Why Choose Crutchfield?
Great gear and expert advice
Our experts help you pick the ideal gear for your needs.Meet our advisors
Free tech support for the life of your gear.Read about our one-on-one expert help
You may return items that are complete and like new for any reason within 60 days.See the details of our return policy
Earn one point for every dollar you spend and use those points to save on future purchases.Get full details on Crutchfield Rewards
Deep discounts on car installation gear
We offer vehicle-specific installation instructions, dash kits, wiring harnesses, and speaker accessories at deeply discounted prices with car stereo and speaker purchases. Available for most vehicles.Learn more
Trusted since 1974
Our customers have trusted us with their business, and they’ve helped us win awards for our service.Check out our most recent awards
The manufacturer’s warranty always applies.See more details
Sony ES SCD-C333ES
5-disc SACD/CD changer
Item #: 158SCDC333
This item is no longer available.
Sony ES SCD-C333ES
Our take on the Sony ES SCD-C333ES
The response of reviewers and audiophiles to Super Audio CD (SACD) has been unanimous: SACD raises digital audio sound quality to heights beyond standard CD!
Now Sony makes SACD both more affordable and more convenient with the world's first SACD-capable 5-disc changer. Load any combination of SACDs and standard CDs (up to five) and hear what cutting-edge electronics and impeccable Sony ES construction can do for your digital music discs both old and new.
SACD employs Direct Stream Digital audio encoding, which samples music at 2.8 million times per second (sampling for standard CDs is a little over 44 thousand times per second). SACD's exceptional detail, dynamic range, imaging, and rich sonic textures result from its ultra-high frequency response (out to 50,000 Hz to faithfully reproduce high harmonics and room interactions that were present when the music was performed). The result is far smoother, more "analog" sound than 44.1k PCM could ever deliver.
- 5-disc changer
- plays stereo SACDs, standard CDs, audio CD-Rs, and audio CD-RWs
- change 4 discs while the 5th keeps playing
- plays stereo SACDs, CDs, and audio CD-Rs
- 1 lens/2 laser optical pickup
- Current Pulse D/A converter
- Accurate Complementary Pulse Density Modulation (ACP) system
- 24-bit variable-coefficient digital filter for CD
- dual R-Core power transformers
- rugged dual-layer chassis construction
- analog outputs for SACD/CD; optical and coaxial digital outputs for CD
- SACD/CD Text
- random/repeat play
- headphone jack with volume control
- aluminum front panel
- remote control
- SACD frequency response (-3dB) 2-50,000 Hz
- 17"W x 5-7/16"H x 17-3/8"D
- warranty: 5 years
What's in the Box:
- 5-Disc Super Audio CD/CD changer
- RM-SC300 Wireless remote
- 2 "AA" batteries
- 39" RCA stereo patch cord
- 39" Control A1 cord (mono mini-jack to mono min-jack)
- Operating Instructions (English/French)
- Control A1II Control System Operating Instructions (English)
- Control A1II Control System Operating Instructions (multilingual)
- American Warranty card
- Canadian Warranty card
- Manual Correction sheet
- Note on Control A1 cord
Features and Specs
|CD Transport Only||No|
|Direct Track Access||Yes|
|Direct Disc Access||Yes|
|Multiple CD Player Control||No|
|Parts Warranty||5 YEARS|
|Labor Warranty||5 YEARS|
|CD Frequency Response||2-50k SACD Hz|
|Signal to Noise Ratio||Not Given|
|SACD Frequency Response||---|
|SACD Dynamic Range||---|
|Digital Optical Output||1|
|Digital Coaxial Output||1|
This unit can play the following discs:
- Conventional CDs
- Super Audio CD (Single layer disc): These can hold up to 74 minutes of music and are playable ONLY on an SACD compatible unit such as this.
- Super Audio CD (Dual layer disc): These discs hold dual layers of high density information for longer playing times (one side only, so the disc does not have to be turned). These discs are playable ONLY on an SACD compatible unit such as this.
- Super Audio CD + CD (Hybrid disc): These discs have a high density SACD layer and a CD layer, allowing them to be played either on an SACD compatible unit OR on a regular CD player which can read the CD layer.
Direct Stream Digital (DSD) encoding: Unlike PCM based technology (CD/MiniDisc/DVD/Audio DVD, etc.), Super Audio CD is based on DSD encoding which does not require decimation and interpolation filters. DSD is much simpler and enables a 1-bit signal to be recorded directly. DSD encodes music at 2,822,400 samples per second allowing you to hear sound with incredible ease and clarity. DSD combines the advantages of digital recording with the best characteristics of analog sound.
24-bit Variable Coefficient digital filter: For CD playback, handles 64 times as many steps as previous Sony digital filters. You can select five distinct settings to match your listening environment and music source. The five settings are Standard (Steepest possible roll off above 20k with greatest suppression of ultrasonic noise); Clear; Plain; Fine and Silky.
Current Pulse D/A Converter: For both SACD and CD, the Current Pulse D/A converter provides extremely accurate conversion from 1-bit digital to analog.
SACD and CD Text Compatible: This unit has a display which will display the disc name, artist name, and current track name (15 characters will appear at once, after which the display will scroll) with compatible CDs with CD Text and SACDs (most of which will have text).
SACD/CD Switching: The unit automatically determines the format of an SACD or CD disc. However, an SACD/CD switch on both the remote and the unit allows you to select the format for slightly quicker loading times or, in the case of a hybrid SACD/CD disc, to select the CD layer.
Display: You can switch the display so that CD text information is not displayed, turn the display off completely, or leave it in standard mode which displays disc time and track information, text (if available) and the format being played.
Program Play: Up to 32 tracks can be programmed and played in any order.
Shuffle Play: This unit can play the tracks on a single disc or all the tracks on all loaded discs in random order.
Repeat Play: This unit can repeat the current track, all the tracks on all loaded discs, all the tracks on the current disc, Shuffle play, and Program play.
Disc Name: Up to 255 discs can be labeled with names of up to 14 characters. If the disc is encoded with SACD Text or CD Text, it cannot be labeled.
Disc Exchange: You can exchange up to 4 discs while playing a fifth (must use disc skip after each one).
RM-SC300 Remote: The remote is pre-programmed to operate this unit and a number of functions on other Sony CD players. The remote's codes correspond to Sony CD Player codes, so many of its functions can be operated with a normal Sony receiver or preamp remote control. CD1 and CD2 modes can be selected from the remote to allow you to use this unit in a system which already contains a Sony CD player.
- Phones: Standard gold-plated headphone output
- Analog Out: Left and right gold-plated RCA jacks. Note: This output must be connected to the receiver or other system amplification, since SACD discs are output only from the analog output.
- Digital Outputs (CD only): One Toslink digital output with a plastic cover and one gold-plated coaxial digital output. Note: Only 16 bit digital signals from a CD or the CD layer of a Hybrid SACD disc are output through the digital outputs. SACD signals are only output through the analog output. This is done both for copy protection issues and the fact that SACD signals are not PCM, thus they could not be recorded by current consumer digital recorders.
- Control A1II: Two Control A1II jacks (min-jack)
When a Super Audio CD is Played:
- Playing Frequency Range: 2 Hz to 100 kHz
- Frequency Response: 2 Hz to 50 kHz (-3dB)
- Dynamic Range: More than 103 dB
- Total Harmonic Distortion Rate: 0.0015% or less
When a CD is Played:
- Frequency Response: 2 Hz to 20 kHz
- Dynamic Range: More than 99 dB
- Total Harmonic Distortion Rate: 0.002% or less
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.