Why Choose Crutchfield?
Great gear and expert advice
Our experts help you pick the ideal gear for your needs.Meet our advisors
Free tech support for the life of your gear.Read about our one-on-one expert help
You may return items that are complete and like new for any reason within 60 days.See the details of our return policy
Earn one point for every dollar you spend and use those points to save on future purchases.Get full details on Crutchfield Rewards
Deep discounts on car installation gear
We offer vehicle-specific installation instructions, dash kits, wiring harnesses, and speaker accessories at deeply discounted prices with car stereo and speaker purchases. Available for most vehicles.Learn more
Trusted since 1974
Our customers have trusted us with their business, and they’ve helped us win awards for our service.Check out our most recent awards
The manufacturer’s warranty always applies.See more details
7.1-channel home theater receiver
Item # 158STDH720 | MFR # STRDH720
This item is no longer available.
Our take on the Sony STR-DH720 by Crutchfield's Marshall Chase
Get ready to move because Sony's STR-DH720 will transport you right to the middle — of the action, that is. From the not-so-subtle battle explosions you can feel to the chirping of the crickets that turn your living room into a warm summer's night, the 'DH720 brings cinematic realism to life. With this receiver driving up to seven home theater speakers, you may want to warn the neighbors (or invite them over) when you crank up your favorite films, TV shows, video games, and music. There's even advanced decoding like Dolby® TrueHD, Pro logic IIz and DTS-HD™ HD so your Blu-ray movies and concerts sound as great as they look.
HDMI connections and switching for superlative picture, sound and simplicity
The 'DH720 has four HDMI inputs for your high-def components. Analog-to-HDMI upconversion to 1080i helps you get a better picture with older video sources like a VCR. And the receiver can pass all video signals to your TV via a single HDMI cable, even when you've got non-HDMI-equipped components hooked up. You'll have fewer cables to fuss with, and you'll enjoy easier source switching - in fact, you may never have to switch inputs on your TV again
Easy iPod® connection
The easy-to-reach front-panel USB input is an open invitation to your iPod® for music playback as well as charging. Of course you can also use a thumb drive or other compatible device for painless access to your treasure trove of music files.
Hassle-free setup and easy control
Sony's auto calibration makes home theater setup quick, simple, and accurate. Just plug in the included microphone, place it in your favorite seat, and the 'DH720 automatically adjusts the volume and delay settings for each speaker in your system. The result is precise, well-balanced home theater sound, custom-tailored for your specific room and speakers. And Sony's on-screen graphical user interface puts basic receiver commands on your TV screen for easy access.
What's in the Box:
- 7.1ch AV receiver
- Wireless remote control (RM-AAU106)
- 2 "AA" batteries
- Automatic calibration microphone with attached 15' cord (terminates into a 3.5mm miniplug)
- AM loop antenna
- FM wire antenna with attached slip-on "F" connector
- Operating Instructions (English)
- Quick Setup Guide (Eng/Fre/Spa)
- GUI Menu List (Eng/Fre/Spa)
- Warranty sheet
- On-line registration sheet
Power and Processing:
- 7-channel amplifier
- 95 watts per channel into 8 ohms (20-20,000 Hz) at 0.09% THD, with 2 channels driven
- Dolby® TrueHD, DTS-HD Master Audio decoding, Pro Logic® IIz, and Digital Cinema Sound processing
- Digital Cinema Auto Calibration for quick, accurate speaker setup
- Night Mode reduces dynamic range for listening at low volumes
- 1080p-compatible HDMI digital video switching (4 in, 1 out)
- HDMI version 1.4a with support for 3D video, Audio Return Channel, Deep Color, x.v.Color, auto lip-sync, and HDMI-CEC
- Audio Return Channel function receives digital audio signals from a compatible HDTV's tuner via HDMI
- iPod®/iPhone® integration through front-panel USB input
- BRAVIA Sync for simplified operation with compatible Sony components (HDMI-CEC)
- analog-to-HDMI video upconversion to 1080i
- component video switching (2 in, 1 out)
- digital audio inputs: 2 optical, 1 coaxial
- 3 audio/video inputs with composite video
- 2 audio-only inputs
- no phono input to connect a turntable you'll need to add a phono preamp
- 1 set of main speaker outputs
- preamp output for a powered subwoofer
- HDMI standby pass-through allows access to all HDMI connected devices without having to power on the receiver
- convenient on-screen display (via HDMI only)
- A/V remote
- 60 AM/FM presets
- 16-15/16"W x 6-1/4"H x 12-3/16"D
- weight: 16.2 lbs.
- warranty: 2 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
Sony STR-DH720 Reviews
Average Customer Review(s):
Thanks for submitting your review
Features and Specs
7.1ch AV Receiver: The Sony STR-DH720 AV receiver is equipped with a 7-channel amplifier rated at 95 watts (into 8-ohms, at 20-20khz, with 0.09% THD, driving 2 channels) and a dedicated subwoofer preamp output for a Dolby Digital/DTS home theater application.
Digital Cinema Auto Calibration (DCAC): The Sony STR-DH720 is equipped with Digital Cinema Auto Calibration Technology which uses the included microphone to automatically check the speaker connections, adjust the speaker output levels, calculate the distance from each speaker to the listening position, and distinguish frequency characteristics of each speaker. The microphone has an 15' cord attached that plugs into the microphone input on front of the receiver. You can also choose to manually adjust the AV receiver's speaker settings.
Auto Format Direct (A.F.D.) Mode: The Auto Format Direct (A.F.D.) mode allows you to listen to high fidelity sound and select the decoding mode for listening to a 2-channel stereo sound as multi-channel. You can set the A.F.D. mode to Auto or Multi Stereo.
- A.F.D. Auto: Presets the sound as it was recorded/encoded without adding any surround effects.
- Multi Stereo: Outputs 2-channel left/right signals from all speakers.
Dolby Digital/DTS/Dolby Pro Logic: The Sony STR-DH720 AV receiver features Dolby Digital and DTS-HD decoding, as well as offers Dolby Pro Logic audio processing.
- Dolby Digital: Dolby Digital, Dolby, Digital EX, Dolby Digital Plus, Dolby TrueHD
- DTS: DTS, DTS-ES, DTS-HD Master Audio, DTS-HD High Resolution, DTS Express, DTS 96/24, DTS Neo: 6
- Dolby Pro Logic: Dolby Pro Logic II, Dolby Pro Logic IIx, Dolby Pro Logic IIz
Note: Dolby Digital and DTS listening modes can only be selected if your audio source is connected to the A/V preamplifier via a digital audio connection (HDMI, optical, or coaxial). To enjoy true 7.1ch Dolby Digital TrueHD and DTS-HD surround sound, the receiver must be connected to your Blu-ray player via HDMI.
HD Digital Cinema Sound (HD D.C.S): HD Digital Cinema Sound (HD-D.C.S.) is Sony's new innovative home theater technology using the latest acoustic and digital signal processing technologies. It is based on precise response measurement data of a mastering studio. With this mode, you are able to enjoy Blu-ray and DVD movies at home with not only the high quality of sound, but also the best sound ambience, just as the movie's sound engineer intended in the mastering process. You can choose from the following HD-D.C.S modes - Dynamic, Theater, Studio, Berlin Philharmonic Hall, Jazz Club, Live Concert, Stadium, Sports, Portable Audio.
Analog Direct: The receiver's Analog Direct mode outputs audio from only the front left and right speakers without any tone or DSP processing; only the volume and front speaker balance adjustments are active.
Headphone Modes: The receiver offers two distinct headphone sound modes.
- HP 2CH: Sets the receiver to power only the front left and right speakers, no surround and no subwoofer. Two channel sources bypass the sound field processing and multi channel sources are down-mixed to 2 channels.
- HP Direct: Amplifies the source without any processing, only the volume and front speaker balance adjustments are active.
Equalizer: You can adjust the tonal quality (bass and treble level) of the front speakers from -6dB to +6dB, in 1dB steps.
Auto Volume: Auto Volume adjust the volume automatically depending on the input signal or content from the connected equipment. This function is useful, for example, when the sound of a commercial is louder than the TV programs.
Dynamic Range Compressor: This feature allows you to compress the dynamic range of the sound track. You can select standard or maximum compression, or off (only works with Dolby Digital sources).
Night Mode: This function allows you to retain a theater like environment at low volume levels. When watching a movie late at night, you will still be able to hear the dialog clear even at a low volume level.
Audio Inputs/Outputs: The Sony STR-DH720 offers a variety of analog and digital audio inputs/outputs.
- Speaker Outputs: The receiver is equipped with binding post speaker terminals for the front channel speakers and spring clip terminals for the surround, surround-back/front-height, and center channel speakers.
- Digital Inputs: The receiver has two optical digital inputs and one coaxial digital inputs (all assignable). You can choose auto decoding or PCM for the digital audio inputs. Auto will decode the signal in its original form (Dolby Digital, DTS, PCM, etc), PCM decodes the signal to 2-channel.
- Headphones: When headphones are plugged into the full-size 1/4" jack on the front panel, all the speakers are automatically muted.
AM/FM Tuner: The STR-DH720 has 30 presets each for AM and FM for a total of 60. In addition to preset and auto tuning, stations can be tuned directly by frequency. Each preset station can be given an 8 character name.
6 HD Inputs: The Sony STR-DH720 is equipped with four HD inputs. Four HDMI 1.4 inputs (up to 1080/24p capable) let you connect a high-definition satellite receiver, Blu-ray Disc player, and game system for high definition video and audio. Two component inputs (1080/60i capable) provide added HD-capable connectivity and versatility.
- HDMI: The receiver is equipped with four HDMI (v.1.4) inputs for connecting HDMI-equipped audio/video components. All four HDMI inputs are capable of carrying uncompressed digital audio and 3D 1080p video There is also an HDMI (v.1.4) output which supports the ARC function that feeds audio/video signals to an HDTV.
- HD Component Video: This unit features 2 component video inputs and a component video monitor output. These jacks feature an 80 MHz bandwidth, making them capable of passing high-definition video signals.
HDMI Upconvert/Upscale (1080i): The Sony AV receiver's HDMI upconvert/upscale function improves image quality of analog connected devices to near HD. Analog connected device signals (component/composite: 480i) are converted to digital, upscaled, and output via HDMI (up to 1080i), making one cable connection from the receiver to your TV possible. Requires connection via HDMI cable (sold separately) to equivalent HDTV. Upconverted image and sound quality will vary depending on source.
3D-Ready: The Sony STR-DH720 is compatible with 3D-ready Blu-ray disc movies, video games, and other 3D content through its HDMI (v.1.4) connections. 3D viewing requires 3D-ready source with 3D content, 3D-ready HDTV, 3D glasses, and high-speed HDMI cable. Other 3D accessories may also be needed.
HDMI Standby Pass-Through: The HDMI Standby Pass-Through feature conveniently allows you to access all your HDMI connected devices without having to power on the receiver .
24p True Cinema Mode: The 24p True Cinema Mode allows you to watch movies at their native frame rate 24p format (24 frames per second) when paired with a 24p playback device like a Blu-ray Disc Player.
x.v.Color: The AV receiver supports x.v.Color, offering a wider color range than the current broadcast standard. For the x.v.Color feature to be useful, the entire video production chain must be compatible (camera-editing-format-player-display).
Deep Color: The Sony receiver also supports Deep Color which allows the color depth of video signals passing through HDMI to be raised. The number of colors that could be expressed by 1 pixel was 24 bits (16,777,216 colors) with a standard HDMI jack. However, the number of colors which can be expressed by 1 pixel is 36 bits with a Deep Color enabled HDMI jack. Since the gradation of the depth of a color can be expressed more finely with more bits, continuous color changes can be more smoothly expressed. For the Deep Color feature to be useful, the entire video production chain must be compatible (camera-editing-format-player-display).
A/V Sync: The audio output can be delayed so that the time gap between the audio output and the visual display is minimized. This is especially helpful when you are using a large LCD or plasma TV or a projection TV. When activated, the delay is fixed at 60 ms.
ARC (Audio Return Channel): This feature allows audio to be sent from your compatible HDTV to your receiver through the same HDMI cable already being used to send audio and video to your HDTV. This eliminates the need for extra cables connected to your television.
Front A/V Input: The Sony STR-DH-720 is equipped with a front-panel A/V input which consists of a composite video input and stereo audio RCA jacks.
Sony Compatible USB Port: You can enjoy music from select Sony USB devices (Walkman/MicroVault/NWZ-series) by connecting the device to the receiver's front-panel USB (type-A) port. The Sony USB device must be formatted with FAT16 or FAT32. You can playback the following music files - MP3 (32-320 kbps), WMA (48-192 kbps), and AAC (48-320 kbps). The receiver can recognize up to 100 folders and 100 audio files in each folder, per device. You are able to control Play/Pause, Stop, Fast Forward/Rewind, Skip (previous/next), and Folder (up/down) functions of your connected Sony USB device.
Note: See page 46 of the AV receiver's Operating Instructions for compatible Sony USB devices (Walkman/MicroVault/NWZ-series). Other USB devices cannot be used on this receiver.
iPod/iPhone Direct: Using a USB-to iPod-Dock cable plugged into the front-panel USB port, music can be played directly from an iPod/iPhone, bypassing the iPod/iPhone's DAC. The iPod/iPhone is controlled by the receiver's remote, or you can continue to control your iPod/iPhone from its clickwheel or touchscreen. Song/artist information and elapsed time are displayed on the receiver's front-panel LCD or your connected TV screen (via HDMI). You can navigate your iPod/iPhone's music using the on-screen menu and remote control by Playlist, Artist, Album Genre, Song, Composer, Podcast, or Audiobook. You also have access to Repeat (One/All/Off) and Shuffle (Songs/Albums/Off) functions. Your iPod/iPhone's battery will be charged while connected to the receiver (when turned on). Using the dock cable to connect directly, iPod/iPhone compatibility is as follows (as of 1/14/2013):
|iPod/iPhone Model||Generation||Tested Version||Media Type||Control Type||Display Type||Charge|
|Audio||Video||Remote||iPod/iPhone||Album Art||Artist/Song Text||Track Info|
Note: Apple iPod/iPhone software updates may change functionality results. If you download a newer software version, you may need to reset the unit and your iPod/iPhone to regain functionality. If this doesn't work, you may need to wait until a newer software update is available.
Optional iPod/iPhone Video: With the optional Apple iPod AV cable (sold separately), you can play videos stored on your iPod/iPhone through the AV receiver and your connected TV (via HDMI). The optional Apple iPod AV cable plugs into the receiver's front-panel USB port and front-panel AV input. Your iPod/iPhone's video will be upconverted to HDMI out to your TV. You can access Movies, Music Videos, TV Shows, Video Podcasts, and Rented Movies stored on your iPod using the receiver's on-screen menu and IR remote control.
On-Screen Menu (via HDMI): You can display the menu of the receiver on your HDMI connected TV screen and select the function you want to use from the on-screen menu using the included IR remote control.
Input Naming: You can enter a name of up to 8 characters for each of the receiver's inputs (except Tuner) and display the name on its display. This is convenient for labeling the jacks with the names of your connected components.
Input Mode: When you connect components to both digital and analog audio input jacks on the receiver, you can fix the audio input mode to either of them, or switch from one to the other, depending on the type of material you intend to watch.
Sleep Timer: The unit may be set to automatically turn off after 30, 60, 90, or 120 minutes.
Dimmer: You can adjust the brightness of the display in 3 steps - Dim Max, Dim Mid, and Dim Off.
Auto Standby: Auto Standby lets you set the receiver switch to standby mode automatically after 30 minutes when you do not operate the receiver or when there is no signal input to the receiver.
Wireless Remote: The supplied remote (RM-AAU106) is pre-coded to control this Sony receiver, Sony TVs, Sony CD players, Sony DVD players and recorders, and Sony Blu-ray disc players and recorders. You can also change the initial settings of the input buttons on the remote control to suit the components in your system.
Bravia Theater Sync: Sony's Bravia Theater Sync feature allows you to easily manage select BRAVIA televisions and Sony HDMI audio and video components with a single remote. By connecting Sony components that are compatible with the HDMI Control function with a HDMI cable, operation is simplified in the following ways.
- One-Touch-Play: When you playback a component such as a DVD/Blu-ray Disc Player, the receiver and the TV are turned on automatically and switch to the appropriate HDMI input.
- System Audio Control: While watching TV, you can select to output the sound from the TV speaker or the speakers connected to the receiver.
- System Power Off: When you turn off the TV, the receiver and connected components are also turned off simultaneously.
- Theater Mode Sync: Allows you to switch the AV receiver's Theater mode from the receiver's, TV, or connected Blu-ray disc player's remote control, while pointing the remote toward your television.
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.