Why Choose Crutchfield?
Great gear and expert advice
Our experts help you pick the ideal gear for your needs.Meet our advisors
Free tech support for the life of your gear.Read about our one-on-one expert help
You may return items that are complete and like new for any reason within 60 days.See the details of our return policy
Earn one point for every dollar you spend and use those points to save on future purchases.Get full details on Crutchfield Rewards
Deep discounts on car installation gear
We offer vehicle-specific installation instructions, dash kits, wiring harnesses, and speaker accessories at deeply discounted prices with car stereo and speaker purchases. Available for most vehicles.Learn more
Trusted since 1974
Our customers have trusted us with their business, and they’ve helped us win awards for our service.Check out our most recent awards
The manufacturer’s warranty always applies.See more details
Powered speaker system for iPod®/iPhone®/iPad® with Apple AirPlay®
Crutchfield: Intro to Apple Airplay
From Sony: iPod Docking Tutorial
From Sony: RDP-XA700IP Powered Speaker System
Item # 158RDPX700 | MFR # RDPXA700IP
This item is no longer available.
Our take on the Sony RDP-XA700IP by Crutchfield's Ralph Graves
Apple AirPlay for wireless music
Yes, the Sony RDP-XA700IP has a built-in dock for your Apple portable, but you can enjoy music from your iTunes® library wirelessly, thanks to built-in Apple AirPlay technology. This speaker can wirelessly connect with any Wi-FiÂ®-enabled device that uses iTunes such as an iPod touch®, iPad, laptop, or iPhone.
Use your portable Apple device to choose songs and playlists, select the RDP-XA700IP and adjust ithe volume. Listen to songs from your iPod touch or watch a movie on your iPad while the soundtrack plays through the system.
Versatile dock for all Apple players
You can dock just about any Apple handheld device on the RDP-XA700IP. The system's dock provides stable support for iPhones and iPods, and larger iPads. It even accommodates players in protective cases. The system's velvety black cloth covering and stainless steel accents make a stylish home for your player.
Detailed sound and solid bass
The RDP-XA700IP may look compact, but it can deliver big, room-filling sound. Sophisticated Clear Phase circuitry helps reduce distortion and give your music presence. A pair of uniquely designed 1-15/16" damperless "Magnetic Fluid" speakers produce clean highs and full midrange. A forward-firing 3-5/8" woofer and two passive radiators crank out firm, full-sounding bass.
Free app gives you more control options
The system comes with its own remote for basic controls such as play, pause, power and track skip. But with Sony's D-Sappli app (available as free download from iTunes®), you can enjoy more options. Select from different preset EQ curves, or engage a customizable graphic equalizer to adjust the sound to your tastes. Or turn your docked player and RDP-XA700IP into a digital clock radio. The app gives you a choice of clock faces for your iPod touch, iPhone, or iPad and lets you program multiple alarms. You can also set sleep timers, as well as what music you want to awaken to.
- for docking iPods, iPhones, and iPads
- Apple AirPlay lets you stream music wirelessly from your iPod touch, iPhone, iPad, or computer
- two 1-15/16" speakers plus 3-5/8" woofer with two passive radiators
- 15 watts x 2 for speakers, plus 30 watts for woofer
- free D-Sappli app (available in iTunes®)
- selectable EQ
- select clock display for docked player
- set sleep/awake timer and multiple alarms
- stereo minijack input for connection to other portable music players (stereo minijack-to-stereo minijack cable included)
- automatically charges docked player
- AC power adapter
- 15- 3/4"W x 6-15/16"H x8-1/8"D
- weight: 6 lbs. 15 oz.
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
What's in the Box:
- iPod/iPhone speaker dock
- AC power adapter (with attached 67" DC cord)
- 5' AC power cord
- Remote control
- CR2025 3V lithium battery (installed in remote)
- Operating Instructions (En/Fr/Sp)
- AirPlay via WiFi Network Setup booklet (En/Fr/Sp)
- Warranty sheet (US/Can)
Personal Audio Docking System: The Sony RDP-XA700iP is a personal audio docking system for your iPod, iPhone, or iPad with a built-in Apple dock connector and AirPlay. Wrapped in a beautiful modern finish, featuring brushed stainless steel accents and a velvety cloth covering, this speaker dock adds a sophisticated look to your living space while delivering innovative Sony sound technologies for amazing audio. The built-in subwoofer and damperless speakers work in concert to provide a powerful performance of crisp, clear sound and robust bass. Designed to work with your iPod, iPhone, or iPad, you can charge your device while playing back music and videos without removing its case (no adaptors required).
Sony's Free D-Sappli App: By downloading Sony's D-Sappli app (free of charge), you can make the Sony RDP-XA700iP even more useful.
- D-Sappli automatically synchs date/time information from your iPod touch, iPhone, or iPad so you don't have to.
- Choose from 7 uniquely attractive clock display designs.
- D-Sappli can memorize up to 10 alarms with your choice of the time, dates, and alarm tones.
- Use its Music Play Timer functionality to set your music to automatically start and stop whenever you'd like.
- Fall asleep to your favorite nighttime playlist without the annoyance of
waking up to it the next morning by setting Sleep Timer to turn it off after
you've fallen asleep.
D-Sappli helps you manage preset stations by showing the preset list with editing the name, sorting orders, and changing the frequency on screen.
- D-Sappli lets you enjoy the music of your choice with several EQ
settings (Rock/Classic/Jazz/Pop/Dance), Off (Flat), or customizable graphic EQ
(120Hz, 330Hz, 1kHz, 3kHz, 9kHz).
Note: The D-Sappli app is compatible with the iPod touch, iPhone, and iPad; running iOS 3.1.3 or later.
S-Master Digital Amplification: The Sony RDP-XA700iP is equipped with a S-Master Digital Amplifier that offers high performance audio output.
- Power Rating: 15W x 15W x 30W (at no more than 10% THD)
- Frequency Response: 100-10,000Hz
DMC Technology: The RDP-XA700iP features Sony's DMC Technology; which stands for Dual Passive Radiators, Magnetic Fluid Speaker Units, and Clear Phase (DSP).
- Built-in Subwoofer w/ Dual Passive Radiators: The Sony RDP-XA700iP employs a built-in subwoofer (3.625") with dual passive radiators that create robust, room-filling sound with explosive bass response.
- Magnetic Fluid Speakers: Rather than using speakers with a conventional damper, the RDP-XA700iP two speaker units (1.9375") capitalize on a damperless magnetic fluid that deliver higher sound pressure with less distortion than traditional speakers.
- Clear Phase: Sony's unique Clear Phase linear phase correction circuitry ensures reduced distortion and increased sound presence, making your music crisp and clear.
AirPlay: The Sony RDP-XA700iP personal audio docking system is equipped with a rear-panel Ethernet (LAN) jack and supports Apple's AirPlay technology. With AirPlay you can stream music from your iTunes account to the Sony RDP-XA700iP. Simply connect the RDP-XA700iP to your home network via Ethernet and it instantly becomes the hub for playback of your iTunes music from your connected Apple device or networked computer. You can also download Apple's free "Remote" application so you can use your Apple device as the remote control.
Note: AirPlay supports PCs or MACs with iTunes 10.1 or later. AirPlay is compatible with the iPod touch, iPhone, and iPad with iOS 4.2 or later.
Apple Dock Connector: Built for iPod/iPhone/iPad, the RDP-XA700iP's dock connector enables music playback, remote control, battery charging, when your compatible Apple device is docked (no adaptors required). You can even dock your Apple device without removing your case. The dock connector is retractable, so it can be hidden when you disconnect your iPod, iPhone, or iPad. The Sony RDP-XA700iP is "Made for iPod/iPhone/iPad" compatible and supports the following iPod/iPhone/iPad model features (as of 3/28/2013):
|iPod/iPhone Model||Generation||Tested Version||Media Type||Control Type||Display Type||D-Sappli App||Charge|
|Audio||Video Output||Remote||iPod/iPhone||Song/Artist Text||Track Information|
| clickwheel |
- *The iPod nano (7th gen), iPod touch (5th gen), and iPhone 5 will require the Apple Lightning to 30-pin adapter or Lightning to 30-pin cable (both, sold separately) in order to dock with this system.
- Apple iPod/iPhone software updates may change functionality results. If you download a newer software version, you may need to reset the head unit and your iPod/iPhone to regain functionality. If this doesn't work, you may need to wait until a newer software update is available.
Auxiliary Input: The Sony RDP-XA700iP features a 3.5mm auxiliary input to connect almost any external, portable audio player that features a minijack audio output or headphone output.
IR Remote Control: The included IR remote control provides wireless control over the Sony RDP-XA700iP and your docked iPod, iPhone, or iPad. The remote provides Play/Pause, Skip track (next/previous), Fast Forward/Rewind, and advanced music navigation functions.
AC Power: The Sony RDP-XA700iP operates off of standard house hold AC current using the supplied AC power adapter and AC power cord.
- Input: 100-240V~1.3A, 50-60Hz
- Output: 19.5V - 3.9A
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.