Why Choose Crutchfield?
Great gear and expert advice
Our experts help you pick the ideal gear for your needs.Meet our advisors
Free tech support for the life of your gear.Read about our one-on-one expert help
You may return items that are complete and like new for any reason within 60 days.See the details of our return policy
Earn one point for every dollar you spend and use those points to save on future purchases.Get full details on Crutchfield Rewards
Deep discounts on car installation gear
Trusted since 1974
Our customers have trusted us with their business, and they’ve helped us win awards for our service.Check out our most recent awards
The manufacturer’s warranty always applies.See more details
Powered 2.1-channel home theater sound bar with wireless subwoofer and Bluetooth®
Item # 158HTCT260 | MFR # HT-CT260
This item is no longer available.
Our take on the Sony HT-CT260 by Crutchfield's Woody Sherman
Get sound worthy of your high-definition image
Your HDTV looks awesome. But when you turn up the volume, it doesn't really sound awesome. The reason for that? Well, because lots of people like their TVs to be as thin as possible while delivering a big screen size, the built-in speakers are tiny.
So how do we remedy this? Well, there are, as you might imagine, lots of choices, some involving lots of speakers and high-tech components (we sell those, too). But if you're looking for a great-sounding, two-piece, one-audio-cable solution, you don't need to look further than this powerful HT-CT260 sound bar from Sony. With 300 watts of amplification feeding the sound bar and subwoofer, it has the power to reproduce anything from a whisper to a cataclysm, and with its S-Force® PRO Front Surround sound technology, you'll feel enveloped by your entertainment.
Wire-free at last
Installation is simple. Much of the time, one audio cable from your TV will take care of the setup. And your music sources haven't been forgotten, either. The HT-CT260 is Bluetooth® capable, so you can stream your music from compatible smartphones, tablets, media players and computers. And speaking of being wireless, the subwoofer for this system is wireless as well. Simply install the transmitter/receiver modules in the sound bar and sub and watch as your options for subwoofer placement in your listening room expand.
Ready for the latest
The 'CT260 has built-in Dolby® Digital, DTS®, and Dolby Pro Logic® II decoding for exciting surround-like effects with just about any entertainment source. So take the next step and make your make your TV sound as good as its picture looks.
It took me a few years to decide to give space, time and money for a soundbar. I'm glad I did.
Soundbar, Atlantic City, NJ
What's in the Box:
- Soundbar speaker (SA-CT260)
- Powered subwoofer module (SA-WCT260)
- 2 Wireless transceivers (EZW-RT50)
- Remote control (RM-ANP084)
- 2 "AA" batteries
- 39" Optical digital cable
- Operating Instructions (En/Fr/Sp)
- Limited Warranty sheet (US)
- Consumer 1 Year Warranty sheet (Canada)
- Online Product Registration sheet
- 2.1-channel system with simulated surround sound
- Bluetooth® capability for wireless streaming from your compatible smartphone, media player, tablet, or PC
- 300 watts RMS system power (85 watts x 2 for the sound bar, plus 130 watts for the subwoofer)
- 2 full-range speakers (2-1/4" x 3-1/4" each)
- 2 digital audio inputs (1 optical and 1 coaxial)
- 1 analog audio input (3.5mm minijack)
- connect most HDTVs with one digital optical cable (included)
- remote control
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- Sony's S-Force PRO Front Surround sound technology delivers a powerful surround sound effect without the need for extra speakers
- built-in Dolby® Digital, DTS®, and Pro Logic® II surround sound decoding
- 6 selectable soundfields: Movie, Game, Stereo, Music, Personal Audio, and Standard
- keyhole slots for wall-mounting
- weight: 6.1 lbs.
- 36-7/8"W x 4"H x 3-7/16"D
- bass-reflex (ported) design
- 5-1/8" woofer
- 10-5/8"W x 15-3/8"H x 10-5/8"D
Sony HT-CT260 Reviews
Average Customer Review(s):
Thanks for submitting your review
Features and Specs
|Pieces in System||2|
|Midrange||2.25" x 3.25" (2)|
|Surround Sound Decoding||No|
|4K Video Compatible||No|
|HDR Video Compatible||---|
|Audio Return Channel||---|
|Remote IR Passthrough||No|
|Works with TV Remote (IR)||---|
|Control by App||---|
|Mounting Bracket Included||No|
|Surface Mount Stand Included||Yes|
|Speaker Parts Warranty||1 Year|
|Speaker Labor Warranty||1 Year|
|Amplifier Parts Warranty||1 Year|
|Amplifier Labor Warranty||1 Year|
|System Frequency Response||Not Given|
|Sound Bar RMS Power||170|
|Subwoofer RMS Power||130|
|Inputs and Outputs|
|Mini Stereo Audio Inputs||1|
|RCA Stereo Audio Inputs||None|
|Optical Digital Audio Inputs||1|
|Coaxial Digital Audio Inputs||1|
|Sound Bar (inches)||4H x 36-7/8W x 3-7/16D|
|Sound Bar Weight||6.1 lbs|
|Subwoofer (inches)||15-3/8H x 10-5/8W x 10-5/8D|
|Subwoofer Weight||15.8 lbs|
Overview: The Sony HT-CT260 Home Theater System is a two-piece surround sound system which includes an amplified soundbar speaker and a wireless powered subwoofer module. This two-piece home theater system brings simplicity and performance together by pairing an self-amplified soundbar speaker and a wireless powered subwoofer to create a surround sound experience in a compact and easy to install package. The HT-CT260 Home Theater System features Dolby Digital & DTS decoding, along with S-Force Front Surround; plus built-in Bluetooth. The HT-CT260 includes an IR remote control for wireless operation of the system.
Amplified Soundbar Speaker: The HT-CT260's soundbar speaker houses two full-range, cone-type oval (2.25" x 3.25") drivers in a bass reflex enclosure, powered by a 85-watt x 2-channel S-Master digital amplifier. The soundbar speaker acts as your home theater systems front and center speakers as well as giving you the effect that you have rear speakers positioned behind you. The soundbar speaker can be securely placed on a stand or shelf via its two integrated feet, or even wall mounted using its two rear-mounted keyhole slots (mounting screws sold separately). The soundbar speaker's keyhole slots are spaced 10-3/16" apart.
Wireless Powered Subwoofer: The HT-CT260 wireless powered subwoofer is equipped with a down-firing 5.125" cone-type woofer in a bass-reflex enclosure (down-firing port), powered by a built-in 130-watt S-Master digital amplifier. The wireless powered subwoofer gets its signal from the system's soundbar wirelessly, via the two included 5.8GHZ wireless transceivers (installed in the back of soundbar and subwoofer). The wireless powered sub can be placed virtually anywhere in your room. There are no extra audio cables to run; you do have to plug the powered sub into an AC outlet.
S-Force Pro Front Surround: S-Force Pro Front Surround provides realistic surround sound from this two-piece home theater system. Unlike other "virtual surround" technologies, rear sound is generated from the soundbar speaker using sophisticated digital sound processing and does not need to be bounced off of side walls. No matter what the size or shape of the room or what is on the wall, it is possible to hear sounds from behind you without needing to place speakers behind you. You can select from one of the following sound fields to optimize your surround sound experience.
- Standard: Suits various sources.
- Movie: Recreates powerful and realistic sound, along with clear dialogue.
- Music: Suited for music programs or music videos on Blu-ray Discs/DVDs.
- Game: Produces powerful and realistic sound, suited for video games.
- Stereo: Suited for music CDs.
- Portable Audio: Suited for compressed audio music programs from a portable source.
Note: You can set a different sound field for each input source.
Digital Surround Formats: The HT-CT260 supports the following digital audio formats.
- Dolby Pro Logic II: Creates five full-bandwidth output channels from 2 channel sources.
- Dolby Digital: All six channels in this format are recorded separately for superior channel separation.
- DTS: Provides 5.1 discrete channels of high quality digital audio.
- LPCM: Linear PCM 2-channel of 48kHz or less.
Digital + Analog Audio Inputs: The Sony HT-CT260 Home Theater System features both analog (minijack) audio and digital (optical/coaxial) audio inputs for connecting external audio sources such as your DVD player and CD player. There is single minijack (3.5mm) analog audio input, one optical (toslink) digital audio input, and one coaxial (RCA) digital audio input.
Audio Adjustments: The HT-CT260 home theater system offers various audio adjustments to customize your music or movie listening experience.
- Speaker/Sub Level: You can adjust the level (+/-6dB) of the soundbar speaker and the powered subwoofer. This setting will be applied to all sound fields.
- Bass & Treble: You can adjust the system's bass and treble independently from -6 to +6 dB.
- A/V Sync: You can delay the sound using this function when the image is slower than the sound when you are playing a Dolby Digital/DTS source connected by a digital audio input.
- Audio DRC: This feature narrows the dynamic range of a Dolby Digital/DTS sound track for enjoying movies at low volume.
- Night Mode: You can enjoy sound effects and hear the dialogue clearly even at a low volume levels using this function.
Built-in Bluetooth: The Sony HT-CT260 Home Theater System features built-in Bluetooth (ver. 2.1+EDR) technology with A2DP/AVRCP. You can wirelessly stream and enjoy music from your smartphone, PC, tablet, music player, or other Bluetooth-enabled devices through the Sony HT-CT260.
Note: Due to the differences in Bluetooth technology, some Bluetooth enabled devices may be incompatible, function improperly, or may not support all features when used with the Sony HT-CT260.
Remote Control: The HT-CT260 comes supplied with a full-function IR remote control for wireless operation of the system. The remote can also control basic playback functions (Play/Pause, Fast Forward/Rewind, Previous/Next) for Bluetooth devices. In addition, the remote can be used to operate basic functions (Power On/Off, Volume Up/Down, Input) on select Sony, Samsung, LG, Panasonic, Vizio, Sharp, Toshiba, and Funai TVs.
Auto Standby: You can reduce the system's power consumption. The system enters standby mode automatically when you do no operate the system for approximately 30 minutes and the system is not outputting sound for approximately 30 minutes.
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.