Why Choose Crutchfield?
Great gear and expert advice
Our experts help you pick the ideal gear for your needs.Meet our advisors
Free tech support for the life of your gear.Read about our one-on-one expert help
You may return items that are complete and like new for any reason within 60 days.See the details of our return policy
Earn one point for every dollar you spend and use those points to save on future purchases.Get full details on Crutchfield Rewards
Deep discounts on car installation gear
We offer vehicle-specific installation instructions, dash kits, wiring harnesses, and speaker accessories at deeply discounted prices with car stereo and speaker purchases. Available for most vehicles.Learn more
Trusted since 1974
Our customers have trusted us with their business, and they’ve helped us win awards for our service.Check out our most recent awards
The manufacturer’s warranty always applies.See more details
Sony Cyber-shot® DSC-QX10
Smartphone-attachable lens-style camera with 10X zoom lens (Black)
From Sony: Cybershot QX
Item # 158QX10 | MFR # DSCQX10
This item is no longer available.
Our take on the Sony Cyber-shot® DSC-QX10 by Crutchfield's Woody Sherman
The Sony 'QX10 lens-type camera in action (smartphone not included)
Ever miss a photo opportunity with your smartphone?
Smartphones have revolutionized photography, and made the exchange of images a whole new form of language these days. But picture this scenario: it's dusk by a lake, and you're on family vacation. You exit the house just as your son, at the shore, feels a tug on his fishing pole. You pull out your phone and... oh, forget it, it's too dim and you're too far away.
Or, there's this: You touch your new Cyber-shot® DSC-QX10 lens camera to your NFC-enabled smartphone and pull both up to your eye-line so you can zoom in with a bright, sharp, image-stabilized lens. In seconds, you've captured the thrill on his face and the result is almost instantly available on your smartphone for upload or emailing to the grandparents. The difference between owning just a smartphone and owning the 'QX10 and a smartphone is capturing this classic moment and untold others.
It's a self-contained camera — without the bulk
The 'QX10 is equipped with clip-on extensions so you can fasten it directly to your smartphone — or, once wirelessly connected, the camera and your phone can be separated by a few feet. It has a 10X zoom, so you'll be able to get in nice and close on your subject. The built-in sensor has a detailed 18 megapixels, so that subject will be crisp and clear. There's a slot for a memory card, so you can store full-size pictures redundantly with your phone. Everything you missed from your smartphone camera is available now from a self-contained camera that can clip on to your belt for easy storage.
It shoots crisp, smooth video as well, and even has a built-in microphone and tripod screw thread so your next production will be rock-stable and easy to hear.
What's in the Box:
- Lens-style digital camera (black)
- Smartphone attachment (black)
- NP-BN Lithium-Ion rechargeable battery (3.6V 630mAh 2.3Wh)
- 27" USB cable (Type A USB on one end and microUSB on other end)
- Wrist strap
- Quick Start Guide (English)
- Quick Start Guide (French)
- Reference Guide
- Warranty sheet
- Product Registration promo sheet (English)
- Product Registration promo sheet (French)
- Wrist Strap recommendation
- 18.2-megapixel effective recording
- 10X optical zoom (20X with Clear Image interpolation)
- records photos and video onto optional Micro SD and SDHC memory cards, and Memory Stick® Micro media
- delivers 1440 x 1080/30p HD video in web-friendly MP4 format
- 35mm equivalent lens focal length: 27.5-275mm (16:9 still mode)
- NFC/Wi-Fi® allows one-touch connection with smartphone
- control and monitor your camera via Sony PlayMemories camera apps
- light-sensitive Sony G lens provides impressive low light performance
- Optical SteadyShot® image stabilization with Active mode for blur-free movies, even while walking
- intelligent auto (iAuto) mode chooses perfect scene mode for your shooting situation
- advanced "Exmor R" CMOS sensor for sharp photos even in low light
- face detection controls focus and exposure for accurate portraits
Connections and Dimensions:
- high-speed USB interface (also charges via USB)
- 2-9/16"W x 2-7/16"H x 1-5/16"D
- weight (with battery): 3.7 oz.
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- rechargeable lithium ion battery (NP-BN14)
- AC adapter
- micro USB cable
- wrist strap
- smartphone attachment/belt clip
Sony Cyber-shot® DSC-QX10 Reviews
Average Customer Review(s):
Thanks for submitting your review
Features and Specs
|LCD Screen Size||Smartphone|
|Lens 35mm Equivalent||27.5 - 275mm|
|Sensor Size||1/2.3" CMOS|
|Highest Resolution||4896 x 3672|
|Video Resolution||1440 x 1080|
|Weight With Battery (ounces)||3.7|
|Parts Warranty||1 Year|
|Labor Warranty||1 Year|
Overview: The Sony Cyber-shot DSC-QX10 is a unique lens-style camera that attaches right to your smartphone. It has a high quality Sony G lens with 10x optical zoom, and can take still images up to 18MP and High Definition videos. Images can be stored on an inserted memory card, or the smartphone's memory, or both. The QX10 is less than 2-1/2" in diameter and approximately 1-1/4" thick (1-5/8" with the smartphone attachment), and can be easily carried in a pocket or purse.
Image Sensor: The QX10 is equipped with a back-illuminated, 1/2.3" Exmor R CMOS image sensor with 18.9M total pixels and 18.2M effective pixels. Coupled with the BIONZ image processor, the QX10 can produce much higher quality photos than smartphone cameras, even in low light.
Lens: The Sony G-type F3.3-5.9, 10x optical zoom lens has a 35mm equivalent focal length of 27.5-275mm for 16:9 still images and movies (25-250mm for 4:3 still images and 33.5-335mm for 4:3 movies). The QX10 offers Auto Focusing only, and offers One-touch AF focusing if the subject is not in the center of the frame. The focus range is 1.92"-infinity in wide angle, and 59"-infinity in telephoto.
Optical Steady Shot: The camera is equipped with Optical SteadyShot to help prevent blurring due to camera shake. Optical SteadyShot is most effective when shooting in low light situations, or when zoomed in. It is available for both still image and movie recording.
Still Image Recording: The DSC-QX10 can record JPEG still images in two sizes and two aspect ratios:
- 4:3 Aspect Ratio: Large 18M (4896 x 3672), Small 5M (2592 x 1944)
- 16:9 Aspect Ratio: Large 13M (4896 x 2752), Small 2M (1920 x 1080)
Movie Recording: You can record high quality HD video in MP4 format with MPEG-4 AVC/H.264 video and 2-channel AAC audio recorded by the built-in microphone. Movies are recorded in 4:3 aspect ratio (1440 x 1080) at 30 fps.
Smartphone Attachment: The QX10 has no viewfinder or LCD monitor of its own, but instead, uses your smartphone's large LCD screen for composing and viewing your photos. The included smartphone attachment lets you clamp the camera onto your smartphone. The camera can be operated while attached to, or separate from, the smartphone. A standard 1/4" thread is provided for tripod mounting, if desired.
Wi-Fi/NFC: No cables are required to connect the camera to your smartphone. Through the use of the free Sony PlayMemories Mobile app, you can wirelessly connect via Wi-Fi. The QX10 also allows One-touch connection with compatible smartphones via NFC (near-field communication).
Smartphone Compatibility: The PlayMemories Mobile app is compatible with both Android and iOS devices:
- Android: PlayMemories Mobile is available from Google Play for Android OS v2.3-4.2. Android 4.0 or later is required to use One-touch functions (NFC).
- iOS: PlayMemories Mobile is available from the App Store for iOs v4.3-6.0.
Image Storage: The QX10 has a memory card slot that will accept microSD or Memory Stick Micro (M2). You can not record movies without a memory card inserted. Still images can be saved to the memory card or wirelessly transferred to your smartphone's memory, or both. The image saved to the smartphone can be the original recorded size, or reduced to 2M. Approximately 1200 still images or 1 hour 20 minutes of movie footage can be stored on an 8 GB memory card.
Camera Control: Through the PlayMemories Mobile app, you can control many functions of the camera. Not only can you activate the shutter release, you can zoom in and out, change shooting modes, choose the still image size or activate the 2-second or 10-second self timer.
Exposure Modes: You can choose from the following Exposure Modes:
- Intelligent Auto: Shoots still images with the settings adjusted automatically. The camera automatically recognizes the shooting scene and conditions, and makes the appropriate settings. Scenes that the camera can recognize include Portrait, Infant, Night Portrait, Night Scene, Backlight Portrait, Backlight, Landscape, Macro, Low Light, or Spotlight. The camera can also recognize if the camera is set on a tripod or moving.
- Superior Auto: Shoots still images in higher quality than with Intelligent Auto. Superior Auto can also recognize if the camera is moving in bright or dark surroundings, and will make exposure settings accordingly. This mode takes longer to record because the camera overlays images to create a high-quality image with less subject blur and noise.
- Program Auto: Shoots with the exposure adjusted automatically--both aperture and shutter speed settings. You can adjust the EV value and white balance in the Settings Menu.
White Balance and EV: When shooting in Program Auto, you can adjust the White Balance and Exposure Value. White Balance settings make the colors appear natural, and include Auto, Daylight, Shade, Cloudy, Incandescent, Fluorescent (warm white, cool white, day white, daylight), and Color Temperature. Exposure Value can compensate for over- or under-exposed photos, overriding the camera's metering results. You can adjust the EV manually in a range of -2.0 EV to +2.0 EV in 1/3 EV intervals.
Transferring Images: Images and movies stored in the camera's memory card can be transferred to your smartphone and/or computer:
- Smartphone: Images can be transferred wirelessly via Wi-Fi from the camera to the smartphone. Using your smartphone to view your image files, and select the image(s) you want to copy. You can copy them in their original size or change the size, if desired.
- Computer: Using the included micro USB cable, you can transfer images from the camera's memory card to your computer (Mass Storage mode). You can also transfer the images wirelessly through the downloadable PlayMemories Home image management software. If connected in Mass Storage mode, you cannot connect via Wi-Fi.
Power Requirements: The DSC-QX10 is powered by the supplied NP-BN Lithium-Ion rechargeable battery (3.6V / 630mAh / 2.3Wh). The battery charges in approximately 115 minutes using the supplied micro USB cable. You can also charge the battery using the optional AC-UD10 or AC-UD11 AC Adapter.
|110 minutes or 220 images||25 minutes (typical)
65 minutes (continuous)
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.
1 question already asked
For some products we may have Scratch & Dent or Open Box stock - however, we do not have those stocks on all the products we carry. Scratch & Dent items are open-box items that have minor cosmetic damage.They may be missing non-essential accessories. In some cases the manufacturer's accessories have been replaced with generic equivalents. The manufacturer's warranty applies. [ Jeff Nov 30, 2015 ] Staff