Sony 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 G SSM II
Telephoto zoom lens for Sony A-mount DSLR cameras
Item # 158L7300G2 | MFR # SAL70300G2
Offers & Financing
Ask an expert
Our VA-based experts can help.
Our take on the Sony 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 G SSM II by Crutchfield's Deia Z.
Go the distance
Capture distant subjects with clarity and precision with Sony's 70-300mm G SSM II lens. On APS-C sensor cameras, this powerful lens has a 105-450mm equivalent focal range, giving you even more reach. Sony's anti-reflective coating and an Extra-low Dispersion lens element reduce distortion and aberrations for outstanding high-resolution images, while a nine-blade circular aperture gives you a smoothly defocused background when shooting wide open.
The lens' focal range and wide maximum aperture let you play up your subject by compressing and blurring the background, making it an excellent choice for portraits, close-ups, and detail shots. Great for outdoor photography in any season, the lens' dust- and moisture-resistant construction means that if the weather takes a turn, you won't have to pack it in until you're ready.
- Sony 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 G SSM II
- compatible with Sony A-mount DSLR cameras
- effective focal length:
- 70-300mm with full-frame sensor cameras
- 105-450mm with APS-C sensor cameras
- Super Sonic wave Motor (SSM) enables smooth, quiet autofocusing
- Nano AR anti-reflective coating effectively counteracts flare and ghosting for improved contrast and color
- dust- and moisture-resistant
- ED (extra-low dispersion) lens element for better sharpness and contrast
- minimum focus distance: 3.94'
- lens construction: 16 elements in 11 groups
- 9-blade circular aperture for natural rendering of out-of-focus background elements
- range limiter controls for fast, accurate focusing
- focus hold button for added control
- filter/attachment size: 62mm
- lens is 3-1/4" in diameter and 5-3/8" long
- weight: 26.5 oz.
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- lens hood, front and rear lens caps, lens case
What's in the Box:
- 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 G SSM II (SAL70300G2) zoom lens
- 62mm Front lens cap (installed)
- Rear lens cap (installed)
- ALC-SH140 Lens hood
- Operating Instructions (3 booklets - 16 languages)
- Precautions Before Using booklet
- Limited Warranty (US)
- European Guarantee Information Document
Why Shop With Us?10 Reasons.
Features and Specs
|Mount Type||Sony A-mount|
|Sensor Size||Full frame|
|Maximum Aperture||f/4.5 (W) - 5.6 (T)|
|Parts Warranty||1 Year|
|Labor Warranty||1 Year|
Overview: The Sony SAL70300G2 (70-300mm F4.5-5.6 G SSM II) is a high quality, versatile telephoto zoom lens that is designed for use with Full-frame cameras. It has a 35mm equivalent focal length of 105-450mm when used with APS-C format cameras. The lens is equipped with a Sony A-mount, and is designed for use with Sony α (alpha) Interchangeable Lens Digital Cameras.
SSM: The SAL70300G2 lens features a rear focusing mechanism with a built-in Super Sonic-wave Motor (SSM). Rear focusing lenses give you reduced minimum focusing distances, while a SSM focus in near silence, making them ideal for movies, as well as still images.
Fast Aperture: The fast F4.5-5.6 aperture enables you to shoot at higher shutter speeds, making it ideal for sports photography.
ED (Extra-low Dispersion) Glass: The lens is equipped with one ED (Extra-low Dispersion) glass element for sharp, high contrast images at all focal lengths. The images feature high resolution and color fidelity throughout the image, even at large aperture settings.
Focus Range Limiter: The lens has a Focus Mode Switch with a Focus Range limiter. The switch has three positions. Position 1 is AF Full which allows you auto focusing throughout the entire focus range. Position 2 limits the Auto Focus from 3 meters (10 feet) to infinity. Position 3 is for Manual Focusing, adjustable with the focusing ring.
In-Camera Image Stabilization: The SAL70300G2 does not have built-in image stabilization. All of the compatible Sony DSLR cameras have Super SteadyShot in-camera image stabilization, which enables accessory lenses like the SAL70300G2 to eliminate the extra weight and expense of in-lens stabilization mechanisms.
Focus Hold: The lens has a Focus Hold button that suspends the auto focus function, and fixes the current focus for shooting.
Aperture: The 70-300mm G series lens features a 9-blade circular aperture which provides beautiful, more rounded defocusing elements, or bokeh.
Lens Hood: The lens includes the SLC-SH140 lens hood to reduce flare and ensure maximum image quality. When not in use, the lens hood can be inverted and stored on the lens backwards. If using the camera's built-in flash, you will need to remove the lens hood to prevent blockage of the flash light. The lens hood adds approximately 3-3/4" to the total length of the lens when the lens hood is mounted.
- Focal Length: 70-300mm
- Equivalent 35mm-format focal length: 105-450mm
- Lens Construction: 16 elements in 11 groups (including 1 ED glass element)
- Angle of View: 34°-8°10' (Full Frame); 23°-5°20' (APS-C)
- Minimum Focus: 47.25"
- Maximum Magnification: 0.25x
- Maximum f-stop: f/4.5-5.6
- Minimum f-stop: f/22-29
- Filter Diameter: 62mm
- Dimensions: Diameter: 3.254", Length: 5.542" (6.111" with caps)
- Weight: 26.9 ounces
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.
Frequently Compared With
Sony 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 G SSM II
Telephoto zoom lens for Sony A-mount DSLR cameras$1,149.99
Nikon AF-S Micro Nikkor 60mm f/2.8G ED
Macro lens for compatible Nikon digital SLR cameras
Canon EF 16-35mm f/4L IS USM
L Series wide-angle zoom lens for Canon EOS SLR cameras
Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L
L series super telephoto prime lens for Canon EOS SLR cameras