Why Choose Crutchfield?
Great gear and expert advice
Our experts help you pick the ideal gear for your needs.Meet our advisors
Free tech support for the life of your gear.Read about our one-on-one expert help
You may return items that are complete and like new for any reason within 60 days.See the details of our return policy
Earn one point for every dollar you spend and use those points to save on future purchases.Get full details on Crutchfield Rewards
Deep discounts on car installation gear
We offer vehicle-specific installation instructions, dash kits, wiring harnesses, and speaker accessories at deeply discounted prices with car stereo and speaker purchases. Available for most vehicles.Learn more
Trusted since 1974
Our customers have trusted us with their business, and they’ve helped us win awards for our service.Check out our most recent awards
The manufacturer’s warranty always applies.See more details
5-disc carousel DVD/CD changer
Item # 158DVPC670 | MFR # DVPC670D
This item is no longer available.
Our take on the Sony DVP-C670D
First-rate playback for DVDs and CDs is just the beginning with the DVP-C670D this player features a host of convenient Sony extras to ensure maximum entertainment. A handy carousel design lets you load any combination of DVDs and CDs (up to 5 discs) for hours of movie and music enjoyment. For managing a massive CD collection, the 'C670D offers MegaStorage® control: connect a compatible Sony CD changer, and control both changers as one!
Track Selection saves you time and effort by automatically finding and playing the audio track with the most channels (typically the 5.1-channel track) on DVDs that include multiple audio formats. Built-in decoding for Dolby® Digital and DTS lets you enjoy discrete digital surround sound with any 5.1-ready receiver. The savvy "DVD Navigator" remote includes a shuttle ring and fluorescent buttons to keep you in easy control. And whether you're zipping through a DVD with SmoothScan or studying a scene frame by frame with SmoothSlow, you'll agree that Sony provides the cleanest-looking search modes in the business.
- 5-disc DVD/CD carousel changer
- disc exchange (change 4 discs while the 5th keeps playing)
- plays DVD-Video discs and CDs
- built-in Dolby Digital and DTS decoding with 5.1-channel output
- bass management for Dolby Digital and DTS
- MegaStorage® control for compatible Sony CD changers
- SmoothScan search
- SmoothSlow forward/reverse
- 6 Video EQ modes
- DVD/CD Text
- Custom Parental Control (50-disc)
- Digital Cinema Sound modes
- Virtual Enhanced Surround
- optical and coaxial digital outputs for Dolby Digital/DTS/PCM
- 2 sets of A/V outputs (2 composite video, 2 S-video, and 1 component video)
- headphone jack with volume control and Virtual 3D surround
- DVD Navigator remote control (multibrand for TVs, receivers)
- 96kHz/24-bit audio D/A converter
- audio signal-to-noise ratio 110 dB
- 16-15/16"W x 3-3/4"H x 17-1/4"D
- warranty: 1 year
- designed for use with "Region 1" coded DVDs
What's in the Box:
- 5-DVD/CD changer
- RMT-D121A remote
- 2 "AA" batteries
- 55" S-video cable
- 57" stereo RCA A/V cable with attached 57" S-Link cable
- Operating Instructions
- Owner Registration Card
- Warranty sheet
- Digital Cinema Sound fact sheet
- NetFlix special offer (10 free DVD movie rentals for first time NetFlix.com customers-offer expires 3/31/01)
- Columbia House DVD Club special offer (2 free DVDs-offer expires 8/01/01)
Features and Specs
|Number of Discs||5|
|Parts Warranty||1 YEAR|
|Labor Warranty||1 YEAR|
|Composite Video Outputs||2|
|Component Video Outputs||1|
Playback: For basic video
and high quality two channel stereo playback, this model can be used with
any television with RCA audio and video inputs.
Dolby Digital/DTS Playback: For Dolby Digital or DTS playback, this player may be used with a Dolby Digital/DTS receiver, or you may connect the outputs of the built-in Dolby Digital/DTS decoder to a Dolby Digital "ready" receiver or preamp with a 5.1 channel input.
This model can play the following discs:
- DVD: Plays both 12cm and 8cm (5" and 3") DVDs. Plays both single and double sided DVDs, single and double layer DVDs. Plays only Region Code 1 DVDs
- Video CDs: Plays both 12cm and 8cm (5" and 3") video CDs. Plays Ver 1.1 discs (without PBC functions) and Ver 2.0 discs (with PBC interactive functions).
- Audio CDs (except CD-Rs and CD-RWs): Plays both 12cm and 8cm (5" and 3") audio CDs.
Note: The manual states that this unit CANNOT play CD-Rs, CD-RWs, CD-ROMs or Photo CDs. However, the unit we tested was able to play a CD-RW disc. The unit gives you a NO DISC message when you attempt to play a CD-R, CD-ROM or Photo CD.
Disc Exchange: You can exchange up to 4 discs while playing a fifth (must use disc skip after each one).
Dolby Digital/DTS Decoder: This unit has a built-in Dolby Digital/DTS decoder with bass management features. When a Dolby Digital or DTS encoded disc is played, the decoded signals are output through the 5.1 channel outputs on the back of the unit. The 5.1 channel outputs are for use with Dolby Digital "ready" receivers and preamps. See "Speaker Setup" section below for more info on bass management.
Digital Cinema Sound: This unit is equipped with DSP capabilities to enhance the listening experience. You may select "Off", "VES TV", "VES A", "VES B", "Virtual Semi Multi Dimension", "Normal Surround", "Enhanced Surround", "Virtual Rear Shift", "Virtual Multi Rear", "Virtual Multi Dimension", or "Virtual Surround Headphones".
- "Off": Outputs all channels recorded on the disc being played.
- "VES TV" (Virtual Enhanced Surround TV): Uses 3D sound imaging to create virtual rear speakers from the TV speakers without actually having rear speakers; the "virtual" rear speaker sound appears to come from the sides and rear corners.
- "VES A" (Virtual Enhanced Surround A): Uses 3D sound imaging to create virtual rear speakers from the front speakers without actually having rear speakers; the "virtual" rear speaker sound appears to come from the sides and rear corners.
- "VES B" (Virtual Enhanced Surround B): Uses 3D sound imaging to create virtual rear surround sound from the front speakers without actually having rear speakers; the "virtual" rear speaker sound appears to come from the rear.
- "Virtual Semi Multi Dimension": Uses 3D sound imaging to create virtual rear surround sound from the front speakers without actually having rear speakers; the "virtual" rear speaker sound appears to come from the rear. This mode creates 5 sets of virtual speakers surrounding the listener at a 30 degree angle of elevation.
- "Normal Surround": Applies Dolby Pro Logic processing to 2-channel audio signals to create surround effects from signals that weren't Dolby Pro Logic encoded.
- "Enhanced Surround": Produces a stereo-like effect in the rear channels while decoding a Pro Logic encoded source.
- "Virtual Rear Shift": Shifts the sound of the rear speakers away from the actual speaker position. If the rear speakers are located to the side of the listening position, the sound is shifted to the rear. If the rear speakers are located to the rear of the listening position, the sound is shifted to the side.
- "Virtual Multi Rear": Creates an array of virtual rear speakers from a single pair of speakers.
- "Virtual Multi Dimension": Creates an array of virtual rear speakers from a single pair of speakers. This mode creates 5 sets of virtual speakers surrounding the listener at a 30 degree angle of elevation.
- "Virtual Surround Headphones": Uses 3D sound imaging to place the listener in an acoustically sophisticated movie studio by giving greater definition to the sound.
Track Selection: This allows you to set up the unit to automatically select the audio track with the highest number of channels on DVDs containing multiple audio formats. For instance, when the track selection feature has been set to AUTO and you play a disc that has a 2-channel PCM audio track and a 5.1 channel Dolby Digital audio track, the unit will automatically select the Dolby Digital track.
96kHz/24-bit audio D/A converter: For 96kHz PCM audio DVDs. When playing a 96kHz/24-bit audio DVD, the unit's frequency response is rated at 2Hz-44kHz +/- 1.0dB.
Component Video Outputs: These allow for better color rendition and picture clarity when used with TV monitors equipped with component inputs.
Video EQ: You may choose from six video modes (Standard, Dynamic 1, Dynamic 2, Cinema 1, Cinema 2, or Memory) and adjust the picture, brightness, color, and hue settings of each mode to obtain the picture quality you want.
Resume playback: Allows you to resume playback of a DVD or CD from where you last stopped, even if you turned power off (so long as power is not lost and the tray is not opened).
Pause: In DVD mode, the still picture is detailed and virtually noise-free.
Smooth Scan Picture Search: This allows high quality viewing in high speed, slow speed, and frame by frame in both forward and reverse with almost no pixilization. The speeds are FF2 (30X); FF1 (10X), X2, Normal play, SLOW 1, and SLOW 2 (slower than SLOW 1). Any of these speeds may be selected in forward or reverse direction. Note that during X2 forward and reverse play, audio will still be heard through the analog output at a lower volume.
Jog/Shuttle dial on unit remote: This allows you to access the various picture search and to move frame by frame (jog/step function).
Flip-Down Control Panel: A flip-down panel, located below the disc tray opening, contains Shuffle, Repeat, 1/All, Load, Title, DVD Menu and Return buttons.
10-bit Video Digital to Analog converter: The 10-bit decoder reduces digital artifacts for a better picture.
Bit rate meter: Lots of fun, it lets you monitor the average bit-rate level on a DVD.
Screen Saver Function: If left in pause or stop mode for 15 minutes, a screen saver image appears to prevent your television from becoming damaged.
Variable Headphone Output: The level is controlled with a rotary volume knob on unit.
Random Play: This unit can be set for random playback of discs, titles, chapters or tracks. By selecting "1/All Discs", you can have the player shuffle one disc or all of the discs in the player.
CD-Text and DVD Text: This unit can display the disc titles of CDs and DVDs encoded with text data. CD and DVD Text disc titles are shown on the display and a connected television. Only disc titles are displayed; track titles and artist names are not displayed.
Disc Memo: Up to 300 discs can be labeled with names of up to 20 characters; discs encoded with CD Text or DVD Text cannot be labeled.
Mega CD Changer Control:
- You can control a second Sony 5, 50, 200 or 300 CD changer with this unit IF it has a Control A1 (S-Link) or Control A1 II jack.
- The 2nd Unit's RCA outputs must be connected to the RCA inputs of this unit, and the Control A1 jack of the CD changer must be connected to the Mega Control jack on this unit. When the units are connected this way, the controls on both units will function. You can control the normal CD functions (except audible search) including direct disc and track access.
- OSD: Selects on-screen display language (English, Spanish, French, or Portuguese)
- DVD Menu: Selects language for DVD menu (if the DVD isn't recorded with the selected language, another language is selected by the player)
- Audio: Selects default DVD audio language
- Subtitle: Selects subtitle language or "audio follow" which changes subtitle language to match audio track
- TV Type: Selects 4:3 Letter Box, 4:3 Pan Scan or 16:9/4:3 Wide Mode for widescreen
- Screensaver: Turns screen saver feature on and off
- Background: Selects background color or picture shown on the TV screen when the player is in stop mode or playing a CD. May be set to "Jacket Picture" (jacket picture displayed when disc has been recorded with one), "Picture Memory" (allows you to store a picture from a disc in memory for display), "Graphics" (preset graphics), blue or black.
- Startup Screen: Selects the startup screen. May be set to "Standard" (standard startup screen in player's memory appears) or "Picture Memory" (Your favorite picture appears in the startup screen).
- Auto Play: Selects the setting of the Auto Play feature; may select "OFF", Timer (allows you to play back using an external audio timer), DEMO1 or DEMO2
- Dimmer: Sets the unit's display to bright, dark or off
- Pause Mode (for DVD only): May be set to AUTO (for jitter free display of a picture containing moving subjects) or FRAME (for high resolution, jitter free display of a picture containing stationary subject)
- Bookmark Reset: Allows you to reset all bookmarks
- Parental control: Allows you to enter a 4 digit password to limit playback level on DVDs which support parental controls
- Playback Memory: You can have the unit store the Audio, Subtitle, Angle, Virtual 3D Surround, Digital Video Enhancer, and Video EQ settings for up to 300 discs.
- Audio Attenuation: Selects OFF or ON (lowers analog output level for matching to other audio equipment).
- Audio Dynamic Range Control: Selects Off or On (compresses sound for night listening)
- Center Speaker EQ: Makes the spoken track clear by changing the frequency response when speech is difficult to hear. You can select Flat (outputs the spoken track as it was recorded), Enhanced (enhances the spoken track only), or Soft (makes the sound softer by rounding out the sound frequency above 8 kHz)
- Downmix: Switches the mixing down methods for DVDs with Dolby Digital or DTS audio. May be set to "Dolby Surround" (when unit is connected to a Dolby Pro Logic receiver) or "Normal" (when used with a two-channel, non-Pro Logic, stereo)
- Digital Out: May be set to ON or OFF. When set to ON, the Dolby Digital and DTS settings (see below) can be made.
- Dolby Digital: Determines the type of signal output by the digital outputs when a Dolby Digital encoded disc is being played. May be set to "D-PCM" (downmix PCM) or "Dolby Digital". When "D-PCM" is selected, the digital outputs provide a two-channel stereo PCM digital signal. When "Dolby Digital" is selected, the digital outputs will pass Dolby Digital signals without down mixing.
- DTS: Determines the type of signal output by the digital outputs when a DTS encoded disc is being played. May be set to "D-PCM" (downmix PCM) or "DTS". When "D-PCM" is selected, the digital outputs provide a two-channel stereo PCM digital signal. When "DTS" is selected, the digital outputs will pass DTS signals without down mixing.
- 48kHz/96kHz PCM (DVD Only): Selects the sampling frequency of the audio signal to be output via the digital outputs. You may select 48kHz/16bit (the audio signals of DVDs are always converted to 48kHz/16bit) or 96kHz/24bit (all types of signals are output in their original format). Note: If the signal is encrypted for copyright protections purposes, the signal is only output as 48kHz/16bit.
- Size: Front may be set to LARGE or SMALL, center may be set to LARGE, SMALL or NONE, rear may be set to LARGE, SMALL, or NONE, and subwoofer may be set to NONE or YES.
Note: The cut off frequency for the subwoofer and small speakers is 120Hz. The bass and/or signal which would have gone to channels set as SMALL or NONE is redirected to LARGE speakers or, if connected, a subwoofer.
- Speaker distance: For front, center and rear surround speakers, it allows you to adjust for speaker positioning in feet (and meters) in 1 foot (0.3 meter) increments.
- Test tone: Allows you to set speaker levels (does not function for subwoofer out). May be turned on or off.
- Balance: Front speaker balance allows you to adjust front speaker balance (-6 to +6dB in 0.5dB steps). Rear speaker balance allows you to adjust surround speaker balance (-6 to +6dB in 0.5dB steps).
- Level: The center and rear speaker levels may be adjusted from -6 to +6dB in 0.5dB steps, and the subwoofer level may be adjusted from -10 to +10dB in 0.5dB steps.
The remote allows you to control all the features of the unit. A numeric keypad (0-9) allows you to directly access tracks, and the remote has a jog/shuttle dial. Many of the remote's buttons glow in the dark, but there is no back lighting.
A/V Receiver Volume Control: The remote is precoded to operate the main volume control of the following receivers:
This remote will control the following TVs (controls Power; TV/Video, Volume +/-, Channel +/- and direct channel entry):
|Akai||General Electric||MGA/Mitsubishi||Radio Shack||Teknika|
- Headphone jack with variable rotary volume knob.
- Line Out 1: RCA stereo audio, RCA composite video and S-video out
- Line Out 2: RCA stereo audio, RCA composite video and S-video out
- Component video output (3 RCA outputs Y, PB/B-Y and PR/R-Y)
- 5.1 Output: For connecting to 5.1 ready receivers, there are 6 RCA outputs (left and right front, center, subwoofer and left and right surround)
- S-Link (Control S In): Mono minijack for connection to compatible Sony products
- Mega Control: Mono minijack for connection to compatible Sony CD changers
- Audio In: stereo audio RCA line level inputs for connection to a Mega Control compatible Sony CD changer
- Optical Digital Output: Standard Toslink with cover; can be used with PCM or AC-3 (DTS Compatible)
- Coaxial digital output: Can be used with PCM or AC-3 (DTS Compatible)
Special Offers: At the time of review, the unit included a special offer for 10 Free DVD movie rentals from NetFlix.com (special offer for new NetFlix customers only-offer expires 3/31/01) and a special offer for 2 Free DVDs (plus shipping and handling) from Columbia House DVD Club (offer expires 8/01/01).The included special offers may be available for a limited time only and may not be available in outlet stock. Crutchfield cannot supply replacements for items missing from outlet stock merchandise.
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.