Why Choose Crutchfield?
Great gear and expert advice
Our experts help you pick the ideal gear for your needs.Meet our advisors
Free tech support for the life of your gear.Read about our one-on-one expert help
You may return items that are complete and like new for any reason within 60 days.See the details of our return policy
Earn one point for every dollar you spend and use those points to save on future purchases.Get full details on Crutchfield Rewards
Deep discounts on car installation gear
We offer vehicle-specific installation instructions, dash kits, wiring harnesses, and speaker accessories at deeply discounted prices with car stereo and speaker purchases. Available for most vehicles.Learn more
Trusted since 1974
Our customers have trusted us with their business, and they’ve helped us win awards for our service.Check out our most recent awards
The manufacturer’s warranty always applies.See more details
Powered 2.1-channel home theater sound bar with wireless subwoofer and Bluetooth®
Item # 158HTCT26H | MFR # HTCT260H
This item is no longer available.
Our take on the Sony HT-CT260H by Crutchfield's Woody Sherman
Get sound worthy of your high-definition image
Your HDTV looks awesome. But when you turn up the volume, it doesn't really sound awesome. The reason for that? Well, because lots of people like their TVs to be as thin as possible while delivering a big screen size, the built-in speakers are tiny.
So how do we remedy this? Well, there are lots of choices, some involving lots of speakers and high-tech components (we sell those, too). But if you're looking for a great-sounding, two-piece solution, you don't need to look further than this powerful HT-CT260H sound bar from Sony. With 300 watts of amplification feeding the sound bar and subwoofer, it has the power to reproduce anything from a whisper to a cataclysm, and with its virtual surround sound technology, you'll feel enveloped by your entertainment.
Wire-free at last
Installation is simple. Much of the time, one cable from your TV will take care of the setup. And your music sources haven't been forgotten, either. The HT-CT260H is Bluetooth® capable, so you can stream your music from compatible smartphones, tablets, media players and computers. And speaking of being wireless, the subwoofer for this system is wireless as well. Simply install the transmitter/receiver modules in the sound bar and sub and watch as your options for subwoofer placement in your listening room expand.
Ready for the latest
The 'CT260H has built-in Dolby® Digital, DTS®, and Dolby Pro Logic® II decoding for exciting surround-like effects with just about any entertainment source. So take the next step and make your make your TV sound as good as its picture looks.
Great sound for a budget sound bar. The Bluetooth capability for listening to online music is a great feature.
David, Oklahoma City
What's in the Box:
- Soundbar speaker (SA-CT260H)
- Powered subwoofer module (SA-WCT260H)
- Remote control (RM-ANP109)
- 2 "AA" batteries
- 39" Optical digital cable
- Operating Instructions (En/Fr/Sp)
- Limited Warranty sheet (US)
- Consumer 1 Year Warranty sheet (Canada)
- Online Product Registration sheet
- 2.1-channel system with simulated surround sound
- Bluetooth® capability for wireless streaming from your compatible smartphone, media player, tablet, or PC
- 300 watts RMS system power (85 watts x 2 for the sound bar, plus 130 watts for the subwoofer)
- 2 full-range speakers (2-1/4" x 3-1/4" each)
- 1 optical digital audio input (cable supplied)
- 1 HDMI input and 1 HDMI output
- HDMI connection supports ARC (Audio Return Channel) operation with compatible TVs
- 1 analog audio input (3.5mm minijack)
- remote control
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- virtual sound technology delivers a powerful surround sound effect without the need for extra speakers
- built-in Dolby® Digital, DTS®, and Pro Logic® II surround sound decoding
- keyhole slots for wall-mounting
- weight: 6.1 lbs.
- 36-15/16"W x 3-15/16"H x 3-3/4"D
- bass-reflex (ported) design
- 5-1/8" woofer
- 10-5/8"W x 15-5/16"H x 10-5/8"D
Sony HT-CT260H Reviews
Average Customer Review(s):
Thanks for submitting your review
Features and Specs
|Pieces in System||2|
|Midrange||2.25" x 3.25" (2)|
|Surround Sound Decoding||No|
|4K Video Compatible||No|
|HDR Video Compatible||---|
|Audio Return Channel||---|
|Remote IR Passthrough||No|
|Works with TV Remote (IR)||---|
|Control by App||---|
|Mounting Bracket Included||No|
|Surface Mount Stand Included||Yes|
|Speaker Parts Warranty||1 Year|
|Speaker Labor Warranty||1 Year|
|Amplifier Parts Warranty||1 Year|
|Amplifier Labor Warranty||1 Year|
|System Frequency Response||Not Given|
|Sound Bar RMS Power||170|
|Subwoofer RMS Power||130|
|Inputs and Outputs|
|Mini Stereo Audio Inputs||1|
|RCA Stereo Audio Inputs||None|
|Optical Digital Audio Inputs||1|
|Coaxial Digital Audio Inputs||None|
|Sound Bar (inches)||3-15/16H x 36-15/16W x 3-3/4D|
|Sound Bar Weight||4.8125 lbs|
|Subwoofer (inches)||15-5/16H x 10-5/8W x 10-5/8D|
|Subwoofer Weight||13.875 lbs|
Overview: The Sony HT-CT260H Home Theater System is a two-piece surround sound system which includes an amplified soundbar speaker and a wireless powered subwoofer module. This two-piece home theater system brings simplicity and performance together by pairing an self-amplified soundbar speaker and a wireless powered subwoofer to create a surround sound experience in a compact and easy to install package. The HT-CT260H Home Theater System features HDMI In/Out, Dolby Digital & DTS decoding, along with S-Force Front Surround; plus built-in Bluetooth. The HT-CT260H includes an IR remote control for wireless operation of the system.
Amplified Soundbar Speaker: The HT-CT260H's soundbar speaker houses two full-range, cone-type oval (2.25" x 3.25") drivers in a bass reflex enclosure, powered by a 85-watt x 2-channel S-Master digital amplifier. The soundbar speaker acts as your home theater systems front and center speakers as well as giving you the effect that you have rear speakers positioned behind you. The soundbar speaker can be securely placed on a stand or shelf via its two integrated feet, or even wall mounted using its two rear-mounted keyhole slots (mounting screws sold separately). The soundbar speaker's keyhole slots are spaced 23.125" apart (the speaker's two feet need to be removed for wall-mounting).
Wireless Powered Subwoofer: The HT-CT260H wireless powered subwoofer is equipped with a down-firing 5.125" cone-type woofer in a bass-reflex enclosure (down-firing port), powered by a built-in 130-watt S-Master digital amplifier. The wireless powered subwoofer gets its signal from the system's soundbar wirelessly, via 5.8GHZ RF wireless transmission. The wireless powered sub can be placed virtually anywhere in your room. There are no extra audio cables to run; you do have to plug the powered sub into an AC outlet.
S-Force Pro Front Surround: S-Force Pro Front Surround provides realistic surround sound from this two-piece home theater system. Unlike other "virtual surround" technologies, rear sound is generated from the soundbar speaker using sophisticated digital sound processing and does not need to be bounced off of side walls. No matter what the size or shape of the room or what is on the wall, it is possible to hear sounds from behind you without needing to place speakers behind you. You can select from one of the following sound fields to optimize your surround sound experience.
- Standard: Suits various sources.
- Movie: Recreates powerful and realistic sound, along with clear dialogue.
- Music: Suited for music programs or music videos on Blu-ray Discs/DVDs.
- Game: Produces powerful and realistic sound, suited for video games.
- Stereo: Suited for music CDs.
- Portable Audio: Suited for compressed audio music programs from a portable source.
Note: You can set a different sound field for each input source.
Digital Surround Formats: The HT-CT260H supports the following digital audio formats.
- Dolby Pro Logic II: Creates five full-bandwidth output channels from 2 channel sources.
- Dolby Digital: All six channels in this format are recorded separately for superior channel separation.
- DTS: Provides 5.1 discrete channels of high quality digital audio.
- LPCM: Linear PCM 2-channel of 48kHz or less.
HDMI Input/Output: The Sony HT-CT260H features 1 HDMI (ver.1.4) input and 1 HDMI (ver.1.4) output which support 1080/24p, x.v.Color, Deep Color, and 3D video; as well as ARC & HDMI control, plus Standby Pass-Through. The HDMI jacks transmit both multi-channel audio and high-definition video signals. The system's HDMI input/output supports 480i, 480p, 720p, 1080i, and 1080p.
- 1080/24p: The Sony HT-CT260H allows you to watch movies at their native frame rate 24p format (24 frames per second) when paired with a 24p playback device like a Blu-ray Disc Player.
- 3D Pass Through: The Sony HT-CT260H is compatible with 3D-ready Blu-ray disc movies, video games and other 3D content through its HDMI (v.1.4) connections. 3D viewing requires 3D-ready source with 3D content, 3D-ready HDTV, 3D glasses, and high-speed HDMI cable. Other 3D accessories may also be required.
- Deep/x.v.Color: The Sony HT-CT260H also supports Deep Color and x.v.Color content, which can display a larger color range than standard-definition schemes. The result is a more lifelike, vibrant picture.
- ARC (Audio Return Channel): This feature allows audio to be sent from your compatible HDTV to the HT-CT260H system through the same HDMI cable already being used to send audio and video to your HDTV. This eliminates the need for extra cables connected to your television.
- Standby Pass-Through: You can conveniently access all your HDMI connected devices without having to power on the HT-CT260H system.
Digital + Analog Audio Inputs: The Sony HT-CT260H Home Theater System features both analog (minijack) audio and digital (optical) audio inputs for connecting external audio sources such as your DVD player and CD player. There is single minijack (3.5mm) analog audio input and one optical (toslink) digital audio input.
Audio Adjustments: The HT-CT260H home theater system offers various audio adjustments to customize your music or movie listening experience.
- Speaker/Sub Level: You can adjust the level (+/-6dB) of the soundbar speaker and the powered subwoofer. This setting will be applied to all sound fields.
- Bass & Treble: You can adjust the system's bass and treble independently from -6 to +6 dB.
- A/V Sync: You can delay the sound using this function when the image is slower than the sound when you are playing a Dolby Digital/DTS source connected by a digital audio input. A/V sync is fixed a 45 msec.
- Audio DRC: This feature narrows the dynamic range of a Dolby Digital/DTS sound track for enjoying movies at low volume.
- Night Mode: You can enjoy sound effects and hear the dialogue clearly even at a low volume levels using this function.
Built-in Bluetooth: The Sony HT-CT260H Home Theater System features built-in Bluetooth (ver. 3.0) technology with A2DP/AVRCP. You can wirelessly stream and enjoy music from your smartphone, PC, tablet, music player, or other Bluetooth-enabled devices through the Sony HT-CT260H. You can pair multiple devices, but only one can be used at a time. Once paired, the HT-CT260H will automatically re-connect with your device when in wireless range (up to 33').
Note: Due to the differences in Bluetooth technology, some Bluetooth enabled devices may be incompatible, function improperly, or may not support all features when used with the Sony HT-CT260H.
Programmable Remote w/ HDMI Control & IR Pass-Through: The HT-CT260H comes supplied with a full-function IR remote control for wireless operation of the system. The IR remote is programmable and offers HDMI control.
- Programmable: In addition, the remote can be used to operate basic functions (Power On/Off, Volume Up/Down, Input) on select Sony, Samsung, LG, Panasonic, Vizio, Sharp, Toshiba, and Funai TVs.
- HDMI Control: HDMI Control allows you to easily manage
and operate an HDMI Control compatible television and other audio/video
components with a single remote, when all components are connected via HDMI.
By connecting HDMI-CEC components operation is simplified in the following
- One-Touch-Play: When you playback a component such as a DVD/Blu-ray Disc Player, the receiver and the TV are turned on automatically and switch to the appropriate HDMI input.
- System Audio Control: While watching TV, you can select to output the sound from the TV speaker or the speakers connected to the receiver.
- System Power Off: When you turn off the TV, the receiver and connected components are also turned off simultaneously.
Auto Standby: You can reduce the system's power consumption. The system enters standby mode automatically when you do no operate the system for approximately 30 minutes and the system is not outputting sound for approximately 30 minutes.
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.
7 questions already asked
Sorry, I can't help you as I did not use the wall mount option. [ Henry Apr 06, 2014 ]
There are a pair of keyways let into the frame for attaching to the wall, and screws to do it come with the package. I mounted mine to the bracket that mounts my flat screen. I placed it above the screen. Hope this helps! No sweat! [ ROBERT J Apr 06, 2014 ]
I'm not sure what all the remote works. I got the system for my parents so I have not messed with the system alot. I'm thinking it will change inputs on the tv and work the volume once paired. I just hooked up the optical cord that came with it instead of the HDMI. [ DONALD F Mar 17, 2014 ]
Sorry, over my head. Love the sound! [ Bryan Mar 16, 2014 ]
1 answer Does anyone know if you can hook up Bluetooth wireless headphones to this sound bar to listen to movies without bothering other people in the house? In other words, does the Bluetooth functionality work both ways, both to attach media devices and to listen to what's coming from the TV? [ Maria_Neva Mar 09, 2014 ]
Not using it in that fashion. [ ROBERT Mar 10, 2014 ]
I hooked up to LG 1080p. Have DISH; keep all my controllers handy (DISH, LG,ROKU, Sony) - much easier to use - personal preference. Sony controller has additional features I use to control sound from movies to games to standard TV along with changing the bass & treble levels as well as volume (many functions). [ LEONARD Feb 04, 2014 ]
If your Samsung has an HDMI input that supports Audio Return Channel (ARC) technology, you can connect the Sony HT-CT260H to that input using a high speed HDMI cable. ARC will be indicated at the HDMI jack. You will see the letters ARC by the jack.That will allow you to control your tv and the sound bar with tv remote. The sound bar will come on when you turn your tv on. You will have to turn the tv speakers off. My LG 55LM7600 has an HDMI input that supports ARC, but it doesn't appear to work as advertised. I had to manually re-direct the sound to the sound bar every time I turned on the tv. So I ended up connecting the Sony product to the tv with a digital optical cable. This means I have to turn on/off the sound bar with the sound bar remote and control the sound volume with this remote. But all other functions are controlled with the tv remote. Hope this helps. [ William Jan 22, 2014 ]
According to the instruction manual, the remote can be programmed with the following manufacturers: SONY Samsung LG Panasonic VIZIO Sharp Toshiba My older style plasma television (Philips) was not compatible so I have an extra remote to deal with. The manufacturer list seems to be based off the latest or most recent standards. Your connection options are mainly: Digital optical cable (supplied) HDMI (not supplied) I use my sound bar with a Bright House HD tuner. I cannot get the Bright House remote to work with it either so I have to juggle with multiple remotes. Make sure your television has these ports. If you want better quality cables, you'll have to purchase them yourself. There is also a tiny jack (i think a 8mm style port) for connecting portable music player or small earbud style headphones to it. [ Henry Jan 22, 2014 ]
I'm not sure about the Directv remote working the HT surround system itself but it should operate the volume on the TV with no problem. I got this for a family member for Christmas so I haven't sat down to see what all it would connect with. You can use the optical wire (supplied) or a HDMI to hook the HT system to the TV. Great system and I like that you can move the sub to different areas since its wireless. [ DONALD F Jan 21, 2014 ]
It will work with your samsung tv and the tv remote .. I'm not sure about your direct tv remote though ... But I have a Samsung 50 " smart tv and it works just fine ... Plus the Bluetooth capability is amazing ... I love it ... !!! [ PARBATIE Jan 21, 2014 ]
Just to add... Speakers do not have rca inputs [ ROBERT Jan 21, 2014 ]
The tv must have hdmi output or digital optical output. Analog output will not make you happy. Will work with directv remote. [ ROBERT Jan 21, 2014 ]
If you use optical output from your TV (In order to have digital sound) you will need to check with your TV manual, how to control the volume level from the TV. If you bridge from the Direct TV box to the TV, you will need to check your Direct TV Box manual if is compatible. Additional, the HT-CT260H include a remote that can control the TV; (not sure the Direct TV Box). [ FELIPE Jan 21, 2014 ]
That depends on how you are using the receiver, and the connections you need to make. I would recommend reaching out to an Advisor by phone or online chat. They can discuss your current system and how this would integrate. [ Jeff Dec 31, 2013 ] Staff
It comes with the recommended (default) settings you can set to. [ Barry Jan 06, 2014 ]
Not to my knowledge. I just experimented with different settings to get a sound I like. +6 bass was too deep for us. Shook living room. Afraid I'd blow speaker at loud volume. Think I use +3. You can call & ask Crutchfield. [ Hank Dec 30, 2013 ]
The HT-CT260H is the replacement model for the HT-CT260. The difference is that the 260 had a coaxial digital input, but did not have HDMI capability. The 260H does not have the coaxial input, but does have both HDMI input and output. [ Jeff Dec 14, 2013 ] Staff