Why Choose Crutchfield?
Great gear and expert advice
Our experts help you pick the ideal gear for your needs.Meet our advisors
Free tech support for the life of your gear.Read about our one-on-one expert help
You may return items that are complete and like new for any reason within 60 days.See the details of our return policy
Earn one point for every dollar you spend and use those points to save on future purchases.Get full details on Crutchfield Rewards
Deep discounts on car installation gear
We offer vehicle-specific installation instructions, dash kits, wiring harnesses, and speaker accessories at deeply discounted prices with car stereo and speaker purchases. Available for most vehicles.Learn more
Trusted since 1974
Our customers have trusted us with their business, and they’ve helped us win awards for our service.Check out our most recent awards
The manufacturer’s warranty always applies.See more details
Wireless speaker system with Apple® AirPlay® and Bluetooth®
From Sony: SRS-X9 Portable Bluetooth Speaker
Item # 158SRSX9 | MFR # 11336534
This item is no longer available.
Our take on the Sony SRS-X9 by Crutchfield's Jeff Miller
The SRS-X9 features a total of 7 drivers plus 2 passive radiators.
Beauty and brains
The Sony SRS-X9 exudes style, with its piano black gloss finish, an elegant glass top featuring touch-control buttons that illuminate when your hand hovers over them, and subtle gold trim around the tweeters. But it's what you find "under the hood" that really makes the SRS-X9 a gem of a wireless speaker.
This system comes with state-of-the-art wireless playback options such as Wi-Fi®, AirPlay, and high-quality Bluetooth aptX. The SRS-X9 can also play high-resolution music files for better-than-CD sound quality. The time Sony spent developing, creating, and tweaking the speaker's hardware and technology definitely paid off.
High-tech design for powerful sound
Remove the metal grille with the provided magnet tool and you'll see what makes this system really tick — five of the SRS-X9's seven drivers. In the center, a woofer sits surrounded by dual passive radiators. Two midrange drivers and a pair of tweeters are found on either side. To make the most of their space, Sony used their Magnetic Fluid drivers for the midranges, which are thinner and more efficient than typical speakers. There's a second pair of tweeters placed on top of the speaker to provide more spacious sound. The soundfield produced by this single speaker system is extremely impressive, fueled by an eight-channel S-Master® HX digital amp pumping in 154 watts of total sonic muscle.
Enjoy high-resolution music
Sony developed the noise-reducing amp with high-resolution audio in mind, and the SRS-X9 is capable of 24-bit/192kHz playback. It handles lossless and uncompressed music files including FLAC and DSD through a USB Type A or Type B connection. But if you are streaming or playing files that may not inherently be the best — such as your favorite MP3 playlists — Sony's added an enhancement mode to restore some of the elements that can get lost with compressed music files, including high frequency response.
Connectivity without compromise
When choosing an audio system these days we often have to prioritize: do we want to go for sound quality or convenience? When they built the SRS-X9, Sony clearly thought this was an unfair choice. Not only have they paid close attention to delivering an excellent audio experience, but they've also included the latest technologies to make sure you can easily access your music:
Modest yet good-looking design
- Connect the speaker to your Wi-Fi network with an assist from Sony's SongPal app for iOS® or Android™, available in Google Play or the App store. When connected, your stored music, Pandora Internet radio stations, even music stored on a DLNA connected computer can all be accessed directly from the app.
- Pair it with your Bluetooth device of choice, even streaming at CD-quality with aptX® audio.
- Use its built-in Apple AirPlay technology to wirelessly play music from an iPad®, iPhone®, or computer running iTunes.
- Plug your computer, tablet, or phone into the USB Type A or B jack for music playback, including high-resolution music files. It will also charge your phone's battery.
- Connect just about anything that has a headphone jack to the 3.5mm aux input.
Spotify® Connect friendly
When your iOS or Android device and speaker are synced up to your Wi-Fi network, there is another way to play music wirelessly if you have a Spotify Premium account. The SRS-X9 becomes an option for the Spotify Connect feature of the Spotify app, found in the form of a "speaker" icon at the bottom right-hand corner of the "play" screen. Spotify Connect is a new way to use your phone or tablet to select, play, and control music from your Spotify account through the speaker. Since the music is streaming through the Wi-Fi connected network, you don't have the range restrictions of Bluetooth. You can also make a phone call, play a video, or use an app on your device without interrupting the music coming from the SRS-X9.
What's in the Box:
- Active wireless speaker system
- 5' AC power cord
- Remote control (RMT-CX9)
- Two "AAA" batteries
- 2 Plastic posts
- Cleaning cloth
- "Enjoy Music Over Your WiFi Network" booklet
- Reference Guide
- Important Information
- Warranty Card
- high-performance powered speaker system featuring high-resolution audio playback
- Wi-Fi connection for playing music stored your phone or tablet, and streaming from services including Pandora and Spotify
- Bluetooth wireless audio streaming with aptX support for better sound with compatible devices
- Apple AirPlay lets you stream music wirelessly from your iPod touch®, iPhone®, iPad®, or computer
- DLNA for streaming music from Android smartphones, tablets, and compatible PCs
- Spotify Connect compatible
- minijack auxiliary input
- USB Type A and Type B inputs for playback from your phone, tablet, or computer
- recharges your phone via included USB Type A to USB mini charging cable
- capable of playing AAC, AIFF, DSD, FLAC, MP3, WMA, and WAV file formats
- Ethernet jack for connection to a wired home network
- NFC touch pairing with compatible phones
- free downloadable Sony SongPal app helps connect the speaker to your wireless network and controls playback, volume, and sound levels
- DSEE and ClearAudio+ sound modes for restoring compressed music
- built-in woofer with dual passive radiators
- two Magnetic Fluid midrange drivers
- four tweeters
- eight-channel S-Master HX digital amplifier
- amplifier power: 154 total watts
- frequency response: 45-40,000 Hz
- cleaning cloth and speaker grille removal tool included
- slim wireless remote
- 16-15/16"W x 5-1/4"H x 4-15/16"D
- weight: 13.38 lbs.
- warranty: 1 year parts, 90 day labor
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
Sony SRS-X9 Reviews
Average Customer Review(s):
Thanks for submitting your review
Audio Section: The Sony SRS-X9 wireless speaker system houses two top-firing 0.75" super tweeters, two front-firing 0.75" tweeters, two front-firing 2" midrange drivers, a single front-firing 3.75" bass woofer, and dual front-firing rectangular passive radiators for dynamic, impactful sound. The system's employs eight S-Master HX digital amplifiers rated at 2W x 2ch (for super tweeters) + 25W x 2ch (for tweeters) + 25W x 2ch (for midrange) + 25W x 2ch for subwoofer for undistorted high-quality sound even at loud volume levels. The SRS-X9 also incorporates three Sony-unique audio technologies to revitalize your favorite compresses digital music tracks.
- DSEE HX: DSEE-HX enhances high-frequency audio response and upscales existing audio signals from MP3, AAC, ATRAC, and WMA music file to high-resolution levels.
- ClearAudio+: ClearAudio+ renders a vibrant soundfield with immersive bass, full mids, and pronounced highs for all your music tracks (available through Sony SongPal app for Apple iOS and Android).
- Sound Enhancer: The Sound Enhancer contains seven EQ presets (R&B/Hip-Hop, Pop, Rock, Latin, Flat, Jazz, Classic) and one custom 5-band EQ preset to tailor your music to your listening preference.
Dual USB Ports: The Sony SRS-X9 speaker system is fitted with two USB ports; one USB (type-B) port for computer audio streaming and one USB (type-A) port for streaming audio from a USB mass storage glass device. The included IR remote offers basic playback control, such as Play/Pause and Previous/Next Track. However, advanced music navigation and song/artist information will still have to be done from your USB-connected device.
- USB Type-B Port: The Sony SRS-X9's rear-panel USB (type-B) port lets you stream 192kHz/24-bit high-resolution music directly from your Windows PC or Mac computer to the speaker system. Compatible computers include Windows 7/8/Vista/XP and Mac OS X 10.6+. A Windows PC will require a download of Sony's HD Audio Player software driver. Supported audio formats include MP3, WMA, WMA lossless, AAC, FLAC, AIFF, ALAC, and DSD.
- USB Type-A Port: The SRS-X9 is also equipped with a rear-panel USB (type-A) port that allows you to connect a USB mass storage class (MSC) memory device; such as your Android smartphone (Froyo/Gingerbread OS only), Sony Walkman, or USB thumbdrive. You can enjoy MP3, Linear PCM, WMA, AAC, WAV, FLAC, ALAC, and AIFF music files on your USB device through the Sony speaker system. USB portable audio devices that can be charged via USB will be charged when plugged into the unit's USB port (5V/2.1A).
Network Connectivity: The Sony SRS-X9 features a rear-panel Ethernet (RJ-45) port and built-in WiFi that allow you to connect the speaker system to your home network via a hardwired or wireless connection. By connecting the system to your home network you are able to stream select online music services, access audio files on your DLNA music server, or enjoy your iTunes music library via AirPlay. The following system environment is required to use the network function of this speaker system.
- Broadband Line Connection: A Broadband line connection to the Internet is required in order to listen to select online music services.
- Modem: This is the device that is connected to the broadband line to communicate with the Internet. Some of these devices are integrated with the router.
- Router: Use a router compatible with 100 Mbps or greater transmission speed to enjoy content on your home network. 802.11 b/g compatible wireless router for WiFi connection (2.4GHz only).
- LAN Cable (CAT5): A LAN cable (CAT5) is required for hardwired connection.
- WiFi Security: WPS, WEP 64-bit, WEP 128-bit, WPA/WPA2-PSK (AES), or WPA/WPA2-PSK (TKIP)
Online Music Services: You can listen to select music services offered on the internet with the Sony SRS-X9 speaker system. You'll be able to enjoy some of the web's most popular internet radio services through these built-in services; like Pandora, TuneIn, & Music Unlimited (as of 6/18/2014). The SongPal app for Apple iOS and Android is required in order to select between music services. Once a source is selected the included IR remote can be used for basic playback control, such as Play/Pause and Previous/Next Track.
Spotify Connect: With the Spotify app on your Apple iOS or Android smartphone, you've got instant access to millions of songs. And now you can stream those same songs from your smartphone to the Sony SRS-X9 by using Spotify Connect; simply hit play on the app to start streaming music. What's more, when you've been listening to Spotify on your smartphone outside and come inside, the song immediately begins to stream to the speaker system for uninterrupted music enjoyment. You can also personalize playlists and receive phone calls while listening to music. The Spotify app for Apple iOS/Android devices and a premium account are required.
Apple Device Connectivity: The Sony SRS-X9 speaker system supports iPod, iPhone, and iPad connectivity via its front-panel USB port and built-in AirPlay technology.
- AirPlay: AirPlay lets you stream your favorite songs directly from your iPod touch, iPhone, and iPad, or from your iTunes library on your PC or Mac to the Sony SRS-X9 speaker system, over your home network connection. By downloading Apple's free Remote app onto your iPod touch, iPhone, or iPad you don't even need to be in the same room as the components or your computer to play, pause, skip, and stop the songs in your iTunes music library. To use the AirPlay feature you need a Mac or Windows-based PC running iTunes (10.2.2 or later) connected to your wireless home network. Your iPod touch, iPhone, and iPad must have iOS 4.3.3 or later installed and connected to the same wireless home network.
- USB Direct: The Sony SRS-X9 supports digital music playback from an iPod, iPhone, or iPad using its front-panel USB (type-A) port. Simply plug your compatible Apple device into the receiver's front-panel USB port, using the cable that came with your iPod/iPhone/iPad. Stored music and music apps from your connected Apple device can be played through the AV receiver, bypassing the iPod/iPhone D/A converter for better sound quality. The included IR remote offers basic playback control, such as Play/Pause and Previous/Next Track. However, advanced music navigation and song/artist information will have to be done from your Apple device. Your Apple iPod/iPhone's battery will be charged while connected to the receiver (max. 2.1A).
Note: Click here for Apple device compatibility.
DLNA: The Sony SRS-X9 speaker system is DLNA certified. By connecting the Sony SRS-X9 to your home's network, you can listen to music wirelessly stored on your Windows Vista/7/8 PC or a DLNA (ver.1.5) compatible media server. Compatible music formats include MP3, Linear PCM, WMA, AAC, WAV, FLAC, ALAC, and AIFF. The included IR remote offers basic playback control, such as Play/Pause and Previous/Next Track. However, advanced music navigation and song/artist information will still have to be done from your DLNA server or compatible PC.
Bluetooth: The Sony SRS-X9 features built-in Bluetooth (version 3.0) with support for A2DP/AVRCP wireless audio streaming and multiple audio codecs, like aptX, AAC, and SBC. The speaker system also offers Simple Secure Pairing (SSP) and Near Field Communication (NFC).
- Simple Pairing: The SRS-X9 pairs wirelessly and effortlessly with Bluetooth enabled devices (up to 9) with a single press of a button. Bluetooth-enabled devices (like Android 2.3.3 or later) that have Near Field Communication (NFC) are even easier to pair with; simply touch the device to the NFC logo on the speaker and they're paired. NFC Easy Connect app is needed for your Android device, unless you have Android OS 4.1 or later installed. Once paired, the speaker system will automatically re-connect to your device when within range (up to 33').
- Wireless Audio Streaming: You'll be able to wirelessly stream stored music and music apps from your Bluetooth-enabled Apple device, Android smartphone/tablet, portable audio player, laptop, or PC to the Sony SRS-X9 speaker system. The SRS-X9 is compatible with a wide range of Bluetooth music codecs, including the high sound quality aptX for Android, AAC for Apple iOS, and SBC for other Bluetooth devices. The speaker automatically selects the optimum compatible codec for your Bluetooth device so you can enjoy high-grade wireless sound. The included remote offers basic playback controls, such as Play/Pause and Previous/Next Track. You'll continue to use your Bluetooth-enabled mobile device for advanced music navigation and song/artist information display.
Note: Due to the differences in Bluetooth technology, some Bluetooth enabled devices may be incompatible, function improperly, or may not support all features when used with the Sony SRS-X9 system.
Aux Input: In addition to Bluetooth and Network connectivity, the Sony SRS-X9 is fitted with a 3.5mm auxiliary input for connection of almost any portable audio player with a headphone output.
Remote Control: The Sony SRS-X9 offers wireless remote control via the included IR remote or SongPal app for Apple iOS and Android.
- IR Remote: The speaker system includes an IR remote control for wireless operation of the system. It includes Power On/Off, Source Selection, Volume Up/Down, Mute, Play/Pause, and Previous/Next Track.
- SongPal Remote App: By downloading Sony's free SongPal remote app (from iTunes or Google Play), you can use your Apple iOS (6.0+) or Android (2.3+) device to control the Sony SRS-X9 speaker system via a WiFi network connection. From the SongPal remote app, you can select music sources and customize sound settings of the speaker system. You'll be able to browse music stored on your DLNA music server or computer, as well as access the system's built-in online music services. The SongPal app will display song/artist information and album art on your compatible smartphone or tablet. The SongPal app also provides WiFi connection setup for the SRS-X9 system from your smartphone.
AC Power: The Sony SRS-X9 speaker system operates off of standard household current using the supplied 5' AC power cord.
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.