Why Choose Crutchfield?
Great gear and expert advice
Our experts help you pick the ideal gear for your needs.Meet our advisors
Free tech support for the life of your gear.Read about our one-on-one expert help
You may return items that are complete and like new for any reason within 60 days.See the details of our return policy
Earn one point for every dollar you spend and use those points to save on future purchases.Get full details on Crutchfield Rewards
Deep discounts on car installation gear
We offer vehicle-specific installation instructions, dash kits, wiring harnesses, and speaker accessories at deeply discounted prices with car stereo and speaker purchases. Available for most vehicles.Learn more
Trusted since 1974
Our customers have trusted us with their business, and they’ve helped us win awards for our service.Check out our most recent awards
The manufacturer’s warranty always applies.See more details
Powered home theater sound bar with separate subwoofer
Item # 158HTCT150 | MFR # HTCT150
This item is no longer available.
Our take on the Sony HT-CT150 by Crutchfield's Marshall Chase
Sound is half of the home theater experience, and Sony's HT-CT150 helps you break free from your TV's tinny built-in speakers. This simple, room-friendly system uses advanced signal processing and internal amplification to deliver dynamic sound and rich bass with your movies, music, and games. Three 3D-ready HDMI inputs let you hook up your compatible audio/video sources and switch easily among them, while maintaining the best possible picture and sound quality. You won't need a receiver just connect your Blu-ray player, gaming console, or other digital video components directly to the HT-CT150.
Purchased at scratch and dent sale so it was a good value. Decent but not extraordinary sound quality.
Ken, Los Angeles
What's in the Box:
- Soundbar speaker (SS-CT150)
- Powered subwoofer module (SA-WCT150)
- IR remote control (RM-AAU072)
- 2 "AA" batteries
- 8' Digital optical cable
- 10' Speaker cable (terminated by 3 proprietary connectors on each end)
- Operating Instructions (Eng/Fre/Spa)
- Limited Warranty sheet (US)
- Consumer 1 Year Warranty sheet (Canada)
- Online Product Registration sheet
- video-shielding prevents interference with tube TVs and computer monitors
- 200 watts system power (50 watts x 3 for the sound bar, plus 50 watts for the subwoofer)
- 3 full-range speakers (2" x 3-5/8")
- three HDMI inputs, one HDMI output compatible with signals up to 1080p (60Hz, 24Hz)
- HDMI version 1.4 with support for 3D video, Audio Return Channel, Deep Color, x.v.Color, auto lip-sync, and HDMI-CEC
- Audio Return Channel function receives digital audio signals from a compatible HDTV's tuner via HDMI
- three digital audio inputs (two optical and one coaxial)
- two analog audio inputs
- compatible with BRAVIA® Sync via HDMI interface for easy operation of select BRAVIA TVs and other Sony A/V products (HDMI-CEC)
- Digital Media Port for use with optional Sony accessories
- remote control
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- S-Master® amplifier and digital signal processing deliver convincing wraparound sound
- built-in Dolby® Digital, DTS®, and Pro Logic® surround sound decoding
- 6 selectable soundfields: Cinema, Game, Sports, Music, Personal Audio, and Standard
- keyhole slots for wall-mounting
- weight: 3 lbs.
- 31-1/2"W x 2-5/8"H x 2-3/8"D
- bass-reflex (ported) design
- 5-1/8" woofer
- 7-3/4"W x 17 3/4"H x 16 1/4"D
Sony HT-CT150 Reviews
Average Customer Review(s):
Thanks for submitting your review
Features and Specs
|Pieces in System||2|
|Midrange||2" x 3.625" Cone (3)|
|Subwoofer Driver||5.125" Cone|
|Surround Sound Decoding||No|
|4K Video Compatible||No|
|HDR Video Compatible||---|
|Audio Return Channel||---|
|Remote IR Passthrough||No|
|Works with TV Remote (IR)||---|
|Control by App||---|
|Mounting Bracket Included||No|
|Surface Mount Stand Included||No|
|Speaker Parts Warranty||1 Year|
|Speaker Labor Warranty||1 Year|
|Amplifier Parts Warranty||1 Year|
|Amplifier Labor Warranty||1 Year|
|System Frequency Response||180-20k Hz|
|Sound Bar RMS Power||50 x 3|
|Subwoofer RMS Power||50 x 1|
|Inputs and Outputs|
|Mini Stereo Audio Inputs||None|
|RCA Stereo Audio Inputs||2|
|Optical Digital Audio Inputs||2|
|Coaxial Digital Audio Inputs||1|
|Sound Bar (inches)||2-5/8H x31-1/2W x 2-7/16D|
|Sound Bar Weight||2.875 lbs|
|Subwoofer (inches)||17-3/4H x 7-7/8W x 16-1/16D|
|Subwoofer Weight||23.1875 lbs|
Overview: The Sony HT-CT150 Home Theater System is a two-piece surround sound system which includes a soundbar speaker (SS-MCT150) and a powered subwoofer module (SA-WCT150). This two-piece home theater system brings simplicity and performance together by pairing a soundbar speaker and a powered subwoofer to create a surround sound experience in a compact and easy to install package. The HT-CT150 Home Theater System features Dolby Digital & DTS decoding, as well as 3D pass-through. The HT-CT150 includes an IR remote control for wireless operation of the system.
Soundbar Speaker: The HT-CT150 Home Theater System's soundbar speaker (SS-MCT150) is equipped with three full-range 2" x 3-5/8" cone type drivers in a bass reflex enclosure. The soundbar speaker can be securely placed on a stand or shelf using eight integrated rubber-feet or mounted to the wall with its two rear-mounted keyhole slots and mounting screws (screws sold separately). The SS-MCT150 act as your home theater systems front and center speakers as well as giving you the effect that you have rear speakers positioned behind you.
Note: The soundbar speaker's keyhole slots are spaced 10-3/16" apart.
Powered Subwoofer Module: The HT-CT150 Home Theater System's powered subwoofer module (SA-WCT150) is equipped with a 5-1/8" cone type subwoofer in a bass-reflex enclosure powered by a built-in digital Sony S-Master amplifier. The built-in digital amplifier also provides power to the system's soundbar speaker. The digital amplifier is rated at 50 watts per channel for the soundbar speaker unit and powered subwoofer. The powered subwoofer module also features the HT-CT150 system's audio/video inputs and outputs, as well as basic controls and an LCD display.
System Cable: The Sony HT-CT150 includes a 10' proprietary speaker cable which plugs into the rear-panel of the soundbar speaker and the rear-panel of the powered subwoofer module.
S-Force Surround: By using a powerful digital Sony S-Master amplifier and DSP (Digital Signal Processing) technology, realistic surround sound can be generated from this two-piece surround sound system. Unlike other "virtual surround" technologies, rear sound is generated from the soundbar speaker using sophisticated digital sound processing and does not need to be bounced off of side walls. No matter what the size or shape of the room or what is on the wall, it is possible to hear sounds from behind you without needing to place speakers behind you.
Digital Surround Formats: The HT-CT150 supports the following digital audio formats.
- Dolby Pro Logic II: Creates five full-bandwidth output channels from 2 channel sources.
- Dolby Digital: All six channels in this format are recorded separately for superior channel separation.
- DTS: Provides 5.1 discrete channels of high quality digital audio.
- Linear PCM: Linear PCM is a method of encoding audio information digitally which can have up to 8 channels of uncompressed audio. This wider bandwidth allows for high resolution audio which is closer to the original. This system can accommodate 2ch LPCM through its digital audio or HDMI inputs, as well as 5.1ch and 7.1ch LPCM through its HDMI inputs.
Note: This system does not support Dolby Digital Plus, Dolby True HD, DTS-HD or Linear PCM sampling frequencies of no more than 48 kHz.
Sound Fields: You can select from one of the following sound fields to optimize your surround sound experience.
- Standard: Suits various sources.
- Movie: Recreates powerful and realistic sound, along with clear dialogue.
- Drama: Suited for TV dramas.
- Music: Suited for music programs or music videos on Blu-ray Discs/DVDs.
- Sports: Produces the play-by-play commentary clearly and realistic sound with surround effects, such as cheering.
- News: Produces the announcer's voice clearly.
- Game: Produces powerful and realistic sound, suited for video games.
- 2CH Stereo: Suited for music CDs.
- Portable Audio: Suited to replay portable compressed audio source (available only on DM Port).
Note: You can set a different sound field for each input source.
Speaker Level: You can adjust the level (+/-6dB) and balance of the soundbar speaker and the powered subwoofer. This setting will be applied to all sound fields.
Bass & Treble: You can adjust the bass and treble independently from -6 to +6 dB.
A/V Sync: You can delay the sound using this function when the image is slower than the sound when you are playing a Dolby, Digital, DTS or Linear PCM source connected by a digital audio input or HDMI.
Audio DRC: This feature narrows the dynamic range of a Dolby Digital/DTS sound track for enjoying movies at low volume.
Night Mode: You can enjoy sound effects and hear the dialogue clearly even at a low volume levels using this function.
Max Volume Limiter: You can limit the maximum volume level of the system from 1 to 49 in 1-step increments.
Digital & Analog Audio Inputs: The Sony HT-CT150 Home Theater System features both analog audio and digital audio inputs for connecting external audio sources such as your DVD player and CD player.
- Digital Audio: The HT-CT150 features 2 optical inputs and 1 coaxial input.
- Analog Audio: The system also features 2 pair of RCA stereo analog inputs.
HDMI (ver.1.4): The Sony HT-CT150 features 3 HDMI (ver.1.4) inputs and 1 HDMI (ver.1.4) output which supports 1080/24p, x.v.Color, Deep Color, and 3D, as well as ARC & HDMI control. The system can detect and receive the best possible video and audio signals from all connected devices via HDMI, making connection and performance as simple as plugging in a single wire. Sony's HDMI Active Intelligence, transmits both audio and video signals through one HDMI cable. The system's HDMI inputs/output support 480i, 480p, 720p, 1080i, and 1080p.
Note: The HT-CT150 system does not feature composite, S-video, or component video inputs/outputs.
1080/24p: The Sony HT-CT150 allows you to watch movies at their native frame rate 24p format (24 frames per second) when paired with a 24p playback device like a Blu-ray Disc Player.
3D Pass Through: The Sony HT-CT150 is compatible with 3D-ready Blu-ray disc movies, video games and other 3D content through its HDMI (v.1.4) connections.
Note: 3D viewing requires 3D-ready source with 3D content, 3D-ready HDTV, 3D glasses, and high-speed HDMI cable. Other 3D accessories may also be required.
x.v.Color: The Sony HT-CT150 supports x.v.Color, offering a wider color range than the current broadcast standard. For the x.v.Color feature to be useful, the entire video production chain must be compatible (camera-editing-format-player-display).
Deep Color: The Sony HT-CT150 also supports Deep Color which allows the color depth of video signals passing through HDMI to be raised. The number of colors that could be expressed by 1 pixel was 24 bits (16,777,216 colors) with a standard HDMI jack. However, the number of colors which can be expressed by 1 pixel is 36 bits with a Deep Color enabled HDMI jack. Since the gradation of the depth of a color can be expressed more finely with more bits, continuous color changes can be more smoothly expressed. For the Deep Color feature to be useful, the entire video production chain must be compatible (camera-editing-format-player-display).
Note: x.v. Color and Deep Color technology are supported only when source product, HDMI cable, media and HDTV all support those features.
Standby Pass-Through: You can conveniently access all your HDMI connected devices without having to power on the HT-CT150 system.
ARC (Audio Return Channel): This feature allows audio to be sent from your compatible HDTV to the HT-CT150 system through the same HDMI cable already being used to send audio and video to your HDTV. This eliminates the need for extra cables connected to your television.
Display Dimmer: The brightness of the powered subwoofer modules front-panel display can be set to one of two brightness levels.
Sleep Timer: You can set the system to turn off at a preset time when you want to fall asleep listening to music. You can preset the time in 10-minute increments from 10-90 minutes.
Auto Standby: You can reduce the system's power consumption. The system enters standby mode automatically when you do no operate the system for approximately 30 minutes and the system is not outputting sound for approximately 30 minutes.
Wireless Remote Control: The HT-CT150 comes supplied with a full-function IR remote control (RM-AAU072) for wireless operation of the system, which is also pre-programmed to operate other Sony audio/video equipment. You can also change the factory settings of the input buttons on the remote to suit the components in your system.
Bravia Theater Sync: Sony's Bravia Theater Sync feature allows you to easily manage select BRAVIA televisions and Sony HDMI audio and video components with a single remote. By connecting Sony components that are compatible with the HDMI Control function with a HDMI cable, operation is simplified in the following ways.
- One-Touch-Play: When you playback a component such as a DVD/Blu-ray Disc Player, the receiver and the TV are turned on automatically and switch to the appropriate HDMI input.
- System Audio Control: While watching TV, you can select to output the sound from the TV speaker or the speakers connected to the receiver.
- System Power Off: When you turn off the TV, the receiver and connected components are also turned off simultaneously.
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.