Why Choose Crutchfield?
Great gear and expert advice
Our experts help you pick the ideal gear for your needs.Meet our advisors
Free tech support for the life of your gear.Read about our one-on-one expert help
You may return items that are complete and like new for any reason within 60 days.See the details of our return policy
Earn one point for every dollar you spend and use those points to save on future purchases.Get full details on Crutchfield Rewards
Deep discounts on car installation gear
We offer vehicle-specific installation instructions, dash kits, wiring harnesses, and speaker accessories at deeply discounted prices with car stereo and speaker purchases. Available for most vehicles.Learn more
Trusted since 1974
Our customers have trusted us with their business, and they’ve helped us win awards for our service.Check out our most recent awards
The manufacturer’s warranty always applies.See more details
7.2-channel home theater receiver with Wi-Fi®, Bluetooth® and Apple AirPlay®
Item # 158STN1030 | MFR # STRDN1030
This item is no longer available.
Our take on the Sony STR-DN1030 by Crutchfield's Marshall Chase
Sony's wireless streaming powerhouse
It's way more than an ordinary home theater receiver. Sony's STR-DN1030 sets a new benchmark for convenience when it comes to playing music from your wireless devices. AirPlay®, Bluetooth®, Wi-Fi® — it's all here, along with seven channels of amplification and cutting-edge surround sound processing.
Apple® AirPlay for iTunes® music and moreListen to iTunes? Apple's AirPlay technology lets you enjoy your music wirelessly. The STR-DN1030 has it built right in, so it's a simple matter of adding the receiver to your wireless network to access the songs in your library. You can stream your selections to the receiver from your computer or from a handheld device like an iPhone® or iPad®. Plus, AirPlay works with other audio apps on your handheld device, like Spotify® and iHeart® Radio (registration or subscription may be required). AirPlay requires a wireless home network and a connection between the receiver and network.
Your music favorites may be on your laptop or smartphone. Bluetooth wireless technology makes it easy to listen to them all without having to connect your devices to the receiver with cables. No more plugging your phone in through its headphone jack or clearing the decks to connect the computer.
Wi-Fi included — no dongle required
With built-in Wi-Fi and an Ethernet port, the 'DN1030 is ready to connect to your home network, either wirelessly or via a wired connection. Watch movies, listen to songs and view photos stored on your computer. Access a virtually limitless variety of free music via Internet radio stations streaming from around the world, or choose from a growing variety of online music services like Pandora® Internet radio or Slacker®.
Sony also offers free, downloadable apps for your iPhone or Android™ smartphone so you can use it as a convenient Wi-Fi remote. Full control is in the palm of your hand with a remote that won't get lost in the sofa cushions.
Great for movie viewing tooYou can depend on Sony's STR-DN1030 to deliver riveting surround sound with Blu-ray movies, DVDs, TV shows, and video games. It can pump out 100 watts of amplification to each of your home theater speakers, plus it has onboard processing for the latest digital surround sound formats.
Cable clutter out — sublime picture quality in
The 'DN1030's HDMI switching lets you connect up to five high-definition video components. With both audio and video signals going via HDMI, you'll have convenient single-cable connections to your compatible high-def components, and just one cable running to your TV. Plus, the 'DN1030's video processing helps you get a better picture with older video sources like a VCR or non-HD cable box: just hook them up to the receiver with analog cables, and it sends a cleaner-looking digital signal to your TV via HDMI.
Easy system setup and control
Sony knows that most rooms present acoustic hurdles that can make setting up your system in the traditional way a time-consuming hassle. That's why they've included their auto speaker calibration, which takes away the pain, making setup quick, simple, and accurate. Just plug in the included microphone, place it in your favorite seat, and the 'DN1030 automatically adjusts the volume and delay settings for each speaker. The result is precise, well-balanced home theater sound, custom-tailored for your specific room and speakers. And with Sony's intuitive on-screen menu, selecting sources and preferences is just a convenient click away.
Nice receiver. Good customer service.
Dave, Fort Walton Beach, FL
What's in the Box:
- 7.1ch AV receiver
- Wireless remote control (RM-AAP078)
- 2 "AA" batteries
- Automatic calibration microphone with attached 15' cord (terminates into a 3.5mm miniplug)
- AM loop antenna
- FM wire antenna with slip-on "F" connector
- Operating Instructions (English)
- Quick Setup Guide (En/Fr/Sp)
- GUI Menu List (Eng/Fre/Spa)
- Dock for iPod/iPhone instructions
- Warranty sheet
- On-line registration sheet
Power and Processing:
- 7-channel amplifier
- 100 watts per channel into 8 ohms (20-20,000 Hz) at 0.09% THD, with 2 channels driven
- Dolby® TrueHD, DTS-HD Master Audio decoding, Pro Logic® IIz, and Digital Cinema Sound processing
- analog-to-HDMI video upconversion (up to 1080i)
- Digital Cinema Auto Calibration for accurate and easy automatic speaker setup
Digital Music Options:
- built-in Wi-Fi and Ethernet port for easy connection to your broadband home network
- built-in Bluetooth® for wireless music streaming from your laptop or portable player
- built-in Apple AirPlay® for ultra-convenient iTunes® music playback
- front USB input for direct digital connection of your iPod®, portable music player or thumb drive
- streams music, photos, and videos from DLNA-compliant devices
- plays Internet radio stations and accesses online music services like Pandora Internet radio and Slacker
- Portable Audio Enhancer for improved sound quality with MP3s and other digital music files
- front-panel USB input for easy playback of digital music files
- dual-room/dual-source output
- line-level stereo audio output for 2nd room requires separate amplifier or powered speakers
- only analog audio sources can be played in the 2nd room
- 1080p-compatible HDMI digital video switching (5 in, 1 out)
- HDMI version 1.4a with support for 3D video, Audio Return Channel, Deep Color, x.v.Color, auto lip-sync, and HDMI-CEC
- Audio Return Channel function receives digital audio signals from a compatible HDTV's tuner via HDMI
- BRAVIA Sync for simplified operation with compatible Sony components (HDMI-CEC)
- Ethernet port
- component video switching (2 in, 1 out)
- digital audio inputs: 2 optical, 1 coaxial
- three audio/video inputs with composite video, including:
- 1 front-panel input
- 2 rear-panel inputs
- 2 audio-only inputs
- no phono input to connect a turntable you'll need to add a phono preamp
- 2 sets of main speaker outputs (use of a second set for main output limits the system to 5.1 channels in the main room)
- preamp outputs for 2 powered subwoofers
- free Sony remote app lets you use your iPod touch®, iPhone or Android device as a Wi-Fi remote
- HDMI standby pass-through allows access to all HDMI connected devices without having to power on the receiver
- advanced on-screen graphical user interface (via HDMI only)
- back surround speaker channels re-assignable for bi-amping front left and right speakers
- multibrand remote
- 60 AM/FM presets
- 16-15/16"W x 6-1/4"H x 13-1/4"D
- weight: 19.4 lbs.
- warranty: 2 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
Sony STR-DN1030 Reviews
Average Customer Review(s):
Thanks for submitting your review
Features and Specs
7.2ch AV Receiver: The Sony STR-DN1030 AV receiver is equipped with a 7-channel amplifier rated at 100 watts (into 8-ohms, at 20-20khz, with 0.09% THD, driving 2 channels) and dual subwoofer preamp outputs for a Dolby Digital/DTS home theater application. The Surround Back/Front channels provide different amplifier configurations to suit your home AV application.
- Surround Back: Allows you to enjoy high-fidelity reproduction of Dolby Digital TrueHD, Dolby Digital Plus, and DTS-HD (High-Resolution Audio or Master Audio) with 7.2 channel surround, using the Surround Back speaker channels.
- Front Height: You can enjoy vertical sound effects if you connect two additional Front-Height speakers in Dolby Pro Logic IIz mode. No Surround Back speakers in this configuration.
- B-Speakers: If you are only connecting a 5.2ch speaker system, you can use the Surround Back/Front Height/Front B channels as a Speaker B output, allowing you to place a pair of speakers in another room of the house. Speaker B can be played at the same time of Speaker A, or by itself.
- Bi-Amp: If you are not using the Surround Back/Front Height/Front B channels at all, you can connect them to your front speakers using a bi-amplifier connection (provides better sound quality for front speakers).
Digital Cinema Auto Calibration (DCAC): The Sony STR-DN1030 is equipped with Digital Cinema Auto Calibration Technology which uses the included microphone to automatically check the speaker connections, adjust the speaker output levels, calculate the distance from each speaker to the listening position, and distinguish frequency characteristics of each speaker. The microphone has an 15' cord attached that plugs into the microphone input on front of the receiver. You can also choose to manually adjust the AV receiver's speaker settings.
Auto Format Direct (A.F.D.) Mode: The Auto Format Direct (A.F.D.) mode allows you to listen to high fidelity sound and select the decoding mode for listening to a 2-channel stereo sound as multi-channel. You can set the A.F.D. mode to Auto or Multi Stereo.
- A.F.D. Auto: Presets the sound as it was recorded/encoded without adding any surround effects.
- Multi Stereo: Outputs 2-channel left/right signals from all speakers.
Dolby Digital/DTS/Dolby Pro Logic: The Sony STR-DN1030 AV receiver features Dolby Digital and DTS-HD decoding, as well as offers Dolby Pro Logic audio processing.
- Dolby Digital: Dolby Digital, Dolby, Digital EX, Dolby Digital Plus, Dolby TrueHD
- DTS: DTS, DTS-ES, DTS-HD Master Audio, DTS-HD High Resolution, DTS Express, DTS 96/24, DTS Neo: 6
- Dolby Pro Logic: Dolby Pro Logic II, Dolby Pro Logic IIx, Dolby Pro Logic IIz
Note: Dolby Digital and DTS listening modes can only be selected if your audio source is connected to the A/V preamplifier via a digital audio connection (HDMI, optical, or coaxial). To enjoy true 7.1ch Dolby Digital TrueHD and DTS-HD surround sound, the preamp must be connected to your Blu-ray player via HDMI.
HD Digital Cinema Sound (HD D.C.S): HD Digital Cinema Sound (HD-D.C.S.) is Sony's new innovative home theater technology using the latest acoustic and digital signal processing technologies. It is based on precise response measurement data of a mastering studio. With this mode, you are able to enjoy Blu-ray and DVD movies at home with not only the high quality of sound, but also the best sound ambience, just as the movie's sound engineer intended in the mastering process. You can choose from the following HD-D.C.S modes - Dynamic, Theater, Studio, Berlin Philharmonic Hall, Jazz Club, Live Concert, Stadium, Sports, Portable Audio.
Analog Direct: The receiver's Analog Direct mode outputs audio from only the front left and right speakers without any tone or DSP processing; only the volume and front speaker balance adjustments are active.
Headphone Modes: The receiver offers two distinct headphone sound modes.
- HP 2CH: Sets the receiver to power only the front left and right speakers, no surround and no subwoofer. Two channel sources bypass the sound field processing and multi channel sources are down-mixed to 2 channels.
- HP Direct: Amplifies the source without any processing, only the volume and front speaker balance adjustments are active.
D.L.L. (Digital Legato Linear): The Digital Legato Linear function is a Sony proprietary technology that allows low quality digital audio signals and analog audio signal to be played back with high quality sound.
Sound Optimizer: The Sound Optimizer lets you enjoy clear and dynamic sound at low volume levels. It automatically calibrates the sound which cannot be heard well when you turn down the volume level. After Auto Calibration is performed, the sound level is optimized to suit your environment.
Auto Volume: Auto Volume adjusts the volume automatically depending on the input signal or content from the connected equipment. This function is useful, for example, when the sound of a commercial is louder than the TV programs.
Dynamic Range Compressor: This feature allows you to compress the dynamic range of the sound track. You can select standard or maximum compression, or off (only works with Dolby Digital sources).
Equalizer: You can adjust the tonal quality (bass and treble level) of the front speakers from -6dB to +6dB, in 1dB steps.
Audio Inputs/Outputs: The Sony STR-DN1030 offers a variety of analog and digital audio inputs/outputs.
- Digital Inputs: The receiver has two optical digital inputs and one coaxial digital input (all assignable). You can choose auto decoding or PCM for the digital audio inputs. Auto will decode the signal in its original form (Dolby Digital, DTS, PCM, etc), PCM decodes the signal to 2-channel.
- Binding Post Speaker Terminals: The receiver is equipped with binding post speaker terminals for all speaker connections.
- Headphones: When headphones are plugged into the full-size 1/4" jack on the front panel, all the speakers are automatically muted. The receiver offers two distinct headphone sound modes.
7 HD Inputs: The Sony STR-DN1030 is equipped with five HD inputs. Five HDMI v.1.4 inputs (up to 1080/24p capable) let you connect a high-definition satellite receiver, Blu-ray Disc player, and game system for high definition video and audio. Two component inputs (1080/60i capable) provide added HD-capable connectivity and versatility.
- HDMI: The receiver is equipped with five HDMI v.1.4 inputs for connecting HDMI-equipped audio/video components. All five HDMI inputs are capable of carrying uncompressed digital audio and 3D 1080p video There is also an HDMI v.1.4 output which supports the ARC function that feeds audio/video signals to an HDTV.
- HD Component Video: This unit features 2 component video inputs and a component video monitor output. These jacks feature an 80 MHz bandwidth, making them capable of passing high-definition video signals.
HDMI Upconvert/Upscale (1080i): The Sony AV receiver's HDMI upconvert/upscale function improves image quality of analog connected devices to near HD. Analog connected device signals (component/composite) are converted to digital, upscaled, and output via HDMI (up to 1080i), making one cable connection from the receiver to your TV possible. Requires connection via HDMI cable (sold separately) to equivalent HDTV. Upconverted image and sound quality will vary depending on source.
3D-Ready: The Sony STR-DN1030 is compatible with 3D-ready Blu-ray disc movies, video games, and other 3D content through its HDMI (v.1.4) connections. 3D viewing requires 3D-ready source with 3D content, 3D-ready HDTV, 3D glasses, and high-speed HDMI cable. Other 3D accessories may also be needed.
HDMI Standby Pass-Through: The HDMI Standby Pass-Through feature conveniently allows you to access all your HDMI connected devices without having to power on the receiver.
24p True Cinema Mode: The 24p True Cinema Mode allows you to watch movies at their native frame rate 24p format (24 frames per second) when paired with a 24p playback device like a Blu-ray Disc Player.
x.v.Color: The AV receiver supports x.v.Color, offering a wider color range than the current broadcast standard. For the x.v.Color feature to be useful, the entire video production chain must be compatible (camera-editing-format-player-display).
Deep Color: The Sony receiver also supports Deep Color which allows the color depth of video signals passing through HDMI to be raised. The number of colors that could be expressed by 1 pixel was 24 bits (16,777,216 colors) with a standard HDMI jack. However, the number of colors which can be expressed by 1 pixel is 36 bits with a Deep Color enabled HDMI jack. Since the gradation of the depth of a color can be expressed more finely with more bits, continuous color changes can be more smoothly expressed. For the Deep Color feature to be useful, the entire video production chain must be compatible (camera-editing-format-player-display).
A/V Sync: The audio output can be delayed so that the time gap between the audio output and the visual display is minimized. This is especially helpful when you are using a large LCD or plasma TV or a projection TV. When activated, the delay can be adjusted from 0-300 ms or set to Auto.
ARC (Audio Return Channel): This feature allows audio to be sent from your compatible HDTV to your receiver through the same HDMI cable already being used to send audio and video to your HDTV. This eliminates the need for extra cables connected to your television.
Front A/V Input: The Sony AV receiver is equipped with a front-panel A/V input which consists of a composite video input and stereo audio RCA input.
Network Connection: The Sony STR-DN1030 A/V receiver features a rear-panel Ethernet (RJ-45) port and built-in WiFi that allow you to connect the receiver to your home network via a hardwired or wireless connection. By connecting the A/V receiver to your home network you are able to stream select Internet Radio services and audio/video media stored on your window-based PC to your home audio system. The Sony A/V receiver offers an on-screen setup wizard to configure the receiver to your home's network. The following system environment is required to use the network function of this receiver.
- Broadband Line Connection: A Broadband line connection to the Internet is required in order to listen to select online music services and to use the software update function of the receiver.
- Modem: This is the device that is connected to the broadband line to communicate with the Internet. Some of these devices are integrated with the router.
- Router: Use a router compatible with 100 Mbps or greater transmission speed to enjoy content on your home network. 802.11 b/g compatible wireless router for WiFi connection.
- LAN Cable (CAT5): A LAN cable (CAT5) is required for hardwired connection.
DLNA Certified Media Player: By connecting the Sony STR-DN1030 to your home's network, you can listen to music stored on your DLNA compliant PC through your home's entertainment system. The Sony STR-DN1030's media player function supports Windows-based PCs only. If you have a Windows 7-based computer, use the Windows Media Player 12 bundled with Windows 7. If you have a Windows XP or Windows Vista-based computer, install Windows Media Player 11 software. The receiver supports the following media files.
|Linear PCM||Sampling Rate: 44.1, 48 kHz,
|MP3||Sampling Rate: 32, 44.1, 48 kHz
Bit Rate: 32-320 kbps
|WMA||Sampling Rate: up to 48 kHz
Bit Rate: up to 385 kbps
|AAC||Sampling Rate: 8, 11.025, 12, 16,
22.05, 24, 32, 44.1, 48 kHz
Bit Rate: up to 576 kbps
Party Streaming: You can play music in other rooms simultaneously by connecting Sony products which are compatible with DLNA and the Party Streaming function.
Music Services: You can listen to select music services offered on the internet with this receiver. You'll be able to enjoy some of the web's most popular internet radio services; vTuner, Music Unlimited, Pandora, and Slacker (as of 7/24/2012). The STR-DN1030 will display station name and program-related information on your TV, via the receiver's on-screen menu (HDMI only). You can store up to 20 of your favorite internet radio stations.
|Online Music Services||Description|
|vTuner||The Sony A/V Receiver uses the free online vTuner service to allow easy browsing of internet radio stations and podcasts. vTuner enables access to web-based radio stations and podcasts via an extremely reliable online database with a wide variety of content. You can browse content by Genre, Location, Language, and Favorites.|
|Music Unlimited||Music Unlimited offers you unlimited access to millions of songs from every major label. Forget syncing MP3 files across multiple devices; simply connect to the cloud to instantly experience the music you love anytime, anyplace. Enjoy timeless favorites or dare to try something new; all without paying for each track or album.|
|Pandora||Free, personalized internet radio playing only music you love. Pandora brings an effortless personal soundtrack into your living room. Enter your favorite artists and enjoy stations created just for you. Rate songs as they play, because Pandora caters to your tastes and adapts stations to your feedback on the spot.|
|Slacker||Slacker is a free personalized radio service with millions of songs from thousands of artists. Simply select your favorite type of music from one of over 120 expert-programmed genre stations. As you listen, give feedback and the station becomes personalized just for you.|
Note: Broadband Internet connection required. Audio quality will vary and is dependent upon broadband speed and delivery by content provider. Select content provided subject to change. Premium content may require additional fees, a subscription, and/or PC registration.
AM/FM Tuner: The STR-DN1030 has 30 presets each for AM and FM for a total of 60. In addition to preset and auto tuning, stations can be tuned directly by frequency. Each preset station can be given an 8 character name.
Software Update: By downloading the latest version of software from Sony, you can take advantage of the newest functions. The receiver accesses the Sony server to update the software through its hardwired network connection. The A/V receiver tested featured software version s9025.1035.0 (as of 7/24/2012). Visit the Sony eSuport website for the latest software updates.
Sony Compatible USB Port: You can enjoy music from select Sony USB devices (Walkman/MicroVault/NWZ-series) by connecting the device to the receiver's front-panel USB (type-A) port. The Sony USB device must be formatted with FAT16 or FAT32. You can playback the following music files - MP3 (32-320 kbps), WMA (48-192 kbps), and AAC (48-320 kbps). The receiver can recognize up to 100 folders and 100 audio files in each folder, per device. You are able to control Play/Pause, Stop, Fast Forward/Rewind, Skip (previous/next), and Folder (up/down) functions of your connected Sony USB device. The receiver will also charge your Sony USB device while connected to the front-panel USB port (0.5A).
Note: See page 55 of the AV receiver's Operating Instructions for compatible Sony USB devices (Walkman/MicroVault/NWZ-series). Other USB devices cannot be used on this receiver.
iPod/iPhone/iPad Connection: The Sony STR-DN1030 supports audio & video playback of your iPod, iPhone, or iPad through its front-panel USB port and AV input.
- Audio Playback: The USB (type-A) port on the front-panel provides convenient connection for your iPod, iPhone, or iPad. The USB connection means that the digital audio signal from your iPod, iPhone, or iPad is transmitted directly to the system, minimizing noise interference and allowing use of the receiver's DAC, not the DAC in your Apple device. This results in more precise sound reproduction. You can navigate your iPod/iPhone's music via the system's on-screen menu and remote control, or continue to use your iPod/iPhone's clickwheel or touchscreen. You can browse your iPod/iPhone's music content via Playlist, Artist, Album, Song, Genre, Composer, Podcast, or Audiobook. You can also control Repeat & Shuffle functions. Song/artist information and Album Art will display on your connected TV. Your iPod/iPhone's battery will be charged (max. 0.5A) while connected.
- Video Playback: The Sony STR-DN1030's front-panel USB port and front-panel A/V input can be combined to watch video from select iPods/iPhones/iPads through Apple's composite AV cable (sold separately). Your iPod/iPhone's video will be upconverted from the receiver's front-panel composite video input to the receiver HDMI output to your connected TV. You can access Movies, Music Videos, TV Shows, Video Podcasts, and Rented Movies stored on your iPod/iPhone using the receiver's on-screen menu and IR remote control.
AirPlay Compatible: AirPlay lets you stream your favorite songs directly from your iPod touch, iPhone, and iPad, or from your iTunes library on your PC or Mac to the Sony STR-DN1030, over your home network connection. By downloading Apple's free "Remote" application onto your iPod touch, iPhone, or iPad you don't even need to be in the same room as the components or your computer to play, pause, skip, and stop the songs in your iTunes music library. You will even see the iTunes music information, including your track titles and artist info via the Sony receiver's on-screen menu (via HDMI).
Note: To use the AirPlay feature you need a Mac or Windows-based PC running iTunes (10.1 or later) connected to your wireless home network. Your iPod touch, iPhone, and iPad must have iOS 4.2 or later installed and connected to the same wireless home network.
iPod/iPhone Compatibility Chart: The Sony STR-DN1030 AV receiver supports the following iPod/iPhone models and functions (as of 1/14/2013):
|iPod/iPhone Model||Generation||Tested Version||Media Type||Control Type||Display Type||AirPlay||Charge|
|Audio||Video||Remote||iPod/iPhone||Album Art||Artist/Song Text||Track Info|
Note: Apple iPod/iPhone software updates may change functionality results. If you download a newer software version, you may need to reset the unit and your iPod/iPhone to regain functionality. If this doesn't work, you may need to wait until a newer software update is available.
On-Screen Menu (via HDMI): You can display the receiver's on-screen menu on your HDMI connected TV screen and select the function you want to use from the on-screen menu using the included IR remote control. If your TV is connected to the composite video or component video monitor output, you will need to use the AV receiver's front-panel display when changing settings.
Dual Zone: In addition to the main listening room, you can also enjoy audio playback from a different source in another room (Zone 2) of your home using the receiver's Zone 2 Line Output. By using the Zone 2 line-level outputs on the Sony STR-DN1030, you can connect an external receiver or integrated amplifier, allowing you to still listen to 7.1ch surround in the main room and 2ch stereo playback of a different audio source in another room of your home. The volume of the secondary zone is controlled by your Zone 2's integrated amplifier.
- Compatible Zone Sources: Only Tuner and Analog input sources are processed through Zone 2. You cannot select different AM/FM radio stations for your main room and Zone 2.
- Incompatible Zone Sources: Optical/coaxial digital, HDMI, Network, USB, AirPlay, Bluetooth, and video sources are not output to Zone 2.
Built-in Bluetooth: The Sony STR-DN1030 offers built-in Bluetooth version 2.1 + EDR with support for A2DP (Advanced Audio Distribution Profile) and AVRCP 1.3 (Audio Video Remote Control Profile). You can stream audio from your Bluetooth enabled mobile phone to the Sony STR-DN1030 and control basic playback functions (such as Play/Pause, Stop, Fast Forward/Reverse, Next/Previous Track) from the A/V receiver's remote control. Metadata (song/artist information) is not transferred via Bluetooth. You can pair up to 9 Bluetooth devices with the STR-DN1030 (but only one can be used at a time).
Note: Due to the differences in Bluetooth technology, some Bluetooth enabled devices may be incompatible, function improperly, or may not support all features when used with the Sony STR-DN1030.
Input Naming: You can enter a name of up to 8 characters for each of the receiver's inputs (except Tuner) and display the name on its display. This is convenient for labeling the jacks with the names of your connected components.
Input Mode: When you connect components to both digital and analog audio input jacks on the receiver, you can fix the audio input mode to either of them, or switch from one to the other, depending on the type of material you intend to watch.
Sleep Timer: The unit may be set to automatically turn off after 30, 60, 90, or 120 minutes.
Dimmer: You can adjust the brightness of the display in 3 steps; Dim Max, Dim Mid, and Dim Off.
Auto Standby: Auto Standby lets you set the receiver switch to standby mode automatically after 30 minutes when you do not operate the receiver or when there is no signal input to the receiver.
Multibrand Remote: The supplied remote (RM-AAP078) is pre-coded to control this Sony receiver, Sony TVs, Sony CD players, Sony DVD players and recorders, and Sony Blu-ray disc players and recorders. You can also program this remote to control non-Sony audio/video components. You can also change the initial settings of the input buttons on the remote control to suit the components in your system.
Bravia Theater Sync: Sony's Bravia Theater Sync feature allows you to easily manage select BRAVIA televisions and Sony HDMI audio and video components with a single remote. By connecting Sony components that are compatible with the HDMI Control function with a HDMI cable, operation is simplified in the following ways.
- One-Touch-Play: When you playback a component such as a DVD/Blu-ray Disc Player, the receiver and the TV are turned on automatically and switch to the appropriate HDMI input.
- System Audio Control: While watching TV, you can select to output the sound from the TV speaker or the speakers connected to the receiver.
- System Power Off: When you turn off the TV, the receiver and connected components are also turned off simultaneously.
- Theater Mode Sync: Allows you to switch the AV receiver's Theater mode from the receiver's, TV, or connected Blu-ray disc player's remote control, while pointing the remote toward your television.
Remote App Control: Download Sony's free Media Remote and Network Audio Remote apps from the iTunes or Google play app stores and use your compatible Apple iOS or Android device to control volume, inputs and receiver function with the Media Remote app; and control your network music with the Network Audio Remote app.
- Apple iOS Remote Apps: Media Remote App + Network Audio Remote App (compatible with iPod touch, iPhone, and iPad; requires iOS 4.2 or later)
- Android Remote Apps: Media Remote App + Network Audio Remote App (compatible with Android 2.2-up)
Note: The Media & Network Audio Remote apps require that the Sony A/V receiver and your Apple iOS, Android, or Sony remote device be connected to the same wireless network with the remote device connected through an 802.11 access point (802.11n recommended).
IR In/Out: The Sony AV receiver is equipped with a 3.5mm IR input/output which accepts IR repeater systems, enabling you to operate components connected to the receiver behind a closed door or controlling the receiver's Zone 2.
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.