Why Choose Crutchfield?
Great gear and expert advice
Our experts help you pick the ideal gear for your needs.Meet our advisors
Free tech support for the life of your gear.Read about our one-on-one expert help
You may return items that are complete and like new for any reason within 60 days.See the details of our return policy
Earn one point for every dollar you spend and use those points to save on future purchases.Get full details on Crutchfield Rewards
Deep discounts on car installation gear
We offer vehicle-specific installation instructions, dash kits, wiring harnesses, and speaker accessories at deeply discounted prices with car stereo and speaker purchases. Available for most vehicles.Learn more
Trusted since 1974
Our customers have trusted us with their business, and they’ve helped us win awards for our service.Check out our most recent awards
The manufacturer’s warranty always applies.See more details
Item # 158SAWM40 | MFR # SA-WM40
This item is no longer available.
Our take on the Sony SA-WM40
Crank up the bass with Sony's affordable SA-WM40! Its potent 120-watt amp drives a 12" long-throw woofer to pump out deep, satisfying lows, and keep you on the edge of your seat with home theater thrills. The phase switch and crossover control let you easily match the subterranean sounds to your other speakers. An easy addition to any home theater or stereo system!
- 120-watt amp
- 12" long-throw woofer
- frequency response 20-170 Hz
- continuously variable 50-170 Hz low-pass crossover
- speaker-level inputs
- line-level input and output
- signal-sensing power on/off
- phase switch
- black vinyl finish
- 14-1/4"W x 16-7/8"H x 16-1/2"D
- warranty: 1 year
What's in the Box:
- 1 Black powered subwoofer
- 6.5' Mono RCA cable
- Two 8' lengths of speaker wire
- Operating Instructions
- Warranty sheet
- Important Safeguards
Features and Specs
|Woofer Size (inches)||12|
|Low-Pass Crossover Freq||50-170Hz|
|High-Pass Crossover Freq||None|
|Amplifier Output (watts)||120|
|Frequency Response||20-170 Hz|
|Speaker Parts Warranty||1 YEAR|
|Speaker Labor Warranty||1 YEAR|
|Amplifier Parts Warranty||---|
|Amplifier Labor Warranty||---|
Advanced SAW Design: Combining a specialized speaker for deep bass with a built-in amplifier to provide power, this component features Sony's patented subwoofer design. In addition, this Super Acoustically Loaded product provides bass all the way down to the lowest musical frequencies (20 Hz) from a compact cabinet.
Woofer: The SA-WM40 has a 12" long-throw woofer for deep, accurate bass.
Amplifier: The 12" long-throw woofer is powered by a 120-watt amplifier.
Surround: For a smoother response and improved durability, the woofer uses a rubber surround.
Bass Port: There is a rear-firing bass port for improved bass response.
Auto Power On/Off: This feature turns the amplifier on when a signal is sensed and turns the amplifier off if no signal is received for a period of seven minutes.
- Power Button: Turns the subwoofer amplifier on or off.
- Level Control: Rotary subwoofer level control.
- Cut Off Frequency: Variable low-pass crossover adjustable from 50-170Hz.
- Phase Switch: Allows you to select normal or reverse for best bass.
- Power Save Switch: Allows you to select Auto or Off. In the Auto position, the Auto Power On/Off feature is engaged. In the Off position, the Auto Power On/Off feature is disengaged.
- Line In/Line Out: RCA pre-amp level input and output
- Speaker-Level Input/Speaker-Level Output: Spring clips for speaker-level input and output
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.