Why Choose Crutchfield?
Great gear and expert advice
Our experts help you pick the ideal gear for your needs.Meet our advisors
Free tech support for the life of your gear.Read about our one-on-one expert help
You may return items that are complete and like new for any reason within 60 days.See the details of our return policy
Earn one point for every dollar you spend and use those points to save on future purchases.Get full details on Crutchfield Rewards
Deep discounts on car installation gear
We offer vehicle-specific installation instructions, dash kits, wiring harnesses, and speaker accessories at deeply discounted prices with car stereo and speaker purchases. Available for most vehicles.Learn more
Trusted since 1974
Our customers have trusted us with their business, and they’ve helped us win awards for our service.Check out our most recent awards
The manufacturer’s warranty always applies.See more details
7.2-channel home theater receiver
Item # 158STDH740 | MFR # STR-DH740
This item is no longer available.
Our take on the Sony STR-DH740 by Crutchfield's David Brown
Without surround sound, it just isn't home theater
Add realism to your home entertainment experience. The Sony STR-DH740 receiver puts you in the middle of the action with thrilling surround sound. With 7 channels of power, the 'DH740 provides setup flexibility to suit your system, with "front height" or "surround back" speakers adding more depth to your Blu-ray soundtracks. There are preamp outputs to connect two subwoofers, if one just isn't enough to fill your home theater with explosive sound effects and low-end rumble. And Sony's soundfields can turn simple stereo music into room-filling sound that mimics a live venue. There's also a front-panel USB connection, so you can plug in your iPhone® or iPod® and use the receiver's remote to control your music.
Don't sweat the setup
Sony makes it a snap to connect lots of gear to the 'DH740, so you can start enjoying its features quickly. The on-screen guide will walk you through the setup process, including Sony's automatic speaker calibration. This customizes the sound of your speakers to fit your specific room and placement, important for properly balanced sound. Four HDMI inputs provide plenty of hook-ups for Blu-ray players, cable or satellite boxes, and streaming video devices like Apple TV. And standby switching means you can watch movies and shows from connected devices without powering on your receiver. Just keep feeding it your favorite movie and concert soundtracks for sound that will do justice to your large-screen HDTV.
I very great product
Kenny, Clinton, MD
What's in the Box:
- 7.2ch AV receiver
- Wireless remote control (RM-AAU168)
- 2 "AA" batteries
- Automatic calibration microphone (ECM-AC2)
- AM loop antenna
- FM wire antenna (w/ attached slip-on "F" connector)
- Operating Instructions
- Quick Setup Guide (En/Fr/Sp)
- US Warranty sheet
- Canada Warranty sheet
- On-line registration sheet
Power and Processing:
- 7-channel amplifier
- 90 watts per channel into 6 ohms (20-20,000 Hz) at 0.09% THD, with 2 channels driven
- Dolby® and DTS® surround sound decoding, including Dolby Pro Logic® IIz
- Digital Cinema Auto Calibration for easy, accurate speaker setup
- Sony soundfields create surround sound effects from stereo signals
- HDMI audio/video switching: 4 in, 1 out
- front-panel USB port for audio playback from an iPod, iPhone, or USB flash drive
- composite video switching: 2 in, 1 out
- digital audio inputs: 2 optical and 1 coaxial
- 4 analog stereo audio inputs
- no phono input to connect a turntable you'll need to add a phono preamp
- preamp outputs for 2 powered subwoofers
- outputs for seven speakers (Front L/R, Center, Surround L/R, Surround Back L/R)
- "Surround Back" speaker outputs can be used as Front Height, Front B, or for bi-amping compatible Front A speakers
- full-sized headphone jack
- 3D and 4K HDMI pass-through
- This receiver is not HDCP 2.2-compliant and will not support copy-protected 4K video content.
- HDMI standby pass-through allows access to all HDMI connected devices without having to power on the receiver
- BRAVIA Sync for one-remote operation with compatible Sony components
- convenient on-screen display (via HDMI only)
- 60 AM/FM presets
- remote control
- 17"W x 6-3/16"H x 13-1/2"D
- weight: 17.69 lbs.
- warranty: 2 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
Sony STR-DH740 Reviews
Average Customer Review(s):
Thanks for submitting your review
Features and Specs
Assignable 7-Channel Amplifier: The Sony STR-DH740 AV receiver is equipped with a 7-channel amplifier rated at 90 watts (into 6-ohms, at 20-20kHz, with 0.09% THD, driving 2 channels). The AV receiver's Surround Back/Front Height amplifier channels can be configured to accommodate your type of home theater setup.
- Surround Back: Allows you to enjoy high-fidelity reproduction of Dolby Digital TrueHD, Dolby Digital Plus, and DTS-HD (High-Resolution Audio or Master Audio) with 7.1 channel surround, using the Surround Back speaker channels.
- Front Height: You can enjoy vertical sound effects if you connect two additional Front-Height speakers in Dolby Pro Logic IIz mode. No Surround Back speakers in this configuration.
- B-Speakers: If you are only connecting a 5.1ch speaker system, you can use the Surround Back/Front Height amp channels as a Speaker B output, allowing you to place a pair of speakers in another room of the house. Speaker B can be played at the same time of Speaker A, or by itself. Speaker B uses the same volume control and source input as Speaker A.
- Front Bi-Amp: If you are not using the Surround Back/Front Height at all, you can connect them to your front speakers using a bi-amplifier connection (if applicable). This provides even better sound quality from your front speakers. Your home theater setup will be limited to 5.1ch.
Digital Cinema Auto Calibration (DCAC): The Sony STR-DH740 is equipped with Digital Cinema Auto Calibration Technology which uses the included microphone to automatically check the speaker connections, adjust the speaker output levels, calculate the distance from each speaker to the listening position, and distinguish frequency characteristics of each speaker. The microphone has an 15' cord attached that plugs into the microphone input on front of the receiver. You can also choose to manually adjust the AV receiver's speaker settings.
Auto Format Direct (A.F.D.) Mode: The Auto Format Direct (A.F.D.) mode allows you to listen to high fidelity sound and select the decoding mode for listening to a 2-channel stereo sound as multi-channel. You can set the A.F.D. mode to Auto or Multi Stereo.
- A.F.D. Auto: Presets the sound as it was recorded/encoded without adding any surround effects.
- Multi Stereo: Outputs 2-channel left/right signals from all speakers.
Dolby Digital/DTS/Dolby Pro Logic: The Sony STR-DH740 AV receiver features Dolby Digital and DTS-HD decoding, as well as offers Dolby Pro Logic audio processing.
- Dolby Digital: Dolby Digital, Dolby Digital EX, Dolby Digital Plus, Dolby TrueHD
- DTS: DTS, DTS-ES, DTS-HD Master Audio, DTS-HD High Resolution, DTS Express, DTS 96/24, DTS Neo: 6
- Dolby Pro Logic: Dolby Pro Logic II, Dolby Pro Logic IIx, Dolby Pro Logic IIz
Note: Dolby Digital and DTS listening modes can only be selected if your audio source is connected to the A/V preamplifier via a digital audio connection (HDMI, optical, or coaxial). To enjoy true 7.1ch Dolby Digital TrueHD and DTS-HD surround sound, the AV receiver must be connected to your Blu-ray player via HDMI.
HD Digital Cinema Sound (HD D.C.S): HD Digital Cinema Sound (HD-D.C.S.) is Sony's new innovative home theater technology using the latest acoustic and digital signal processing technologies. It is based on precise response measurement data of a mastering studio. With this mode, you are able to enjoy Blu-ray and DVD movies at home with not only the high quality of sound, but also the best sound ambience, just as the movie's sound engineer intended in the mastering process. You can choose from the following HD-D.C.S modes - Dynamic, Theater, Studio, Hall, Jazz Club, Live Concert, Stadium, Sports, or Portable Audio.
Pure Direct: The receiver's Pure Direct mode outputs audio from only the front left and right speakers without any tone or DSP processing; only the volume and front speaker balance adjustments are active.
Headphone Modes: The receiver offers two distinct headphone sound modes.
- HP 2CH: Sets the receiver to power only the front left and right speakers, no surround and no subwoofer. Two channel sources bypass the sound field processing and multi channel sources are down-mixed to 2 channels.
- HP Direct: Amplifies the source without any processing, only the volume and front speaker balance adjustments are active.
Advanced Audio Settings: These advanced audio settings allow you to tailor the sound to your source content, listening conditions, and your personal preferences.
- Equalizer: You can adjust the tonal quality (bass & treble level) of the front speakers from -6dB to +6dB, in 1dB steps.
- Auto Volume: Auto Volume adjust the volume automatically depending on the input signal or content from the connected equipment. This function is useful, for example, when the sound of a commercial is louder than the TV programs.
- Dynamic Range Compressor: This feature allows you to compress the dynamic range of the sound track. You can select standard or maximum compression, or off (only works with Dolby Digital sources).
- Night Mode: This function allows you to retain a theater like environment at low volume levels. When watching a movie late at night, you will still be able to hear the dialog clear even at a low volume level.
Audio Inputs/Outputs: The Sony STR-DH740 offers a variety of analog and digital audio inputs/outputs.
- Digital Inputs: The receiver has two optical digital inputs and one coaxial digital inputs (all assignable). You can choose auto decoding or PCM for the digital audio inputs. Auto will decode the signal in its original form (Dolby Digital, DTS, PCM, etc), PCM decodes the signal to 2-channel.
- Speaker Outputs: The receiver is equipped with binding post terminals for all speaker channels. The binding post terminals will accept bare wire, pin connectors, and banana plugs (single only). Use speakers with a 6- to 16-ohm impedance.
- Dual Sub Outputs: The AV receiver is fitted with two subwoofer preamp outputs to connect dual powered subs.
- Headphones: When headphones are plugged into the full-size 1/4" jack on the front panel, all the speakers are automatically muted. No sound is output from the headphones when iPod or iPhone is connected to the receiver.
AM/FM Tuner: The STR-DH740 has 30 presets each for AM and FM for a total of 60. In addition to preset and auto tuning, stations can be tuned directly by frequency. Each preset station can be given an 8 character name.
4 HDMI (v.1.4) Inputs: The receiver is equipped with four HDMI (v.1.4) inputs for connecting HDMI-equipped audio/video component; such as your satellite/cable receiver, Blu-ray/DVD player, and game system. It also allows you to connect all of your devices to your TV with a single HDMI cable (via its ARC-compatible HDMI monitor output), reducing cable clutter. The receiver's HDMI v.1.4 jacks are compatible with 1080p/24Hz and 4K video, 3D video signals, Deep Color & x.v.Color technology; as well as LipSync, ARC, and HDMI control.
- 4K Pass-Through: 4K Pass Through allows the Sony STR-DH740 to receive super high-definition resolution video and pass the video signal to a 4K compatible TV or display monitor. This ensures compatibility with the latest super high resolution video formats.
- 3D-Ready: The Sony STR-DH740 is compatible with 3D-ready Blu-ray disc movies, video games, and other 3D content through its HDMI (v.1.4) connections. 3D viewing requires 3D-ready source with 3D content, 3D-ready HDTV, 3D glasses, and high-speed HDMI cable. Other 3D accessories may also be needed.
- Deep/x.v.Color Support: The Sony AV receiver also supports Deep Color and x.v.Color content, which can display a larger color range than standard-definition schemes. The result is a more lifelike, vibrant picture.
- A/V Sync: The audio output can be delayed so that the time gap between the audio output and the visual display is minimized. This is especially helpful when you are using a large LCD or plasma TV or a projection TV. When activated, the delay is fixed at 60 ms.
- ARC (Audio Return Channel): This feature allows audio to be sent from your compatible HDTV to your receiver through the same HDMI cable already being used to send audio and video to your HDTV. This eliminates the need for extra cables connected to your television.
24p True Cinema Mode: The 24p True Cinema Mode allows you to watch movies at their native frame rate 24p format (24 frames per second) when paired with a 24p playback device like a Blu-ray Disc Player.
HDMI Standby Pass-Through: The HDMI Standby Pass-Through feature conveniently allows you to access all your HDMI connected devices without having to power on the receiver .
HDMI Preview: This feature provides a live picture-in-picture preview on your HDMI-connected TV of HDMI inputs connected to the receiver. HDMI Preview is not compatible with 4K and 3D video signals.
Composite Video Inputs: The Sony STR-DH740 is also fitted with two analog composite video inputs and one composite video monitor output. The composite video jacks support 480i video signals only.
Sony Compatible USB Port: You can enjoy music from select Sony USB devices (Walkman/MicroVault/NWZ-series) by connecting the device to the receiver's front-panel USB (type-A) port. The Sony USB device must be formatted with FAT16 or FAT32. You can playback the following music files; MP3 (32-320kbps), WMA (48-192kbps), AAC (48-320kbps), and WAV(16-bit) The receiver can recognize up to 256 folders and 256 audio files in each folder, per device. You are able to control Play/Pause/Stop, Fast Forward/Rewind, Skip Previous/Next), and Folder (up/down) functions of your connected Sony USB device.
Note: See page 38 of the AV receiver's Operating Instructions for compatible Sony USB devices (Walkman/MicroVault/NWZ-series). Other USB devices cannot be used on this receiver.
iPod/iPhone Direct: The Sony STR-DH740 supports digital music playback from an iPod, iPhone, or iPad using its front-panel USB (type-A) port. Simply plug your compatible Apple device into the receiver's front-panel USB port, using the cable that came with your iPod/iPhone/iPad. Stored music and music apps from your connected Apple device can be played through the AV receiver, bypassing the iPod/iPhone D/A converter for better sound quality. The iPod/iPhone/iPad can be controlled by the receiver's remote, or you can continue to use the Apple device's clickwheel or touchscreen. You can search for stored music on your compatible Apple device by Playlist, Artist, Album, Song, Podcast, Genre, Composer, or Audiobook. You also have access to Repeat (One/All/Off) and Shuffle (Songs/Albums/Off) functions. Song/artist information from stored music on your iPod/iPhone will display on your connected TV via HDMI. The receiver offers limited control (Play/Pause, Previous/Next Track) of music apps on your iPod/iPhone and no song/artist information. Your Apple iPod/iPhone's battery will be charged while connected to the receiver (max. 1A). This unit will not charge the iPad. The Sony STR-DH740 is "made for iPod/iPhone" and supports the following iPod/iPhone model functions (as of 9/24/2013).
|Apple Device||Generation||Tested Version||Media Type||Control Type||Display Type||Charge|
|Audio||Video||Remote||iPod/iPhone||Album Art||Artist/Song Text||Track Info|
Note: Apple iPod/iPhone software updates may change functionality results. If you download a newer software version, you may need to reset the unit and your iPod/iPhone to regain functionality. If this doesn't work, you may need to wait until a newer software update is available.
On-Screen Menu (via HDMI): You can display the menu of the receiver on your HDMI connected TV screen and select the function you want to use from the on-screen menu using the included IR remote control. If your TV is connected to the composite video monitor output, you will need to use the AV receiver's front-panel display when changing settings.
Input Naming: You can enter a name of up to 8 characters for each of the receiver's inputs (except Tuner) and display the name on its display. This is convenient for labeling the jacks with the names of your connected components.
Input Mode: When you connect components to both digital and analog audio input jacks on the receiver, you can fix the audio input mode to either of them, or switch from one to the other, depending on the type of material you intend to watch.
Sleep Timer: The unit may be set to automatically turn off after 30, 60, 90, or 120 minutes.
Dimmer: You can adjust the brightness of the display in 3 steps - Dim Max, Dim Mid, and Dim Off.
Auto Standby: Auto Standby lets you set the receiver switch to standby mode automatically after 30 minutes when you do not operate the receiver or when there is no signal input to the receiver.
Wireless Remote: The supplied IR remote is pre-coded to control this Sony receiver, Sony TVs, Sony CD players, Sony DVD players and recorders, and Sony Blu-ray disc players and recorders.
Bravia Theater Sync: Sony's Bravia Theater Sync feature allows you to easily manage select BRAVIA televisions and Sony HDMI audio and video components with a single remote. By connecting Sony components that are compatible with the HDMI Control function with a HDMI cable, operation is simplified in the following ways.
- One-Touch-Play: When you playback a component such as a DVD/Blu-ray Disc Player, the receiver and the TV are turned on automatically and switch to the appropriate HDMI input.
- System Audio Control: While watching TV, you can select to output the sound from the TV speaker or the speakers connected to the receiver.
- System Power Off: When you turn off the TV, the receiver and connected components are also turned off simultaneously.
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.
13 questions already asked
I would check the menu settings of you Blu-ray player. You probably have the audio defaults set to PCM, rather than Audiophile or bitstream, or however your bluray player lables the audio output. [ David Jul 01, 2014 ]
We have not received any answers from other customers on your question. If you purchased the product from Crutchfield, feel free to contact our Tech Support team. Our toll-free Tech Support number is printed on your invoice, and is also available under the "My Orders" tab in the "My Account" section of our website. If you did not purchase the unit from Crutchfield, then you may want to contact the manufacturer. You can also post your question in our forums: http://community.crutchfield.com. Or try our online support center: http://crutchfield.custhelp.com/app/answers/list/kw/. [ Jeff Jun 23, 2014 ] Staff
If you purchased the product from Crutchfield, feel free to contact our Tech Support team. They can walk you through the settings on the product and see if there may be a fix. Our toll-free Tech Support number is printed on your invoice, and is also available under the "My Orders" tab in the "My Account" section of our website. If you did not purchase the unit from Crutchfield, then you may want to contact the manufacturer. You can also post your question in our forums: http://community.crutchfield.com. Or try our online support center: http://crutchfield.custhelp.com/app/answers/list/kw/. [ Krissy Jun 20, 2014 ] Staff
Sorry, have not tried Super Audio CD on this unit.. [ JONG Mar 24, 2014 ]
This receiver will absolutely work with 8-ohm speakers. [ Jeff Mar 13, 2014 ] Staff
This Receiver does offer 3D and 4K pass-through to keep this receiver up to date with the latest video formats. However, I don't have a projector, nor have I hooked one up. But as far as I know, It should still hook up to your projector just as you would hook up to a HDTV. Either way the sound quality is very good. And if you don't have a powered sub, Get One. I went with an Infinity PS410 8" powered sub, and it will shake most of my house. Anyway, hope this helps. I'm not that knowledgeable about projectors. [ RICHARD Mar 12, 2014 ]
I believe it does. I do not use 3D in my current setup for the receiver is capable of doing it. My blu-ray player is 3D but my TV isn't so I don't use that function. [ IVAN Mar 10, 2014 ]
1 answer I currently have an older Sony receiver which was capable of 6.1, but no HDMI inputs, which is why I want to upgrade. I have a sub woofer, Center, two front, two surround, and one rear speaker set up (6.1) in my home. It would be difficult to add the seventh speaker which would be the second rear speaker. Can I use this receiver receiver in 6.1? Looking at pic of the back of the receiver looks like I would only get one channel (right/left) if I were to try to do this. [ Frank Mar 06, 2014 ]
I forwarded your question to an Advisor and they responded with the following: You can use this receiver as 6.1, but it's not necessarily recommended. DVD's are recorded in 5.1 or 7.1 configurations. If you only have a 6 speakers hooked up, it's just going to be "off" because either a left or right is not going to have a speaker connected. If you would like to discuss further you can contact an Advisor directly by phone (1-800-324-9695) or online chat. [ Krissy Mar 09, 2014 ] Staff
This receiver is only rated down to 6-ohms for speakers. I would recommend reaching out to an Advisor by phone (1-800-324-9695) or online chat. They should be able to help narrow down the 4-ohm compatible receivers we carry. [ Jeff Feb 24, 2014 ] Staff
Many newer seven-channel surround sound receivers actually let you redirect the power from unused rear surround channels to use in combination with the power from your front two channels. In effect, this gives you four dedicated amplifier channels to drive a single pair of compatible left and right front speakers (each of which must have two pairs of input terminals for this to work). This neat trick essentially doubles the available power, resulting in more dynamic, higher-quality sound from your now bi-amped front speakers. You can find out more about bi-amping here: http://www.crutchfield.com/learn/blogs/av_tips/archive/2008/04/23/are-you-sitting-on-a-wealth-of-untapped-power.aspx?showAll=N [ Jeff Feb 24, 2014 ] Staff
Technically both are correct, but we prefer the 90W rating. The 145 W/channel rating is rated at 1kHz and the 90W rating is rated at full frequency spectrum (20-20kHz). Full bandwidth rated power is what we use for all receivers, so you can easily compare this against other models. This is also a better indication of the actual power that you will see in your home. [ Jeff Feb 24, 2014 ] Staff
Yes, it have it in the menu that the receiver have. To access it. Connect the receiver to the tv and press home button on sony controller, then you can find it under sound settings. If you have any other question feel free to ask. Regards [ HARRY VEGA Jan 28, 2014 ]
Yes. Go into the Amp Menu, scroll down to EQ, and you can adjust bass and treble +10 to -10. Hope this helped. [ RICHARD Jan 28, 2014 ]
Yes, via on-screen menu settings. [ GREG Jan 27, 2014 ]
NO, I DIDN'T LIKE IT AND RETURNED SAME TO CRUTCHFIELD IMMEDIATELY. [ JAINARAINE Jan 27, 2014 ]
Yes it does. It is not a knob that you would see. You have to do through the on screen menu. [ ELITE RETREATS Jan 27, 2014 ]
Yes it does, they can be controlled at different hertz. I don't remember off the top of my head on which ones but yes you can control them. [ JAIME A Jan 27, 2014 ]
Yes, they are part of the set-up process. However, the receiver does not have Bass and Treble knobs on the face of the receiver for manual adjustments. [ GARY A Jan 27, 2014 ]
yes, on the remote u can go to settings and adjust treble and bass levels. [ JOHN Jan 27, 2014 ]
I go to the equalizer setting to adjust the curves that affects the bass and treble to control for listening to music. [ DENNIS Jan 27, 2014 ]
Yes it does. The receiver has the basic EQ setup options for the bass and the treble. I got this receiver on a nice sale and for the price there is nothing that can beat it. I listen to music and watch movies with it, and I am happy with it. [ IVAN Jan 27, 2014 ]
My answer would have to be yes. From the remote control, select "Home" button, select "Sound Effects", select "Equalizer" and adjust Treble and Bass accordingly. In my opinion this option is much more convenient then having to get up and manually adjusts knobs from front of receiver. [ FRANK Jan 27, 2014 ]
Yes you need to use remote an the vidoe jack to the tv to set balances [ PAUL Jan 27, 2014 ]
I do not believe so, I only use it in one zone. sound quality is good [ SIVANATHAN Jan 07, 2014 ]
Nolan, sorry but I have not figured out how to get sound to the 2nd zone either. It's winter so getting music to my deck is not a priority at this point. I'll probably get with tech support this spring. Thanks Jeff [ JEFF S Jan 07, 2014 ]
I haven't tried setting up for 2 zones. Otherwise it sounds great. [ JONG Jan 04, 2014 ]
You can do A/B or surround but not both. [ MICHAEL Jan 04, 2014 ]
Yes the 740 will work with 5 speaker systems, and would give you the ability to expand in the future. For information on comparing two or more models I would recommend reaching out to an Advisor by phone or online chat. They will be able to help determine the differences and help you make the best choice for your system and your budget. [ Jeff Dec 22, 2013 ] Staff
can I listen to FM and Am Stereo? [ mas62 Dec 20, 2013 ]
Hello Celestino, I am sorry but I have not added any type of speaker selector to my receiver, so I don't have a definite answer for you. But it is a great receiver. Sorry I could not help, [ WILLIAM A Dec 13, 2013 ]