Why Choose Crutchfield?
Great gear and expert advice
Our experts help you pick the ideal gear for your needs.Meet our advisors
Free tech support for the life of your gear.Read about our one-on-one expert help
You may return items that are complete and like new for any reason within 60 days.See the details of our return policy
Earn one point for every dollar you spend and use those points to save on future purchases.Get full details on Crutchfield Rewards
Deep discounts on car installation gear
We offer vehicle-specific installation instructions, dash kits, wiring harnesses, and speaker accessories at deeply discounted prices with car stereo and speaker purchases. Available for most vehicles.Learn more
Trusted since 1974
Our customers have trusted us with their business, and they’ve helped us win awards for our service.Check out our most recent awards
The manufacturer’s warranty always applies.See more details
Portable DVD player
Item # 158DVFX980 | MFR # DVPFX980
This item is no longer available.
Our take on the Sony DVP-FX980 by Crutchfield's David Brown
Keep your friends close, and your DVDs closer
Be it an international flight or an hour-long car trip, bring your DVDs and enjoy them on Sony's portable DVP-FX980. Watch for up to four hours with a charged-up battery, or plug in the AC or car adapter for endless viewing. Ideal for travel, the DVP-FX980 makes long trips fly by and keeps your kids from getting bored and asking "Are we there yet?" every three minutes. At home, the 9-inch LCD screen is perfect for a bedroom nightstand or end table, and the headphone jack means your viewing won't disturb others.
Don't just keep your DVDs close: keep a USB thumb drive around too. The DVP-FX980 features a USB port for easy access to digital photos, videos and music. Want to listen to MP3s or watch a movie with a friend? Plug a Y-adapter cable into the headphone jack and your Sony portable player is ready for two pairs of headphones and two pairs of ears. Built-in player controls and a remote make this player as easy to operate as it is portable.Need headphones? Check out our selection.
I was buying another that cost $3.00 more & was rated with one star. This one had five stars. Happy!
Tom, Yuma, AZ.
What's in the Box:
- Black portable DVD player with 9" LCD screen
- Wireless Remote Control (RMT-D195)
- 2 "AA" batteries
- AC-FX190 AC adapter with 39" DC output cord (DC Output: 12V/0.95A)
- 81" Car battery adapter cord with cigarette lighter adapter (DC input/output: 12V/1.5A) on one end
- 8" A/V adapter with female RCA stereo audio and composite video jacks on one end and a male stereo audio/video minijack on the other
- Operating Instructions (Eng/Span)
- Warranty sheet
- Product Registration sheet
- 9-inch LCD screen
- plays DVDs, CDs, data CDs/DVDs, and rewritable CDs/DVDs
- USB port for enjoying digital photos, video and music from a thumb drive
- remote control
- includes car adapter and AC adapter
- minijack headphone output
- up to 4 hours viewing with fully charged battery
- built-in controls on player for volume, playback and selecting menu options
- parental controls with compatible DVDs
- 9-1/4"W x 1-3/4"H x 6-5/8"D
- warranty: 1 year parts/90 days labor
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
Sony DVP-FX980 Reviews
Average Customer Review(s):
Thanks for submitting your review
LCD Screen: The Sony DVP-FX980's built-in 9" (diagonal) TFT active matrix widescreen LCD panel features a resolution of 800 x 480. The LCD screen can open up all the way to 180-degrees. The unit has an AV output for connecting it to an external TV.
Disc Compatibility: The DVP-FX980 can play the following discs.
- DVD Video
- DVD-RW / -R
- DVD+RW / +R /+R DL
- Audio CD
- CD-RW / -R
- Video CD (including Super VCDs)
- Data CDs and DVDs with MP3, JPEG, and MPEG-4 and AVI video files
USB Port: A Type A USB port is provided for connecting a USB memory device. The unit can play MP3 and JPEG files contained on a USB memory device.
MP3 Playback: This unit can play MP3 audio files recorded onto a CD-R, CD-RW, CD-ROM, DVD+/-R, DVD+/-RW, or USB Memory device. MP3 files should be recorded in ISO 9660 Level 1 or Joliet formats for CD or UDF for DVDs. The total number of MP3 files and folders on the disc or device should be less than 600.
JPEG Playback: This unit can play discs recorded with JPEG files. The unit support JPEG images up to 3264 x 2448 pixels or larger than 2000 x 1200 in progressive JPEG. Files can be viewed in either a Thumbnail mode, a slide show fashion or can be rotated at different angles.
Video Playback: You can play back MPEG-4 (mp4) and Xvid (avi) videos on Data CDs and DVDs. The player supports videos up to 720 x 576 (2 GB) with MP3 audio for MPEG-4 and Xvid video files, and AAC audio for MPEG-4 video files only.
Sound Modes: For enhanced listening, the DVP-FX980 has four selectable sound modes: Standard, Dynamic, Dynamic Surround, and Dialog.
LCD Modes: You can adjust the LCD using the following LCD modes: LCD Aspect (Full, Normal, or Zoom), Backlight (1-20), Contrast (1-20), Hue (-10 to +10), and Color (1-20).
Controls: The FX980 has a full set of controls on the base. Controls include individual buttons for Hold, Sound, Display, Menu, Return, and Options. There is also a 4-way control with an Enter button for confirming selections. During playback, you can easily access the Volume + and - buttons, Next and Previous (track/chapter) buttons, Play, Pause, and Stop. A slide-switch Power button is located on the right side of the unit.
Wireless Remote Control: The DVP-FX980 comes supplied with an IR wireless remote control (RMT-D195). The DVD player's IR sensor is found on the front panel of the unit so you can control the player with the remote control with the LCD panel open or closed.
Resume Play: Resume Play allows the player to record the point where the disc stopped and resume play at the same point when play starts back up again. If the Stop button is pressed twice or the disc lid is opened the resume feature will be cancelled.
Power Sources: The DVP-FX980 comes supplied with 3 methods of powering the unit:
- Lithium Ion Battery: The built-in rechargeable lithium ion battery provides approximately 4 hours of playback time. The charging time is approximately 4 hours. The battery is recharged while using the AC adapter or car battery charger, however, the battery does not charge while the player is being used.
- AC Adapter: The DVP-FX980 also comes supplied with the AC-FX190 AC adapter so you can use the player in your home or office. The AC adapter is also used to charge the battery when the unit is off.
- Car Battery Adapter: The DVP-FX980 comes supplied with a 12-volt car battery adapter so you can easily power the unit in your car. The car battery adapter will also charge the battery of the DVD player when the unit is off.
Right Side Connections: The following connections are found on the right side of the unit:
- Headphones: A 3.5mm headphone jack for private listening. Plugging in headphones will automatically mute the built-in speakers.
- USB: Type A USB port for connecting a USB memory device
- AV Out: 3.5mm mini-jack audio/video output for use with supplied AV cable (AV cable has female composite video and stereo RCA jacks)
- DC In 12V: power connection for use with the supplied AC adaptor or car battery adapter
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.