Why Choose Crutchfield?
Great gear and expert advice
Our experts help you pick the ideal gear for your needs.Meet our advisors
Free tech support for the life of your gear.Read about our one-on-one expert help
You may return items that are complete and like new for any reason within 60 days.See the details of our return policy
Earn one point for every dollar you spend and use those points to save on future purchases.Get full details on Crutchfield Rewards
Deep discounts on car installation gear
We offer vehicle-specific installation instructions, dash kits, wiring harnesses, and speaker accessories at deeply discounted prices with car stereo and speaker purchases. Available for most vehicles.Learn more
Trusted since 1974
Our customers have trusted us with their business, and they’ve helped us win awards for our service.Check out our most recent awards
The manufacturer’s warranty always applies.See more details
5-disc DVD Dream system
Item # 158DAVC450 | MFR # DAV-C450
This item is no longer available.
Our take on the Sony DAV-C450 by Crutchfield's Tom Mathew
Here's the Sony Dream system that you've been dreaming about a 5-disc DVD/CD carousel changer, 500 watts RMS power, component video output for a sharp, clear picture, and Super Audio CD playback. And you get all this power and performance for a price that's hard to beat!
The DAV-C450 features a super-efficient 6-channel digital amplifier, which powers the five matching satellite speakers at 80 watts per channel, and the subwoofer at 100 watts for serious special effects. The satellites are compact for discreet placement, while still offering enough punch to deliver convincing surround sound in small- to medium-sized rooms. Plus, the Headphone Theater mode lets you enjoy a simulated surround sound experience using a pair of stereo headphones. The system includes Dolby® Digital and DTS® decoding for DVDs, and Pro Logic for VHS tapes and stereo TV broadcasts. And with composite, S-video, and component video outputs, you'll enjoy the best picture your television has to offer!
But the DAV-C450 is more than just a terrific home theater system. It's a music center, too, playing your favorite audio CDs, CD-Rs, CD-RWs, and stereo and multichannel SACDs! And thanks to thoughtful touches like the color-coded speaker connectors, setting up the system is a breeze.
- DVD/CD changer/receiver:
- plays DVD-Video discs, SACDs, CDs, and audio CD-Rs & CD-RWs
- 5-disc carousel changer (change 4 discs while the 5th keeps playing)
- built-in Dolby Digital/DTS/Pro Logic decoding
- 6-channel digital amplifier (80 watts x 5, plus 100 watts for subwoofer)
- Digital Cinema Sound
- Headphone Theater mode
- digital tuner with 20 FM/10 AM presets
- multibrand remote (operates most TVs)
- on-screen GUI
- optical digital input
- 2 audio inputs (1 is in/out)
- 1 monitor video output (composite, S-video, component)
- headphone minijack
- color-coded speaker connectors
- 14"W x 4"H x 15-1/2"D
- 8" cone
- ported enclosure
- 6-1/2"W x 14"H x 14"D
- 3" cone
- 4-5/16"W x 4-1/2"H x 4-5/16"D
- system frequency response 35-50,000 Hz
- warranty: 1 year
- designed for use with "Region 1" coded DVDs
What's in the Box:
- HCD-D450 DVD/CD/SACD Changer receiver
- SS-WS502 Subwoofer
- 5 SS-TS502 satellites
- RM-SS450 Wireless remote
- 2 "AA" batteries
- AM loop antenna
- FM wire antenna
- 59" Video RCA patch cord
- 24 Self-adhesive rubber foot pads
- One 16.25' length of speaker wire for the front right channel (has bare wire on one end and a proprietary red speaker connector on the other end)
- One 16.25' length of speaker wire for the front left channel (has bare wire on one end and a proprietary white speaker connector on the other end)
- One 16.25' length of speaker wire for the center channel (has bare wire on one end and a proprietary green speaker connector on the other end)
- One 16.25' length of speaker wire for the subwoofer channel (has bare wire on one end and a proprietary purple speaker connector on the other end)
- One 49.25' length of speaker wire for the rear left channel (has bare wire on one end and a proprietary blue speaker connector on the other end)
- One 49.25' length of speaker wire for the rear right channel (has bare wire on one end and a proprietary gray speaker connector on the other end)
- Operating Instructions
- "Speakers-Connection and Installation"
- Important Safeguards sheet
- Warranty sheet
- Power saving/Ventilation note
Why Shop With Us?10 Reasons.
System Overview: This integrated system includes a DVD/SACD/Video CD/Audio CD 5-Disc changer/receiver, full-range satellites for the left, right, center and surround channels, plus a separate subwoofer. A full function remote is included for system control.
DVD/SACD Changer: This system has a 5-Disc DVD/SACD changer that is compatible with the following discs: DVDs, Super Audio CDs, video CDs, audio CDs, finalized audio CD-Rs, and finalized audio CD-RWs.
Direct Stream Digital (DSD) Decoding: This unit is equipped with a DSD decoder to enable SACD playback. Unlike PCM based technology (CD/MiniDisc/DVD/DVD Audio, etc.), Super Audio CD is based on DSD encoding which does not require decimation and interpolation filters. DSD is much simpler and enables a 1-bit signal to be recorded directly. DSD encodes music at 2,822,400 samples per second allowing you to hear sound with incredible ease and clarity. DSD combines the advantages of digital recording with the best characteristics of analog sound. This player supports Multi-Channel SACD playback for discs recorded in that format.
Surround Decoding: This system has built-in Dolby Digital, DTS, and Dolby Pro Logic decoding.
On-Screen Display: The on-screen display language can be set to English, French or Spanish.
Surround includes the following modes:
- Dolby Digital/Dolby Pro Logic: Dolby Digital sources are played with as many channels as recorded; 2-channel stereo sources are decoded with Dolby Pro Logic
- Cinema Studio Ex. A: Reproduces the sound characteristics of Sony Pictures Entertainment "Cary Grant Theater" cinema production studio; This is a standard mode that's great for most types of movies
- Cinema Studio Ex. B: Reproduces the sound characteristics of Sony Pictures Entertainment "Kim Novak Theater" cinema production studio; This mode is ideal for watching science-fiction or action movies with lots of sound effects. Software with 2 channel audio signals is decoded with Dolby Pro Logic to create surround effects.
- Cinema Studio Ex. C: Reproduces the sound characteristics of Sony Pictures Entertainment scoring stage; This mode is ideal for watching musicals or classic films where music is featured in the soundtrack
- Virtual Multi Dimension: Uses 3D sound imaging to create an array of virtual rear speakers positioned higher than the listener from a single pair of actual rear speakers. This mode creates 5 sets of virtual speakers surrounding you at approximately a 30-degree angle of elevation.
- V.Semi-M. Dimension: Uses 3D sound imaging to create virtual rear speakers from the sound of the front speakers without using actual rear speakers. It creates 5 sets of speakers surrounding the listener at a 30-degree angle of elevation.
- Small Hall: Reproduces the acoustics if a small rectangular concert hall
- Large Hall: Reproduces the acoustics if a large rectangular concert hall
- Jazz: Reproduces the acoustics of a jazz club
- Live: Reproduces the acoustics of a 300-seat live concert
- Game: Obtains maximum audio impact from video game software
- Headphone Theater: Allows you to experience a theater-like environment while using a pair of stereo headphones; This mode is very effective with 5.1 channel discreet signal sources like Dolby Digital and DTS
Auto Format Decoding: Automatically detects the type of audio signal being input (Dolby Digital, DTS, Dolby Pro Logic, 2-channel) and performs the proper decoding without adding any effects.
- Front Speakers: The front speaker setting is fixed at "YES"
- Center Speaker: You may select "YES" or "NONE"
- Rear Speakers: If you choose not to use the rear speakers you can select "NONE". If you are using the rear speakers, you will need to specify the rear speaker position and height. You can select "BEHIND (LOW)", "BEHIND (HIGH)", "SIDE (LOW)", or "SIDE (HIGH)".
- Subwoofer: The subwoofer setting is fixed at "YES"
- Test Tone: The test tone feature allows you to adjust the volume level of the center, subwoofer, and rear channels. The level of each channel can be adjusted from -6dB to +6dB in 1dB increments.
- Distance: The front speaker distance from the listening position can be set from 3 to 50 feet in 1 foot increments and the center and surround speaker distances from 0 to 50 feet in 1 foot increments
- Balance: You can adjust the balance of the between the front left and right or rear left and right speakers by up to 6 steps
Bit Rate Meter: The bit rate meter lets you monitor the average bit-rate level on a DVD.
Resume Play: This feature allows you to resume playback of a disc from the point where you last stopped. The stopping point will be saved even if the system enters standby mode, however, the stopping point will be lost if the tray is opened.
PBC Playback: PBC playback allows you to play Video CDs interactively by following the menu on the TV screen.
Program Play: Up to 25 titles, chapters and tracks can be programmed and played in any order.
Shuffle Play: You can have the system "shuffle" titles, chapters or tracks and play them in random order when playing DVD's, video CD's, SACD's or audio CD's.
Repeat Play: You can play all titles/tracks or a single title/chapter/track on a disc in the repeat mode. In Shuffle or Program Play mode, the system repeats the titles or tracks in the shuffles or programmed order.
Scan Search: When playing a DVD, Super Audio CD, or an Audio CD, there are three fast-play speeds available in the playback direction. When playing a DVD, there are three fast-play speeds available in the reverse direction.
Slow Motion: When playing a DVD or Video CD, you may move forward through the program being played in one of two slow motion speeds. When playing a DVD, you may move backward through the program being played in one of two slow motion speeds.
Multi-Angle Display: This function allows you to choose the viewing angle of scenes that were shot from a number of different angles. This function is limited to DVDs recorded with multiple camera angles.
Parental Control: This unit allows you to set two kinds of playback restrictions for DVDs using Parental Control and Custom Parental Control. Parental Control allows you to restrict playback according to a predetermined level. You can select a parental control rating from 0-8, which is protected by a 4-digit password. Using the same registered password, Custom Parental Control allows you to set playback restrictions for a specific disc. You can set the same Custom Parental Control password for up to 50 discs.
Display Dimmer: You can set the display to one of two brightness levels.
Tuner: This system has a digital AM/FM Tuner. You can store up to 20 FM and 10 AM station presets so that you always have easy access to your favorite stations without having to tune them in manually each time. FM tuning is done in 0.1MHz steps and AM tuning is done in 10 kHz steps.
- On-Screen Display: Allows you to select English, Spanish, or French, as the on-screen display language
- DVD Menu (DVD only): Allows you to select the default DVD menu language
- Audio (DVD only): Allows you to select the default audio language
- Subtitle (DVD only): Allows you to select the default subtitle language
- TV Type (DVD only): Allows you to select 4:3 Letter Box (automatically displays a wide screen DVD as letterboxed on a normal aspect ratio TV), 4:3 Pan Scan (automatically converts a wide screen DVD to Pan and Scan when supported by the DVD, otherwise it is played in letter box format), or 16:9 (used when using a wide-screen TV with a 16:9 ratio).
- Screen Saver: Protects against screen burnout by selecting a screensaver after the unit has been in pause or stop mode for 15 minutes. The screen saver can be turned On or Off.
- Background: You can select the background color in stop mode or while playing a CD. You can choose Jacket Picture (shows the DVD jacket picture if supported by the DVD), Graphics (shows a Sony graphic), Blue (background color is blue), or Black (background color is black).
- Pause Mode (DVD only): Allows you to select how an image is displayed in pause mode. You can choose Auto or Frame.
- Parental Control (DVD only): Allows you to enter a 4-digit password to limit playback (available on DVDs with parental support)
- Track Selection (DVD only): You can select Auto or Off. When Auto is selected, priority is given to the digital audio track with the largest number of channels.
Subwoofer: The subwoofer uses a 7-7/8" paper woofer with a rubber surround. The woofer is mounted in a bass-reflex enclosure and powered by an 100-watt amplifier built into the receiver/player.
Satellites: All of the satellite speakers have 3-1/4" paper cone full range drivers. Each satellite has a set of spring clip terminals that will accept bare wire and pin connectors. Each speaker is covered by a removable, light gray cloth grille.
Satellite Mounting: Each satellite has an M5 (5mm) threaded insert on the back. The satellites can be mounted on the wall using an optional bracket or an M5 (5mm) screw (not included). If you do not wish to mount the satellites on the wall, you can place them on any flat surface.
Video-Shielding: The satellites and subwoofer are video-shielded.
System Remote with Sony TV Controls: The DAV-C450 comes with a full function remote that is pre-programmed to operate this system and select functions on Sony brand TVs. The TV functions are Channel select, Volume, Input selection and Power.
Front Panel of Receiver:
- Phones: Stereo mini-jack headphone output
Rear Panel of Receiver:
- AM Antenna Input: Two spring clip connectors
- FM Antenna Input: F-Type connector
- Audio 1 Input/Output: Stereo RCA jacks
- Audio 2 Input: Stereo RCA jacks and standard Toslink digital input with a plastic protective cover (when analog and digital signals are sent to the Audio 2 jacks, digital signals are given priority; analog signals can be played back through the Audio 2 inputs only when the digital input is not receiving signals)
- Monitor Output: RCA composite video jack, S-video jack and Component Video jacks
- Speaker Outputs: Six color-coded 2-pin proprietary connectors for all channels
- Receiver: W=13.938", H=3.875", D=15.375"
- Subwoofer: W=6.688", H=13.938", D=13.938"
- Satellites: W=4.563", H=4.375", D=4.375"
- Front (3 ohms at 1kHz, 10% THD): 80 watts x 2
- Center (3 ohms at 1kHz, 10% THD): 80 watts
- Rear (3 ohms at 1kHz, 10% THD): 80 watts x 2
- Subwoofer (3 ohms at 100Hz, 10% THD): 100 watts
- DVD Frequency Response: 2Hz to 22kHz (+/-1dB)
- CD Frequency Response: 2Hz to 20kHz (+/-1dB)
- Signal-to-Noise Ratio: More than 80 dB
- Harmonic Distortion: 0.03%
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.