Why Choose Crutchfield?
Great gear and expert advice
Our experts help you pick the ideal gear for your needs.Meet our advisors
Free tech support for the life of your gear.Read about our one-on-one expert help
You may return items that are complete and like new for any reason within 60 days.See the details of our return policy
Earn one point for every dollar you spend and use those points to save on future purchases.Get full details on Crutchfield Rewards
Deep discounts on car installation gear
We offer vehicle-specific installation instructions, dash kits, wiring harnesses, and speaker accessories at deeply discounted prices with car stereo and speaker purchases. Available for most vehicles.Learn more
Trusted since 1974
Our customers have trusted us with their business, and they’ve helped us win awards for our service.Check out our most recent awards
The manufacturer’s warranty always applies.See more details
Portable wireless speaker system with Bluetooth® and AirPlay®
From Sony: SRS-X7 Portable Bluetooth Speaker
Item # 158SRSX7 | MFR # 11336533
This item is no longer available.
Our take on the Sony SRS-X7 by Crutchfield's Jeff Miller
A go-anywhere, do-anything speaker
The SRS-X7 includes a built-in subwoofer with dual passive radiators and two full-range drivers (grille not removable, shown to illustrate drivers).
With an understated yet attractive look — a low-key metal grille trimmed in black, and a plethora of wireless and wired connection options, the Sony SRS-X7 gives you a lot of flexibility. It is small enough to fit on a desk or counter space and sturdy enough to withstand the wears of moving from room to room.
The SRS-X7 works well in a living room, bedroom, or office where it can be plugged in, but also unplugged out in the garage or even on the deck. You can get a good six hours of portable play time (3 hours when connected to a Wi-Fi® network) with the built-in lithium-ion battery fully charged.
Compact design, big sound
Even though it has a relatively small footprint, the SRS-X7 puts out suprisingly full, spacious sound. Sporting a subwoofer with dual passive radiators and two full-range drivers, it can fill most medium-sized rooms with ease. To make sure all your music sounds the best it can, Sony's added an enhancement mode to restore some of the elements that can get lost with compressed music files, including high frequency response.
Plenty of ways to play
Sony has loaded up the SRS-X7 with connectivity options. You get more versatility with the SRS-X7 than you do with most speakers this size:
- Connect the speaker to your Wi-Fi network with an assist from Sony's SongPal app for iOS® or Android™ (available at iTunes® Apps Store and Google Play). When connected, the music stored on your phone, Pandora® Internet radio, and even music stored on a DLNA-connected server can all be accessed directly from the app.
- Pair it with your Bluetooth device of choice, even streaming CD-quality aptX® audio.
- Use its built-in Apple AirPlay technology to wirelessly play music from an iPad®, iPhone®, or computer running iTunes.
- Connect just about anything that has a headphone jack to the 3.5mm aux input.
Spotify® Connect friendly
When your iOS or Android device and speaker are synced up to your Wi-Fi network, there is another way to play music wirelessly if you have a Spotify Premium account. The SRS-X7 becomes an option for the Spotify Connect feature of the Spotify® app, found in the form of a "speaker" icon at the bottom right-hand corner of the app. Spotify Connect is a new way to use your phone or tablet to select, play, and control music from your Spotify account through the speaker. Since the music is streaming through the Wi-Fi connected network, you don't have the range restrictions of Bluetooth. You can also make a phone call, play a video, or use an app on your device without interrupting the music coming from the SRS-X7.
What's in the Box:
- Active wireless speaker system
- AC power adapter (w/ 44" DC cord)
- 22" AC power cord
- "Enjoy Music Over Your WiFi Network" booklet
- Reference Guide
- Important Information
- Warranty Card
- Wi-Fi connection for playing music stored your phone or tablet, and streaming from services including Pandora and Spotify
- Bluetooth wireless audio streaming with aptX support for better sound with compatible devices
- Apple AirPlay lets you stream music wirelessly from your iPod touch®, iPhone®, iPad®, or computer
- DLNA for streaming music from Android smartphones, tablets, and compatible PCs
- Spotify Connect compatible
- built-in lithium-ion rechargeable battery with 6 hour battery life in "network off" mode, 3 hour with "network on"
- minijack auxiliary input
- USB input for charging your phone (USB cable not included)
- Ethernet jack for connection to a wired home network
- NFC touch pairing with compatible phones
- free downloadable Sony SongPal app helps connect the speaker to your wireless network and controls playback, volume, and sound levels
- DSEE and ClearAudio+ sound modes for restoring compressed music
- 1 subwoofer and 2 passive radiators
- frequency response: 50-20,000 Hz
- 11-13/16"W x 5-3/16"H x 2-7/16"D
- weight: 5.86 lbs.
- warranty: 1 year parts, 90 days labor
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
Sony SRS-X7 Reviews
Average Customer Review(s):
Thanks for submitting your review
Features and Specs
|NFC Touch Pairing||Yes|
Audio Section: The Sony SRS-X7 wireless speaker system houses two 1.875" full-range drivers and a single 2.4375" subwoofer, along with dual oval passive radiators to deliver rich and powerful sound. The system's built-in S-master digital amplifier is rated at 8W x 2ch + 16W x 1ch (using AC Power) or 3W x 2ch + 6W x 1ch (using battery power). The SRS-X7 also incorporates two Sony-unique audio technologies to revitalize your favorite compresses digital music tracks.
- DSEE HX: DSEE-HX enhances high-frequency audio response and upscales existing audio signals from MP3, AAC, ATRAC, and WMA music file to high-resolution levels.
- ClearAudio+: ClearAudio+ renders a vibrant soundfield with immersive bass, full mids, and pronounced highs for all your music tracks (available through Sony SongPal app for Apple iOS and Android).
Network Connectivity: The Sony SRS-X7 features a rear-panel Ethernet (RJ-45) port and built-in WiFi that allow you to connect the speaker system to your home network via a hardwired or wireless connection. By connecting the system to your home network you are able to stream select online music services, access audio files on your DLNA music server, or enjoy your iTunes music library via AirPlay. The following system environment is required to use the network function of this speaker system.
- Broadband Line Connection: A Broadband line connection to the Internet is required in order to listen to select online music services.
- Modem: This is the device that is connected to the broadband line to communicate with the Internet. Some of these devices are integrated with the router.
- Router: Use a router compatible with 100 Mbps or greater transmission speed to enjoy content on your home network. 802.11 b/g compatible wireless router for WiFi connection (2.4GHz only).
- LAN Cable (CAT5): A LAN cable (CAT5) is required for hardwired connection.
- WiFi Security: WPS, WEP 64-bit, WEP 128-bit, WPA/WPA2-PSK (AES), or WPA/WPA2-PSK (TKIP)
Online Music Services: You can listen to select music services offered on the internet with the Sony SRS-X7 speaker system. You'll be able to enjoy some of the web's most popular internet radio services through these built-in services; like Pandora, TuneIn, & Music Unlimited (as of 6/18/2014). The SongPal app for Apple iOS and Android is required in order to select between music services. Once a source is selected the included IR remote can be used for basic playback control, such as Play/Pause and Previous/Next Track.
Spotify Connect: With the Spotify app on your Apple iOS or Android smartphone, you've got instant access to millions of songs. And now you can stream those same songs from your smartphone to the Sony SRS-X7 by using Spotify Connect; simply hit play on the app to start streaming music. What's more, when you've been listening to Spotify on your smartphone outside and come inside, the song immediately begins to stream to the speaker system for uninterrupted music enjoyment. You can also personalize playlists and receive phone calls while listening to music. The Spotify app for Apple iOS/Android devices and a premium account are required.
AirPlay: AirPlay lets you stream your favorite songs directly from your iPod touch, iPhone, and iPad, or from your iTunes library on your PC or Mac to the Sony SRS-X7 speaker system, over your home network connection. By downloading Apple's free Remote app onto your iPod touch, iPhone, or iPad you don't even need to be in the same room as the components or your computer to play, pause, skip, and stop the songs in your iTunes music library. To use the AirPlay feature you need a Mac or Windows-based PC running iTunes (10.1 or later) connected to your wireless home network. Your iPod touch, iPhone, and iPad must have iOS 4.3 or later installed and connected to the same wireless home network.
DLNA: The Sony SRS-X7 speaker system is DLNA certified. By connecting the Sony SRS-X7 to your home's network, you can wirelessly listen to music stored on your Windows Vista/7/8 PC or a DLNA (ver.1.5) compatible media server. Compatible music formats include MP3, Linear PCM, WMA, AAC, WAV, FLAC, ALAC, and AIFF.
Bluetooth: The Sony SRS-X7 features built-in Bluetooth (version 3.0) with support for A2DP wireless audio streaming and multiple audio codecs, like aptX, AAC, and SBC. The speaker system also offers Simple Secure Pairing (SSP) and Near Field Communication (NFC).
- Simple Pairing: The SRS-X7 pairs wirelessly and effortlessly with Bluetooth enabled devices (up to 9) with a single press of a button. Bluetooth-enabled devices (like Android 2.3.3 or later) that have Near Field Communication (NFC) are even easier to pair with; simply touch the device to the NFC logo on the speaker and they're paired. NFC Easy Connect app is needed for your Android device, unless you have Android OS 4.1 or later installed. Once paired, the speaker system will automatically re-connect to your device when within range (up to 33').
- Wireless Audio Streaming: You'll be able to wirelessly stream stored music and music apps from your Bluetooth-enabled Apple device, Android smartphone/tablet, portable audio player, laptop, or PC to the Sony SRS-X7 speaker system. The SRS-X7 is compatible with a wide range of Bluetooth music codecs, including the high sound quality aptX for Android, AAC for Apple iOS, and SBC for other Bluetooth devices. The speaker automatically selects the optimum compatible codec for your Bluetooth device so you can enjoy high-grade wireless sound. You'll continue to use your Bluetooth-enabled mobile device for music navigation and song/artist information display.
Note: Due to the differences in Bluetooth technology, some Bluetooth enabled devices may be incompatible, function improperly, or may not support all features when used with the Sony SRS-X7 system.
SongPal Remote App: By downloading Sony's free SongPal remote app (from iTunes or Google Play), you can use your Apple iOS (6.0+) or Android (2.3+) device to control the Sony SRS-X7 speaker system via a WiFi network connection. From the SongPal remote app, you can select music sources and customize sound settings of the speaker system. You'll be able to browse music stored on your DLNA music server or access the system's built-in online music services. The SongPal app will display song/artist information and album art on your compatible smartphone or tablet. The SongPal app also provides WiFi connection setup for the SRS-X7 system from your smartphone.
Aux Input: In addition to Bluetooth and Network connectivity, the Sony SRS-X7 is fitted with a 3.5mm auxiliary input for connection of almost any portable audio player with a headphone output.
USB Charging Port: The Sony SRS-X7 is capable of recharging the battery of your Bluetooth-enabled device from the speaker's built-in USB (type-A) port. Simply connect your mobile device to the speaker system with the USB cable that comes with your device. Now you don't need an extra charger to keep your devices powered up.
Note: This USB port does not support audio playback.
Rechargeable Battery: The Sony SRS-X7 operates off of battery and AC power. The built-in lithium-ion rechargeable battery can last up to 3 hours with a network connection or six hours with no network connection. The included AC power adapter and cord charge the built-in battery and supplies power to the speaker system.
Note: If no operation is performed and no sound is input for approximately 15 minutes, the speaker system will turn off automatically.
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.
1 question already asked
We have not received any answers from other customers on your question. I would recommend reaching out to an Advisor by phone (1-800-324-9695) or online chat. They should be able to help answer your question. [ Greg Jul 03, 2014 ] Staff