Why Choose Crutchfield?
Great gear and expert advice
Our experts help you pick the ideal gear for your needs.Meet our advisors
Free tech support for the life of your gear.Read about our one-on-one expert help
You may return items that are complete and like new for any reason within 60 days.See the details of our return policy
Earn one point for every dollar you spend and use those points to save on future purchases.Get full details on Crutchfield Rewards
Deep discounts on car installation gear
We offer vehicle-specific installation instructions, dash kits, wiring harnesses, and speaker accessories at deeply discounted prices with car stereo and speaker purchases. Available for most vehicles.Learn more
Trusted since 1974
Our customers have trusted us with their business, and they’ve helped us win awards for our service.Check out our most recent awards
The manufacturer’s warranty always applies.See more details
Powered home theater sound bar with 7.1-channel surround sound and wireless subwoofer
From Sony: HT-ST7 Powered Home Theater Sound Bar
Item # 158HTST7 | MFR # 11188371
This item is no longer available.
Our take on the Sony HT-ST7 by Crutchfield's David Brown
Excellent home theater sound doesn't get any easier
Having trouble deciding between a sound bar and a conventional surround sound setup? Then check out Sony's HT-ST7. This two-piece system combines easy sound bar setup and operation with some of the versatility of a multi-speaker home theater system. With 9 built-in drivers, this bar is every bit as sophisticated as it looks. It offers lots of connections, advanced Dolby® and DTS® decoding, and customizable settings to dial in the sound to your liking. And the wireless subwoofer can rattle the rafters from virtually any spot in your room. Best of all, the HT-ST7's quick setup makes it easy to start enjoying thrilling surround effects from movies and TV shows.
Movie sound that will get your attention
With 7 built-in amplifiers driving 7 dedicated channels, the HT-ST7 is designed to play back the latest high-resolution multichannel formats like Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD Master Audio. Plus, by connecting your Blu-ray player directly to the bar, you can enjoy these formats in their native resolution, ensuring you get the best possible sound from your Blu-ray discs. Movie dialogue will be centered and clear, standing out over sweeping soundtrack music, while ambient noise and surround effects are dispersed across your room in a broad soundstage for engaging sound that will breathe new life into your favorite movies.
Made for music...from smartphones or discs
The HT-ST7 is Bluetooth-compatible for streaming music wirelessly from a smartphone or computer.
Most sound bars are designed with movies and TV in mind. But Sony built the HT-ST7 to sound great with music as well. Bust out those concert Blu-rays and CDs and bring the performance to life in your living room. Or if you'd rather stream music from your smartphone or computer, then switch the input to Bluetooth® to enjoy music without wires or discs. Try “music” mode to boost the upper frequencies for clear, detailed sound from all your music sources.
Put your subwoofer anywhere
The best part about the HT-ST7's subwoofer? No, it's not the 100 watts of floor-thumping bass it delivers. It's not even the ability to choose from three different sub “tones” or control its volume from the remote, to fine-tune your system's bass response. The best part is that it's wireless, so you can place it anywhere in your room without worrying about where to run the cable.
Cool tweaks without leaving your seat
Don't make the mistake of thinking the HT-ST7's remote is only useful for turning the volume up and down. There are lots of settings that are easy to control without moving from the couch. Boost dialogue levels with the “voice” button if you're having trouble understanding whispered conversations. Or lower the subwoofer volume during late-night movie watching to keep from disturbing others. The bar's large LCD display lets you see what you're doing. Worried it will distract you while watching movies with lights dimmed? You can dim it or turn it off completely.
Much improved sound over the Samsung display speakers.
Tom, Cary, NC
What's in the Box:
- Active soundbar speaker (SA-ST7)
- Wireless powered sub (SA-WST7)
- Grille frame
- 2 Wireless transceivers (EZW-RT50)
- Remote control (RM-ANU164)
- 2 "AAA" batteries
- 58" Optical digital cable
- IR blaster
- 2 Feet
- 2 Screws
- Operating Instructions
- Reference Guide
- Online Product Registration
- Limited Warranty Information (US/CA)
- "About the IR blaster" note
- 9 drivers deliver 7-channel surround sound
- front right/left channels each use a 2-1/2" cone woofer and a 3/4" dome tweeter
- 5 center 2-5/8" cone woofers
- 50 watts RMS per channel with 2 channels driven
- large LCD display shows currently selected input and settings options
- display can be dimmed or turned off
- 3 HDMI inputs, 1 HDMI output
- HDMI connections support 3D/4K video, Audio Return Channel, and HDMI-CEC
- 2 optical and 1 coaxial digital audio inputs
- stereo RCA input
- key hole slots for mounting on wall (screws not included)
- 42-9/16"W x 4-1/4"H x 4-15/16"D
- weight: 17.4 lbs.
- 100-watt built-in amplifier
- connects to bar wirelessly using included transmitters
- front-firing 7" cone woofer and down-firing 7-7/8" x 11-7/8" passive radiator
- 9-1/2"W x 15-3/8"H x 16-1/4"D
- weight: 24.7 lbs.
- Sony's S-Force® Surround technology for a powerful 7.1 surround effect
- Bluetooth-compatible for wireless music listening from a smartphone, tablet, or computer
- aptX® encoding provides high-quality music streaming from compatible devices
- NFC-compatible for one-touch pairing with compatible smartphones
- 450 watts total system power
- built-in Dolby® and DTS® decoding, including Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD Master Audio
- subwoofer tone and volume controls (via remote) to customize bass response
- "voice" control raises dialogue levels
- sound modes optimize system for music, movies, or sports
- includes optical digital cable
- remote control and IR blaster
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
Sony HT-ST7 Reviews
Average Customer Review(s):
Thanks for submitting your review
Features and Specs
|Pieces in System||2|
|Surround Sound Decoding||No|
|4K Video Compatible||No|
|HDR Video Compatible||---|
|Audio Return Channel||---|
|Remote IR Passthrough||No|
|Works with TV Remote (IR)||---|
|Control by App||---|
|Mounting Bracket Included||No|
|Surface Mount Stand Included||Yes|
|Speaker Parts Warranty||1 Year|
|Speaker Labor Warranty||1 Year|
|Amplifier Parts Warranty||1 Year|
|Amplifier Labor Warranty||1 Year|
|System Frequency Response||Not Given|
|Sound Bar RMS Power||50 x 7|
|Subwoofer RMS Power||100 x 1|
|Inputs and Outputs|
|Mini Stereo Audio Inputs||None|
|RCA Stereo Audio Inputs||1|
|Optical Digital Audio Inputs||2|
|Coaxial Digital Audio Inputs||1|
|Sound Bar (inches)||4-1/4H x 42-9/16W x 4-15/16D|
|Sound Bar Weight||17.4375 lbs|
|Subwoofer (inches)||15-3/8H x 9-1/2W x 16-1/4D|
|Subwoofer Weight||24.6875 lbs|
High-Definition Soundbar Speaker System: The Sony HT-ST7 High-Definition Soundbar Speaker System is a two-piece surround sound system that brings simplicity and performance together by pairing a self-amplified soundbar speaker and a wireless powered subwoofer to create and exceptional audio experience marked by rich, natural, clear sound that complements your high-definition flat-panel TV's incredible picture. The HT-ST7's soundbar system will make any music or movie soundtrack come to life.
- Active Soundbar: The HT-ST7's soundbar speaker features 9-indivual drivers, including integrated front and center channels plus dedicated tweeters, all powered by 7-discrete digital amplifiers. The soundbar speaker uses two 0.75" tweeters and two 2.5" midrange drivers for the left & right front channels; each channel is powered by a discrete 50-watt amp, while five 2.5" full-range drivers make up the center channel; each center channel driver is powered by a discrete 50-watt amplifier.
- Wireless Powered Sub: The HT-ST7 includes a wireless powered subwoofer that compliments the soundbar for a seamless sound. The wireless subwoofer houses a front-firing 7" woofer powered by a built-in 100-watt amplifier and down-firing 7.875" x 11.8125" passive radiator to deliver a powerful low bass notes.
Note: Two wireless transceivers are included which need to be plugged into the back of the active soundbar speaker and the wireless powered sub for wireless transmission between the soundbar and the subwoofer.
Magnetic Fluid Speaker Technology: The Sony HT-ST7 employs Magnetic Fluid Speaker technology. In conventional speakers, dampers provide suspension and stability for voice coils, which unfortunately create unwanted noise and distortion. By eliminating speaker dampers and replacing them with magnetic fluid speaker technology, energy efficiency is dramatically improved, and mid and high ranges are extended in incredible detail and clarity. With Magnetic Fluid Speaker technology, the HT-ST7 allows a more accurate revealing sound, in addition to cranking out 1.6x the volume of a conventional speaker.
S-Force Front Surround Technology: By using powerful digital Sony S-Master digital amplifiers (450W total power) and DSP (Digital Signal Processing) technology, realistic surround sound can be generated from this two-piece surround sound system. Unlike other "virtual surround" technologies, rear sound is generated from the soundbar speaker using sophisticated digital sound processing and does not need to be bounced off of side walls. No matter what the size or shape of the room or what is on the wall, it is possible to hear sounds from behind you without needing to place speakers behind you. You can select from one of the following soundfields (Standard, Movie, Music, or Football) to optimize your surround sound experience.
HDMI Inputs/Output: The Sony HT-ST7 features 3 HDMI inputs and 1 HDMI output which supports 4K pass-through, 1080/24p video, x.v.Color, Deep Color, and 3D; as well as ARC and standby pass-through. The system can detect and receive the best possible video and audio signals from all connected devices via HDMI, making connection and performance as simple as plugging in a single wire. Sony's HDMI Active Intelligence, transmits both audio and video signals through one HDMI cable. The system's HDMI inputs/output support 480i, 480p, 720p, 1080i, 1080p, and 4K.
- 4K Pass-Through: 4K Pass-Through allows the Sony HT-ST7 to receive super high-definition resolution video and pass the video signal to a 4K compatible TV or display monitor. The HT-ST7's HDMI jacks do not support the latest HDCP 2.2 copyright protection for 4K ultra-HD content, so it will not support 4K content from satellite/cable providers, online video services, and Blu-ray disc which are copyright protected with HDCP 2.2.
- 1080/24p: The Sony HT-ST7 allows you to watch movies at their native frame rate 24p format (24 frames per second) when paired with a 24p playback device like a Blu-ray Disc Player.
- 3D-Ready: The Sony HT-ST7 is compatible with 3D-ready Blu-ray disc movies, video games and other 3D content through its HDMI (v.1.4) connections. 3D viewing requires 3D-ready source with 3D content, 3D-ready HDTV, 3D glasses, and high-speed HDMI cable. Other 3D accessories may also be required.
- Deep/x.v.Color: The Sony HT-ST7 also supports Deep Color and x.v.Color content, which can display a larger color range than standard-definition schemes. The result is a more lifelike, vibrant picture.
- Standby Pass-Through: You can conveniently access all your HDMI connected devices without having to power on the HT-ST7 system.
- ARC (Audio Return Channel): This feature allows audio to be sent from your compatible HDTV to the HT-ST7 system through the same HDMI cable already being used to send audio and video to your HDTV. This eliminates the need for extra cables connected to your television.
Note: Because with most televisions, the ARC-enabled HDMI input will only pass 2ch PCM from devices connected to the TV via HDMI or analog, we recommend that you connect your Blu-ray/DVD player, Satellite/Cable box, or Gaming console to the Sony HT-ST7 directly; and then connect the HT-ST7's ARC-enabled HDMI output to your TV's ARC-enabled HDMI input. This setup will give you with the best overall sound performance.
Digital Surround Formats: The HT-ST7 supports the following digital audio formats.
- Dolby Digital: Dolby Digital, Dolby Digital Plus, Dolby TrueHD
- DTS: DTS, DTS HD High Resolution, DTS HD Master Audio, DTS 96/24
- Linear PCM: 2ch (48 kHz or less), 5.1ch (96 kHz or less), or 7.ch (192 kHz or less)
Note: Dolby Digital Plus, Dolby TrueHD, DTS-HD Master Audio, DTS-HD High Resolution, and LPCM 7ch is only supported via HDMI.
Digital + Analog Audio Inputs: The Sony HT-ST7 home theater system features both analog audio and digital audio inputs for connecting external audio sources such as your Blu-ray player, DVD player, and CD player. There is a stereo RCA analog audio input, two optical (toslink) digital audio inputs, and one coaxial (RCA) digital audio input. The digital inputs supports Dolby Digital, DTS, and 2ch PCM audio signals.
Note: The digital optical output terminals of most newer flat-panel TVs only send an audio signal in 5.1ch when receiving Dolby Digital/DTS surround sound from the TV's built-in tuner, network connection, or connected USB device; and will output only 2ch stereo from sources connected to the TV via HDMI, or RCA (like your Blue-ray/DVD player or satellite/cable box).
Audio Enhancement: The HT-ST7 home theater system offers various audio enhancements to customize your music or movie listening experience.
- Voice/Dialog Adjustment: Dialog adjustment adjusts the equalizer level of the mid to high frequency range. As the range is adjusted, voices become clearer and sound volume is elevated.
- Subwoofer Tone: Subwoofer Tone lets you change the subwoofer tone, in addition to the resonance of the low frequency range, to a level that's comfortable to you. This function delivers heavy bass sound as well as ensuring listening comfort in the low-frequency range and a clear mid-range. Sony's unique proprietary Digital Motional Feedback technology detects the amplitude of subwoofer unit vibration and uses it to control high-precision digital signal processing
- Sound Optimizer: Sound Optimizer technology is a sound compensation function that serves to maintain recognizable sound, even at low volume. Due to the characteristics of human auditory perception, high- and low-frequency sound ranges become hard to hear when the total sound volume level is lowered. However, by maintaining these frequency ranges at a higher level, sound can be easily heard and recognized.
- Harmonics Equalizer: The Harmonics Equalizer functions lets you hear the details that have gone missing from your compressed MP3 music (digital music).
- Auto Volume: Auto Volume adjust the volume automatically depending on the input signal or content from the connected equipment. This function is useful, for example, when the sound of a commercial is louder than the TV programs.
- Dynamic Range Control: This feature narrows the dynamic range of a Dolby Digital/DTS sound track for enjoying movies at low volume.
- A/V Sync: You can delay the sound using this function when the image is slower than the sound when you are playing a Dolby, Digital, DTS or Linear PCM source connected by a digital audio input or HDMI. The A/V sync delay can be set between 0-200 msec.
Built-in Bluetooth: The Sony HT-ST7 home theater system features built-in Bluetooth (ver. 3.0) technology with support for A2DP/AVRCP, NFC (Near Field Communication), and aptX.
- Simple Paring w/ NFC: You can manually pair your device with the HT-ST7 or use Near Field Communication (NFC) to automatically pair your device with integrated NFC tag. Up to 9 devices can be paired (only one can be played at a time). Once you have paired your Bluetooth-enabled device, your mobile device will automatically connect with the soundbar speaker when in range (up to 33'). The soundbar will then automatically turn-on and start to stream music from your mobile device without any additional steps or having to turn on additional components.
- A2DP/AVRCP: Utilizing Bluetooth A2DP & AVRCP, you can wirelessly stream stored music and music apps from your smartphone, tablet or other compatible device to the HT-ST7 system. The included remote can control basic playback functions (Play/Pause, Fast Forward/Reverse, Previous/Next Track) of your connected Bluetooth-enabled device.
- aptX Codec: aptX audio coding technology allows for lossless, CD-quality wireless streaming of music from your aptX compatible Bluetooth device.
Note: NFC is compatible with Android smartphones (2.3.3 or later, excluding 3.x). You will also need to download the NFC Easy Connect App onto your compatible Android smartphone from Google Play. The NFC tag of the HT-ST7's soundbar speaker is located on its top-panel. Due to the differences in Bluetooth technology, some Bluetooth enabled devices may be incompatible, function improperly, or may not support all features when used with the Sony HT-ST7.
Programmable Remote w/ HDMI Control & IR Pass-Through: The HT-ST7 comes supplied with a full-function IR remote control for wireless operation of the system. The IR remote is programmable and offers HDMI control. The HT-ST7 also provides and IR pass-through function on the soundbar speaker.
- Programmable: In addition, the remote can be used to operate basic functions (Power On/Off, Volume Up/Down, Input) on select Sony, Samsung, LG, Panasonic, Vizio, Sharp, Toshiba, and Funai TVs.
- HDMI Control: HDMI Control allows you to easily manage
and operate an HDMI Control compatible television and other audio/video
components with a single remote, when all components are connected via HDMI.
By connecting HDMI-CEC components operation is simplified in the following
- One-Touch-Play: When you playback a component such as a DVD/Blu-ray Disc Player, the receiver and the TV are turned on automatically and switch to the appropriate HDMI input.
- System Audio Control: While watching TV, you can select to output the sound from the TV speaker or the speakers connected to the receiver.
- System Power Off: When you turn off the TV, the receiver and connected components are also turned off simultaneously.
- IR Pass-Through: With many other soundbar systems, placing the soundbar speaker on your TV stand can be problematic and block the TV's remote control sensor, forcing you to stand up and angle your remote to control your TV. The HT-ST7 soundbar speaker's features an IR repeater pass-through which allows your TV remote control commands to pass-through the front of the soundbar to the TV behind it, eliminating this problem.
Mounting Options: The soundbar speaker can be securely placed on a stand or shelf via its two mounting feet, or even wall mounted using its two rear-mounted keyhole slots (feet must be removed; mounting screws sold separately). The spacing of the two keyhole slots is 26.5". Because the powered subwoofer uses 5.8GHz wireless technology, it can be placed virtually anywhere in your room. There are no extra audio cables to run; you do have to plug the powered sub into an AC outlet.
LCD Dimmer: The HT-ST7's soundbar speaker includes a front-panel LCD screen that can be dimmed or turned off to make the soundbar disappear. It only shows you the input selected or volume level when you need it, so you can immerse yourself in the sound without distraction.
Auto Standby: You can reduce the system's power consumption. The system enters standby mode automatically when you do no operate the system for approximately 30 minutes and the system is not outputting sound for approximately 30 minutes.
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.
3 questions already asked
no [ DANNY R Apr 16, 2015 ]
I believe the HTST does utilize hdmi2. The connection is the same as hdmi and the HTST7 does support 3d/4k which hdmi2 runs on. [ Jason Apr 16, 2015 ]
The owners manual does not specify that the connectors are 2.0; however it will pass through up to 4096 x 2160p@ 23.98/24 Hz. So to answer your question yes. I'm only running Blue Ray and 3D due to the limited 4K content in the market place and I have not had any issues. The sound bar in my opinion is the best you can buy and is as close as you'll get to true 7.1 surround sound. [ BRYAN J Apr 15, 2015 ]
There are 3 HDMI inputs and 1 HDMI output [ Afzal Apr 15, 2015 ]
connect the white and the red RCA connectors from the audio out of your receiver to the audio in on the sound bar. Should work fine good luck [ Jeffory Dec 04, 2014 ]
The specifications say the Power Requirements are 120 V AC, 60 Hz for both the main unit and separate subwoofer. [ Douglas Nov 22, 2014 ]
110 volt only [ DANNY R Nov 22, 2014 ]