Why Choose Crutchfield?
Great gear and expert advice
Our experts help you pick the ideal gear for your needs.Meet our advisors
Free tech support for the life of your gear.Read about our one-on-one expert help
You may return items that are complete and like new for any reason within 60 days.See the details of our return policy
Earn one point for every dollar you spend and use those points to save on future purchases.Get full details on Crutchfield Rewards
Deep discounts on car installation gear
We offer vehicle-specific installation instructions, dash kits, wiring harnesses, and speaker accessories at deeply discounted prices with car stereo and speaker purchases. Available for most vehicles.Learn more
Trusted since 1974
Our customers have trusted us with their business, and they’ve helped us win awards for our service.Check out our most recent awards
The manufacturer’s warranty always applies.See more details
Sony Cyber-Shot® DSC-H90 Bundle
16.1-megapixel/16X optical zoom camera with 4GB memory card and soft carrying case
From Sony: 4 Picture Effects
Sony: How to capture a great outdoor group photo
Item # 158H90KPKG | MFR # DSCH90/BBDL
This item is no longer available.
Our take on the Sony Cyber-Shot® DSC-H90 Bundle by Crutchfield's James Ralston
Start shooting right away with this convenient camera bundle
Sony's put their compact, high-zoom DSC-H90 digital camera together with a soft case and a memory card everything you need to get out there and start snapping colorful, detailed pictures. This camera gives you generous optical zoom without weighing you down. Plus, you get a host of user-friendly Sony extras that make shooting with this camera easy and fun.
Snap clear, true-to-life "people" shots
The DSC-H90 finds the faces in your frame and automatically adjusts its settings to give you crisp, attractive photos of friends and family. Capture fleeting smiles with the help of "smile shutter" mode, which automatically snaps a picture when it spots a grin. If your subject starts to squint as you take a photo, an anti-blink function snaps two quick shots, and then records only the one with your subject's eyes wide open.
This creative camera knows when to hold your hand
Add your own creative touches with Sony's Picture Effects filters. Choices like Toy Camera or Partial Color will give a new and unique slant to the photos you take. Intelligent Scene Recognition mode will walk you through challenging scenarios and select the correct settings for your surroundings. And the Dynamic Range Optimizer will dig details out of areas you might have feared lost to shadow or highlights.
Panoramic photos and 720p HD movie mode
This camera boasts plenty of other cool features, too. You can create panoramic photos that reach beyond the scope of an ordinary wide-angle lens by sweeping the camera horizontally or vertically across your scene the 'H90 stitches several images together in-camera to form one seamless photo. And a handy HD movie mode lets you shoot high-definition 720/30p footage when you'd rather save memories as moving pictures.
- bundle includes camera, 4GB SDHC memory card, and soft carrying case
- 16.1-megapixel effective recording
- 16X optical zoom
- records photos and video onto optional SD/SDHC/SDXC memory cards and Memory Stick® PRO Duo media
- 3", 230K-dot LCD screen
- 35mm equivalent lens focal length: 26-416mm (16:9 still mode)
- zooms from wide-angle, for photos of landscapes or large groups, to long telephoto for faraway details
- Optical SteadyShot® image stabilization
- high-definition movie mode (up to 720/30p resolution)
- Sweep Panorama mode assembles several images into one photo
- variable ISO settings, including a high sensitivity mode (ISO 3200) for low-light shooting without a flash
- face detection controls focus and exposure for accurate portraits
- smile recognition holds shutter response until the camera detects that your subject is smiling
- anti-blink function captures two images and records the one with the least amount of squinting
- in-camera editing functions for retouching and special effects, including red-eye reduction
Connections and Dimensions:
- high-speed USB interface
- 4-1/8"W x 2-3/8"H x 1-3/8"D
- weight (with battery): 7.8 oz.
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- NP-BG1 rechargeable lithium battery
- battery charger
- multi-connector cable (A/V, USB)
- shoulder strap
What's in the Box:
- The Sony DSC-H90 Camera Bundle contains the following separately packaged items:
- Black camera case
- 4 GB Class 4 SDHC memory card
- and the DSC-H90 camera
- The DSC-H90 box includes: Digital still camera (black)
- Wrist strap
- NP-BG1 Lithium-Ion rechargeable battery (3.6 Volts/3.4 Wh/960 mAh) in a plastic case
- BC-CSGD Battery charger (4.2 V/0.25 A)
- 24" USB cable (has Type A USB on one end and proprietary connector on the other end)
- Instruction Manual (English/Spanish)
- Quick Start Guide (English/Spanish)
- Warranty sheet
- Online registration sheet
- PlayMemories brochure
Features and Specs
|LCD Screen Size||3"|
|Lens 35mm Equivalent||26-416mm|
|Internal Memory||27 MB|
Memory Stick PRO Duo + PRO-HG Duo
|Sensor Size||1/2.3" CCD|
|Highest Resolution||4608 x 3456|
|Video Resolution||1280 x 720|
|Weight With Battery (ounces)||7.8|
|Parts Warranty||1 Year|
|Labor Warranty||1 Year|
Package Contents: This DSC-H90 Camera Bundle includes the Sony DSC-H90 digital camera, a black camera case, and a 4 GB Class 4 SDHC memory card.
3" LCD Screen: The Sony Cyber-shot DSC-H90 digital camera has a 3.0" Clear Photo LCD display with 460,000 dots. The LCD brightness control lets you set the brightness from 1 (dark) to 5 (bright). The camera does not include a separate viewfinder.
Dual Media: This camera has 27 MB of internal memory. This camera is also compatible with the following recording media: Memory Stick Duo (still images only), Memory Stick PRO Duo (Mark 2 only for movie recording), Memory Stick Pro-HG Duo, SD, SDHC, and SDXC memory cards (Class 4 or higher).
Image Recording Formats: The camera records still images in JPEG format. Moving images with audio (mono) are recorded in MPEG-4 format.
Image Sensor: For optimal image quality, the camera uses a 7.75mm (1/2.3") color Super HAD CCD image sensor with approximately 16.4-million total pixels and 16.1-million effective pixels.
G-Series Lens: Designed and manufactured to the highest standards of optical performance, the Sony G-Lens is optimized to perfectly complement the advanced image sensors and image processing technology in Sony's cameras. The DSC-H90 camera features a wide-angle G-series lens that will widen your view and capture more of the city, landscape, or group portrait. The lens has a 16x optical zoom and a focal length of 24mm to 384mm (35mm equivalent) for still images, 25-400mm for 16:9 movies and 31-496mm for 4:3 movies. It has an aperture range of F3.3 to F8.0 (W) and F5.9 to F14 (T).
Smart/Precision Digital Zoom: The camera has a Precision Digital Zoom of 4x. Combined with the 16x optical zoom, the maximum total zoom is 64x. The camera's Smart zoom technology intelligently uses the full image sensor to let you zoom into the portion of interest by cropping the image size, thus avoiding the image degradation found in most digital zooms. The maximum zoom scale depends upon the image size:
|Image Size||Maximum Smart Zoom|
Note: Smart zoom is not compatible with 16M or 16:9 (12M)
Optical SteadyShot: With Optical SteadyShot image stabilization, the DSC-H90 uses a built-in gyro sensor to compensate for shaky hands, minimize blur, brighten images, and allow flash-free shooting to preserve the mood.
Still Image Sizes: When recording digital still images, the DSC-H90 allows you to choose from six image sizes:
- 16M (4608 x 3456)
- 10M (3648 x 2736)
- 5M (2592 x 1944)
- VGA (640 x 480)
- 16:9-12M (4608 x 2592)
- 16:9-2M (1920 x 1080)
Recording Movies: Besides recording still images, you can also record MPEG-4 movies (with AAC audio) at 30 frames per second. Available image sizes include 1280 x 720 Fine (bit rate 9 Mbps), 1280 x 720 Standard (6 Mbps), and VGA 640 x 480 (3 Mbps).
Note: You can shoot continuously for approximately 29 minutes. Maximum MPEG-4 movie file size is approximately 2 GB.
Burst/Bracket Modes: The camera offers two multiple-image shooting modes:
- Burst: The burst mode lets you shoot multiple images when you press and hold down the shutter release. Up to 100 images can be recorded at the highest resolution (16M) at approximately 1 frame per second. Focus, White Balance, and Exposure Value (EV) are set with the first image.
- Bracket: The bracket mode lets you shoot a series of 3 images, each with a different exposure setting--one at normal exposure, one under exposed, and one over exposed. You can select three different step values: 0.3 EV, 0.7 EV, or 1.0 EV. You can also choose a bracket mode with the white balance at normal, shifted toward blue, and shifted toward red.
Self-Timer: You can set the Self-Timer mode to a 10-second or 2-second delay so you can be in the picture. You can also select two Self-Portrait Timer modes which will capture the image 2 seconds after the face of one person or two people are detected.
Focus Modes: You can select from three auto focusing methods:
- Multi AF: The camera focuses in nine areas around the center of the frame. This method is helpful when your subject is not centered in the frame.
- Center AF: The camera focuses on a subject in the center of the frame. By pressing the shutter release halfway, you can lock the focus on your subject and recompose your shot with the subject off center.
- Spot AF: The camera focuses on a very small area in the center of the frame.
Tracking Focus: If you are trying to photograph a moving subject, you can use the tracking focus feature to keep the subject in focus as it moves around the frame. If Face Detection and tracking focus are used at the same time, the camera will track a selected face if it is registered with the camera.
AF Illuminator: The AF (auto focus) Illuminator briefly provides fill light to focus more easily on a subject in dark surroundings. You can set the AF Illuminator to Auto or Off.
Face Detection: Face Detection technology detects up to eight individual faces and controls flash, focus, exposure, and white balance to deliver accurate, natural skin tones with reduced red-eye. It can also give priority to children or adults. You can also select and register an individual's face to be given priority.
Anti-Blink Function: The Anti-blink function works to help counter blinking and squinting. When the camera is set to Soft Snap, the Anti-blink function captures two images, recording only the photo with less squinting. If a blink is detected in other shooting modes, a warning will be displayed after you take the shot so you can determine whether or not you need to take another shot.
Smile Shutter Mode: The Smile Shutter technology automatically detects and captures a smiling face. Simply activate by pressing the Smile Shutter button and the camera will capture a smile the moment it happens. You can adjust the degree of Smile Detection Sensitivity as desired.
Scene Recognition: Scene Recognition mode automatically detects eight different types of scenes and selects the appropriate camera settings: Portrait, Infant, Night Portrait, Night Scene, Backlight Portrait, Backlight, Landscape, Spotlight, Low Light, and Macro. You can select from Auto or Advanced Scene Recognition modes.
Shooting Modes: Using the top-mounted Mode Dial, you can select from the following shooting modes:
- Scene Selection Modes: You can choose from the following Scene Selection modes:
- Soft Skin: Allows you to shoot faces with smooth-looking skin
- Soft Snap: Allows you to shoot images with a softer atmosphere for portraits, flowers, etc.
- Landscape: This mode is used for shooting landscapes at a distance.
- Night Portrait: This mode is used for shooting people in the foreground at night.
- Night Scene: This mode is used for shooting a distant subject at night.
- High Sensitivity: The camera shoots without flash in low light, reducing blur. Any size image available. Sensitivity increased up to ISO 3200.
- Gourmet: Shoots food arrangements in delicious color.
- Pet: Allows you to shoot images of your pet with the best settings.
- Beach: This mode is for shooting at seaside or the lakeside.
- Snow: This mode shoots whitish scenes brightly.
- Fireworks: This mode allows you to record fireworks in all their splendor.
- Advanced Sports Shooting: Allows you to shoot fast movements such as in sports; while the shutter button is pressed halfway, subject motion is predicted and focus is adjusted automatically.
- Intelligent Auto Mode (iAuto): Allows you to shoot still images with the settings adjusted automatically.
- Program Auto: Allows you to shoot with the exposure adjusted automatically (both the shutter speed and aperture value). You can also select various settings using the menu.
- Manual: You can set the exposure manually. The shutter speed can be set between 1/1600 and 30 seconds. The aperture (F value) can be set between F3.3 and F8.0 (Wide Angle) or between F5.9 and F14 (Telephoto).
- Sweep Panorama Mode: The camera can take vertical or horizontal panoramic shots of up to 224-degrees, or a full 360-degree panoramic image.
- Movie Mode: Allows you to record MPEG-4 movies with mono audio.
Exposure Compensation: Besides auto exposure, you can adjust the exposure from +2.0EV to -2.0EV in 1/3 stop increments.
Built-In Flash: The camera's built-in flash features a range of 11-7/8" to 12' 1-3/4" with the zoom set to wide and 3' 11-1/4" to 6' 10-3/4" with the zoom set to telephoto. The flash settings include:
- Auto: the flash automatically strobes when the surroundings are dark
- On: the flash strobes with every shot
- Slow Synchro: the flash is used regardless of the amount of ambient light, but the shutter speed is slower under dark conditions, allowing you to clearly shoot a background that is out of the flash-lit area.
- Off: the flash does not operate
Red-eye Reduction: The flash pre-strobes before shooting to reduce the red-eye phenomenon. You can set to Auto (when Face Detection is activated), On, or Off.
Metering Modes: You can select Spot, Center-weighted, or Multi-pattern Metering. Spot metering lets you adjust the exposure to the subject, even when the subject is a backlit or when there is strong contrast between the subject and the background. Center-weighted metering measures the center of the image and determines the exposure based on the brightness of the subject. When multi-pattern metering is used, the image is divided into multiple regions and metering is performed in each region. The camera judges the subject position and background brightness, and determines a well-balanced exposure.
White Balance: When the white balance is set to auto, the white balance is set automatically in response to the condition of the subject, and the overall color balance is adjusted. When shooting under special lighting conditions, you can select the settings manually. When using flash, you can select the flash white balance mode. The white balance can also be set to Incandescent, Fluorescent 1 (white fluorescent), Fluorescent 2 (natural white fluorescent), Fluorescent 3 (day white fluorescent), Daylight, Cloudy, One Push (adjust white balance depending on the light source) or One Push Set (memorizes the basic white color which will be used).
Grid Lines: The cameras on-screen grid lines make it easy to set a subject's horizontal and vertical position.
Histogram: A histogram is a graph showing the brightness of an image. The graph display indicates a bright image when skewed to the right side, and a dark image when skewed to the left side.
In-camera Function Guide: An on-screen function guide text/icon display makes it easy to learn the camera functions that give you greater creative freedom to adjust photo settings. The function guide can be turned on or off as desired.
Date and Time: Each time you take a picture, the camera records the date and time. The date and time are not superimposed on the picture, instead saved in a data file along with the image. Using the included PMB software, you can print or save images with the date.
View Modes: The Sony DCR-H90's View Mode allows you to select your recorded images and movies by date, folder (stills), or folder (movies).
Auto Orientation: When the camera is rotate to shoot a portrait (vertical) image, the camera records it position change and displays the image in the portrait position.
Index View: In addition to viewing images one-by-one in full screen, you can view multiple images at once in the index view mode. The index feature lets you to display a total of 16 (4 x 4) or 25 (5 x 5) images.
Slide Show: The Slide Show function lets you play back images one after the other. You can select from the following slide show effects (Simple, Nostalgic, Stylish, or Active). Each effect has a preset music soundtrack, or you can choose from the 4 selections. A slide show without music can also be chosen. The interval between the pictures can be adjusted, allowing you to choose 1, 3, 5, and 10 seconds or automatic to suit the selected effect. You can select Folder play (all images in the selected folder), All play (all images on the memory card), or This Date (all images from selected date). When repeat is selected, the images are replayed in a continuous loop.
Playback Zoom: You can enlarge a recorded still image up to 8x the size of the original image. Once the image is zoomed, you can pan left to right and up or down through the image.
Rotating Images: Recorded images can be rotated 360-degrees in 90-degree increments on the camera's LCD screen.
Retouching Still Images: You can add effects or make corrections to a recorded images and then record it as a new file while the original image is retained. You can use the following features to edit your recorded images:
- Trimming: playback zoom is performed on the image and part of the image is cropped
- Red Eye Correction: corrects the red-eye phenomenon caused by flash
- Unsharp Masking: sharpens the image within a chosen frame
Deleting/Protecting Images: You can delete a selected image, or you can delete all the unprotected images at once. In order to avoid accidentally deleting of an image, it can be protected.
Print Mark: You can place a print mark on still images recorded with this camera. This mark is convenient when you have images printed at a shop that conforms to the DPOF (Digital Print Order Format) standard.
Battery Information: The DSC-H90 is powered by the supplied NP-BG1 Lithium-ion rechargeable battery, or the optional NP-FG1 Lithium-Ion battery. Using the supplied BC-CSGD battery charger, the battery can be fully charged in approximately 330 minutes, or 270 minutes for a normal charge. Under normal operating conditions, the battery has the following capacity:
|Function||Battery Life||Number of Images|
|Recording Stills||Approx. 145 min||Approx. 290 images|
|Playback||Approx. 280 min||Approx. 5600 images|
|Recording Movies||Approx. 120 min||---|
Eco Mode: The Eco Mode lets you conserve battery power by turning the screen off or shutting down the camera automatically after a certain period of inactivity. You can choose from two options of Eco Mode: Standard and Max. The Max setting saves battery power better than when set to Standard by turning off the screen or camera sooner.
USB/AV Output: The camera features a single proprietary jack on the bottom of the camera for connecting the supplied USB cable for downloading your photos to your computer or printer, or the optional VMC-15CSR1 A/V cable for viewing images on a TV. The interface is USB 2.0 High Speed compatible.
Built-in Software: The DSC-H90 has the following built-in software that can be installed on your computer when you connect the camera via USB:
- PlayMemories Home (Windows Only): With the PlayMemories
Home software you can:
- Import and display images recorded on the camera.
- View images in your computer by organizing them by shooting date on a calendar.
- Correct still images (red-eye correction, etc.) print, send images by email, and change shooting date/time.
- Save and print images with the shooting date inserted.
Note: The "PlayMemories Home" software is compatible with Windows 7, Vista, and XP operating systems only. If you wish to play back images on a Mac, you can use applications that are pre-installed on your Mac.
- Music Transfer (Windows/Mac): Music Transfer allows you to replace the Music Files provided in the camera at the factory with your favorite tracks, and to delete and add Music Files. You can import MP3 files from your computer hard drive, CD tracks, or preset music saved on the camera. Music Transfer is compatible with the following operating systems: Windows 7 SP1, Windows Vista SP2 (except for Starter Edition), and Windows XP SP3 (except for 64-bit and Starter editions).
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.