Why Choose Crutchfield?
Great gear and expert advice
Our experts help you pick the ideal gear for your needs.Meet our advisors
Free tech support for the life of your gear.Read about our one-on-one expert help
You may return items that are complete and like new for any reason within 60 days.See the details of our return policy
Earn one point for every dollar you spend and use those points to save on future purchases.Get full details on Crutchfield Rewards
Deep discounts on car installation gear
We offer vehicle-specific installation instructions, dash kits, wiring harnesses, and speaker accessories at deeply discounted prices with car stereo and speaker purchases. Available for most vehicles.Learn more
Trusted since 1974
Our customers have trusted us with their business, and they’ve helped us win awards for our service.Check out our most recent awards
The manufacturer’s warranty always applies.See more details
DVD/CD player with digital video output and upconversion
Item # 158NS75H | MFR # DVPNS75H
This item is no longer available.
Our take on the Sony DVP-NS75H by Crutchfield's Amanda P.
Experience clear, detailed DVD playback with Sony's DVP-NS75H. This capable player can upconvert DVD video signals to better match your HDTV's high-resolution display. An HDMI digital video output sends the upconverted images to compatible TVs and ensures the cleanest possible transfer. Plus, the 'NS75H also has conventional analog video connections for TVs that don't have a digital video input, so you can enjoy a great DVD picture on just about any television.
This compact player does a nice job with your music discs, too. Listen to audio CDs or home-burned MP3 mix discs. Optical and coaxial digital audio outputs let you hook up this player to a home theater audio system and enjoy enveloping surround sound from your favorite movies.
What a difference!!! The picture clarity, and the 5.1 seperation is wonderful! " Scares my girlfriend." he he he ...
Its just the begining of my HD changeover.
Dale, Baird, TX
What's in the Box:
- Single-disc DVD/CD player
- RMT-D175A Wireless remote control
- 2 "AA" batteries
- 45" Audio/Video cord (has left and right RCA audio connectors and an RCA composite video connector on each end)
- Operating Instructions
- Warranty sheet
- Product Registration sheet
- digital video upconversion
- selectable 720p/1080i output via HDMI digital interface (separate adapter available for TVs with DVI input)
- selectable progressive-scan mode for smoother video with HD-compatible TVs (via the component video output)
- HDMI version 1.1
- optical and coaxial digital outputs for Dolby® Digital/DTS®/PCM
- 1 set of audio/video outputs (composite, S-video, 480i/480p component video, and HDMI)
- plays DVD-Video discs, DVD-Rs & DVD-RWs, and DVD+Rs & DVD+RWs
- plays CDs, CD-Rs & CD-RWs, and MP3 CDs
- plays digital picture CDs (JPEG)
- remote control (multibrand for TVs)
- 108MHz/12-bit video DAC
- 192kHz/24-bit audio DAC
- 17"W x 1-3/4"H x 10-7/16"D
- warranty: 1 year parts, 90 days labor
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- designed for use with "Region 1" coded DVDs
Sony DVP-NS75H Reviews
Average Customer Review(s):
Thanks for submitting your review
Features and Specs
|Number of Discs||1|
|Parts Warranty||1 Year|
|Labor Warranty||90 Days|
|Composite Video Outputs||1|
|Component Video Outputs||1|
Video Upconversion: The DVP-NS75H has the ability to upconvert a standard DVD signal to HD-compatible 720p or 1080i and pass it through the HDMI output; upconverted signals are not passed by the component video output.
Precision Drive 3 System: Providing an improved mechanism for reading DVD discs that are in less than perfect condition, Precision Drive 3 improves over previous Precision Drive versions to further eliminate errors in playback due to imperfect, scratched or warped DVD discs.
Video D/A Converter: This player uses a 108MHz/12-bit video digital-to-analog converter. This high-bit, high sampling D/A converter helps to reduce digital artifacts to give you a better picture.
Audio D/A Converter: This player features a 192kHz/24-bit audio digital-to-analog converter.
Digital Audio Output Capabilities: You can select the sampling frequency and word length of the audio signal to be output via the digital outputs. You can select 48kHz/16-bit or 96kHz/24-bit. When set to 48kHz/16-bit, the audio signals are always converted to 48kHz/16-bit. When set to 96kHz/24-bit, all types of signals, including 96kHz/24-bit, are output in their original format. However, if the signal is encrypted for copyright protection purposes, the signal is only output as 48kHz/16-bit.
Precision Cinema Progressive: While other DVD players detect image changes at the scan line level, Sony's Precision Cinema Progressive (PCP) system detects them at the pixel level. The picture is more faithful to the source, whether film or video, because separate optimized algorithms are used to process the moving and still parts of an image, resulting in sharp backgrounds with moving object that are virtually free from motion artifacts.
Progressive Scan Output: Progressive-scan video has less flicker and fewer motion artifacts than the traditional interlaced-scanning method, resulting in a superior picture. To take advantage of this feature, you must have a television with component video inputs that supports the progressive scanning mode. This unit allows you to choose Interlace mode or one of the following Progressive modes:
- Progressive Video: optimizes output for video-based software
- Progressive Auto: When this setting is chosen, the unit will automatically detect if you are playing video-based or film-based software and convert the signal using the appropriate setting.
MP3 Playback: This unit will play MP3 files recorded onto CD-ROM, CD-R and CD-RW discs using the ISO 9660 level 1/level 2, or Joliet formats. This unit will also play MP3 files recorded onto DVD-ROM, DVD-R, DVD-RW, DVD+R, and DVD+RW discs using the Universal Disk Format (UDF). Each disc can have a maximum of 200 albums.
JPEG Disc Playback: This unit will play JPEG files recorded onto CD-ROM, CD-R and CD-RW discs using the ISO 9660 level 1/level 2, or Joliet formats. This unit will also play JPEG files recorded onto DVD-ROM, DVD-R, DVD-RW, DVD+R, and DVD+RW discs using the Universal Disk Format (UDF). JPEG files up to 3072 x 2048 in Normal mode, and Progressive JPEGs with up to 3.3 million dots are supported. The following functions are available during JPEG disc playback: slideshow (with or without audio), zoom (2x, 4x), and image rotation, which allows you to rotate the current image 90-degrees counterclockwise.
Slideshow Playback: The DVP-NS75H lets you display images in a slideshow with or without sound. If you want to play a slideshow with sound, you'll need to place the JPEG files and MP3 files in the same folder. During a slideshow, you can adjust the amount of time each image is displayed. You can choose one of the following duration settings: Normal (6 to 9 seconds), Fast (shorter than Normal), Slow 1 (longer than Normal), or Slow 2 (longer than Slow 1). In addition, you can select one of the following effects to be used when viewing a slideshow:
- Mode 1: image sweeps in from top to bottom
- Mode 2: image sweeps in from left to right
- Mode 3: image stretches out from the center of the screen
- Mode 4: images randomly cycle through the effects
- Mode 5: next image slides over the previous image
Custom Picture Mode: You can choose from the following Custom Picture Mode settings:
- Standard: displays a standard picture
- Dynamic 1: produces a bold dynamic picture by increasing the picture contrast and the color intensity
- Dynamic 2: produces a more dynamic picture than Dynamic 1 by further increasing the picture contrast and the color intensity
- Cinema 1: enhances details in dark areas by increasing the black level
- Cinema 2: white colors become brighter and black colors become richer, and the color contrast is increased
- Memory: lets you adjust each element of the picture in greater detail: picture (contrast), brightness, color, hue
Sharpness: This function sharpens the outlines of images on the TV screen. You can select one of two levels of sharpness.
TV Virtual Surround (TVS): TV Virtual Surround generates a convincing surround sound effect using only two stereo speakers, with a stereo receiver or directly out of the television speakers. You can turn this feature Off or you can select one of the following settings:
- TVS Dynamic Theater: uses sound imaging to create a large set of virtual rear speakers and a virtual subwoofer. This mode is effective when using speakers that are close together, such as on a television.
- TVS Dynamic: uses sound imaging to create a single set of virtual rear speakers. This mode is effective when using speakers that are close together, such as on a television.
- TVS Wide: uses sound imaging to create multiple virtual rear speakers. This mode is effective when using speakers that are close together, such as on a television.
- TVS Night: large sounds, such as explosions, are suppressed, but the quieter sounds are unaffected
- TVS Standard: uses sound imaging to create multiple virtual rear speakers. This mode is effective when using separate front speakers that are far apart.
Picture Navigation: You can divide the screen into 9 subscreens and find the desired scene quickly. You can view DVD video chapters or titles, or Video CD/Super VCD tracks in this manner.
Instant Replay/Instant Advance: The Instant Replay function is useful when you want to review a scene or dialogue that you missed. With a single press of the Instant Replay button, the player will go back 10 seconds and begin playing again. Likewise, the Instant Advance function is useful when you want to pass over a scene that you don't want to watch.
Parental Control: This unit allows you to set two kinds of playback restrictions for DVDs using Parental Control and Custom Parental Control. Parental Control allows you to restrict playback according to a predetermined level. You can select a parental control rating from 0-8, which is protected by a 4-digit password. Using the same registered password, Custom Parental Control allows you to set playback restrictions for a specific disc. You can set the same Custom Parental Control password for up to 40 discs.
Display Dimmer: The display illumination can be set to Bright, Dark or Auto Dark, which makes the display dark if you do not operate the player or remote for a short while.
Child Lock: You can lock the disc tray to prevent a child from opening it.
- TV Type: Selects the aspect ratio of the connected TV: 4:3 Letter box, 4:3 Pan scan, or 16:9.
- HDMI Resolution: You can choose one of the following HDMI resolutions: 1920 x 1080i, 1280 x 720p, or 720 x 480p.
- Screen Saver: The screen saver image appears when you leave the player in pause or stop mode for 15 minutes, or when you play back a CD or MP3 disc for more than 15 minutes. The screen saver can be turned On or Off.
- Background: You can select the background color in stop mode, or while playing a CD or an MP3 disc. You can choose Jacket Picture (shows the DVD jacket picture if supported by the DVD), Graphics (shows a preset graphic), Blue (background color is blue), or Black (background color is black).
- Black Level: You can set the black level for the video signals output from the composite and S-Video jacks.
- Black Level (Component Out): You can separately set the black level for the video signal output from the component video jacks. This function is not available when the player outputs a progressive scan signal.
- 4:3 Output: When TV type is set to 16:9, you can set the 4:3 output to Full or Normal when watching 480p signals broadcast in a 4:3 aspect ratio.
- Auto Power Off: When this feature is turned on, the player enters standby mode after being left in stop mode for more than 30 minutes.
- Auto Play: This functions is useful when the player is connected to a timer (not included). When Auto Play is turned on, playback automatically starts when the unit is turned on.
- Pause Mode: You can select from Auto (no jitter) or Frame (high resolution) for the type of picture output in pause mode.
- Track Selection (DVD only): You can select Auto or Off. When Auto is selected, priority is given to the digital audio track with the largest number of channels.
- Multi-disc Resume: The player stores the point where you stopped the disc for up to 6 discs and resumes playback from the stored location the next time you insert the same disc. This feature can only be used with DVDs and Video CDs. You must set the Multi-Disc resume feature to "on" in the custom setup menu.
Multibrand Remote: The supplied remote is pre-programmed to operate this unit and a number of functions on certain brands of televisions.
HDMI (High Definition Multimedia Interface): The unit's HDMI simplifies A/V connections by carrying video and digital audio all in one cable. This unit features HDCP copyright protection technology, and must be connected to an HDCP-compliant device. If your TV has a DVI input instead of an HDMI input, you can connect this unit to your TV using an HDMI-to-DVI adapter. You will also need to connect audio cables to the player because DVI is a video only interface.
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.