Why Choose Crutchfield?
Great gear and expert advice
Our experts help you pick the ideal gear for your needs.Meet our advisors
Free tech support for the life of your gear.Read about our one-on-one expert help
You may return items that are complete and like new for any reason within 60 days.See the details of our return policy
Earn one point for every dollar you spend and use those points to save on future purchases.Get full details on Crutchfield Rewards
Deep discounts on car installation gear
We offer vehicle-specific installation instructions, dash kits, wiring harnesses, and speaker accessories at deeply discounted prices with car stereo and speaker purchases. Available for most vehicles.Learn more
Trusted since 1974
Our customers have trusted us with their business, and they’ve helped us win awards for our service.Check out our most recent awards
The manufacturer’s warranty always applies.See more details
Sony Tablet S, 32GB
Tablet with 9.4" touchscreen
From Sony: Tablet S
Item # 158TAB329 | MFR # SGPT112US/S
This item is no longer available.
Our take on the Sony Tablet S, 32GB by Crutchfield's Meredith Krebs
With the Sony Tablet S, you can control your A/V system, queue up movies and shows to watch on your TV, and beam your music to a Bluetooth® speaker system. Or you can settle down on the couch with your tablet and read an eBook, send an email, surf the net, play a game, fire off a tweet, or hear some tunes. The possibilities are endless.
I had a chance to play with the Sony tablet for a few days, and put it through its paces. I have an Android smartphone, so I quickly felt comfortable with the interface and using the available apps. The tablet is responsive and quick — no long waits for apps to open. The screen was built with the same TruBlack display technology Sony uses on their LCD TVs, so the contrast ratio makes the images really pop and the colors are vivid.
How it looks
The Sony Tablet S doesn't lay flat like other tablets, but has a curved back to make it look more like a notebook. This keeps the tablet at an angle on flat surfaces, which makes it easier to type. The design makes it look a little thicker than some tablets, but it also makes it more comfortable to hold in your hand. The power button is tucked in on the right side so there's no danger you'll accidentally turn the tablet off in the middle of an activity.
Control all your devices
The Sony Tablet S is the only tablet available right now with a universal IR remote. I was curious to see this feature in action, so I took the tablet to the Crutchfield Labs to test it out. I found the setup simple and intuitive. First I selected the brand and the category from pull down menus ("Sony" and "TV," for instance), and a moment later could turn on the television and start controlling it with the tablet. I changed channels, went into the menu, and did everything I could have done with the regular remote. I repeated the process with Panasonic and Samsung TVs in the lab with similar results. I also tried it out with a Denon Blu-ray player, and was watching a movie on the television a few minutes later. This is a great option for anyone who wants to get rid of all the remotes cluttering up their coffee table.
Entertainment options galore
Sony has a real leg up on the competition when it comes to content. The tablet comes with several games already loaded, and is the only tablet that is PlayStation® certified. The Sony Entertainment Network for music, books, movies and games is unmatched, and you can bet Sony will continue to expand all the options and available apps.
What's in the Box:
- Sony tablet (32GB)
- AC power adapter (with attached 5.5' DC cord)
- 5' AC Power cord
- Quick Start Guide
- Instruction Diagram
- End User License Agreement
- Important Information
- Limited Warranty Statement
- 9.4" touchscreen tablet
- 32GB flash memory for storage
- Wi-Fi® only (no mobile contract necessary)
- built-in universal IR remote controls Sony products, as well as other TVs, Blu-ray players, stereos and cable boxes
- DLNA Certified® to share content with PCs and Wi-Fi®-enabled devices
- Bluetooth® 2.1 connects wirelessly to compatible speakers, stereos, and components
- includes subscription for free full-length movies and TV shows from Crackle
- includes several preloaded PlayStation games
- download apps like Rhapsody®, PANDORA®, and Spotify to stream music from Internet services (subscription may be required)
- access to Sony's Music Unlimited and Video Unlimited services (subscription may be required)
- thousands of apps available from the Android Market
- display resolution: 1280 x 800 pixels
- 5.0MP rear camera for taking photographs, 0.3MP front camera for self-portraits and Skype™
- headphone output
- micro-USB port
- SD card slot
- operating system: Android 3.1 Honeycomb
- battery life: up to 8 hours (approximately)
- includes charger and wrist strap
- 9-1/2"H x 6-15/16"W x 7/8"D
- weight: 21 oz.
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
Sony Tablet S, 32GB Reviews
Average Customer Review(s):
Thanks for submitting your review
Features and Specs
|Screen Size (inches)||9-7/16|
|Screen Resolution||1280 x 800|
|Operating System||Android Honeycomb|
|CPU Type||Dual Core|
|CPU Speed||1.0 GHz|
|Battery Life (hours)||8|
|Front Camera (megapixels)||0.3|
|Rear Camera (megapixels)||5.0|
|System Memory (RAM)||1GB|
|Memory Cards Supported||SD/SDHC|
|Parts Warranty||1 Year|
|Labor Warranty||1 Year|
Sony Tablet S: The Sony Tablet S has been engineered & optimized to bring you fast web browsing, through the latest Android platform, a responsive touch panel, and an exceptionally intuitive user interface. The Sony Tablet S offers a comfortable design that fits perfectly in the palm of your hands. You can access PlayStation games, Reader eBooks, plus music and new release movies from Sony Music Unlimited & Sony Video Unlimited. The Sony Tablet S even lets download various entertainment apps from the Android Market & offers GPS navigation via Google Maps. You can also use the Sony Tablet S to control your home entertainment components with its built-in universal & media remote function. In addition, you can share, view, and transfer personal video, photos, & music to your DLNA compatible PC, TV, or speaker system.
Note: The Sony Tablet S is available in a 16GB & 32GB version.
Processor Type: The Sony Tablet S is equipped with a 1GHz Dual-Core NVIDIA Tegra 2 Mobile Processor for faster web browsing & downloads.
Operating System: The Sony Tablet S comes with Android Honeycomb v3.1 operating system (out of the box). Android v3.2 is available for download (as of 11/22/2011).
Firmware/Software Updates: Occasionally, Sony may release updated firmware/software for this unit that may add or improve the way a feature operates. These updates are available free of charge. This unit is capable of checking for & downloading new firmware/software when connected to the Internet via a WiFi connection.
Note: Visit the Sony eSupport Site for the latest software, firmware, & OS updates.
Wi-Fi Certified: The Sony Tablet S features built-in Wi-Fi to access the Internet from your home network or public hotspots. The tablet is WiFi IEEE 802.11 b/g/n certified.
Note: The Wi-Fi checker app enables you to check the Wi-Fi connection of the tablet device when a connection problem occurs.
DLNA Certified: With cross-connectivity between the Sony Tablet S and DLNA-compatible TVs, PCs, or speaker systems; it's easy to share your content. The Sony Tablet S lets you wirelessly share, view, and transfer personal video, photos, & music to your DLNA compatible TV or speaker system. You can also enjoy your pictures, music, & personal videos stored on your computer via the tablet, over a WiFi (wireless) connection.
Note: Certain audio/video formats & copy protected content are not supported.
App Compatible: The Sony Tablet S comes with select pre-installed apps & also allows you to download additional apps from the Android Market. These convenient & fun apps are introduced in an easy-to-understand manner on the unit's LCD touchscreen. This way, you can search for & acquire various apps easily right from the tablet.
Note: The Select App function allows you to access a website that introduces a select range of apps a for use with the Sony Tablet S.
GPS: The GPS (Global Positioning System) function provides location information by receiving signals from GPS satellites. You can see the location where you are, where you are going, or directions to a destination on Google Maps with the tablet device by using the GPS function.
Note: The GPS antenna is built in to the tablet device. If you cover the antenna with your hands or other objects while using the GPS function, the positioning accuracy may deteriorate.
Bluetooth Technology: The Sony Tablet S features built-in Bluetooth (version 2.1 + EDR). You can establish wireless communications between the Sony Tablet S device & other Bluetooth-enabled devices such as a computer, mobile phone, headset, or Bluetooth headphone for audio streaming. You can transfer audio data between these devices without cables at a range of up to 33' in an open area. The Sony Tablet S can pair with up to seven devices.
Sample Data: Sample data is installed on the Sony Tablet S at the factory for a trial of music, videos, photos, or books. Once you delete the sample data, you cannot restore it.
Sony's TruBlack Panel LCD Touchscreen: The Sony Tablet S is outfitted with a 9.4" WXGA (1280 x 800) TFT color LCD touchscreen, with Sony's TruBlack panel technology. By controlling the refraction of light between the LCD and the screen, Sony's TruBlack panel provides more vibrant colors, deeper blacks, and an amazing image. The 9.4" touchscreen also provides responsive touch commands such as Tap, Tap & Hold, Drag, Flick, & Pinch.
Note: The screen rotates when you turn your tablet to a "portrait" or "landscape" orientation. You can also adjust the screen's brightness.
Ergonomic Design: Boasting a unique form factor, the Sony Tablet S is ergonomically designed to carry & use for long periods of time. Its center of gravity shifts the device's weight closer to your palm, making it feel lighter & more comfortable while reading a book, or watching a video. The design also provides a more natural angle for typing when set flat on a table.
Home Screen: The Home Screen consists of five pages that you can flick through (left/right). The Home Screen can be customized with Favorites & Widgets.
- Favorites: In Favorites, thumbnails for websites you frequently visit, and content such as videos, photos, music, books, or games you have registered as favorites are displayed together. Since you can see all your registered content items at once, you can start the desired content with one tap, without starting/ending apps repeatedly.
- Widgets: A widget is a mini-application you can place on the tablet's Home screen. If an app is supplied with a widget, you can place the widget on the Home screen so that you can operate the app from the Home screen easily.
Application Launcher: The application launcher displays the icons of all available apps, allowing you to tap the icon to start an app. You can scroll the screen up & down by flicking it. You can also sort the order of icons.
On-Screen Keyboard: The Sony Tablet S features a virtual on-screen keyboard which allows you to type in text for certain applications.
Locking Screen: You can lock the screen of the tablet to prevent accidental touching of the screen from activating operations. If you activate the lock function, the screen is locked when the screen is turned off.
Sony Entertainment Network: The Sony Entertainment Network puts a variety of online entertainment content at your fingertips. Using Sony Video Unlimited, you can access tons of hit movies to rent or own. Or, you can tap into millions of songs from every major music label through Sony Music Unlimited.
- Video Unlimited: Video Unlimited is your ticket to instant entertainment. Featuring a catalog of the latest releases from every major studio to rent or own, Video Unlimited offers you instant access to hit movies direct to your living room. Now you can download your favorite videos to your tablet device and watch them anytime, anywhere.
- Music Unlimited: Music Unlimited offers you instant access to millions of songs from every major label. Upload your personal library for access anytime, anywhere; or discover new favorites with automatic recommendations based on your unique listening habits. Requires monthly subscription.
Video Player: The Video player app allows you to play back video content stored on the tablet device or the home network. You can also send video content to another DLNA certified device and play it back on that device. Detailed information of the current video will be displayed. You can also search for specific scenes.
Music Player The Music player app allows you to play back music content stored on the tablet device or the home network. You can also send music content to another DLNA certified device and play it back on that device. The detailed information of the current album or song can be searched or displayed, & you can add cover art or lyrics to the content. You can also adjust EQ settings to your listening preference. You can even apply Sony's SensMe 12 TONE ANALYSIS to your music content for an even better listening experience.
Gallery: The Gallery app allows you to show or play back photos in your tablet device or Picasa web albums. You can send photos to another DLNA certified device and play them back on that device, and you can also easily post photos to network services to share them.
Personal Space: Share your personal photos & videos securely and privately with your family and friends on the Personal Space site by Sony. Just choose from the tablet's Gallery or shoot something new with the built-in camera. No more troublesome email attachments, resizing, or manual encoding. Sharing Groups let your you and your friends and family view an ongoing feed of shared content from the web, smartphones, and other connected devices.
Sony Reader Store: With Sony Tablet S, you can take your favorite eBooks on the go. Access bestsellers, new releases, magazines, comics & more from over 2 million titles available at Reader Store from Sony. The intuitive design is ideal for on-the-go reading, allowing you to bookmark, highlight, a& adjust font size as you read. You can even sync these items with other compatible devices. Purchasing content is made easy from the online Sony Reader Store. In countries where you cannot purchase from the Reader Store, you can still enjoy books on the tablet device by installing them from a memory card (books without copy-protection only).
PlayStation Certified: Have even more fun on the go playing action-packed games you know & love from the original PlayStation format (1st gen) on the Sony Tablet S. You get a full-scale game experience using the tablet's 9.4" LCD touchscreen. The Sony Tablet S is the first PlayStation Certified tablet that provides out-of-the-box gaming with PlayStation favorites Crash Bandicoot & Pinball Heroes pre-installed; plus you can download more classic PlayStation (1st gen) game titles online.
Social Feed Reader: The Social Feed Reader app enables you to access SNS (Social Networking Services) such as Twitter or Facebook. Posts (articles) on multiple services are displayed together on the same screen. You can also write the same post on multiple services simultaneously. Day-to-day operations such as posting, replying, clicking the "Like" button or re-tweeting can be performed with the same ease of use.
Remote Apps: The Sony Tablet S lets you operate your various A/V component via its pre-loaded Remote apps.
- Remote Control: Whether it's your TV, Blu-ray Disc player, stereo or cable box, you can control all of them right from the Sony Tablet S, via IR (infrared). The built-in universal remote function not only controls Sony products, but lots of other brands, too. It's the only tablet with a built-in universal remote that controls a variety of brands. Not all manufacturer remote codes & products supported. The tablet can be taught commands from IR based remote control products only.
- MediaRemote: MediaRemote is a Wi-Fi remote control app that can be used with devices such as Sony BRAVIA TVs and Blu-ray Disc players. Enabling more than just conventional remote control operations, MediaRemote has various functions such as keyboard entry & content information display, allowing you to use and enjoy Sony devices easier.
Android Market Compatible: With access to the Android Market, you can browse through thousands of useful, time-saving & entertaining apps. Once you found the app you want, you can then download to the Sony Tablet S. Download entertainment apps such as YouTube, Netflix, Pandora, iHeartRadio, Rhapsody, & more.
Note: Certain apps may not be compatible. All apps not available in all countries/regions.
Pre-Installed Android Apps: The Sony Tablet S comes with various preloaded apps from the Android Market.
- Crackle: Crackle lets you watch full-length uncut Hollywood movies & TV shows on the tablet device, for Free. Over 250 movies & 1,000 TV episodes are available.
- Ustream: Ustream powers live video that enables anyone to watch and interact with a global audience. With Ustream for Android, broadcast at a moment's notice and never miss a beat on your favorite shows. Watch live events, RSVP for upcoming events, catch up on recent broadcasts, and share with your social networks on the go.
- Zinio: Zinio is the world's premier high fidelity mobile reading experience, with the best magazines from around the world, in pure digital form. Zinio lets you read and share articles from top titles, buy digital subscriptions or single issues, and manage your library on multiple devices.
- Evernote: Evernote turns the tablet device into an extension of your brain. This award-winning app lets you remember and recall anything that happens in your life. From notes to ideas to snapshots to recordings, put everything into Evernote and watch as it all instantly synchronizes from the tablet device to the Web to your PC.
- Foursquare: Foursquare helps you explore the world around you. Keep up with friends, get insider tips, and unlock discounts and rewards. While on the go, you can easily tell friends where you are, share pictures, get their comments and get insider tips. Tons of places offer discounts and freebies to Foursquare users, and you earn points and badges for doing the things you love.
- Chumby: Chumby turns the tablet device into a screensaver by streaming your online photo albums, social updates, weather and more. Chumby provides you with over 1500 free apps you can personalize to play in your own channels. Lean back and let Chumby entertain you, or tap the screen to interact.
Google Services: The Sony Tablet S includes the following Google services. You can also download additional Good apps from the Android Market.
- Google Search: The Google Search app is the fastest way to search the web from the tablet.
- Voice Search: The Google Voice Search app lets you browse the web via voice commands (English only).
- Gmail: The Gmail app gives you access to your Gmail account from the tablet.
- Google Maps: The Google Maps app provides a free voice-guided GPS navigation system with 3D maps, POIs, & audible/visual directions.
- Google Music: Shop music on the Android Market and listen instantly using the Google Music app. Google Music is a cloud-powered music player and storage service that lets you keep your music collection online so you can save space on the tablet device.
- YouTube: The YouTube app lets you discover, watch, & share originally-created videos on YouTube.
Note: You are required to sign up for a Google account to use services provided by Google, such as Gmail, calendar, & Android Market. Those services are provided free of charge. Using the Google account, you can sync apps, such as Gmail, Calendar, & Contacts, on the tablet device with those of their respective Google services.
HD Games: Download high quality games to the tablet device from the Top HD Games at Gameloft's online store. Choose from hit titles such as Asphalt 6, Real Football 2011, & N.O.V.A. 2 (Near Orbit Vanguard Alliance).
Browser: The Browser app lets you access & browse websites on the Internet. You can even display/switch between multiple websites by using tabs.
Note: Certain websites may not be displayed, because the browser does not support the photo/movie format or plug-in.
Email: You can compose, send & receive e-mail messages in the same format as used on computers. You can register multiple e-mail accounts. Your contacts list can be used to add the recipient address when composing a new e-mail message. You can also search or sort received e-mail messages.
Dual Cameras: You can shoot photos and movies using the built-in front (0.3 MP) & rear (5.0 MP) cameras on the Sony Tablet S. Various shooting settings such as image size are available.
Microphone (with built-in Voice Recognition): The Sony Tablet S is fitted with an integrated microphone for voice communication apps. You can speak voice commands to browse web pages, navigate, & more.
Built-In Speaker: The Sony Tablet S features a built-in speaker so you can listen to your movies, games, & other apps directly from the tablet.
Contacts: You can register names, phone numbers, & addresses as frequently used contacts. By registering your Google account, you can sync contacts with Gmail contacts, making them even more accessible.
Calendar: You can manage your schedule on the tablet device. By registering your Google account, you can sync your Google calendar and your schedule data, making your schedule even more handy.
Desk Clock: The clock is easy-to-see even from a distance and has a background that changes according to the time. You can use the tablet device as a desk clock by placing it on a designated Sony cradle (SGPDS1, sold separately).
Calculator: You can use your tablet device as a calculator. In addition to four arithmetic operations of addition, subtraction, multiplication and division; a trigonometric function, exponent function, and logarithm are available
Media Go: Media Go is computer software that supports content management and transfer between the tablet device and your computer. By installing Media Go in your computer, you can transfer music, photos, & videos to the tablet device. You can copy and store the following data with the tablet device for backup.
- Music/movie/eBook files without copyright protection
- Game image data
File Transfer: The File transfer app enables you to transfer data between the tablet's internal memory and an SD memory card, as well as between the internal memory and recording media connected to the micro-USB connector.
Backup: You should copy the data in the tablet device and store it on another storage device (backup). Various data, such as recorded images, downloaded music & video content, will be accumulated in your tablet device as you use it. If unexpected problems occur with the tablet device, that data may be damaged or lost. As a preventive measure in case of such accidents, you should make frequent backups so you will be able to restore your precious data.
Headphone Output: The Sony Tablet S is fitted with a 3.5mm headphone jack to connect a set of headphones. The tablet's built-in speakers will be muted when a set of headphones are connected.
SD Card Slot: The Sony Tablet S is equipped with an SD memory card slot. You can use this slot to transfer data to and from digital cameras, camcorders, music players, & other audio/video devices. In order for the tablet to recognize an SD/SDHC memory card, the card must be formatted in the FAT32 file system. The SD/SDHC memory card can be formatted in the FAT32 file system using a computer.
Note: SD memory cards (up to 2 GB) & SDHC memory cards (up to 32 GB) available as of September 2011 have been tested and found compatible with the tablet device. However, this does not guarantee that all SD memory cards or SDHC memory cards will be compatible.
micro-USB Port: The Sony Tablet S is equipped with a micro-USB connector. You can use this port to connect the tablet device to your computer via USB (USB cable sold separately). If you connect a computer to your tablet device using the micro-USB cable sold separately, you can copy data on a computer to your tablet device. The copied data can then be played back on the tablet device.
Note: Charging the battery via USB is not supported when the tablet device is connected to a computer or a USB charger.
Rechargeable Battery: The Sony Tablet S includes an integrated rechargeable Lithium-ion battery (5000mAh). With the Sony Tablet S you can enjoy up to approximately 8 hours of battery life to surf the web, play games, listen to music, or watch movies. The integrated Lithium-ion battery can be recharged using the supplied AC power adapter & cord. Battery charging time is approximately 5 hours.
|when Playing Music||31|
|when Playing Video||6|
|when browsing Web||6.2|
Battery Note: Battery life is based on Sony engineering testing consisting of full battery discharge at default settings while performing the following tasks: video playback, audio playback, & web browsing using Wi-Fi. Video content was a repeated pre-installed movie. Audio content was a playlist of songs imported from CDs (128-Kbps MP3 encoding). Web browsing was conducted loading snapshots of 20 popular web pages at 20 second intervals from dedicated servers. Actual performance may vary based on settings, environmental conditions, wireless connectivity, & other factors. Maximum battery capacity will normally decrease with time & use.
AC Power Supply: The Sony Tablet S comes with an AC power supply to power the device & to charge the internal battery.
- Input: 100-240V~50/60Hz
- Output: 10.5V - 2.9A
Compatible Formats: Playable formats will vary depending on the app or content used. Some files may not be playable on the Sony Tablet S.
|Format/Codec||Profile||Maximum Resolution||Maximum Bit Rate (Mbps)||Extension|
|H.263||Profile0||704 x 576 (4CIF)||4||.mp4, .3gp|
|H.264/AVC||Baseline Profile||1920 x 1080||18||.mp4, .m4v, .3gp|
|MPEG-4||Simple Profile/Advanced Simple Profile||1920 x 1080||10||.mp4, m4v, .3gp|
|WMV||Simple Profile/Main Profile||1920 x 1080||20||.wmv|
|Format/Codec||Sampling Rate (kHz)||Maximum Bit Rate (kbps)||Extension|
|AAC||up to 48||160||.m4a, .mp4, .3gp|
|MP3||up to 48||320||.mp3|
|FLAC||up to 48||---||.flac|
|Vorbis||up to 48||256||.ogg|
|Format/Codec||Maximum Resolution (Pixels)||Extension|
|JPEG||6048 x 4032||.jpg|
|GIF||2000 x 2000||.gif|
|PNG||2000 x 2000||.png|
|BMP||2000 x 2000||.bmp|
|WBMP||2000 x 2000||.wbmp|
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.