Why Choose Crutchfield?
Great gear and expert advice
Our experts help you pick the ideal gear for your needs.Meet our advisors
Free tech support for the life of your gear.Read about our one-on-one expert help
You may return items that are complete and like new for any reason within 60 days.See the details of our return policy
Earn one point for every dollar you spend and use those points to save on future purchases.Get full details on Crutchfield Rewards
Deep discounts on car installation gear
We offer vehicle-specific installation instructions, dash kits, wiring harnesses, and speaker accessories at deeply discounted prices with car stereo and speaker purchases. Available for most vehicles.Learn more
Trusted since 1974
Our customers have trusted us with their business, and they’ve helped us win awards for our service.Check out our most recent awards
The manufacturer’s warranty always applies.See more details
Action-oriented, Wi-Fi®-equipped rugged camera for extreme sports videography
Watch a product review
Crutchfield: Sony Action Camcorders
From Sony: HDR Action Camcorder
Item # 158HDRAS15 | MFR # HDR-AS15/B
This item is no longer available.
Our take on the Sony HDR-AS15 by Crutchfield's Woody Sherman
I can't believe what I just saw
Maybe you've seen some of the spectacular videos online that feature extreme sports footage. There is nothing more immediately compelling than extreme wide-angle, point-of-view video of people doing something your brain tells you not to do. Personally, I've seen videos of sky-diving, bungee-jumping, and men in aerodynamic "flying squirrel" suits dive-bombing down the fjords of Norway. And while I'm not that adventurous, perhaps you are. If you're a cyclist, water-skier, skateboarder or snow-shoer if your favorite pastime involves speed, the elements, and skill outdoors the Sony HDR-AS15 is for you. Strap it on, stick it on a helmet, tie it to your vehicle. I guarantee it will deliver a level of personal involvement you haven't seen before in your videos.
Share your exploits in minutes
Now take the amazing content you've generated and connect your 'AS15 to an available Wi-Fi® network. Add the available free PlayMemories Mobile app from Sony to your Android or Apple® smartphone or tablet and you'll be able to transfer and compress movie clips and photos from the camera without cables then share them over social networks while you're still mopping your sweaty brow.
Rugged and sharp-sighted
The 'AS15 comes standard with a custom-crafted waterproof/dirtproof/dustproof enclosure that is rated down to an impressive 197 feet. That's rugged. Plus, the Exmor® R CMOS sensor and Sony's SteadyShot technology will combine to give this camera stable shots and exceptional low light performance.
Savor the moment
What good is a spectacular shot of a freestyle skier leaping over your head without the ability to stretch the moment with impressive slow-motion? While the 'AS15 shoots lush 1080/30p video, it also captures crisp 720p video at 30, 60 and 120 frames per second. The latter two rates, when played back at 30 fps, give you spectacular 2X and 4X slow-motion, so you can explore technique, equipment performance, or simply enjoy the awesome beauty of a well-played moment.
Take it anywhere
This camera is extremely compact and lightweight and mounts virtually anywhere. A large button on the back of the camera (and waterproof enclosure) allows you to start and stop recording with a simple button push, even with gloves on.
Not a bad camera. VGA mode is Blury on a monitor(PC). Std is better.
Escapemax, Trenton, NJ
What's in the Box:
- Black action camera/camcorder
- Clear waterproof case
- NP-BX1 Lithium-Ion battery (3.6V / 1240mAh)
- 37" USB cable (Type A USB on one end and micro USB on the other)
- Battery tray "X" (installed)
- Battery tray "G"
- Attachment buckle
- Flat adhesive mount
- Curved adhesive mount
- Operating Guide
- Warranty sheet (US)
- Warranty sheet (Canada)
- captures HD video in 1080p/30 frames-per-second and 720p/30/60/120 fps
- HD SLOW 2x (1280 x 720, 60p) and HD SLOW 4x (1280 x 720, 120p) shoot slow motion, which is ideal for studying and refining form and technique
- Wi-Fi-enabled camera shares movies and pictures with compatible Android and Apple® smartphones and tablets through free downloadable PlayMemories Mobile app
- ultra-wide angle Carl Zeiss® Vario-Tessar® lens gives a sharp, clear 170-degree viewing angle
- included rugged, waterproof housing seals against dust, grime, and mud, and is waterproof to 197 feet
- SteadyShot® image stabilization with active mode helps to cancel the effects of camera shake
- threaded tripod mount is integrated into the waterproof housing
- HDMI (micro) output enables live streaming to a compatible monitor
- snaps 2-megapixel still JPEG images
- interval recording function can be set to 5/10/30/60 seconds
- records to Memory Stick Micro and Micro SD/SDHC cards (not included)
- Exmor® R CMOS sensor gives great performance in low-light situations
- includes camera, battery, adhesive mounts, waterproof case, micro USB cable, manual
- includes NP-BX1 lithium ion battery
- USB port for easy connection to a PC (cable included)
- micro HDMI port for easy playback on an HDTV (cable not included)
- 1"W x 1-7/8"H x 3-1/4"D
- weight: 3.17 oz. with battery and memory
- warranty: 1 year parts, 90 days labor
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
Sony HDR-AS15 Reviews
Average Customer Review(s):
Thanks for submitting your review
Features and Specs
|LCD Screen Size (inches)||N/A|
|Total Pixel Count||16,800,000|
|Effective Pixel Count for Video||11,900,000|
|Aspect Ratio||16:9, 4:3|
|Optical Zoom||1 x|
|Built-in Video Light||No|
|Max Recording Time w/ Included Battery||140 min (HQ)|
|Digital Still Camera Features|
|Effective Pixel Count for Stills||11,900,000|
|Built-in Photo Flash||No|
|Still Image Aspect Ratios||16:9|
|Inputs and Outputs|
|USB Port||2.0 High Speed|
|Weight With Battery (ounces)||3.2|
|Parts Warranty||1 Year|
|Labor Warranty||90 Days|
|Image Sensor Warranty||1 Year|
Overview: The Sony HDR-AS15 is a lightweight, durable digital HD video camera designed to capture point of view during action sports. It comes with a waterproof clear plastic case, and can be mounted in a variety of places, using the supplied surface mounts and other optional mounts. It can record Full HD 1080p video as well as high quality 2MP still images. The AS15 also has built-in Wi-Fi so you can share your videos wirelessly to your smartphone or tablet.
Image Sensor: The AS15 is equipped with a 1/2.3" Exmor R CMOS image sensor with 16.8-million gross pixels and 11.9-million effective pixels.
Lens: The ultra wide angle Carl Zeiss Vario-Tessar lens gives you a wide 170° perspective. It has a bright F2.8 aperture, and a 15.3mm focal length (35mm equivalent) for video. If desired, you can set the camera to record at a narrower 120° field angle.
Recording Media: You can record HD video and Still Images onto Memory Stick Micro (Mark2), microSD, and microSDHC memory cards. An 8GB memory card can hold approximately 60 minutes of video at the highest resolution or about 10,500 2MP still images.
Note: Class 4 or higher microSD cards are recommended.
Built-in Wi-Fi: The AS15 has built-in Wi-Fi (IEEE 802.11b/g/n). You can operate the camera using the Smart Remote Control function, or transfer and display images on to a smartphone or tablet wirelessly via the downloadable "PlayMemories Mobile" app (compatible with iOS and Android). The Smart Remote Control function allows you to start/stop recording, change shooting mode, and change the SteadyShot and Field Angle settings.
Video Recording: The HDR-AS15 can record Full HD AVCHD video (MPEG-4 AVC/H.264) with AAC audio. You can choose from five recording resolution options:
|Display||Recorded Image||Resolution||Frame Rate|
|HQ||Highest resolution||1920 x 1080||30p|
|STD||High resolution||1280 x 720||30p|
|SLOW||Slow motion image recorded at 2x frame rate (no audio)||1280 x 720||60p|
|SSLOW||Super slow motion image recorded at 4x frame rate (no audio)||1280 x 720||120p|
|VGA||Standard Resolution||640 x 480||30p|
Still Image Recording: The AS15 can record JPEG still images with a resolution of 1920 x 1080 (16:9). Since the camera isn't designed for single image shooting, multiple still photos are taken at regular intervals. You can choose from 5, 10, 30, and 60 second intervals.
SteadyShot: The camera has built-in SteadyShot for reducing camera-shake when shooting. When the field angle is set to 170°, SteadyShot will be set to Off. When SteadyShot is On, the field angle will be set to 120°. SteadyShot is not effective in Super Slow Motion recording mode.
Viewing Images: The HDR-AS15 has a micro-HDMI connection on the bottom of the camera. You can connect the camera to a TV that has an HDMI input with a microHDMI-to-HDMI cable (not included). You can play back movies or still images via HDMI, and select them using the Previous and Next buttons on the camera.
Battery Options: The AS15 comes with the NP-BX1 Lithium-Ion rechargeable battery. The camera will also accept NP-BG1, and NP-FG1 batteries. The battery is charged in the camera via USB, or using the optional AC-UD20 USB charger (sold separately). The Recording, Playback, and Charging time of the batteries (in minutes) are as follows:
|Battery Pack||Continuous Recording Time||Typical Recording Time||Playback Time||Charging Time|
USB Power Supply: When the camera is connected to a computer via USB, you can set the camera to be powered by the connected device. This allows you to operate the camera while it is connected to your computer.
Accessories: The HDR-AS15 has the following supplied and optional accessories:
- Waterproof Case (SPK-AS1): This supplied clear plastic waterproof case allows you to shoot movies in the rain or at the beach. It has a locking case cover with an O-ring seal to maintain its water resistance. Once the AS15 is inserted into the case, you can only operate the Start/Stop button. All other settings must be set before placing the camera into the case. To prevent accidental operation, the case has a sliding Hold lever around the Start/Stop button. The case has a standard 1/4"-20 tripod thread on the bottom so you can mount it on the supplied attachment buckle or a tripod.
- Attachment Buckle/Adhesive Mounts (VCT-AM1): The supplied Attachment Buckle mounts to the Waterproof Case via the 1/4"-20 tripod thread. The Attachment Buckle slides and locks into either of the supplied Adhesive Mounts. The camera comes with a flat Adhesive Mount and a curved Adhesive Mount for applying to different shaped surfaces.
- Handlebar Mount (VCT-HM1): The optional Handlebar Mount is used for attaching the Waterproof Case on the handlebar of a bicycle. The mounting plate is adjustable so you can set the camera at the angle you desire.
- Waterproof Head Mount (VCT-GM1): The optional Waterproof Head Mount kit allows you to attach the Waterproof Case to a strap or headband. The kit consists of a Goggle Mount and a Headband. You can also use your own headband, but it must be 1.5" or narrower in width.
- Headband Mount (BLT-HB1): The optional Headband Mount lets you wear the camera on your head for an eye-level perspective. The Headband Mount cannot be used with the Waterproof Case, so you cannot use it in wet conditions.
Computer Compatibility: The HDR-AS15 comes with no software, but requires you to download "PlayMemories Home" software from the Sony website. Once you have downloaded the software, you can connect the camera and register it with the software so its functions can be used. "PlayMemories Home" is compatible with Windows XP (SP3), Windows Vista (SP2), and Windows 7 (SP1). For Macs, you can import images from the camera and play them with appropriate supplied software.
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.
Product reviews from the Crutchfield Labs
by Zak Billmeier
If your favorite pastime involves speed, the elements, and skill outdoors, a Sony Action Camcorder is for you. Strap it on, put it on a helmet, tie it to your vehicle.
1 question already asked
You can't change it, it's burned into the camera's wi-fi. Sony provides a self stick label that you attach to the camera if you wish so you don't loose it. Good news is that you only have to enter the password into your mobile device once, after that whenever you connect to the camera the password is saved (like any other wi-fi network). [ BRUCE Jan 25, 2014 ]
The WiFi password for the action can? I don't believe you can. So keep your manual! [ Andrew Jan 25, 2014 ]