Why Choose Crutchfield?
Great gear and expert advice
Our experts help you pick the ideal gear for your needs.Meet our advisors
Free tech support for the life of your gear.Read about our one-on-one expert help
You may return items that are complete and like new for any reason within 60 days.See the details of our return policy
Earn one point for every dollar you spend and use those points to save on future purchases.Get full details on Crutchfield Rewards
Deep discounts on car installation gear
We offer vehicle-specific installation instructions, dash kits, wiring harnesses, and speaker accessories at deeply discounted prices with car stereo and speaker purchases. Available for most vehicles.Learn more
Trusted since 1974
Our customers have trusted us with their business, and they’ve helped us win awards for our service.Check out our most recent awards
The manufacturer’s warranty always applies.See more details
900 MHz wireless headphones
Item # 158MDRF970 | MFR # MDRRF970RK
This item is no longer available.
Our take on the Sony MDR-RF970RK by Crutchfield's Ralph Graves
Enjoy great sound from your audio/video system from just about any room in your home with the Sony MDR-RF970RK wireless headphones. The included headset storage cradle has a built-in wireless transmitter with a range of 150 feet. The system automatically tunes itself to the clearest channel to minimize interference as you move around.
High-quality 40mm drivers with neodymium magnets deliver clean, detailed sound with rich bass. And the headset's soft padding lets you listen comfortably for long periods of time. The provided rechargeable battery pack gives you up to 14 hours of operation, and it automatically refreshes its charge when the headset's placed on the storage cradle. You can also power the headset with two "AAA" batteries (not included).
With hearig loss enables me to listen to TV dramas.
Ken B, Wichita,KS
What's in the Box:
- 900 MHz RF wireless headphones
- TMR-RF970R RF stereo transmitter
- AC-S1202S AC power adapter with attached 6' cord (12V DC/200mA)
- Rechargeable nickel-metal hydride battery pack (2.4V/550mAh)
- 42" Audio connecting cord (has left and right RCA audio connectors on one end and a minijack stereo connector on the other end)
- 1/4" Headphone plug adapter
- Operating Instructions (English/French/Spanish)
- US Warranty sheet
- Canadian warranty card
- self-adjusting double headband with built-in auto power on/off sensor
- over-the-ear, open earcup design
- 900 MHz RF (radio frequency) wireless transmission
- 40mm drivers with Neodymium magnets
- automatic tuning
- rotary volume control
- switchable noise filter for use when connecting to a TV
- selectable 3-channel transmission
- listening range: up to 150 feet
- up to 14 hours operation using the supplied NiMH rechargeable battery pack; up to 22 hours with two "AAA" batteries (not included)
- transmitter/storage stand charges the headset's included batteries
- AC adapter
- headset weight: 10.59 oz.
- transmitter dimensions: 8-7/16"W x 4-1/16"H x 4-15/16"D
- warranty: 1 year parts, 90 days labor
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
Sony MDR-RF970RK Reviews
Average Customer Review(s):
Thanks for submitting your review
Features and Specs
|Earcup Width x Height|
|Mic For Taking Calls||No|
|Frequency Response||10-20,000 Hz|
|1/4-inch Adapter Included||Yes|
|Parts Warranty||1 Year|
|Labor Warranty||90 Days|
Transmitter: The system comes with an RF transmitter that connects to an audio source via a mini-jack or left and right RCA audio jacks. The system also comes supplied with a 1/4" headphone adapter. The transmitter sends a 900 MHz signal to the headset, using one of three selectable transmission channels. The transmitter has an automatic On/Off function. The transmitter switches on and begins transmitting when it detects an audio signal, and will switch off if it detects no audio signal for 10 minutes. The transmitter also functions as a storage stand/charger for the headset when not in use.
Headset: The ear cups fit comfortably over your ears with a closed circumaural design that follows the ear's natural shape. The double headband's self-adjusting mechanism conforms to the curve of your head for a comfortable fit. The right ear cup has the volume dial and auto-tuning button, while the left ear cup houses the supplied rechargeable batteries. The headset has contacts that allow the installed battery pack to be recharged when the headset is placed on the transmitter.
Auto Power On/Off: The headset has a self-adjusting double headband with a built-in auto power on/off sensor. The headset automatically turns on when pressure is detected on the headband and turns off when no pressure is present.
Auto Tuning: The wireless headphone's Auto Tuning feature scans up and down the transmitter's 3-channel RF band to automatically tune in the clearest channel for the best reception of your audio signal.
Noise Reduction Technology: The MDR-RF970RK headphones provides enhanced clarity and sound with minimal transmission noise due to its built-in noise reduction technology.
Induction Charging: The transmitter charges the wireless headset through induction charging which requires no direct pin contact making connection simple.
NiMH Rechargeable Batteries: Power for the headset is provided by a rechargeable NiMH battery pack, giving you approximately 14 hours of use when fully charged. The supplied battery pack will need to be charged for 16 hours before initial use.
Note: The headset can use the supplied rechargeable battery pack, or commercially available AAA alkaline batteries. The headset is not compatible with any other model of rechargeable batteries.
Range: Depending on conditions, the headset has a maximum range of 150 feet.
Back Panel of Transmitter:
- Channel Switch: allows you to select transmission channel 1, 2, or 3
- Volume Control Dial: allows you to adjust the volume of the headset
- Tuning Button: allows you to auto-tune the headset for the clearest reception
Back Panel of Transmitter:
- Input A: left and right RCA audio jacks
- Input B: stereo 3.5mm mini-jack
- DC Input: for use with supplied AC adapter
- Carrier Frequency (3-Channel): 915.5 MHz, 916.0 MHz, 916.5 MHz
- Modulation: FM stereo
- Frequency Response: 10-20,000 Hz
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.