Why Choose Crutchfield?
Great gear and expert advice
Our experts help you pick the ideal gear for your needs.Meet our advisors
Free tech support for the life of your gear.Read about our one-on-one expert help
You may return items that are complete and like new for any reason within 60 days.See the details of our return policy
Earn one point for every dollar you spend and use those points to save on future purchases.Get full details on Crutchfield Rewards
Deep discounts on car installation gear
We offer vehicle-specific installation instructions, dash kits, wiring harnesses, and speaker accessories at deeply discounted prices with car stereo and speaker purchases. Available for most vehicles.Learn more
Trusted since 1974
Our customers have trusted us with their business, and they’ve helped us win awards for our service.Check out our most recent awards
The manufacturer’s warranty always applies.See more details
DVD receiver (New Stock)
Our take on the Sony XAV-63 by Crutchfield's Ken Nail
Sony video in your car
You trust Sony to provide outstanding in-home video products, so why not enjoy the same quality in your car? Their XAV-63 DVD receiver will serve as your mobile A/V center, with a high-resolution 6.1" touchscreen that offers outstanding video performance and great system control.
iPod® and iPhone® control
You can plug your iPod into the receiver's front USB input for direct control and playback of audio files. Sony's RC-202IPV cable allows you to enjoy playback of video content from your iPod or iPhone, along with info from compatible apps. Slide a DVD into the front slot to enjoy movies or videos when you're parked, or insert a CD or DVD loaded with MP3, WMA, or AAC music files for hours of audio entertainment.
SensMe™ makes finding music fun
Once you've installed the supplied SensMe software on your Windows PC or laptop, you can use it to analyze and group the music stored on your iPod or USB memory device. Plug your device into the XAV-63, and you'll be able to choose music based on mood, time of day, music type, or even your driving type.
Sophisticated sound controls
Factory radios often lack clarity and power — no such problem with this Sony. Its powerful amp combines with advanced circuitry to make your discs and digital music files sound their best. You can adjust the EQ7 7-band equalizer to optimize the acoustics in your vehicle, or use the built-in digital signal processing for more sophisticated audio adjustments.
Great sound for video
Sony's Advanced Sound Engine (ASE) brings your DVD's multi-channel soundtrack to life in your vehicle. The Intelligent Time Alignment system creates perfectly balanced sound, while the Center Speaker Optimizer (CSO) creates a virtual center channel for a true-to-life 5.1 listening experience.
Add on to your system
For more listening options, this receiver works with Sony's HD Radio™ tuner or satellite radio. If you're putting together a heavyweight system with external amps, you'll appreciate the multiple preamp outputs and built-in high- and low-pass filters.
Want to keep your car's steering wheel audio controls?
In most vehicles, you can use an adapter (not included) to connect your vehicle's steering wheel controls to this Sony stereo. Connect a few wires, then program the adapter for your particular car and the Sony, and you'll retain the convenience of your steering wheel controls.
Note: If you're going to use your iPod with this receiver, be sure to check "Details" for specific iPod model compatibility with this receiver.
Looks good and plays movies great. Display is clear and controls are really easy to use.
What's in the Box:
- Double-din DVD receiver with integrated 6.1" monitor (10A ATC fuse inserted in chassis)
- Wiring harness
- 8 ISO mounting screws
- Operating Instructions (Eng/Fre/Spa)
- Installation/Connections booklet (Eng/Fre/Spa)
- US Limited Warranty sheet
- Canada Consumer 1 Year Warranty
- DVD receiver with AM/FM tuner
- built-in amplifier (17 watts RMS CEA-2006/52 peak x 4 channels)
- 6.1" touchscreen with adjustable screen angles
- app controls
- fits double-DIN (4" tall) dash openings
- plays CDs, DVDs, and USB memory devices
- Sony SensMe technology organizes your music (external computer required for setup)
- EQ7 7-band equalizer
- Advanced Sound Engine (ASE) features Intelligent Time Alignment (ITA), plus Center Speaker Optimizer (CSO) for a virtual center channel
- high- and low-pass filters
- iPod control: Sony adapter cable required for full access to audio/video content
- compatible with Sony HD Radio tuner and satellite radio
- inputs: front USB input, two A/V inputs (front and rear), rear-view camera input
- outputs: rear video, 4-channel preamp outputs (2-volt front, rear/sub)
Sony XAV-63 Reviews
Average Customer Review(s):
Thanks for submitting your review
Features and Specs
|AUX Input||3.5mm AV (front)|
|Audio/video Input||3.5mm (F), Composite (r)|
|Memory Card Slot||USB memory|
|Satellite Radio Ready||Sirius|
|RMS Power Output||17 watts|
|Peak Output||52 watts|
|RMS Power Bandwidth||20-20kHz|
|Sub Preamp Outputs||No|
|Switchable Rear Preamp Outputs||Yes|
|Preamp Voltage||2 volts|
|Key Button Color||White|
|Steering Wheel Control Compatible||Adapter required|
|Parts Warranty||1 Year|
|Labor Warranty||1 Year|
|FM Sensitivity||8 dBf|
|Radio Data System||Yes|
6.1" WVGA Touchscreen Display: The Sony XAV-63 DVD receiver features an integrated 6.1" widescreen (17:9) touchscreen LCD monitor. The LCD monitor has a high resolution of 800 (H) x 480 (V) x RGB; with 1,152,000 total pixels. The LCD monitor provides touchscreen controls with interactive video graphics, making menu navigation easy. The head unit has a front-loading disc-slot to make loading your disc easier, because there is no panel to slide or fold-down.
Gesture Commands: You can perform frequently-used operations by making command strokes across the XAV-63's touchscreen display. Draw a horizontal line left-to-right to skip/seek forward or draw a horizontal line right-to-left to skip/seek backward. You can also draw a vertical line upwards to fast-forward a video or skip forward in a folder; as well as draw a vertical line downwards to reverse a video or skip backward in a folder.
Front Panel Controls: In addition to the head unit's touchscreen controls, the XAV-63 also offers a rotary knob and hard-key buttons along the left side of the screen.
Background Screen: You can select between 4 background screens. Choose from a Black background, Blue background, Landscape background, or Patterned background.
Picture EQ: You can select a picture quality mode suitable for the interior brightness of your vehicle. You can choose from Dynamic, Standard, Theater, Sepia, or Custom (1/2). The Custom (1/2) Picture EQ modes allow you to make your own picture quality settings by adjusting the picture tones manually. You can adjust the Brightness, Color, and Color Tone (warm/normal/cool).
Aspect Ratio: You can change the screen's aspect ratio of the DVD receiver's LCD monitor to suit your video content. You can choose from Normal, Wide, Full, or Zoom.
Multi-Language Display: For your convenience, this unit is equipped with a multiple language display. You can select the language which is best suited to your first language; English, Spanish, or Russian.
Track List: The Sony XAV-63 displays a list of albums, folders, tracks, images, or video files stored on a disc or USB device, so you can quickly search your audio/video content.
Parking Brake Detection: To prevent the displaying of video while the vehicle is in motion, the light green wire in the supplied 22-pin harness must be connected to the vehicle's parking brake detection circuit. While the vehicle is in motion (parking brake off), you can still view all of the other displays and menus.
Dimmer: To change the brightness of the display you can set the XAV-63 to one of two dimmer modes; Dimmer Auto (dims the display automatically when you turn your vehicle's lights on), or Dimmer On (display always dim). You can adjust the dimmer level from -5 to +5.
Auto Off: When installing in a vehicle without an accessory power wire at the radio location, you can set the unit to turn off all lighting a set amount of time after you turn the power off. The Auto Off feature can be set to 30 seconds, 30 minutes, 60 minutes, or No.
2-DIN Chassis: The Sony XAV-63 has a 2-DIN chassis (also known as Double-DIN), and will fit in many vehicles with a large dash opening. The unit can be ISO-mounted using factory brackets. The unit does not come with a mounting sleeve to Euro-mount the radio. As always, please consult Crutchfield's Outfit My Car to verify fit with your vehicle.
Compatible Discs: The Sony XAV-63 supports playback of DVD-Video, DVD-R/RW, DVD+R/RW, DVD-/+R DL, CD-Audio, CD-R/RW, and VCD discs.
Note: The unit has a front-loading disc-slot to make loading your disc easier, because there is no panel to slide or fold-down.
MPEG-4/Xvid Playback: The XAV-63 also supports video playback of MPEG-4/Xvid (720 x 480/30fps) NTSC video files recorded onto DVD-R/W and DVD+R/W discs.
JPEG Playback: This unit can play back JPEG (720 x 480) still image files recorded onto DVD-R/W, DVD+R/W discs.
MP3/WMA/AAC Playback: The Sony XAV-63 allows you to playback CD-Rs, CD-RWs, CD-ROMs loaded with MP3 (48-192 kbps), WMA (64-192 kbps), or AAC (40-320 kbps) songs recorded in ISO 9660 level 1 or 2, Joliet/Romeo, or Multi-Session. The XAV-63 can support up 256 folders, and a combined 2,000 folders and files on a disc. The head unit will also display song information for MP3 (15/30/63/126-characters), WMA (63-characters), and AAC (126-characters) music files.
Note: Copyright protected ACC-LC files cannot be played back.
Compressed Audio Display Information: The DVD receiver can display the following CD-TEXT or ID3/WMA-tag information; Track number, Elapsed playing time, Artist name, and Song/Album tile.
Quick-BrowZer: The unit's Quick-BrowZer feature allow you to search for a track on a MP3/WMA/AAC disc easily by category (Genre, Artist, Album, or Playlist).
Zappin: With the Zappin feature, you can play music (files or folders) in 6, 15, or 30-second clips until you find the song you are looking for on your MP3/WMA/AAC disc.
Direct Search: You can directly locate a desired point on a disc by specifying the title number, chapter number, track, image, or file.
Repeat and Shuffle Play: The Sony XAV-63 provides Repeat and Shuffle playback modes for various media content.
- Repeat: DVD (Title/Chapter), CD/VCD (Track), MP3/WMA/AAC (Track/Album), JPEG (Image/Album), MPEG-4/Xvid (Movie/Album).
- Shuffle: DVD (Title), CD/VCD (Disc), MP3/WMA/AAC/JPEG/MPEG-4 (Album)
Multi-Disc Resume: The Sony XAV-63 can store the playback resume settings in its memory for up to 5 DVD discs.
Off Insert/Eject: A disc can be inserted or ejected with the power off. The head unit will automatically begin disc playback, when a disc is inserted with the receiver set to a different source or powered off.
Auto Reload: The DVD receiver will automatically reinsert the disc if it's ejected, but not removed for 20 seconds or more.
Mounting Angle: For proper DVD/CD playback, this unit must be mounted between 0 (horizontal) and 45-degrees.
USB Port: The receiver's front-panel USB (type-A) port can be used for plugging in a (MSC) Mass Storage Class or MTP (Media Transfer Protocol) type USB device. The head unit can play music files stored on the USB device in MP3, WMA, or AAC formats (up to 320 kbps). The head unit also supports JPEG still-image files, as well as Xvid and MPEG-4 video files stored on a compatible USB memory device. The head unit can recognize up to 128 folders with 500 tracks each when connected to a USB Mass Storage Device. The XAV-63 offers the following USB search, playback, and display functions.
- Search Modes:
- Quick-BrowZer: allows you to search for a track on a connected USB device easily by category (Genre, Artist, Album, or Playlist)
- Jump Mode: gets you closer to the song you want by allowing you to fast forward through a music category in 10% increments
- Zappin: play music (files or folders) in 6, 15, or 30-second clips until you find the song you are looking for on your connected USB device
- Playback Modes:
- Repeat: repeat a single track or repeat an entire album
- Random: shuffle all tracks or a specific album
- Display Information:
- Numeric Text: track number and elapsed playing time
- Alphanumeric Text: song title, artist name, and album label
Note: This unit cannot recognize USB devices via a USB hub. Not all MP3, WMA, AAC files may playback due to file variations. Copyright protected ACC-LC files cannot be played back.
Content Transfer/SensMe Online Software: The Content Transfer/SensMe online software can organize your music into playlists that perfectly match your mood, scene, and location, making it easier to choose the music that fits the moment. SensMe actually looks at the beats-per-minute and automatically groups your music (stored on your windows-based computer) into channels, making listening and managing all of your content even simpler. Once you have downloaded & used the SensMe software to organize your PC's music, you can then transfer that music to your USB device (Not iPod/iPhone) for playback on the Sony head unit. You can select & play a channel that fits your mood from the following categories.
- Time of Day: Tracks are recommended for each time of day. Choose from Morning, Daytime, Evening, Night, or Midnight.
- Music Type: Plays tracks according to the music type. Choose from Energetic, Relax, Upbeat, Mellow, Lounge, Emotional, Dance, and Extreme.
- Driving Type: Plays track that are suitable for type of driving. Choose from Freeway, Chillout Drive, Weekend Trip, Midnight Cruise, Party Ride, Morning Commute, and Going Home.
- Mood Map: Distributes tracks as dots on a two-axis mood map, based on the characteristics of individual tracks (last 200 tracks transferred). Simply touch a point on the map according to your Mood (Sad/Happy), Type (Acoustic/Electronic), Style (Soft/Hard), or Time (Morning/Midnight) and a circle appears around the touched point, and the tracks inside that circle are played.
Note: Download of the Content Transfer/SensMe online software to your windows-based computer is required to enable the SensMe function on this head unit. The software must be downloaded to your PC & then music content must be transferred to a USB (MSC) device. The SensMe software is not compatible with iPod or iPhone.
System Requirements: Your Windows-based computer must meet the following system requirements.
|CPU||Intel Pentium III Processor 450 MHz or higher|
|OS||Windows 7 (SP1), Windows Vista (SP1 or later), Windows XP (SP2 or later)|
|RAM||256 MB or more (for Windows XP), 512 MB or more (for Windows Vista or later)|
|Monitor||High color (16-bit) or more, 800 x 600 dots or more|
Note: 64-bit & Media Center versions of Windows XP are not supported. Not compatible Mac.
iPod/iPhone 2-Wire Connectivity: The front-panel USB port and front-panel 3.5mm AV input are compatible with select iPod/iPhone devices when used with the optional Sony RC-202IPV adapter (RC-202IPV, sold separately). One end of the cable plugs directly into your iPod's dock connector while the other end of the cable uses two connectors that plug into the front of the XAV-63. The USB type-A connector portion of the cable plugs into the receiver's front-panel USB port and handles the metadata, control, charging, and audio playback of your iPod/iPhone, so you can navigate through your music and video files using the head unit's touchscreen controls and view song and movie info, as well as album art on its display. The 3.5mm AV connector of the cable plugs into the unit's front-panel 3.5 AV input and transfers the video images from your iPod/iPhone to the Sony head unit. Video can only be displayed while the vehicle is in park. If you require audio playback only, you can simply plug your compatible iPod/iPhone directly into the head unit's front-panel USB port using your iPod/iPhone's dock connector cable (no additional adapter required).
Note: If you have an iPod nano (7th gen), iPod touch (5th gen), or iPhone 5/5C/5S; use the Lighting-to-USB cable that came with your Apple device to connect to the head unit. These Apple devices only support audio playback (no video output).
Bypass iPod DAC: The USB Direct Connection enables high-speed iPod/iPhone data communications via the optional RC-202IPV (2-Wire) interface. The USB connection allows your iPod/iPhone's stored music to be loaded instantly to the head unit and sound quality to be maximized through the head unit's 24-bit D/A converter, allowing for a Signal to Noise ratio up to 120dB.
iPod Navigation: The controls of the XAV-63 are seamless when used with the optional RC-202IPV and include metadata browsing, as well as the ability to choose from various playback & search modes to suit your listening application. You can also choose to control your iPod/iPhone from its touchscreen or clickwheel.
- Head Unit Control: The head unit's Quick-BrowZer feature allows you to browse your iPod/iPhone's music library by Album, Track, Genre, Playlist, Artist, or Music Podcast. You can browse your videos by Movie, Rental, TV Show, Music Video, Playlist, or Video Podcast. You can then search within a specific Quick-BrowZer category alphabetically (A-Z). With the unit's Zappin feature, you can play music tracks & albums in 6, 15, or 30-second clips until you find the song you are looking for on your connected iPod/iPhone. The XAV-63 also supports Repeat (Track/Album) & Shuffle (Album) playback modes.
- Passenger App Control: The Passenger App control mode allows you to
control stored audio/video content from your connected iPod/iPhone's
clickwheel or touchscreen. This is very useful for the person riding in your
passenger seat. VThe iPod Passenger mode also lets you
listen to your favorite music apps, such as
Slacker streamed to your iPhone (iOS 3.0+) through the Sony head
unit and your vehicle's speakers. You can even watch video on the Sony DVD
receiver's touchscreen from streaming movie apps, such as
Netflix & YouTube, downloaded on your iPhone 4/4S (iOS 4.0+),
via the SonyRC-202IPV iPod cable (sold separately). Video can only be
accessed when the vehicle is in park and the hand-brake is fully engaged. Not all apps will be compatible, and you
will continue to control all app functions via your iPhone's touchscreen.
Note: Access to your iPhone's downloaded applications will depend on the availability of a cellular and/or WiFi network for purposes of allowing your iPhone to connect to the Internet.
Music Information: The multimedia head unit will display your iPod/iPhone's stored music file information; including Track number, Elapsed playing time, Song Title, Artist/Album Name, and Album Art. The head unit will not display metadata information from streamed music apps; in this case head unit only displays the message "Passenger App Control". You will continue to view song/artist information from music apps on your iPhone's touchscreen.
Charging: The head unit's USB connection provides 1A of current to power and charge your connected iPod/iPhone when your vehicle's ignition switch is set to the 'ACC' or 'On' position. If your iPod/iPhone has no initial battery charge, then this unit will not recognize it. This unit does not charge the iPad.
iPod/iPhone Compatibility Chart: The Sony XAV-63 is "Made for iPod/iPhone" compatible and supports the following iPod/iPhone model features (as of 9/19/2013):
|iPod/iPhone||Generation||Tested Version||Media Type||Control Type||Display Type||Charge|
|Audio||Video||Head Unit||iPod/App||Song/Artist Text||Track Info||Album Art|
Note: Apple iPod/iPhone software updates may change functionality results. If you download a newer software version, you may need to reset the head unit and your iPod/iPhone to regain functionality. If this doesn't work, you may need to wait until a newer software update is available.
Digital Clarity Tuner: The Sony XAV-63 is equipped with a Digital Clarity Tuner for clear AM/FM stereo sound with digital processing technology.
RDS: Radio Data System (RDS) feature displays radio broadcast information such as artist, title, and album when listening to compatible FM stations. FM stations with Radio Data System (RDS) service send inaudible digital information along with the regular radio program signal.
Preset Tuning: The radio features 5 memory bands to store and receive AM/FM stations. You can store up to 6 presets each in FM1, FM2, FM3, AM1 and AM2 (total: 18 FM/12 AM). Preset tuning can be done manually or automatically.
- Best Tuning Memory (BTM): This feature selects stations with the best signals within the selected band and stores them in order of their frequency. You can select from FM1, FM2, FM3, AM1, and AM2.
- Manual Tuning: You can manually tune and find your favorite radio stations one by one for FM1, FM2, FM3, AM1, and AM2.
Manual/Seek Tuning: The XAV-63 allows you to manual tune or seek tune AM/FM stations.
- Manual Tuning: You can manually tune & find your favorite radio stations one by one.
- Seek Tuning: You can use the seek button to help you search quickly through the available AM/FM stations.
HD Radio Ready: The Sony XAV-63 is compatible with Sony's optional XT-100HD add-on HD Tuner (158XT100HD, sold separately) through its UniLink Bus connection. HD Radio technology, where available, offers higher quality sound than conventional analog broadcasts and receives text data. HD Radio provides FM broadcasts that are equal to CD sound quality and AM broadcasts that are as good as analog FM stereo broadcasts. HD Radio also provides a variety of data, including station name, song title, artist name, album name, etc. Once connected, all AM and FM broadcasts are received by the XT-100HD. HD appears as an additional source, with five preset banks; HD1 (FM1), HD2 (FM2), HD3 (FM3), HD4 (AM1), and HD5 (AM2). In addition to conventional broadcasts, with HD Radio broadcasting it is possible to choose from up to 8 multicast programs (HD1 to HD8 and analog). There are also data programs for each program.
Note: HD Radio is the system for digital AM and FM broadcasting in the U.S. More than 2,000 radio stations are broadcasting their primary signals in digital HD Radio technology, as a free service. Go to HDRadio.com to check for HD Radio stations in your area.
Satellite Radio Ready: There are several options for connecting an optional satellite radio receiver to this head unit:
- SIRIUS Satellite Radio: To receive SIRIUS Satellite Radio, you can connect the optional SCC1 SiriusConnect Vehicle Tuner and the optional SNYSC1 Sony interface module (package item number 700SIRSONY, sold separately). You can also connect select dock-and-play and portable SIRIUS radios to the head unit via the Sony SNYSC1 interface module (607SNYSC1, sold separately) and the SiriusConnect Plug & Play Dock (607SCVDOC1, sold separately).
- XM Satellite: A portable XM satellite radio receiver can be connected to the head unit's front-panel 3.5mm Aux input.
Note: A subscription is also required to receive satellite radio programming from SIRIUS or XM.
Dual A/V Inputs: The Sony XAV-63 DVD receiver is fitted with two audio/video inputs.
- Front Panel A/V (3.5mm) Input: The unit features a front-panel 3.5mm audio/video input on the front panel of the head unit for connecting a temporary external A/V source, such as a game console. This input also serves as the A/V input for your USB-connected iPod (using proprietary Sony cable).
- Rear Panel A/V (Composite) Input: The head unit also features a composite video/stereo audio RCA input on the rear panel for connecting a permanent external A/V source, such as a Blu-ray player or mobile ATSC tuner. The rear-panel A/V input shares it stereo RCA connection with the head unit's UniLink connection.
Video Output: There is rear-panel composite video output for connecting an external display. The rear-panel composite video output will display whatever video source is being played on the DVD receiver. You can select an aspect ratio suitable for your connected monitor. You can choose from 16:9, 4:3 Letter-Box, or 4:3 Pan&Scan.
Rear View Camera: The Sony XAV-63 is equipped with a composite video Rear View Camera input. You can view a Normal or Reversed (mirror) image, as well as display marker lines to assist you while backing up. The head unit features a function that automatically switches to the rear camera image (Rear View Camera In jack) when an optional rear camera (such as the 158XAR800C, sold separately) is installed on your vehicle. When your vehicle's shift lever is in the reverse position, the screen automatically switches to the rear view camera (the purple/white wire, attached to rear-chassis), must be connected to the vehicle's reverse lamp circuit for automatic video switching). Automatic video switching takes approximately 1.2 seconds. Audio from your music source will continue playing, while the back-up camera is displayed.
True Fidelity Sound Construction: The Sony XAV-63 DVD receiver features a newly developed sound processor for less distortion, an S-MOSFET IC for smooth signal transmission, and a large-sized capacitor for deep bass sound.
Dynamic Reality Amp: The XAV-63 is equipped with Sony's Dynamic Reality Amp to produce 3-dimensional sound staging for more realistic sound inside your vehicle.
24 Bit D/A Converter: The Sony XAV-63 utilizes a 24-bit digital to analog converter for superior sound quality.
CEA2006 Compliant Amplifier: The power specifications for the Sony XAV-63 are compliant with the CEA2006 Mobile Amplifier Power Testing and Measurement standards from the Consumer Electronics Association (CEA). These standards were developed as a way to equitably compare power specs from model to model and between manufacturers. The power output specs for the XAV-63 are as follows:
- Continuous Power Output: 17 watts RMS x 4 channels (at 4 ohms, 20Hz-20kHz, 1% THD-N)
- Peak Power Output: 52 watts x 4-channels (208 total watts)
4ch/2V Preamp Outputs: The XAV-63 contains two pair of 2-volt RCA preamp outputs; a front pair and another pair that can be set for the rear channels (fading) or for subwoofer (non-fading) operation.
Subwoofer Controls: When the unit's subwoofer output is activated, the preamp output becomes non-fading and a low pass filter is activated with a selectable cut-off frequency of 50Hz, 60Hz, 80Hz, 100Hz, 100Hz, 120Hz, or Off. In addition, you can select the phase of the subwoofer output from Normal or Reverse. You can adjust the subwoofer preamp output's volume level independently from the head unit's volume control from -6 to +6 in 1dB increments.
High-Pass Filter: The front and rear speaker outputs offer a selectable high-pass crossover frequency of 50Hz, 60Hz, 80Hz, 100Hz, 100Hz, 120Hz, or Off.
EQ7: You can select an equalizer curve from eight music types; Xplod, Vocal, Edge, Cruise, Space, Gravity, Custom, or Off (Flat). The Custom EQ7 mode allows you to make your own equalizer settings. You can adjust the level (+/-6dB) of seven different frequency bands; Band1 (63Hz), Band2 (160Hz), Band3 (400Hz), Band4 (1kHz), Band5 (2.5khz), Band6 (6.3khz), and Band7 (16.0kHz).
ASE (Advanced Sound Engine): The Sony XAV-63 offers multi-channel playback with its Advanced Sound Engine, featuring Intelligent Time Alignment (ITA) and Center Speaker Optimizer (CSO) to create a virtual 5.1 listening experience to rival the most advanced home theater equipment.
- ITA (Intelligent Time Alignment): This unit can change the localization of sound by delaying the sound output from each speaker and subwoofer to suit your position, giving you the feeling of being in the center of the soundfield wherever you sit in the car. The options for the Listening Positions are - Front Left, Front Right, Front Center, All, Custom, or Off. The Custom ITA mode allows you to precisely calibrate the output from each speaker so that the sound from all speakers reaches the listener at the same time. Simply measure the distance between your listening position and each speaker from 0 to 13.1' (in 0.8125" increments). You can also set the subwoofer distance of the subwoofer to Near, Normal, or Far.
- CSO (Center Speaker Organizer): A typical surround sound systems has 5 speakers (front left/right, rear left/right, center) and 1 subwoofer. CSO allows you to create a virtual center channel speaker even though a real center speaker is not connected.
RBE (Rear Bass Enhancer): RBE enhances the bass sound by applying the low-pass filter setting to the rear speakers. This function allows the rear speakers to work as a subwoofer even if there is no subwoofer connected.
Dolby D Level: You can adjust the audio output level for a DVD recorded in Dolby Digital format, to reduce the volume level differences between disc and source.
Beep Tone: The in-dash head unit provides an audible beep to confirm button operation. This function can be turned On or Off.
Steering Wheel Remote Compatibility: The head unit features an OEM steering wheel remote control input on the rear of the unit that lets you keep your vehicle's factory radio steering wheel remote controls when used with an optional steering wheel audio control adapter (sold separately). Please consult Crutchfield's Outfit My Car to see if your vehicle is compatible.
Optional Remote Control: By using the optional Sony RMX-170 IR remote commander (158RMX170, sold separately), you can wirelessly operate the unit's audio and source controls.
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.