a CD Text encoded CD, this unit will display the CD text information.
Source Tone Memory: Each source (AM/FM/CD/Changer) can store its own bass and treble levels.
Remote Compatibility: This receiver can be controlled by an optional wired rotary commander (item 158RMX4S).
Cellular Mute Lead: This unit is equipped with a lead that mutes audio output when a cellular call is received, then restores the level once the call is over. To use this feature, you must have a cellular phone with a muting output that can be connected to the cellular mute lead.
Sound and Display Settings:
- Clock: Allows you to set the clock time (clock displays on upper left hand portion of display).
- PGM SET: Allows you to store tracks or files into program memory.
- Beep: Turns the beep On or Off. This beep sound is from the internal amplifier ONLY, not the preamp outputs.
- RM (Rotary Commander): Changes the control direction of the optional wired remote, so it corresponds to where the remote is mounted (left or right of steering column).
- D.INFO (Dual Information): Used to display the clock and play mode at the same time.
- M.DSPL (Motion Display): Allows you to turn the Motion Display On or Off.
- A.SCRL (Auto scroll): Automatically scrolls a disc or track name if it exceeds 8 characters.
- BTM (Best Tuning Memory): Selects the stations with the strongest signals and memorizes them in the order of their frequencies.
- MONO: Turns mono mode On or Off.
- LOCAL: Turns local seek mode On or Off.
Remote: This unit comes with the Sony RM-X114 wireless remote.
- DSPL: Switches between disc/artist name, track name and track number/elapsed time in CD mode. In MP3 mode, the display button switches between file number/elapsed playing time, folder name and file name. In tuner mode, the display button switches between the clock and tuner frequency.
- Mode: Cycles through FM and AM bands.
- Menu: Brings up the menu functions (sound and display settings).
- List: This button does not function with this unit.
- Source: Selects the source (Tuner, CD, CD-MD changer).
- Tune/Track |<</>>|: Increases/decreases tuner frequency, searches tracks forward/backward and searches files forward/backward.
- Disc+/Preset+: Selects next folder, next radio preset and navigates through menu.
- Disc-/Presets- : Selects previous folder, previous radio preset and navigates through menu.
- Sound: Cycles through bass, treble, balance and fader settings.
- Enter: Enters menu selections.
- ATT button: Attenuates output.
- Volume +/-: Two buttons used for volume control.
Remote Dimensions: L=3.538", W=2.046", H=0.416"
Display Illumination/Clock Display: Pressing the power button once will turn off audio output, but the clock display and face/button illumination remain on. This makes the clock display and face/button illumination "Keyed" instead of "Unit On" only. To turn the unit off completely, you must press the OFF button for two seconds. Note: When installing in a vehicle without an accessory power wire at the radio location, you must turn the radio completely off (this defeats keyed operation), or you may wire the accessory power wire of this radio to an alternate source of accessory power to retain keyed clock and face/button illumination operation.
Installation Depth Note: The depth measurements in the Specs table were taken without an RCA patch cable plugged into the back of the unit. With an RCA cable connected, the "I" depth measurement is 7.093" and the "E" depth measurement is 7.188".
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.