Sony Cyber-shot® DSC-RX100 VI
20.1-megapixel compact camera with Wi-Fi® and Bluetooth®
Sony Cyber-shot® DSC-RX100 VI - The camera's 24-200mm zoom lenses can capture wide shots and close-ups
Our take on the Sony Cyber-shot® DSC-RX100 VI by Crutchfield's Deia Z.
Sony does it again
Sony's RX100 Series cameras pack a lot of imaging power into a compact, highly portable body. These little cameras have been a big deal in the world of photography enthusiasts since they first came out — in fact, the original RX100 is still highly regarded. The updated RX100 VI shares the same large 1" sensor and blazing-fast processor as its predecessors, but this latest update gets a new lens with more zoom versatility and a few next-level movie-recording features.
The compact Sony RX100 VI is great for snapping candid portraits on the fly.
The RX100 VI's Fast Hybrid autofocus system can lock onto your subject in as little as .03 seconds, and it can do an astonishing 24 frames per second of continuous shooting at full resolution. Powerful tracking performance gives you clear, sharp action photos and smooth videos at up to 4K resolution.
Outstanding 4K video quality
The RX100 VI records video in Full HD and 4K. When shooting 4K, the camera collects around 1.7 times as much information as required for basic 4K movie output. This "oversampling" results in outstanding resolution.
Videographers, this camera gives you S-Log3 and S-Log2 gamma curves to support color grading in post-production. And a new HLG profile means that movies played on an HDR/HLG compatible TV don't need color grading. A clean HDMI output sends uncompressed movie data to an external recorder or monitor. You can keep recording internally to the camera even when using this function.
Slow down time
The RX100 VI's zippy processing lets you take high-speed photos and slow-motion video. You can freeze objects in motion with electronic shutter speeds up to 1/32,000 seconds, or slow down time with 40X super-slow-motion HD video capability. You can capture fleeting moments like fireworks bursting in midair, or a butterfly flapping its wings, and watch the action unfold in ways you've never seen before.
The RX100 VI's 24-200mm zoom lens gives you a useful zoom range to work with. Specialized lens elements ensure high resolution images at any focal length. Large maximum apertures throughout the zoom range enable fast, blur-free shooting and lovely background defocusing. A lens-mounted control ring gives you added command over manual controls and lets you adjust different features and functions. Smooth, quiet operation lets you use the control ring while shooting video as well.
Add functionality with your phone
Sony's PlayMemories Mobile app lets you use your mobile device to control shooting and instantly transfer photos and videos shot on the RX100 VI to your phone or tablet for easy uploading and sharing.
NFC touch pairing is available for compatible Android™ devices, and new QR code compatibility lets you quickly pair devices without NFC. Location Information Link via Bluetooth lets you record location data with the correct date and time on still images.
- 20.1-megapixel effective recording
- bright f/2.8-4.5 24-200mm (35mm equivalent) ZEISS® Vario-Sonnar T* lens
- large 1" (13.2 x 8.8mm) Exmor RS® back-illuminated CMOS sensor for low noise and exceptional sensitivity
- BIONZ X™ image processor for high-resolution, low-noise photos and fast autofocus performance
- records photos and video onto optional SD, SDHC, and SDXC memory cards, and Memory Stick® PRO Duo media
- up to 24 frames per second continuous shooting at full resolution
- high-resolution 3" LCD screen (1.2 million dots) tilts 180 degrees upward or 90 degrees downward to allow for easy self-portrait framing and composition from difficult angles
- 2.4-million-dot pop-up OLED viewfinder
- 4K Ultra HD video recording
- uncompressed, clean HDMI output (cable not included) supports 4K and full HD
- supports HDR movie production with S-Log3 and S-Log2 gamma curves
- up to 40X super-slow-motion video recording
- shutter speed range: 30-1/2,000 seconds, bulb
- up to 1/32,000 seconds with electronic shutter; for clear fast-action photos and slow motion video
- variable ISO settings from ISO 125-12,800
- Wi-Fi lets you transfer photos and video to smartphones and tablets for easy sharing
- NFC touch pairing with compatible Android™ devices
- Location Information Link via Bluetooth allows the camera to record location information through the free PlayMemories Mobile app
- PlayMemories Camera Apps let you add new camera functions and capabilities
- manual control ring can be assigned to control different functions, including zoom, aperture value, and picture effects
- program auto, shutter-priority, aperture-priority, manual, and fully automatic exposure modes
- Optical SteadyShot® image stabilization minimizes image blur and camera shake
- face detection and subject tracking improve portraits and keep moving subjects in focus for sharper photos
- Fast Hybrid AF system for fast, precise autofocus
- 315 phase-detection AF points cover 65% of the frame; 25 contrast AF points
- High-density Tracking AF Technology concentrates AF points around a subject to improve tracking and focus accuracy
- 13 scene modes (including Macro, Night Portrait, Landscape and more) for accurately exposed images in different shooting environments
- AF-A mode automatically switches between single area and continuous autofocus modes in different shooting conditions
- Picture Effect modes like Soft Focus and Retro Photo let you add creative touches (13 still image effects, 7 movie effects)
- Sweep Panorama mode stitches images together to create expansive vistas
- digital level gauge helps you line your shots up evenly
- built-in flash
- includes NP-BX1/M8 battery, AC adapter, micro USB cable, and wrist strap
Connections and Dimensions:
- micro HDMI output (cable not included)
- high-speed micro USB interface
- 4"W x 2-3/8"H x 1-11/16"D
- weight (with battery and memory card): 10.7 oz.
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
Features and Specs
|LCD Screen Size||3"|
|Lens 35mm Equivalent||24-200mm|
Memory Stick PRO Duo + PRO-HG Duo |
|Image Stabilization||Optical + Digital|
|Highest Resolution||5472 x 3648|
|Video Resolution||3840 x 2160, 1920 x 1080|
|Weight With Battery (ounces)||10.7|
|Parts Warranty||1 Year|
|Labor Warranty||1 Year|
Frequently Compared With
Sony Cyber-shot® DSC-RX100 VI
20.1-megapixel compact camera with Wi-Fi® and Bluetooth®$1,199.99
Sony Cyber-shot® DSC-RX100 III
20.1-megapixel compact digital camera with Wi-Fi®
Sony Cybershot® DSC-RX100 V
20.1-megapixel compact camera with Wi-Fi®
Sony Cyber-shot® DSC-RX1R II
42.4-megapixel full-frame compact digital camera with Wi-Fi®