Why Choose Crutchfield?
Great gear and expert advice
Our experts help you pick the ideal gear for your needs.Meet our advisors
Free tech support for the life of your gear.Read about our one-on-one expert help
You may return items that are complete and like new for any reason within 60 days.See the details of our return policy
Earn one point for every dollar you spend and use those points to save on future purchases.Get full details on Crutchfield Rewards
Deep discounts on car installation gear
We offer vehicle-specific installation instructions, dash kits, wiring harnesses, and speaker accessories at deeply discounted prices with car stereo and speaker purchases. Available for most vehicles.Learn more
Trusted since 1974
Our customers have trusted us with their business, and they’ve helped us win awards for our service.Check out our most recent awards
The manufacturer’s warranty always applies.See more details
Sony Handycam® HDR-TD10
3D-capable HD camcorder with 64GB built-in memory
Item # 158HDRTD10 | MFR # HDRTD10
This item is no longer available.
Our take on the Sony Handycam® HDR-TD10 by Crutchfield's Kristen Schaub
Three-dimensional movie maker
Engage, amaze, and inspire your friends and family members with home videos captured in 3D. Sony's HDR-TD10 has not one, but two video lenses, allowing you to create your own 3D movie masterpieces. Plus, it lets you easily switch between 3D and 2D recording, so you can still send videos to your friends and family who may not have a 3D-compatible HDTV. Not sure which mode to record in? Everything you shoot in 3D can also be played back in 2D, so you can make the call later. And with the 3-1/2" touchpanel LCD, you can review your 3D videos on the spot without the need for special 3D glasses.
Built-in memory, plus more ways to share your footage
The 'TD10 records video and photos to 64GB of built-in memory, which can hold up to 25 hours of 2D video or 5 hours of 3D video. You can also pop in an optional memory card if you need more room on the go. The USB output makes it a breeze to transfer videos from the cam to your computer for editing and storage. Or use the supplied mini HDMI cable to share your 3D video with friends and family on your 3D-ready HDTV's big screen.
Advanced features to help you capture stunning movies
The 'TD10 uses two HD back-illuminated image sensors one for each of the lenses allowing you to capture detailed images with brilliant colors. It even has a 10X optical zoom in 3D mode so you can capture eye-popping close-ups of your subject. Make precise manual adjustments to focus or exposure settings using the control dial on the lens barrel to get exactly the look you want. Plus, this cam has a built-in Dolby® Digital 5.1-channel surround zoom mic to give you spacious sound with your 3D home movies.
Easy automatic settings make filming a breeze
Whether big or small, every moment is easy to capture with this cam's automatic settings. Like the face detection mode, which recognizes the faces of your loved ones and optimizes the settings, so they look clearer with more natural skin tones. The quick auto focus locks onto your subjects fast to provide accurate and consistent focus no matter where they move in the frame. And optical image stabilization compensates for greater degrees of camera shake to deliver stunningly smooth video that you'll enjoy watching again and again.
Storage and Formats:
- records high-definition video to built-in 64GB flash memory
- maximum video resolution: 1920 x 1080
- 4.2-megapixel Exmor R CMOS image sensor (total pixel count 2.65 effective total for video; 3.54 effective for photos 2D only) for improved detail and lower noise
- 12X Sony G optical zoom lens (digital zoom to 160X in 2D mode only)
- dedicated switch lets you easily switch recording mode from 2D to 3D
- Dolby® Digital 5.1-channel audio from built-in zoom microphone
- 3-1/2" widescreen touchpanel LCD lets you watch your 3D movies without the need for 3D glasses
- built-in flash to illuminate dim settings
- optical SteadyShot® image stabilization with Active Mode
- face detection mode with Smile Shutter still image capture for better-looking people shots (2D mode only)
- selectable 24p Cinema Mode for more filmlike video
- Golf Shot captures a few seconds of motion as a sequence of up to 22 still images (2D mode only)
- Intelligent Auto mode for easy filming
- autofocus tracking locks onto a moving subject and keeps the subject in focus
- manual focus, exposure, white balance, iris, and shutter speed via assignable dial
Connections and Dimensions:
- high-speed USB port and cable for video transfer to a computer
- mini HDMI output (cable included) for watching your videos on an HDTV
- remote control
- accessory shoe for attaching an optional accessory, like an external mic or video light
- headphone and microphone inputs
- also includes AC adapter/charger and rechargeable lithium ion battery (NP-FV70)
- 3-7/8"W x 2-15/16"H x 5-7/8"D
- weight: 25.6 oz. with battery
- warranty: 1 year parts, 90 days labor
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
What's in the Box:
- Digital 3D camcorder
- RMT-835 Wireless remote control (with CR2025 Lithium battery installed)
- NP-FV70 Lithium-ion battery (6.8V/2060mAh)
- AC-L200C AC adapter with attached 67" DC output cord (DC Output: 8.4V/1.7A)
- 62" AC power cord
- 57" Composite video cable (with RCA composite video plug and stereo RCA audio plugs on one end and a proprietary plug on the other end)
- 7" USB adapter (with male Mini-B 2.0 connector on oen end and a female Type A USB connector on the other end)
- 39" HDMI cable (with full-sized HDMI connector on one end and a mini-HDMI connector on the other end)
- 5' USB cable (with Mini-B 2.0 connector on one end and a Type A USB on the other end)
- Sony Handycam software on CD-ROM
- Operating Guide (English/Spanish)
- How to Enjoy 3D booklet
- Limited Warranty card
- Online Product Registration card
- Accessories brochure
Features and Specs
|LCD Screen Size (inches)||3.5|
|Total Pixel Count||4,200,000|
|Effective Pixel Count for Video||2,650,000|
|Aspect Ratio||4:3, 16:9|
|Optical Zoom||12 x|
|Digital Zoom||13.3 x|
|Built-in Video Light||No|
|Built-in Memory||64 GB Flash|
|Max Recording Time w/ Included Battery||250 min|
|Digital Still Camera Features|
|Effective Pixel Count for Stills||3,540,000|
|Built-in Photo Flash||Yes|
|Still Image Aspect Ratios||4:3, 16:9|
|Inputs and Outputs|
|USB Port||2.0 High Speed|
|Weight With Battery (ounces)||25.6|
|Parts Warranty||1 Year|
|Labor Warranty||90 Days|
|Image Sensor Warranty||1 Year|
3D Camcorder: The Sony HDR-TD10 Handycam camcorder has dual wide angle lenses to capture Full HD video in 3D for playback on your 3D-capable HDTV. Unlike most 3D camcorders, the HDR-TD10 has two Full HD sensors for capturing true 1920 x 1080 3D video, instead of splitting the signal into two 960 x 540 channels.
Internal 64 GB Flash Memory: The HDR-TD10 has an internal 64 GB flash memory which will allow you to record video and still images. Because a portion of the flash memory is used for system management and/or application files, the actual media capacity is approximately 63.9 GB.
Memory Card Slot: In addition to the built-in 64 GB flash memory, the camcorder has a slot for a memory card. You can record video and photos onto Memory Stick PRO Duo and PRO-HG Duo cards up to 32 GB in capacity, as well as Class 4 or faster SD, SDHC, and SDXC Memory Cards up to 64 GB. Memory cards of 512 MB or larger are recommended for recording video.
3.5" Touch Panel LCD Screen: The 3D-ready 3.5" touch panel Xtra Fine LCD screen lets you view your 3D content without the need for 3D glasses. The TruBlack technology gives it higher contrast and brightness for more natural colors and better visibility in bright conditions. The high resolution 1,229,760-dot (2562 x 480) LCD screen rotates up to 270 degrees for multiple viewing angles providing sharp and detailed images for monitoring or playback. In addition, the touch panel LCD allows you to navigate through the menu system by touching the LCD screen. The LCD also features an adjustable brightness and color level. You can also power on this camcorder by simply opening its LCD display.
Note: This camcorder does not include a separate viewfinder.
Imaging Device: The HDR-TD10 features two 1/4" back-illuminated Exmor R CMOS sensors and dual BIONZ Image processors to give you true 1920 x 1080 3D video. The sensors provide 4,200,000 gross pixels and 1,990,000 effective pixels for 3D video and 2,650,000 effective pixels for 2D video (16:9). For photos, the camcorder has 3,540,000 effective pixels for 4:3 and 2,650,000 effective pixels for 16:9 photos.
Sony G Lens: The camcorder features a professional quality Sony G lens that can capture 3D and 2D images. It has a 35mm equivalent focal length of 34.4-344mm for 3D and 29.8-357.6mm for 2D for 16:9 and 36.5-438mm for 4:3 video.
Zoom: The camcorder has a 10x Optical Zoom for 3D and 12x Optical Zoom (17x extended optical zoom) for 2D. Combined with the digital zoom of approximately 13.3x, the total zoom capability is 160x (2D only). Because the digital zoom processes the image digitally, the picture quality deteriorates the more you zoom in. The power zoom lever can be moved slightly for a slow zoom, or moved further for a faster zoom.
5.1 Channel Microphone: The TD10 has a built-in 5.1-channel surround microphone for vivid and dynamic surround sound. You can switch between 5.1-channel and 2-channel audio in the menu. There is a 3.5mm microphone input for an optional external microphone.
SteadyShot Picture Stabilization: SteadyShot picture stabilization system uses motion sensors to remove unwanted picture shake without compromising picture quality like some other digital stabilization systems. You can choose between Standard SteadyShot, Active SteadyShot, or Off.
Face Detection: The camcorder's Face Detection technology recognizes faces and optimizes the camera settings for videos and still photos. Videos and photos recorded using Face Detection are indexed according to the faces detected in each scene. This allows you to search for what you want by selecting the faces displayed in the index.
Focus Modes: The Sony Handycam HDR-TD10 features Manual, Auto Focus, Spot Focus, and Tele Macro modes:
- Manual Focus: With manual focus, you can manually adjust the focus of the camcorder using the touch panel. Manual focusing also allows you to control the focus in difficult situations where either the environment or the subject does not allow the camcorder's auto focus to perform optimally, such as when shooting through a window or in a crowded environment.
- Auto Focus: You can also select automatic focusing. When using autofocus, you can choose to focus on a subject in the center of the screen or with Spot Focus, focus on an off-centered object.
- Spot Focus: You can select and adjust the focal point to aim it at a subject not located at the center of the screen.
- Tele Macro: This feature is useful when shooting small subjects, such as flowers or insects. You can blur out backgrounds and the subject stands out clearer. You can recorded subjects as close as 9-7/8 inches in Tele-Macro mode.
Spot Meter: You can adjust and fix the exposure to the subject, so that it is recorded in suitable brightness even when there is strong contrast between the subject and the background, such as subjects in the spotlight on a stage.
Exposure Modes: The Sony Handycam HDR-TD10 features the following Exposure Modes:
- Scene Selection Modes: The following Scene Selection modes are available to suit your specific shooting requirements:
- Twilight: maintains the darkening atmosphere of the distant surroundings in twilight scenes
- Twilight Portrait: allows you to take photos of people and background using a flash
- Sunrise/Sunset: maintains the atmosphere of situations such as sunset and sunrises
- Fireworks: select to record all the splendor of fireworks
- Landscape: allows you to shot distant subject clearly
- Portrait: brings out the subject such as people or flowers while creating a soft background
- Spotlight: prevents people's faces from appearing excessively white when subjects are lit by strong light
- Beach: prevents people's faces from appearing dark in strong light or reflected light
- Snow: help with shooting in very bright white conditions
- Intelligent Auto: Select this mode to automatically record pictures effectively using the optimum combination of 3 detection modes: face detection, scene detection, and camera-shake detection.
- Manual Adjust: Similar to exposure compensation, you can manually adjust the brightness when the subject is too bright or too dark.
- Iris Priority: You can adjust the iris automatically or manually to sharpen the subject with its background blurred, or sharpen the whole image.
- Shutter Speed Priority: You can adjust the shutter speed automatically or manually to freeze a moving subject (high shutter speed) or record the subject as if it were flowing (slow shutter speed).
White Balance Adjustment: Sets the color balance to the brightness of the recording environment. Your choices are:
- Auto: The white balance is adjusted automatically.
- Outdoor: The white balance is adjusted for the following conditions: Outdoors, night views, neon signs and fireworks, sunrise, sunsets, under daylight fluorescent lamps.
- Indoor: The white balance is adjusted for the following conditions: Indoors, party scenes and studios where lighting conditions change quickly, and under the video lamps or incandescent-like color lamps.
- One Push: The white balance will be adjusted according to the present ambient light.
Auto Back Light: You can use the Auto Backlight function to adjust the exposure for backlit subjects.
Guideframe: The Guideframe displays a frame and grid around your subject and allows you to check the horizontal and vertical position.
Data Code Function: The camcorder automatically records time codes along with the images you shoot, so you can display the date and time during playback or editing. You can also display the camera setting data, if desired.
Protect: You can protect movies and photos to avoid deleting them by mistake.
Power On By LCD: You can set the camcorder to automatically power on when you open the LCD, and turn off when you close the LCD.
Lens Cap: The built-in lens cap opens automatically when the camcorder is turned on.
Video Recording: The Sony HDR-TD10 has a 16 GB built-in flash memory, and supports Memory Stick PRO Duo and SD/SDHC/SDXC media (sold separately) for recording video. The camcorder can record 3D movies at 1920 x 1080 (28 Mbps), and 2D movies in HD (1980 x 1080 or 1440 x 1080) or SD (720 x 480). The approximate recording time for each recording mode is:
|Image Quality||Memory Card||Built-in Memory|
|4 GB||16 GB||32 GB||64 GB|
|3D: 28 Mbps |
1920 x 1080
|15 min||75 min||150 min||5 hrs 15 min|
|PS: 28 Mbps |
1920 x 1080
|15 min||75 min||150 min||5 hrs 15 min|
|FX: 24 Mbps |
1920 x 1080
|20 min||85 min||180 min||6 hrs 15 min|
|FH: 17 Mbps |
1920 x 1080
|25 min||120 min||245 min||8 hrs 25 min|
|HQ: 9 Mbps |
1440 x 1080
|50 min||210 min||430 min||14 hrs 55 min|
|LP: 5 Mbps |
1440 x 1080
|90 min||370 min||745 min||25 hrs 45 min|
|LP: 5 Mbps |
1440 x 1080
|90 min||380 min||770 min||26 hrs 40 min|
|HQ: 9 Mbps |
720 x 480
|50 min||220 min||445 min||15 hrs 25 min|
|HQ: 9 Mbps |
720 x 480
|55 min||225 min||460 min||15 hrs 55 min|
Movie Dubbing: You can dub movies recorded on the internal flash memory to an inserted memory card within the camcorder without the use of a PC or other external dubbing device.
Fader Modes: You can record a transition between scenes, using a white fader or a black fader.
Built-In Zoom Mic: The built-in Zoom Microphone allows you to record sound with directivity as you move the power zoom lever. The camcorder's microphone level can be set to Low or Normal.
Divide Movies: The Divide Movies feature allows you to divide movies on the internal flash memory of the camcorder or on an inserted memory card. You cannot restore movies once they are divided.
Highlight Playback: The camcorder selects scenes at random, puts them together, and plays them back as a digest of your HD movies and photos with music and visual effects. If you like the Highlight Playback, you can save it as a scenario and play it back or record it to a DVD.
Digital Still Image Recording: The HDR-TD10 can record still images on either the unit's built-in 64 GB flash memory or on an optional memory card (sold separately). Still images are recorded on the internal flash memory in the default setting.
Image Resolution: Still images are recorded in the following resolutions: 3072 x 2304 (4:3), 3072 x 1728 (16:9), 1600 x 1200 (4:3) or 640 x 480 (4:3).
Dual Recording: You can record still photos while shooting videos at the same time. The resolutions include 2072 x 1728 (16:9) and 2304 x 1728 (4:3).
Capturing Still Images From Video: You can capture still images from recorded video onto the internal flash memory or an optional memory card. The image size is fixed depending upon the aspect ratio of the movie: 1920 x 1080, 640 x 360, or 640 x 480. The recording date and time of the captured photos is the same as the recording date and time of the movie. If there is no data code on the movie, the recording date and time will be the date/time you captured the photo from the video.
Copying Still Images: You can copy still images from the camcorder's internal flash memory to an inserted memory card within the camcorder.
Self Timer: This feature allows you to record a still image about 10 seconds after the "Photo" button is depressed.
Slide Show: You can automatically play back images stored on the HDR-TD10's internal flash memory or from a memory card in a slide-show fashion.
Battery: This unit comes with an NP-FV70 InfoLithium battery (6.8V, 1960 mAh (min) 2060 mAh (typical)). The InfoLithium system exchanges data about its actual power consumption with the camcorder for a more accurate estimate of recording time available. Cold temperatures will increase battery consumption. The HDR-TD10 is compatible with Sony InfoLithium V-series batteries:
|Battery||Video Type||Recording Time||Playback Time||Charging Time|
|3D||75 min||35 min||125 min||155 min|
|2D||110 min HD |
120 min SD
|55 min HD |
60 min SD
|150 min HD |
165 min SD
|3D||160 min||80 min||260 min||195 min|
|2D||235 min HD |
250 min SD
|115 min HD |
125 min SD
|315 min HD |
345 min SD
|3D||320 min||160 min||515 min||390 min|
|2D||470 min HD |
500 min SD
|235 min HD |
250 min SD
|625 min HD |
680 min SD
Auto Shut Off: When powered by the battery the camcorder can be set to turn off automatically if not used for 5 minutes.
HDMI Output: The HDR-TD10 has a mini-HDMI output for connecting the camcorder to an HDTV for playing back 3D or 2D HD and SD movies. The HDMI output resolution can be set to Auto, 1080p/480p, 1080i/480i, 720p/480p, 480p, and 480i. If you're connecting the camcorder to a Sony Bravia-sync compatible TV, you can control the playback functions using the TV's remote.
HDMI 3D Setting: You can select the output format of the right and left images when the camcorder is connected to a 3D TV via HDMI:
- Auto: Normal setting; outputs the images according to the TV
- Frame Packing: Outputs the right and left images in full high definition image quality as they were recorded
- Side-by-Side: Halves the resolution of the right and left images in full HD image quality, and outputs the right and left images aligned side-by-side
A/V Output: This camcorder features a proprietary Audio/Video connection (labeled A/V R) that can be used with the supplied A/V composite cable, or optional A/V cables with S-video or Component Video. When the Component A/V Cable is used, you can connect the camcorder to an HDTV or a non-HD TV.
Active Interface Shoe: The Active Interface Shoe supplies power to accessories such as a video light, a flash, or a microphone. The accessory can be turned on or off as you open and close the LCD screen of the camcorder.
Microphone/Headphone Jacks: The camcorder has 3.5mm jacks for an external microphone (with plug-in power) and headphones.
USB Port: The camcorder has a mini-USB Ver.2.0 jack for connecting to a PC via the supplied USB cable. Connecting the to a PC via USB allows the computer to access the information on the camcorder's internal hard disk drive. You will be able to download still images and video files to your computer.
Memory Card Slot: The camcorder features a memory card slot for recording video or still images using Memory Stick Pro Duo or SD/SDHC/SDXC memory cards.
DC In Jack: The DC In Jack is for use with the supplied AC adapter and charger.
Included Software: The included software allows you to transfer images and video from the camcorder to a computer hard drive and view and store transferred images/videos. The supplied CD-ROM includes:
- Picture Motion Browser Ver.5.6
- Handycam Handbook
- Product Registration
Picture Motion Browser Software: You can enjoy the following functions after installing the supplied Picture Motion Browser Software to your PC:
- Creating a disc
- Importing images to a computer.
- Viewing and editing imported images
- Uploading movies and photos to websites
Computer Requirements for Picture Motion Browser (Windows Only):
Windows XP SP3
(64-bit editions and
Starter editions are not supported) |
Windows Vista SP2
(Starter editions are not supported)
Intel Core Duo 1.66 GHz or faster, or |
Intel Core 2 Duo 1.66 GHz or faster
(Intel Core 2 Duo 2.26 GHz or faster is required when processing FX/FH or 3D movies, and Intel Core 2 Duo 2.40 GHz or faster is required when processing PS movies)
Intel Pentium III 1 GHz or faster is sufficient for other operations
Windows 7 or Windows Vista: 1 GB or more |
Windows XP: 512 MB or more (1 GB or more recommended)
(256 MB or more is sufficient for processing only standard definition movies.)
Disk volume required for installation: 500 MB |
(10 GB or more may be necessary for creating AVCHD recording discs, and 50 GB maximum may be necessary when creating Blu-ray discs.)
|Display/Graphics||1024 x 768 or higher|
USB 2.0 Hi-Speed port |
CD-ROM drive (for installation)
Either NTFS or exFAT file system is recommended as the hard disk file system.
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.