Why Choose Crutchfield?
Great gear and expert advice
Our experts help you pick the ideal gear for your needs.Meet our advisors
Free tech support for the life of your gear.Read about our one-on-one expert help
You may return items that are complete and like new for any reason within 60 days.See the details of our return policy
Earn one point for every dollar you spend and use those points to save on future purchases.Get full details on Crutchfield Rewards
Deep discounts on car installation gear
We offer vehicle-specific installation instructions, dash kits, wiring harnesses, and speaker accessories at deeply discounted prices with car stereo and speaker purchases. Available for most vehicles.Learn more
Trusted since 1974
Our customers have trusted us with their business, and they’ve helped us win awards for our service.Check out our most recent awards
The manufacturer’s warranty always applies.See more details
1080/60p action video camera with Wi-Fi® and GPS
Item # 158HDRAS30 | MFR # HDRAS30V/B
This item is no longer available.
Our take on the Sony HDR-AS30V/B by Crutchfield's Woody Sherman
I can't believe what I just saw
Maybe you've seen some of the spectacular videos online that feature extreme sports footage. There is nothing more immediately compelling than extreme wide-angle, point-of-view video of people doing something your brain tells you not to do. Personally, I've seen videos of sky-diving, bungee-jumping, and men in aerodynamic "flying squirrel" suits dive-bombing down the fjords of Norway. And while I'm not that adventurous, perhaps you are. If you're a cyclist, water-skier, skateboarder or snowboarder — if your favorite pastime involves speed, the elements, and skill outdoors — the Sony HDR-AS30 may be just the camera for you. Strap it on, stick it on a helmet, tie it to your vehicle. I guarantee it will deliver a level of personal involvement you haven't seen before in your videos.
Overlay built-in GPS location and speed information on the videos generated by the HDR-AS30.
Share your exploits in minutes
Now take the amazing content you've generated and connect your 'AS30 to an available Wi-Fi® network. Just one touch to an NFC-enabled smart device will get you going. Add the available free PlayMemories Mobile™ app from Sony to your Android™ or Apple® smartphone or tablet and you'll be able to transfer and compress movie clips and photos from the camera without cables — then share them over social networks while you're still mopping your sweaty brow.
Rugged and sharp-sighted
The 'AS30 comes standard with a custom-crafted waterproof/dirtproof/dustproof enclosure that is rated down to an impressive 197 feet. That's rugged. Plus, the Exmor® R CMOS sensor and Sony's SteadyShot™ technology will combine to give this camera stable shots and exceptional low light performance. And the embedded GPS capability of the 'AS30 will let you add things like location and speed metadata to your videos, so your audience will shake their collective heads as they realize just how fast you were going.
The Sony HDR-AS30 is small, lightweight, and mounts almost anywhere.
This latest Sony action video camera release also takes great 11.9-megapixel still images, so you'll have another mode for documenting your adventures. And an adjustable intervallometer lets you take pictures every 5, 10, 30, or 60 seconds.
Savor the moment
What good is a spectacular shot of a freestyle skier leaping over your head without the ability to stretch the moment with impressive slow-motion? While the 'AS30 shoots lush 1080/60p and 30p video, it also captures crisp 720p video at 30, 60 and 120 frames per second. The latter two rates, when played back at 30 fps, give you spectacular 2X and 4X slow-motion, so you can explore technique, equipment performance, or simply enjoy the awesome beauty of a well-played moment.
Take it anywhere
This camera is extremely compact and lightweight and mounts virtually anywhere. A large button on the back of the camera (and waterproof enclosure) allows you to start and stop recording with a simple button push, even with gloves on.
What's in the Box:
- Black action camera/camcorder
- Clear waterproof case (installed)
- NP-BX1 Lithium-Ion battery (3.6V 1240mAh 4.5Wh)
- 24" USB cable (Type A USB on one end and micro USB on the other)
- Attachment buckle
- Flat adhesive mount
- Curved adhesive mount
- Operating Guide (Eng)
- Operating Guide (Fren/Span)
- Warranty sheet (US)
- Warranty sheet (Canada)
- PlayMemories Home update information sheet
- captures HD video in 1080p/60/30 frames-per-second and 720p/30/60/120 fps
- 2x slow motion (1280 x 720, 60p) and 4x slow motion (1280 x 720, 120p) modes for studying and refining form and technique
- Wi-Fi-enabled camera shares movies and pictures with compatible Android and Apple® smartphones and tablets through free downloadable PlayMemories Mobile apps
- one-touch near-field communication (NFC) simplifies pairing to Wi-Fi-enabled devices
- built-in GPS adds location and speed information to your videos
- ultra-wide angle Carl Zeiss® Vario-Tessar® f/2.8 lens gives a sharp, clear 170-degree viewing angle
- included rugged, waterproof housing seals against dust, grime, and mud, and is waterproof to 197 feet
- SteadyShot® image stabilization with active mode helps to cancel the effects of camera shake
- SteadyShot reduces angle of view to 120°
- threaded tripod mount is integrated into the waterproof housing
- HDMI (micro) output enables live streaming to a compatible monitor
- snaps high-quality 12-megapixel still JPEG images
- interval recording function can be set to 5/10/30/60 seconds
- records to Memory Stick Micro and Micro SD/SDHC cards (not included)
- Exmor® R CMOS sensor gives great performance in low-light situations
- includes camera, battery, adhesive mount, waterproof case, micro USB cable, operating guide
- includes NP-BX1 lithium ion battery
- USB port for easy connection to a PC (cable included)
- micro HDMI port for easy playback on an HDTV (cable not included)
- 1"W x 1-7/8"H x 3-1/4"D
- weight: 2 oz. with battery and memory
- warranty: 1 year parts, 90 days labor
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
Sony HDR-AS30V/B Reviews
Average Customer Review(s):
Thanks for submitting your review
Features and Specs
|LCD Screen Size (inches)||N/A|
|Total Pixel Count||16,800,000|
|Effective Pixel Count for Video||11,900,000|
|Aspect Ratio||16:9, 4:3|
|Built-in Video Light||No|
|Max Recording Time w/ Included Battery||140 min|
|Digital Still Camera Features|
|Effective Pixel Count for Stills||11,900,000|
|Built-in Photo Flash||No|
|Still Image Aspect Ratios||16:9|
|Inputs and Outputs|
|USB Port||2.0 High Speed|
|Weight With Battery (ounces)||2|
|Parts Warranty||1 Year|
|Labor Warranty||90 Days|
|Image Sensor Warranty||1 Year|
Overview: The Sony HDR-AS30V is a lightweight, durable digital HD video camera designed to capture point of view during action sports. It comes with a waterproof clear plastic case, and can be mounted in a variety of places, using the supplied surface mounts and other optional mounts. It can record Full HD 1080p video as well as high quality 12MP still images. The AS30V also has built-in Wi-Fi so you can share your videos wirelessly to your smartphone or tablet or control it remotely.
Image Sensor: The AS30V is equipped with a 1/2.3" Exmor R CMOS image sensor with 16.8-million gross pixels and 11.9-million effective pixels for movies and photos, and 2-million for interval photo recording.
Lens: The ultra wide angle Carl Zeiss Vario-Tessar lens gives you a wide 170° perspective. It has a bright F2.8 aperture, and a 15.3mm focal length (35mm equivalent) for video.
Recording Media: You can record HD video and Still Images onto Memory Stick Micro (Mark2), microSD, microSDHC, or microSDXC memory cards. An 8GB memory card can hold approximately 35 minutes of video at the highest resolution or about 1350 12MP still images.
Note: Class 4 or higher microSD cards are recommended.
Built-in Wi-Fi: The AS30V has built-in Wi-Fi (IEEE 802.11b/g/n). You can operate the camera using the Smart Remote Control function, or transfer and display images on to a smartphone or tablet wirelessly via the downloadable "PlayMemories Mobile" app, compatible with iOS (4.3 or later) and Android (4.3 or later). Some Android devices (4.0 or later) can be connected via One-touch Functions via NFC. The Smart Remote Control function allows you to start/stop recording, change shooting mode, and change the SteadyShot and Field Angle settings.
Note: The camera's Airplane Mode lets you disable all functions related to the wireless applications.
GPS: The AS30V is equipped with a GPS receiver that will record the location information and movement speed while recording movies. The PlayMemories Home software (downloadable from the internet to your PC) allows you to import movies with the GPS log to a computer and view them with a map showing the location information.
Video Recording: The HDR-AS30V can record Full HD AVCHD video (MPEG-4 AVC/H.264) with AAC audio. You can choose from six recording resolution options:
|Display||Recorded Image||Resolution||Frame Rate|
|PS||Highest resolution/smooth image recorded at 2x frame rate||1920 x 1080||60p|
|HQ||Highest resolution||1920 x 1080||30p|
|STD||High resolution||1280 x 720||30p|
|SLOW||Slow motion image recorded at 2x frame rate (no audio)||1280 x 720||60p|
|SSLOW||Super slow motion image recorded at 4x frame rate (no audio)||1280 x 720||120p|
|VGA||Standard Resolution||640 x 480||30p|
Note: The video system can be to NTSC or PAL, depending upon the TV system of the country where you use the camera. Some functions are not available with the PAL system.
Still Image Recording: The AS30V can record 12MP JPEG still images with a resolution of 4608 x 2592 (16:9). You can also take a series of 2MP (1920 x 1080) still photos at regular intervals. You can choose from 5, 10, 30, and 60 second intervals.
SteadyShot: The camera has built-in SteadyShot for reducing camera-shake when shooting. When the field angle is set to 170°, SteadyShot will be set to Off. When SteadyShot is On, the field angle is reduced to 120°. SteadyShot is not effective in Super Slow Motion recording mode.
Underwater Scene Mode: When preparing to shoot underwater using the supplied SPK-AS2 waterproof case, you can activate a special scene mode for underwater shooting. In all other cases, the Normal scene mode should be used.
Viewing Images: The HDR-AS30V has a micro-HDMI connection on the bottom of the camera. You can connect the camera to a TV that has an HDMI input with a microHDMI-to-HDMI cable (not included). You can play back movies or still images via HDMI, and select them using the Previous and Next buttons on the camera.
Battery Options: The AS30V comes with the NP-BX1 Lithium-Ion rechargeable battery. The battery is charged in the camera via USB, or using the optional AC-UD20 USB charger (sold separately). The Recording, Playback, and Charging time of the batteries (in minutes) are as follows:
|Battery Pack||Continuous Recording Time||Typical Recording Time||Playback Time||Charging Time|
Note: The recording and playback time will be shorter when the Smart Remote Control function is on.
USB Power Supply: When the camera is connected to a computer via USB, you can set the camera to be powered by the connected device. This allows you to operate the camera while it is connected to your computer.
Accessories: The HDR-AS30V has the following supplied and optional accessories:
- Waterproof Case (SPK-AS2): This supplied clear plastic waterproof case allows you to shoot movies in the rain or at the beach. It has a locking case cover with an O-ring seal to maintain its water resistance. Once the AS30V is inserted into the case, you can only operate the Start/Stop button and the PREV and NEXT buttons. To prevent accidental operation, the case has a sliding Hold lever around the Start/Stop button. The case has a standard 1/4"-20 tripod thread on the bottom so you can mount it on the supplied attachment buckle or a tripod.
- Attachment Buckle/Adhesive Mounts (VCT-AM1): The supplied Attachment Buckle mounts to the Waterproof Case via the 1/4"-20 tripod thread. The Attachment Buckle slides and locks into either of the supplied Adhesive Mounts. The camera comes with a flat Adhesive Mount and a curved Adhesive Mount for applying to different shaped surfaces.
- Handlebar Mount (VCT-HM1): The optional Handlebar Mount is used for attaching the Waterproof Case on the handlebar of a bicycle. The mounting plate is adjustable so you can set the camera at the angle you desire.
- Waterproof Head Mount (VCT-GM1): The optional Waterproof Head Mount kit allows you to attach the Waterproof Case to a strap or headband. The kit consists of a Goggle Mount and a Headband. You can also use your own headband, but it must be 1.5" or narrower in width.
- Headband Mount (BLT-HB1): The optional Headband Mount lets you wear the camera on your head for an eye-level perspective. The Headband Mount cannot be used with the Waterproof Case, so you cannot use it in wet conditions.
Computer Compatibility: The HDR-AS30V comes with no software, but requires you to download "PlayMemories Home" software from the Sony website. Once you have downloaded the software, you can connect the camera and register it with the software so its functions can be used. "PlayMemories Home" is compatible with Windows Vista (SP2), Windows 7 (SP1), and Windows 8, as well as Mac OS X v10.6 - v10.8.
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.