Why Choose Crutchfield?
Great gear and expert advice
Our experts help you pick the ideal gear for your needs.Meet our advisors
Free tech support for the life of your gear.Read about our one-on-one expert help
You may return items that are complete and like new for any reason within 60 days.See the details of our return policy
Earn one point for every dollar you spend and use those points to save on future purchases.Get full details on Crutchfield Rewards
Deep discounts on car installation gear
We offer vehicle-specific installation instructions, dash kits, wiring harnesses, and speaker accessories at deeply discounted prices with car stereo and speaker purchases. Available for most vehicles.Learn more
Trusted since 1974
Our customers have trusted us with their business, and they’ve helped us win awards for our service.Check out our most recent awards
The manufacturer’s warranty always applies.See more details
120GB high-definition hard drive camcorder
Item # 158HDRSR12 | MFR # HDRSR12
This item is no longer available.
Our take on the Sony HDR-SR12 by Crutchfield's Tara W.
Capture weddings, family picnics, and exotic vacations in stunning high-definition detail. Sony's compact HDR-SR12 records to an impressive built-in 120-gigabyte hard drive, which holds up to 48 hours of high-def video or 84 hours of standard-def video. And this camcorder delivers smooth, detailed footage in 1080i, the same resolution used for most high-definition TV shows.
Advanced features for superb video
The 'SR12 features a sophisticated Carl Zeiss® lens and a 3.8-megapixel image sensor for detailed, lifelike footage. Optical image stabilization keeps your handheld shots steady without degrading the picture quality of your recordings.
A manual dial located on the 'SR12's lens barrel puts enhanced shooting control at your fingertips. You can use it to make precise manual focus adjustments or change exposure settings to give your high-def movies the right look. Or, turn off the control dial altogether and use the "Easy" button for fully automatic, worry-free filming.
Widescreen movies and photos
The 16:9 flip-out LCD makes it easy to compose scenes that match your widescreen TV at home, and then review them afterward. Use this cam's digital photo mode to snap pictures in standard or 16:9 widescreen format. There's even a Dual Record mode for capturing sharp digital pictures while simultaneously filming video.
Share your memories
A mini HDMI output allows you to send high-definition video and digital audio to a compatible TV or audio/video component through a single convenient cable (not included). And it's easy to transfer videos and photos to a PC via the included Handycam Station. Connect the station to your computer's USB port, then simply set the 'SR12 in place whenever you want to transfer video and photos. Plus, the docking station's audio/video connections let you drop in the camcorder to quickly view your videos on your TV.
This video camera is amazing! Works flawlessly with both iMacs and MacBook Pro. Sony should let people know this rather than just mentioning Windows compatibility.
Curtis, Portage, MI
What's in the Box:
- AVCHD hard-drive camcorder
- NP-FH60 InfoLithium battery pack (7.2V/7.2Wh)
- RMT-835 wireless remote control
- 1 CR2025 lithium battery (installed in remote)
- AC-L200 AC adapter with attached 5.5' cord (DC output: 8.4V/1.7A)
- 5' AC power cord
- DCRA-C210 Handycam Station
- 57" A/V connecting cable with in-line ferrite core (has left and right RCA audio connectors and an RCA composite video connector on one end and a proprietary connector on the other end)
- 5' Component video/stereo audio cable (has three RCA component video connectors and two stereo RCA connectors on one end and a proprietary connector on the other end)
- 5' USB cable with in-line ferrite core (has a USB Type A connector on one end and a Mini USB Version 2.0 connector on the other end)
- Handycam Application Software CD-ROM
- "Let's Enjoy Video" DVD
- Operating Guide (English/Spanish)
- Warranty sheet
- Online product registration information
- "Notes on using a computer and compatibility of AVCHD discs" sheet
- Sony Accessories brochure
- records 1080i high-definition or standard-definition digital video video to a built-in 120GB hard disk drive
- maximum video resolution 1920 x 1080
- 120GB holds approximately:
- 14 to 48 hours of high-definition footage, depending on the video setting
- 29 to 84 hours of standard-definition footage, depending on the video setting
- 5.66-megapixel ClearVid CMOS image sensor (2.86 effective in 4:3, 3.81 effective in 16:9)
- x.v.Color technology
- digital photo mode with top JPEG resolution of 3680 x 2760
- Dolby® Digital 5.1-channel audio
- slot for optional Memory Stick Duo or Memory Stick PRO® Duo
- 3-3/16" widescreen touchpanel LCD
- color viewfinder
- variable-speed 12X Carl Zeiss® Vario-Sonnar® T* optical zoom lens (digital zoom to 150X)
- optical Super SteadyShot®
- Super NightShot®
- 16:9 widescreen mode for video and digital photos
- auto and manual focus (via an assignable dial)
- white balance settings
- shutter speed: 1/30 - 1/250 seconds
- 10 Program AE (Auto Exposure) settings, including Portrait, Sports Lesson, Beach and Candle
- high-speed USB port (on included Handycam Station)
- mini HDMI output on camcorder (HDMI cable not included)
- analog audio/video output (on camcorder and included Handycam Station)
- Active Interface Shoe for powering an optional accessory
- microphone input
- headphone jack
- 3-1/4"W x 3"H x 5-1/2"D
- weight: 22 oz. with battery
- warranty: 1 year parts, 90 days labor
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- Handycam Station
- AC adapter/charger
- rechargeable InfoLithium® battery (NP-FH60)
- wireless remote
- audio/video and USB cables
- Picture Motion Browser software for transferring and copying videos (Windows® only)
Sony HDR-SR12 Reviews
Average Customer Review(s):
Thanks for submitting your review
Features and Specs
|LCD Screen Size (inches)||3.2|
|Total Pixel Count||5,660,000|
|Effective Pixel Count for Video||3,810,000|
|Aspect Ratio||4:3, 16:9|
|Optical Zoom||12 x|
|Digital Zoom||24 x|
|Night Imaging||Super NightShot|
|Image Stabilization||Super SteadyShot|
|Built-in Video Light||No|
|Max Recording Time w/ Included Battery||115|
|Digital Still Camera Features|
|Effective Pixel Count for Stills||---|
|Built-in Photo Flash||Yes|
|Still Image Aspect Ratios||4:3, 16:9|
|Inputs and Outputs|
|USB Port||2.0 High Speed|
|Weight With Battery (ounces)||22|
|Parts Warranty||1 Year|
|Labor Warranty||90 Days|
|Image Sensor Warranty||---|
Touch Panel XtraFine LCD Screen: The 3.2" widescreen (16:9) XtraFineLCD screen provides excellent viewing clarity and resolution. The high resolution 921,000 pixel (1920 x 480) LCD screen rotates up to 270° for multiple viewing angles providing sharp, detailed images for monitoring or playback. The widescreen format makes shooting in 16:9 mode and composing shots easy. Mirror mode allows you to view a mirror-image of the subject you are shooting in the LCD screen when the screen is rotated 180° forward, but the image remains normal when recorded. Additionally the LCD doubles as an "on-screen" touch panel, allowing you to navigate the menu system by touching the LCD screen. The LCD also features an adjustable brightness level. The LCD screen frame contains zoom and recording controls for added convenience.
Viewfinder: The camcorder also features an electronic color 16:9 viewfinder. You can view images using the viewfinder with the LCD panel closed to avoid wearing down the battery or when the image seen on the LCD screen is poor due to excessive glare. The viewfinder features an adjustment lever that allows you to adjust the viewfinder until the image is clear a well as a brightness adjustment. The viewfinder can also be lifted and angled for various shooting conditions.
Note: When the LCD Panel is closed the viewfinder becomes activated.
Hybrid Recording: Hybrid recording technology delivers flexibility for transferring your video footage and digital photos from the camcorder to compatible viewing devices. You can record to the camcorder's internal hard disk drive, or choose instead to record to removable Memory Stick Duo media or Memory Stick PRO Duo media. You can even select from various dubbing functions to easily copy video or still images from the hard disk drive to Memory Stick media without using a PC. Images recorded or transferred to Memory Stick media can then be played directly on a PC.
Hard Drive Camcorder: The Sony HDR-SR12 has a 120GB hard drive which will allow you to record video and still images. When recording video, the camcorder records in Dolby Digital 5.1 audio using the built-in microphone. The only method to hear this feature is to transfer the video files to your computer and make a DVD of your recordings.
Drop Sensor: The Sony HDD Handycam HDR-SR12 is equipped with a Drop Sensor to protect the camcorder's internal hard disc drive. When the drop sensor has detected that the camcorder has been dropped, recording or playback may be disabled to protect the internal hard disk.
AVCHD 1080i Format: This camcorder captures high definition video footage in the AVCHD 1080i format as well as standard definition video in MPEG2. The AVCHD format is a high definition video camcorder format used to record an HD signal in 1080i on the units internal hard disk drive using efficient data compression coding technology. MPEG-4 AVC/H.264 is used to compress the video data while Dolby Digital or Linear PCM is used to compress the audio data. The result is image resolution of approximately 4.5 times that of standard definition image quality. Using the enclosed PC software, high definition footage can be copied onto DVD media through your computer. However, DVD media containing AVCHD footage should not be used with standard DVD based players or recorders, as the DVD player/recorder may fail to eject the media and may erase its contents without warning. DVD media containing AVCHD footage may be played on a compatible Blu-ray Disc player/recorder or other compatible devices.
5.8mm (1/3.13-type)ClearVid CMOS Sensor: Sony's newly designed 5.8mm ClearVid CMOS image sensor delivers bright, vivid, and spectacularly detailed video and still image footage with prolonged battery life. The ClearVid CMOS Sensor provides stunning detail and clarity with exceptional video up to 1080 lines of horizontal resolution in HD mode and 530 lines in SD Mode. The HDR-HC11's ClearVid CMOS Sensor provides 5,660,000 gross pixels. The 2,860,000 effective video pixels in 4:3 mode and 3,810,000 pixels16:9 mode provide excellent detail and clarity for exceptional digital video with up to 1080 lines of horizontal resolution. The 5,080,000 effective still megapixels in 4:3 mode and 3,810,000 effective still megapixels in16:9 mode provide exceptional digital still photography performance.Exmor Technology and BIONZ Image Processor: Exmor technology captures images with high resolution and high sensitivity. In addition, the advanced Sony BIONZ image processor improves camera response time and screens out noise so the signal from each pixel is as pure as possible. The advanced Sony BIONZ Image Processor uses hardware-based Large Scale Integrated (LSI) circuitry that improves camera response time, screens out noise before RAW data conversion, handles Dynamic Range Optimization processing, and prolongs battery life.
Dynamic Range Optimizer: Powered by the exclusive Sony's BIONZ high-speed processing engine, Dynamic Range Optimization preserves image data in bright highlights, such as suppressing "whiteout" in skies. When shooting in backlit settings, Dynamic Range Optimization reveals more detail in shadows, preventing "blackout." As a result, the captured image appears as natural as the original scene
Progressive Shutter System: A mechanical shutter system provides progressive scan performance while utilizing an interlaced scanning system. Digital still images will be sharp and clear with excellent definition.
X.V. Color: x.v.Color can capture or display nearly twice as many (1.8x) viewable colors than currently possible. This provides a more accurate and vivid color range, for a more natural, lifelike overall experience.
Professional Quality Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T Lens: This camcorder features a Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T lens, which is among some of the most advanced multi-layer coating systems in the world, resulting in even less glare and lens flare with increased contrast compared to other systems. The result is vivid image brilliance, true-to-life color saturation and perfect renditions of subtle tones.
Zoom: The camcorder has a 12x Optical Zoom for bringing your subject up close. It also features a selectable 24x or 150x digital zoom. Because the picture is processed digitally, the picture quality deteriorates the more you zoom in. The power zoom lever can be moved slightly for a slow zoom, or moved further for a faster zoom.
Super SteadyShot Optical Picture Stabilization: The HDR-SR12 uses the advanced Super SteadyShot optical picture stabilization to remove unwanted picture shake without compromising picture quality. Since this is an optical stabilization system, it achieves a higher level of smoothness than most digital stabilization systems.
Super NightShot: This unit is equipped with NightShot and Super NightShot, which allow you to shoot a subject in complete darkness (0 lux) using infra-red technology. With NightShot, you can record natural color images in low-light conditions without the blurring common with other low-light recording systems. Super NightShot records at a maximum of 16 times more sensitivity than NightShot. You can make the colors deeper by using the built-in infrared NightShot light. You can also record clearer pictures in color by activating the Color Slow Shutter function.
Focus Modes: The Sony Handycam HDR-SR12 features Manual, Auto Focus and Tele Macro modes.
- Manual Focus: With manual focus, you can manually adjust the focus of the camcorder using the touch panel. Manual focusing also allows you to control the focus in difficult situations where either the environment or the subject does not allow the camcorder's auto focus to perform optimally, such as when shooting through a window or in a crowded environment.
- Auto Focus: You can also select automatic focusing. When using autofocus, you can choose to focus on a subject in the center of the screen or with Spot Focus, focus on an off-centered object.
- Tele Macro: This feature is useful when shooting small subjects, such as flowers or insects. You can blur out backgrounds and the subject stands out clearer. You can record subjects as close as 18-5/8 inches in Tele-Macro mode.
Exposure Modes: The Sony Handycam HDR-SR12 features the following Auto, Manual and Scene Select Exposure Modes.
- Scene Select Modes: The following Scene Select modes
are available to suit your specific shooting requirements -
- Twilight Mode: maintains the darkening atmosphere of the distant surroundings in twilight scenes
- Twilight Portrait Mode: select to take a subject in the foreground against a night view
- Candle Mode: maintains the dim atmosphere of a candlelit scene
- Sunrise/Sunset Mode: maintains the atmosphere of situations such as sunset and sunrises
- Landscape Mode: allows you to shot distant subject clearly
- Fireworks Mode: select to record all the splendor of fireworks
- Portrait Mode: brings out the subject such as people or flowers while creating a soft background
- Spotlight Mode: prevents people's faces from appearing excessively white when subjects are lit by strong light
- Snow Mode: helps with shooting in very bright white conditions
- Beach Mode: prevents people's faces from appearing dark in strong light or reflected light.
- Auto: Select this mode to automatically record pictures effectively without the preset scene select modes
- Manual Exposure: Manual Exposure allows you to fix the brightness of your picture manually. You can adjust the brightness when the subject is much brighter or darker than the background.
Spot Meter: This feature allows you to adjust and fix the exposure to the subject, so that it is recorded in suitable brightness even when there is a strong contrast between the subject and the background.
Backlight: When you shoot a subject with the light source behind the subject or a subject with a light background, you can use the backlight function.
Auto Slow Shutter: The Auto Slow Shutter automatically changes the shutter speed to 1/30 second for recording in low light.
White Balance Adjustment: When the white balance is correct, all other colors will be accurately reproduced. This camcorder can adjust the white balance automatically, and it gives you the option to perform manual white balance adjustment. Besides auto white balance, you may select Outdoor mode, Indoor Mode, or One Push (to record with the white balance adjusted depending upon the light source).
Color Slow S (Color Slow Shutter): This feature allows you to record an image brighter in color even in dark places.
Data Code Function: The camcorder automatically records time codes along with the still images and video you shoot, so you can display the date and time along with various camera settings during playback or editing.
Hard Disk Information: This feature allows the camcorder to display the hard disk information so you can check the approximate amount of free hard disk space left for recording.
Date Index: You can view your videos or images according to the date that they were taken.
Visual Index Screen: The Visual Index Screen shows 6 or 12 thumbnail images of movies and still images when playing back on your camcorder, making scene selection simple.
Saving Video: Recorded video and still images can be stored on the internal hard disk of your camcorder. Due to the limited capacity of the internal hard disk (40GB), you should save the video data to some type of external media such as a DVD-R or a computer. You can save the videos recorded on the camcorder as described below.
- Picture Motion Browser Software: By
using the software of the supplied CD-ROM you can save images on a DVD or
the hard disk of your computer in high definition or standard definition.
You can use several methods to do this.
- One Touch DVD Burn: You can save images and files with ease by pressing DVD Burn button on the supplied Handycam Station and using the supplied Picture Motion Browser software. This feature allows you to backup what is on the hard drive with the still images being recorded first.
- Saving Images To Your Computer: You can also transfer and save video files that are too large for a DVD to the hard disk of your computer.
- Creating a DVD With Selected Images: In addition, you can save images imported to your computer on a DVD. You can also edit those images.
- VCR and DVD/HDD Recorders: You can dub images played back on your camcorder to other recording devices, such as VCRs or DVD/HDD recorders through the unit's A/V output. The recording will done in standard definition.
- USB Port: You can dub to movie dubbing compatible DVD writers using the camcorder's USB port and supplied USB cable.
Formatting: You can delete all the images on the hard disk of camcorder or Memory Stick Pro Duo to recover recordable free space to allow you to write in by formatting the camcorder.
Empty: The Empty feature allows you to write non important data onto the hard disk of the camcorder. By doing this, it makes it more difficult to recover any original data from the hard drive. When you dispose of or transfer the camcorder to someone, it is recommended that you perform this function. You must use the AC adapter for this function to operate.
Multi-Language Menu: The camcorder allows you to select between English, Simple English, French, Spanish and Portuguese for the unit's menu language.
Lens Cap: The lens cap opens automatically when you turn the power on and closes when you turn the power off.
Easy Handycam: When the Easy Handycam mode is activated, most of the camera settings are set to the automatic mode, only basic functions are available, and the screen font size increases for easy viewing. This mode makes recording and playing back recordings less intimidating, even for first time users.
Auto Shut Off: When powered by the battery the camcorder can be set to turn off automatically if not used for 5 minutes.
Video Recording: The Sony HDR-SR12 has a 120GB hard disk drive which will allow you to record video. You can also choose to record video to an optional Memory Stick Pro Duo card. When recording video, the camcorder records audio in Dolby Digital 5.1 audio using the built-in microphone. The only method to hear this feature is to transfer the video files to your computer and make a DVD of your recordings. When recording, you can choose to record in high definition (HD) or standard definition (SD). You have the following HD and SD choices of video recording resolution quality:
- 120GB Hard Disk Drive:
- HD Recording Mode:
- AVCHD 16M (FH): movies are recorded with AVCHD 1920 x 1080/60i format with highest quality and gives you approximately 14 hours and 40 minutes of recording time
- AVCHD 9M (HQ): movies are recorded with AVCHD 1440 x 1080/60i format with high quality and gives you approximately 29 hours and 40 minutes
- AVCHD 7M (SP): movies are recorded with AVCHD 1440 x 1080/60i format with standard quality and gives you approximately 36 hours
- AVCHD 5M (LP): movies are recorded with AVCHD 1440 x 1080/60i format with long play quality and gives you approximately 48 hours
- SD Recording Mode:
- SD 9M (HQ): records in high quality mode and gives you approximately 29 hours and 40 minutes of video
- SD 6M (SP): records in standard quality mode and gives you approximately 44 hours of video
- SD 3M (LP): records in long play mode and gives you approximately 84 hours and 20 minutes of video
- HD Recording Mode:
- Memory Stick Pro Duo:
HD Image Quality SD Image Quality AVCHD 16M (FH) AVCHD 9M (HQ) AVCHD 7M (SP) AVCHD 5M (LP) SD 9M (HQ) SD 6M (SP) SD 3M (LP) 1GB 6 minutes 10 minutes 15 minutes 20 minutes 10 minutes 20 minutes 35 minutes 2GB 10 minutes 25 minutes 30 minutes 40 minutes 25 minutes 40 minutes 80 minutes 4GB 25 minutes 55 minutes 65 minutes 85 minutes 55 minutes 80 minutes 160 minutes 8GB 55 minutes 115 minutes 140 minutes 180 minutes 115 minutes 170 minutes 325 minutes
Movie Dubbing: You can dub movies recorded on the hard disk of your camcorder to an inserted Memory Stick Pro Duo card within the camcorder without the use of a PC or other external dubbing device.
Auto Remaining: This feature displays the remaining hard disk space indicator for about 8 seconds on the LCD screen in certain operating situations. You can also set the hard disk indicator to always stay on. When the remaining recordable time for movies is less than 5 minutes, the indicator stays on the screen regardless if this function is set to Auto or On.
Wide Select: When recording with SD (standard definition) image quality, you can select the recording aspect ratio according to the TV connected. Select between 4:3 or 16:9. When in HD mode the camcorder is automatically set to 16:9.
Smooth Slow Recording: The camcorder features Smooth Slow Recording which increases the record rate from 60 fields per second (fps) to 240 fps for 3 seconds, allowing you to capture 3 seconds of fast motion video and play the clip back in slow motion for 12 seconds. This is great for analyzing a golf swing or viewing a bird in flight. In addition, record an audio track to narrate what is being seen during the video.
Picture Effects: You can select one of the following Picture Effect modes:
- Sepia: picture appears in sepia
- B&W: picture appears in monochrome (black and white)
- Pastel: picture appears as a pale pastel drawing
D. Effect (Digital Effect): You can select an "Old Movie" effect to add to the video you are currently recording.
Fader Modes: You can select from "Black Fader" or "White Fader." You can add these modes to currently recorded pictures for fading in or out.
Dolby Digital 5.1ch Recording: The HDR-SR12 will record in Dolby Digital 5.1ch surround sound with the built-in microphone. By recording in 5.1 channel surround sound, you can experience your home movies with active sounds coming from all directions. The camcorder's microphone level can be set to Low or Normal.
Built-In Zoom Mic: The Built-in Zoom Mic feature allows you to record sound with directivity as you move the power zoom lever.
Face Index: Face Index makes it easy to find and play back the right video scene. Using Face Detection technology, Face Index indexes your video footage according to the faces detected in each scene. When it's time to play back video, simply search for what you want by selecting from among the detected faces displayed in the index
Film Roll Index: Like chapters in a book, Film Roll Index helps you easily find desired scenes in video footage. When using this feature, the camcorder previews the beginning of scenes and can create scene indexes set at specified display intervals (3, 6, or 12 seconds and 1 or 5 minutes).
Create Playlist: You can create a playlist of your favorite videos for playback. A Playlist is a list showing thumbnails of the movies that you have previously recorded and selected. You can add a maximum of 999 movies with HD image quality or 99 movies with SD image quality to a Playlist. The original movies are not modified even if you edit or delete the movies in the Playlist.
Divide Movies: The Divide Movies feature allows you to divide movies on the hard disk drive of the camcorder. You cannot restore movies once they are divided.
Digital Still Image Recording: The HDR-SR12 can record still images in JPEG format on either the unit's built-in 120GB hard disk drive or on an optional Memory Stick Duo or Memory Stick Pro Duo memory card (sold separately).
Image Resolution: Photo mode captures high quality still images directly to a Memory Stick or the unit's built-in hard disk drive. In Still mode, you can choose one of the following resolutions: 10.2M (3680 x 2760), 6.1M (2848 x 2136), 1.9M (1600 x 1200) or 0.3M (640 x 480) for a 4:3 aspect ratio or 7.6M (3680 x 2070) for a 16:9 aspect ratio. Images are stored in the JPEG format providing easy transfer to PCs for e-mailing, printing, or sharing with family and friends. You can capture the following amount of still images to an inserted Memory Stick Pro Duo card or the camcorder's internal Hard Disk Drive when the HDR-SR12's still image size is set to 10.2M.
|Image Size||Memory Stick Pro Duo and 120GB HDD Capacity|
|1GB||2GB||4GB||8GB||120GB (internal HDD)|
3680 x 2760
Dual Record: You can capture high quality still images onto an optional Memory Stick Duo memory card while recording a video on the hard disk drive of the camcorder or vice-versa. Still images are recorded at 3.0 megapixel resolution in 16:9 mode or 2.2 megapixel resolution in 4:3 mode.
Capturing A Still Image From A Movie: You can save a selected frame from a recorded movie as a still image from the camcorder's Hard Disk Drive to an inserted Memory Stick Pro Duo card within the camcorder or vice-versa. The image size is fixed depending on the image quality of the movie. A still 2.1 megapixel image is captured from a high definition movie, a still 0.2 megapixel image is captured from a 16:9 standard definition recording and a 0.3 megapixel image is capture from a 4:3 standard definition recording.
Copying Still Images: You can coy still images from the camcorder's internal hard disk drive to an inserted Memory Stick Pro Duo card within the camcorder.
Self-Timer Recording: If you want to record yourself, the self-timer recording feature will automatically start recording 10 seconds after being activated. Using the self-timer, you can record still images.
Flash Modes: When using the built-in flash or an optional external compatible Flash, you can choose one of three flash levels: High, Normal, or Low. You can also set the camcorder for one of the following flash modes:
- On: flashes every time
- Auto: flashes automatically when needed
- Off: records without flash
- Redeye Reduction: prevents redeye by activating the flash before recording
GuideFrame: You can display horizontal and vertical grid lines to help square your subject in the frame.
Zebra: In the Zebra mode, diagonal stripes appear in portions of the screen where brightness is at a preset level. This is useful as a guide when adjusting the brightness. You can select from the following Zebra modes.
- Off: the zebra pattern is not displayed
- 70:the zebra pattern appears at a screen brightness level of about 70 IRE
- 100: the zebra pattern appears at a screen brightness level of about 100IRE or higher
Playback Zoom (PB ZOOM):This feature lets you enlarge images during playback. You can magnify images from 1.1x up to 5x the original size with the power zoom lever or the zoom buttons below the LCD screen.
Slide Show: This function allows you to play back all the still images on the hard drive or Memory Stick Pro Duo in sequence.
PictBridge: You can print directly from the camcorder to a PictBridge-compliant printer via the supplied USB cable when the unit is docked in the supplied Handycam Station, even if you don't have a computer. PictBridge is an industry standard established by the Camera & Imaging Products Association (CIPA). Through the camcorder, you can select the number of copies to be printed, up to 20, and choose to print the date and time on each picture.
Battery: This unit comes with an NP-FH60 InfoLithium battery, and the optional NP-FH50, NP-FH70, and NP-FH100 are compatible with this camcorder. The InfoLithium system exchanges data about its actual power consumption with the camcorder for a more accurate estimate of recording time available. Cold temperatures will increase battery consumption.
Battery Display: At the touch of a button, battery information is displayed on the LCD screen when charging and when the camcorder is turned off. The display will show how much the battery is charged, in 10% increments and the recordable time left when using the LCD screen or in the viewfinder
Battery Life: The approximate recording, charging, and playback times using the supplied and optional batteries (in minutes) are:
|Battery Pack||Full charge|
|Battery Pack||Recording Time|
|High Definition Recording||Standard Definition Recording|
|Hard Disk Drive Continuous (Typical)||Memory Stick Pro Duo Continuous (Typical)||Hard Disk Drive Continuous (Typical)||Memory Stick Pro Duo Continuous (Typical)|
|NP-FH60 (supplied)||85 (40)||90 (40)||90 (40)||90 (45)||105 (50)||115 (50)||105 (50)||115 (50)|
|NP-FH70||140 (70)||150 (70)||145 (70)||150 (70)||170 (80)||190 (90)||175 (80)||190 (90)|
|NP-FH100||320 (160)||340 (170)||335 (160)||350 (170)||385 (190)||430 (210)||395 (190)||430 (200)|
|Battery Pack||Playback Time|
|High Definition Playback||Standard Definition Playback|
|Hard Disk Drive||Memory Stick Pro Duo||Hard Disk Drive||Memory Stick Pro Duo|
Dimensions: The RMT-835 remote has the following dimensions: W = 1.633", L = 3.699", D = 0.53".
- Photo:for recording still photos
- Data Code: displays data code (time/date/camera settings of recording)
- Scan/Slow: lets you quickly scan through video in forward or reverse direction
- |<<, >>|: skips to next or previous recorded still photo or video scene
- Play/Stop: begin/end video playback
- Pause: to pause video playback and display still frame
- Visual Index: displays thumbnail images of recorded stills or movies for viewing
- Power Zoom Control: zoom in (tele)/zoom out (wide)
- Up/Down/Left/Right/Enter: cursor controls for menu navigation
- Start/Stop: starts and stops recording video
Connections on Camcorder: The HDR-SR12 is equipped with the following connections.
- USB Port: The camcorder has a mini-USB version 2.0 jack for connecting to a PC via the supplied USB cable. Connecting the hard drive camcorder to a PC via the unit's USB 2.0 high-speed interface allows the computer to access the information on the hard drive. You will be able to download still images and video files to your computer. You will be able perform the One Touch DVD Burn. This will also allow you to back up the files recorded on the hard drive onto a DVD. You can edit and save your video files onto your computer, then make DVD's of them using the Picture Motion Browser software that is supplied with the HDR-SR7. The camcorder can also be used as an external storage device, convenient for archiving, storing and transporting your videos and still images.
- A/V Output: The camcorder features a proprietary Audio/Video connection for use with the supplied composite A/V connecting cable or component AV connecting cable. The composite A/V cable has a proprietary plug on one end and male stereo RCA audio and RCA composite video connections on the other end while the component A/V cable has a proprietary plug on one end and male stereo RCA audio and RCA component video connection on other end. The component video output can be set to 480i or 1080i. You can also use an optional proprietary S-video (item number 158VMC30FS) cable with this jack. You can set the aspect ratio of the camcorder's video output to 16:9 or 4:3 to match your TV. You can choose to display the camcorders information, such as the time code on the screen of your TV during playback from the camcorder.
- mini-HDMI Output: A mini-HDMI output allows you to send high-definition video and digital audio to a compatible TV or audio/video component through a single cable (HDMI cable sold separately). You can set the aspect ratio of the camcorder's video output to 16:9 or 4:3 to match your TV. You can choose to display the camcorders information, such as the time code on the screen of your TV during playback from the camcorder. The camcorder's mini-HDMI output is compatible with Sony Bravia Sync televisions.
- Microphone: In addition to the camcorder's built-in microphone, the HDR-SR12 features a 3.5mm microphone input for connecting an external microphone (sold separately) to the HDD camcorder for recording audio.
- Headphone: In addition to the camcorder's built-in speaker, the HDR-SR12 features a 3.5mm headphone output for connecting an external set of headphones (sold separately) to the HDD camcorder for listening to playback of your videos.
- Active Interface Shoe: There is an Active Interface Shoe on top of the camcorder, which can provide power to various optional accessories such as a video light, flash, or microphone.
- DC In Jack: The DC In Jack is for use with the supplied AC adapter and charger.
- Interface Connector: The Interface Connector docks the camcorder to the supplied Handycam station.
- Memory Card Slot: The camcorder features a memory card slot for recording still images using Memory Stick Duo or Memory Stick Pro Duo memory cards up to 8 GB. Still images can also be recorded on the hard disk.
Handycam Station: Simply placing the camcorder on the supplied Handycam Station cradle provides quick connections to a compatible TV for viewing or a PC for editing and sharing, all while charging the battery so your camcorder is always ready to go. The handycam station provide the following connections.
- USB: The Handycam Station has a mini-USB version 2.0 jack for connecting to a PC via the supplied USB cable. Connecting the hard drive camcorder to a PC via the USB 2.0 high-speed interface on the supplied Handycam Station allows the computer to access the information on the hard drive. You will be able to download still images and video files to your computer. You will be able perform the One Touch DVD Burn. This will also allow you to back up the files recorded on the hard drive onto a DVD. You can edit and save your video files onto your computer, then make DVD's of them using the Picture Motion Browser software that is supplied with the HDR-SR10. The camcorder can also be used as an external storage device, convenient for archiving, storing and transporting your videos and still images.
- A/V Output: This Handycam Station features a proprietary Audio/Video connection for use with the supplied composite A/V connecting cable or component AV connecting cable . The composite A/V cable has a proprietary plug on one end and male stereo RCA audio and RCA composite video connections on the other end while the component A/V cable has a proprietary plug on one end and male stereo RCA audio and RCA component video connection on other end. You can also use an optional proprietary S-video (item number 158VMC30FS) cable with this jack. You can set the aspect ratio of the camcorder's video output to 16:9 or 4:3 to match your TV. You can choose to display the camcorders information, such as the time code on the screen of your TV during playback from the camcorder.
- Connector: The Interface Connector docks the camcorder to the Handycam station.
- DC In Jack: The DC In Jack is for use with the supplied AC adapter and charger.
Included Software: The included software allows you to transfer images and video from the camcorder to a computer hard drive and view and store transferred images/videos. The supplied CD-ROM includes:
- Picture Motion Browser ver. 3.0.00
- Handycam Handbook
- Product Registration
Picture Motion Browser Software: You can enjoy the following functions after installing the supplied Picture Motion Browser Software on your PC.
- Creating a disc with one touch operation
- Importing images to a computer
- Editing imported images
- Creating an AVHCD format disc/DVD-video
- Copying a disc
Note: Picture Motion Browser is for Windows users only and is not compatible with Macintosh computer.
|Picture Motion Browser
2000 Professional SP4
Windows XP SP2
Windows Vista (64-bit editions and Starter editions not supported)
|CPU||Intel Pentium 4 2.8 GHz or faster (Intel Pentium 4 3.6 GHz or faster, Intel Pentium D 2.8 GHz or faster, Intel Core Duo 1.66 GHz or faster, or Intel Core 2 Duo 1.66 GHz or faster is recommended)|
|Memory||512MB or more (1 GB or more is recommended)|
|Hard Disk Space||500 MB
for software installation
10 GB or more for creating a AVHCD DVD
|Display/Graphics||1024 x 768 (minimum)|
|Others||Pre-installed Hi-Speed USB port
DVD writeable disc drive
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.