Why Choose Crutchfield?
Great gear and expert advice
Our experts help you pick the ideal gear for your needs.Meet our advisors
Free tech support for the life of your gear.Read about our one-on-one expert help
You may return items that are complete and like new for any reason within 60 days.See the details of our return policy
Earn one point for every dollar you spend and use those points to save on future purchases.Get full details on Crutchfield Rewards
Deep discounts on car installation gear
We offer vehicle-specific installation instructions, dash kits, wiring harnesses, and speaker accessories at deeply discounted prices with car stereo and speaker purchases. Available for most vehicles.Learn more
Trusted since 1974
Our customers have trusted us with their business, and they’ve helped us win awards for our service.Check out our most recent awards
The manufacturer’s warranty always applies.See more details
6.1-channel component home theater system with 400-disc DVD/CD/SACD changer
Item # 158HT9900M | MFR # HT-9900M
This item is no longer available.
Our take on the Sony HT-9900M by Crutchfield's Amanda P.
Bring home non-stop entertainment with Sony's HT-9900M. This system includes a 400-disc DVD changer, a receiver, six surround sound speakers, and a powered subwoofer. It gives you easy access to your entire collection of movies and music, and delivers exciting wraparound audio for truly captivating home theater.
The '9900M gives you a complete set of speakers for full 360° audio. Powered by a total of 1,000 watts, they provide full, clean sound. You'll hear the difference with every DVD all your favorite films will have added depth and dimension.
One of this system's most unique features is its high-capacity DVD changer. You'll love the ability to store and organize all your CDs and DVDs. Custom-label your discs using a separate PC keyboard (not included). Then, you can find them by name, genre, or type of disc (DVD, CD, etc.). Forget shuffling through stacks of DVD and CD cases this changer makes finding the disc you want pushbutton simple.
This changer can even play stereo and multichannel SACDs (Super Audio CDs). SACD is a high-resolution music format that offers enhanced sonic purity and clarity. With engaging 6.1 surround sound and plenty of movie and music options, the '9900M is a home entertainment powerhouse.
- 400-disc capacity
- plays DVD-Video, DVD-R & DVD-RW, DVD+R & DVD+RW, and Video CD
- plays SACD, CD, CD-R & CD-RW, and MP3 CD-R & CD-RW
- selectable progressive-scan playback for smoother video with HD-compatible TVs (via the component video output)
- optical and coaxial digital outputs for Dolby® Digital/DTS®/PCM
- 2 sets of A/V outputs (2 composite, 2 S-video, and 1 480i/480p component video)
- 5.1-channel analog audio output
- front-panel input for PC keyboard (for faster disc title entry)
- Precision Cinema Progressive de-interlacer with 3-2 pulldown processing
- SmoothScan and SmoothSlow picture search
- Child Lock (prevents opening disc bay door)
- 108MHz/12-bit video D/A converter
- 96kHz/24-bit audio D/A converter
- audio signal-to-noise ratio 115 dB
- 16-7/8"W x 7-1/2"H x 21-1/16"D
- warranty: 1 year
- designed for use with "Region 1" coded DVDs
- Dolby® Digital EX, Dolby Pro Logic® IIx, DTS-ES® & DTS Neo:6 processing
- 6-channel amplifier (140 watts x 6)
- 5.1-channel analog audio input for SACD
- digital audio inputs: 2 optical and 1 coaxial
- component video switching (2 in, 1 out)
- 2 audio and 4 audio/video inputs (including 1 front-panel)
- 30 AM/FM presets
- 16-7/8"W x 6-3/16"H x 13"D
- warranty: 2 years
- 1" tweeter and 3-1/8" midrange driver
- 5-1/8"W x 8-11/16"H x 5-3/8"D
- warranty: 2 years
- dual 2-1/4" drivers
- 9-11/16"W x 4-5/16"H x 3-3/8"D
- warranty: 2 years
- 3-1/8" driver
- 4-9/16"W x 6-5/8"H x 5-3/8"D
- warranty: 2 years
- 9-13/16" driver
- bass-reflex enclosure
- built-in 160-watt amplifier
- 13-1/4"W x 16-1/8"H x 14-1/4"D
- warranty: 2 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- speaker, subwoofer, and coaxial digital cables included
- remote control (multibrand for video)
What's in the Box:
- One large box containing the DVP-CX985V box and the following items:
- STR-K9900P AM/FM Dolby Digital/DTS Receiver
- Wireless remote control (RM-AAP001)
- 2 "AA" batteries
- Two front speakers (SS-MSP69L and SS-MSP69R)
- One center speaker (SS-CNP69)
- Two surround speakers (SS-MSP69SL and SS-MSP69SR)
- One surround back speaker (SS-MSP69SB)
- SA-WMSP69 Powered Subwoofer
- FM wire antenna (with slip-on "F" connector)
- AM loop antenna
- 79-1/2" Mono powered subwoofer cable
- 42" Coaxial digital cable (with single RCA plugs on each end)
- Three 11-1/2' lengths of 22-gauge speaker wire
- Three 33' lengths of 22-gauge speaker wire
- Pad of 24 self-adhesive rubber feet
- Pad of 4 large self-adhesive rubber feet
- Operating Instructions
- Warranty sheet
- Speaker Connection sheet
- Product Registration
- Important Safeguards
- Caution sheet (regarding connecting speakers correctly)
- The DVP-CX985V box contains:
- 400-disc DVD/Audio CD changer
- RM-DX500 Wireless remote control
- 2 "AA" batteries
- 57" Audio/video cable (has left and right RCA audio connectors and an RCA composite video connector on each end)
- Operating Instructions
- Important Safeguards
- Warranty sheet
- "Music discs encoded with copyright protection technologies" sheet
Product Overview: The Sony HT-9900M consists of a 6.1-channel A/V receiver (STR-K9900P), a 7-piece speaker system, and the DVP-CX985V 400-disc DVD/SACD changer.
Digital Cinema Sound: Digital Cinema Sound (DCS) is a collaboration between Sony Electronics and Sony Pictures in which the actual measurements of the sound acoustics in certain studios are taken. This information is programmed into this receiver so as to simulate the actual theater in your home environment. The three DCS fields that you can choose from are:
- Cinema Studio Ex. A: reproduces the sound characteristics of Sony's "Cary Grant Theater" cinema production studio
- Cinema Studio Ex. B: reproduces the sound characteristics of Sony's "Kim Novak Theater" cinema production studio
- Cinema Studio Ex. C: reproduces the sound characteristics of Sony's scoring stage
Surround Modes: This receiver incorporates a wide variety of surround modes to bring you maximum enjoyment from your video software and music sources. The surround modes include:
- Dolby Digital
- Dolby Digital EX
- Dolby Pro Logic II
- Dolby Pro Logic
- Pro Logic II Movie
- Pro Logic II Music
- Pro Logic II Game
- Dolby Pro Logic IIx
- Pro Logic IIx Movie
- Pro Logic IIx Music
- Pro Logic IIx Game
- DTS-ES Matrix
- DTS-ES Discrete 6.1
- DTS Neo:6 Cinema
- DTS Neo:6 Music
- Cinema Studio Ex. A
- Cinema Studio Ex. B
- Cinema Studio Ex. C
- Jazz Club
- Live Concert
Headphone Sound Fields: When headphones are connected, you can select the following sound fields:
- HP 2CH: outputs the sound in stereo. Standard 2-channel sources completely bypass the sound field processing. Multi-channel surround formats are downmixed to 2 channels.
- HP Multi: outputs the analog signals input to the Multi Channel Input jacks
- HP Theater (Digital Cinema Sound): allows you to experience a theater-like environment
Auto Format Decoding: This feature automatically detects the type of audio signal being input (Dolby Digital, DTS, Dolby Pro Logic II, 2 channel stereo) and performs the proper decoding without adding any effects.
Surround Back Decoding: You can select the decoding mode for the surround back signals of the multi-channel input stream. If you set the decoding to "SB Auto" the appropriate decoder is applied to decode the surround back signal. When you select "SB On", Dolby Digital EX is applied to decode the surround back signal regardless of the 6.1-channel decode flag in the input stream. Surround back decoding can be turned off if desired.
Dynamic Range Compression: When playing a Dolby Digital encoded DVD, you can turn the Dynamic Range Compression on for late night viewing. The Dynamic Range Compression can be set to Standard, Maximum, or Off.
Time Alignment: The A.V. Sync function allows you to apply 68 ms of delay to minimize the gap between the audio output and visual display. A.V. Sync is not available on all surround modes.
Station and Source Naming: Each preset station and program source may be given an index name of up to 8 characters.
Sleep Timer: The unit may be set to automatically turn off after 2 hours, 1 hour and 30 minutes, 1 hour, or 30 minutes.
Dimmer: The brightness of the display can be set to one of three levels.
Remote Control: The supplied remote (RM-AAP001) can operate the receiver, Sony video CD players, tuners, hard disc recorders, Blu-ray disc recorders, and PSXs (Play Station Extreme), plus multiple brands of CD players, DAT decks, MD decks, tape decks, LD players, video CD players, VCRs, DVD players, TVs, satellite tuners, and cable boxes. Note: The DVD/SACD changer has a separate remote control.
Speaker Outputs: There are binding post connectors for the Front A left and right, Center, Surround left and right, and Surround Back speaker outputs. The binding posts are not 5-way because a plastic collar prevents their use with spade lugs. The Front B left and right outputs use spring clips.
Assignable Component Video Inputs: The receiver's two component video inputs are assignable. The input labeled "Video 2" can be assigned to Video 1, Video 2 or Video 3. The input labeled "DVD" can be assigned to Video 1, Video 3 or DVD. In addition, the Component Video inputs are HD compatible, capable of passing through video signals up to 80 MHz in bandwidth.
Direct Stream Digital (DSD) Encoding: Unlike PCM based technology (CD/MiniDisc/DVD/Audio DVD, etc.), Super Audio CD is based on DSD encoding, which does not require decimation and interpolation filters. DSD is much simpler and enables a 1-bit signal to be recorded directly. DSD encodes music at 2,822,400 samples per second (64 times that of standard CD) allowing you to hear sound with incredible detail and clarity. DSD combines the advantages of digital recording with the best characteristics of analog sound.
2-Channel and Multi-Channel SACD Playback: In addition to standard 2-channel CD playback, this unit will play 2-channel and multi-channel Super Audio CDs. During SACD playback, the digital outputs do not operate; the analog outputs must be connected to listen to SACDs. There are two sets of stereo RCA outputs for standard 2-channel playback, and there is a set of 5.1-channel RCA for multi-channel playback. For multi-channel playback, the 5.1 channel outputs must be connected to a multi-channel input on a receiver or preamp. Multi-channel SACDs may have 3, 4, 5 or 6 channels of audio.
Precision Drive 2 System: Providing an improved mechanism for reading DVD discs that are in less than perfect condition, Precision Drive 2 improves over last year's Precision Drive to further eliminate errors in playback due to imperfect, scratched or warped DVD discs.
108MHz/12-bit Video D/A Converter: The high-speed 108MHz/12-bit video D/A converter employs 4X oversampling for much more effective noise filtering. The result is smoother gradation and a more realistic picture.
96kHz/24-bit Audio D/A Converter: This player features a 96kHz/24-bit audio digital-to-analog converter.
Digital Audio Output Capabilities: You can select a sampling frequency output setting of 48 kHz/16-bit or 96 kHz/24-bit. When set to 48 kHz/16-bit, the audio signals are always converted to 48 kHz/16-bit. When set to 96 kHz/24-bit, all types of signals, including 96 kHz/24-bit, are output in their original format. However, if the signal is encrypted for copyright protection purposes, the signal is only output as 48 kHz/16-bit.
Audio Filter: You can select a digital filter to reduce noise above 22.05 kHz (for sources with a sampling frequency of 44.1 kHz), 24 kHz (for sources with a sampling frequency of 48 kHz), or 48 kHz (for sources with a sampling frequency above 96 kHz). The Audio Filter can be set to Sharp or Slow. Sharp provides a wide frequency range and spatial feeling. Slow provides smooth and warm sound.
Digital Bass Management: This unit has built-in bass management that allows you to adjust the speaker size, delay time, and channel balance when using the 5.1-channel output.
Progressive Scan Output: Progressive-scan video has less flicker and fewer motion artifacts than the traditional interlaced-scanning method, resulting in a superior picture. To take advantage of this feature, you must have a television with component video inputs that supports the progressive scanning mode. This unit allows you to choose Interlace mode or Progressive mode.
Disc Explorer: This unit reads the disc information of all the discs and loads the information into memory so that disc type, titles, and other text information can be displayed on the TV screen. Disc Explorer offers the following modes to help you search and manage your discs:
- File Mode: The player has 7
folders (All, DVD, CD, and A to D) and can display the contents of each
folder. All the discs in the player are filed in the All folder. At the same
time, DVDs are automatically filed in the DVD folder, and SACDs, audio CDs,
Video CDs, and MP3 CDs are filed in the CD folder. You can file up to 400
discs in one folder, and the same disc can be filed in different folders.
- Note: You can set Program Play, Shuffle Play, and Repeat Play for discs within a single folder.
- Edit Mode: You can label discs with a 16-character title (Disc Memo) and folders with a 3-character title. In addition, you can assign a genre label to each disc.
- Sort Mode: You can sort discs in a folder by disc slot number, text information (DVD/SACD/CD Text or Disc Memo), or genre.
MP3 Playback: This unit will play MP3 files recorded onto CD-ROM, CD-R and CD-RW discs using the ISO 9660 level 1/level 2, or Joliet formats. Each disc can have a maximum of 499 albums and the unit will play no more than a combined total of 999 albums and tracks.
Digital Video Enhancer: The Digital Video Enhancer makes the picture appear clear and crisp by enhancing the outlines of images on your TV screen. You can select one of three levels; each level enhances the outline more than the previous level. In addition, you can select "Soft", which softens the image, or the Digital Video Enhancer can be turned off.
Block Noise Reduction (BNR): The BNR function adjusts the picture quality by reducing the "block noise" or mosaic-like patterns that appear on your TV screen.
Custom Picture Mode: You can choose from the following Custom Picture Mode settings:
- Standard: displays a standard picture
- Dynamic 1: produces a bold dynamic picture by increasing the picture contrast and the color intensity
- Dynamic 2: produces a more dynamic picture than Dynamic 1 by further increasing the picture contrast and the color intensity
- Cinema 1: enhances details in dark areas by increasing the black level
- Cinema 2: white colors become brighter and black colors become richer, and the color contrast is increased
- Memory: allows you to individually adjust and store the following settings: picture, brightness, color, and hue
TV Virtual Surround (TVS): TV Virtual Surround generates a convincing surround sound effect using only 2 stereo speakers, with a stereo receiver or directly out of the television speakers. You can turn this feature Off or you can select one of the following settings:
- TVS Dynamic: uses sound imaging to create a single set of virtual rear speakers. This mode is effective when using speakers that are close together, such as on a television.
- TVS Wide: uses sound imaging to create multiple virtual rear speakers. This mode is effective when using speakers that are close together, such as on a television.
- TVS Night: large sounds, such as explosions, are suppressed, but the quieter sounds are unaffected
- TVS Standard: uses sound imaging to create multiple virtual rear speakers. This mode is effective when using separate front speakers that are far apart.
Digital Cinema Sound: Dolby Cinema Sound generates a convincing surround sound effect using a 4 to 6 speaker system. You can select one of the following settings:
- Normal Surround: standard surround mode
- Enhanced Surround: when playing a source with a monaural rear channel signal, this setting produces a stereo-like effect in the rear channels
- Virtual Rear Shift: this setting shifts the sound of the rear speakers away from their actual position. If the speakers are located in the rear, this setting shifts them to the side. If the speakers are located on the side, this setting shifts them to the rear.
- Virtual Multi Rear: creates an array of virtual rear speakers from a single pair of actual speakers
- Virtual Multi Dimension: creates 5 sets of virtual speakers at about a 30-degree angle of elevation
Picture Navigation: You can divide the screen into 9 subscreens and find the desired scene quickly.
Title/Chapter and Track Viewer: This feature allows you to view pictures of the disc's titles, chapters or tracks on a single screen divided into 9 sections and start playback from the chosen title, chapter or track.
Resume Play: The player stores the point where you stopped the disc and resumes playback from the stored location the next time you play the same disc. The resume playback point is cleared for a disc when you change the play mode, open the front cover, change the slot, or disconnect the power cord.
Instant Replay: The Instant Replay function is useful when you want to review a scene or dialogue that you missed. With a single press of the Instant Replay button, the player will go back 10 seconds and begin playing again.
Parental Control: This unit allows you to set two kinds of playback restrictions for DVDs using Parental Control and Custom Parental Control. Parental Control allows you to restrict playback according to a predetermined level. You can select a parental control rating from 0-8, which is protected by a 4-digit password. Using the same registered password, Custom Parental Control allows you to set playback restrictions for a specific disc. You can set the same Custom Parental Control password for up to 400 discs.
Display Dimmer: You can set the display to Bright, Dark, Auto Dark, or Auto Off. When set to Auto Dark, if you do not operate the player or remote for a short while, the front panel display becomes dark. When set to Auto Off, if you do not operate the player or remote for a short while, the front panel display turns off.
Child Lock: You can lock the disc tray to prevent a child from opening it.
- Screen Saver: The screen saver image appears when you leave the player in pause or stop mode for 15 minutes, or when you play back a Super Audio CD, CD or MP3 CD for more than 15 minutes. The screen saver can be turned On or Off.
- Background: You can select the background color in stop mode, or while playing a CD or an MP3. You can choose Jacket Picture (shows the DVD jacket picture if supported by the DVD), Graphics (shows a preset graphic), Blue (background color is blue), or Black (background color is black).
- Auto Power Off: When this feature is turned on, the player enters standby mode after being left in stop mode for more than 30 minutes.
- Auto Play: This functions is useful when the player is connected to a timer (not included). When Auto Play is turned on, playback automatically starts when the unit is turned on.
- Playback Memory: This function allows you to store settings for up to 400 discs. The following settings are stored in memory by the Playback Memory function: Angle, Audio, BNR, Picture Mode, Digital Video Enhancer, and Subtitle.
- Pause Mode: You can select from Auto (no jitter) or Frame (high resolution) for the type of picture output in pause mode.
- Track Selection (DVD only): You can select Auto or Off. When Auto is selected, priority is given to the digital audio track with the largest number of channels.
Multibrand Remote: The supplied remote is pre-programmed to operate this unit and a number of functions on certain brands of televisions and receivers.
Keyboard Input: The front panel keyboard input lets you use an optional IBM PS/2-type keyboard to label discs and folders.
6.1-channel Speaker System: The HT-9900M's 7-piece speaker system consists of two front speakers (SS-MSP69L/SS-MSP69R), a center speaker (SS-CNP69), two surround speakers (SS-MSP69SL/SS-MSP69SR), a surround back speaker (SS-MSP69SB), and a powered subwoofer (SA-WMSP69). The system includes three 11-1/2' lengths of speaker wire for the front speakers and three 33' lengths of speaker wire for the rear speakers. A 79-1/2" mono RCA cable is supplied for the subwoofer.
Drivers: The front speakers are equipped with a 3-1/8" paper cone woofer and a 1" balanced dome tweeter. The center speaker has two 2-1/4" full-range drivers. The surround and surround back speakers each feature a single 3-1/8" full-range paper cone driver. The subwoofer has a front-firing 9-13/16" cone woofer. All speakers, including the subwoofer, are equipped with front firing ports.
Wall-Mounting Provisions: All of the speakers except the center speaker are equipped with a single M5 threaded insert to accommodate wall-mounting brackets. In addition, the three rear speakers each have a single metal keyhole bracket to allow you to wall-mount the speakers using a screw fastened to a wall stud.
Powered Subwoofer: The SA-WMSP69 powered subwoofer has a 160-watt amplifier and a rear-mounted rotary volume control. The phase polarity for the subwoofer can be adjusted from the receiver.
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.