Why Choose Crutchfield?
Great gear and expert advice
Our experts help you pick the ideal gear for your needs.Meet our advisors
Free tech support for the life of your gear.Read about our one-on-one expert help
You may return items that are complete and like new for any reason within 60 days.See the details of our return policy
Earn one point for every dollar you spend and use those points to save on future purchases.Get full details on Crutchfield Rewards
Deep discounts on car installation gear
We offer vehicle-specific installation instructions, dash kits, wiring harnesses, and speaker accessories at deeply discounted prices with car stereo and speaker purchases. Available for most vehicles.Learn more
Trusted since 1974
Our customers have trusted us with their business, and they’ve helped us win awards for our service.Check out our most recent awards
The manufacturer’s warranty always applies.See more details
Our take on the Sony DVP-SR510H by Crutchfield's Marshall Chase
Sony's DVP-SR510H is an excellent yet affordable DVD player. Your DVD library will look remarkably crisp and clear on your HDTV thanks to this player's built-in upscaling. In addition to the great picture you'll get excellent sound from your music CDs, too. (It even plays back MP3 music files burned to recordable CD-R or CD-RW discs.) If you own a home theater system you can hook up the DVP-SR510H and enjoy DVD movie soundtracks in thrilling surround sound. You'll also find composite video and stereo audio outputs for connecting to an older TV or receiver.
This DVD/CD player is compact, sleek and easy to install and use. Also have had no skipping or pauses in play so far, so I'm very please with the new technology. And speaking of technology your tech department is GREAT.... especially Wesley ext 4132!!!!
Anonymous, Mauston, WI
What's in the Box:
- Single-disc DVD/CD player
- RMT-D197A Wireless remote control
- 2 "AA" batteries
- 40" A/V cable (with composite video/stereo RCA connectors on each end)
- Reference Guide
- Startup Guide
- Warranty information
- On-line product registration information
- selectable video resolution up to 1080p via HDMI output
- video upconversion for DVD (via HDMI)
- coaxial digital audio output for Dolby® Digital/DTS®/PCM, plus stereo analog audio outputs
- A/V outputs include HDMI and composite video
- plays DVD-Video, DVD-R & DVD-RW, DVD+R & DVD+RW, Video CD, and JPEG files burned to CD-R & CD-RW (does not play Blu-ray)
- plays CD, CD-R & CD-RW, and MP3, AAC and WMA CDs
- 96kHz/24-bit digital-to-analog converter
- remote control
- 10-9/16"W x 1-7/16"H x 8-3/4"D
- weight: 2.1 lbs.
- warranty: 1 year parts/90 days labor
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- no front-panel digital display
- designed for use with "Region 1" coded DVDs
Sony DVP-SR510H Reviews
Average Customer Review(s):
Thanks for submitting your review
Features and Specs
|Number of Discs||1|
|Parts Warranty||1 Year|
|Labor Warranty||90 Days|
|Composite Video Outputs||1|
|Component Video Outputs||None|
Disc Playback: The Sony DVP-SR510H can play back the following discs.
- DVD Discs: DVD-Video, DVD-R/RW, DVD+R/RW/R DL
- CD Discs: Music CD, Video CD, CD-R/RW
MP3/WMA/AAC Playback: This unit will play MP3 files recorded on CD-ROM, CD-R and CD-RW discs using the ISO 9660 level 1/level 2, or Joliet formats, and DVD-ROM, DVD-R, DVD-RW, DVD+R, DVD+R DL and DVD+RW discs using the Universal Disk Format (UDF). Each disc can have a maximum of 200 albums of 600 files.
JPEG Disc Playback: The unit supports standard definition and high resolution (up to 1080p) playback of JPEG images. This unit will play JPEG files recorded on CD-ROM, CD-R and CD-RW discs using the ISO 9660 level 1/level 2, or Joliet formats and DVD-ROM, DVD-R, DVD-RW, DVD+R, DVD+R DL and DVD+RW discs using the Universal Disk Format (UDF).
Program Play: You can play the contents of a disc (DVD-video, VCD, CD) in the order you want by arranging the order of the titles, chapters, or tracks on the disc to create your own program. You can program up to 99 titles, chapters and tracks.
Parental Control: Parental Control allows you to restrict playback according to a predetermined level. You can select a parental control rating from 0-8, which is protected by a 4-digit password.
Child Lock (Tray Lock): You can lock the disc tray to prevent a child from opening it.
Precision Drive 3 System: Precision Drive 3 reduces errors in playback due to imperfect, scratched or warped DVD discs.
Video D/A Converter: This player uses a 108MHz/12-bit video digital-to-analog converter. This high-bit, high sampling D/A converter helps to reduce digital artifacts to give you a better picture.
Precision Cinema Progressive Technology: Sony's Precision Cinema Progressive (PCP) system detects image changes at the Pixel level. As a result, the picture is more faithful to the source; whether film or video-because separate, optimized algorithms are used to handle the differing Pixel behavior. Separate algorithms are also used to process the moving and still parts of an image, resulting in sharp backgrounds with moving objects that are virtually free from motion artifacts.
HDMI Output With Video Upscaling: The DVP-SR510H reads the data on a standard DVD disc at 480P and maximizes the video resolution to best fit your HDMI compatible TV. This unit can upscale a standard DVD 480p video signal to 720p, 1080i or 1080p through its HDMI output. This allows for you to enjoy the best in video performance while delivering digital video and audio over one simple cable.
Slideshow Playback With Sound: The DVP-SR510H lets you display images as a slideshow with or without sound. If you want to play a slideshow with sound, you'll need to place the JPEG files and MP3 files in the same folder or you can use one of the player's pre-recorded background sounds. During a slideshow you can select one of the following transition effects:
- Mode 1: images randomly cycle through the effects
- Mode 2: next image slides over the previous image
- Mode 3: image sweeps in from top to bottom
- Mode 4: image sweeps in from left to right
- Mode 5: images stretches out from the center of the screen
- Off: turns off this feature
Custom Picture Mode: You can choose from the following Custom Picture Mode settings:
- Standard: Displays a standard picture.
- Dynamic: Produces a bold dynamic picture by increasing the picture contrast and the color intensity.
- Cinema: Enhances details in dark areas by increasing the black level.
- Memory: Allows you to adjust the contrast, brightness, color, and hue individually.
Sharpness: This function sharpens the outlines of images on the TV screen.
- TV Type: Selects the aspect ratio of the player's video output to match your connected TV; you can choose from 16:9 Wide Screen, 4:3 Letter Box, or 4:3 Pan Scan.
- Screen Saver: On or Off; the screen saver image appears when you leave the player in pause or stop mode for 15 minutes or when you play back a disc without video for more than 15 minutes.
- Background: Select the background in stop mode or while playing a CD or an MP3 disc; choose Jacket Picture (shows the jacket picture if supported by the disc), Graphics (shows a preset graphic), Blue (background color is blue), or Black (background color is black)
- Black Level: Set the black level for the video signals output from the composite Video jack.
- 4:3 Output: Adjust this setting to watch a 4:3 aspect ratio movie when you have selected 16:9 as the video output TV Type for this player; you can choose from Full (stretches 4:3 image to fill screen) or Normal (black bands on left and right side screen).
- Auto Power Off: On or Off; the player enters standby mode after being left in stop mode for more than 30 minutes
- Auto Play: useful when the player is connected to a timer (not included); when Auto Play is turned on, playback automatically starts when the unit is turned on.
- Pause Mode: You can select from Auto (no jitter) or Frame (high resolution) for the type of picture output in pause mode.
- Track Selection (DVD only): Select Auto or Off; when Auto is selected, priority is given to the digital audio track with the most channels.
- Multi-disc Resume (DVD/VCD only): The player stores the point where you stopped the disc for up to 6 discs and resumes playback from the stored location the next time you insert the same disc.
Audio D/A Converter: This player features a 192kHz/24-bit audio digital-to-analog converter.
Digital Audio Output Capabilities: You can select the sampling frequency and word length of the audio signal to be output via the digital coaxial output. You can select 48kHz/16-bit or 96kHz/24-bit. When set to 48kHz/16-bit, the audio signals are always converted to 48kHz/16-bit. When set to 96kHz/24-bit, all types of signals, including 96kHz/24-bit, are output in their original format. However, if the signal is encrypted for copyright protection purposes, the signal is output as 48kHz/16-bit.
TV Virtual Surround (TVS): TV Virtual Surround generates a convincing surround sound effect using only two stereo speakers; either with a stereo receiver or directly from the television speakers. You can turn this feature Off or select one of the following settings:
- TVS Dynamic Theater: Uses sound imaging to create a large set of virtual rear speakers and a virtual subwoofer; effective when the front speakers are close together, like the TV's speakers.
- TVS Dynamic: Uses sound imaging to create a single set of virtual rear speakers; also effective when the front speakers are close together.
- TVS Wide: Uses sound imaging to create five pair of virtual rear speakers; effective when the front speakers are close together.
- TVS Night: Large sounds, such as explosions, are suppressed, but the quieter sounds are unaffected.
- TVS Standard: Uses sound imaging to create three pair of virtual rear speakers; effective when using separate front speakers that are farther apart.
Audio DRC (Dynamic Range Control): The dynamic range is lowered so the dialogue stays clear without dynamic bursts of special effects; choose Standard (DRC off), TV Mode, or Wide Range. Audio DRC can be used with any DVD.
A/V Sync: This feature allows for the alignment of the audio track to match the video which is necessary for some new televisions that buffer or delay video.
Multibrand TV Remote: The supplied remote is pre-programmed to operate this unit and a number of functions on certain brands of televisions.
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.
Why did you buy this?
I was looking for a basic reliable DVD player, checked online reviews and ordered from Crutchfield because of their excellent reputation and my positive personal experiences at Crutchfield when I lived in Charlotesville. [ Robert May 09, 2017 ]
Affordable. [ K May 03, 2017 ]
Only available player with RCA output. Used on an older Denon receiver without HDMI inputs. [ ROBERT O Apr 03, 2017 ]
very good reviews for a basic player for the garage TV [ M Mar 31, 2017 ]
Looking for an inexpensive receiver that supports HDCP 2.2 4k. Also just like the ease of use of Sony products. [ Terry Mar 20, 2017 ]
Seemed to fit my TV at low cost, previous unit did not play all my DVDs. [ Neville W. Mar 08, 2017 ]
Good Reviews and can't go wrong with SONY [ Barry Feb 05, 2017 ]
I'm using it to play CDs, not DVDs. I have a similar Sony DVD player, and I've appreciated the sound quality of CDs played on it (connected to a Zvox box). [ Joseph Jan 01, 2017 ]
The price was affordable. [ Robert Dec 27, 2016 ]
Because I have a very old Sony DVD and receiver (bought at Crutchfield) and I needed the component set up [ Martha Dec 20, 2016 ]
Read reviews and this appears to be a fairly good basic DVD at a reasonable price. It can be connected to older televisions as well as newer models requiring an HDMI connection. [ Peter Dec 09, 2016 ]
Did not want a BD player, as this would take way too long to boot; I want on and off. Nearly all my physical media are DVDs, and sitting 9' feet away or so from a 40" HDTV, Blu-ray is of minimal improvement. And I don't want to get into the mindset that I have to replace all my DVDs with Blu-rays, which then might become 4K Blu-rays if a newer TV ever comes along. Or having to play sysadmin to another embedded computer. [ Micah Dec 07, 2016 ]
your fine reputation! [ Dorik Nov 22, 2016 ]
I have an older 2007 Sony XBR TV that does not have the new fangled connectors. I am so happy to find this DVD player that will connect to my older TV. [ LOUIS Nov 07, 2016 ]
Simplicity. [ Christina Sep 26, 2016 ]
Good price [ ALBERTO Sep 14, 2016 ]
Audio jacks/price [ ARTHUR J Aug 18, 2016 ]
Plug in alignment slots matched my Hitachi TV. I made the mistake of buying a different Sony DVD and it couldn't be connected. I must have the Sony Model DVP-SR510 H. No other model will work as I learned from my recent error. [ Noel Jul 24, 2016 ]
Needed a basic, small, DVD player. [ C. Steve Jul 23, 2016 ]
Able to be used with older TV without HDMI inputs, great price, available [ PAUL A Jun 27, 2016 ]
I needed an inexpensive DVD Player with Composite connection to connect with an old tv monitor at church that does not have usb capability. I also read the reviews and felt it would be reliable for my training classes. [ Nancy Jun 03, 2016 ]
I like sony products [ TRUMAN M Apr 20, 2016 ]
Price [ Ronald Apr 12, 2016 ]
Good basic DVD and CD player and excellent support from Crutchfiled. [ James Apr 12, 2016 ]
good deal [ darryl Mar 20, 2016 ]
Need basic CD player that will play bootleg copies. [ John Mar 10, 2016 ]
only affordability and brand name; I believe in Sony. [ koener Mar 07, 2016 ]
I bought the same unit from you about a month ago and it works great and the price is right. [ SHEILA Feb 13, 2016 ]
I like Sony A/V products. I selected this particular model because it has both an HDMI and left and right audio outputs. [ William Feb 09, 2016 ]
Needed a good basic DVD player with HDMI -- no frills, less problems! [ Peter Feb 04, 2016 ]
Simplicity...I'm an "ol' school" guy! [ Clarke Jan 29, 2016 ]
dvd player has right and left audio outputs so it can be hooked up to vintage receivers. I just bought a dvd player that has coaxial digital output, hooked it up to a converter, and only one of my music dvd's will play through my stereo. Hopefully, this will work, like my older players did. An old friend once told me, newer doesn't mean better. I hope this will do what I want. [ Dan Jan 21, 2016 ]
wanted a simple CD player and this fit my needs [ Julia Jan 03, 2016 ]
This appears to be the only DVD/CD player they has the older style analog RCA outputs. If you need to pair this with an older amplifier, then this may be your last (low cost) choice. All Blu-Ray players seem to have eliminated RCA outputs. [ Brian Dec 15, 2015 ]
Replaced my old CRT tv with new smart HD. Old DVD/VCR was not compatible and I did not need Blue Ray unit. Great price! [ john Dec 04, 2015 ]
9 questions already asked
120 only [ LLOYD Feb 22, 2017 ]
120 V [ julian Feb 22, 2017 ]
Not directly, as there is no mini-jack on the player. You would have to get a headphone amplifier with a built-in digital to analog converter (DAC). [ FRED Oct 13, 2016 ]
Alice: there is no connection available.. it connects to a receiver.. no earbuds connection [ Arturo Oct 03, 2016 ]
No repeat function [ KRISTEE Aug 13, 2016 ]
If you purchased the product from Crutchfield, feel free to contact our Tech Support team. Our toll-free Tech Support number is printed on your invoice, and is also available under the "My Orders" tab in the "My Account" section of our website. If you did not purchase the unit from Crutchfield, then you may want to contact the manufacturer. You can also post your question in our forums: http://community.crutchfield.com. Or try our online support center: http://crutchfield.custhelp.com/app/answers/list/kw/. [ Kenny Apr 16, 2016 ] Staff
2 answers Would this CD player (DVP SR510H) produce sound by connecting via a cable to a 3.5 mm audio input? It's for a sauna with built-in radio, speakers etc., but I only need sound for music CD's. No need for DVD. Just the cable and 3.5mm pin from the CD player into the sauna. Dominick Grundy [ Dominick May 27, 2015 ]
Dominick, I bought a few of these and use one in exactly that way, as an audio CD player for a Bose kitchen radio, plugged into the AUX jack. It works fine, although is a bit slow to start playing, (seem to have to hit PLAY twice) but once it starts it works fine. It was the only CD/DVD player I could find that had an analog output for my older TVs. [ Joel May 28, 2015 ]
Sorry. No idea. [ William May 28, 2015 ]
I dont know but this dvd player died pretty fast. [ KENNETH Apr 27, 2015 ]
From my inspection of the included remote, I believe it goes in both directions (advance and replay). Your owners' manual should have the answer in more detail. If you have misplaced the manual (as I appear to have done), you can download the manual from the Sony website. [ FRED Oct 13, 2016 ]
is this tv a 3D set [ Louis Oct 09, 2014 ]
both forward and reverse. [ ANTHONY Sep 29, 2014 ]
This is a DVD player only. It will not burn DVDs so it cannot record. [ JOHNNY Aug 19, 2014 ]
no, that's a DVD player, not a DVD recorder [ Jimmy Aug 14, 2014 ]
This is not a DVR so no you can't. [ ANTHONY Aug 14, 2014 ]
No, this DVD player has no recording capability. It is only intended for playback. [ GREGORY W Aug 14, 2014 ]
A-B usually refers to a speaker pair selection function. Integrated amplifiers and receivers normally have this function, but CD/DVD players do not. [ FRED Oct 13, 2016 ]
I don't know what that is, but Iam very happy with the product. [ STUART H Jan 20, 2014 ]
No. [ RAFAEL Jan 20, 2014 ]
Don't know what a a-b button is for..I know for the price it works great for what I wanted. [ THOMAS Jan 19, 2014 ]