Why Choose Crutchfield?
Great gear and expert advice
Our experts help you pick the ideal gear for your needs.Meet our advisors
Free tech support for the life of your gear.Read about our one-on-one expert help
You may return items that are complete and like new for any reason within 60 days.See the details of our return policy
Earn one point for every dollar you spend and use those points to save on future purchases.Get full details on Crutchfield Rewards
Deep discounts on car installation gear
We offer vehicle-specific installation instructions, dash kits, wiring harnesses, and speaker accessories at deeply discounted prices with car stereo and speaker purchases. Available for most vehicles.Learn more
Trusted since 1974
Our customers have trusted us with their business, and they’ve helped us win awards for our service.Check out our most recent awards
The manufacturer’s warranty always applies.See more details
Our take on the Sony CDX-GT710HD by Crutchfield's Ken Nail
You love radio
Well, maybe not everything about radio. You'd like it if your favorite FM stations had stronger lows, better highs, and more detail, and you get tired of the tinny sound of AM. And for that matter, having a little more choice in programming would be cool, too.
HD Radio™ to the rescue
Help is at hand with Sony's CDX-GT710HD CD receiver, which comes equipped with a built-in HD Radio tuner. This technology allows participating radio stations to broadcast a digital signal with superior sonic characteristics and more features to compatible radios. You won't pay anything extra for the broadcasts, and you don't have to learn any new tricks. Just turn on the radio and tune it in. If your favorite station broadcasts an HD Radio signal, you'll enjoy FM that's like listening to a CD, and AM sound quality that rivals your old FM station. And many HD Radio stations support multi-casting — letting you tune in secondary or tertiary channels on the same frequency. So if you're tired of music, you can tune in the news (or vice versa).
You can customize this receiver's display and button colors to match your car or taste.
CD playback, USB, and Pandora®
You can play all your favorite CDs, of course, and the front-panel USB input accepts most iPod® and iPhone® models. Plug in your player and you'll be able to control your favorite playlists right from the receiver. And if you've discovered the joys of streaming music, you can control Pandora® Internet radio stations from the receiver when your iPhone is connected.
Serious audio and visual options
Sophisticated sound controls, including a 7-band equalizer and a suite of Sony sound-enhancing tools, will blow away those bass and treble controls on your old radio. You can adjust the color of this Sony's display and controls to match your car's interior, or even have the lights of the receiver pulse with the sound of the music when you're ready to kick off a mobile rave.
Want to keep your car's steering wheel audio controls?
In most cars, you'll need an adapter to retain those controls with this car stereo. Connect a few wires, then program the adapter for your particular car and radio, and you'll retain the convenience of your steering wheel controls. You'll see the adapters that work with your vehicle when you add this receiver to your cart.
Note: If you're going to use your iPod with this receiver, be sure to check "Details" for specific iPod model compatibility with this receiver.
Good value for the price. Was mainly looking for a unit with a HD tuner which works great. Plenty of equalizer settings to tune it to your liking. Easy install.
What's in the Box:
- CD receiver (w/ 10A fuse inserted into chassis)
- Sleeve (installed)
- Trim ring (installed)
- Wiring harness
- Remote control (RM-X151)
- CR2025 Lithium battery (installed in remote)
- 2 Radio removal tools
- 4 Flathead ISO-mount screws
- Operating Instructions (En/Fr)
- Installation/Connections sheet (En/Fr)
- US Limited Warranty sheet
- Canada Consumer 1 Year Warranty
- CD receiver with AM/FM tuner
- built-in amplifier (17 watts RMS CEA-2006/52 peak x 4 channels)
- detachable face with single-line LCD display
- built-in HD Radio tuner
- Dynamic Color Illuminator for customizable button and display colors
- Sound Synchronizer times display color changes with your music
- built-in PANDORA Internet radio control when used with your iPhone
- built-in RDS (Radio Data System)
- remote control
- plays CDs and USB devices (see Details for full capabilities)
- EQ7 7-band equalizer, Listener Position calibration, DM+ advanced sound restoration, Rear Bass Enhancer, and Dynamic Loudness
- 24-bit digital-to-analog converter
- adjustable high- and low-pass filters
- iPod direct control via USB input no adapter necessary, but adding an optional connecting cable lets you leave your iPod cable at home
- compatible with SiriusXM satellite radio tuner
- inputs: front-panel auxiliary and USB inputs
- outputs: 6-channel preamp outputs (2-volt front, rear, sub)
Other features and specs:
Sony CDX-GT710HD Reviews
Average Customer Review(s):
Thanks for submitting your review
Features and Specs
|Memory Card Slot||USB memory|
|Satellite Radio Ready||SiriusXM|
|RMS Power Output||17 watts|
|Peak Output||52 watts|
|RMS Power Bandwidth||20-20kHz|
|Sub Preamp Outputs||Yes|
|Switchable Rear Preamp Outputs||No|
|Preamp Voltage||2 volts|
|Key Button Color||Variable|
|Steering Wheel Control Compatible||Adapter required|
|Parts Warranty||1 Year|
|Labor Warranty||1 Year|
|FM Sensitivity||8 dBf|
|Radio Data System||No|
USB 1-Wire iPod/iPhone Control: The Sony CDX-GT710HD's front-panel USB port allows you to connect your iPod/iPhone via the included iPod dock or Lightning connector-to-USB cable that comes with your iPod or iPhone (not included with the head unit). This USB 1-Wire for iPod/iPhone connection lets you directly connect, charge, & control select iPod/iPhones via the USB jack on the front of the unit, as well as view metadata like song title & artist name on the front display.
- Music Playback (w/ bypass of iPod DAC): The CDX-GT710HD supports music playback of stored music and music apps on your connected iPod/iPhone. The USB connection allows your iPod/iPhone's music to be loaded instantly to the head unit and sound quality to be maximized through the head unit's 1-bit D/A converter (bypassing iPod/iPhone DAC), allowing for a Signal-to-Noise ratio up to 120dB.
- Music Navigation: You can choose to control the iPod/iPhone from the head unit or from your iPod/iPhone's clickwheel or touchscreen. The Quick-BrowZer feature allows you to browse your iPod/iPhone's music library by Artist, Album, Song, Genre, Playlist, or Podcast from the head unit. You can search within a specific Quick-BrowZer category or All tracks alphabetically (A-Z). With the head unit's Zappin feature, you can play music tracks & albums in 6, 15, or 30-second clips until you find the song you are looking for on your connected iPod/iPhone. The unit also offers Repeat (Track/Album) & Shuffle (Album) playback modes for iPod/iPhone.
- Information Display: The head unit will display your iPod/iPhone's music file information; including Track #, Elapsed playing time, Song title, Artist name, and Album label.
- Charging: While connected and the ignition switch is set to ACC or ON, the head unit's USB connection will power and charge your iPod/iPhone. If your iPod/iPhone has no initial battery charge, then this unit will not recognize it. This unit will not charge the iPad.
iPod/iPhone Compatibility Chart: The Sony CDX-GT710HD is "Made for iPod/iPhone" compatible and supports the following iPod/iPhone model features (as of 9/19/2014):
|Apple Device||Generation||Tested Version||Media Type||Control Type||Display Type||iTunes Tagging||Charge|
|Audio||Video||Head Unit||iPod||Pandora app||Artist/Song Text||Track Info|
Note: Apple iPod/iPhone software updates may change functionality results. If you download a newer software version, you may need to reset the head unit and your iPod/iPhone to regain functionality. If this doesn't work, you may need to wait until a newer software update is available.
Front-Panel Auxiliary Input: A front-panel stereo 3.5mm mini-jack is provided to allow the connection of a portable audio source. Just connect your portable digital music player to this unit, and you can listen to the audio from the portable player through the speakers in your mobile audio system. The volume level of the auxiliary input is adjustable from -8 to +18 dB to compensate for any difference between the unit and your portable device.
HD Radio: HD Radio technology, where available, offers higher quality sound than conventional analog broadcasts and receives text data. HD Radio provides FM broadcasts that are equal to CD sound quality and AM broadcasts that are as good as analog FM stereo broadcasts. Right now there are about 2,000 radio stations broadcasting using digital HD Radio technology in the U.S. To find HD Radio stations in your area, visit the HD Radio website.
- Metadata Information: HD Radio provides a variety of data; including station name, song title, artist name, album name, etc.
- Multicasting: In addition to conventional broadcasts, with HD Radio broadcasting it is possible to choose from up to 8 multicast programs (HD1 to HD8 and analog). There are also data programs for each program.
- Preset Tuning: The radio features 6 memory bands to
store and receive analog and digital AM/FM stations. You can store up to 6
presets each in FM1, FM2, FM3, AM1 and AM2 (total: 18 FM/12 AM). Preset
tuning can be done manually or automatically.
- Best Tuning Memory (BTM): This feature selects stations with the best signals within the selected band and stores them in order of their frequency. You can select from FM1, FM2, FM3, AM1, and AM2.
- Manual Tuning: You can manually tune and find your favorite radio stations one by one for FM1, FM2, FM3, AM1, and AM2.
- iTunes Tagging: The iTunes Tag button on this unit allows you to tag songs (up to 50) you like that are broadcast by HD Radio stations. Information about these tagged songs is stored by the receiver and transferred to your USB-connected iPod/iPhone. When you connect your iPod/iPhone to your computer, iTunes automatically presents songs in a new "Tagged" playlist so you can preview, purchase, and download them. This function can be operated with the following iPod/iPhone models; iPod nano (3rd generation +), iPod classic, iPod touch, and iPhone.
Note: In addition to HD AM/FM stations, the CDX-GT700HD can also receive conventional analog AM/FM broadcasts.
Pandora App: Pandora is the leading Internet Radio music service in the United States, giving people music they love anytime, anywhere, through personalized radio stations. The Sony CDX-GT710HD provides complete access to your Pandora account using your iPhone, via the head unit's front-panel USB port. To access Pandora you must have an Apple iPhone (iOS5 or later) with the latest version of the Pandora application from Apple's iTunes App Store. Your iPhone will need an active Data Plan account with connection to the Internet via 3G, EDGE, or WiFi. You will also need a Pandora music service account. The CDX-GT710HD will provide control over the Pandora music service & display Artist, Album, & Song information.
- Station List: You can select Pandora stations from your Station List by date or alphabetically (A-Z).
- QuickMix: QuickMix allows you to listen to songs played on one or more Pandora stations in your Station List randomly. You will need to edit your QuickMix station selections on the iPhone before connection.
- Skip Songs: You can skip song tracks within a station. You cannot skip back to a previous song. Pandora limits the number of skips allowed.
- Thumbs Up/Down: You can give songs a thumbs up or thumbs down to help Pandora personalize stations to suit your preferences.
- Bookmarking: The song or artist currently being played can be bookmarked & stored in your Pandora account.
Note: Access to the Pandora service will depend on the availability of a cellular and/or WiFi network for purposes of allowing your iPhone to connect to the Internet. Pandora is not supported in Canada & only available in the United States.
SiriusXM Ready: The Sony CDX-GT710HD comes ready for SiriusXM programming with access to XM and Sirius Satellite Radio stations. Thanks to its proprietary SiriusXM Connect port, you can add the optional SXV200V1 SiriusXM Connect tuner and receive more than 150 channels of exclusive programming directly from SiriusXM, via the "SiriusXM All Access" package (subscription required). Visit SiriusXM.com for a complete list of subscription options and channel guide. Additional features of the SXV200 SiriusXM Connect tuner include:
- Channel list displays a list of all available channels
- Category Search searches for channels in a certain category
- Displayed Information such as Channel Name, Artist Name, & Song Title can be viewed on the head unit's LCD
- Up to 18 SiriusXM Satellite Radio station presets
- Channels containing unsuitable content for children can be blocked
Note: A separate SiriusXM Satellite Radio subscription is required (operates on the XM Network). However, you can easily add this SiriusXM tuner to an existing Sirius or XM account for a Multi-Radio Discount Plan.
Disc Compatibility: The unit features a single disc player that will playback CD-Audio, CD-Text, and finalized CD-R/CD-RW audio discs.
USB Port: The receiver's front-panel USB (type-A) port can be used for plugging in a USB mass storage class (MSC) device; such as select Android smartphones (Froyo/Gingerbread OS only), portable digital audio players, or USB thumbdrives.
MP3/WMA/AAC Playback: The Sony head unit supports playback of MP3, WMA, and AAC music files recorded onto CD-R/RW discs and stored on compatible USB mass storage class devices. Music files recorded onto a disc must be formatted in ISO 9660 level 1 or 2, Joliet/Romeo, or Multi-Session. Music files stored on a compatible USB device must be formatted in FAT.
|Music File Type||Bit Rate||Metadata Tags||Max Folders/Files|
|MP3||up to 320 kbps||ID-3 tags||Disc: 150 folders/300
USB: 10,000 files
Compressed Audio Display Information: The Sony CDX-GT710HD can display the following CD-TEXT or ID3/WMA/AAC-tag information; Track number, Elapsed Playing Time, Song Title, Artist Name, or Album Label.
Search & Playback Modes: The CDX-GT710HD offers a variety of search & playback modes for disc and USB.
- Quick-BrowZer: The unit's Quick-BrowZer feature allow you to search for a track on a CD or from a connected USB MSC device easily by category (Genre, Artist, Album, or Playlist).
- Jump Mode: Jump Mode gets you closer to the song you want by allowing you to fast forward through a music category in 10% increments.
- Zappin: With the Zappin feature, you can play music (files or folders) in 6, 15, or 30-second clips until you find the song you are looking for on your CD or connected USB device.
- Repeat: You can choose to repeats a single track/file or repeat an entire folder/album.
- Random: You can choose to shuffle all tracks/files or a specific folder/album.
Off Insert/Eject: A CD disc can be inserted or ejected with the power off. The head unit will automatically begin disc playback, when a disc is inserted with the receiver set to a different source or powered off.
Auto Reload: The CD player will automatically reinsert the disc if it's ejected, but not removed for 20 seconds or more.
Mounting Angle: For proper CD playback, this unit must be mounted between 0° (horizontal) and 45°.
Dynamic Reality Amp: The internal Dynamic Reality Amp delivers enough power to your speakers, so you can crank up the volume while maintaining low distortion, low noise levels, and smooth frequency response.
- Continuous Power Output: 17 watts RMS x 4 channels (at 4 ohms, 20Hz-20kHz, 1% THD-N)
- Peak Power Output: 52 watts x 4-channels (208 total watts)
Note: The power specifications for the Sony CDX-GT710HD are compliant with the CEA2006 Mobile Amplifier Power Testing and Measurement standards from the Consumer Electronics Association (CEA). These standards were developed as a way to equitably compare power specs from model to model and between manufacturers. The power output specs for the CDX-GT710HD are as follows:
2V/6Ch Preamp Outputs: The Sony CDX-GT710HD is equipped with 2-volt Front, Rear, & Sub pre-amp outputs giving you the ability to connect external amplifiers to your car stereo system.
Subwoofer Controls: The unit's subwoofer preamp output is non-fading. The subwoofer preamp output features a low pass filter with a selectable cut-off frequency of 50Hz, 60Hz, 80Hz, 100Hz, 120Hz, or Off. You can also adjust the slope (1/2/3) of the low-pass crossover. You can even adjust the subwoofer preamp output's volume level independently from the head unit's volume control from -10 to +10 in 1dB increments. In addition, you can select the phase of the subwoofer output from Normal or Reverse.
Subwoofer Direct Connection: You can connect a subwoofer to this head unit without the need of a separate power amplifier. Simply connect a single subwoofer (4-8 ohm) directly to head unit's left or right rear speaker leads (but not both). Same subwoofer controls apply.
High-Pass Filter: The front & rear speaker outputs offer a selectable high-pass crossover frequency of 50Hz, 60Hz, 80Hz, 100Hz, 120Hz, or Off. You can also adjust the slope (1/2/3) of the high-pass crossover.
Advanced Sound Engine: Sony's Advanced Sound Engine creates an ideal in-car sound field with digital signal processing. Advanced Sound Engine contains the following features: EQ7, Listening Position, DM+ Advanced, Rear Bass Enhancer, & Dynamic Loudness.
- EQ7: You can select an equalizer curve from eight music types - Xplod, Vocal, Edge, Cruise, Space, Gravity, Custom, or Off (Flat). The Custom EQ7 mode allows you to make your own equalizer settings. You can adjust the level (+/-6dB) of seven different frequency bands - Band1 (63Hz), Band2 (160Hz), Band3 (400Hz), Band4 (1kHz), Band5 (2.5khz), Band6 (6.3khz), and Band7 (16.0kHz).
- Listening Position: This unit can change the localization of sound by delaying the sound output from each speaker to suit your position, and simulate a natural sound field with the feeling of being in the center of it wherever you sit in the car. You can choose from Front Right, Front Left, Front Center, or Off. You can also set the subwoofer distance of the subwoofer to Near, Normal, or Far
- RBE (Rear Bass Enhancer): RBE enhances the bass sound by applying the low-pass filter setting to the rear speakers. This function allows the rear speakers to work as a subwoofer even if there is no subwoofer connected.
- Dynamic Loudness: Dynamic Loudness refers to compensating for volume level & signal gain.
- DM+ Advanced: DM+ Advanced improves digitally compressed sound by restoring high frequencies lost in the compression process (works only for USB).
Automatic Level Optimizer: Automatic Level Optimizer analyzes each track's playback level & adjusts the output level to optimize transitions between tracks & sources.
Beep Tone: The in-dash head unit provides an audible beep to confirm button operation. This function can be turned On or Off.
Detachable Face: The CDX-GT710HD features a detachable face for theft prevention. No face case is included with this unit. An optional soft face case (142DFC1X, sold separately) can be purchased for this unit.
Caution Alarm: If you turn the ignition switch to the Off position without detaching the front-panel, the caution alarm will sound for a few seconds. The alarm will only sound if the built-in amplifier is used.
Dynamic Color Illuminator (35,000 colors): Dynamic Color Illuminator lets you match the head unit's LCD & button illumination to complement your existing vehicle lighting components. With selectable Sound Synchronization, the timing of the color change is synchronized with the audio source. You can select from 12 preset colors (red/amber/m-amber/yellow/white/light green/green/light blue/sky blue/blue/purple/pink), customized color, & 5 preset patterns (rainbow/ocean/sunset/forest/random). The unit's Dynamic Color Illuminator offers the following advance features.
- Day/Night Color Mode: You can register a customize color for the unit's display and buttons for day & night time driving.
- Sound Synchronization: The color changes according to synchronization of playing music. When you select a preset pattern sound synchronization becomes effective.
- White Menu: You can display the menu more clearly (White text) without concern for the unit's other color settings.
- Start White: When you power-on the head unit, the color of the unit's display and buttons turn white and then the color changes to your chosen customize color. You can enjoy this effect whenever the source is turned on.
Motion Display: This feature shows moving patterns and a spectrum analyzer on the display when turned on.
Auto Scroll: This feature allows long displayed items to scroll automatically across the display when the track is changed on a disc.
Display Illumination/Clock Display: Pressing the Source/Off button once will switch sources. Pressing and holding the Source/Off button for one second will turn off audio output, but the clock display and button illumination remain on. To turn the unit off completely, you must press and hold the Source/Off button for two seconds.
Dimmer: To change the brightness of the display you can set the CDX-GT710HD to one of three dimmer modes - Dimmer Auto (dims the display automatically when you turn your vehicle's lights on), Dimmer Off (deactivates the dimmer), and Dimmer On (display always dim).
Auto Off: When installing in a vehicle without an accessory power wire at the radio location, you can set the unit to turn off all lighting a set amount of time after you turn the power off. The Auto Off feature can be set to 30 seconds, 30 minutes, 60 minutes, or No.
Demo Mode: The head unit's demo mode can be turned On or Off.
Wireless Remote Control: The head unit comes supplied with an IR wireless remote control (RM-X151) for easy operation. The included wireless remote allows you to control the basic functions of the Sony head unit while keeping your eyes on the road.
Steering Wheel Remote Compatibility: The head unit features an OEM steering wheel remote control input on the rear of the unit that lets you keep your vehicle's factory radio steering wheel remote controls when used with an optional steering wheel audio control adapter (sold separately). Please consult Crutchfield's Outfit My Car to see if your vehicle is compatible.
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.
7 questions already asked
If you purchased the product from Crutchfield, feel free to contact our Tech Support team. They can walk you through the settings on the product and see if there may be a fix. Our toll-free Tech Support number is printed on your invoice, and is also available under the "My Orders" tab in the "My Account" section of our website. If you did not purchase the unit from Crutchfield, then you may want to contact the manufacturer. You can also post your question in our forums: http://community.crutchfield.com. Or try our online support center: http://crutchfield.custhelp.com/app/answers/list/kw/. [ Krissy Feb 25, 2015 ] Staff
This radio does come with free install gear for most vehicles. You can find out more about this here: http://www.crutchfield.com/popups/offerdetails.aspx?offerId=10008 [ Jeff Jan 09, 2015 ] Staff
Yes it does. It is a really good radio. We were very happy with it. [ Sandra Jan 13, 2015 ]
yes it does [ Annette Jan 11, 2015 ]
Yes it does Jarred, If you still have the Owners manual that came with the Receiver? Go to page 5, Getting started...It will walk you through the procedure, If not? then here we go...The clock uses 12 hour digital indication, step 1, Press (Menu), rotate the control dial until "GENERAL" appears, then press it. step 2, Rotate the dial until "CLOCK ADJ" appears, then press it. The hour indication flashes. step 3, Rotate the control dial to set the hour and minute. to move the digital indication, Press (SEEK) +/- step 4, After setting the minute, press (MENU)....The set up is complete and the Clock starts. To display the clock, press (DSPL). I have to admit, it took me a few tries to get the sequence of button pushing down pat, but it is the same procedure for most of it's programming functions, except for the display aspect...your time will display when you turn the Key, until you set the function, be it Radio, CD, etc. then it goes away, that's where the (DSPL) come into play...Hope this has been of some Help to you, I carry my Owners Manual in the Glove Box because every now and then the old adage holds true...When in Doubt, Read the Instructions ;-) [ scott Jan 10, 2015 ]
Yes, if you push the display button it will go through several options/ preferences for the screen display. [ EDWARD Jan 09, 2015 ]
yes [ SHELBY J Jan 09, 2015 ]
I have a Samsung S4,its similiar to your S5,didn't try to use it,used my ipod Nano,works fine. [ Michael Dec 22, 2014 ]
Sorry, don't know. It should,as we use it with a KitKat 4.1 Samsung phone. 1 yr. old. HTH. [ JEFFREY Dec 22, 2014 ]
The only thing that should matter is the file type used (ie. mp3 or wpa) and this deck plays both of those types. Speed (24x, 48x, etc) really only effects the sound quality and file size. I haven't had any issue with playing 48x or 128x (which is the iTunes standard and is CD quality) on this deck so far but I did notice slightly worse sound with the 48x CD because the file is simply not as high of quality. If you want the best quality sound coming through your speakers that iTunes can give than go with maximum (128x) which is CD quality and enjoy! But if you want to be able to put more songs on the CD and don't mind losing some sound quality then go with the lower speeds and you should be good. Enjoy! [ JOHN C Mar 24, 2014 ]
You will want to contact an Advisor by phone (1-800-324-9695) or online chat to discuss compatibility with your factory system. They will be able to pull up your vehicle and see if this will integrate. If it does not, then they will also be able to discuss other options with you. [ Jeff Jan 27, 2014 ] Staff
Not sure about the Gen 5's works with the Gen 4. Satisfied with the purchase easy to install and gave my 99 Cobras Mach factory system a little boost. Wife liked it so much were looking at the Sony WX-GT90BT for her. [ CHARLES L Dec 31, 2013 ]
Don't know much about (Generation) I have a (nano) I bought from a local store and I connect it to new radio and it fits perfectly. [ Michael Dec 30, 2013 ]
Sorry Rich, I don't have an Ipod. Contact Sony. [ JEFFREY Dec 28, 2013 ]
I don't have a touch, but it works great with the iPhone 4, 5, and 5s and the original iPad, all of which I have had plugged into mine so I'd bet the iPod would work as well. The USB port even charges the device while you are listening to it. [ JOHN C Dec 28, 2013 ]
Why not just call Crutchfield and ask? I'm not using an I-pod so I really don't know. [ John Dec 28, 2013 ]